PDA

View Full Version : Something cool I noticed in my Dark Tower re-read

Tatts4Life
01-09-2012, 11:10 AM
So I'm doing a reread of the Sark Tower series and I think it's even better my second go around. For one It's cool to catch how Roland is thinking about the horn and also his fallen friends. After reading the last book reading those parts again really makes things that more interesting for me at least.

noal
01-11-2012, 02:14 PM
So I'm doing a reread of the Sark Tower series and I think it's even better my second go around. For one It's cool to catch how Roland is thinking about the horn and also his fallen friends. After reading the last book reading those parts again really makes things that more interesting for me at least.

Same with me!
nearly finished WotC and you definitely notice those parts more second time around.

Walkingman79
10-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Yes I am amped up even more the second go around.My senses are heightened as I become a fly on the wall in Midworld and it seems fitting to at least read the series two times.The man in black fled through the dessert,and the gunslinger followed was magical and mystical for me and I was all-in from that opening line till the last sentence of TDT my first time through.Now that line is on a whole new level!!!(of the tower:cowboy:)I feel like it's Christmas morning in Midworld for me.

Merlin1958
10-17-2013, 01:52 PM
I have read it 5 times, not to mention the "installment" re-reads over the years of publication. Still, the ending floored me at first, but re-reads after that put it all in perspective. I envy your youth and enthusiasm!!! Enjoy!!!

Walkingman79
10-17-2013, 07:27 PM
5 times!You're a Dark Tower jedi!Maybe when I get into TDOT we can start to bounce some ideas around,I would love to hear your perspective.When it comes to baseball teams though I'm with the force and you're on the dark side......:P In all seriousness though I resect the Yanks and we are DT kinfolk.

Tatts4Life
10-19-2013, 07:20 AM
I have read it 5 times, not to mention the "installment" re-reads over the years of publication. Still, the ending floored me at first, but re-reads after that put it all in perspective. I envy your youth and enthusiasm!!! Enjoy!!!

LOL I'll be starting my fourth re read of this series soon.

Merlin1958
10-19-2013, 12:52 PM
5 times!You're a Dark Tower jedi!Maybe when I get into TDOT we can start to bounce some ideas around,I would love to hear your perspective.When it comes to baseball teams though I'm with the force and you're on the dark side......:P In all seriousness though I resect the Yanks and we are DT kinfolk.

I'd be very happy to discuss the volumes in the proper established threads. I have a "pet theory" regarding, Roland and the End, you might find interesting.

As far as the "Evil Empire" goes, the Sux owe more to their poor choices and top to bottom mismangement over the years, than to any "Evil Empire" theories. Oh and maybe the musical "No, No Nannette"!!! LOL

Walkingman79
10-19-2013, 08:45 PM
I decided to wait until today to start.The 19th seemed too good to pass up.I can tell I'm really going to enjoy this the second time through.I burned through half the book this afternoon and have already had so many aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh ha moments.It's a long series but I love it and I really get the feeling a reread is essential even for a constant reader with very high reading comprehension.I'm going to see if I can finish the Gunslinger tonight.......can't sleep after that baseball game!Ya ken?

Merlin1958
10-21-2013, 09:42 PM
I decided to wait until today to start.The 19th seemed too good to pass up.I can tell I'm really going to enjoy this the second time through.I burned through half the book this afternoon and have already had so many aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh ha moments.It's a long series but I love it and I really get the feeling a reread is essential even for a constant reader with very high reading comprehension.I'm going to see if I can finish the Gunslinger tonight.......can't sleep after that baseball game!Ya ken?

Appropriate indeed!! You are not helping us to interact with remarks aimed at the "Evil Empire"!! LOL LOL However, since you are new I will grant a one time only "Pass". After that, you are on your own and in hostile territory when it comes to me!! LOL (sort of, pending future relations) LOL

Walkingman79
10-22-2013, 12:11 PM
I finished yesterday and although I agree with the decision for sai King to revise the first it does take a bit away from the mystical foreshadowing he achieves in this book.It is a page turner with a lot of interesting characters and awe inspiring settings that grab hold of my imagination(ironic when you think of our protagonist)and wisk me away back to Midworld with familiar ease.I really enjoy the palaver between the man in black and Roland after the slow mutants.I have had many existential palavers around many campfires until the wee hours of the morning long before I read this chapter and I honestly forgot how cool that part was.I especially like the baby chick in the egg metaphor when talking about reaching the end of time and space.I have had that exact epiphany with a friend of mine and I am going to have him read at least that chapter and mayhap the whole series if his attention permits it. Jake....my little buddy Jake.It was great to see him again in my minds eye and thank Ka that there are "other worlds than these" or that moment had potential to ruin the entire series to me and it still seems odd that Roland would so blindly trust the man in black but Ka was at work and Ka is a wheel.

Ross
04-20-2015, 11:51 AM
I am about to re-read the Gunslinger tonight. Just finished Wizard and Glass last night and wont have my hands on Wind through the keyhole until tomorrow. I have the original version of The Gunslinger. Should I be reading the revised version for better understanding or is it not that important?

Dan
04-20-2015, 12:41 PM
I am about to re-read the Gunslinger tonight. Just finished Wizard and Glass last night and wont have my hands on Wind through the keyhole until tomorrow. I have the original version of The Gunslinger. Should I be reading the revised version for better understanding or is it not that important?

The revised has many references to future books that were not. I would read the revised, if it were me.

fernandito
04-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Read the revised.

jhanic
04-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Personally, I prefer the original. Just me.

John

Ross
04-21-2015, 07:23 AM
Unfortunately I only have the original. I read it last night. And I am glad I did. Although I plan on reading the revised (probably on my next go around of the series), I did take away a lot more my second time around. It was nice to already have some back story from the Wizard and Glass to help me better rationalize some of Roland's decision making as he made his way through Tull and closer to the man in black. I am going to start Wind through the Keyhole tonight. My goal is to finish the series in the next month or two (I have a 2 year old and a very pregnant wife so my reading time is going to he diminished severely in the next few weeks when the baby comes).

Quick question.. In the revised version does Roland recognize Sheb?

stroppygoblin
04-21-2015, 08:01 AM
Quick question.. In the revised version does Roland recognize Sheb?

Yes he does, although the meeting is brief.

He was just a little man. And the gunslinger suddenly knew where he had seen him before. Known him before. “It was for you,” Sheb sobbed. “It was only for you, Allie. It was you first and it was all for you. I—ah, oh God, dear God...” The words dissolved into a paroxysm of unintelligibilities, finally to tears. He rocked back and forth holding his broken wrists to his belly. “Shhh. Shhh. Let me see.” She knelt beside him. “Broken. Sheb, you ass. How will you make your living now? Didn’t you know you were never strong?” She helped him to his feet. He tried to hold his hands to his face, but they would not obey, and he wept nakedly. “Come on over to the table and let me see what I can do.” She led him to the table and set his wrists with slats of kindling from the fire box. He wept weakly and without volition. “Mejis,” the gunslinger said, and the little piano player looked around, eyes wide. The gunslinger nodded, amiably enough now that Sheb was no longer trying to stick a knife in his lights. “Mejis,” he said again. “On the Clean Sea.” “What about it?” “You were there, weren’t you? Many and many-a, as they did say.” “What if I was? I don’t remember you.” “But you remember the girl, don’t you? The girl named Susan? And Reap night?” His voice took on an edge. “Were you there for the bonfire?” The little man’s lips trembled. They were covered with spit. His eyes said he knew the truth: he was closer to dead now than when he’d come bursting in with a knife in his hand. “Get out of here,” the gunslinger said. Understanding dawned in Sheb’s eyes. “But you was just a boy! One of them three boys! You come to count stock, and Eldred Jonas was there, the Coffin Hunter, and—” “Get out while you still can,” the gunslinger said, and Sheb went, holding his broken wrists before him.

Johnny Alien
04-21-2015, 08:50 AM
I actually find the revised to be more confusing as the 2-4 books are still based on the original text not the revised. The Man in Black/Walter thing is the most specific issue I have.

Girlystevedave
04-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I didn't like the overabundance of foreshadowing in the revised version of The Gunslinger.

Ross
04-21-2015, 10:09 AM
Thanks Stroppygoblin. I was wondering what the interaction was like after the revision. Have just finished Wizard and reading The Gunslinger last night it was on my mind. That and Sylvia Pittiston, I know she was mentioned in Wizard and Glass but only briefly.

SpyGuy
08-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Personally, I did not even look at the revised edition until I had read the entire series (including Wind Through The Keyhole) first. My journey started with the original book, went through all the books in order (with WTTK in its proper place at 4.5, after W&G), and ended with the revised edition. To me, it just made more sense that way.