PDA

View Full Version : A Companion Reference Guide--DT.com needs your help!

Matt
11-23-2007, 08:06 AM
This project is looking for serious volunteers from all parts of the site--new members, old members and everything in between.

Obviously any Dark Tower Fan Site worth its salt has got to have a way to search and reference the books in the series. We are talking about a site version of the concordance and book search all under one umbrella. Written top to bottom by the members of this site.

This will be yet another amazing resource for information on the internet about The Dark Tower. This website has already established itself and that sort of repository so the tradition will continue!!

A very large project that will take years to complete. :grouphug:

Please only serious volunteers past this point--we need commitment to see this through. :fairy:

The Dark Tower Reference Companion:
A reference forum linked through Towerpedia! Not viewable from the site but accessible by all through said links.
"References" by person, place or thing. Then grouped into wiki "books" for easy navigation.
A reference mention for every article in the Towerpedia! Every person, place or thing that appears in the series referenced with page number and context.
A table of contents for each article grouped by book that will show other people, places and things from that book
People, places or things mentioned in multiple books will have an article for each book--grouped accordingly
meaning, Roland would have a reference page for each of the books--HUGE!!
Companion based on "references" to the people, places and things of Rolands world. Rolands entry would be other people speaking of him for instance.
This one we need to talk about because we need to create a standard for the structure of what we will put in here. Roland stopping to scratch his ass on page 215 in book three is too much. :lol: Obviously a huge undertaking my friends.

The work will be divided into chapters. A member takes a chapter from any book and adds their name to the list announcing it.

That member combs that chapter for references and writes them down.

Then you give it to me or Daghain--very simple. We'll do the rest.

First piece of criteria to volunteer is that you have a Trade Hardback copy of the book (see references page for ISBN number). Daghain will posts specifics. We all have to use the same "edition" of the book for this so we decided to go with one a bunch of folks might have.

For instance, I have hardbacks only in the last 3...but I can choose a chapter from those if I like and get started.

The second piece of the criteria is commitment. If you choose a chapter and volunteer, please follow through. :huglove:

You'll receive 1000.00 in site money per chapter

Hope this makes sense, I am hoping Bethany can help me keep this first post updated with the list of people who here to volunteer and submit their chapter choice.

Thank you!

The Gunslinger:

No chapters taken

The Drawing of the Three:

No chapters taken

The Waste Lands

No chapters taken

Wizard and Glass

No chapters taken

Wolves of the Calla

No Chapters taken

Song of Susannah

Matt: 12th Stanza: Jake and Callahan

The Dark Tower:

No chapters taken

More on the Companion:

Well, I finally came up with an example of what I am trying to accomplish. I'll add this post to the one at the beginning of the thread.

FAQ on the Companion:

What exactly do you want me to do?
All you have to do is pick a "section" of one book in the series. It must match the criteria above. Some books are divided differently, see the glossary page for clarification.
Let us know which one you are doing by posting or PMing anyone on the staff
Develop your system--an example of mine is below.
Begin with paragraph one, write anything significant the paragraph makes reference too (its actually really easy)
Make sure you keep track of page, section and paragraph numbers
**Hard part** --use a word processor to transcribe the paragraphs that contained a significant reference. (could take weeks)
Send that to me and I will do the restEach paragraph that contains a significant reference will be added to its page. Please try hard on the spelling and stuff, it needs to be right. :thumbsup:

This is what I did, you don't have to mark in your book. I can get another one and its in pencil of course.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/6820/companion1ei1.jpg

This is the note pad I kept:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8692/companion2ts1.jpg

This is a list of the individual references I found in that section (they are called "Stanza's" in the 6th book). Each of these will someday represent a Towerpedia! article with a link to its page that shows the reference for each book.

Why are we doing this?

Once this is done, we should have a visually search able index of each instance in which a particular person place or thing appeared in the books. By approaching it from that perspective, we don't have something that resembles flat retyping the book. Which we cannot do.

This will index it by it. For instance, Black Thirteen will have a wiki page. At the bottom will be links to every place it was mentioned in the books. That is what we will create.

Why so hard?

See above :lol:

Obviously, I am open to suggestions. I already have several pages of my section transcribed so I will be able to show you even more about how it will look in a week or so. Thanks to everyone who is considering helping with this project.

Is there a lot of typing?

Yes.

Darkthoughts
11-23-2007, 08:18 AM
I can help with WaG.

Daghain
11-23-2007, 08:29 AM
You can check the references page in Towerpedia! for the correct editions. I verified the ISBNs last night. :D

Matt
11-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Sweet! Thanks Daghain

I am going to see if I have the right SoS right now

Daghain
11-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Yeah, if anyone has a different edition or thinks I have an incorrect ISBN, let me know. I'll take another look at it. :D

Darkthoughts
11-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Drat - my WaG is the wrong edition. I'm trying to collect the US hardbacks though, so I should be able to help with this eventually.

Daghain
11-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Yeah, I don't know if the page numbers would match up. Hmmm.

Darkthoughts
11-23-2007, 08:37 AM
No, they don't. My WaG is the US version and it's different that way from my UK version.

Daghain
11-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Well, see how you are. :lol:

Darkthoughts
11-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Yes, superior in my European-ness obviously :P :lol:

Daghain
11-23-2007, 08:43 AM
AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Good one!

Darkthoughts
11-23-2007, 08:48 AM
And I'm not even drunk yet! :lol:

Daghain
11-23-2007, 08:49 AM
:rofl: Try harder!

Darkthoughts
11-23-2007, 08:50 AM
1hr and 40 minutes 'til pub time :D

Daghain
11-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Woohoo! :rock:

Matt
11-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Back to topic: I have verified that I have the correct version of Song of Susannah

I will be taking the 12th Stanza: Jake and Callahan

I am really hoping people will check the first post and get involved with this wonderful project. I will post and example of what I am planning after I review this chapter.

Also, I think this is a great opportunity to view the series from a different perspective--through its references.

Daghain
11-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I think putting up an example would help - that way people know exactly what you're looking for. :D

Ruki
11-24-2007, 06:23 PM
yes an example would be good :) i'll be ready to commit to it once i see matt's work and compare it to the chapter so i know what to make a note of and what to ignore. i'm assuming things would mean important things, or will we have a page dedicated to every time the word "shoe" appears?

:( i only have dmg. i can't believe i have a reason to be disappointed about that. why are the first four viking?

Daghain
11-24-2007, 06:34 PM
I tried to use editions that are currently in print, and therefore readily available. :D

Ruki
11-24-2007, 06:50 PM
well dammit that makes too much sense for me to argue.

i have the right versions of 5 & 7 (artist's edition of 6, i'm assuming that would be useless). those should hold me over for a while :)

Daghain
11-24-2007, 07:02 PM
But you should never feel bad if you have Grant editions. :D

Ruki
11-24-2007, 07:13 PM
true. i love my collection :)

ZoNeSeeK
11-25-2007, 05:04 PM
What do you mean by trade hardback? Does that include 1st editions?

Bethany
11-25-2007, 05:23 PM
crap. i'm glad i read this thread.

Daghain
11-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Check the ISBN numbers in the references page of Towerpedia! - those are the editions you'll need to use. I tried to pick ones you could still pick up on Amazon. :D

Daghain
11-25-2007, 05:25 PM
crap. i'm glad i read this thread.

It explains that chat you were in on a whole lot, doesn't it? :lol:

DTrose19
11-25-2007, 05:26 PM
when you say each person doing a chapter are you counting the part 1, 2, 3, and so on or the chapters within the parts as the chapters? These books are set up a bit confusing on that subject.

Randall Flagg
11-25-2007, 06:56 PM
We really need an example.
One thing for sure-once we know what to do, we need not only the specific book edition but also the chapter and pages- simple example
DTIII, The Wastelands chapter 6 pages 201-206

Matt
11-25-2007, 07:01 PM
when you say each person doing a chapter are you counting the part 1, 2, 3, and so on or the chapters within the parts as the chapters? These books are set up a bit confusing on that subject.

This is a very good question. I think that will be driven by how the book itself is set up. SoS in split into Stanza's. Whatever division is listed on the glossary page.

I have been through the one I put up there, taken notes and pics of my notes. Also created the forum (its not visible)...so I should have an example of what I'm trying to accomplish up soon.

Matt
12-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Well, I finally came up with an example of what I am trying to accomplish. I'll add this post to the one at the beginning of the thread.

FAQ on the Companion:

What exactly do you want me to do?

All you have to do is pick a "section" of one book in the series. It must match the criteria above. Some books are divided differently, see the glossary page for clarification.
Let us know which one you are doing by posting or PMing anyone on the staff
Develop your system--an example of mine is below.
Begin with paragraph one, write anything significant the paragraph makes reference too (its actually really easy)
Make sure you keep track of page, section and paragraph numbers
**Hard part** --use a word processor to transcribe the paragraphs that contained a significant reference. (could take weeks)
Send that to me and I will do the restEach paragraph that contains a significant reference will be added to its page. Please try hard on the spelling and stuff, it needs to be right. :thumbsup:

This is what I did, you don't have to mark in your book. I can get another one and its in pencil of course.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/6820/companion1ei1.jpg

This is the note pad I kept:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8692/companion2ts1.jpg

This is a list of the individual references I found in that section (they are called "Stanza's" in the 6th book). Each of these will someday represent a Towerpedia! article with a link to its page that shows the reference for each book.

Why are we doing this?

Once this is done, we should have a visually search able index of each instance in which a particular person place or thing appeared in the books. By approaching it from that perspective, we don't have something that resembles flat retyping the book. Which we cannot do.

This will index it by it. For instance, Black Thirteen will have a wiki page. At the bottom will be links to every place it was mentioned in the books. That is what we will create.

Why so hard?

See above :lol:

Obviously, I am open to suggestions. I already have several pages of my section transcribed so I will be able to show you even more about how it will look in a week or so. Thanks to everyone who is considering helping with this project.

Is there a lot of typing?

Yes.

She-Oy
12-02-2007, 01:18 PM
I wanna play!!!!!

I just checked and I have the correct copy of The Gunslinger...so I can begin at the beginning, if anyone wants me too.

Jean
12-02-2007, 02:15 PM
about typing: I have all the books (except The Revised) already typed. Maybe I just can email the needed chapter to everyone who is doing that, and it would be easier to find the part they're working with, and then copy and paste it, - I mean, after the rest has already been done and pages kept track of (which is impossible in the electronic version I have)? This way the mechanical part of the word won't have to take weeks.

Daghain
12-02-2007, 08:09 PM
I am so not touching this with a ten-foot pole. :lol:

I'm prioritizing new wiki pages based on what gets done here, so I think I have my hands full. :D

Matt
12-03-2007, 09:04 AM
about typing: I have all the books (except The Revised) already typed. Maybe I just can email the needed chapter to everyone who is doing that, and it would be easier to find the part they're working with, and then copy and paste it, - I mean, after the rest has already been done and pages kept track of (which is impossible in the electronic version I have)? This way the mechanical part of the word won't have to take weeks.

Wow Jean, you literally have all the trade hardbacks already typed? That is amazing.

I would say that we could use that to make things a little smoother. :orely:

Jean
12-03-2007, 09:39 AM
all ready! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Matt
12-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Cool!

Could you email the one you have for Song of Susannah? I would love to check it against what I already have. :nana:

Daghain
12-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Once you guys get organized, if you could post or PM me a list of topics, I'll start prioritizing the entries for Towerpedia! :D

Matt
12-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Sure Daggers--I'm still getting a feel for this thing as we go along. :lol:

Daghain
12-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Well, I have plenty to keep me busy until you get it up and running. :lol:

Jean
12-04-2007, 01:52 AM
Cool!

Could you email the one you have for Song of Susannah? I would love to check it against what I already have. :nana:
sure, PM me your email address

Matt
12-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Its just...

mattrayne@thedarktower.org

:cool:

Jean
12-04-2007, 06:17 AM
sent; but mail behaved in a weird way, so please confirm when you get it, ok?

Matt
12-04-2007, 07:00 AM
I got it Jean, I will unzip and have a look see when I get home.

Thank you!

<--loved the bear hugs. :couple:

Jean
12-04-2007, 07:01 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gif

She-Oy
02-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Just wondering where y'all are at on this? I'd still be willing to contribute, but I think discussion about it just fell off, so I don't know what to do. I know I had done a little bit on the first book.

Matt
02-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Eeek! I'm so sorry Heather, this kind of slipped to the back burner with the fund raiser kicking up.

I still very much want to do it but it may end up being a second year thing.

I'm also open to any suggestions on the best way to handle it, its a hell of a project and the closer you look at it...the bigger it gets. :lol:

Erin
02-23-2008, 11:26 PM
I've actually already started a bit on this. It's really fun actually. :D

Daghain
02-24-2008, 09:44 PM
I have my hands full with Towerpedia!, but I can offer proofreading/editing services as needed. :)

Spencer
03-26-2008, 05:44 AM
Wizard and Glass could be tricky. Are we talking about using the Grant hardcover with the print run of 40,000 for that, or the Viking mass market hardcover released in 2003?

Daghain
03-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Viking. I have a complete list in Towerpedia! in the reference pages. I'd use the ones listed there. Those are the most accessible for the most people. :)

mia/susannah
03-26-2008, 01:38 PM
I would love to help in any way I can. I na help with the Gunslinger or I can help with The Waste Lands. Just let me know.

Matt
03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
We're going to fire this up as the next big project after our anniversary so those of you that want to help, please stay tuned.

MonteGss
03-26-2008, 01:54 PM
I have all of the hardcover versions listed in the References section and once this gets up and running, I would volunteer for something out of Wolves or maybe Wastelands. I have read the entire thread and I have a fairly general idea of what you are looking for but when the time comes, hopefully I can get a little help with specifics. :)
This is such a fricking cool idea!