PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Music List - What have you been listening to?

Kevin
11-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I stole this idea from the 2007 Book List thread, but I'm wondering: what music have all of you been listening to in 2007? What music has really struck a chord with you this year? I know we have a lot of music buffs here, so I'm very interested to see whats been spinning in your players this past year.

I'll be posting my list tommorow, as it's going to take me a while to formulate. :D

Daghain
11-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Yay! I was hoping you'd post this thread!

Current obesssion: Breaking Benjamin

Others:

Lostprophets
Three Day's Grace - well, they had a new CD anyway lol
30 Seconds to Mars
Panic! At the Disco
Fallout Boy
Hinder

ZoNeSeeK
11-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Bjork - Volta
Digitalism
The Knife - All albums
Trentemoeller
Royksopp - Melody AM
Amy Winehouse
Old bowie stuff

Storyslinger
11-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Metallica
Disturbed
Bad Company
Crossfade
Nirvana
Daughtry
Staind
Linkin Park
Three Days Grace
Finger 11
Blue Oyster Cult
Godsmack
Black Sabbath
Ozzy
Papa Roach

Frunobulax
11-16-2007, 12:56 AM
From '07:
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Beirut (http://www.beirutband.com) - Flying Club Cup
Merzbow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merzbow) - Merzbear
Animal Collective (http://www.myanimalhome.net/) - Strawberry Jam and Peacebone
Panda Bear - Person Pitch
Dan Deacon - Spiderman Of The Rings
Dirty Projectors (http://www.myspace.com/dirtyprojectors) - Rise Above
Nat Baldwin - Enter The Winter
Grizzly Bear (http://www.grizzly-bear.net/) - Friend EP
of Montreal - Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? and Icons, Abstract Thee EP
The Pipettes - We Are The Pipettes
Lily Allen - Alright, Still
Ween - La Cucaracha and Friends EP
Feist - The Reminder
St. Vincent - Marry Me
LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver and 45:33
Modest Mouse- We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
Johnny Unicorn - Riversongs
S.A. Bach - Long Distance Relationship
Oh Yeah, The Future - Magic Words EP
Jens Lekman - Night Falls Over Kortedala
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
White Rainbow - Prism Of Eternal Now, Sky Drips Drifts, and Sun Shifts
Venetian Snares - My Downfall (Original Soundtrack)
Super Furry Animals - Hey Venus!
Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity
Battles - Mirrored
YACHT - I Believe In You. Your Magic Is Real
Bjork - Volta
Paul McCartney - Memory Almost Full
some more I forgot.
NOT From '07
As much music as I want or have from the following: Aphex Twin, Sqaurepusher, Venetian Snares, other of Montreal, Grizzly Bear, Beirut, Final Fantasy/Owen Pallett, Spoon, Neutral Milk Hotel, Frank Zappa, Captain Beefheart, Tool, Ween, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Merzbow, White Rainbow, Dirty Projectors, Steve Reich, La Monte Young, Terry Riley, Philip Glass, Super Furry Animals, Animal Collective, VVRSSNN, Steaming Coils, My Bloody Valentine, No Jet Left, Audri The Great, How To Win At Life, Boards Of Canada, and many other artists.

Frunobulax
11-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Oh yeah, or just look at my Last.FM profile as Frunobulax19.

towerguard
11-16-2007, 05:29 AM
My year has been all about the original punk movements and 90's industrial/metal.

The Stooges
The New York Dolls
Patti Smith
Marilyn Manson
NIN
Rob/White Zombie
Rage Against the Machine
though, this morning, I think I'm starting to really really get into Paramore.

Kevin
11-16-2007, 11:33 PM
K-os
Jay-z
Linkin Park
Jimmy Eat World
Coheed & Cambria
Neverending White Lights
Rise Against
The Exit
Arctic Monkeys
Foo Fighters
RHCP
Danger Mouse
MF Doom
Danger Doom (MF and Mouse combined)
Barenaked Ladies
People in Planes
Our Lady Peace
Alexisonfire
The Styx
Genesis
Supertramp
Death Cab For Cutie
Ill Scarlett
Viva Voce
White Stripes

Frunobulax
11-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Been digging La Monte Young more so now than ever. And some Tom Waits (mainly Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Heartattack and Vine) and Gavin Bryers' absolutely gorgeous work Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet. And some Mark Pickerel, QOTSA, Built To Spill, and Steve Fisk's solo albums.

Frunobulax
11-17-2007, 10:00 AM
K-os
Jay-z
Linkin Park
Jimmy Eat World
Coheed & Cambria
Neverending White Lights
Rise Against
The Exit
Arctic Monkeys
Foo Fighters
RHCP
Danger Mouse
MF Doom
Danger Doom (MF and Mouse combined)
Barenaked Ladies
People in Planes
Our Lady Peace
Alexisonfire
The Styx
Genesis
Supertramp
Death Cab For Cutie
Ill Scarlett
Viva Voce
White Stripes
Some good here, like Styx (no The), Death Cab, White Stripes. And some not so good--mainly the rap and other rock. Danger Mouse tends to be pretty good, and MF Doom has some good shit, but Dangerdoom never did it for me. And the first 18 are expendable at best usually. RHCP have been tragically repetitive in their last few efforts. For what it's worth, if you like MF Doom's MMM FOOD album (which samples from all time favourite of mine Frank Zappa TWICE), you may like The Kelptones wonderful mashups.

sarah
11-18-2007, 09:22 AM
blerg!

I don't think i could put a fair list together. I will say that for about five months all I listened to was the white stripes....seriously, i was a bit obsessed.

Frunobulax
11-21-2007, 12:31 AM
I got over Icky Thump pretty quick. It never did it for me for some reason. Deerhoof's Friend Opportunity, though. That had me for a while.

towerguard
11-21-2007, 05:18 AM
I got over Icky Thump pretty quick. It never did it for me for some reason. Deerhoof's Friend Opportunity, though. That had me for a while.

Please provide a link to everyband you ever mention. Because no one knows who you're talking about... :lol:

Frunobulax
11-21-2007, 02:56 PM
http://deerhoof.killrockstars.com/

towerguard
11-23-2007, 01:01 AM
http://deerhoof.killrockstars.com/

thankya kindly, indie-man

:nana:

She-Oy
11-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Paperboy's Ditty..........yeah, I'm behind like that.

Sympathy For The Devil
12-12-2007, 05:21 AM
Lately iv been listening to the following artists quite a bit

Ryan Adams

Rilo Kiley

Jenny lewis and the watson twins

The Smiths

Led zeppelin (i cant beleive they just got back together)

The stooges

The beatles

The stones

Gram parsons

Neil young

Thats all i can think of right now. Oh wait add Guns n roses to that list aswell.

Darkthoughts
12-13-2007, 04:08 AM
I keep coming in here to post...and then leaving again without posting - simply because my list is HUGE!!! I tried copying and pasting the band names from my itunes library, but it didn't work properly.
Suffice it to say, there are 201 bands on there. I listen to them on shuffle most of the time.

Frunobulax
12-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Heh. Yeah, anything I list ultimately ends up as one in a list of well over 300 artists or so (maybe closer to 500 given the records and CDs not on my iTunes).

Sai_Rhavan
12-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Nobuo Uematsu, the father of Final Fantasy music.
Three Days Grace- Get Out Alive, Never Too Late, Over And Over
Avenged Sevenfold- Afterlife, Little Piece Of Heaven(seriously, find the lyrics for it)
Blue Oyster Cult
The Black Mages
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dragonforce (The most shreddin of all butt metal)
Ted Nugent
Streetlight Manifesto
Breaking Benjamin
Living Colour
Dethklok
Raffi (bananaphone)
Europe (The Final Countdown!)
Tenacious D
Disturbed
The Entire LOTR on Audio
The Reduced Shakespeare Company- The Bible, the Complete Word Of God...Abridged!

and so many more. But my fingers are tiring.

Kevin
12-13-2007, 03:41 PM
My itunes Library: 2360 songs, 6:16:57:16 total time, 8.87 GB. :D

Every single song paid for, which I'm proud of.

Lets compare?

Sai_Rhavan
12-13-2007, 03:57 PM
My Zune has 942 songs, with an extra 1.52 gigs on for videos. Total of 4.15 gigs

Arthur Heath
12-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Floater (http://www.floatermusic.com)

and

Clutch (http://www.pro-rock.com/)

Frunobulax
12-13-2007, 04:38 PM

Lets compare?

Well over 4,500 songs, over 20 days, and approx. 40.4 gigs (from memory, my stats may be wrong). The Merzbow 50 CD MERZBOX (an awesome noise compilation) and long La Monte Young pieces (The Well-Tuned Piano is one 5 hour piece) help.

Frunobulax
12-13-2007, 04:39 PM
My Zune has 942 songs, with an extra 1.52 gigs on for videos. Total of 4.15 gigs

I'm so sorry you have a Zune.

Kevin
12-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Lets compare?

Well over 4,500 songs, over 20 days, and approx. 40.4 gigs (from memory, my stats may be wrong). The Merzbow 50 CD MERZBOX (an awesome noise compilation) and long La Monte Young pieces (The Well-Tuned Piano is one 5 hour piece) help.

:panic:

SON-OF-WAYNE
12-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Dreamtheater
Opeth
Muse
Lamb of God
Devildriver
Rush
Nine Inch Nails
Yes I love Progresive and Metal....

Telynn
12-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Been listening to a lot of Trans Siberian Orchestra lately, getting myself all ready for the concert. :rock:

Frunobulax
12-14-2007, 12:16 AM

Lets compare?

:panic:

Why the panicky smilie thingy?

Heather19
12-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Been listening to a lot of Trans Siberian Orchestra lately, getting myself all ready for the concert. :rock:

I love them! I've been listening to them a lot the last couple of weeks as well. I went to see them back in Nov, kinda wished it was closer to christmas because it was weird to listen to christmas music before thanksgiving.
They put on such a good show. Have you seen them before?

Telynn
12-14-2007, 06:21 PM
I've seen them 3 times. I love them. Such a good show.

Heather19
12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, this was my second time seeing them, but I think it's going to become a yearly tradition for me and my friend.
Supposedly they're working on a new album, which they said should be released by next summer.

sarajean
12-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Clutch (http://www.pro-rock.com/)

can i get a witness for the rock of ages?

:thumbsup:

clutch is always good times.

Will
12-14-2007, 09:28 PM

Yeah, it's a bummer having a player superior to an iPod that supports a really fantastic subscription program. I don't know how I manage. D:

I've been listening to Primus pretty much nonstop lately.

OchrisO
12-14-2007, 09:33 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Iron & Wine, the new Nine Inch nails, which, thankfully is a lot more like the older stuff, a good deal of old Fugazi stuff, inspired by sarajean, Rise Against, Lucero, Against Me!, The Devil is Electric, This Bike is a Pipe Bomb, Ghost Mice, Sigur Ros, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, Mindless Self Indulgence, Elliott Smith, Meat Puppets and Nirvana.

Jimmy
12-14-2007, 09:36 PM
Twisted Sister put out a metal Christmas album and it makes me happy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/TwistedChristmas.png

Rjeso
12-15-2007, 06:24 AM

Lets compare?

4634 songs, 12.3 days, 19.91 GB.

Darkthoughts
12-15-2007, 06:25 AM
I've got just under 800 songs on my ipod, but I only got it this October - so that's only songs from my cd collection so far.

Sai_Rhavan
12-15-2007, 06:41 AM

Yeah, it's a bummer having a player superior to an iPod that supports a really fantastic subscription program. I don't know how I manage. D:

Counting you, that makes 4 people I know who understand how epic the Zune actually is, whether it's in service or easy of compatability when compared to the I Pod: My friend Tony, myself, you, and Bill Gates.

Darkthoughts
12-15-2007, 06:50 AM
Primus! I was listening to Tommy The Cat earlier :thumbsup:

Heather19
12-15-2007, 07:10 AM
What service does the zune come with? Is it rhapsody?

Sai_Rhavan
12-15-2007, 07:14 AM
I think it's just called Zune media player. I have Rhapsody as well, but I've never used it. It has a great list of features, like downloading all of your songs from ITunes, and for 14.99 a month you get unlimited music. Greatest thing for me, ever.

Will
12-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Rhaven, do you have FairUse4WM? It took my Zune experience from great to unbeatable.

Primus! I was listening to Tommy The Cat earlier :thumbsup:

She knew what she wanted! She was lookin' for that...stud bull. :lol:

Heather19
12-15-2007, 12:06 PM
I think it's just called Zune media player. I have Rhapsody as well, but I've never used it. It has a great list of features, like downloading all of your songs from ITunes, and for 14.99 a month you get unlimited music. Greatest thing for me, ever.

I've got rhapsody with my mp3 player and I love it. It sounds the same as yours. For $15 a month you can get unlimited music to play on your mp3 player or computer. The only thing you can't do is burn the songs to a cd unless you purchase them, but if you've got the player there's really no need for that. It's alot better than having to pay for every single song you want to download.

OchrisO
12-15-2007, 12:38 PM
I bought a zune after I first picked up an ipod and the harddrive crashed three days after I bought it. I took the ipod back and got a zune instead. I love it, but the only think that annoys me now is, as of the last fireware update, even if you don't have it set to auto sync, if you delete something from your harddrive, it also disappears from the zune. It didn't used to be that way. I download a lot of public domain audiobooks from http://www.librivox.org and I like to delete themf rom my harddrive after I add them to my zune. I can't do that anymore and it annoys the fuck out of me.

Frunobulax
12-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Lets compare?

4634 songs, 12.3 days, 19.91 GB.

I was totally wrong about my estimates. It's 7000 songs...wow whadda boob!

Anywho, my laptop needs a new monitor since it was cracked with a Frank Lloyd Wright picture yesterday by accident. So updated on that music will wait.

I just got my Radiohead discbox, so Disc 2 of In Rainbows is pumping now.

And besides that, Minor Threat, Massive Attack, Steve Reich, White Rainbow, Primus, and Andrew Bird have all gotten love in the past three days.

Frunobulax
12-15-2007, 01:33 PM

Really? Because the limits on music sharing, crippling DRMs, inability to share music with those outside of the US, lack of Mac compatibility for more music sharing, and "three plays" limits all seem pretty bad. But I digress.[/opinionsnoneedtorespond]

Will
12-15-2007, 02:30 PM
If any of those besides the DRM thing impacted me, I'd care. But I use FairUse to strip the DRM off my subscription files, so I'm basically just left with a $15 per month music buffet.

Frunobulax
12-15-2007, 06:54 PM
OK. Fair enough.

Anyways, what else have y'all been listening to in '07?

Heather19
12-15-2007, 07:42 PM
What's on disc 2 of In Rainbows? Is it some more new stuff?

Frunobulax
12-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Yep. Mostly new songs, although MK 1 and MK 2 are very short instrumental interludes. 4 Minute Warning, Bangers + Mash, Up On The Ladder, Last Flowers, Go Slowly, and Down Is The New Up are the full length songs. About 30 more minutes of music.

Ruthful
12-15-2007, 10:42 PM
The New York Dolls

Co-sign.

I watched a concert they gave on PBS earlier this year and was very impressed.

I also like some of the Chad Kroeger collaborations I'm hearing of late, e.g. with Santana, Linkin Park, among others.

Frunobulax
12-15-2007, 10:52 PM
The Avalanches superb debut album/only album so far Since I Left You has been getting heavy play recently. Over 3500 samples make up the entire disc.

Seymour_Glass
04-25-2008, 06:17 PM
I've been listening to

All the Shins albums

Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga and Gimme Fiction by Spoon

Electro-shock Blues, Daisies of the Galaxy and Blinking Lights and Other Revelations by Eels

Guero and Odelay by Beck

The Moon and Antarctica by Modest Mouse

Illinoise by Sufjan Stevens

In Rainbows- Radiohead

Elliot Smith

The Fragile Army by The Polyphonic Spree

Elephant Gun - Beirut

The new Death Cab single.

blackrose22
04-26-2008, 02:09 PM
In 2007 Rush took over for me from the time the released Snakes and Arrows. Hadn't really listened to them in long time and that album renewed my love for them and then the announced dates in the UK so i headed over to see them in Birmingham and they blew me away like they did in 1992s Roll the Bones gig in Wembley London. So I was listening to them virtually non stop all last year and still playing them on a regular bias. Just got their latest live CD Snakes and Arrow Live and can't wait for the release of the DVD version later in the year.
As for other bands the list is too big to put up but its a mixture of old and new alike, mostly rock and metal.