PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Comics Universe

Matt
05-08-2007, 07:14 AM
I have been a fan forever, I may spend too much time in this thread. :lol:

I know a lot of folks are DC around here so someone may need to start a thread for that.

Currently, I am reading the Wolverine TPB because he has a huge fight going on with Sabortooth. They were fighting during the Mutant Massacre in '85 when I started reading comics so I have a soft spot for them :pirate:

Rjeso
05-08-2007, 07:19 AM
I always was into the idea of comics and I like the characters, but I never really did read them. I heard that there's some huge X-Men hardcover book with, what, all the Ultimate issues in it? I want that.

Matt
05-08-2007, 07:24 AM
My kid got a Ultimate X-Men graphic novel for Christmas from my ex (his mom). It was really cool to read. I love the fact that he is old enough to get gifts I would be interested in borrowing from him. :lol:

Nerak
05-08-2007, 01:34 PM
There are "other" Marvel comics?!?!

LOL j/k

Matt
05-08-2007, 01:43 PM
:rofl:

I know, its very hard to believe.

OchrisO
05-08-2007, 02:10 PM
The most recent marvel stuff that I have read was the Civil War stuff. I have been too bsy to dig into much lately. :(

fernandito
05-08-2007, 02:12 PM
Has anyone read the Marvel Zombies series yet?

OchrisO
05-08-2007, 02:13 PM
I actually haven't, though every comic fan I know tells me taht I need to. I just haven't found time. Robert Kirkman actually came to campus here at EKU a while back, but I didn't get to go meet him.

Matt
05-08-2007, 03:18 PM
I haven't heard of it. We're lucky to get X-Men out here in bodunk town.

<--also can't get the new Gunslinger comic. :arg:

BlakeMP
05-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Marvels Zombies is really quite entertaining. It's not your typical zombie story -- the zombies retain their human intellgence, for one thing -- but it's a unique comic and really a hell of a lot of fun. I'd recommend it if you're looking for an offbeat horror story.

Aaron
05-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Oh shit! I'll have to check those zombie comics out. I wonder if that was the series that Will was telling me about...

fernandito
05-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Marvels Zombies is really quite entertaining. It's not your typical zombie story -- the zombies retain their human intellgence, for one thing -- but it's a unique comic and really a hell of a lot of fun. I'd recommend it if you're looking for an offbeat horror story.

I just ordered the first volume :dance:

Matt
06-02-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm so glad Fever was the last to post.

So, you're sig is the one shot cover for Marvel Zombies and it turns out there is an entire arch dedicated to it. 5 issues that have already been bundled I think.

Matthew found out on the net that at some point the Silver Surfer comes along and the marvel zombies finally beat him, take his power inside and then unite to fight Galactus. :o

And win....

:unsure:

Anyone else here about these?

Jimmy
06-02-2007, 08:52 PM
I'm so glad Fever was the last to post.

So, you're sig is the one shot cover for Marvel Zombies and it turns out there is an entire arch dedicated to it. 5 issues that have already been bundled I think.

Matthew found out on the net that at some point the Silver Surfer comes along and the marvel zombies finally beat him, take his power inside and then unite to fight Galactus. :o

And win....

:unsure:

Anyone else here about these?

Saw it with my own two eyes. There's a really funny scene when zombie Wolverine slashes at the Surfer. I won't say what happens, but it's classic.

Darkthoughts
06-03-2007, 06:35 AM
A friend lent me the X-Men - Age of Apocalypse collection - its pretty damn good. I'm generally more of a DC girl though...well, just Doom Patrol to be precise.

Matt
06-03-2007, 07:46 AM
:o

The Age of Apocalypse is one of my most favorite Marvel story lines ever. Its really good, I used to have all 28 of them or however many it was. :lol:

Spencer
06-03-2007, 08:31 AM
The most recent marvel stuff that I have read was the Civil War stuff. I have been too bsy to dig into much lately. :(

Damn, Civil War. I got turned off right away when, yet again, Alan Moore's Watchmen was ripped off, (the government regulation of superheroes thing, which is only background setup info in that book), to create an entire storyline, just as it's been done before in the X-Men movie and in at least one X-Men comics storyline (I THINK Operation:Zero Tolerance, but I could be wrong). I stuck with it, and was totally disappionted with the ending. Tony "Iron Man" Stark is a totalitarian asshole, Steve "Captain America" Rogers acts like a true hero for most of the series, and then...

The wrong guy wins the damn thing, (Tony should have gotten HIS comeuppance, not Steve), and in the aftermath, to make a bad ending even worse, Steve Rogers is killed.

In my opinion, possibly the worst, just plain WRONG ending to a comics story ever.

OchrisO
06-03-2007, 01:12 PM

Damn, Civil War. I got turned off right away when, yet again, Alan Moore's Watchmen was ripped off, (the government regulation of superheroes thing, which is only background setup info in that book), to create an entire storyline, just as it's been done before in the X-Men movie and in at least one X-Men comics storyline (I THINK Operation:Zero Tolerance, but I could be wrong). I stuck with it, and was totally disappionted with the ending. Tony "Iron Man" Stark is a totalitarian asshole, Steve "Captain America" Rogers acts like a true hero for most of the series, and then...

The wrong guy wins the damn thing, (Tony should have gotten HIS comeuppance, not Steve), and in the aftermath, to make a bad ending even worse, Steve Rogers is killed.

In my opinion, possibly the worst, just plain WRONG ending to a comics story ever.

I kind of like when the wrong guy wins from time to time, because it shows taht anything is possible, and taht you shouldn't expect anytyhing. I'm a pretty big fan of Civil War, dspite the Watchmen ripoff. Comics constantly rip each other off anyway. I'm used to it.

P.S. I started the Ultimate FF comics that lead into Marvel Zombies today. I'll give my verdict later. :)

Spencer
06-03-2007, 09:01 PM
I do agree with a lot of what of what you say there Chris. You can't always have a happy ending, as a matter of fact, it's the unhappy endings that are the most memorable sometimes, and, though I may not have liked it, it certainly was memorable, and I DID buy the books, after all. :lol:

Jimmy
06-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Yeah, because Tony Stark would clone Thor, but would never ever clone Captain America and have the clone killed in public, all while the real Cap is sitting in the Negative Zone prison.

He isn't dead, not by a long shot.

BlakeMP
06-04-2007, 07:30 AM
I hated Civil War with the white-hot intensity of a thousand suns. So many complete bastardizations of character, pointless moments of shock value that meant nothing, and an utterly disappointing ending.

In other words, everything I've come to expect from Mark Millar.

OchrisO
06-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Haha, that's comics in general, haven't you caught on yet? :P

Everything in Marvel and Dc since Superman wasn't really dead after Doomsday killed him has been moments of shock value that meant nothing. I just take it as being the nature of the beast now, unfortunately.

BlakeMP
06-04-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't agree with that at all.

There are a lot of good, quality comics out there that actually have substance. The Superman titles are both really strong right now, and the stuff with Justice League and Justice Society is spectacular. Dan Slott's work with She-Hulk has been consistently entertaining, and Annihilation and 52 were both tremendously successful at making me feel engaged and involved with B or C-list characters that didn't matter before.

There's always good stuff out there. You've just got to look for it.

OchrisO
06-04-2007, 07:39 PM
I didn't say there wasn't good stuff, there's tons of good stuff. I thought that Civil War was good stuff. I just said that mainstream comics have been full of moments of shock value that meant nothing ever since they didn't really kill Superman.

Patrick
06-12-2007, 09:37 AM
At least that one Robin stayed dead. :P

Tvmorbid
06-12-2007, 09:48 AM
The Civil war split wont last for long, you can bet on it. All will take is another 'event' to unite everyone back together again. Oh look, World War Hulk is on its way:orely:

fernandito
06-12-2007, 10:11 AM
A couple of new additions to my library, picked them up last night - The Walking Dead Book 2. [finally!], The Gunslinger 5, and Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness 1-4 :)

Matt
06-12-2007, 10:36 AM
:arg:

:lol:

Congrats man

Tvmorbid
06-12-2007, 11:00 AM
The Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness series is awesome, some great story ideas there and Ash is always an awesome character :D

OchrisO
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I just finished reading all of Planet Hulk and then read the first World War Hulk. Amazing stuff.

WWHulk spoiler:
When hulk is talking to the people of Manhattan via the hologram from his ship and he says "Now this city will fall. You have twenty four hours to evacuate. When I return I want to see Mr Fantastic Iron Man and Doctor Strange, and if they are not here" *holds up the broken and bloodied body of Blackbolt* "I will do this to your whole stinkin' planet!" I nearly stood up and cheered.

Next on the slate is Annihilation.

Mordred Deschain
07-01-2007, 06:45 AM
The Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness series is awesome, some great story ideas there and Ash is always an awesome character :D

HOly crap!! I gotta check this out. I'm a huge Evil Dead fan (and ED2 and AoD). Has the series just started?

fernandito
07-01-2007, 07:44 AM

HOly crap!! I gotta check this out. I'm a huge Evil Dead fan (and ED2 and AoD). Has the series just started?

No, it's already 4 issues in. The 5th should be coming out in the next few days.

Mordred Deschain
07-01-2007, 04:33 PM

No, it's already 4 issues in. The 5th should be coming out in the next few days.

cool, not that much to catch on. I'll check into it when I go to get Gunslinger #6.

fernandito
02-09-2008, 07:53 AM
I finally picked up Civil War.

Mordred Deschain
02-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Dude...what do you think. I've been collecting the CW Chronicles. Also just started getting Zombies 2. I never did find the Army of Darkness vs. Marvel Zombies yet. But I did start collecting the new Thor and Ghostrider.

turtlex
07-02-2009, 03:29 PM
http://www.advocate.com/uploadedImages/ADVOCATE/EDITORIAL/NEWS/20090701/rictorr_shatterstarxlrg.jpg
X-Factor Comic Gets First Gay Kiss
By Layla Dhere / The Advocate

X-Factor, one of Marvel's Comics' most critically acclaimed series, includes a same-sex kiss between characters Rictor and Shatterstar in the latest issue. This is one of the first same-sex kisses featured in a mainstream comic.

Previous issues of X-Factor hinted at a relationship between the two, but their sexuality remained ambiguous until now. Rictor's bisexuality has not been confirmed or denied, and writer Peter David has said that he doesn't believe it's something that needs to be explicitly addressed.

"I have much more fun tweaking the fans than actually spelling anything out,” David said in an interview with LiveWireWorld.net. "I certainly don't think we could say at this point that Rictor is definitively gay. I think we could make the argument that he's bi, but I don't see the point at this juncture in spelling it out -- not because of any sense of homophobia or anything like that but out of a sense that I think it's more entertaining and more thought-provoking if we keep it ambiguous."

While the first openly gay characters in mainstream comics were featured in 1986's miniseries Watchmen, Marvel refrained from writing openly gay characters until the 21st century, hesitant to promote agendas from either end of the political spectrum.

turtlex comments : Um, X-Factor is NOT one of Marvel's most critically acclaimed comics. I read it - but honestly, my friends and I usually refer to X-Factor as the X-Men's PR team. Also, it may be Marvel's first gay kiss, but there are a lot of other comics which have featured gay characters and them kissing. Actually, Alpha Flight ( which is also Marvel ) featured Northstar, a gay character, years and years ago but I don't think he did much kissing.

flaggwalkstheline
07-02-2009, 08:57 PM
I dont like marvel or dcs retroactive continuity
not one bit

But I'm really grooving on the whole norman osbourne in charge Dark Reign stories

turtlex
07-03-2009, 04:30 AM
I can say, in general, with regards to Marvel taking their characters in "new" directions... I've read some of the NOIR series... and really thought it was horrible.

flaggwalkstheline
07-03-2009, 06:45 AM
yeah noir is lame
as far as elseworlds like series dc is generally better than marvel

turtlex
07-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Good Citizens of the Comic Tower -
Marvel Comics is celebrating it's 70th year!!

I thought I'd toss out a quick opinion thread regarding Marvel (http://marvel.com/seventy_years)... please cut and paste the questions and add your answers.

1. All-Time Favorite Marvel Character :

a. Male
b. Female
c. Overall
d. Favorite Couple

2. All-Time Favorite Marvel Artist :

3. All-Time Favorite Marvel Writer :

4. All-Time Favorite Marvel Cover :

5. The Best Moment In Marvel Comics :

6. The Most Emotional Moment In Marvel Comics :

7. The Best Fight In Marvel Comics :

8. The Best Story-Arc In Marvel Comics :

9. The Best Biggest Suprise In Marvel Comics :

10. The Best Superpower In Marvel Comics :

11. Your Favorite Single Marvel Comics Issue and Why :

If you have any questions / answers you want to add to your response, please do so !

Ruthful
07-30-2009, 01:11 AM
1. (a) Thanos
(b) Elektra
(c) One of those two

2. Stan Lee

I'm not even going to pretend that I know enough about comics to answer the rest of those questions.

FWIW, I have a friend who's worked at D.C. for over a decade, and he says Marvel's better.

Matt
07-30-2009, 01:24 AM

a. Male - Wolverine
b. Female - Jean Gray
c. Overall - Wolverine
d. Favorite Couple - Spiderman and MJ
2. All-Time Favorite Marvel Artist : Bushimi?

3. All-Time Favorite Marvel Writer : Ugg...not sure on this one

4. All-Time Favorite Marvel Cover : There is a cover with Wolvie and Jean kissing, very cool

5. The Best Moment In Marvel Comics : When Xaiver's son went back in time and killed him by mistake starting the best comic arc in all of the universe. AoA

6. The Most Emotional Moment In Marvel Comics : Magneto and Rouge saying goodbye for the greater good at the end of AoA

7. The Best Fight In Marvel Comics : Wolverine and Spidey in Berlin when the younger Harry Osbourne was killed. Close second...Wolverine and The Hulk, round two.

8. The Best Story-Arc In Marvel Comics : Age of Apcolypse

9. The Best Biggest Suprise In Marvel Comics : Origin's of Wolverine for real this time

10. The Best Superpower In Marvel Comics : Jean Grey's phoenix power

11. Your Favorite Single Marvel Comics Issue and Why : XMen: Omega--it was the close to AoA and has got to be the best ending to any arc ever...that series is really the best there is out there.

turtlex
07-30-2009, 02:41 AM
1. (a) Thanos
(b) Elektra
(c) One of those two

2. Stan Lee

I'm not even going to pretend that I know enough about comics to answer the rest of those questions.

FWIW, I have a friend who's worked at D.C. for over a decade, and he says Marvel's better.

:lol: I love this FWIW :lol:

Actually, to me, DC and Marvel are just very different kinds of universes. DC has always been about Red-White-and-Blue-Good-Guy-Bad-Guy-Rah-Rah and Marvel has always been about flawed heroes and angst. I like my comics with angst. :D

Matt - I love when you pop in over here!! Great answers. I loved the AoA story as well.

This is my favorite Jean Grey / Logan shot :
http://spacemonkey82.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/jean-grey-kissing-wolverine-posters.jpg

Oh, and for the record - Marvel picked it's top 70 covers from the last 70 years and the # 1 cover was The Incredible Hulk #340 by McFarlane... which I find kind of funny, because if you look at it below... unless you look close... you can barely even see the Hulk !!

http://marvel.com/i/content/st/1216074533.8235_full.jpg

flaggwalkstheline
07-30-2009, 06:28 AM
you know marvel celebrating 70 years is kindof a marketing ploy technicality because the marvel we know and love was created in the mid 60s by stan the man with help from ditko and kirby, so the marvel we all know is 40 something years old not 70...

All-Time Favorite Marvel Character :
a. Male ben reilly
b. Female black cat
c. Overall Spiderman
d. Favorite Couple Peter and MJ (in the ultimate universe)
2. All-Time Favorite Marvel Artist : Bagley

3. All-Time Favorite Marvel Writer : Bendis

4. All-Time Favorite Marvel Cover : Web of spiderman # 117

5. The Best Moment In Marvel Comics : The end of spectacular spiderman #226, when peter parker finds out that he's the clone

6. The Most Emotional Moment In Marvel Comics : In the timebomb storyline when peter is trying to kill MJ because of his mental clone implants

7. The Best Fight In Marvel Comics : Norman osborne kicking everyones ass at the end of the thunderbolts caged angels storyline

8. The Best Story-Arc In Marvel Comics : The second clone saga (durr)

9. The Best Biggest Suprise In Marvel Comics : Again spiderman finding out hes the clone (and I still believe that he is)

10. The Best Superpower In Marvel Comics : spider sense
11. Your Favorite Single Marvel Comics Issue and Why : Once more spectacular spiderman 226 when peter finds out that he's the clone

turtlex
07-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Of course it's a marketing ploy!! :lol: I expect nothing less. I can't wait for 75! :lol:

Great answers, btw.

Bendis is awesome.

I'm having such a hard time deciding on the answers to my own questions. :blush: How embarrassing!

Emotional Moment is very hard for me, I can think of a lot of them. I love Spidey and the death of Gwen Stacey storyline. I love the last moments of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Hulk's "not just strangers die of AIDS" storyline. There are so many. Rogue! Cripes, every time she looks at Remy and can't touch him!!! This is gonna take me a while, I just know it.

Great cover choice : Spider-Man VS Peter Parker?!
http://www.nexternal.com/dreamland/images/webofspdrman_117.jpg

flaggwalkstheline
07-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Great cover choice : Spider-Man VS Peter Parker?!
http://www.nexternal.com/dreamland/images/webofspdrman_117.jpg

Hells yeah:rock: thanx for posting the pic, i have issues with pic posting :P

turtlex
07-30-2009, 07:22 AM
:thumbsup: No problem. It's a great cover.

Sam
07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
a. Male : Frank Castle (The Punisher) It was a tough choice though cause I love Spidey too. Recent storylines made up my mind (One More Day comes to mind).
b. Female : Sue Richards (The Invisible Woman)
c. Overall : The Punisher
d. Favorite Couple : Reed and Sue Richards

2. All-Time Favorite Marvel Artist :
Alex Ross

3. All-Time Favorite Marvel Writer :
Tie. Brian Michael Bendis/Garth Ennis

4. All-Time Favorite Marvel Cover :
Marvels #2http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/624/Marvels2.jpg

5. The Best Moment In Marvel Comics :
The Marriage of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson

6. The Most Emotional Moment In Marvel Comics :
The death of Gwen Stacy.

7. The Best Fight In Marvel Comics : The fight against Thanos for the Infinity Gauntlet. Positively Cosmic.

8. The Best Story-Arc In Marvel Comics :
Welcome Back, Frank

9. The Best Biggest Suprise In Marvel Comics :
The revelation that Johnny Storm's wife wasn't Alicia Masters, but a skrull instead.

10. The Best Superpower In Marvel Comics :
Johnny Storm's flame ability.

11. Your Favorite Single Marvel Comics Issue and Why :
The Amazing Spider-Man #248. If the number doesn't stand out to you, the title of this issue is The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man. It was published in 1984. I read it several years later, in 1988 I think, and I have never forgotten the story. It is entertaining, funny, poignant, sad, and moving all in between 32 pages. It's a masterpiece of writing and my vote for best single issue.

turtlex
07-31-2009, 04:01 PM
:couple: Thanks, Sam... I've been waiting on your answers!

Nice call on the Marvels cover - Alex Ross is amazing and that whole series is a masterpiece of art and interpretation.

I am leaning towards The Death of Gwen Stacey, too, but just can't decide, there are so many emotional moments that come to mind.

Sam
07-31-2009, 04:04 PM
If you've never read that Spider-Man issue Pam, you really should get a reading copy.

As to the Marvels cover, it was a tough choice. The sight of Angel lifting off the ground carrying the child to safety from an angry mob is really an emotional sight. Wolverine and his claws reflecting Hulk just can't beat the power of Ross's watercolors.

turtlex
07-31-2009, 04:32 PM
I was disappointed with Marvel's choice of the # 1 cover, there are so many others that come to mind.

Ross was in their cover countdown, a couple of times, I think.

I'll add that Spidey to my grab list, for sure.

cozener
08-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I was under the impression that Marvel started doing business in the 60s. What makes Marvel 70? Is it just certain characters? I know that Captain America started out as WWII superhero. Was he created in the 40s then sold to Marvel in the 60s or something?

turtlex
08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
No, Coz. Marvel Comics started out in 1939. Captain America premiered in 1941, and of course, ended up taking on the Nazi's.

The 1960's brought us Stan "The Man" Lee and the more contemporary characters.

Spider-Man premiered in 1962 and so did The Hulk, and the X-Men in 1963. Stan Lee changed the Marvel Universe, but it was around before he started working at Marvel ( as a COPY BOY!!! ).

cozener
08-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Who was Marvel's first superhero?

turtlex
08-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Actually I believe it was Marvel Comics # 1 and had the Human Torch ( 1939 ) and others.

Here's the Wiki of the history of Marvel Comics. Linkage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Comics)

flaggwalkstheline
08-03-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm pretty sure the robot human torch was the first to be published by marvel (dont know if they were atlas at the time)
BUT
according to the current continuity the first superhero in the marvel universe was Sentry
and the first mutant was en-saba-nur AKA Apocalypse, in ancient egypt

Sam
08-05-2009, 11:21 AM
The first superhero published by Marvel was indeed The Human Torch. He was an android and also lent his name to the Fantastic Four's Johnny Storm when they were created in the 60's. I believe Namor is next in the pecking order.

turtlex
08-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Thought I'd take a shot at my own questions... though I will tell you, it's not easy to answer them.

a. Male - Matt Murdock / Daredevil
b. Female - Oh, this is hard. Rogue... Jean Grey... Elektra. Shite! Okay... Rogue.
c. Overall - Matt Murdock / Daredevil
d. Favorite Couple - Cyclops and Jean Grey

2. All-Time Favorite Marvel Artist : Another hard one for me. So many great artists to chose from. I love Jae Lee's work ( DT and non-DT ). John Cassaday's work on X-Men.... Greg Horn's Elektra.... but I'm going to have to go with Frank Miller again.

3. All-Time Favorite Marvel Writer : Ugh. Again, very difficult... Again, going with Frank Miller, though. I have to, for me - I got into comics reading his Daredevil stuff and that literally changed the way I look at art, comics and storytelling.

4. All-Time Favorite Marvel Cover : Okay. I have four. In no order.

First, is the Lee Bermejo cover of Dark Tower: Long Road Home Variant Issue 5
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/611/LRH5BermejoVariant.jpg

Second, Daredevil # 229 Pariah !!
http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/daredevil/229-1.jpg

Third, The Incredible Hulk # 420
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d9/Hulk-420.jpg

Four, Elektra # 10
http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/e/e0/Elektra_10_cov.jpg

5. The Best Moment In Marvel Comics : The ultimate sacrifice of Jean Grey / Dark Phoenix

6. The Most Emotional Moment In Marvel Comics : Sorry, again - I have to pick two. The Death of Jim Wilson, in Hulk # 420 and the Death of Gwen Stacy in Spidey.

7. The Best Fight In Marvel Comics : Logan and anyone. I love Daredevil, but no one fights like Wolverine.

8. The Best Story-Arc In Marvel Comics : Three Way Tie, for me. X-Men Dark Phoenix Saga, Daredevil Born Again, X-Men Extinction Agenda.

9. The Best Biggest Suprise In Marvel Comics : The ending of Dark Phoenix Saga.

10. The Best Superpower In Marvel Comics : Rogue's ability to absorb ... terrifying, painful and utterly powerful.

11. Your Favorite Single Marvel Comics Issue and Why : The final issue of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Why? Well, I never expected it and it was so emotional and extraordinary, it was great. It shows how wonderful comic storytelling can be.

turtlex
09-17-2009, 02:45 AM
Just a bump for this - and a quick note, with Marvel's 70th, they've made pretty much all their top covers available as prints for purchase. Pretty cool.

Sam
09-17-2009, 08:07 AM
VERY COOL!!!

turtlex
10-10-2009, 02:34 PM
* bumpage *

( I've been seeing a lot of new members posting and would love everyone's thoughts on these )

Patrick
10-18-2009, 09:34 PM
(I... would love everyone's thoughts on these )Everyone's? Ok, you've asked twice, so here you go:

Outside of the Dark Tower comics, I have no idea who half the people are that you are all discussing, much less the story lines.

And what is "AoA"? Age of Aquarius?

Best Character: The Hulk. Why? To me, the Hulk will always be the TV series of my youth starring Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. I loved that show.

Best Artist: Jae Lee (Dark Tower) and Frank Miller. But my vote for Miller is only because I saw his name mentioned above and I love the stuff he has done for DC, especially in the Batman arena.

Growing up I read DC. Marvel just never interested me.

So there are my thoughts, Pam, as requested. :)

turtlex
10-19-2009, 12:37 AM
(I... would love everyone's thoughts on these )Everyone's? Ok, you've asked twice, so here you go:

Outside of the Dark Tower comics, I have no idea who half the people are that you are all discussing, much less the story lines.

And what is "AoA"? Age of Aquarius?

Best Character: The Hulk. Why? To me, the Hulk will always be the TV series of my youth starring Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno. I loved that show.

Best Artist: Jae Lee (Dark Tower) and Frank Miller. But my vote for Miller is only because I saw his name mentioned above and I love the stuff he has done for DC, especially in the Batman arena.

Growing up I read DC. Marvel just never interested me.

So there are my thoughts, Pam, as requested. :)

Patrick !! :couple:

AoA is the Age of Apocalypse - which is an X-Men story arc from 1995/1996. It's one of their more popular crossover series and had a big impact on the Marvel Universe. Neato Keano Superhero Stuff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Apocalypse)

Hmmm :orely: DC Comics was founded in 1934 so technically, they should be celebrating this year as well. I wonder why they're not?!?!?

My all-time favorite DC character is Hal Jordan / Green Lantern.

Jae Lee is a great choice - Dark Tower artist or not. He's got a bunch of impressive Marvel work behind him. :D

Patrick
10-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Hmmm... maybe DC is not celebrating because they're saving it for their 75th.

Although it is a Marvel project, I don't really consider the Dark Tower series as part of their world. I classify it a bit more... standalone, or separate - part of the King universe (multiverse?). Does that make sense?

My childhood favorites from DC were the Batman (he's got that complexity you were looking for earlier), Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) and The Flash (Barry).

The problem with comics these days, as I perceive it as a former big fan, is that now it is near impossible to figure your way in. Everything seems to be so cross-referenced and cross-related, that it is difficult to know how or where to jump in without dropping a ton of cash to buy a bunch of different titles. I think the perception of inaccessibility from the outside-looking-in is a major hurdle to drawing in new customers. And if you're not bringing in new customers, then natural attrition will shrink the business and potentially, eventually kill it.

Anyway, I'm way off of the topic, but it seems like a relevant discussion as the major providers reach this milestone.

Merlin1958
10-23-2010, 02:49 PM
For all you comic aficiondo's out there you'll get a kick out of this month's ESPN the Mag as marvel did the art for the Mag's NBA preview. Pretty entertaining. Check it out when you can.

:excited:

turtlex
10-23-2010, 02:57 PM
:lol: What a tease you are, man!!! :lol: Thanks for the heads-up, though! :couple:

Here you go, folks, I found the cover :

http://assets.espn.go.com/i/insider/insiderMagIndex/mag_11012010.jpg

Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America.

Those look like basketball players to me, so you'll have to tell me if the characters relate to the players and how?!? ( I'm a clueless comic-geek, after all ).

Will probably merge this thead in a while.

Merlin1958
10-23-2010, 03:01 PM
I am a subscriber, so I have the issue. Want more pics?

Its actually a pretty good job as they marry the team previews to superhero's and circumstance, etc.

turtlex
10-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Sure, man, post 'em if you got 'em!!

If you know about the relationship between the characters they picked for each player - then, for sure, give us some insight!!

Merlin1958
10-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Well I don't know about an indepth analysis. Suffice to say that they consulted with the ESPN guys and got it fairly right according to their predictions and current circumstances. The Lebron James one was really on target!!!

Here ya go:

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/4219/espnmarvel001.jpg

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2037/espnmarvel002.jpg

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4186/espnmarvel003.jpg

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8337/espnmarvel004.jpg

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9861/espnmarvel005.jpg

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5458/espnmarvel006.jpg

Merlin1958
10-23-2010, 03:31 PM
And here's the rest:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5447/espnmarvel007.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2528/espnmarvel008.jpg

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/981/espnmarvel009.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/874/espnmarvel010.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3885/espnmarvel011.jpg

And the Best one:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4554/espnmarvel012.jpg

Merlin1958
10-23-2010, 03:32 PM
I left a couple out, but you get the idea.................enjoy

turtlex
10-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh, man, those are actually really cool!

Thanks, Bill !!! Much appreciated, no way could I have found all of those.

I thought for a second that was Green Lantern depiction there - but I guess that's a take on the Fantastic Four!

Thanks!!

Merlin1958
10-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Merge it? Did I mis-post? sorry I didn't see anything else up there and I thought the comic tower was the place to go. My bad :panic:

turtlex
10-23-2010, 03:55 PM
No.... Nothing. This is the perfect place for it.

Just that down the road, we'll merge this with the general comic thread, rather than it holding it's own thread. Just for housekeeping purposes ...

This is great! I love those pics !!

Merlin1958
10-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Oh OK cool then, glad you like 'em!!!!!!!!

turtlex
10-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Very much. For one thing, without you posting them - they'd have been off my radar completely.

Merlin1958
10-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Well cool then. Have to admit they are kinda unique. Sports and Comics are pretty rare!!!!

They did a good job marrying the two for the upcoming season as well.

turtlex
12-22-2010, 04:16 AM
turtlex comments : Looks like some very interesting things coming for the Marvel Universe.

Real world to collide with heroes & villains
By MATT MOORE, Associated Press

.PHILADELPHIA – The real world is intruding in a real way for the heroes — and villains — of the Marvel universe.

The publisher — whose characters range from the wall-crawler Spider-Man to mutant outcasts X-Men — said Tuesday that the fear, uncertainty and overarching anxiety that has gripped today's world will play havoc with its fictional heroes next spring as it embarks on "Fear Itself," a seven-issue limited series that will reach across numerous titles and leave its characters scarred but smarter.

The story line starts in March with a one-shot prologue penned by Ed Brubaker.

The prologue, said Marvel executive editor Tom Brevoort, will involve Captain America, Namor and the Invaders "and a mission in World War II that sets the stage for what's to come in the main 'Fear Itself' book."

From there, the seven issue miniseries will launch in April, written by Matt Fraction and drawn by Stuart Immonen and will, Brevoort said "be, in terms of its size and scope across the Marvel Universe" analogous to the multi-issue, cross-title epic "Secret Invasion" that focused on the subtle, behind-the-scenes invasion of Earth by shape-shifting Skrulls.

Marvel has never shied away from cataclysmic story events. In "Civil War," the company put its heroes on the front lines of personal civil liberties and freedoms, a story that ultimately ended with the death of Captain America.

"Fear Itself" will run through numerous issues, too, and, Brevoort said, shake up the Marvel universe.

Fraction said that the story would be relatable the world at large.

"It is something that speaks to the world we live in," he said in videotaped address at a press conference in New York. "It feels like there is this great shadow over us all, this anxiousness, this anger. It feels like reason and discourse have taken a back seat to mob mentality and hysteria. And everyone is afraid of something right now."

The details of the story, and its path, were closely guarded, but Fraction said it would feature heroes versus a "God of Fear" who draws his power from fearful feelings.

"The more you fear him, the stronger he gets and we are all his weapons," Fraction said.

Joe Quesada, editor-in-chief and chief creative officer at Marvel Entertainment said the story was born out of plans for bigger stories for Marvel's universe.

Brevoort and Axel Alonso, another Marvel executive editor, said the thread of the story will be woven in the coming months and involve major characters from the X-Men to Dracula.

What the outcome will be is still a secret, but Alonso remarked that with the tension plaguing the world at large, the aim is to "tap into the Zeitgeist of the day."

fernandito
12-22-2010, 01:08 PM
If it's structure or pay off is going to be anything like Secret Invasion, count me out. Secret Invasion was little more than a means to an end for Norman Osbourne's ascend to power; the Skrulls - which were being fleshed out as world conquering entities - ended up going out with a wimper, a graphic novels version of blue balls.

turtlex
12-23-2010, 02:02 PM
More on F4 ( spoilering for those who don't want to know )

Death is in store for one of the Fantastic Four
By MATT MOORE, Associated Press

.PHILADELPHIA – The Fantastic Four — superheroes whose creation nearly 50 years ago helped usher in the Silver Age of comics for Marvel — is about to become a trio.

Marvel Comics said Wednesday that a member of the foursome — Mr. Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch and the Thing — will die in issue No. 587 next month, a change that the company said will ripple across the Marvel Universe like never before.

But who will die? That's a secret protected with more might than the Incredible Hulk and Sentry possess, but executive editor Tom Brevoort, who oversees the comic book, says plenty of clues have been offered during the course of writer Jonathan Hickman's run, including the current "Three" story line.

"I think we've given plenty of hints as to who may die — perhaps too many, in that every one of our lead characters is left in a dire, life-threatening situation the month before," Brevoort told The Associated Press. "So, hopefully, that will help to heighten the suspense, while preserving the surprise as to which member doesn't make it out alive."

Marvel is taking no chances in trying to contain that secret like it were the wish-granting Cosmic Cube itself.

Readers will find out for themselves when "Fantastic Four" No. 587 is released in January, though it'll be wrapped in a black polybag designed to keep snoops from finding out and spilling the news.

It won't appear on newsstands, either.

"The surprises in this issues — and what comes next — constitute one of the biggest events in Marvel history," said David Gabriel, senior vice president for sales and circulation at Marvel.

But is death really the end and, more so, will it be permanent? After all, death has visited the Fantastic Four, which was created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and first appeared in 1961, before.

Sue Storm, the Invisible Woman, supposedly died, but that was just a ruse. Similarly, her husband, Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic, was thought dead after being caught in a blast with his archenemy, Dr. Doom. Instead of death, however, Richards and his nemesis were snatched away to another dimension.

This time, however, Marvel is adamant, noting that once the current story ends in No. 588, the Fantastic Four will cease to exist.

"We've been building to this story and this moment since Jonathan began writing the series around a year and a half ago," Brevoort said. "It's a story that will have a transformative effect on these characters — virtually nothing will be the same after the events of this story. And that was the reason to go this route — to bring about these seismic changes to the characters and to the series."

Marvel editor-in-chief Joe Quesada said the story is part of a wider effort to not only keep readers entertained, but engaged.

"The beauty of the Marvel Universe is that it is in constant change. Things are always happening, very much like life itself," he told AP. "For us, being stagnant just means that we're not doing our job. At the end of the day, its about characters, soap opera, dramatic events and things that keep our readers coming back for that next installment."

flaggwalkstheline
12-23-2010, 03:08 PM
"The beauty of the Marvel Universe is that it is in constant change. Things are always happening, very much like life itself," he told AP. "For us, being stagnant just means that we're not doing our job. At the end of the day, its about characters, soap opera, dramatic events and things that keep our readers coming back for that next installment."

in Joe Q's MU change is a temporary thing because the "status quo" is held above all else

For example
Captain America: dead then brought back through a billy pilgrim knockoff
Hulk: wandering the earth again after supposedly seismic events (ripoff of peter davids' grey hulk run)
Spiderman: OMD and OMIT, that is all
Ironman: After briefly becoming a fugitive (which was partly his own fault) and going on the run from norman osbourn, tony is now back to being everyone's favorite ironsuited billionare playboy, lessons unlearned
That whole initiatve thing that lasted from civil war until the heroic age? gone gone gone

As stated above, various members of the fantastic four have died before and it's been plenty hyped

bottom line, Joe Quesada speaks with a forked tongue

fernandito
12-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Spiderman OMD is a stain on comic storytelling that will not be washed away for at least another 100 years.

Sam
12-23-2010, 10:45 PM
I would also like to remind everyone that Aunt May actually died and was buried beside Uncle Ben in Amazing Spider-Man #400. It was very sweet and fitting, and yet, she is alive and well in Amazing Spider-Man today. Btw, she has also died on at least one other occassion that I know of.

turtlex
12-24-2010, 04:27 AM
I love you guys. Sincerely. You're great.

:grouphug:

I agree with JQ is a little short sighted - if it happens even in an alternate path, he's all about "it's change" and "fluid", etc. Blah.

I mean, does anyone ever really die in the Marvel Universe? I think they're scared of losing even one reader, should they kill off someone permanently.

Yaksha
12-25-2010, 06:43 PM
Well look at what they did. There were 2 golden rules in Marvel Comics. No matter what

1. Bucky is dead and he stays dead.

2. Uncle Ben is dead and he stays dead.

And the status of these rules? Buck was brought back as the Winter Soldier and is now Captain America. And Uncle Ben in some form or fashion has come back so many times it is pathetic. No one stays dead in the Marvel Universe. Hell, they even made a joke about it in an issue of X-Men. Wolverine said Jean Grey was dead and Agent Brand sarcastically commented about how long it would last this time.