PDA

View Full Version : Cormac McCarthy General Discussion

Steve
05-08-2007, 06:20 AM
As some may be aware, my favorite author behind Steve King is the great Cormac McCarthy. To date, Mr. McCarthy has published nine novels. He has lived in relative obscurity until the publication of his most recent novel, The Road, which garnered the Pulitzer Prize. I've been a McCarthy fan since the Border Trilogy, and I want to hear what you think of this excellent author.

Matt
05-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Wow--I have never heard of him.

but the endorsement makes me want to pick him up.

What is The Road about?

Hannah
05-08-2007, 08:56 AM
I've yet to read The Road, but I've heard some really awesome things about it. I'm still waiting for my sister to loan me her copy. <_<

I have read Child of God, which I found more than a little disturbing, but I was unable to put it down.

Erin
05-08-2007, 09:34 AM
I just recently read The Road and I absolutely loved it.

Steve
05-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Wow--I have never heard of him.

but the endorsement makes me want to pick him up.

What is The Road about?

The Road is a searing tale about a man and a boy wandering the planet after an apocalyptic cataclysm. It rivals The Stand as the best post-apocalyptic novel ever.

I read Child of God , and I agree: disturbing yet enthralling. But the ones closest to my heart (aside from The Road ) is Blood Meridian.

Matt
05-08-2007, 10:17 AM
That sounds amazing.

Just what I like to read.

Steve
05-08-2007, 11:09 AM
I find it funny you posted at 1:17, a time / number that is to McCarthy what 19 is to King.

Erin
05-08-2007, 03:53 PM
I really can't wait to read the rest of his stuff. Which ones do you suggest I read first Steve?

Steve
05-08-2007, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't dive into "Blood Meridian" yet if I were you, even though it's a great book. Start with "All the Pretty Horses," then "The Crossing," then "Cities on the Plain." That's the Border Trilogy.

ManOfWesternesse
05-11-2007, 06:23 AM
I wouldn't dive into "Blood Meridian" yet if I were you, even though it's a great book. Start with "All the Pretty Horses," then "The Crossing," then "Cities on the Plain." That's the Border Trilogy.

Those 3 I've read , and enjoyed a lot (as you know Steve).
After I finish my LotR re-read I'll see if I can pick up another McCarthy

ManOfWesternesse
05-14-2007, 05:59 AM
Bought a copy of The Road at the weekend.
Still on my :LotR re-read though, so it'll have to wait a bit.

sarah
05-14-2007, 07:09 AM
I just bought the road this past weekend. I haven't started it yet but I will and this week, hopefully.

sarah
05-14-2007, 07:10 AM

Did all the pretty horses get made into a movie a few years back with Matt Damon?

Steve
05-14-2007, 07:42 PM
Yes, it was. It was a good movie but a lot of McCarthyites criticized it for being edited from its original running length of 4 hours to half that. We're still hoping for an extended edition on DVD.

Oh well, at least No Country for Old Men looks promising, considering it's probably my least favorite of McCarthy's novels. It's still kickass, though.

Darkthoughts
05-21-2007, 01:19 AM
All The Pretty Horses is the only book of his I read. I struggled with it at first as I just couldn't get into his style, but I remember by the end of the book really wanting to read the next two...I didn't actually get round to it though...I'll have to reread Horses first as it was a while ago.

oy-the-brave
05-21-2007, 01:21 AM
Read "The Road" yesterday thanks for the heads up on it, great book.

ManOfWesternesse
05-24-2007, 05:29 AM
I finished The Road yesterday.

This was one of the bleakest, most haunting, most moving books I've ever read. Beautiful read - I'd recommend it to one and all. Thanks for the heads-up on it Steve.

She-Oy
05-24-2007, 05:55 AM
A good friend of mine recommended Blood Meridian to me a while back. I went to the store to purchase it and they were sold out, so I picked up Child of God instead.
The word "disturbing" doesn't quite cut it, while that it was, it was so much more too. I was riveted, I couldn't quit reading it...perhaps it was because I have BEEN to that part of Tennessee, and I could see, even as far fetched and twisted characters were in that book, they could be REAL.

Still haven't read Blood Meridian yet, and plan on picking up The Road this weekend.

kithereal
05-25-2007, 12:48 PM
terrifying.... he said so much with very little {words } , not a wasted word on the page...
does that make sense?
KIT

Steve
05-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Just recently finished McCarthy's "The Gardener's Son," a screenplay in book format. Its hard to come by but worth the read.

And for all youse Cormac fans, the man himself will give HIS FIRST TELEVISION INTERVIEW EVER on... Oprah, June 5.

ManOfWesternesse
05-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Just finished his 'No Country for Old Men' - excellent book too.

Steve
07-02-2007, 10:40 PM
And the film version is getting rave critical reviews for both its direction and its acting. Particular Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh.

I finished reading Suttree, which is regarded as McCarthy's magnum opus. It's a hell of a read, I'll say.

CyberGhostface
03-08-2008, 01:52 PM
I saw the movie yesterday, and thought it was good. I'm thinking about reading the book when my pile lessens. Has anyone else read it?

ManOfWesternesse
03-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Yes. Magnificent read - it really was! Could hardly put it down.

I have'nt seen the movie yet.

jayson
03-08-2008, 02:34 PM
reading it now, haven't seen film yet. it's very good storywise, though his writing style is not quite what i am looking for [for example, he seems not to know quotation marks exist]. the story is compelling enough though for me to see it out to its conclusion.

CyberGhostface
03-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I've read The Road (also by Cormac McCarthy) and the lack of quotation marks put me off a bit. Wasn't necessarily bad, but you had to pay attention so you didn't miss someone speak.

steph
03-13-2008, 03:57 PM
So, should I try No Country again?
I read about 30 pages last month and could not get into it.
The lack of quotation marks really stalled me.
But, to be fair to the book, I was incredibly sick and did not need to be reading at all much less something that I needed to concentrate on.

Or should I try The Road instead? I have heard good things about it on a couple of different boards

ManOfWesternesse
03-14-2008, 06:20 AM
So, should I try No Country again?
I read about 30 pages last month and could not get into it.
The lack of quotation marks really stalled me.
But, to be fair to the book, I was incredibly sick and did not need to be reading at all much less something that I needed to concentrate on.

Or should I try The Road instead? I have heard good things about it on a couple of different boards

They're both great reads.
If I could only read one, it would have to be The Road. Then I'd cheat and read No Country as well:lol:

Erin
03-18-2008, 08:43 PM
The Road was great! I loved it. And I didn't notice the lack of quotation marks. When I read on here the fact that it was bothering people, I had to go back and look to see they were missing. I was all...huh..what do you know. :lol:

Unfound One
03-18-2008, 11:48 PM
When I read The Road it felt like deja vu of Wizard and Glass when the ka-tet makes their way down I-70 and sees the devastation caused by Captain Trips.
Crazy. But I really liked the book a lot.
I sped through it just like I do Sai King's books.

educatedlady
03-19-2008, 03:21 AM
Of the three McCarthy novels I have read I would say I like The Road the most. However, I can't really stand to read his books. His lack of proper quotations/chapters/etc. in his books bothers me, as it does many others. It comes across as very pretentious and I dislike pretentious authors (Charles Frazier for example). I will say that my dislike may come from having to analyze the hell out of two of the three McCarthy novels I've read. The Road is the only one I would recommend to people, if only for the dead baby on a stick.

RUBE
03-20-2008, 08:04 PM
I just finished The Road and I would highly recommend it (but not for the baby on a stick.)

Hannah
03-20-2008, 08:43 PM
oh god. that part disturbed me horribly. i made the horrible mistake of reading the road on a flight to and fro SoCal a few days ago. When I got to that part I felt like someone punched me in the gut, and I had to fight back some major tears. Not easy for me, but it was made easier by the fact that I was on a plane surrounded by people.

educatedlady
03-21-2008, 07:37 AM
I just finished The Road and I would highly recommend it (but not for the baby on a stick.)

I find it strange that this was not the first time he has put a baby on a stick. Disturbing.

Patrick
03-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I read both the THE ROAD and NO COUNTRY recently. Loved them both, especially NO COUNTRY.

What do you all recommend of his books that I read next?

Thanks.

jemaher
04-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Finished the road...Spooky. Not as rich as the Stand and a whole lot less upbeat, but the starkness of the prose matched the mood of the book. Overall very good read.

Patrick
04-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Finished the road...Spooky. Not as rich as the Stand and a whole lot less upbeat, but the starkness of the prose matched the mood of the book. Overall very good read.
I totally agree. It really works for the story.

Hannah
04-14-2008, 06:57 AM
I finally saw No Country For Old Men the other day. Loved it. The movie actually really fit with Cormac unforgiving almost indifferent writing style. The thing that caught me the most about it was the complete and utter lack of music in the film. No soundtrack whatsoever. The credits: dead silence. I wish I could have been in the theater for that.

Seymour_Glass
04-25-2008, 06:31 PM
The Road made me weep in the middle of first period. I had to explain to people afterwards. It's so raw, it doesn't pull any punches, but it's still beautiful and poetic.

No Country was just awesome.

Mark
04-26-2008, 04:27 AM
Is this the same guy that wrote "Swan Song" about nuclear war or something?

Steve
04-26-2008, 09:45 AM
No, that's McCammon. McCarthy's an author of mostly Southern Gothic and Westerns. Included are:

The Orchard Keeper
Outer Dark
Child of God
Suttree
Blood Meridian (the greatest novel ever written)
All the Pretty Horses
The Crossing
Cities of the Plain
No Country for Old Men (which the Coens adapted to an award-winning movie)
The Road

Also included are The Gardener's Son (a screenplay), and two plays. I own them all, as McCarthy is my favorite author (tied with King).

ManOfWesternesse
04-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I must get my hands on Blood Meridian then (Steve's recommended it before). Only ones ever in the local bookshops here are The Road + The Border Trilogy.
Must have a browse online one a these days.

Steve
04-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Brian, you really need to hit up Blood Meridian, and soon. I remember you enjoyed the Border Trilogy (I've truly gotten to love Cities of the Plain in the last re-read I've done--but it still doesn't stack up to The Crossing).

I rank his books:

1.) Blood Meridian
2.) The Crossing
3.) Suttree
4.) Outer Dark
5.) Child of God
6.) The Road
7.) Cities of the Plain
8.) No Country for Old Men
9.) All the Pretty Horses
10.) The Orchard Keeper

ManOfWesternesse
04-26-2008, 01:09 PM
The Road is that far down your list?
Then I reckon those above it ought to be good!
The Road blew me away - bloody great book.

blackrose22
04-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Must check him out as I'd love to read another book in the vain of The Stand. Didn't realize he wrote the book No Country For Old Men. Haven't seen the film yet but must check it out too.

ManOfWesternesse
04-26-2008, 02:20 PM
That book is a hell of a good read Colm.
I ain't seen the film yet either - but I'd say read it first if you can.

Patrick
04-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I read both the THE ROAD and NO COUNTRY recently. Loved them both, especially NO COUNTRY.

What do you all recommend of his books that I read next?

Thanks.
I'm now almost half way through ALL THE PRETTY HORSES.

As I said in the Currently Reading thread, McCarthy rocks. :thumbsup:

She-Oy
04-30-2008, 10:15 PM
The Road convinced me to not stock up for any kind of apocolypse...LOL...if that's how it's going to be (and it seemed rather accurate), I don't wanna survive it.

sarajean
05-03-2009, 09:19 PM
***bumping***

maybe ryan will come talk about the class he just took.

fernandito
05-05-2009, 08:45 AM
I read The Road (first McCarthy book), and I absolutely loved it. Can't wait for the movie.

I'm planning on reading Blood Meridian next.

obscurejude
05-05-2009, 12:11 PM
I loved Blood Meridian Feev. Probably his darkest though. It disturbed me on all sorts of levels.

By the way, there's talk that Daniel Day Louis will be playing the main antagonist in the movie. ;)

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

mae
11-16-2009, 07:21 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704576204574529703577274572.html

WSJ: Does this issue of length apply to books, too? Is a 1,000-page book somehow too much?

CM: For modern readers, yeah. People apparently only read mystery stories of any length. With mysteries, the longer the better and people will read any damn thing. But the indulgent, 800-page books that were written a hundred years ago are just not going to be written anymore and people need to get used to that. If you think you're going to write something like "The Brothers Karamazov" or "Moby-Dick," go ahead. Nobody will read it. I don't care how good it is, or how smart the readers are. Their intentions, their brains are different.

ManOfWesternesse
11-16-2009, 07:31 AM
hmmmm...
this humble reader loves a good long read!

Brice
11-16-2009, 07:48 AM
I think the guy is greatly mistaken.

Míchéal
11-16-2009, 08:52 AM

Agreed.

gsvec
11-16-2009, 09:41 AM
I'm in with the others here. Comments like this irritate me - give readers a little credit, would ya? Maybe there are a lot of people who wouldn't even consider a 1,000 page novel, but to flat say "Nobody will read it." is pure ignorance. Perhaps McCarthy was speaking of his own readers? :unsure:

mae
11-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Well I'm a fan of McCarthy. His novels are all short-ish, around 300 pages. But this does sound like a really nearsighted comment. It's unfortunate that it's coming from him.

fernandito
11-16-2009, 10:17 AM
You summed up my feelings perfectly, Pablo.

ChristineB
11-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Obviously this guy didn't get the idea while in college and doing multiple guess tests that any absolute statement is a bad idea. I mean really, who is he to say "noone will read" any type book? Sounds like he was not thinking when he made these statements.

I love the long novel, and ofcourse this was bad timing for him to say this since SK just came out with a very long one, was this statement in conjunction with the release?

Jean
11-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Obviously this guy didn't get the idea while in college and doing multiple guess tests that any absolute statement is a bad idea.
Hear, hear.
Especially an absolute statement that doesn't make sense, unless it means "I know to myself that I never can write The Karamazov Brothers, but to you I'll pretend I don't want to, with the brains of the readers being what they are."

ChristineB
11-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Obviously this guy didn't get the idea while in college and doing multiple guess tests that any absolute statement is a bad idea.
Hear, hear.
Especially an absolute statement that doesn't make sense, unless it means "I know to myself that I never can write The Karamazov Brothers, but to you I'll pretend I don't want to, with the brains of the readers being what they are."

LOL

flaggwalkstheline
11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Mcarthy is an excellant writer but it's a shame he has such little faith in his audience

If he wrote something big then I'd certainly read it!

Brainslinger
11-16-2009, 02:37 PM
I think he has a point in that a lot of young (and not so young) people nowadays just aren't into reading longer books, or books in general for that matter.

But as others have said, he is wrong to make such an absolute statement. We might be a minority*, but we are a LARGE minority.

It's probably just an exaggeration though.

*And I'm not convinced that's true. I've known quite a few people who read long books.

Wuducynn
11-16-2009, 04:45 PM
I think the guy is greatly mistaken. <---------- What Brice said.

John Blaze
11-16-2009, 07:20 PM
what Brice and Jean and everyone else said. I've only read No Country for Old Men, and found it to be entertaining, but over the top gory for no real reason. However, I will eventually read all of his books.

Has anyone seen his interview with Oprah? It's on youtube. I think he made a couple of stupid remarks in that interview as well.

John_and_Yoko
11-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Sounds to me like someone's jealous.... :evil:

ManOfWesternesse
11-17-2009, 08:16 AM

What..... JB wanted to be on Oprah too?? :lol: *runs*

John_and_Yoko
11-17-2009, 09:19 AM

I meant Cormac McCarthy. Sounds like he's jealous because he can't write something that long....

ChristineB
11-17-2009, 09:34 AM

I meant Cormac McCarthy. Sounds like he's jealous because he can't write something that long....

Funny John, I was thinking this same thing last night.

John Blaze
11-18-2009, 12:20 AM

:O I'll catch you one of these days, you wascally wabbit! :lol:

and I'd love to be on Oprah, if only to denounce her Non-Religion as a crazy conspiracy to take over TV.

Randall Flagg
11-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Going to move this to Dutch Hill.:thumbsup:

Jean
11-18-2009, 09:29 AM
this thread will shortly be merged with that thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=136)

ErinPatricia
11-18-2009, 09:36 AM

This.

He basically called people stupid.

I've only read The Road and No Country for Old Men, but his lack of quotation marks disgruntled me.

Jean
11-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I've only read The Road and No Country for Old Men, but his lack of quotation marks disgruntled me.
oh, don't even get bears or daghains started... it was so annoying...

By the way, Dmitry Bykov - my favorite author of those currently writing in Russian - comes up with another 1,500-page-long novel every two years or so... and they are not mysteries... and I'm not even mentioning I've read every one of them at least three times (because bears may be weird), but only saying that his popularity is steadily growing with people, too, and this in our difficult times...

Brice
11-18-2009, 10:34 AM
It would seem the sort of people who feel a thousand page novel is too long are the sort who don't use punctuation properly. I've not read any of his books and his ignorant statement kind of makes me not want to. I generally don't dismiss writers without reading them, but one thing I am certain of is he sure as hell couldn't write The Karamazov Brothers. Perhaps if he tries really hard he can write One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, but even there I have my doubts.

Jean
11-18-2009, 10:42 AM
It would seem the sort of people who feel a thousand page novel is too long are the sort who don't use punctuation properly.
Such things definitely are connected.

Both are signs of the world moving on.

mae
11-18-2009, 11:05 AM
Despite the duh-comment, Cormac is a great writer. I don't know what he's like personally. But he does have a 1,000-page-plus book to his credit. The Everyman's Library edition of The Border Trilogy (an omnibus collection of three novels) is 1040 pages.

CyberGhostface
11-18-2009, 11:38 AM
But he does have a 1,000-page-plus book to his credit. The Everyman's Library edition of The Border Trilogy (an omnibus collection of three novels) is 1040 pages.

It's not as if he's written a 1,000 page book by itself but rather three seperate novels that when combined amount to 1,000 pages.

But yeah, his comment is a bit silly. As long as the author is good enough people will read it.

Although I will admit if your name isn't J. K. Rowling or Stephen King, it might be harder to sell such a huge book to the publishers.

flaggwalkstheline
11-18-2009, 12:24 PM
But he does have a 1,000-page-plus book to his credit. The Everyman's Library edition of The Border Trilogy (an omnibus collection of three novels) is 1040 pages.

It's not as if he's written a 1,000 page book by itself but rather three seperate novels that when combined amount to 1,000 pages.

But yeah, his comment is a bit silly. As long as the author is good enough people will read it.

Although I will admit if your name isn't J. K. Rowling or Stephen King, it might be harder to sell such a huge book to the publishers.

or promoted by oprah the way cormac was:beat:

just sayin...

Brice
11-18-2009, 12:26 PM
I think we should all get together and throw all our thousand plus page books at Cormac. :grouphug:

Edit: I have MANY. :D I'll be the one in the front row shouting USE PUNCTUATION BITCH to the beat of each book hitting him. :evil:

John Blaze
11-18-2009, 12:34 PM
and I won't say hate, because I have read one or two, but I dislike mysteries. They're just a notch up from romance novels.

Brice
11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
Hmmm.... I like real gothics which when properly done are often both mysteries and romances.

John Blaze
11-18-2009, 12:38 PM
I think we should all get together and throw all our thousand plus page books at Cormac. :grouphug:

Edit: I have MANY. :D I'll be the one in the front row shouting USE PUNCTUATION BITCH to the beat of each book hitting him. :evil:
:lol: :rofl:

damn dude, I literally laughed out loud on that one. I've got many as well, let's go find the fucker. While we're at it, I'll throw a thesaurus and a copy of my Redbook Grammar Study. It's about 3 pounds.

mae
11-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah, what's up with him and punctuation. Is there an interview where he expounds on that perhaps?

ChristineB
11-18-2009, 01:33 PM

:rofl: Great idea.

Brice
11-18-2009, 01:39 PM

:lol: :rofl:

damn dude, I literally laughed out loud on that one. I've got many as well, let's go find the fucker. While we're at it, I'll throw a thesaurus and a copy of my Redbook Grammar Study. It's about 3 pounds.

I have two complete encyclopedias including Britannica, Every version of the bible, and more novels then I can list that are 1,000+ pages... In short I have a library that will make our dear punctuation deficient friend VERY unhappy.

:rofl: Great idea.

:)

johnsmith87
11-18-2009, 04:24 PM
I have a lot of respect for Cormac, but I disagree with him here. Mainly because it doesn't matter how long a book is, if it's good, I'll read it. If it isn't, I won't. Not much more too it than that.

As for why he doesn't use traditional punctuation, I know he's addressed it on a few occasions but I can't really remember his exact reasoning. Something about how commas, quotation marks, etc. distract from the words and are unnecessary. It's definitely a unique way of looking at things. McCarthy has proved that he knows what he's doing, so it's really not that big of a deal, for me at least.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-18-2009, 06:54 PM
oh, don't even get bears or daghains started... it was so annoying...

By the way, Dmitry Bykov - my favorite author of those currently writing in Russian - comes up with another 1,500-page-long novel every two years or so... and they are not mysteries... and I'm not even mentioning I've read every one of them at least three times (because bears may be weird), but only saying that his popularity is steadily growing with people, too, and this in our difficult times...

I am just finishing The Road, and the lack of quotation marked bothers me as well. And, its the only book that I have EVER read that seemed to have this glaring omission. (other McCarthy books excluded) Also, there is an overabundance of sentence fragments. I am all about poetic license, but sheesh, some of the stuff is downright unreadable.

Edit: And, I am pretty sure he made up a good deal of the vocabulary.

Patrick
11-21-2009, 04:52 PM
Loved:
THE ROAD
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
ALL THE PRETTY HORSES

First, I take his statement to be a generalization, not meaning the "nobody" as literal.

Second, this is a fan website dedicated to a writer of some long books, and the site is specifically dedicated to a series of seven novels that tell one long story. We're not a representative sample of readers from the general populace. Therefore I do not believe that we, in and of ourselves, disprove his statement.

Steve
11-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I'll play the Devil's Advocate for McCarthy and say that I can understand what he's trying to say. Modern readers have evolved (or devolved) in the last century, and the onset of Faulkner and Hemingway paved the way for more mainstream authors (like Stephen King). Most writers nowadays don't employ the flowery, almost turgid prose of, say, Nathaniel Hawthorne... and if they do, they don't write a 1000-page work in it. McCarthy's right, at least in the fact that people's patience has changed radically when it comes to literature.

jack12k6
11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
The only book I read of Cormac's was The Road and I was disapointed by his writing style. However, he is probably right as it relates to sales of long novels. As far as the punctuation issue, I'm currently reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margret Atwood, and its told from a narrator's standpoint and no quotes are used.

Ruthful
11-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I'm in with the others here. Comments like this irritate me - give readers a little credit, would ya? Maybe there are a lot of people who wouldn't even consider a 1,000 page novel, but to flat say "Nobody will read it." is pure ignorance. Perhaps McCarthy was speaking of his own readers? :unsure:

I don't think he actually means no one. He's generalizing about the readers of mass-market and trade paperback fiction, i.e. most of the literate public, and to a large extent, I agree. This is the same class of people-albeit more affluent-that novelists like Dickens & Co. were writing for in their day, but the culture they inhabited has been completely eradicated.

I don't know if you've read Neil Postman's Amusing Ourselves to Death, but it essentially states that the linear, rational society we once had has been completely obliterated in the post-industrial age. Communication is no longer dependent upon the construction of linear, rational, persuasive arguments, but by the conveyance of a series of episodic, dramatic images and sounds. It was written a decade before the Internet Age so I'd imagine his conclusions were only reinforced by subsequent events.

I explained the plot of The Dark Tower to a friend of mine online a while back, and after a while she discovered that it was over 2,500 pages-long. If her reaction can be distilled into a few snippets of Internet jargon it would be, "OMG, WTF??!"

Patrick
11-23-2009, 11:28 PM
.... Communication is no longer dependent upon the construction of linear, rational, persuasive arguments, but by the conveyance of a series of episodic, dramatic images and sounds...
I figured that one out when I got married.

Brice
11-24-2009, 04:05 AM
Patrick: :rofl:

Jean
11-24-2009, 04:19 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_hahaha.gif

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-24-2009, 05:40 PM
:wtf:

RichardX
03-09-2022, 07:18 AM
Two new books coming this Fall. Wow.

Lookwhoitis
03-09-2022, 08:22 AM
all those people in 2009 who wanted to throw 1000 page books at Cormac McCarthy?

Just looking at his picture on a dustjacket makes me think he could whip all of their asses!

RichardX
03-09-2022, 11:50 AM
Not to judge a book by its cover, but I really don't care for the version being shown by B&N which I assume is the final version. Seems more appropriate for a Murakami-type novel. The plot doesn't sound all that intriguing, but I guess we will see. Hope springs eternal.

Kraken
03-11-2022, 12:46 PM
I’m looking forward to these books it’s been a long time coming.
Though I’m having some trouble finding a site to pre order the US editions.
My usual is book depository but they don’t seem to be listed. Maybe I’m too impatient.
If anyone knows of a site who can deliver to the UK with adequate packaging I’d appreciate it.

Joe315
03-11-2022, 01:56 PM
I’m looking forward to these books it’s been a long time coming.
Though I’m having some trouble finding a site to pre order the US editions.
My usual is book depository but they don’t seem to be listed. Maybe I’m too impatient.
If anyone knows of a site who can deliver to the UK with adequate packaging I’d appreciate it.

I’m sure someone here would help you out although shipping cost would probably be higher.

Kraken
03-13-2022, 12:31 PM
Yes I imagine shipping costs would be pretty high. I’ll wait a bit and hope book depository lists the US edition soon.
Thanks

Joe315
03-13-2022, 12:44 PM
I’ll help out if you go that direction. I have boxes and bubble wrap so the books will make it safe (outside of the post office messing with it).

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-13-2022, 12:44 PM
What book are you guys talking about here?
Do you have a link?

Joe315
03-13-2022, 12:46 PM
What book are you guys talking about here?
Do you have a link?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/08/books/cormac-mccarthy-new-novels.html

Kraken
03-13-2022, 12:54 PM
I’ll help out if you go that direction. I have boxes and bubble wrap so the books will make it safe (outside of the post office messing with it).

Thanks very much very kind of you

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-13-2022, 01:01 PM
Okay, I see the books, 1st I heard of them, any limited editions announced? I hope not!
The boxed set seems nice, $41 pre-order from Amazon.

Kraken
03-14-2022, 09:34 AM
Okay, I see the books, 1st I heard of them, any limited editions announced? I hope not!
The boxed set seems nice, $41 pre-order from Amazon.

I would love someone to do a limited edition but McCarthy is not a fan of signing anything.
However saying that there are a couple of limited editions of his books and some publishers signed editions.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-14-2022, 10:07 AM
I ordered the UK paperback editions from The Book Depository, just because.
I had to hunt for THE PASSENGER, which is listed as an unabridged edition, with no mention of whether it's a HC or PB, but it was the same price as the paperback of the other book, so I guess it's a paperback. Very mysterious!

Kraken
03-14-2022, 01:16 PM
I ordered the UK hardcovers of both books.
I now wait patiently for them to add the US edition....

Joe315
06-30-2022, 04:46 PM
Goldsboro has both new books up for preorder. Unsigned of course.

- https://www.goldsborobooks.com/product/stella-maris-unsigned
- https://www.goldsborobooks.com/product/the-passenger-unsigned

Kraken
08-10-2022, 11:51 AM
I’m so tempted to get this
https://www.waterstones.com/book/the-road/cormac-mccarthy/2928377128418

St. Troy
10-11-2022, 06:32 AM
Folio Society is publishing an edition of Blood Meridian ($70):

Multi-layered, violent and beautiful, Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian is a modern classic justly celebrated in this Folio Society edition, illustrated by award-winning artist Gérard DuBois.

Brutal and bleak; unique and compelling, Blood Meridian is widely regarded as Cormac McCarthy’s magnum opus, and one of the greatest American novels of all time. An epic western, it explores the spiralling violence suffered by Americans and Indians along the Texas-Mexican border in the mid-19th century. The disregard for life and law on both sides is a reflection on humanity’s destiny, and who among us might control its fate. Having illustrated our best-selling edition of McCarthy’s The Road, artist Gérard DuBois confronts the relentless savagery with surprising grace in his emotive illustrations, while his binding design leaves no doubt as to the hard-hitting nature of the book.

Bound in printed and blocked paper

Set in Maxime

320 pages

Black & white illustrated title-page spread plus 6 colour illustrations

Plain slipcase

9˝ x 5¾˝

French artist Gérard DuBois’s heart-wrenching illustrations in The Road define our stunning edition and his work will undoubtedly do the same for Blood Meridian. This, the only illustrated edition in print, includes six colour illustrations, which are shockingly violent yet beautiful in their composition and memorable for the meaning they convey. A striking black-and-white title-page illustration is a fitting visual introduction to the narrative, with the horror of death belied by the calm countenance of the young soldier who could almost be mistaken for sleeping.

A modern masterpiece that defies categorisation, Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian is essential reading. At heart a western, it also draws on far older literary traditions, namely The Odyssey and The Iliad, in which man’s place in the universe is questioned and his fate determined. The violence is immediate and appalling, the detail graphic and, at times, difficult to read. And yet in the context of the era and the settings, it is not gratuitous. Rather, McCarthy’s fully formed characters and lyrical prose convey poignancy and prompt contemplation. Based on historical events surrounding the notorious scalp-hunting Glanton Gang, the novel focuses on the endless cycle of attack and retribution, as white Americans try to decimate the indigenous population, both sides indiscriminate in their bloodletting.

https://www.foliosociety.com/usa/blood-meridian.html

RichardX
10-28-2022, 08:18 AM
Working my way through "The Passenger." Not an easy read. It has some typical McCarthy gems but a lot of material that is dense. And not in the good way. Not unlike Dan Simmons when he goes off the rails.

Cook
12-11-2022, 01:38 PM
If anybody has any interest in the latest Cormac McCarthy “The Passenger/Stella Maris” (Signed Limited set)
Please let me know.
I’m planning on listing it on eBay tomorrow for a considerable amount less than what everybody’s asking.
Probably around 750 ish.
Both books are flat-signed.
Both are stated First Edition, no numberline