PDA

View Full Version : Personalized Film Recommendations

Jean
10-18-2011, 02:45 AM
let's post our personalized recommendations here; I'm thinking about awarding some points in case the film you've recommended has been liked. For the time being, let's just post recommendations and quick feedback ("watched and liked", or else "watched and did not like")

My recommendations:

to Doctor Dodge: Delicatessen and La cité des enfants perdus, both by Jean-Pierre Jeunet

to Brice: Cul-de-Sac

Recommended to me:

by Mattrick: The Last Exorcism - loved
by Doctor Dodge: Life on Mars - adored; Withnail and I - adored
(there are more, will post later)

DoctorDodge
10-18-2011, 04:24 AM
Excellent idea for a thread, bears! My recommendations are really only limited to tv shows at the moment, with the exception of Withnail & I, although to be honest, that's been recommended to quite a few people on this board, so for the moment, I'll just post recommendations made to me.

Recommended to me:
by Jean: The Orphanage - loved it, The Devil's Backbone - loved it, Delicatessen and La cité des enfants perdus - to watch
by Heather19: House of 1000 Corpses - really liked it, Opera - to watch, Them - to watch
by feverishparade: Brazil - to watch

fernandito
10-18-2011, 07:44 AM
My recommendations

To Bethany : The Godfather
To DD : Brazil

Recommended to me

By DD : Withnail & I (to watch)

Heather19
10-18-2011, 08:13 AM
My recommendations

Recommended to me

Don't forget my recommendation to you! ;)

fernandito
10-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Oh I was going to text you ! My friend got it off netflix for me and he's going to let me borrow it tomorrow ! :D

My recommendations

Recommended to me

By Heather : East of Eden (to watch)

Heather19
10-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Yes!!! :excited:

Bethany
10-18-2011, 09:45 AM
My recommendations

Recommended to me

I knew you were going to say that :couple:

Annabeth loves House of 1000 Corpses.

Recommended to me:
Pretty much every movie made after 1999.

Merlin1958
10-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Don't know about reccomendations, but this is a classic all should see!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MfbYnz8ucc

Heather19
10-19-2011, 06:33 AM
My recommendations
To Feev: Rebecca

Recommended to me
By DD: Withnail & I, This is England (to watch)

Jean
10-19-2011, 10:20 AM
seconded, all of the above! guys, do it NOW

Jean
10-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Recommendation:

to DD - Wag the Dog
(long overdue)

I assume that Brice and feverish have both seen it. If not, the recommendation goes to you guys too.

fernandito
10-21-2011, 07:32 AM
I saw that film a few years ago, I fucking LOVE it. I actually reference it on a semi-regular basis

"It's true. It's gotta be true, I saw it on TV!"
"No no no ! This isn't over ! You know what this is !? This Act 1 : The War."
"Sir, the President wants a white kitten. Repeat, white kitten."

Also, that whole 303 thing is brilliant :lol:

I actually recommended it to a friend a few months(?) back, he's heavily into politics and I know he'd appreciate the satirical aspects of it.

Mattrick
10-22-2011, 05:38 AM
Recommendation:

to DD - Wag the Dog
(long overdue)

I assume that Brice and feverish have both seen it. If not, the recommendation goes to you guys too.

This is a great movie. Been years since I'd seen it, I'd love to watch it again. Just had an image of that 'refugee' running with a bag of Lays potato chips haha

Jean and DD - My Dog Tulip

I wrote a review for this in the rate the last movie you saw, so if you search you'll probably find it. It's quite and excellent movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-CEDsZstdI The trailer

Jean
10-22-2011, 06:14 AM
Mattrick: so far none of your recommendations failed to succeed with bears. By the way, was it you who recommended Pontypool to me?

Mattrick
10-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Indeed it was. You were all 'you must recommend me more movies' after that and The Last Exorcism. I also suggest Dark City if you've never seen it as it is one of the greatest movies ever made. Oh and Les Planets Sauvage (Fantastic Planet) which is a brilliant French animated film from the 70's. I think it was Heather I got to watch it some time ago and she really liked it.

Jean
10-22-2011, 07:31 AM
I am going to put all of your recommendations together and watch every single one of them.

Mattrick
10-22-2011, 07:51 AM
I have a pretty odd taste in movies. I love movie that are odd. Whether it's odd characters, odd sets or visuals, odd music, odd plots, odd ideas. Odd always seems more real to me. When you're done those I may have to think of a few more hidden gems you may not know...maybe have to go through mine and my friends dvd collections.

Brice
10-22-2011, 07:55 AM
Wag The Dog was great.

Also I'm taking partial credit for any and all Argento recommendations.

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2011, 10:57 AM
I probably wouldn't have watched I Love You, Man if not for Mattrick's repeated postive reviews to the forum in general. Does that count? It was a bit above average to me.

DoctorDodge
10-24-2011, 06:15 AM
My recommendations:
To Jean: Four Lions,
To Heather19: Withnail & I, This Is England, Quadrophenia,
To feverishparade: Withnail & I,
To Mattrick: Withnail & I (what can I say, I think this film should be watched by everyone! :lol:)

Recommended to me:
by Jean: The Orphanage - loved it, The Devil's Backbone - loved it, Delicatessen and La cité des enfants perdus - to watch, Wag the Dog - to watch, The Last Exorcism - to watch,
by Heather19: House of 1000 Corpses - really liked it, Opera - to watch, Them - to watch

alkanto
10-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Hm...I would do a lot in this thread if we included recommended television shows! As it is, I haven't had too many film recommendations, as of late.

Jean
10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11225-Recommended-TV-we-SHOULD-be-watching)is the thread you need, love!

DD: I'll watch Four Lions as soon as I'm through with Inception and East of Eden, which I have both abandoned (for different reasons) and can't make myself go back to

DoctorDodge
10-25-2011, 01:51 AM
I know you'll enjoy it, Alfred (huh, I've just realised that by sheer, random coincidence, I've realised the two people I have the biggest discussions with on tv and film have chosen for their halloween costumes, respectively, Fred and Alfred. Sorry, i'm just the kind of person who raises a smile at that! :D). It's quoteable, it's British, and all the characters feel like real people. I didn't finish Wag the Dog last night, but I will finish it tonight and let you know what I think.

Merlin1958
10-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Recommended to Jean:

Snatch
Boondock Saints
Sherlock Holmes

Jean
10-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Snatch, yes! thank you for reminding me, I was going to watch it for ages, and keep forgetting

which is the Sherlock you mean, Bill?

DoctorDodge
10-25-2011, 11:24 PM
I really don't hope George means the Guy Ritchie version released in 2009 with Robert Downey Jr bears and instead means the modern tv series released last year. I thought the Ritchie version was pretty shallow, if I'm honest: a film that tried hard to get everything superficially true to the books - such as the foggy Victorian streets, for example - and yet ended up being another generic Hollywood blockbuster for me.

The series last year, on the other hand, which is a modern day version with mobile phones and laptops used to solve crimes, is oddly enough a lot more faithful in spirit to the original stories, especially with the relationship between Holmes and Watson. They only did 3 eps last year, but they were 90 minutes long each and each was wonderful to watch. That, I'd definitely keep an eye out for, bears. I'm sure you'd enjoy that series a lot more than the film.

Heather19
10-26-2011, 02:17 AM
For some reason I thought you seen Snatch Jean? Or is it just Lock, Stock... that you love?

Jean
10-26-2011, 02:25 AM
I saw one third, or rather almost a half, of Snatch, and then the computer crashed - it was a few years ago

Merlin1958
10-27-2011, 07:33 PM
Snatch, yes! thank you for reminding me, I was going to watch it for ages, and keep forgetting

which is the Sherlock you mean, Bill?

Why Guy Ritchie's entry of course!!! Sherlock II is due out this holiday season I believe!!

Merlin1958
10-27-2011, 07:36 PM
I really don't hope George means the Guy Ritchie version released in 2009 with Robert Downey Jr bears and instead means the modern tv series released last year. I thought the Ritchie version was pretty shallow, if I'm honest: a film that tried hard to get everything superficially true to the books - such as the foggy Victorian streets, for example - and yet ended up being another generic Hollywood blockbuster for me.

The series last year, on the other hand, which is a modern day version with mobile phones and laptops used to solve crimes, is oddly enough a lot more faithful in spirit to the original stories, especially with the relationship between Holmes and Watson. They only did 3 eps last year, but they were 90 minutes long each and each was wonderful to watch. That, I'd definitely keep an eye out for, bears. I'm sure you'd enjoy that series a lot more than the film.

Oh man!!! So sorry you didn't care for it. I, on the other hand, enjoyed it a lot. Was it deep? Maybe not, but it was loads of fun IMHO

pathoftheturtle
10-27-2011, 07:46 PM
To Jean: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Synecdoche, New York

Did you say you were watching Synecdoche? Thoughts?

Merlin1958
10-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Jean,

If memory serves, you are a Beatles fan, no? If so there is an excellent documentary on George Harrison currently running on HBO. I would think it is also available on the web. Worth the time and viewing

Merlin1958
10-27-2011, 07:57 PM
Jean,

Your PM box is full. I'd be happy to buy a copy of "Snatch" and send it to you if you PM me an address. Could send ya "Boondock Saints" as well.

DoctorDodge
10-27-2011, 11:37 PM

Oh man!!! So sorry you didn't care for it. I, on the other hand, enjoyed it a lot. Was it deep? Maybe not, but it was loads of fun IMHO

Have you seen the Sherlock tv series made last year? I watched that first, so that might've had something to do with it. Maybe I would've liked the Ritchie version more if my standards hadn't been set so ridiculously high. As it is, the modern day series was surprisingly one of the best new shows of last year. Maybe it wasn't exactly "deep", either, but it was a hell of a lot of fun whilst sticking true to the spirit of the original stories. Watch it asap!

Jean
10-28-2011, 04:14 AM

Did you say you were watching Synecdoche? Thoughts?no, I only downloaded it and then had to go away. Now I am sure going to watch both, thank you!

Jean,

If memory serves, you are a Beatles fan, no? If so there is an excellent documentary on George Harrison currently running on HBO. I would think it is also available on the web. Worth the time and viewingYes, bears love The Beatles, thank you!

Jean,

Your PM box is full. I'd be happy to buy a copy of "Snatch" and send it to you if you PM me an address. Could send ya "Boondock Saints" as well.Thank you really really much! No, the only thing that can be found without problems here is movies. I will watch all your recommendations, of course - in the order of download. Sending something here is a big problem, though...

alkanto
10-28-2011, 08:17 AM

Have you seen the Sherlock tv series made last year? I watched that first, so that might've had something to do with it. Maybe I would've liked the Ritchie version more if my standards hadn't been set so ridiculously high. As it is, the modern day series was surprisingly one of the best new shows of last year. Maybe it wasn't exactly "deep", either, but it was a hell of a lot of fun whilst sticking true to the spirit of the original stories. Watch it asap!

Discussions like this make me feel like I am in the minority. I loved both versions, for very different reasons! Obviously the greatest merit to the Guy Ritchie version is the fact that, like Merlin said, was that it was simply fun. The mysteries weren't impossible to figure out and I could still follow them. When I watched it for the first time, I had loads of fun seeing what I could figure out before Sherlock. I'm also a huge fan of RDJ and Jude Law, so that helped.
With the BBC adaptation, however...it's just an amazing piece of cinema (which I feel is a valid classification, given the high production quality and length). A new version of the old characters is something that could have gone either really poorly, or fantastically. I'm so happy it took the later road, there. But honestly, the two are so different, I have a hard time comparing the versions.

Jean
10-28-2011, 08:19 AM
now I want to watch both...

pathoftheturtle
10-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Have you seen the Sherlock tv series made last year? I watched that first, so that might've had something to do with it. Maybe I would've liked the Ritchie version more if my standards hadn't been set so ridiculously high. ...I watched the Ritchie film first, but still agree with every word you said about them. Even compared to old Sherlock Holmes adaptations of decades ago, I felt this was an unnecessary update. A bit overly derivative of unrelated recent action-mystery films, too, but it did carry off the tropes better than usual. And I think it was more successful and worthwhile than remakes like Star Trek: fun without inducing all THAT many cringes. (Far more stars to "Shelock" TV, nonetheless.)

Mattrick
10-29-2011, 07:40 AM

Did you say you were watching Synecdoche? Thoughts?

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is great. Synecdoche, New York is even greater. I think Synecdoche is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Jean
10-29-2011, 07:47 AM
... and I remember that you said this before and was the first to recommend them both, to bears and people alike

pathoftheturtle
10-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Definitely one of the greatest contemporary American films.

Contrast to Inception reminded me.

DoctorDodge
10-31-2011, 04:53 PM
My recommendations:
To Jean: Four Lions,
To Heather19: Withnail & I, This Is England, Quadrophenia,
To Mattrick: Withnail & I

Recommended to me:
by Jean: The Orphanage - loved it, The Devil's Backbone - loved it, Delicatessen and La cité des enfants perdus - to watch, Wag the Dog - enjoyed it, The Last Exorcism - loved it,

Mattrick
10-31-2011, 07:01 PM
Watch Pontypool next. Along with Last Exorcism two of the best horrors of the past decade.

Jean
10-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Watch Pontypool next. Along with Last Exorcism two of the best horrors of the past decade.
QFT

Brice
11-01-2011, 07:17 AM

Did you say you were watching Synecdoche? Thoughts?no, I only downloaded it and then had to go away. Now I am sure going to watch both, thank you!

Jean,

If memory serves, you are a Beatles fan, no? If so there is an excellent documentary on George Harrison currently running on HBO. I would think it is also available on the web. Worth the time and viewingYes, bears love The Beatles, thank you!

Jean,

Your PM box is full. I'd be happy to buy a copy of "Snatch" and send it to you if you PM me an address. Could send ya "Boondock Saints" as well.Thank you really really much! No, the only thing that can be found without problems here is movies. I will watch all your recommendations, of course - in the order of download. Sending something here is a big problem, though...

Yes, some have been trying to work out ways to send bears mail for years now. :(

Brice
11-01-2011, 07:18 AM

Jean,

Jean,

Yes, some have been trying to work out ways to send bears mail for years now. :(

Jean
11-01-2011, 07:38 AM
yes...
:sad bear:

Brice
11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Awwww! :(

DoctorDodge
12-01-2011, 02:26 PM
My recommendations:
To Jean: Four Lions, Snuff Box (a tv series, true, but one that, after finishing Delicatessen, I am sure you will absolutely love, Jean)
To Heather19: This Is England, Quadrophenia,
To Mattrick: Withnail & I

Recommended to me:
by Jean: The Orphanage - loved it, The Devil's Backbone - loved it, Delicatessen - loved it, La cité des enfants perdus - to watch, Wag the Dog - enjoyed it, The Last Exorcism - loved it,
by Heather19: House of 1000 Corpses - really liked it, Opera - to watch, Them - liked it,
by Mattrick: Pontypool - to watch

Mattrick
12-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Don't forget Pontypool

DoctorDodge
12-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Sorry, Mattrick. Edited accordingly!

fernandito
12-01-2011, 03:49 PM
WATCH BRAZIL

DoctorDodge
12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
I TOLD YOU WHEN I'D WATCH IT - WHEN YOU WATCH MORE OF SERIES 5.

pathoftheturtle
12-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Dude, you're just hurting yourself. Can I issue a Personalized Recommendation for Brazil that covers any grown person who hasn't seen it yet?

DoctorDodge
12-02-2011, 11:05 AM
I agreed with feev that I'd watch it as soon as he's watched more Who, and I'm a man of my word. Hell, I had the Brazil dvd from Lovefilm for several weeks before I had to return it unwatched to check out one of Heather's recommendations. Till feev makes good on his deal, plenty of other great films to watch before then, as you can see from my list.

Mattrick
12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
To EVERYONE - WATCH HUGO. RIGHT NOW, IN 3-D, you are doing yourself a disservice if you do not see it in 3-D hashtag #masterpiece

Brice
12-11-2011, 06:19 PM
No film shows in 3d in this town...not even the 3d movies.

Jean
12-12-2011, 08:03 AM
To Brice and Doctor Dodge: Carnage

Brice
12-12-2011, 08:27 AM
I will look for it. What type of film should I expect here?

Jean
12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
expect exactly what I would recommend to both you and DD personally

DoctorDodge
12-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Which does cover a broad area with our tastes, Jean! :lol:

Black comedy directed by Polanski. Released in February over here in the UK. I'll do my best to lookout for it.

Brice
12-12-2011, 08:35 AM
Ooh... a polanski. :D

Jean
12-12-2011, 08:43 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

fernandito
12-12-2011, 10:27 AM
No film shows in 3d in this town...not even the 3d movies.

Wth ? Seriously ? Is your town still stuck in 2005 or somethin' ?

Ricky
12-12-2011, 12:00 PM
If it is, in the words of Liz Lemon, "I want to go to there."

Brice
12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Actually I believe 2005 is in the future here.

Jean
03-13-2012, 10:57 PM
to Heather and feverish: Possession, by Andrzej Żuławski (1981)

I did not like it, but it is interesting and extemely beautiful, in a perverted sort of way

fernandito
03-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Looked it up. It's got Sam Neill in it. I'm sold. Will add to Netflix queue momentarily :D

Heather19
03-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Is it on netflix for you feev? It was coming up as saved for me :( I'll have to see if I can find it elsewhere. Sounds interesting.

Shannon
03-14-2012, 04:27 PM
I wanna play!

Read through the thread, I've seen some movies mentioned so far and here are my ratings (out of 5):

The Last Exorcism: 4
Life On Mars: Season One: 5
Withnail & I: 2 (Sorry DD, just not for me :()
The Orphanage: Seen it but didn't rate it for some unknown reason ... Hmmm. I remember it being OK, very ... "moody" lol
House Of 1000 Corpses: 4
The Devil's Rejects: 4
Them / Ils: 3 (The Strangers is such a better movie in my opinion.)
The Godfather: 3
I Love You, Man: 3
Inception: One of my Top Thirty favorite movies. :)
Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows: 2
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind: One of my Top Thirty favorite movies. :)

I posted this before somewhere else, but here are the lists of my Top Fifteen Favorite TV Shows and my Top Thirty Favorite Movies:

Top Fifteen (Television):
Battlestar Galactica (2003)
Dawson's Creek
Deadwood
Firefly
Friends
Glee
Jersey Shore
Lost *** Top Spot
Nip/Tuck
The Office (2005)
Prison Break
Smallville
Spartacus
True Blood
The Walking Dead

Potential Top Fifteen material (depending on future seasons): American Horror Story, Game Of Thrones

Top Thirty (Movies):
12 Angry Men (1957)
Aliens
Anchorman
The Chronicles Of Riddick
Closer
Con Air
The Dark Knight
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
The Family Stone
Gladiator *** Top Spot
Inception
Interview With The Vampire
The Life Of David Gale
The Lion King
Love Actually
The Majestic
Meet Joe Black
Moulin Rouge
The Notebook
Old School
The Prestige
Pulp Fiction
Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
Saving Private Ryan
The Social Network
Star Trek (2009)
The Terminal
Vanilla Sky
Wedding Crashers
Wicker Park

fernandito
03-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Hey, Shannon :)

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1687-Your-25-Favorite-Movies/page7

Jean
03-30-2012, 09:32 AM
to Doctor Dodge:

The Ninth Gate

seems like I know you well enough now to guarantee that you'll enjoy this very peculiar thing... few people understand it at all, but bears and heathers love it!

Heather19
03-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Yes! Although maybe you shouldn't tell him that I like it, as he strays away from my recommendations :lol:
And Jean I have Carnage arriving for me hopefully tomorrow :)

Jean
03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
I don't reallly think that you'll like it - doesn't look to me like your type of movie - but, of course, I don't lose hope

Heather19
03-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Oh no, really? I was looking forward to it. And it has Kate in it, who's one of my favorite actresses. I will let you know when I watch it :)

DoctorDodge
03-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I didn't think it'd be your cup of tea either Heather. Although I do envy that you live somewhere where it's out already, and not June like over here. :pullhair:

Shannon
03-30-2012, 02:23 PM
mE ME MEEEE! Someone film personalize meeeee! :)

Jean
04-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Heather :rose: - as I said, I don't lose hope. I have seen it five times by now, and love it immensely - will write a review sooner or later - but it's much more DD's type of movie than yours. Although I might be mistaken :rose:

For Shannon: The Man Who Would Be King

Heather19
04-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Heather :rose: - as I said, I don't lose hope. I have seen it five times by now, and love it immensely - will write a review sooner or later - but it's much more DD's type of movie than yours. Although I might be mistaken :rose:

Watched it earlier :) I really enjoyed it. I wonder what it is that you think I wouldn't like about it? It's not a film I could watch over and over, but I'm glad I saw it. I'm a huge fan of Kate Winslet's, so I'll pretty much watch anything with her in it. I think she's phenomenal. And I love Christoph Waltz too. So it was a joy seeing them together. The only thing that bugged me at first was how they started to leave a few times, only to go back in. Seemed a little forced at first. You're in the hallway about to hop on the elevator, oh wait I didn't offer you coffee? I'd love to read you're review Jean, as I'm sure you'd add a lot of insight into it. Also at the end, were the kids playing together? I wasn't quite sure, but that would make sense and be the perfect ending.

alkanto
04-01-2012, 10:52 AM
mE ME MEEEE! Someone film personalize meeeee! :)

:lol: I feel the same way...so many people on here have amazing film tastes, whereas I'm just sitting over here in the corner, watching Moulin Rogue...again :P Then again, I'm not really sure I know what type of movie it is I like, though. So I can't even figure out movies for myself!

Jean
04-01-2012, 11:10 AM

Watched it earlier :) I really enjoyed it. I wonder what it is that you think I wouldn't like about it? It's not a film I could watch over and over, but I'm glad I saw it. I'm a huge fan of Kate Winslet's, so I'll pretty much watch anything with her in it. I think she's phenomenal. And I love Christoph Waltz too. So it was a joy seeing them together. The only thing that bugged me at first was how they started to leave a few times, only to go back in. Seemed a little forced at first. You're in the hallway about to hop on the elevator, oh wait I didn't offer you coffee? I'd love to read you're review Jean, as I'm sure you'd add a lot of insight into it. Also at the end, were the kids playing together? I wasn't quite sure, but that would make sense and be the perfect ending.

oh, bears are happy now!! (I was afraid the visual minimalism might put you off some.) Loved Kate and Christoph too, and will write a lot as soon as my present troubles dissipate a bit (and DD - maybe I'll just send you the file? I can't wait till June) - LOL, the thing that bugged you is exactly what I am going to hinge the existential content of the film on! And the answer to the question is yes, - and I too think it's the perfect ending

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Heather19
04-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Excellent! I look forward to reading it then. I knew you'd have some reason for it :)

pathoftheturtle
04-01-2012, 12:02 PM
I ♥ Joel and Ethan Coen.

DoctorDodge
04-01-2012, 12:29 PM

oh, bears are happy now!! (I was afraid the visual minimalism might put you off some.) Loved Kate and Christoph too, and will write a lot as soon as my present troubles dissipate a bit (and DD - maybe I'll just send you the file? I can't wait till June) - LOL, the thing that bugged you is exactly what I am going to hinge the existential content of the film on! And the answer to the question is yes, - and I too think it's the perfect ending

:rose: :rose: :rose:

Way ahead of ya: found a website to download it from, will hopefully watch later this week.

fernandito
04-02-2012, 08:46 AM
I ♥ Joel and Ethan Coen.

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Coen-Brothers-Popular-Culture/dp/0813134455/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333385180&sr=1-1

Darkthoughts
04-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Oh and Les Planets Sauvage (Fantastic Planet) which is a brilliant French animated film from the 70's. I think it was Heather I got to watch it some time ago and she really liked it.
It was also me who watched it on your recommendation and loved it. Infact Matt, you've been responsible for 75% of my film lists in the past couple of years - I've really got back in to movie watching because of it.

Could I have some recommendations please. And in return can I recommend to you all, but especially Jean, Heather, Matt and Feev, El Secreto De Sus Ojos (The Secret In Their Eyes) a beautiful Argentinian film that I really want to rave about with people.

Heather19
04-15-2012, 05:14 PM
Yes, I've been meaning to watch that Lisa. I think it got buried somewhere in my netflix queue :lol: I'll have to bump it near the top.

Jean
04-15-2012, 11:16 PM
downloading it now

(will I ever finish Melancholia?...)

Darkthoughts
04-15-2012, 11:33 PM
:lol: Did you not finish it because you didn't like it, or you were interrupted for some reason?

Jean
04-15-2012, 11:51 PM
I fell asleep twice. Don't know under which category it comes.

Darkthoughts
04-15-2012, 11:53 PM
:lol: I don't think you'll ever make it through the whole thing then in that case :D

Jean
04-15-2012, 11:55 PM
oh yes, I will... I owe it to Lars...

fernandito
04-16-2012, 07:35 AM
...I recommend to you all, but especially Jean, Heather, Matt and Feev, El Secreto De Sus Ojos (The Secret In Their Eyes) a beautiful Argentinian film that I really want to rave about with people.

Just looked it up, looks fantastic. Also, I completely forgot that this was the 2010 Oscar winner for best foreign film !

Darkthoughts
04-16-2012, 09:34 AM
No way, I didn't know it had won an Oscar - brilliant, it utterly deserved one! Watch it as soon as is humanly possibly, it's perfect.

Jean
05-12-2012, 01:30 PM
No way, I didn't know it had won an Oscar - brilliant, it utterly deserved one! Watch it as soon as is humanly possibly, it's perfect.
watched and briefly reviewed. Loved it.

Heather!!! did you see The Bad Seed? I think you have; I've just watched it, - adorable! Do you know any other films like this?

Heather19
05-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Heather!!! did you see The Bad Seed? I think you have; I've just watched it, - adorable! Do you know any other films like this?

I don't think I've ever seen it. Will watch it as soon as possible! :couple:

Brice
05-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Yes, do watch The Bad Seed. Classic!

pathoftheturtle
05-15-2012, 09:44 AM
... Do you know any other films like this?There is... :pullhair: something... on the tip of my tongue... :orely:

pathoftheturtle
05-16-2012, 01:07 PM
The thing is; back in the day, there was no internet. Criticism and catharsis worked in much different fashion. I can't quite recall whether I first saw The Bad Seed in '79 or 1980. But I remember we didn't even have VCRs. People used to learn about movies the hard way; bit by bit. The fun of that one is that the underlying psychological presumptions are so quaint that it's almost melodrama... and I know that's ringing bells for me to some quite specific associations. I've just piled so much more onto my poor old unconscious since then, plus forming these modern habits, it's not snapping to the way it once did. Dig, dig...

fernandito
08-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Alright, I know I've said "I definitely need to check that film/director out" like a million times this year ... problem is I hardly ever write the recommendations down :blush:

I have Argento on my radar and am working through the Hitchcock films that are still pending. What else?

Ricky
08-15-2012, 02:18 PM
There's this great indie director that I like. Does sort of psychological/thriller-type films, but kind of under the radar. Name is Christopher Nolan. I really think you'd like his filmography. Deep, mind-bending stuff.

fernandito
08-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Hmmm. Never heard of that guy. Must be really underground. I'll look into it!

Brice
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
His stuff's REALLY obscure. I mean I'd guess probably only one in two people in the US have seen a Nolan film*.

*These statistics are adjusted to include the blind, imprisoned, and the dead.

fernandito
08-16-2012, 12:12 PM
:lol:

Jean
02-21-2013, 12:29 PM
James! I think you still haven't watched Pontypool!!! Please do!! I am sure you will love it, it's very our type of movie.

DoctorDodge
02-21-2013, 12:32 PM
This weekend, perhaps. Or even better, tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish at least one blog post this weekend.

Mattrick
02-21-2013, 01:29 PM
JAMES YOU JUST NEED A SIMPLE SAMPLE.

Jean
02-21-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm missing. Missing.

DoctorDodge
02-21-2013, 01:40 PM
I still haven't finished digesting Berberian Sound Studio yet, and Pontypool sounds like another film that I will need to write a massive review for. When I've finished putting my thoughts of BSS into words, then I'll watch Pontypool and review.

fernandito
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Now I can breathe. Breathe? Breathe, Breathe, Breathe.

Jean
02-28-2013, 01:24 AM
To Mattrick:

The Tenant
Repulsion
Cul-de-Sac

Mattrick, I really really want you to be able to review your list of best directors

Heather19
02-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Mattrick, have you seen Citizen Kane? I'm assuming you have but if not drop everything and watch it.

I'd also recommend:
Rebel Without a Cause
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
Strangers on a Train

Also what'd you think of East of Eden?

needfulthings
02-28-2013, 09:01 PM
TWO VERSIONS U.S.A. & U.K.
http://imageshack.us/a/img838/4703/img980.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/4955/img981.jpg

Mattrick
03-01-2013, 01:57 AM
To Mattrick:

The Tenant
Repulsion
Cul-de-Sac

Mattrick, I really really want you to be able to review your list of best directors

Polanski, of course! I am looking forward to them. People have said Aronofsky's 'Pi' drew a lot from Repulsion so I've wanted to see that for a few years.

Mattrick, have you seen Citizen Kane? I'm assuming you have but if not drop everything and watch it.

I'd also recommend:
Rebel Without a Cause
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
Strangers on a Train

Also what'd you think of East of Eden?

I'll get around to Citizen Kane. I like to let some movies sit on the back burner to age like a fine wine. East of Eden was very good, well cast. Of course I was disappointed the great character of Lee wasn't in the adaptation, probably due to his importance is in the middle of the book, he could be written out without affecting it much. As good as it was, I was left disappointed in the fact the movie only adapted the last 150 pages (approx) of the 600 pages, which is all fantastic. Have you read the book? I'd have to read it again but it might be my favourite book.

Jean:
Young Adult (I think bears will enjoy this movie)
Fantastic Planet (if you haven't watched it)
13 Conversations About One Thing
The Savages (not Oliver Stone's 'Savages')
Ted (Bears need to watch a funny comedy with a talking teddy bear!)
Amour (Haneke I know you'll Amour...see what I did there?)
The Negotiator
Cube
The Arrival

Have you seen any Alexander Payne? Election, About Schmidt, Sideways and The Descendants are all great films.

Also if you haven't seen Jane Eyre with Wasikowska and Fassbender, you should watch it as well, as it's director is adapting 'IT'. I'm watching it tomorrow night, I'll let you know how it is but I know it will be great.

Do bears watch television shows? I can't imagine bears not loving the dramatic greatness of In Treatment.

I guess this list can go for anyone lol.

Heather: a few classic films if you haven't seen you should check out

All About Eve
The Apartment
Annie Hall
Some Like It Hot

Doctor Dodge:

As a fan of your nation's cinema I truly hope you have watched some Mike Leigh!

DoctorDodge
03-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Doctor Dodge:

As a fan of your nation's cinema I truly hope you have watched some Mike Leigh!

Only some, about half of Happy Go Lucky when I caught it on telly. What I saw was much better than I expected from it, I must admit. Will aim to check more of his stuff out.

Mattrick
03-01-2013, 03:27 AM
Imo he is the best working filmmaker out of England. I think 6 of his screenplays garnered oscar noms, including the most recent Another Year which is fantastic.

fernandito
03-01-2013, 08:25 AM
I keep seeing the name Jane Eyre but I still have no idea what that film is about. Had no idea The Fass starred in that too.

Heather19
03-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Saw Some Like it Hot and All About Eve. Both great movies. Never heard of The Apartment but I just added it to my queue. And Kane has aged enough, just give in and watch it :D

I also hope you haven't hyped up Jane Eyre too much in your mind. I wasn't overly impressed with it compared to the other versions. But maybe you'll have better luck with it.

I also never read East of Eden so I have nothing to compare it to, I'm just very partial to James Dean and felt he was amazing in that role. It's my favorite performance by him.

Jean
03-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Mattrick, you've just ruined my life, putting a definite end to all plans I may have had for the future! I want to watch all of those you've listed!!!

... but first... guys, don't laugh at me... I'll re-watch Pontypool once again (yes, I know I have just done it). I am beginning to be obsessed with that film, it has something that appeals to bears like few other films do

speaking of something that specially appeals to bears, I also must re-watch Quadrophenia, haven't done so in a while

(must.... NOT... re-wath... The Tenant!!!)

Odetta
03-01-2013, 10:19 AM
I would recommend to anyone on here that if you have not seen any of Christopher Guest's/Eugene Levy's films... they are a must see! They are all improvised, so that in and of itself it terribly unique!

Here's a list

Waiting For Guffman
Best in Show
A Mighty Wind
For Your Consideration

This is Spinal Tap (Christopher Guest only, Eugene Levy is not a part of this one)

Mattrick
03-01-2013, 12:58 PM
I keep seeing the name Jane Eyre but I still have no idea what that film is about. Had no idea The Fass starred in that too.

Its one of the most celebrated novels of all time, great stuff.

Heather, me and my friend are hyped for Jane Eyre since we've both recently read and loved the book, not to mention the three lead actors.

Jean, sorry for weight but I gave you a nice little variety.this time.

needfulthings
03-01-2013, 02:08 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img687/5314/img983.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img189/5978/img984c.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img831/3520/img987.jpg

needfulthings
03-01-2013, 02:28 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img692/8663/img985.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img163/3523/img986i.jpg

Jean
03-02-2013, 04:05 AM

Its one of the most celebrated novels of all time, great stuff.
Yes!

feverish, it's a book bears adore. I don't know if you will like it - really have no idea - but I've reread it hundreds of times (first read when I was around 7 years old, and have been reading it since)

Heather19
03-02-2013, 07:08 AM
I really need to read the book. I don't think I ever have. However I'm not really sure if it's something Feev would enjoy, but maybe I'm wrong.

And Mattrick, I really do hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think of it.

Mattrick
03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Jean: Another Year directed by Mike Leigh...this is about a perfect a movie as bears could ask for!

Jean
03-06-2013, 09:34 PM
downloading!

instead of putting it on my list which is longer than War and Peace, and then cry bitter tears over how I never have the time to watch anything, I've just up and started downloading and will watch tonight. It's a big breakthrough in bears' neurotic condition. Sanity may be an option, after all.

Mattrick
03-06-2013, 11:19 PM
I can't think of a better way to break a nuerotic condition!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/215423_10152629896180571_1502022653_n.jpg

fernandito
03-07-2013, 08:34 AM
Jean - you haven't watched Eternal Sunshine!?

I think you'll love it.

Jean
03-07-2013, 08:40 AM
I think the same. I watch a film a day now. I will steadily move down the list.

And, feverish, don't forget our Haneke thing. It's still on.

alkanto
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Jean - you haven't watched Eternal Sunshine!?

I think you'll love it.

I watched it once, last year...but for some reason it didn't grab me. I couldn't for the life of me tell you why, though. I think I may need to rewatch it sometime and see if I can't get a better watching experience from it.

Mattrick
03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Anything written by Charlie Kaufman is great. When his weakest film is Confessions of a Dangerous Mind which kicks that says a lot about him. However, Synecdoche New York is his best work imo.

Jean
03-07-2013, 02:28 PM
HOLY SHIT, MATTRICK!!!

have just finished Another Year. Review will be ready some time Saturday, if I can sort it out by then. It's one of the most disturbing films I've seen. Of the most beautiful, too.

: runs to see what's next on Mattrick-to-bears recommendation list :

Mattrick
03-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Its twice as good on a second watch. Love that movie.

fernandito
03-08-2013, 09:42 AM
...Synecdoche New York is his best work imo.
I keep seeing this film pop up. I wonder if it's on instant play.

Having said that : Netflix instant play recommendations - go on people, cough em up.

Heather19
03-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Being John Malkovich will always be my favorite.

I gave you one the other week Feev, and I don't think you've seen it yet ;)

pathoftheturtle
03-08-2013, 10:03 AM
I keep seeing this film pop up. I wonder if it's on instant play.I just searched, and it says that's not available but recommends Adaptation, 8 1/2, or Barton Fink... all of which I love, although they're all different. And I mean really different. If you have seen Adaptation and maybe didn't like it, don't judge Synecdoche, New York on that basis. Just be warned it is a deep film and takes some attention. Maybe you can get it on your queue. Or do you still know where to find a brick-and-mortar video store at all?

fernandito
03-08-2013, 10:56 AM

Which? I don't remember ... :(

I keep seeing this film pop up. I wonder if it's on instant play.I just searched, and it says that's not available but recommends Adaptation, 8 1/2, or Barton Fink... all of which I love, although they're all different. And I mean really different. If you have seen Adaptation and maybe didn't like it, don't judge Synecdoche, New York on that basis. Just be warned it is a deep film and takes some attention. Maybe you can get it on your queue. Or do you still know where to find a brick-and-mortar video store at all?

There are a few video stores left in the area, but I don't have a membership to any lol.

I saw Adaptation but that was years ago ... maybe I'll give it another go round.

Heather19
03-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Which? I don't remember ... :(

How could you forget Elvira....?

fernandito
03-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Ohhh that's right! I have that on dvd though :lol:

Heather19
03-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Nice! :D

I'll see what else is on there for you.

needfulthings
03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img200/3389/img016m.jpg

Heather19
03-08-2013, 11:54 AM
Feev, after a really quick glance I saw these up there

Lars and the Real Girl
Four Rooms
Insidious
Stake Land
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Session 9
Super 8
The Stranger (1946)

I'm sure once I look a bit more I'll have plenty more recommendations for you.

Mattrick
03-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Id help feev but Canadian Netflix has less and I dont have it currently. All.the same watch Synecdoche New York...i find myself watching the last 20 mins a lot.

Jean
03-09-2013, 04:28 AM
Session 9
Super 8 .bears loved both

needfulthings
03-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Super 8 (1946).bears loved both
??????

http://imageshack.us/a/img19/8813/img020xg.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img22/2425/img021h.jpg
OR IS THAT IN BEAR YEARS? LOL LOL

Jean
03-09-2013, 12:21 PM
hmmmmm

I could swear that the horror I meant was called Super 8. I was surprized to see it on Heather's list, because, although I loved it, I know that I am easy to please with some type of horrors. I have to try to remember what mine was called.

Jean
03-09-2013, 12:29 PM
got it! mine was Crazy Eights.

pathoftheturtle
03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Super 8 - 4/10 Dull and derivative. This is the commercial movie equivalent of inbreeding. It's supposed to be fun as self-parody and genre camp, but it's ultimately pretty void and anti-artistic. I'm generally disappointed in Abrams's film work so far. I'm especially concerned about Star Wars now. I was glad when Spielberg turned it down -- I'd hate to see it turn out as camp as well.

Jean
03-09-2013, 01:01 PM
OR IS THAT IN BEAR YEARS? LOL LOLYes. That's how it always is. Bears can bust their furry asses off posting what they think contains some thoughts, analyses and what not, and nobody normally gives a flying fuck. But once bears fuck off, say a typo or a sloppy copypaste, it is immediately noticed.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_hahaha.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_hahaha.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_hahaha.gif

pathoftheturtle
03-09-2013, 01:25 PM
...nobody normally gives a flying fuck. Either that or everybody just defers to those points.

pathoftheturtle
03-09-2013, 01:31 PM
On a similar note, perhaps I should go ahead and voice the opinion that

Lars and the Real Girl
Four Rooms
Session 9
The Stranger (1946)

these are all excellent recommendations!

I think I'll also like Insidious. Probably not Stake Land, but I'm not sure.

Mattrick
03-10-2013, 10:33 AM
I watched Four Rooms this past summer, I watched this movie a lot when I was younger but I found myself bored this time around, although the Tarantino story is still great.

Jean, where is your Another Year review :'(

Jean
03-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Jean, where is your Another Year review :'(half-written. I mean, now it's about six pages of helpless rage and tears, and I have to reduce it to three, or better two, pages of coherent text.

fernandito
03-11-2013, 07:20 AM
Lars and the Real Girl
Four Rooms
Insidious
Stake Land
Session 9
Super 8
The Stranger (1946)

I've seen Insidious (meh), Session 9 (loved it), Super 8 (meh), and Four Rooms (liked it).

I will look jot down the rest, thank you :)

Heather19
03-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Lars and the Real Girl
Four Rooms
Insidious
Stake Land
Session 9
Super 8
The Stranger (1946)

I've seen Insidious (meh), Session 9 (loved it), Super 8 (meh), and Four Rooms (liked it).

Start with Stake Land. It's a post apocalyptic story that just happens to revolve around vampires. But it's really light on the horror side. I know you'll love it.

Jean
08-09-2013, 01:42 AM
to Heather :rose:

Alice In Den Stadten by Wim Wenders.

Yaksha
08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Battle Royale. Great movie adapted from a great book. It's on Netflix. If you can stand it try to watch it subtitled instead of dubbed.

Heather19
08-12-2013, 06:08 AM
to Heather :rose:

Alice In Den Stadten by Wim Wenders.

Netflix doesn't seem to have it. I'll see if I can find it somewhere. Sounds good.

Jean
08-18-2013, 03:00 AM
James: if you haven't (and something's telling me you haven't) watched The Ninth Gate, do it NOW, while my review (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10975-Roman-Polanski/page9) is still fresh! It is soooo your type of film - it has this dry wit that eludes many people, but never eludes doctors!

fernandito
08-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Lars and the Real Girl
Four Rooms
Insidious
Stake Land
Session 9
Super 8
The Stranger (1946)

Start with Stake Land. It's a post apocalyptic story that just happens to revolve around vampires. But it's really light on the horror side. I know you'll love it.
My friend was just talking to me about Lars And The Real Girl the other day. That's the only one missing from this list, so I suppose I'll get on that.

Oh by the way Heather

WTF IS UP WITH THAT SEVENTH CONTINENT YO

Jean
08-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Re: spoiler in feverish's post

Hear, hear!!!

(bears are not exactly crazy about Haneke, but he definitely should be watched)

Heather19
08-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Lars and the Real Girl
Four Rooms
Insidious
Stake Land
Session 9
Super 8
The Stranger (1946)

My friend was just talking to me about Lars And The Real Girl the other day. That's the only one missing from this list, so I suppose I'll get on that.

Oh by the way Heather

WTF IS UP WITH THAT SEVENTH CONTINENT YO

You do that :)
And yes, too many films to watch. I'll try to get to it soon. Is this the super depressing film? I think that's why I've put it off for so long.

Jean
08-20-2013, 10:57 AM
Yes, it is.

fernandito
08-20-2013, 01:42 PM
The most depressing film I have ever seen lol.

Heather19
08-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Oh joy, sounds like fun :lol:

DoctorZaius
08-21-2013, 01:25 PM
Battle Royale. Great movie adapted from a great book. It's on Netflix. If you can stand it try to watch it subtitled instead of dubbed.

"Stand to watch it with subtitles" ? Is there any other way? God I loved this book, and you are correct, the adaptation is equally good. Hunger Games can kiss Battle Royale's @$$ ! If you liked The Long Walk, you gotta read/watch this too.

Jean
11-15-2013, 07:28 AM
To Heather:rose::

Bunny Lake Is Missing
El espíritu de la colmena

fernandito
11-15-2013, 08:13 AM
To Jean
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Y864M_7E3Q4/UAqOISyhnbI/AAAAAAAAAAk/KPOa_3P9aTU/s1600/The+Dark+Knight+(5).jpg

http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/2/1265/Behind-the-Scenes-with-the-Joker-the-dark-knight-2861438-800-600.jpg

Jean
11-15-2013, 08:32 AM
should I start with the 2008? or is there something before that, too?

Heather19
11-15-2013, 08:35 AM
I've been meaning to ask you how Bunny Lake was. I'll check it out.

Jean
11-15-2013, 09:08 AM
it's almost Hitchcock! a preposterous story, and totally perfect in every respect

fernandito
11-15-2013, 09:36 AM
should I start with the 2008? or is there something before that, too?

Nolan's trilogy consists of 3 films : Batman Begins (2005), The Dark Knight (2008 ), and The Dark Knight Rises (2012),

BB sets up the trilogy, but if you have a basic grasp of who Batman/Bruce Wayne are you can jump right ahead to The Dark Knight. If you're planning on watching only one out of the trilogy, I strongly recommend it being The Dark Knight since it's easily the best of the series and features one of the greatest villains modern cinema has to offer.

Jean
11-15-2013, 10:09 AM
BB sets up the trilogy, but if you have a basic grasp of who Batman/Bruce Wayne are...
No, I don't!

you can jump right ahead to The Dark Knight. If you're only planning on watching only one out of the trilogy, I strongly recommend it being The Dark Knight since it's easily the best of the series and features one of the greatest villains modern cinema has to offer.So, can I just start with TDK even if I have no clue?

pathoftheturtle
11-19-2013, 07:33 AM
easily the best of the series and features one of the greatest villains modern cinema has to offer.This is true, but Begins is a good movie & certainly good for somebody with no Batman background. Just go ahead and plan to watch two, says I.

Jean
11-19-2013, 07:35 AM
I'll try! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)

fernandito
11-19-2013, 08:13 AM
Screw it. Watch both. :lol:

Jean
11-19-2013, 08:33 AM
yes, bears have already succumbed to fate in this respect

will download and watch the whole shebang some time next weekend

fernandito
11-19-2013, 08:38 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/joker.gif

Mattrick
11-21-2013, 02:34 AM
The prisoner walking in the background of that gif is freaking distracting haha

Mattrick
11-21-2013, 02:37 AM
In terms of superhero films, I think the best superhero film of this decade (and something I think you would very much like Jean) is this:
http://dynamicsplus.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/chronicle-movie-poster1.jpg

DoctorDodge
11-21-2013, 03:13 AM
Ooh, nice one, Mattrick. I agree, out of all films involving people with superpowers, it's not only one of the best, but definitely a film that Jean has the best chance of enjoying. :)

Mattrick
11-21-2013, 04:00 AM
Chronicle is a film I think I can watch over and over again and represents one of my favourite sort of movies and that is one that mix and mashes various genres together that form a cohesive narrative, with characters we can understand and manages to make old tropes fresh again. A film like Chronicle shows that even tried and tested formulas can be improved upon and re-invented by breaking the formulaic constraints genres put on films. This is a reason I am such a big fan of the [REC] movies, even the sequels because it's like walking through familiar territory after its gotten a coat of white primer.

Jean
11-21-2013, 04:13 AM
I see

: puts another film on the ever-growing list :

fernandito
11-21-2013, 02:40 PM
How's it coming with BB/TDK jean?

Jean
11-21-2013, 11:25 PM
looking for a source now. It's difficult to find it with original soundtrack and reasonable file size

Jean
09-05-2014, 04:56 AM
Dear friends!!!

many of you know I am having big health problems now. What I can do best is reading (mainly Kindle; much worse paper; computer almost impossible), but, luckily, quite recently I've added watching films

since I can do very little but the above two activities, and there's no telling how long this state of things will go on, I am trying to catch up with all the recommendations

the problem is, it is extremely hard for me to read on the monitor, so I can't be really consistent in this quest

so please, those of you who have recommended, or want to recommend, a film that I need to watch, please do it now, there's a good chance I will watch it at the long last!

thank you!

Mattrick
09-05-2014, 06:07 PM
My old list plus amendments:

Young Adult (I think bears will enjoy this movie)
Fantastic Planet (if you haven't watched it)
13 Conversations About One Thing
The Savages (not Oliver Stone's 'Savages')
Ted (Bears need to watch a funny comedy with a talking teddy bear!)
Amour
The Arrival
Wall-E
Into The Wild
Stay
Punch Drunk Love
The American

Jean
09-07-2014, 04:45 AM
thank you!

mae
09-07-2014, 05:24 AM
There are too many to list. Check out my Top 30 lists by decade and see if anything catches your interest: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?17951-Your-Top-Films-of-All-Time

Mattrick
09-12-2014, 12:05 PM
James, I watched Withnail and I AND I EFFING HATED IT DON'T RECOMMEND ME ANYMORE EFFIN MOVIES!!!!

Just kidding. Watching it tomorrow.

Jean
09-16-2014, 12:49 PM
James, I watched Withnail and I AND I EFFING HATED IT DON'T RECOMMEND ME ANYMORE EFFIN MOVIES!!!!

Fuck you Matt, you nearly gave bears a heart attack.

DoctorDodge
09-16-2014, 01:39 PM

Fuck you Matt, you nearly gave bears a heart attack.

Yeah, I wasn't too fond of Matt's little jape, either. Still, it does remind me to keep an eye out for Another Year, at least.

Oh, and bears: I still hope you're able to find a decent enough copy of An Adventure in Space and Time online with decent enough subtitles. While made for television, it's still a magical production.

Mattrick
09-16-2014, 04:54 PM
ROPE A DOPE, all in good fun of course James.. Been busy but will be watching Withnail and I tomorrow for sure. It's on my schedule, writted down, notarised and everything. Tried to watch it a bit back but couldn't find a copy. Between you, Bears, Ebert, and 1001 movies to see before you die...it's high praise.

Yaksha
09-26-2014, 03:44 PM
Oh you know I've got some recommendations

Battle Royale (One of my favorite movies ever. Though try to watched it subtitled if you can)
Guyver Dark Hero. (Yes the movie is corny. Yes it is cheesy as all hell and the acting is hit or miss. But it's still fucking awesome. The action is superb.)
Death Note live action movies (another Japanese movie. Unlike the other one, all of these movies English dub is actually very well done. There are 3 of these movies.)

fernandito
09-29-2014, 12:38 PM
How's it coming with BB/TDK jean?

looking for a source now. It's difficult to find it with original soundtrack and reasonable file size
cough

Jean
09-29-2014, 01:12 PM
still the same

found with the original sound, but it's more than 30 GB. Even if I clear enough disk space, I can't play it

Mattrick
09-29-2014, 04:26 PM
kickass.to and find the YIFY versions. BluRay rips are usually between 700mb and a Gig. Crystal clear.

Mattrick
09-29-2014, 09:03 PM
http://www.fangoria.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/beneath-poster.jpg

This is a very general recommendation. I am not sure if bears would like this film since bears expressed not being fond of monster movies, but everyone else that likes monster movies should check this one out. DO NOT TRUST PUBLIC OPINION, as, according to the comment section on the youtube page of Beneath's trailer, it's the worst, dumbest, stupidest movie ever made. It has some similar themes of Cabin In The Worlds, it's just more subtle than the plot driven themes in that. I think I recommended it in this thread before, I don't think anyone has watched it yet. So, I'm doing it again. I recently re-watched it and it still holds up after a half dozen viewings. It's very smart. Beautifully photographed. Great use of long shots (gimme, gimme, gimmy long shots, I love them and the real great ones I could talk endlessly about). Good use of character (not to be confused with good characters, they're not bad, it's just the movie's central theme is the tearing down of social identities). It's funny. It's disturbing. It's nice too look at. It's got a giant maneating catfish that looks awesomely hilarious and kind of scary at the same time. It's got Mark Margolis (this guy, seemingly nowadays known as 'that guy that was in Breaking Bad) http://s3.amazonaws.com/img.goldderby.com/ck/images/Margolis.jpg

mae
09-30-2014, 05:24 AM
Having recently watched Coherence, I can very much recommend Triangle and Timecrimes for those that enjoyed that. Not exactly the same but similar. Very good stuff! Wish there were more movies like that. Like this one, maybe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcQacCfi_pw

Heather19
09-30-2014, 06:07 AM
Whenever you mentioned Beneath Matt, I always thought you were talking about another film. I just looked for it and realized it's not even the same name, it's called Below :lol: It was ok but nothing spectacular, so I was always wondering why you were raving about it. I just added to my list so I'll watch it soon.

Also, I just looked up Coherence after many of you have been saying great things about it. Looks really good, but I don't know when I'll get to see it. Hopefully they'll release it on dvd soon.

Jean
09-30-2014, 10:48 AM
a question, rather urgent:

I have been trying to watch Brazilia, got about 40 minutes in, very bored and annoyed; so, the question: will it be like this till the end, or is anything going to change radically? If the former, I'll just not force myself to go on.

fernandito
09-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Brazilia?...

Do you mean Brazil by Gilliam?

I really hope you don't.

Jean
09-30-2014, 12:29 PM
Brazil, sorry

see, I still can't think or type properly so this may account for my inability to watch it

yes, I mean Brazil by Guilliam, and I am extremely sorry I didn't find it watchable. I think maybe I should wait till I am fully restored to normal (if it is ever supposed to happen) and then try again

Heather19
09-30-2014, 12:55 PM
I didn't care for Brazil at all :unsure:

By any chance Jean, have you seen Tideland?

fernandito
09-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Brazil, sorry

see, I still can't think or type properly so this may account for my inability to watch it

yes, I mean Brazil by Guilliam, and I am extremely sorry I didn't find it watchable. I think maybe I should wait till I am fully restored to normal (if it is ever supposed to happen) and then try again

I can honestly say I'm shocked you didn't like Brazil. I thought for sure that film would be right up your alley. It's been compared in relevance and importance to other political satires like Dr. Strangelove ... (although I'm aware that that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good film)

Yeah, that might be a film to revisit later. Then again, I'm a sucker for anything dystopian. Films like that are always dark mirrors reflecting the absurdities that can come to pass. In the case of this particular film, I've always admired Gilliam's inventiveness when choosing the particulars; the steampunk aesthetic, the extremely chaotic and impersonal layout of the Ministry. It's all in the details.

Jean
10-01-2014, 09:31 AM

bears adore Tideland!! Not as much as Twelve Monkeys, but still

Brazil, sorry

I can honestly say I'm shocked you didn't like Brazil. I thought for sure that film would be right up your alley. It's been compared in relevance and importance to other political satires like Dr. Strangelove ... (although I'm aware that that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good film)

Yeah, that might be a film to revisit later. Then again, I'm a sucker for anything dystopian. Films like that are always dark mirrors reflecting the absurdities that can come to pass. In the case of this particular film, I've always admired Gilliam's inventiveness when choosing the particulars; the steampunk aesthetic, the extremely chaotic and impersonal layout of the Ministry. It's all in the details.
I see what you mean. I love everything you mentioned (steampunk in particular), but I couldn't help feeling that someone was trying to feed me a dinner consisting entirely of mustard, pepper, and wasabi.
Maybe I am just not up to it yet. I'll totally try later.

mae
10-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Don't forget to try Coherence, Triangle, and Timecrimes, Jean!

fernandito
10-01-2014, 10:56 AM
I second Timecrimes. Pretty sure Heather will third it.

Jean
10-01-2014, 11:20 AM
bears saw Triangle, it was ok. Rather liked the last ten minutes, but not the rest of it.

Never heard of Coherence.

Am afraid to watch Timecrimes because read that it was hard to follow. For me anything that isn't chewed to the point of being perfectly articulated (something only really good directors can achieve if the material isn't totally straightforward) is hard to follow in movies, so every time I hear the word Timecrimes I am intimidated

fernandito
10-01-2014, 11:23 AM
Whaaaaa? Hard to follow? Maybe if you're 15 lol.

It's a fairly straight forward (no pun intended) time travel film. I didn't have any "how did" questions at the end, if that's what you mean. The best part is the... moral aspect, you could say. You should have no trouble following it.

Mattrick
10-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm pretty sure bears have seen Triangle, think we talked about it after I watched it. I've seen it three or four times now, very skillfully made. Horror really has limitless possibilities in terms of storytelling. There is no story they can't tell. Science fiction is close, but is still limited a lot of times on the limits of science, or soon to be discovered science...it can tread on lines of fantasty and reality but only so much as science fictions goal is often to be somewhat possible. The only limit to horror is how horrific, brutal and dark is too horrific, brutal and dark lol

pathoftheturtle
10-01-2014, 12:19 PM
... I couldn't help feeling that someone was trying to feed me a dinner consisting entirely of mustard, pepper, and wasabi. ...

Well, yeah, insofar as it spotlights the sense of living in a world where that is standard practice. Unless you're talking about something else. Did you make it past the restaurant scene?

And you have also seen Time Bandits, Munchaussen, and The Fisher King already, am I right?

Heather19
10-01-2014, 01:03 PM

bears adore Tideland!! Not as much as Twelve Monkeys, but still

Excellent, I knew it'd be a film you'd love.

I second Timecrimes. Pretty sure Heather will third it.

Definitely! Love that film.

bears saw Triangle, it was ok. Rather liked the last ten minutes, but not the rest of it.

Never heard of Coherence.

Am afraid to watch Timecrimes because read that it was hard to follow. For me anything that isn't chewed to the point of being perfectly articulated (something only really good directors can achieve if the material isn't totally straightforward) is hard to follow in movies, so every time I hear the word Timecrimes I am intimidated

I agree with Feev, Timecrimes is pretty straightforward. Not sure where you heard otherwise, but I don't think you'll have any problem following it. And I'm pretty positive it's a film you'll love.

I know a bunch of us have talked about The Fall before, but can't remember if you've seen that one or not? If not you must watch it. And I don't know if you're looking for any tv series to watch but I would highly recommend Dead Like Me, and Pushing Daisies :)

fernandito
10-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Horror really has limitless possibilities in terms of storytelling. There is no story they can't tell. Science fiction is close, but is still limited a lot of times on the limits of science, or soon to be discovered science...it can tread on lines of fantasty and reality but only so much as science fictions goal is often to be somewhat possible. The only limit to horror is how horrific, brutal and dark is too horrific, brutal and dark lol

Hmmm... agree and disagree.

I agree that Horror has limitless possibilities, but in the context of cinema it tends to be very formulaic. I mean, pretty much all slasher films are interchangeable; they get all funneled down the same corridor and brush against the same tropes. It's all contingent on what kind of monster you're presenting.

Whereas in scifi films explores a wider array of the components that fall under it. Time travel, space travel, alternate realities, the science of dreams, questioning our reality, advancement of technology, etc etc.,

Mattrick
10-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Hmmm... agree and disagree.

I agree that Horror has limitless possibilities, but in the context of cinema it tends to be very formulaic. I mean, pretty much all slasher films are interchangeable; they get all funneled down the same corridor and brush against the same tropes. It's all contingent on what kind of monster you're presenting.

Whereas in scifi films explores a wider array of the components that fall under it. Time travel, space travel, alternate realities, the science of dreams, questioning our reality, advancement of technology, etc etc.,

Yes, but sci-fi is stuck with the explaination aspect of sci-fi. There is always something to explain and often the explaination is an integral portion of the film/book. Horror requires no explaination and it's only limit is imagination. There is no explaination needed for why a vampire exists, it existing is enough. That's the main difference between the two in terms of possibilities. Science fiction almost always requires some reasoning for what is happening, horror does not. Horror doesn't get pigeonholed with logic, which makes it far more flexible imo. Science fiction is easily number two in terms of flexibility, you can do whatever you want so long as it makes some sense.

mae
10-01-2014, 08:08 PM
I didn't see Triangle as a horror film, I thought it was sci-fi. And Jean, a few weeks back I posted the trailer for Coherence in the trailers thread, check it out. Great mindfuck!

Mattrick
10-01-2014, 09:57 PM
I didn't see Triangle as a horror film, I thought it was sci-fi. And Jean, a few weeks back I posted the trailer for Coherence in the trailers thread, check it out. Great mindfuck!

I didn't see the sci-fi elements. I saw hell lol

fernandito
10-02-2014, 08:01 AM
Yes, but sci-fi is stuck with the explaination aspect of sci-fi. There is always something to explain and often the explaination is an integral portion of the film/book.
A certain amount of exposition is required for any genre. Take something like Planet of the Apes. All that is required to know is that the experiments resulted in them attaining increased intelligence.

Horror requires no explanation and it's only limit is imagination. There is no explaination needed for why a vampire exists, it existing is enough.
I'm trying to think of a monster movie where there was no explanation of where it came from or how it originated. I can't think of one. Refresh my memory... Like I said, all genres contain exposition.

That's the main difference between the two in terms of possibilities. Science fiction almost always requires some reasoning for what is happening, horror does not. Horror doesn't get pigeonholed with logic, which makes it far more flexible imo. Science fiction is easily number two in terms of flexibility, you can do whatever you want so long as it makes some sense.
Again, we're debating this strictly in the cinematic sense. Horror might be more flexible as a story telling platform or w/e but in films it almost always follows a rigid format. When the endgame of all horror films are to vanquish a hostile, there is an overlapping of tropes and ideas and resolutions etc., As opposed to something like sci fi where you can have heavy actioners like T2, speculative sci fi like 2001 A Space Odyssey, existential stories like Eternal Sunshine, and everything in between.