PDA

View Full Version : What makes someone a great writer?

Letti
11-12-2007, 01:25 AM
There are so many people out there who like writing who would like to live on writing whose biggest dreams are to become well-known loved writers.

But what makes someone to become a great writer? What are those things we mustn't miss because without them we can't write enjoyable things to others? And what are the things that are less important?

Darkthoughts
11-12-2007, 02:41 AM
Well, I think its hard to say because its very subjective. If you asked 20 people to read the same book I'm sure you'd get 3 categories of reviews; good, indifferent and bad. Even though people can be in mass general agreement that so and so is a good/bad author, there will always be readers with opinions to the contrary.

So, for me what makes a good writer is:

*the ability to write believeable characters and dialogue, especially if you are putting them in unbelievable circumstances.

*A good plot that is narrative without getting too sidetracked with prose and unneccesary description.

*A strong ending - I don't mind if its a cliff hanger (in a series), or unfinished in a way thats written purposely to make you think, if its happy or sad - but what really disappoints me, is when the story visibly fades into nothing, when you sense the author simply ran out of inspiration and jotted down any old thing just so it could be finished.

And finally, although this is purely personal - I particularly love the style of SK, Neil Gaiman, John Irving and Terry Pratchett - whereby they tell you a story by starting you off in the middle of a situation where you are painfully aware you do not have all the facts you need at hand. Then, they slowly feed you the information through flashbacks, subtle comments etc...sort of how Pulp Fiction was the first time you watched it.

I think its a very clever way to write, because it needs to be done in exactly the right way, otherwise you're in danger of simply confusing the reader and losing their interest.

Letti
11-12-2007, 04:32 AM
Excellent answer, Lisa.

Storyslinger
11-12-2007, 06:00 AM
Great answer DArk

Darkthoughts
11-12-2007, 06:01 AM
*bows* Cheers m'dears! :D

fernandito
11-12-2007, 09:24 AM
I agree with Lisa's post: being a great writer is very subjective. Since different people will look for or expect different things from a book, what appeals to one might not appeal to the next.

One of the things that I've always loved about King is his ability to relate certain events in his books to everyday happenings. For example, in Wizard & Glass when Roland relates his ability to know when someone is watching him to the feeling of shade on your face instead of sunlight.

Letti
11-12-2007, 09:50 AM
I agree with Lisa's post: being a great writer is very subjective.

I agree and I know it very well. That's why I asked it. Because I am interested in what others think about it.

DTrose19
11-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I think one of the biggest factors in being a great writer is your ability to truley connect to your readers. Not just "oh hey I can kinda relate to that" but really pull them in with great detail and conect there verry heart to the charecters and suroundings. I think that is something that can really make or break something, anyone can have a great idea but only a great writer could bring it alive with language.

CRinVA
11-13-2007, 07:00 AM
Once I get so involved in a book that I become the "fly on the wall" I know I am reading a great writer's work! I am not a character of the story, but feel that I am there, seeing what the characters see, feeling what they feel, afraid when they are afraid, sad when they are sad - you get the point! If my heart rate goes up while reading a passage the writer has done their job well. As I sit in my comfortable setting and I am physically affected by something happening somewhere else, somewhere made up, somewhere I may or may not have ever been to, then I belive I am in the presence of a great writer!

Secondly, after I have finished a story by some specific writer (new to me) and I immediatley go looking for other tales by the same person, to me that writer has transcended to become a great writer. It could be their style, their story, or something else that connects me to them. That happened with King. I read The Stand in 1978 not knowing who Stephen King was. I just read the blurb on the paperback and thought it a story worth reading. Once I finished I couldn't get enought by Sai King! :-)

This has happened to me with King, Herbert, Brooks, Goodkind, Tolkein, CS Lewis, Gaiman, Card, Rowling, ...

Kevin
11-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Perserverance, dedication, and the ability to filter criticism to tell the shit from the shinola.

Matt
11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
I am sure it has been mentioned but loving it and having a passion is a good start. Beyond education, I believe that is all a great writer needs

JQ The Gunslinger
09-01-2008, 07:46 PM
A great writer is someone that can make u actually visualize whats happening and get u so caught up u realize ur late for work.

KaLikeAWheel
09-01-2008, 09:55 PM
I agree with all the points everyone else has made, but for me it's all about the characters. When a character in a novel dies and you feel you've lost a family member, that is talent!

One of the things I love most about King's works are that his charatarizations are so brilliant. Any writer can make you root for the hero, but it takes a fabulous writer to make you sympathize with the bad guys. Many times when reading a novel by King, I'm almost as sad when the bad guys die as I am when a Larry Underwood or Ralph Roberts dies. For example, in It, Henry Bowers was inarguably an asshole, but you still felt sorry for him because King takes the time to flesh the character out and explain his childhood and how he was raised in an atmosphere of hate.

It's one of the main reasons, that no matter how many books he sells, Dean Koontz will never be worthy to wipe dirt from Stephen King's boots. Koontz's characters are either Good or Evil...no shades of gray.

Donna

Letti
09-02-2008, 03:27 AM
One of the things I love most about King's works are that his charatarizations are so brilliant. Any writer can make you root for the hero, but it takes a fabulous writer to make you sympathize with the bad guys. Many times when reading a novel by King, I'm almost as sad when the bad guys die.

I couldn't agree more. I am not fond of villains usually but King can make them so real.. and so complex. So there are some who I do like in his books.

alinda
09-02-2008, 03:43 AM
I think all you really need is a great imagination, and a love of words.

cozener
09-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Popularity...if a lot of people like it, that means its good. Sorry. I know that answer may seem offensive but when you think about it, how else can you guage it? If you write a book and five million people like it then write another that 500 people like...well... *shrugs*

But it is subjective. One man's trash is another man's treasure, so they say.

jayson
09-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Just to clarify, is the question "what makes someone a great writer" or "what makes someone a great fiction writer"? I think my answers would differ.

Assuming we are talking about what makes someone a great fiction writer, I would say it's all in the ability to tell a compelling story. Some do it with more interesting language than others. Some do it with more interesting characters than others, but ultimately it comes down to the ability to tell a story that's worth investing my time in to see how it turns out.

LadyHitchhiker
09-15-2008, 06:42 AM
not writing in the first person is always a bonus for me.

jayson
09-15-2008, 06:45 AM
not writing in the first person is always a bonus for me.

Unless, of course, it's an autobiography. Third-person perspective in that case would be a bit odd (like "The Jimmy" from Seinfeld).

LadyHitchhiker
09-15-2008, 07:03 AM
Exactly! But if I'm reading a fictional story, I don't like it in first place. Jim Butcher is probably the only exception.