PDA

View Full Version : Jonas

Letti
11-11-2007, 07:45 PM
I am interested in your feelings about him.
Did you like him? Have you ever felt sorry for him ever?

Daghain
11-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I didn't like him, which, IMHO, makes him a good villain. :D

He was a failed gunslinger who thought he was a bigshot, and I loved that he got his in the end.

Jean
11-12-2007, 12:20 AM
I didn't like him, which, IMHO, makes him a good villain. :D
perfectly stated http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Storyslinger
11-12-2007, 06:23 AM
I didn't care for the man, nor did he have my sympathy. He choose the path of evil, and thats that

MonteGss
11-12-2007, 06:13 PM
He was a horrible punk-ass, I hate him. Great villain! So ultimately, yes I like him. ;)

Wuducynn
11-12-2007, 06:40 PM
You're all just bigoted against the crippled.

MonteGss
11-12-2007, 07:03 PM
:lol:

Daghain
11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
OMG :lol: Didn't see that one coming!

Storyslinger
11-13-2007, 06:58 AM
leave it to CK

Letti
11-14-2007, 03:57 AM
Anyway I opened this poll because usually I don't like villians. I am not interested in them, either.
But I liked Jonas and his character and I really am interested in his past. How he got those horrible scars. Stuff like that. http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/smiley/shrug.gif

Matt
11-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Jonas was a very enigmatic character for sure. I would also love to hear some of his history as long as it isn't cobbled together for the sake of another story.

The man had to die of course, I am glad it was Roland that handled him.

Kevin
11-14-2007, 01:30 PM
I feel sorry for how the failed 'slingers were sent west. In the end, that was a major problem for Gilead so maybe they could have come up with a different means of dealing with the people who failed.

But Jonas? No. To me, he was born a villian.

Jean
11-15-2007, 02:18 AM
I feel sorry for how the failed 'slingers were sent west. In the end, that was a major problem for Gilead so maybe they could have come up with a different means of dealing with the people who failed.
It was their major problem, but they could never have come up with any different solution, considering the status of gunslingers in their society. The elite was absolute, semi-god-like; the very attempt to join it had to be non-compromising. You win all, or you lose all, no golden middle here. You join that caste of supermen, or you are cast away.

Storyslinger
11-15-2007, 06:33 AM
Well put Jean, Said much better than I could have done

Letti
11-15-2007, 08:27 AM
I think life is full of situations when there is no golden middle. That's one of the main reasons for the fact that life can be very hard. Not because people wouldn't like to have one but because there simply isn't.
I don't say that gunslinging is one of these things but we must see that golden middle is not always a way.

Matt
11-15-2007, 08:30 AM
I agree, some things are absolute. There are benefits but also very harsh drawbacks to those situations.

Maybe if you failed the Gunslinger test you could still be a cook or something?

And btw...do you guys think Suze was the first female gunslinger? Is that mentioned anywhere?

Storyslinger
11-15-2007, 08:31 AM
:orely:???

Daghain
11-15-2007, 08:34 AM
I think she is. Somewhere Roland thinks to himself that he never would have believed the gunslinger's creed would be said by a woman.

And, potential gunslingers didn't HAVE to take the test. They could slink away quietly and become landowners or members of court or whatever. So they did actually have some kind of choice.

Letti
11-15-2007, 09:09 AM
I think it shame itself was so big too that without sending them west most of them wouldn't have been able to stay.

Matt
11-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I agree, I think that even though there was a "choice". Being a Gunslinger that never took the test would be too shameful.

MonteGss
11-15-2007, 04:48 PM
I think she is. Somewhere Roland thinks to himself that he never would have believed the gunslinger's creed would be said by a woman.

Yes, I remember this also. I also think he says something about how natural and "right" it sounded. :thumbsup:
I've said this before but when Susannah says the gunslinger creed in DT3 (via Frank Muller), it is AWESOME. :)

sarajean
11-15-2007, 10:02 PM
i do like him. i never really thought about that question before. i pity him more, though.

i can't help but feel that roland and jonas could be interchangable...had roland been sent west, would he be much different than jonas became? if jonas had bested fardo, would he have become the same kind of gunslinger roland did? (am i making any sense?)

Daghain
11-15-2007, 11:03 PM
See, I don't see it that way at all. I see Jonas as evil, so of course he failed his test. I see Roland as good, so of course he passed his. :D

Jean
11-15-2007, 11:50 PM
thank you Storyslinger! but it's only because I hate the whole idea of any elite so much, it gives me eloquence...

Storyslinger
11-16-2007, 06:27 AM
thank you Storyslinger! but it's only because I hate the whole idea of any elite so much, it gives me eloquence...

And with good reason

CyberGhostface
12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
I think he's a great villain. I didn't care too much for his expanded past though, as attributing the reason for the evil of a human villain to supernatural causes just spoils him I guess.

MonteGss
12-13-2007, 04:33 AM
I think he's a great villain. I didn't care too much for his expanded past though, as attributing the reason for the evil of a human villain to supernatural causes just spoils him I guess.

I COMPLETELY agree with this. I am not a big fan of the "evil mirror" explanation used for some backstories in the comics. It feels cheap to me.

Darkthoughts
12-13-2007, 04:48 AM
It was a bit out of left field, but I'm a sucker for additional canon :D

MonteGss
12-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Psst. Me too. :)

ManOfWesternesse
12-13-2007, 05:15 AM
Yes, Jonas was a great character (well done Sai King), but as said by many of you he was indeed evil.
As to the argument that he could have become a true Gunslinger had he bested Fardo... - I think not. Just look at how easily he was beaten by Roland when it came to killing-time. In the end Jonas was nothing.

jayson
12-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Eldred Jonas forgot the face of his father and I was glad to see him fall under Roland's guns. I do think he was a well-written adversary for Roland's first ka-tet as I liked the idea of them facing a tet led by a failed gunslinger.

Darkthoughts
02-07-2009, 12:50 PM
It was their major problem, but they could never have come up with any different solution, considering the status of gunslingers in their society. The elite was absolute, semi-god-like; the very attempt to join it had to be non-compromising. You win all, or you lose all, no golden middle here. You join that caste of supermen, or you are cast away.
Something that I was glad to see being bought up in the comics was the question of the elitism that surrounds gunslingers. The comics implied that people in latter day Gilead had begun to question the wisdom of banishing all failed gunslingers, because these men seemed almost entirely to become enemies of gunslingers/the affiliation.

MonteGss
02-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Yes, Jonas was a great character (well done Sai King), but as said by many of you he was indeed evil.
In the end Jonas was nothing.

Eldred Jonas forgot the face of his father and I was glad to see him fall under Roland's guns. I do think he was a well-written adversary for Roland's first ka-tet as I liked the idea of them facing a tet led by a failed gunslinger.

I agree completely with these two quotes. :thumbsup:
Jonas was a great character and I loved to see him die at Roland's hand. :)

Matt
02-12-2009, 12:31 PM
I did not like him. I'm not high on totally self serving people.

Letti
02-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I did not like him. I'm not high on totally self serving people.

And did you like the character itself?

Jean
02-12-2009, 12:45 PM
There's always this problem with "liking" and "disliking" characters. I hated Cordelia and Jonas, but I agree they were very well written, so I rather loved them as characters; alas, opposite examples could be given (that is, when you try your best to like a "good guy/girl", but they are deplorably poorly written.)

Matt
02-12-2009, 12:47 PM
That's pretty much how I feel Jean. I believe there is a difference between a well written character (which Jonas was) and a flesh and blood person.

In the second case, I did not like him.

ClicheGuevara
02-12-2009, 04:57 PM
Jonas was a superb villian, so no I didn't like him. I'd love to see a darktower movie with Gary Oldman playing his part.

Jon
02-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Being sent west. Isn't that like a conservative being sent to California?

Matt
02-13-2009, 09:45 AM
Send this conservative to California!

It's worth it for the boobs and weed. :lol:

Jon
02-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Send this conservative to California!

It's worth it for the boobs and weed. :lol:

I would have never pegged you as "conservative," Matt. I thought I was the only conservative who believed in the weed.

Legalise it damn it!

"I reget that I have only one bud to burn for my country."

"One nation, under god, with Liberty, Justice and bud for all."

"Give us, this day, our daily bud."

Ok back on topic. I'm sorry.

Babymordred121
12-29-2010, 03:05 AM
I liked Jonas a lot. He seemed like an interesting look at what a Gunslinger could devolve into after being abandoned by his people.
As for the expanded stories in the comics, I got the impression that they were supposed to be myths and tall-tales, rather than hard and true facts. The whole "broken mirror" thing was probably a pretty common trope among storytellers for explaining away how evil people could get power.

rolandesch
12-30-2011, 10:56 PM
i do like him. i never really thought about that question before. i pity him more, though.

i can't help but feel that roland and jonas could be interchangable...had roland been sent west, would he be much different than jonas became? if jonas had bested fardo, would he have become the same kind of gunslinger roland did? (am i making any sense?)
I agree with this post, a billion times over aside from the pittance part. Although I haven't read any more of Jonas than what was written of him in Wizard and Glass, I do feel like he held the potential to be a force of good, rather than wickedness. In the end, the worst blow anyone ever inflicted on him was the exchange with Roland, where the teen says that he is an exile of Gilead. A failed gunslinger.

The fact is really hurt Jonas says a lot of his character. I like him as a villain.