PDA

View Full Version : To live well or to die well

Letti
11-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Somewhere quite long time ago we talked about this topic and I loved it a lot.
Which do you think is harder?
To live well?
Or to die well?

Daghain
11-11-2007, 08:35 PM
I voted live well, because in comparison to the span of your life, in most cases, dying takes up very little of your time. :D

Jean
11-12-2007, 12:29 AM
so did I, for much the same reasons.

Letti
11-12-2007, 01:08 AM
Anyway I think if we live well we can die well.

Jean
11-12-2007, 01:13 AM
I don't know. We can hope to die well, and pray for that - the novena to St.Joseph goes, "I ask particularly for the grace of a happy death", and there's a Russian orthodox prayer especially emphasizing the desire to die a death free of disgrace. It's something to aspire to, but not to be taken for granted.

Letti
11-12-2007, 01:15 AM
And what does 'dying well' mean for you, Jean?

Jean
11-12-2007, 01:21 AM
first, it's that old slogan, Death Before Dishonor. I know it's teenagerly... samurai-ish... but very important to me nevertheless.

next, I would like to die without becoming a burden to anyone.

Letti
11-12-2007, 01:27 AM
I see, it's absolutely understandable, thank you for your answer, Jean.

Nerak
11-12-2007, 03:01 AM
I've only done the living part..so that's my answer :lol:

Storyslinger
11-12-2007, 06:05 AM
How you lived will most likely be what you are remembered for, so thats what I chose. But, I find it very important to not die in a meaningless death

Letti
11-12-2007, 06:06 AM
What's a meaningless death like, Brian?

Storyslinger
11-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Becoming something near the end, when you are totally forgotten and dismissed

Darkthoughts
11-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Thats the fate of too many senior citizens I think. But its not fault on their part, more that of those who should be near and dear to them :(

Letti
11-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Oh I see. I thought you meant to die as saving someone else or something like that.

Storyslinger
11-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Yes, and thank you for understanding what I ment Dark, I thought I may have written that a little unclear

Storyslinger
11-12-2007, 06:12 AM
Oh I see. I thought you meant to die as saving someone else or something like that.

No, I think if you die to save someone else, very honorable

Daghain
11-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Dude, I'm going out kicking and screaming. No joke. :D

Darkthoughts
11-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Hmmm, I'm not really sure how to answer the question.

You see I'd consider dying with honor, simply for honor's sake (or to save face to put it another way) is slightly insane. I'm thinking of samurai committing seppuku as an example.

On the other hand, dying with honor to defend a life changing cause or protest a life threatening regime (suffragettes or buddhist monks for this example) is still extreme, but it commands respect.

However, not being in either of those positions, I would say to live well should be the aim. To lead by living example rather than to compensate with a sacrifice.

Odetta
11-12-2007, 02:41 PM

HA HA! That was exactly what I was thinking!!!

LadyHitchhiker
11-12-2007, 04:05 PM
I don't know. Just last Sunday (not this one but the one before) my mother my brother (Raron) and I all went to a mass held in honor of the deceased members of the Knights of Columbus who passed away this year (my father was one) and the priest went on and on and on that it doesn't matter how good a person we are, we're not going to go straight to heaven, we're just going to suffer in purgatory a long time. So, if that's true - which I can't imagine because I believe that God is a Loving God - then I hope I live a looooooong time so that way I'll shorten my suffering more.
I just don't understand that. I'm not trying to start a philosophical debate, but he said that we should all live to die well and that we will only be home once we have died.
I think they are both hard; one just takes less time if we're lucky ;)

Letti
11-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Some priests are very good at scaring the hell out of the people. :(

LadyHitchhiker
11-12-2007, 04:11 PM
True. But if that was true for all priests, I wouldn't bother ever going to church. ;) I worry enough as it is!

Brice
11-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Quite simply...I don't believe you can die well unless you live well first.

Daghain
11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Well, there you go. :D

Storyslinger
11-13-2007, 06:51 AM

Me also, they'll remember me ;)

cozener
11-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm tempted to say that living well is harder because to me living well is about sticking to a code, not compromising your principles, and being respectful and kind to your fellow man. This is difficult to do all of your life. To others, "living well" is more about maintaining a life of comfort and freedom from need. This can also be hard if you weren't born into wealth but even if you are that within itself presents its own pitfalls.

Dying doesn't take all of your life but I've never been presented with the scenario of dying well or dying badly...which to me is something along the lines of what Jean said...death before dishonor (and I don't believe its teenagerish at all Jean...you go bro). Certainly dying for your principles or dying to save others is dying well. I like to think that I would die well if put to the test but I can't say for sure unless I was there.

So...I guess I can't vote because I can't make an informed decision. But its a damn good question, Letti.