PDA

View Full Version : Rate the Last TV Show You Saw

DoctorDodge
12-31-2011, 06:23 AM
I'm setting up this thread because not only did I feel the need to review the first season of the Wire, but also because there will be a few shows that I'll most likely see and think they are not so great. I'm thinking this thread can be used to review a show based on one episode or by a whole season.

So, I'll start off.

The Wire - Season One

So I finally started checking this out a few weeks ago. It seemed appropriate to review it as a whole season rather than one episode, as it's novelistic structure - of crafting one season long story with a beginning, middle and ending - meant it took a few episodes to put the pieces into place and for the main group of characters - from narcotics and homicide divisions - to truly become a team. It's an interesting approach to take with the series. Even more interesting is that, for one whole season, it's all really focused on trying to arrest one suspect.

Not that it's character focus is narrow. One thing I really grew to appreciate in the series was its huge cast of characters, as it not only focused on the lives of the police but also the criminals, too. In time, there's a lot of characters that we begin to care about on both sides of the law, and a lot of characters we grow to hate, too. One interesting problem added to the mix was the amount of bureacratic bullshit the team had to deal with in trying to get enough evidence to arrest this one single suspect, as the team will sometimes be told to make an arrest that won't only hold up in court but also fuck up the case, purely for the sake of bringing statistics up, or effectively told to look the other way if one direction they follow the case in leads to something a little bigger than drug dealers.

With such a large focus, it more than makes up for its first few episodes where arguably, very little of the main plot happens. However, even these episodes were very watchable, with its characters feeling completely real and even some great moments of humour added in (one of my favourites being two cops bringing in a drug dealer and telling a bullshit story about a man he'd shot just to get him to write a letter of apology to the victim's mother).

The dvd box set really helps in watching this show, as there's less of the usual structure of having something resolved by the end of an episode and more of one long story broken down into 13 parts, so it can certainly help in remembering something brought up in the finale that was mentioned in the first episode when you only watched it a couple of weeks before. The show may not be for everyone, and it's got a fair bit to go before I can describe it as "the greatest tv show ever made" as a few fans seem to describe it, but not that much. It's an extremely well made, incredibly complex series that has far, far more to it than the surface plot of cops trying to arrest one man. I've heard the other seasons each have a very different focus, both on what the case is and on the city of Baltimore, which considering how much was resolved by the end of the first season is very fitting. I'll be interested in seeing where the show goes next, certainly. 9/10

Mattrick
12-31-2011, 05:17 PM
Dexter Season Six: A very good season of Dexter. The character's bounced off each other the best they ever had this season. There was a great nostalgia filled episode which took Dexter to Nebraska. I enjoyed the villains a lot this season and the religious avenues the show explored, it brought out some interesting sides in Dexter. The ending of course opens the show up to go down many possible directions and the next season should be excellent.

DoctorDodge
01-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Eternal Law

Just finished watching the first ep of this show. It's about two angels sent down to Earth to work as lawyers, with their clients sent to them from "Mr. Mountjoy" (better known as God). It's an interesting mashup of two very different genres, although not exactly original, as anyone who's seen A Matter of Life and Death will tell you (including the creators). It's got some interesting ideas, and there's a nice amount of mystery to many of the characters to slowly be revealed over the coming weeks, although the lawyer parts were a little too...traditional for me. I'll continue watching it, but I'm hoping it'll get better over the coming weeks. 6/10

fernandito
01-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Dexter Season Six: A very good season of Dexter. The character's bounced off each other the best they ever had this season. There was a great nostalgia filled episode which took Dexter to Nebraska. I enjoyed the villains a lot this season and the religious avenues the show explored, it brought out some interesting sides in Dexter.

Slang me some of that weed you're smoking.

Ricky
01-05-2012, 06:13 PM
:rofl:

DoctorDodge
01-06-2012, 03:22 AM
Dexter Season Six: A very good season of Dexter. The character's bounced off each other the best they ever had this season. There was a great nostalgia filled episode which took Dexter to Nebraska. I enjoyed the villains a lot this season and the religious avenues the show explored, it brought out some interesting sides in Dexter. The ending of course opens the show up to go down many possible directions and the next season should be excellent.

Slang me some of that weed you're smoking.

Hmmm, now you've really got me interested in Dexter. A season that polarises opinion between you two interests me more than the widely critically acclaimed past few seasons before it. (This probably has to do with Carnivale and my early experience of Fringe so far, although I'll continue watching both in order to see if they get as great as everyone says they are. Ricky's recommendation that it does get much better by the season 1 finale gives me some hope.) It's like The Ghost - as a political conspiracy thriller, it's pretty shit and is incredibly slow moving, but as another Polanski movie that's full of tiny details and great subtleties, I thought it was absolutely great. I loved it, but I can see how others were bored by it. If I had gone to watch it expecting a fast paced conspiracy thriller like all the trailers suggested, I probably would have hated it. Hmm, maybe I'll start catching up on Dexter before season 7 starts. (Don't worry feev: Breaking Bad is still top of the list, after I'm done with season one of Carnivale and Cracker.)

Ricky
01-06-2012, 08:40 AM
All you need to do is watch the first episode of Dexter and if you aren't compelled to watch the next episode(s) right away, I'll be incredibly suprised. Dexter seasons are shorter than Fringe's by about 10-12 episodes, so I don't know if you'd take that into consideration with your viewing schedule.

alkanto
01-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Okay, as far as Dexter is concerned, how graphic does it get in terms of bloody violence? I'm thinking about maybe trying to start watching it....at least, I would start watching it. Who knows when I'd finish, as busy as my currect TV schedule is and with school starting on Monday....

DoctorDodge
01-06-2012, 08:45 AM
All you need to do is watch the first episode of Dexter and if you aren't compelled to watch the next episode(s) right away, I'll be incredibly suprised. Dexter seasons are shorter than Fringe's by about 10-12 episodes, so I don't know if you'd take that into consideration with your viewing schedule.

A lot of the best American shows I've watched seem to be about that length per season: Deadwood, Rome, The Sopranos, and The Wire. They're also sometimes a full hour per ep. How long are the Dexter eps? Breaking Bad first, then Dexter, I think, as feev's really recommended the former, but I'll get back to watching Fringe while the Life on Mars watch is going on.

Ricky
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Okay, as far as Dexter is concerned, how graphic does it get in terms of bloody violence? I'm thinking about maybe trying to start watching it....at least, I would start watching it. Who knows when I'd finish, as busy as my currect TV schedule is and with school starting on Monday....

For the most part, they cut away when Dexter has his victims "on the table", but the series definitely doesn't shy away from blood. You definitely are aware of what's going on. Lots of blood, language, and sex.

A lot of the best American shows I've watched seem to be about that length per season: Deadwood, Rome, The Sopranos, and The Wire. They're also sometimes a full hour per ep. How long are the Dexter eps? Breaking Bad first, then Dexter, I think, as feev's really recommended the former, but I'll get back to watching Fringe while the Life on Mars watch is going on.

Yeah, the 12-episode series doesn't really leave room for dragging things out, which I like.

And I'm pretty sure Dexter episodes are about 50 minutes to an hour (no commercials on Showtime! :D )

fernandito
01-06-2012, 08:54 AM
The Dexter seasons are typically 12-13 episodes, about 45-50 minutes each. The first season of Dexter is probably one of the best S1's I have ever seen, if that counts for anything. All things considered, it's probably the best (though not my personal favorite) season of the show thus far.

And yes, absolutely give priority to Breaking Bad. That show is too good to be placed behind anything else.

fernandito
01-06-2012, 08:54 AM

For the most part, they cut away when Dexter has his victims "on the table", but the series definitely doesn't shy away from blood. You definitely are aware of what's going on. Lots of blood, language, and sex.

+

the occasional severed/mutilated body part(s) when he's investigating a murder.

DoctorDodge
01-06-2012, 08:59 AM
The Dexter seasons are typically 12-13 episodes, about 45-50 minutes each. The first season of Dexter is probably one of the best S1's I have ever seen, if that counts for anything. All things considered, it's probably the best (though not my personal favorite) season of the show thus far.

And yes, absolutely give priority to Breaking Bad. That show is too good to be placed behind anything else.

Ok, I'll definitely watch that the moment I'm finished with Cracker. I'm still amazed at just how brilliant an actor Robbie Coltrane is when most of his face isn't covered by a massive beard. So many great moments. Especially when he lights a cigarette and a woman starts complaining, "Excuse me, this is a school!" "That's where I started." :lol:

alkanto
01-06-2012, 08:59 AM

Awesome...I can handle that. I don't mind blood...I just don't like seeing what causes the blood as much. But I'm sure I can handle it...anyone who has dissected a freshly slain chicken should be able to watch a tv show, right? :lol:

Heather19
01-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Agreed. Although I think it would be my favorite season of the show.

And Breaking Bad above Dexter? I'll have to check it out, I saw it's on instant.

Oh, and I never found Dexter to be overly graphic in terms of violence and gore, but then again I think my tolerance level is pretty high :lol:

fernandito
01-06-2012, 09:25 AM
The thing about Breaking Bad is that it's very consistent. All the seasons are of equally high caliber.

DoctorDodge
01-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Very impressive! Ok, I'll try and watch the last 6 eps of season 1 of Carnivale today and tomorrow before my holiday, so that when I come back next week, I have another high quality show ready to watch.

Ricky
01-06-2012, 12:39 PM
I think TV networks need to go on a 5-year hiatus so I can catch up on all these shows. :lol:

DoctorDodge
01-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Or at least go British and have 6 eps (or even 3, in Sherlock's case) a year! That'll make it a lot easier!

DoctorDodge
01-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Carnivale - Season 1

Have just finished the finale of this. Thoughts? Overall, it's been an ok series. In the last few episodes it even started getting good. But it took far too long beating around the bush to get to that point. While the series had some beautiful moments in its earlier eps, for more than the first half of the season it seemed far too concerned about being 'mysterious' and 'surreal' and refusing to give us anything else. And I don't mean not giving any answers, like Lost - one thing I enjoyed about that show was how much it spent its time on its characters and telling their stories. They certainly seemed more lively and interesting than the characters here, at least when they were introduced. All the characters in Carnivale seemed to be there for the sake of the plot, which considering how little of it is initially given made it really hard to watch, for all the wrong reasons. The tone seems to want to aim for depression, to match the era, but never truly captures that emotion in all its complexity. Even the preacher, who initially seemed to have the most potentially interesting story in the first episode, which could have lead to an interesting crisis of faith character arc, never really went anywhere more than a strictly visual level, plotwise. It never challenged me emotionally or intellectually, and the preacher quickly became one of the least interesting characters for me. Events are slowly built up, but the payoffs are weak and predictable, Babylon being a prime example of this.

Thankfully, in the last few episodes, the characters start to have their own interesting stories, and more complicated relationships, so they slowly start to feel just a bit three-dimensional. The plot starts to speed up, though by the end there's still very little that's clear about what's going on. And there's even moments of humour too, and done just right, made out of how low the workers at the Carnivale have to be in order to survive. And if more had been made out of that much earlier on, if the hardships of the job in both the high and low aspects, the serious and the humourous, had been explored more, then I would've enjoyed this show a lot more. Instead, it's something with a lot of potential but comes across as rather shallow, as it's mostly style and little substance. It eventually got a little better than that, but it took too long to get there, and I'm currently in no rush to watch the 2nd season. 5/10

Mattrick
01-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Lost Season 4

It's a damned shame the writer's strike had to hamper this season. It really could have used the extra couple episodes it should have had to make it a more complete season. With that said it's probably the most underrated season of the show. It tells a very good story from multiple timelines and does it pretty seamlessly. We see characters go down some interesting paths. The new characters introduced are all pretty good, especially Miles and Faraday. And Keamy was just awesome. Some good action sequences, some good humour and some very touching moments. The finale was excellent with probably the best climactic cliffhanger of the series. My biggest complaint about this season was that Charlotte's backstory was cutshort this season due to the writer's strike and we really don't get too much insight into her character's history which is a shame because she obviously understand's history herself. The Constant is probably my all time favourite episode of Lost.

DoctorDodge
01-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Totally agreed, Mattrick. Especially:

The Constant is probably my all time favourite episode of Lost.

:thumbsup: Agreed completely. An excellent use of time travel with some real emotion. I love it.

candy
01-15-2012, 03:29 AM
Eternal Law

Just finished watching the first ep of this show. It's about two angels sent down to Earth to work as lawyers, with their clients sent to them from "Mr. Mountjoy" (better known as God). It's an interesting mashup of two very different genres, although not exactly original, as anyone who's seen A Matter of Life and Death will tell you (including the creators). It's got some interesting ideas, and there's a nice amount of mystery to many of the characters to slowly be revealed over the coming weeks, although the lawyer parts were a little too...traditional for me. I'll continue watching it, but I'm hoping it'll get better over the coming weeks. 6/10

I have this on my planner and keep meaning to watch it (time is against me at the moment)

Has anyone seen Angels in America? I have this too

Looking forward to Fringe restarting soon:unsure:

skyofcrack
01-15-2012, 03:44 AM
Looking forward to Fringe restarting soon:unsure:

Fringe started back up on Friday...here in The States :eek:

candy
01-15-2012, 08:35 AM
we are never normally too far behind you guys - here hoping

DoctorDodge
05-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Watched the first few eps of this last year, but initially, I must admit, I was just a little bit put off. There were some nice ideas, with the standalone cases mixed with some hints of an arc, but that, mixed in with one of the main trio being an FBI agent, reminded me a little too much of X Files for me (which I've still yet to finish). As a result, it didn't seem to have anything new to interest me, with the exception of eccentric scientist Walter Bishop. I thought he was a brilliant character. The other two characters of FBI agent Olivia and shady character Peter were just a little too, for lack of a better word, cliched for me, or at least, typical of a number of US shows.

But, having been convinced that it got better as it went on, I finally got back to it recently, and I'm glad I did. Yes, it still remained a little too standalone and X Files-ey for a few episodes, but eventually, it finally made itself clear that, while it was a show that audiences could watch at almost any point for the "case of the week", not only were the cases becoming more distinctly connected, the show was also making itself clear that it was telling its own story. There was also excellent development given for the characters of both Olivia, having to deal with both major changes to her life, to say the least, and Walter, who slowly finds out more about himself ep by ep.

It all culminates in a finale that not only nicely resolves threads that have been building up throughout the first season, but also sets things up for the rest of the series in a very big way. (Even if I was very "hmm" about the final shot.) Overall, a pretty decent scifi show. 7/10

Ricky
05-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Only "hmm" about the final shot?! :cry:

Merlin1958
05-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Watched the first few eps of this last year, but initially, I must admit, I was just a little bit put off. There were some nice ideas, with the standalone cases mixed with some hints of an arc, but that, mixed in with one of the main trio being an FBI agent, reminded me a little too much of X Files for me (which I've still yet to finish). As a result, it didn't seem to have anything new to interest me, with the exception of eccentric scientist Walter Bishop. I thought he was a brilliant character. The other two characters of FBI agent Olivia and shady character Peter were just a little too, for lack of a better word, cliched for me, or at least, typical of a number of US shows.

But, having been convinced that it got better as it went on, I finally got back to it recently, and I'm glad I did. Yes, it still remained a little too standalone and X Files-ey for a few episodes, but eventually, it finally made itself clear that, while it was a show that audiences could watch at almost any point for the "case of the week", not only were the cases becoming more distinctly connected, the show was also making itself clear that it was telling its own story. There was also excellent development given for the characters of both Olivia, having to deal with both major changes to her life, to say the least, and Walter, who slowly finds out more about himself ep by ep.

It all culminates in a finale that not only nicely resolves threads that have been building up throughout the first season, but also sets things up for the rest of the series in a very big way. (Even if I was very "hmm" about the final shot.) Overall, a pretty decent scifi show. 7/10

You need to watch a few more seasons before you pass judgement. It really goes to some incredible levels in subsequent seasons. Stick with it and you will be rewarded!!!! Otherwise, I will have to have you "Bollocked"!!! LOL LOL LOL

DoctorDodge
05-13-2012, 11:38 PM

Ok, two things here: one, the exact same trick was used near the beginning of the Life on Mars remake the same year, and it didn't really impress me then, and two, I never really like it when the image of a huge tragedy to any country is used for a "shock" reaction. It's just too exploitative, to me. As far as establishing that Olivia's in a parallel universe, yes, it's an easy way to do it, but too easy. Honestly, I would've preferred it if the fact revealed in the final shot wasn't revealed in the cliffhanger, and more casually revealed in the background. The ending of finally meeting William Bell should have been enough. Then again, perhaps reminding me too much of the shit remake of Life on Mars might've just spoilt it for me.

Overall, the finale was satisfying, but definitely not up with the best of them that we got with, say, The Reichenbach Fall for series 2 of Sherlock, or Through the Looking Glass for Lost. Not just shocking, storywise, but both have huge emotional content for the characters. We didn't quite get that with the season 1 finale of Fringe, although I did like the revelation that the Peter we've known is not the one from this world. Wonderfully and subtlely done, and a brilliant performance by John Noble when he visited the grave. Overall, not one of the best finales I've watched, but still pretty darn good.

You need to watch a few more seasons before you pass judgement. It really goes to some incredible levels in subsequent seasons. Stick with it and you will be rewarded!!!! Otherwise, I will have to have you "Bollocked"!!! LOL LOL LOL

Be fair, I should be able to judge the first season on its own merits - that's why I've specifically referred to it as season 1 in my review. And unlike Carnivale, I do plan to watch the 2nd season and hopefully beyond, one month at time, possibly.

Oh, and speaking of "stick with it": where the fuck are my Life on Mars reviews, you bounder? Get back to watching it, right now! :P

candy
05-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I loved the finale of the first series, I am unsure if you (ie the viewer) get something different from finales when you wait each week for an episode as opposed to the glut of box sets. I know I was breathless when I saw the scenes out of the window - I do understand your comment about a tragic event being used for shock tactics, however i didnt see as a shock, more a difference.

Going a little off tangent but not much, I remember when Lost was on each week and how I literally could not wait for the next weeks installment, I was having this conversation with my sister who has just got the box sets and she was a little 'meh' about a lot of the stuff that had me gagging for the next episode, and we reasoned that i had all week to dissect each clue, sentence and character whereas she just pops another disc in.

I think Merlin is quite correct with his comment though, I understand that you have reviewed series one, but you really do get a lot more from the series as it goes on - a little like Matt Smiths first season compared to his second:heart:

DoctorDodge
05-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Then I'll rate season 2 when I get to it. As it is, the first season is pretty good. Not great, but pretty darn good.

As for the shock ending, I just love my shock endings too much. Absolutely love 'em. Lost, Doctor Who, Sherlock, all had great shock endings, and even Fringe. It just feels like a cheat when it's a little out of the blue and there's been no clues to it. Bear in mind, I'm not referring to it being revealed as a parallel universe, that was clear practically instantly, but I just didn't like how the Towers were not only standing in this universe, but apparently revealed to be Spock's Secret Headquarters, too. It just rubbed me the wrong way, really. Her seeing them out of the window would've been better, I think. Just my opinion, really.

Personally, the graveyard was a much better shock - nicely built up, subtle, and powerful, too.

Merlin1958
05-14-2012, 07:49 PM

Ok, two things here: one, the exact same trick was used near the beginning of the Life on Mars remake the same year, and it didn't really impress me then, and two, I never really like it when the image of a huge tragedy to any country is used for a "shock" reaction. It's just too exploitative, to me. As far as establishing that Olivia's in a parallel universe, yes, it's an easy way to do it, but too easy. Honestly, I would've preferred it if the fact revealed in the final shot wasn't revealed in the cliffhanger, and more casually revealed in the background. The ending of finally meeting William Bell should have been enough. Then again, perhaps reminding me too much of the shit remake of Life on Mars might've just spoilt it for me.

Overall, the finale was satisfying, but definitely not up with the best of them that we got with, say, The Reichenbach Fall for series 2 of Sherlock, or Through the Looking Glass for Lost. Not just shocking, storywise, but both have huge emotional content for the characters. We didn't quite get that with the season 1 finale of Fringe, although I did like the revelation that the Peter we've known is not the one from this world. Wonderfully and subtlely done, and a brilliant performance by John Noble when he visited the grave. Overall, not one of the best finales I've watched, but still pretty darn good.

Be fair, I should be able to judge the first season on its own merits - that's why I've specifically referred to it as season 1 in my review. And unlike Carnivale, I do plan to watch the 2nd season and hopefully beyond, one month at time, possibly.

Oh, and speaking of "stick with it": where the fuck are my Life on Mars reviews, you bounder? Get back to watching it, right now! :P

You're right of course, but in my defense I lost the ability to watch it online. Nevertheless, I should get out and rent it. I'm on it, Chief!!!

DoctorDodge
05-15-2012, 02:16 AM
Awesome, boss!

Right, last show I watched: The Office (Original)

On the surface, a cringing comedy about a bunch of exasperated office workers having to deal with an incredibly embarrasing boss that's filmed documentary style. It's something the remake shares, and it's one of the few similarities the two shows do have. Because while the remake is an entertaining sitcom (at least it used to be), the original is a mixture of dark and subtle comedy with a kind of lingering tragedy. No one really wants to work there, with a lot of the main characters clearly feeling trapped by the situation. A true masterclass in subtlety as what's not said in front of the camera is just as important as what is said. Not just in comedy either, but also in terms of drama - the two characters of Tim and Dawn are prime examples of this, as two characters who are so clearly in love with each other but, with Dawn engaged to a git of a fiance and the cameras on them the whole time, neither try and act on it. It is, without a doubt, one of the greatest and most believeable love stories put to screen that I have ever seen.

To me, this is 14 episodes of perfection. I've watched it so many times, and each time I find something new. (This time, it was, "Hold on...this series is a classic study on human misery and downward spirals, a story of how people just find themselves trapped in an office, with no hope of escape. Jean would fucking love this!") The remake is great entertainment, but the original is easily one of the best tv series of all time. 10/10

DoctorDodge
06-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Breaking Bad - Series 1

Here's one I started subscribing to Netflix for, and I'm glad I did. This is one of those shows that I can find very little, if anything to truly fault on - great three-dimensional characters, excellent writing in all the key areas - character development, story and dialogue - and some really great acting, particularly from Bryan Cranston in the lead role of a chemistry teacher with cancer trying to make extra money for his family by making and selling extremely high quality crystal meth. Easier said than done.

The one thing that surprised me the most about this show was the humour, which is very dark and very grim but also very funny and completely in tone with the drama. In the first few episodes at least, the whole thing comes across as a rather dark farce, with one thing going horribly wrong after the next and the two characters face some very difficult choices. This farce element kinda goes away in the second half of the series, which is a shame, as it was the key thing I loved most about the series, providing not just comedy but also some truly challenging drama, but even then, the series continues to be great, with Walter clearly heading down a very dark path. The only problem I had with the finale was that it wasn't really much of a finale, although that can be put down to the writer's strike. Still, a very enjoyable show, and I'm really excited what season 2 will bring. 9/10

stone, rose, unfound door
06-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Mad Men - season 1-4

A very entertaining dive in the ad industry in the 60s with all the glamour and the subtle innuendo you'd expect. Lots of interesting characters, most of them your next door neighbour with all their faults. However, this would typically be interesting for someone working in the ad or comms business, but not so much for other people. I'd recommend it anyway, although the first episode wasn't as great as I hoped it'd be. Every episode helps you understand how every character adapts to an ever-changing world, starting from the late 50s and going all the way to 1965, following a pattern that is very sensible. Not your average sensational show but very pretty, with very classy characters working in Manhattan.

DoctorDodge
06-11-2012, 02:38 PM
When I'm done with The Wire, Mad Men is definitely next on my list of shows to watch. I've heard so many great things about that one.

fernandito
06-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Breaking Bad - Series 1

Here's one I started subscribing to Netflix for, and I'm glad I did. This is one of those shows that I can find very little, if anything to truly fault on - great three-dimensional characters, excellent writing in all the key areas - character development, story and dialogue - and some really great acting, particularly from Bryan Cranston in the lead role of a chemistry teacher with cancer trying to make extra money for his family by making and selling extremely high quality crystal meth. Easier said than done.

The one thing that surprised me the most about this show was the humour, which is very dark and very grim but also very funny and completely in tone with the drama. In the first few episodes at least, the whole thing comes across as a rather dark farce, with one thing going horribly wrong after the next and the two characters face some very difficult choices. This farce element kinda goes away in the second half of the series, which is a shame, as it was the key thing I loved most about the series, providing not just comedy but also some truly challenging drama, but even then, the series continues to be great, with Walter clearly heading down a very dark path. The only problem I had with the finale was that it wasn't really much of a finale, although that can be put down to the writer's strike. Still, a very enjoyable show, and I'm really excited what season 2 will bring. 9/10

Nice. Glad you liked it. I agree - the dark humor is amazing, and it's always in synch with the atmosphere of that particular episode.

Also, Bryan Cranston is amazing. What an incredibly talented actor.

stone, rose, unfound door
06-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I haven't seen season 5 yet but some episodes in season 4 were a bit slow so be prepared for a few transition episodes. I do think it's a pretty good series, though.

DoctorDodge
06-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Nonono, didn't like it Feev, I loved it. Gotta be one of the best US shows I've seen.

However, it's not the very best, that would most definitely be The Wire, which I just finished the 2nd season of and will post a full length review very, very soon, as I'm just amazed that the 2nd season wasn't just as good as the first - it took everything that was awesome about the first season and hugely expanded on it, taking it into a whole new direction. So many wonderfully crafted characters on both sides of the law to care about and to hate, with union leader Frank Sobotka being my favourite complex character from last season. However, it wasn't just about the characters, or the season long case, even. It was all about the number of layers within, painting a huge picture of the city of Baltimore, of how we see and justify right and wrong, of where we draw the line between "good guys" and "bad guys". I have nothing to fault this on, absolutely nothing. Excellent writing, great drama, some wonderful humour thrown in (my favourite involving a ball), and a truly rewarding story. 10/10

fernandito
06-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Oh bloody hell, now I'm going to have to hasten my The Wire watch too !

Gahhh my plate is full ! I love it though :lol:

DoctorDodge
06-11-2012, 03:19 PM
To be fair, feev, just to make it easier: remember what my favourite show is that you still haven't finished watching yet! Then you can think to yourself, "Oh, if he loves it, I'm sure it can't be that good!" :lol:

Oh, that reminds me: any chance of a review on Sherlock, yet?

Shannon
06-18-2012, 08:54 PM
What did I finish today ...

The Killing: Season 2: 4/5
A pretty good show. It wrapped up the "Who Dun It?" mystery in the finale. It SHOULD have been wrapped up in the first season's finale, but, they didn't. This season was a little all over the place, and at times it seemed more about telling the stories of characters that aren't really involved with the main storyline anymore. If I didn't calculate all my episode-by-episode ratings and somehow get a 4 out of 5, I would probably have given it a 3/5. The first season was better.

The Pauly D Project: Season 1: 3/5
Yay, my Jersey Shore fix! This isn't groundbreaking television here, it's just about a following a guy that got famous on Jersey Shore and now he's trying to turn that into something even bigger. It was interesting to watch his behind-the-scenes stuff leading him to work at the Palms here in Vegas as a DJ for one of the big night clubs, and also for him to DJ the final Britney Spears concert of her tour. It's watching someone go through the process of ACTUALLY MAKING IT. Fun. And Pauly D comes off as a nice guy, so yay!

Doctor Who (2005): Season 1: 4/5
A very very enjoyable first season, with some very GREAT episodes thrown in. I think my final talley for the thirteen episodes was 4 5's, 8 4's, and 1 3. Not bad at all, just not quite enough for a 5/5. Excited to start the second season with the new Doctor. I'm surprised they got rid of Christopher Eccleston so fast though. But but but, I have other shows to watch. With that being said, here is what I'm watching right now and what is up next:

Right Now:
Episodes: Season 2
Battlestar Galactica: Season 2
Being Human: Season 2
True Blood: Season 5 (wow five seasons already)
The Glass House: Season 1
Falling Skies: Season 2
Take Me Out: Season 1

Next:
MasterChef: Season 3
Love In The Wild: Season 2
Hell's Kitchen: Season 10
Saving Hope: Season 1
Wilfred: Season 2
Awake: Season 1
The Finder: Season 1
Hatfields & McCoys

mystima
06-18-2012, 09:34 PM
True Blood is going out of control in my opinion. They have gone way away from the source material and I just don't get where they are going. Tara a vampire now. And what the hell were they thinking putting a silver sprayer on the front porch for that matter. I did like Pam's story in there. Her meeting Eric and and all that. I hope they give us more glimpses of that this season. And most of all, I liked what they did with Emma. She looked like a cute puppy husky...lol

Shannon
06-18-2012, 10:33 PM
I read the first four or five books. They were OK, but I like the show better. The books were very plain and simple, they followed Sookie. The brother wasn't a main character, neither was Bill, Eric, Sam, Tara, etc. It was all about Sookie. But on the show, they have Sookie doing the Sookie things from the book AND they have all these other interesting characters running side missions around her. Granted, I think they have one or two too many main characters and storylines right now (Looking at you Terry and Arlene!) but it's still a good show. And last season with Eric and Sookie was my favorite thus far.

DoctorDodge
06-18-2012, 11:53 PM
Doctor Who (2005): Season 1: 4/5
A very very enjoyable first season, with some very GREAT episodes thrown in. I think my final talley for the thirteen episodes was 4 5's, 8 4's, and 1 3. Not bad at all, just not quite enough for a 5/5. Excited to start the second season with the new Doctor. I'm surprised they got rid of Christopher Eccleston so fast though.

Really glad you enjoyed it, Shannon. Regarding your spoiler:
It was actually announced, right after the first ep was broadcast, that Eccleston had quit, which put a bit of a downer on things, after so much excitement over the show finally being back. I have no idea why the BBC announced it so early, especially since I think Eccleston himself planned to keep it secret until the season finale, I think. Ah well. You'll like David Tennant, I'm sure. And I know what it's like, to get excited about a "new" Doctor. You're not sure what you're gonna get from the new guy.

Looking forward to when you start season 2 in the distant future! :D

Heather19
06-19-2012, 01:38 PM
Agreed, Tennant's an amazing Doctor so you're in for a treat. Are you going to mix in Torchwood to your viewing list Shannon?

Shannon
06-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Maybe a little bit later on.

What show should I spend today, tonight and tomorrow watching the first season of? Fringe or The Wire? First to get three votes wins. Hurry hurry so I can start it! I have them both downloaded now.

Heather19
06-19-2012, 02:10 PM
I'd recommend mixing it in with your Dr. Who watch. DD can point you in the order to watch them. I did that on my initial viewing and really enjoyed it. There's a little cross over here and there with them.

fernandito
06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
I've never seen The Wire but it's heralded as one of the greatest tv shows in the history of homo sapiens.

I can vote for the little I've seen of Fringe however, I just started it and I think it's great.

DoctorDodge
06-19-2012, 02:19 PM
As someone's watched both, and therefore actually counts, definitely the Wire. Amazing show.

Shannon
06-19-2012, 02:20 PM
1-1!

DoctorDodge
06-19-2012, 02:55 PM
I've never seen The Wire but it's heralded as one of the greatest tv shows in the history of homo sapiens.

Is it as fucking awesome as they say, feev? Yeah, yeah, I'd say so. I've only watched the first two seasons, and it takes a few episodes for its awesomeness to unveil itself, but yeah, it is up to the hype.

I can vote for the little I've seen of Fringe however, I just started it and I think it's great.

Fringe is great entertainment, probably one of the best scifi shows out there atm, but you really should watch the fucking Wire already. You've wasted your vote so soon, my friend! :P

fernandito
06-19-2012, 03:05 PM
I will! I will! I need to get to the Sopranos too ... I just have way too much stuff on my plate atm :lol:

Brice
06-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Fringe +1

Shannon, I agree with Heather...mix in Torchwood with your Who watching. They compliment each other (to a somewhat lesser degree) like Buffy/Angel.

Heather19
06-21-2012, 09:52 AM
I think I'm going to start Fringe when I can find some time.
Where are you at now Feev?

fernandito
06-21-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm on episode ... 6. I think there ar 20 (?) episodes in the first season.

Brice
06-21-2012, 11:39 PM
I think I'm going to start Fringe when I can find some time.
Where are you at now Feev?

California

DoctorDodge
02-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Fringe: Season 2

When I watched season 1, I liked it, but it was a little too similar to the X-Files most of the time, and considering I've got more than enough X-Files eps to keep me watching (just under 7 seasons left to go for me), there wasn't much of a hook for me to watch ep after ep, not until the strands of mythology started coming together. Season 2 continued and expanded greatly on this, but it was still a bit too "case of the week" at times. But then, finally, it happened: 2 eps that left me hooked - Jacksonville and Peter. The mythology really came together in these two eps, but it wasn't just that. It was the sheer drama of it, especially Peter, that I really enjoyed: here, it wasn't just about the strange science, but it was how it affected the people we cared about and the terrible decisions fuelled by raw human emotion, with some fantastic acting from John Noble. After that, Fringe's true greatness finally began to click. I liked the science fiction and mythology of the first season and a half, but what really grabs me into the best scifi, or indeed any genre for that matter, is how it takes a "what if" scenario, throws it at a bunch of well developed characters, and gives us some amazing drama out of it, and that's what all the eps after Peter really gave us. Suddenly, the standalone eps were a lot more absorbing (White Tulip is a fantastic little piece that reminded me of the philosophy of Lost at its best, and Brown Betty was just fucking amazing, which showed how something can be nothing but pure "filler" in a series and yet really be a lot more than that), the mythology had more impact, and the finale was beautifully executed, with a well built-up and shocking cliffhanger that by far surpassed the first season's. In short, with the episode Peter - no, actually, with the closing moments of Jacksonville - that's the point where, as they say, "the shit got real". I'm already eager to watch season 3 immediately, but I'd rather not ruin the shock of such a great cliffhanger too soon. Nonetheless, I'll be getting round to season 3 a lot quicker than season 2 as a result of such great episodes. 8/10

Ricky
02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
I'm so glad you enjoyed it. And if you liked Season 2, the more arc-oriented episodes, and finale, then you are bound to love Season 3. The premiere, "Olivia," is absolutely mind-blowing, especially since I've seen so many premieres that leave the viewer underwhelmed and the characters and plot underdeveloped.

Just Season 3 in general: AHHHH. :panic:

DoctorDodge
02-27-2013, 03:42 PM
I've just looked at my season 3 set, and I didn't read anything of the ep descriptions for the first few eps, except for the italics: our universe/parallel universe. That's a wonderful storytelling technique for a series to pull, and really shows that, after a season or more of the show essentially being "X-Files by J.J. Abrams", it's wonderful to see that by season 3 it's completely become its own thing, so I'm even more excited for it now. In fact, I get the feeling that once I'm done with the show overall, the first season at least will be much more enjoyable on re-watch once you know what the writers were building towards.

Ricky
02-27-2013, 03:49 PM
Yeah, Season 3 is definitely that point where it's not a case of the week/X-Files type of show anymore. And the first season is definitely more enjoyable (I liked it the first time, though) once you look back on it retrospectively having seen 2 and 3.

Merlin1958
02-28-2013, 05:38 PM
"Justified" still rocks!!! Who the hell is "Drew"???????

Predictions?