PDA

View Full Version : Well, What Next?

Pages : [1] 2

Arthur Heath
11-13-2007, 01:57 PM
So Im about 40 pages from wrapping up the entire DT collection. :clap:
Having never read SK before DT (blasphemous, I know) after I take a short break and read various other authors I'll come back to his universe. I'd like to hear some suggestions on some of your favorite SK books. I have in my possesion The Talisman, which I have yet to read, so I'll probably start there. I am interested in hearing what my friends at DT Dot Com would suggest though.

Me, Skolpadda.

Odetta
11-13-2007, 02:06 PM
OK... well, The Talisman is along a similar line to DT, a very good read...

but my fave book of ALL TIME is The Stand. There is a lot with Randall Flagg which you may find interesting.

Daghain
11-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Another vote for The Stand. If you read The Talisman, follow it up with Black House.

I also really enjoyed Misery - it's a page turner, IMHO. :D

Matt
11-13-2007, 02:39 PM
The Stand for sure, its just kind of a "must read" for King

fernandito
11-13-2007, 02:45 PM
The aforementioned Talisman is a must read.

If you want to get a little more info on the empathic vampires, I suggest you read Desperation (my all time favorite SK book) and Regulators.

Darkthoughts
11-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Everything's Eventual - which is a collection of short stories. You'll be reaccquainted with Roland and Dinky Earnshaw...so what are you waiting for?

funky dredd
11-13-2007, 04:02 PM
I would go with Salem's Lot.

Brice
11-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Oh, fuck it! Read 'em all. :dance:

Ruthful
11-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Another vote for The Stand. If you read The Talisman, follow it up with Black House.

I also really enjoyed Misery - it's a page turner, IMHO. :D

Co-sign.

I like Daghain's suggestion too.

EE is essential reading, not only because of The Dark Tower connection, but because even the non-DT element is outstanding. One of the best Stephen King collections out there, IMO.

Darkthoughts
11-14-2007, 05:35 AM
I agree Ruthful, I enjoyed every story. Different Seasons would be my second choice for short stories. I wasn't keen on Apt Pupil though, not because it was badly written, but because the content was so disturbing.

Jean
11-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Oh, fuck it! Read 'em all. :dance:
Hear, hear!

Storyslinger
11-14-2007, 06:44 AM
I agree with all the above, but say that you should work your way through a collection of his short stories.

Jimmy
11-14-2007, 06:48 AM
Short stories might be the best way to go, you might get burned out at reading King's longer works. I always rebooted with his short stories before hitting a novel.

Odetta
11-14-2007, 07:16 AM
so did I, Jimmy!

Jimmy
11-14-2007, 07:23 AM
Skeleton Crew and Night Shift are excellent palatte cleaners, imo.

Odetta
11-14-2007, 07:25 AM
I really enjoyed Night Shift

Brice
11-14-2007, 07:29 AM
Yeah, his short stories make a good start and I frequently find myself going back to them. Personally I can't choose one collection. I stand by my last statement though. :D

Jean
11-14-2007, 08:02 AM
I personally am not very fond of King stories, with very few exceptions. I like them to some extent, but for me they are nothing comparing with his novels. So, after the DT I would suggest going on to 'Salem's Lot (as DT-connected), and then The Stand and It, of course!

Storyslinger
11-14-2007, 08:03 AM
I really like Salems Lot, i think it would be a good choice

Arthur Heath
11-14-2007, 12:18 PM
You guys are always a fountain of knowledge and a great help.
It's always appreciated!

MonteGss
11-14-2007, 12:46 PM
If you are looking to further your DT storylines then I would suggest reading The Eyes of the Dragon, The Stand and Salem's Lot. Those are three excellent books that tie into The Dark Tower.

Randall Flagg
11-14-2007, 01:29 PM
If you are willing, I would start with Carrie, and in order of publication date, read all of King's works. It really allows you to see the development in King personally, as well as a bit of how society changed over the last 35 years.
After all, period pieces whether they be books or movies are really a reflection of the time the piece was made.

Matt
11-14-2007, 01:36 PM
That's some damn good advice there too!

Arthur Heath
11-14-2007, 02:25 PM
That would quit the task Jerome, my friend. DT took me over a year to read (with other authors/books in between). I have the utmost respect for you all who have read the entire works of King. I cant find a bow smiley. So I am literally bowing to you. Believe me.

Randall Flagg
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Another thought would be to take a break from King and read the seven titles written under Bachman. Five of them are what I call "2 day reads". You could knock all of them out in a month or two of casual reading.
If you aren't ready to tackle all of his books, I think The Stand, The Shining and It should go to the top of your list.

Brice
11-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Or you could work your way through all of King's books, just taking a break after every couple titles to read whatever else you want to read.

ladysai
11-14-2007, 08:09 PM
If you are thinking of reading a collection of King's short stories, you ~must~ read "Different Seasons". I'm surprised it hasnt been mentioned already.
Some of the best short stories he's written are in that collection, imho.
:)

Ruthful
11-14-2007, 10:56 PM
If you are thinking of reading a collection of King's short stories, you ~must~ read "Different Seasons". I'm surprised it hasnt been mentioned already.

But it has.

><

ladysai
11-15-2007, 04:33 AM

But it has.

><

D'OH!
:doh:

Spencer
11-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Also, for DT related stuff that is among King's best work, Insomnia and Hearts in Atlantis. The latter contains Ted Brautigan's "Connecticut Adventure" that he refers to in DTVII.

Patrick
11-17-2007, 04:09 PM
I'm going to echo RF's recommendation to go read King's early works, including the Bachman books. :thumbsup:

Daghain
11-17-2007, 08:58 PM
The Bachman Books are excellent! :D

Storyslinger
11-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Definitly the Bachman Books

Chassit
11-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I would recommend The Stand and It. Both long books that tie into the Dark Tower (The Stand much more so than It). Just my opinion

XIX

SON-OF-WAYNE
11-21-2007, 02:26 PM
I would read "the little sisters of Eluria" it is a short story in "Everythings eventual" It is about Roland, and only about 100 pages, im reading it right now.

NeedfulKings
11-21-2007, 09:38 PM
IT is a classic. I've never related to characters like I did with the children in that story. And, it scared the shit out of me too!!! :D

It's over 1000 pages long, but goes VERY fast!!!

You'll find bits and pieces of King's Tower in many of his works. Enjoy.

As a die-hard fan, I confess to never have read Christine, Dreamcatchers, Blaze, and several of his short story collections. I'll get to them. :)

Darkthoughts
11-22-2007, 03:35 AM
I'm embarking on a reread of IT today. It scared the crap outta me too first time round. I used to do weird stuff like place something heavy on top of the book when I wasn't reading it...so nothing got out...:o...:lol:

Randall Flagg
12-17-2007, 12:47 PM
I just started to reread The long Walk.
Interestingly, early on someone is called "Old long tall and ugly", which I think is how Eddie referred to Roland.

Daghain
12-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Ooh, I just reread that and I can't remember who it was. I want to say it was Collie Parker.

Randall Flagg
12-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Just finished The Long walk. It was a good read. Pure Bachman.
Not sure what I'll read next.

Sympathy For The Devil
01-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi all,

I just need some advice on what i should stephen king book i should read next. Ive read all the dark tower books, the stand, IT and salems lot. Im not sure what to read next, i mean Kings catalogue is pretty intimidating, theres just so much choice. So yeah any recomendations?

Randall Flagg
01-08-2008, 07:34 AM
The Shining.

Odetta
01-08-2008, 07:38 AM
try some short stories

Ka-tet
03-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Any king book is worth the read in my opinion. The first book of his i read was Misery, a very good read. I'd go for that, give yourself a break from fantasy ><

jayson
03-03-2008, 04:19 AM
try some short stories

I'm with O on this one. Some of my fav King reading experiences have been the collections of short stories. I'd find one or two of these and give them a go. It'd be a nice change of pace from the long-form novels of DT but will still have that definite SK vibe.

Sympathy For The Devil
03-05-2008, 01:16 AM
Hey thanks for the tips people, since my last post ive read all the short stories from everythings eventual, i loved em. Its just so great to be able to sit down and get straight into a story and sometimes finish it in an hour. Obviously i loved the little sisters, everythings eventual was fantastic aswell. The scariest for me was 1408, i was terrified reading that story.

I read Carrie a while ago aswell, i read it in one day and loved it, although i dont think ill read it all that often, its just to emotional, i was nearly crying in the end.

I read the shining last week, i really enjoyed it and found this to be quite sad aswell.

Im thinking about reading the talisman next (although i havent seen it in any stores here) or maybe something else like duma key maybe? But i sorta wana read his 'classics' if you like before i read his newer stuff. So again any tips on what to read next would be much appreciated.

Storyslinger
03-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Hey thanks for the tips people, since my last post ive read all the short stories from everythings eventual, i loved em. Its just so great to be able to sit down and get straight into a story and sometimes finish it in an hour. Obviously i loved the little sisters, everythings eventual was fantastic aswell. The scariest for me was 1408, i was terrified reading that story.

I read Carrie a while ago aswell, i read it in one day and loved it, although i dont think ill read it all that often, its just to emotional, i was nearly crying in the end.

I read the shining last week, i really enjoyed it and found this to be quite sad aswell.

Im thinking about reading the talisman next (although i havent seen it in any stores here) or maybe something else like duma key maybe? But i sorta wana read his 'classics' if you like before i read his newer stuff. So again any tips on what to read next would be much appreciated.

If you can't get a copy of the Talisman or Black House, I have doubles of both and would be willing to send them too you. Also, after reading 1408, did you see the movie yet? If not, do so, you won't regret it.

Daghain
03-05-2008, 12:48 PM
I would try Misery, Christine, or Delores Claiborne as well.

The Talisman is also great, but remember King wrote it with Peter Straub, so it's a bit different. Good, but different. :)

Sympathy For The Devil
03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Storyslinger, no i havent seen the movie 1408, ive heard pretty bad things about it, in fact when i saw the trailer on the tv i couldnt beleive that someone could actually make a film out of it. Il probably try and read the talisman next, when i got time, i wana read it but im busy with uni for a while, hoepfully i'll be able to juggle both uni and stephen king.

Randall Flagg
03-21-2008, 01:47 AM
Just finished my re-read of Rage. Most excellent. Now starting The Running Man.

Daghain
03-21-2008, 07:21 AM
I liked Rage. I'm bummed SK stopped publishing it.

jayson
03-21-2008, 07:27 AM
i've always liked Rage as well. re-read a couple of years ago and i think it still holds up.

LadyHitchhiker
03-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I keep think this is going to be a talk about what SK's going to write for the DT next...

Randall Flagg
03-21-2008, 02:32 PM
I keep think this is going to be a talk about what SK's going to write for the DT next...
Nope.
That's why it is in a non-DT area.

Ka-tet
03-25-2008, 05:56 AM
Right, so i orderd me some new king books from amazon yesterday
Dreamcatcher
Insomnia
The Talisman
Black House

I want you guys to decide which one i should read first..thankee!

Jean
03-25-2008, 06:00 AM
the poll at the top will be removed when Ka-tet has made a choice

please vote now!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

I have voted The Talisman because I want you to read Black House, and they must be read in that order.

alinda
03-25-2008, 06:09 AM
I am once again in complete agreement with
"The Librarian" I voted the Talisman, (one of
my favorite SK stories) followed by The Black House.
Insomnia is also quite good. I have but am not crazy
about Dreamcatcher, altho' the book is far better
than the film ( as usually always the case in my
way of thinking) What ever you choose, I hope
you love them all.

Jean
03-25-2008, 06:31 AM
I am once again in complete agreement with
"The Librarian"
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sara01.gif

alinda
03-25-2008, 06:34 AM
I must say I really like where this poll is going....
Tallisman ...Tallisman.....Talisman....Talisman !!

Ka-tet
03-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Talisman probobly would have been my first choice ^_^

But the books arnt hear yet so lets wait and see where the poll goes!

Randall Flagg
03-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Finsihed The Running Man. Nice read. King is oddly prescient on a couple of counts.
Early on he describes a hulk of a stripped vehicle. The make was a Humber (Hummer). and of course the end of the book when Richards flies a jet into the Network building-reminiscent of 9/11

Daghain
03-25-2008, 07:51 AM
I voted for The Talisman as well. Great read!

Wuducynn
03-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Right, so i orderd me some new king books from amazon yesterday
Dreamcatcher
Insomnia
The Talisman
Black House

I want you guys to decide which one i should read first..thankee!

Insomnia definitely. One of my favorite non-Dark Tower books. :harrier:

Jean
03-25-2008, 08:21 AM
mine too, mine too! but Black House comes first

Wuducynn
03-25-2008, 08:24 AM
but Black House comes first

When you say this, do you mean it comes first storyline wise, or it comes first for you over Insomnia?

Jean
03-25-2008, 08:38 AM
for me over Insomnia

Wuducynn
03-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Ah. I love Insomnia a little more than Black House.

MonteGss
03-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Talisman, followed up by Blackhouse. Then...if you must...read Insomnia. Dreamcatcher last.

Wuducynn
03-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Talisman, followed up by Blackhouse. Then...if you must...read Insomnia. Dreamcatcher last.

Just so you know? Monte here is worthless to listen to, so don't. Make Insomnia your priority and Talisman and Black House. Dreamcatcher is a fantastic book, but is not Dark Tower connected so is definitely low on the totem pole of reading priority.

Ka-tet
03-26-2008, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the voting guys, keep it up the books still arnt here! ><

Storyslinger
03-26-2008, 05:36 AM
I went Insomnia first, mainly because it contains a lot of interesting views, and it is a little farther from King's regular works. Plus, its one of my favorite.

Wuducynn
03-26-2008, 05:55 AM
I went Insomnia first, mainly because it contains a lot of interesting views, and it is a little farther from King's regular works. Plus, its one of my favorite.

I knew I liked you for some reason.

MonteGss
03-26-2008, 08:00 AM

Just so you know? Monte here is awesome to listen to and he's super-smart. That said, please make Insomnia your priority and Talisman and Black House. Dreamcatcher is a fantastic book, but is not Dark Tower connected so is definitely low on the totem pole of reading priority.

Fixed that for you. :D

Anyway, Dreamcatcher should be last on the list because it is not Tower related but I agree, it is a pretty good book. Reading about Jack Sawyer in Talisman/Blackhouse is going to be more exciting for you though....unless you really enjoy slow, slow starts to books. If so, read Insomnia first. :yawn:

Wuducynn
03-26-2008, 09:00 AM
Look at it this way, Insomnia is like wonderful, hot, passionate fucking. You build slow, and pick up the pace, enjoying every bit of the woman's body, touching, feeling...faster...faster....hotter....hotter...th ose tits are bouncing, shes screaming with pleasure in each thrust...the headboard broke fifteen minutes ago...Finally! A body rocking orgasm that both of you share, where there is nothing else in the universe. Thats what Insomnia is like.

Ka-tet
03-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Look at it this way, Insomnia is like wonderful, hot, passionate fucking. You build slow, and pick up the pace, enjoying every bit of the woman's body, touching, feeling...faster...faster....hotter....hotter...th ose tits are bouncing, shes screaming with pleasure in each thrust...the headboard broke fifteen minutes ago...Finally! A body rocking orgasm that both of you share, where there is nothing else in the universe. Thats what Insomnia is like.

SOUNDS LIKE ONE AWSOME BOOK, well they should be here tomorrow so keep voting guys!

Ka-tet
03-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Well guys, The Talisman and Dreamcatcher arrived today.

It looks like ill be reading The Talisman first ^_^

Jean
03-27-2008, 07:39 AM
great! thank you for the PM, too http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

I'm closing the poll, which has served its purpose, and an admin will remove it later

Wuducynn
03-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Well guys, The Talisman and Dreamcatcher arrived today.

It looks like ill be reading The Talisman first ^_^

Awwww...and after that analogy I typed out for you too...you should wait for Insomnia and start that first instead. :harrier:

Ka-tet
03-27-2008, 08:38 AM
sorry man, the poll has spoken, ill read insomnia after The Talisman and Black House...Unless of course inheritance book 3 is out by then :P

BevMarsh83
07-03-2008, 08:53 AM
I've got a few King books hanging around my bookcase that I haven't read yet......so not really sure where to head next!! Opinions greatly appriciated :rose:

Desperation
Talisman
Cell
The Stand (I know, can't believe I haven't read it yet!)

Em x

Girlystevedave
07-03-2008, 09:00 AM
DESPERATION!!

....NOW
:D

Daghain
07-03-2008, 09:08 AM
The Stand. :)

BevMarsh83
07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I did start The Stand a couple of years ago but couldn't get into it...might give it another go : )

Jean
07-03-2008, 09:25 AM
dear Bev http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif, I have merged your thread with the pre-existing one, hope you don't mind! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

BevMarsh83
07-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Noooooo not at all! :thumbsup:

jayson
07-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Bev - give The Talisman a go. If you enjoy it, it will answer the "what next" question with Black House.

Jean
07-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Bev - give The Talisman a go. If you enjoy it, it will answer the "what next" question with Black House.
ditto if you don't enjoy it. Or even if you never finish it at all (Black House would lose something in this case, but not really that much)

jayson
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
good point Jean. Talisman complements Black House quite well, but enjoying the former is not a requirement for enjoying the latter [though I personally love both]

BevMarsh83
07-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks guys
Just realised that I own Black House aswell! Mmmmmm might get started on Talisman now.............

Depren
07-28-2008, 05:38 PM
So I've read The Stand and the Dark Tower Series by Stephen King and am looking for another book to read by him. Looking for suggestions (I know there are a lot of great ones) for which one you guys(and gals) think are his best other than the two I've read. Thanks in advance.

-Marcus

Shamey
07-28-2008, 05:42 PM
The Shining would be a good one to read next. I also really liked The Long Walk. But that's a short one. Oooh Four Past Midnight is a good one too :)

Heather19
07-28-2008, 05:57 PM
I second The Long Walk. And It if you don't mind reading another long one.

William50
07-28-2008, 07:00 PM
I agree about The Long Walk, but I also strongly suggest that you read the Green Mile. It is an amazing serial novel. (but that's just my oppinion).

iprimate858
08-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Okay, its been a while since I last posted in these forums, but I need some advice.

I go through phases in how much I read. There will be months in which I will only finish one book, and then there will be weeks in which I'll finish a dozen. Right now, I'm in my "focused" phase.

I just finished "A Storm of Swords" by George R R Martin, which was excellent. The natural thing to do would be to read "A Feast for Crows", which is the next book in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm holding back though, because the fifth book has yet to be released, and I want to pace how I read them. I don't want to relive the Dark Tower, waiting years to find out what happens to my favorite characters.

I've felt like reading some Stephen King, and I've begun The Shining, which I've surprisingly never read. It should only keep me occupied for two to three days tops though, and then I'll have to choose another book.

So here's my question: Which would you recommend reading? Eyes of the Dragon? Or Talisman? I'm in the mood for some good old fantasy reading, which is the better novel?

I'll even take it a step further, based on my love for George R R Martin's novels, who else, besides King, would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

jhanic
08-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Personally, I'd try Talisman. Don't forget that Eyes of the Dragon, while VERY good, was intended as a children's book (it's dedicated to King's daughter Naomi). It's a simpler story than the more complex Talisman. After Talisman, you might want to try its "sequel" Black House.

John

fernandito
08-24-2008, 03:18 PM
I just finished "A Storm of Swords" by George R R Martin, which was excellent. The natural thing to do would be to read "A Feast for Crows", which is the next book in the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

Excellent series! :excited:

I just finished A Clash of Kings a few days ago myself, and I'm going to pick up ASoS shortly after I finish the 3rd Harry Potter book. Be sure to stop by the ASoIaF thread which you can find here. (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1616&page=2) *Just remember to mark spoilers!*

iprimate858
08-24-2008, 03:20 PM
I'll go there right now :) It is an amazing series, and I wish I were in your position, A Storm of Swords is in my opinion the best out of the first three.

Bluenose
08-26-2008, 12:40 PM
A storm of swords is one of the best books I've read, full stop.

I'd agree with the Talisman / Black House suggestion, but also offer up Robert Jordan as an alternative, though the series has started to lag as its gone on (no disrespect intended to the late Mr Jordan) or Stephen Donaldsons Mordant's Need.

BeDaN
08-27-2008, 12:08 PM
I was in the same predicament, so here's what i did. I followed DT with "Insomnia" then I went to "The Stand" then I went to "Desperation." Also Roland's short story in "Everything's Eventual" is a must read for DT fans, not the greatest story but it's DT so you must read, hehe.

BeDaN
09-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Alright I'm half-way through "It" and I'm getting to that point where I'm trying to decide what to read next. So the big question for me that I need help with is, "The Talisman" or "The Eyes of the Dragon" your thoughts and opinions would be extremely helpful.

stone, rose, unfound door
09-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Give Salem's Lot a try. It's one of the best vampire novels I've ever read. Once you're over with this one, try and read the Long Walk, just because it's one of my all-time favourite books.

Heather19
09-16-2008, 03:37 PM
I know it wasn't on your list, but I'd definately second The Long Walk if you haven't read it yet. It's at the top of my list as well, (second only to It). It's also a fairly short read so you should be able to breeze thru it and then move onto something else rather quickly.

Jackie
09-16-2008, 04:35 PM
IT is a good read. Long but worth it. Even if you have seen the movie already [which you probably have cause its just that type of movie that everyone knows and has seen] because there are so many interesting parts that were left out in the movie [hard to believe i know since like a majority of Sai movies its about 6 hours long (correct me if im wrong) ] It's definitly on my favorites list.

Another one i have just recently finshed that is also one of my favorite books is The Eyes of the Dragon. A pretty amazing book. [And shorter if you were looking for a faster read] This is just another book that Flagg plays a huge part in.

Daghain
09-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Eyes of the Dragon or The Long Walk. Both are excellent. :)

BeDaN
09-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Ok I'll go with EotD 1st - Then Talisman because I had bought Black House not realizing it was the sequel. And I actually was planning on reading Salem's Lot after those 3. Not familiar with The Long Walk but I trust your judgements so I'll take that one up after. Gawd what a list. And yes I have seen the movie It and I love it, that's why I bought the book when I was a kid. It was my first King book actually, it was just so long it really intimidated me back then but now that I'm a very avid reader I'm loving it and wish I would have read it a long time ago.

Heather19
10-05-2008, 07:09 AM
So I'm going on a trip in a few days, and I wanted to bring a King book with me but I wasn't sure which one to choose, and I'm not sure I'll even get a chance to start it because I'm bringing some other books but just in case I wanted one handy.

So my choices are Misery, The Dead Zone, or Dolores Claiborne. Which one would you guys suggest.

Darkthoughts
10-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Dolores!

It's one of those ones that people are utterly divided on, I loved it! But if you're taking it on a trip, chances are you'd be more inclined to finish it even if you didn't like it so much.

jhanic
10-05-2008, 08:37 AM
I'd suggest Dead Zone, but only because it's divided into chapters, while Dolores is one long continuous narrative. When travelling, I think the chapter breaks would be better. As far as the stories themselves, I'm also a BIG fan of Dolores Claiborne. To me, Dead Zone seems just a bit outdated now.

John

Daghain
10-05-2008, 08:17 PM
MISERY!!! It's a total page-turner.

I like your other choices too, however - all good!

I do agree with jhanic on the chapter thing, though. Dolores Claiborne is hard to find a stopping-spot on. :)

zemegauser
10-10-2008, 05:58 AM
I just recently got into reading some Stephen King books, and I am at the moment reading the Dark Tower series lightning fast because they are amazing. But I was wondering when I get done with this series, if anybody could recommend some books that are very similar to this series. I have been looking at SK's other books, but they all seem *too* much focused on the horror aspect, unlike Dark Tower books.

So yeah, if anybody could help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

P.S: Gunslinger Rocks! :shoot:

jayson
10-10-2008, 06:00 AM
The Talisman
Black House
The Stand
It

Jean
10-10-2008, 06:04 AM
welcome zemegauser

this thread is going to be merged with Well, What Next (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1356)very soon

Ben
10-10-2008, 06:12 AM
I strongly agree with The Stand & It (my personal favorite). Although It is definitely more of a "horror title", both that book and The Stand are about groups of people (or Ka-Tet's if you will) that for some reason gravitate towards eachother and have to overcome evil.

turtlex
10-10-2008, 06:38 AM
I would like to second and third, and fourth, I guess - the suggestion for The Stand.

It is actually the first SK that I read and it is, quite honestly, simply wonderful.

It is not horror, per se, but does have some aspects of scary!

And welcome!

Daghain
10-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Yep, another vote for The Stand. You won't be sorry!

Arthur Heath
10-10-2008, 08:59 AM
Zemegauser, Jean speaks true. I received some excellent suggestions from the fine people of DT Dot Com. And welcome!

John_and_Yoko
10-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Shame on you all for forgetting Insomnia!

Insomnia is the keystone novel for understanding The Dark Tower!

Shame, shame, shame!

Seriously, you want to read Insomnia. It goes even deeper into Dark Tower mythology than The Dark Tower itself.

Jean
10-10-2008, 11:18 PM
merging... merging...

...merged

BeDaN
10-10-2008, 11:58 PM
"Insomnia" was the first non DT book I read of Sai King's, ( Because it's referenced in DT ) and I loved it. I know a lot of people don't like it but I really did, and maybe it's because I was fiending for something along the lines of DT, with the mythology and such. I am towards the end of "The Talisman" and it is awesome, but "Insomnia" came first so it has a special place in my heart. But I cannot wait to finish "The Talisman" and "Black House", maybe after I am done with them I will have changed my mind.

guitargal81
10-25-2008, 08:13 PM
i liked hearts in atlantis but my two absolute non-tower books are insomnia and the stand...im restarting insomnia for the 19th time (tis true ive counted!) tonight!

jhanic
10-26-2008, 03:38 AM
I've always considered Insomnia to be a Dark Tower book except that Roland and his Ka-Tet don't REALLY make an appearance.

John

Guy Incognito
01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Firestarter or Cell?

AAAAAAND GO!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Firestarter, no comparison.

Jean
01-22-2009, 02:06 AM
this thread is going to be merged with Well, What Next? (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1356) very soon

alinda
01-22-2009, 05:40 AM
Thanks Jean,
I personally think Firestarter is a better book, but I've only read these two books once each, so that's based on first impressions. I actually wouldnt place either of them on a I have to read this book fast just the books awesome list tho. But yeah, I would say that
out of the 2 Firestarter was a better read for me.:)

Daghain
01-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Firestarter. Definitely.

Melike
01-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Absolutely Firestarter.

flaggwalkstheline
01-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Cell is good, firestarter is better

Guy Incognito
01-22-2009, 10:46 AM
thanks.
sorry if i started a thread that already existed haha.

Daghain
01-22-2009, 10:48 AM
No worries, we have the power to merge. :D

Bumbler19
01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
hmm i'm having this same dilemma, although i'm leaning towards either

Salem's Lot

or

Hearts in Atlantis

mostly because i've been itching to hear the full story of the vampires and callahan since DT5, i've been leaning towards Salem's Lot.

but as i just finished DT7 i feel greatly pulled towards Ted Brautigan's story and want to read Hearts in Atlantis.

BUT i feel that i only wish to read these because of the very obvious intermingling with TDT series. i know there are other books that tie into TDT wheel, will i maybe appreciate some of those more if i read them now before hearts/salems? if so which?

Also, i'm veeerrry interesting in learning more about the PRIM etc. etc. is there any books that explain the prim more at all? i know that Duma Key has the prim involved somehow, but are there others? gah all so confusing...

MonteGss
01-22-2009, 03:35 PM
You shouldn't choose one over the other. If you like King, read them both and decide for yourself which is better.
:rolleyes:

Chap
01-22-2009, 05:03 PM
I'd say go for Cell, then Firestarter. :)

only read Cell myself, and liked it a lot.

Heather19
01-22-2009, 05:14 PM

I'd agree. I haven't read Firestarter yet, but Cell's a great read.

Chap
01-22-2009, 05:29 PM

You and I seem to be the only ones who really enjoyed Cell :couple:

Heather19
01-22-2009, 05:36 PM
I know, it's sad to not see it get more love around here.

Daghain
01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
I'll reread it next year. Maybe my opinion will change. :lol:

obscurejude
01-22-2009, 10:34 PM

You and I seem to be the only ones who really enjoyed Cell :couple:

I'm part of the minority too. :) I even argued that it was better than the Stand and got lambasted by the majority of the site. :lol:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Cell is not a bad book by any stretch. I really enjoyed it, just thought that Firestarter was much better.
Also, two of the three above who voted for the Cell, have not even read the opponent.

I agree with MonteGss, read them both and decide for yourself.

........but start with Firestarter.....haha

Jean
01-23-2009, 12:15 AM
You shouldn't choose one over the other. If you like King, read them both and decide for yourself which is better.
:rolleyes:
This is the best answer!

P.S. The thread is merged

Guy Incognito
01-24-2009, 02:37 PM
i went with Cell.
and i wasn't trying to pick one and throw the other in the garbage, i just couldn't decide which to read FIRST.

Cell is incredible so far, i've only been reading it for two days and i'm damn near done, so it must be good haha.
i'm big on the apocalyptic tales though.

Heather19
01-24-2009, 02:44 PM
:thumbsup: Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Guy Incognito
01-24-2009, 06:35 PM
i'm getting the feeling the ending is gonna piss me off...

Daghain
01-24-2009, 10:52 PM
There is a 50/50 chance of that. :D

Guy Incognito
01-24-2009, 11:04 PM
just finished it.
ever had the urge to kick a kitten in the mouth?
yea THAT.
:arg:

Daghain
01-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Yeah, that was kind of my take on it. :(

Jean
01-25-2009, 01:06 AM
Interesting. I liked Cell immensely more towards the end than I did the beginning. For me it was: first third - unbearably boring; middle third - quite passable; last third - actually good.

Daghain
01-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Interesting. Hmmm.....

Guy Incognito
01-25-2009, 10:07 AM
yea, not sure where you get boring from, but ok, to each their own.
the only thing that i didn't like about it was the ending.
but, that has a tendency to ruin a book.
which in this case, is what happened.

Heather19
01-25-2009, 10:10 AM
oh no, so you didn't care for it at all now?
I absolutely loved the beginning to that book, easily one of my favorite openings. I thought it slowed down a bit as the story went on, but I still enjoyed it. And while probably not the best ending to a book, I still enjoyed it.

ChicagoMolly
01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
I agree with Randall Flagg ( now there's a mind blowing sentence!), start with carrie and read them all.

I read Carrie in 7th grade, right after it came out in the theatres. My friends and I were so happy when 'Salem's Lot came out, then The Shining, it was a dream come true. A writer who could write, writing horror after horror... wonderful.

Right after I finished DT7, I went back and read everything in order again. It was amazing, to be given an insight to King's growth through reading his works, in a kind of fast forward.

Whatever you choose, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Chap
01-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Interesting. I liked Cell immensely more towards the end than I did the beginning. For me it was: first third - unbearably boring; middle third - quite passable; last third - actually good.

that's almost exactly the opposite of me.
beginning - great, middle - good, end - OK

anyway, next King book will be The Talisman :)

Guy Incognito
01-30-2009, 11:42 AM
k, so Firestarter is a snoozefest...
but i'm determined to finish it, then on to THE GUNSLINGER!!!!

i've read the first 3 books in the series before, but that was a couple years ago, so gonna start over and read them all this time.

EdwardDean1999
02-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Call me a dork, but I had a load of fun reading "Cell". So much in fact that sometimes I wish I lived in that world! Not joking.

Matt
02-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I felt the same way about Cell, very cool little read.

Jean
02-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Especially the last third!

stone, rose, unfound door
02-10-2009, 01:25 PM
I'd start by reading Salem's Lot and all the DT related books. Then go on and read what's left (that isn't much so when you get there, read them in whatever order you prefer :))

sandcracker21
04-02-2009, 07:25 AM
well I am new to this forum, and new to the dark tower series as well...to tell you the truth, I am not much of a reader of any series of book (read the lord of the rings when I was a kid) HOWEVER, after reading the gunslinger, I was hooked bad.

I am now 200 pages into the 7th and last book, and this has been the BEST book series I have ever read. I am kind of disapointed that the 'ride' is over because it was amazing.

Now my question is this...since I am out of touch of the world of books, what should I read next? What is a similarly GREAT story such as that of the Dark Tower. (I have always liked fantasy a little more than anything else)

Reading has now come as a part of my everyday and I would like to keep it that way.

Thanks guys and gals!

Matt
04-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Hey Sandcracker--welcome to the site. The Dark Tower series is as good as it gets but as far as "what's next" you could try a few things.

Little Sisters of Eluria is a story in the collection Everything's Eventual. It's an early tale of Roland.

The comics are out of course, those have been cool.

The Talisman and Black House are great fantasy that have a strong tie with the Tower books.

Again, welcome. Hope you love the place as much as we do.

flaggwalkstheline
04-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Hi!

well since u havent quite gotten there yet u dont know HOW great the dark tower is going to get

there are very few series that even come close to it...
Possible Necroscope by brian lumley
Clive Barkers' books of the art are trying but theyre not yet finished or unified yet
Lord of the rings and the silmarillian, of course, are amazing

alinda
04-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Hello and welcome sandcracker! I am so happy to know you have rediscovered reading.
I love reading so much, I find it hard to reccomend any particular books, read what ever
makes you happy! Read, read read read read read read read it all!Please do stay and make yourself at home here, and let us know what you are doing, reading etc...again, welcome!

Hannah
04-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Welcome to the site! :D

There's also a thread to introduce yourself in this same forum, and some questions that you can answer about the series and yourself if you're interested.

I will probably merge this thread with that thread here in a day or two.

sandcracker21
04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
hmmm...does one need to purchase the entire book of short stories or can i get the DT one seperate? How long is it?

also...has anyone read "The Stand"? I have heard this is a great book as well.

Matt
04-02-2009, 08:54 AM
The Stand is amazing, worth every single minute you read it and think about it for the rest of your life.

Little Sisters can be bought with the revised edition of the Gunslinger right now but only at limited press.

I'd suggest getting Everything's Eventual to read it, the rest of the stories are really cool in there.

flaggwalkstheline
04-02-2009, 09:38 AM
and salems lot and insomnia and eyes of the dragon and the mist (in skeleton crew) and rose madder
those ones r important to the dt series

alinda
04-02-2009, 10:09 AM
There is a thread around here some where, in fact maybe a whole collection of DT related things books , concepts etc...keep looking if its DT related it's likely here somewhere.If you need any help navigating, why theres even a thread for that!! :lol:
PS , You can always ask any one of us, I for one will try to help out anyway I can.:D

Iwritecode
04-02-2009, 10:36 AM
and salems lot and insomnia and eyes of the dragon and the mist (in skeleton crew) and rose madder
those ones r important to the dt series

IT and Hearts in Atlantis are too. As well as being a couple of pretty good books.

sandcracker21
04-02-2009, 10:40 AM
as far as the stand, which is better? the newer revised and expanded book, or the original edited

alinda
04-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I have both, I am only begining to read the new and expanded version.

KaLikeAWheel
04-02-2009, 11:22 AM
as far as the stand, which is better? the newer revised and expanded book, or the original edited

Hi, Sandcracker. Welcom to the site!! Careful, this site is nearly as addictive as the books it's dedicated to.

I've read both versions of The Stand several times each. Both are good in their own way. I liked the expanded edition more, just because it answers some things the original did not. However, it is a bit longer, and if you want to read the original first, you'll get a great story in a bit less time. I recommend reading the original and then, if you love it (and you will), after it's settled in your brain for a while, reading the expanded version. That's the only way you'll truly know which one you think is better.

Many, many of Stephen King's other works are dark tower related in some way. I, of course, have to recommend all of Sai King's works.

As for suggestions for other series to read, I'm going to second Flag's Necroscope suggestion. It's a long series with a couple of related offshoot series that will keep you reading for a long time to come. Other books I've been reading lately is Harry Turtledove's World War series and the related Colonization series. They are alternate history series about aliens invading during the middle of WWII. Last, but not least, I have to put a plug in for the Harry Potter series. It really is great. Much better than the movies (even though the movies are pretty good, too).

Here's a thread that discusses other series that members have read and enjoyed: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=918&highlight=series

Here is a thread where you can post what books you've been reading and see what others are reading:http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6593

Okay, that should keep you reading for the next ten years or so. Alinda is right.
Read, read read read read read read read it all!

Donna

Jean
04-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi sandcracker21, welcome! I have merged your thread here because the main question you asked was exactly the same as the title question of this thread - what next? I hope you will post a lot, everywhere in our site. Don't miss our Introduce Yourself (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=67)thread (which Hannah http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif has already mentioned)
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Slash281
04-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Ok, so I need a book to read in between The Talisman and Black House. For some reason I just don't want to read em' back to back.

SK Books I've already read:

Carrie
'Salem's Lot
Christine
IT
The Dead Zone
Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Books I have in my possession:
Desperation
The Stand
Pet Semetary
The Eyes of the Dragon
The Shining
Misery
The Long Walk
Skeleton Crew
Different Seasons
Four Past Midnight

It would be more convenient for me if you pick one out of the list, but if there's one you think I just have to read I can probably go and pick that up within a few days. The whole point is that you think it would fit well within the Talisman and Black House, and thank you in advance :D

Unfound One
04-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Hey Slash -

It's not on your list, but Insomnia is a grrrreat one. It's a quick read, and it'll give you a few minor connections to DT that you'll probably enjoy. I'd say it's worth picking up at some point.

The Stand is also great (obscurejude will disagree with me here) but it's DAMN long, and it takes awhile to get into. I dunno if it's a read-in-between type of book, but definitely read it when you get a chance.

Unfortunately, other than The Stand, I haven't read any of the books on your "currently own but haven't yet read" list. Sorry I'm not much help, but I wanted to throw in my two cents. :lol:

~SJ

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Pet Sematary is one of my favs. It is a quick read and thus very suitable as an in-between-read.

Daghain
04-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Pet Sematary, The Stand, or Misery. IMHO, Misery is probably the fastest read - total page-turner!

Iwritecode
04-16-2009, 09:48 AM
IMHO, The Eyes of the Dragon or The Long Walk are both fairly quick reads.

The first one has as slim connection to the DT series. The latter stands on it's own but it's one of my favorites.

Heather19
04-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Slash, I would highly recommend reading The Long Walk. It's a quick read, and one of King's best.

Now can anyone help me out. I've been in the mood to read a really scary book. Does anyone have anything they could recommend?

Brice
04-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Slash, I would highly recommend reading The Long Walk. It's a quick read, and one of King's best.

Now can anyone help me out. I've been in the mood to read a really scary book. Does anyone have anything they could recommend?

If you were asking for really good books/stories in the horror genre I could help. Scary is something I haven't really found in a book for years though.

Heather19
04-20-2009, 05:32 AM
If you were asking for really good books/stories in the horror genre I could help. Scary is something I haven't really found in a book for years though.

ok, send some recommendations over to me. I agree, there's only been probably 1 or 2 books that actually scared me. It's the same with horror films, I'm always searching for ones that will really truly terrify me, but that doesn't happen easily.

Brice
04-20-2009, 07:54 AM
It's been years...maybe decades since one has terrified me. I'll work on a list for you. :)

Heather19
04-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks Brice :couple:

CyberGhostface
04-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Ok, so I need a book to read in between The Talisman and Black House. For some reason I just don't want to read em' back to back.

SK Books I've already read:

Carrie
'Salem's Lot
Christine
IT
The Dead Zone
Nightmares and Dreamscapes

Books I have in my possession:
Desperation
The Stand
Pet Semetary
The Eyes of the Dragon
The Shining
Misery
The Long Walk
Skeleton Crew
Different Seasons
Four Past Midnight

It would be more convenient for me if you pick one out of the list, but if there's one you think I just have to read I can probably go and pick that up within a few days. The whole point is that you think it would fit well within the Talisman and Black House, and thank you in advance :D

Eyes of the Dragon would probably fit best as its the most 'fantasy' out of those. Besides that, I would recommend The Shining just because it's one of King's best.

Jean
04-20-2009, 10:23 AM

ok, send some recommendations over to me. I agree, there's only been probably 1 or 2 books that actually scared me. It's the same with horror films, I'm always searching for ones that will really truly terrify me, but that doesn't happen easily.

It's been years...maybe decades since one has terrified me. I'll work on a list for you. :)
Bears love to be terrified, too!!! They'll wait for the list.

Brice
04-20-2009, 04:26 PM
soon...very soon

Heather19
04-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Brice, I hope you haven't forgotten about us :(

Jean
04-28-2009, 11:22 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/awake.gif

ManOfWesternesse
04-28-2009, 11:47 PM
The Long Walk

^^ THAT ONE!!!:P

Seriously - it's a great, great story.

Daghain
04-29-2009, 09:02 AM

OMG Best smilie EVER!!!!

Wuducynn
04-29-2009, 11:08 AM

OMG Best smilie EVER!!!!

No way. It's a toss-up between these two -

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/_evilpumpkin__by_clairebearer.gif

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/DaghainDT/Photo0204.jpghttp://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/peeing_smiley.gif

Daghain
04-29-2009, 11:38 AM
:rofl:

Brice
04-30-2009, 08:43 AM
Brice, I hope you haven't forgotten about us :(

No, I haven't forgotten. I just haven't gotten to it yet.

Ricky
05-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Ok, so I never believed that it would happen, but I'm almost out of books to read. I'm looking to read an SK book from the ones I have left which include Insomnia, Dreamcatcher, and The Tommyknockers.

Any suggestions?

Unfound One
05-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Insomnia!

Please.

Heather19
05-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I might be the only vote for this one, but I'd say Dreamcatcher out of those listed.

Ricky
05-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Really? I was leaning with The Tommyknockers.

Well, back to the beginning! :lol:

Heather19
05-06-2009, 05:28 PM
:lol:
It's been ages since I read The Tommyknockers, but I do remember enjoying it.
So if that's what you're leaning toward then I say go for it! :)

Jean
05-06-2009, 10:20 PM
hear, hear

Insomnia is probably the best of them, but bears have a personal penchant for Tommyknockers.

Ricky
05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
Another day goes by and I haven't chosen a new book. It's tearing me apart. :wtf:

Wuducynn
05-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Ok, so I never believed that it would happen, but I'm almost out of books to read. I'm looking to read an SK book from the ones I have left which include Insomnia, Dreamcatcher, and The Tommyknockers.

Any suggestions?

Insomnia first and then Dreamcatcher. Tommyknockers is good but I think of a lot of other of King's books to read before that one.

Ricky
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Last night I chose to read The Tommyknockers after much consideration. It was the only ones of the three that I have in softcover (so I wouldn't have difficulty lugging it around wherever). Plus, this is one of those books that I'm not really sure of the plot so I'm intrigued before I begin.

Once I'm done this one, I'll go out and buy a couple more that I'm interested in. I'm just hoping that The Tommyknockers isn't a slow read.

Wuducynn
05-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Ricky, I'm telling everyone to lose your number.

Ricky
05-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Lol! Go for it! :lol:

rdb25
07-12-2009, 02:40 AM
Hello - I'm pretty sure this is the right forum for this - if not, I apologize in advance. I'm pretty new here.

I'm a DT junkie that will be in need of a fix fairly soon. It seems SK created his own form of devilgrass in the DT (maddeningly enjoyable and addictive, lol). I've read the series a number of times and I've decided to take on the project of reading (and re-reading in some cases) everything that has any kind of connection to the DT (both SK and his inspirations). I would like to read them in order of most Dark Towerish to least Dark Towerish if that makes any kind of sense to you :).

For this little project of mine, I've already read SK's main inspirations (Browning and Eliot) and, of course, the DT series itself. My question is, what SK book should I read after the series and comics? Which is the most Dark Towerish in your opinion?

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated :)

Robin

Jean
07-12-2009, 03:48 AM
thank you for posting, rdb25! This thread is soon going to be merged with Well, What's Next

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Letti
07-12-2009, 06:30 AM
Welcome to the site. Sorry for the merging but we have a great thread with the same topic. It will help you, too.

Xicon
11-18-2009, 02:00 PM
So now what?

My Dad gave me four King books. It, 'Salem's Lot, The Stand, and recently, Under the Dome. I'm not sure which to read next. I'm leaning toward The Stand because of the LOST inspiration and obvious connections to the Dark Tower, but 'Salem's Lot is a very likely candidate.

So I leave it to you, who are clearly more well-versed in Sai King's works.

Which should I read?

mikeC
11-18-2009, 02:14 PM
I would read the Stand. it's not as slow to start as It and salem's lot. enjoy! i wish i could read all of them the first time again. (except i havent read Dome)

Míchéal
11-18-2009, 02:41 PM
I'd go with 'Salem's Lot Xicon.

LadyHitchhiker
11-18-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd go with the stand because it's maybe my favorite book EVER. Besides, haven't read Under the Dome yet and if it has any tower connections, you're going to want to have read The Stand. ;) Well actually then you'll have wanted to read Salem's lot and the whole dark tower series too and It....

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

I think we have a chart somewhere in which order you should read the books for max clarification!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-18-2009, 07:24 PM
It...definitely It

or possibly The Stand,

or maybe Salem's Lot.

orrrr Under the Dome.

Yeah It....definitely IT.

ola
11-18-2009, 10:20 PM
None...you'll never stop, and then friends/family will start to roll their eyes at you when you pull yet another Stephen King book out of your bag :blush:

John_and_Yoko
11-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I personally would (and did) read IT right after I finished TDT.

That's me, but given the connections in the last volume, it made sense to me (and IT turned out to be my second favorite King book after TDT).

Sickrose
11-19-2009, 12:04 AM
None...you'll never stop, and then friends/family will start to roll their eyes at you when you pull yet another Stephen King book out of your bag :blush:

This made me laugh. it is so true :)

BeDaN
11-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Go to the library and get "Insomnia" gives you another view on the battle between red and white

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-19-2009, 01:08 AM
It....definitely It

The turtle cannot help you

John_and_Yoko
11-19-2009, 01:12 AM
Go to the library and get "Insomnia" gives you another view on the battle between red and white

I would disagree--Insomnia you should read BEFORE you finish TDT....

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-19-2009, 01:21 AM
As far as dark tower connections go, Salem's Lot or The Stand has the closest ties.

John_and_Yoko
11-19-2009, 02:12 AM
As far as dark tower connections go, Salem's Lot or The Stand has the closest ties.

True--but again, it would seem to make sense to read those before/during reading TDT.

Jean
11-19-2009, 04:33 AM
This thread is going to be merged very soon.

Xicon
11-19-2009, 01:45 PM

True--but again, it would seem to make sense to read those before/during reading TDT.

Too late. :(

Well it looks like The Stand is the one I'll read next, then Salem's Lot... I haven't really heard much about It, so I don't really see the connections from Dark Tower.

John_and_Yoko
11-19-2009, 01:46 PM

Too late. :(

Well it looks like The Stand is the one I'll read next, then Salem's Lot... I haven't really heard much about It, so I don't really see the connections from Dark Tower.

If you've been paying attention to the last volume, you will when you read IT.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-19-2009, 05:18 PM
When you read It, you will notice the connections. They primarily have to do with one of the more prominent guardians of The Beams.

cody44
11-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah, it actually had a few references (small ones I may add) littered about it. I do have to say though, that IT raised more questions about the Guardian than it answered. Still, The Stand is a great choice by any means, and Salem's Lot is a classic.

Should be all smooth reading ahead for you. :rose:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
"It" actually has ties to several SK books outside of DT. Two that come immediately to mind are The Shining and Dreamcatcher, but there are others. Many insignificant details that any constant reader would recognize. Orinco trucks and whatnot.

Jack Torrance
06-11-2010, 02:27 PM
I hope i put this in the right section.

I was wondering, I am finishing up The dark tower, I want opinions of what to read next.

What would you folks suggest to me? Even if I have read them I would like to hear the suggestions.

John_and_Yoko
06-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I hope i put this in the right section.

I was wondering, I am finishing up The dark tower, I want opinions of what to read next.

What would you folks suggest to me? Even if I have read them I would like to hear the suggestions.

Depends on what you've already read and what you haven't yet.

I read IT immediately after I finished the series, and I was NOT sorry. :D

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-11-2010, 05:18 PM
It is a very good choice, but... as J and Y pointed out, it very much depends on what you have and have not read. Insomnia or Salem's Lot might be good choices for their DT ties if you have not already read them. The Stand is always a good choice.

Jack Torrance
06-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Insomnia it is. I have read "It" but I would have no issue reading the book again.

I have read......
The Shining
Pet Sematary
It
The Talisman
Black House
The Stand. (Extended version)
Cujo
Cell
that's not all but it is all I can think of off the top of my head.

John_and_Yoko
06-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Insomnia it is. I have read "It" but I would have no issue reading the book again.

I have read......
The Shining
Pet Sematary
It
The Talisman
Black House
The Stand. (Extended version)
Cujo
Cell
that's not all but it is all I can think of off the top of my head.

After Insomnia you should read Hearts in Atlantis, then. And maybe 'Salem's Lot, too.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
06-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Definitely Salem's Lot.....Yeah.....Yeah.....Definitely Salem's Lot.

Jack Torrance
06-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Ok Insomnia the Salem's Lot!

Thank you folks so much!

Kidd Ikarus
02-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I've read the dark tower series twice, I've read It, The Stand, Full Dark, No Stars, Insomnia, The Talisman, Black House, and a couple of the stories in Everythings Eventual. Does anyone have some good suggestions would I should tackle next. Preferably anything DT related. Thanks.

Jean
02-06-2011, 01:13 PM
this thread is going to be merge with that one (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1356-Well-What-Next) in a couple of days

Ricky
02-06-2011, 01:19 PM
If you want something DT related, go for The Little Sisters of Eluria in Everything's Eventual.

Kidd Ikarus
02-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Little sisters and everythings eventual are the 2 stories I read in that book. I was thinking about From a Buick 8 or Duma Key? Any pros or cons to state about those two?

EDIT: I forgot, I've already read Eyes of the Dragon as well

alkanto
02-06-2011, 05:55 PM
You could always read 'Salem's Lot to learn more about Father Callahan. It's one of my personal favorites.

Kidd Ikarus
02-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I was thinking about that. How long is it? I was just figuring who knows more about this stuff than the people pn this board? Nobody. Haha. Wanted to get a census on which would be the best. I did hear that book was good though.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-06-2011, 06:28 PM
I agree with alkanto. That would have the most DT significance. Plus it is just an awesome book.

pixiedark76
02-06-2011, 07:33 PM
If you are willing, I would start with Carrie, and in order of publication date, read all of King's works. It really allows you to see the development in King personally, as well as a bit of how society changed over the last 35 years.
After all, period pieces whether they be books or movies are really a reflection of the time the piece was made.

I am doing this right now. I started with "Carrie" and I am now starting on "The Dead Zone" I wonder how long it will take me to read all of SK's books?

Roland of Gilead 33
02-07-2011, 12:00 AM
why does it have to be aimed at "DT" yes it's a great series, but he's also done good books without it. have you read "IT? that's got a "DT" reference

Kidd Ikarus
02-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Read the first post and you'll have an answer to both of your questions. I would personally rather read one of his books that are connected to DT.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-07-2011, 05:37 PM
my mistake man, i missed that you had typed that. looking at my hard back copy of "DT7" have you read "Desperation" ? that's a great book at least i loved it when i 1st read it way back when it 1st came out. i've also read it a few times since.

Girlystevedave
02-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Read Desperation. Just cause it's awesome all over. :)

Jean
02-07-2011, 10:43 PM
hear, hear

Roland of Gilead 33
02-07-2011, 11:16 PM
oh you didn't name that one sai. i'd say 'The Regulators' but i thought that book was a piece of shit. how about 'Bag of bones" that's a great book or one i haven't gotten around to reading yet. "The Colorado Kid" ?

Roland of Gilead 33
02-09-2011, 11:35 PM
so what didja pick?

Kidd Ikarus
02-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Nothing yet. Still trying to make up my mind. If I go with a King book, I guess its either between Salems Lot or Desperation . . . But I've also heard some good things about a novel called Cloud Atlas. I forget who the author is, but I heard it was good and the Wachowski's are going to adapt it into a movie. Has anyone here read it?

Roland of Gilead 33
02-10-2011, 01:45 PM
do you read "Dean Koontz" if you do i can recomend a couple of his. that i loved. they are older books of his by the way. one is called "Strangers" (1985) it's about a group of people who get together & i believe they had all gotten abucted & the goverment is trying to cover it up.

they are all linked together. as you can prolly guess it's quite a good read. if i have any of that wrong bear with me, i haven't read it since i was in high school man. "Sole Survial" i think the next one is called. about an airplane crash' they did a tv movie of it about 10 years back. the book came out in the 90's i believe at some point. there was i think another one but i forget the name of it.

this is of course you change your mind on reading a "SK" novel.

by the way i forgot what the 2nd "Dean Koontz' novel is about.

Kidd Ikarus
02-10-2011, 03:17 PM
I haven't read any of his stuff, but my aunt recommended him as well

Roland of Gilead 33
02-10-2011, 08:33 PM
his books are to me a bit like "SK" & he's done a shit load of books. if you like mystery "Ed Mcbain" is a fantastic author. & so is "james Patterson" as well.