PDA

View Full Version : tommyknockers discussion

flaggwalkstheline
08-30-2011, 03:28 PM
is there a tommyknockers discussion thread? I dunno, if there is then this will get merged. if not then here it is.
The tommyknockers is one of my alltime favorite books by SK, i know it has a rather bad reputation and he wrote it when he was coked out of his mind but I love it anyway.

so my first question to get the ball rolling (assuming again that there isn't already a thread)
is this: What does Sai King when he says in the introduction that "the tommyknockers are real. If you think I'm kidding, you missed the nightly news." to WHAT is he alluding to? alien abductions? cattle mutilations? mothman? nuclear accidents? william burroughs shooting his wife? (a possible inspiration for Gardner's backstory)
WHAT?!

Merlin1958
08-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Not being a "smart-ass', but I always thought "all of the above". Plus, the Bermuda Triangle, Crop circles, Etc, Etc.

Jean
08-31-2011, 04:47 AM
flagg - we don't seem to have a Tommyknockers thread at the moment, thank you for starting it! One of my favorite books, by the way.

Another question is, why did you put it in Gilead? If there was no global scheme behind this choice, I'll move it to Cara Laughs, ok?

flaggwalkstheline
08-31-2011, 04:55 AM
sure, wasn't sure which forum to put it in.

i think that the ending to tommyknockers might be one of the most satisfyingly climactic things SK has ever written... i just reread the book and that ending...oh boy does it rock

Jean
08-31-2011, 05:26 AM
I have moved it, and added the spoilers icon to the title - we should be able to discuss it here freely

totally agree about the ending

mae
08-31-2011, 07:11 AM
One of my favorites too. I don't understand why it constantly gets relegated to the "worst of" lists of King novels. In fact, in our very own Constant Reader Awards, The Tommyknockers placed as the fourth worst King book of all time, right after Dreamcatcher, Gerald's Game, and Faithful.

Merlin1958
08-31-2011, 07:36 AM
One of my favorites too. I don't understand why it constantly gets relegated to the "worst of" lists of King novels. In fact, in our very own Constant Reader Awards, The Tommyknockers placed as the fourth worst King book of all time, right after Dreamcatcher, Gerald's Game, and Faithful.

Well I think we can all agree that "Faithful" should never have been written, but you're right folks do seem to stomp on Tommyknocker's for no seeming reason. Perhaps the so-so TV movie did it a disservice?

Iwritecode
08-31-2011, 11:29 AM
I just re-read this story earlier this year. It's definitely not one of my favorites. In a way it reminds me a little of Needful Things and Under the Dome with some Dreamcatcher mixed in.

One of the problems IMO, is that none of the characters in the book are all that likable.

The horrible movie certainly didn't help at all.

flaggwalkstheline
08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
see, i like how the two main characters are rather unlikable, it makes for an entertaining read because one still sympathizes with both of them despite all their wrong doings

the part in the begining when gardner gets thrown out of the party after going on an epic drunken anti-nuke rant is specatacular

WeDealInLead
08-31-2011, 05:36 PM
Gardner being a total trainwreck is what made me like him. That however did not make me like the book enough to ever want to read it again.

Killing soda machine? Mr. King, you were really reaching with that one.

flaggwalkstheline
08-31-2011, 05:41 PM
the killer coke machine was badass

Merlin1958
08-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Yeah the killer coke machine was great. I actually thought the whole Alien ship buried/telepathy-thing was a pretty cool premise. It also ended better than quite a few other king books, like UTD for instance.

Iwritecode
09-01-2011, 06:02 AM
There was a killer Coke machine in the movie Maximum Overdrive. I don't think it was in the short story though.

mystima
09-01-2011, 08:05 PM
There was a killer Coke machine in the movie Maximum Overdrive. I don't think it was in the short story though.

really...which version?...I didn't see that one.

flaggwalkstheline
09-01-2011, 09:23 PM
late 80s SK is his "coked out of his mind" period
like piccasso's blue period but with more drugs

Jimimck
09-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I read this about 20 years ago, and haven't re read it at all, and so can't really comment re is it one of his best etc. What I do remember was enjoying it very much.
Also I remember loving it when he made reference to "that horror writer up the way", and that some people didn't like his stories...

I should read it again, no doubt pick up on many things that a 15 year old would miss.

Jean
09-02-2011, 12:35 AM
I love this book to pieces. How the concept of "New and Improved" works. How people change. How easily and readily bought they are. How easily and readily they merge into a mob. I love the characters, especially Gardner - but the secondary characters too, and I find the whole story of the boy, his little brother, and especially granddad one of King's absolute tops.

Iwritecode
09-02-2011, 07:23 AM

really...which version?...I didn't see that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn83VuCzP1k

Not specifically a "Coke" machine but same idea.

costanza
09-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I love this book to pieces. How the concept of "New and Improved" works. How people change. How easily and readily bought they are. How easily and readily they merge into a mob. I love the characters, especially Gardner - but the secondary characters too, and I find the whole story of the boy, his little brother, and especially granddad one of King's absolute tops.

:thumbsup:
The boy matters or nothing matters.
DID YOU HEAR THAT, ROLAND!? lol

Dan
02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Just finished this last night and really liked it. King alludes to The Colour out of Space by Lovecraft in the intro and I can totally see this. One thing that bothered me through the whole book was the use of batteries for power. I'm glad he clarified near the end that the Tommyknockers just hadn't thought of using the AC power. The concept of a species that only improves things is quite interesting to me. Overall, not in top 5, but still high on my list.

Stebbins
02-28-2013, 12:41 PM
late 80s SK is his "coked out of his mind" period
like piccasso's blue period but with more drugs

Tommyknockers was also written during the height of his addiction. I think the theme of addiction is spoken with haunting honesty in Tommyknockers. I agree about having anti-heros made for a more enjoyable read too.

Super underrated book IMO

Jean
02-28-2013, 11:26 PM
Just finished this last night and really liked it.

Super underrated book IMO

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Bryant Burnette
03-01-2013, 12:18 AM
The Tommyknockers represent unchecked and irresponsible technological progress. Specifically, nuclear power. So when King was talking about the Tommyknockers being, real, I assume he was referring to the proliferation of nuclear power plants specifically, and technological progress in general.

For the record, I agree that it's a very underrated novel. The love story is one of King's best, although what works about it is the degree to which it demonstrates the fact that sometimes, love is nowhere near enough.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-01-2013, 03:20 AM
This novel has one of King's most tantalizing buildups. It has been a long time, but I remember through the first half of the book, asking myself "What the fuck is in the ground and what is happening to these characters." I was completely absorbed in the story. I also agree with the ending. So many of Kings endings are letdowns, and this one totally delivered.

Jean
03-01-2013, 10:23 AM
This novel has one of King's most tantalizing buildups. It has been a long time, but I remember through the first half of the book, asking myself "What the fuck is in the ground and what is happening to these characters." I was completely absorbed in the story. I also agree with the ending. So many of Kings endings are letdowns, and this one totally delivered.
yes, this, totally.

The Tommyknockers represent unchecked and irresponsible technological progress. Specifically, nuclear power. So when King was talking about the Tommyknockers being, real, I assume he was referring to the proliferation of nuclear power plants specifically, and technological progress in general.This must be true, although I personally have never been interested in this aspect. It is a very sad book about values, how precarious their hierarchy is in people's minds, how easily our gold reserve of humanity is traded for shit.

The love story is one of King's best, although what works about it is the degree to which it demonstrates the fact that sometimes, love is nowhere near enough.
Oh yes, it is, at least for the salvation of one soul.

:thumbsup:
The boy matters or nothing matters.
DID YOU HEAR THAT, ROLAND!? lol

Amen. Or, in the context of the book we're discussing here, the dog matters - or nothing does.

subie09lega
05-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Currently reading this for the second time. The first time was when it was released when I was in high school. I have fond memories of it but I don't remember a lot from the first read so there's a lot of surprises. Just got past the part when Hilly made David disappeared. Kind of heartbreaking. Looking forward to getting to the end again.

Jean
05-29-2013, 11:39 PM
hope you'll love it the second time at least as much as the first

we need more Tommyknockers lovers here

subie09lega
05-30-2013, 04:53 AM
....knocking at my door...

hope you'll love it the second time at least as much as the first

we need more Tommyknockers lovers here

Dan
05-30-2013, 02:13 PM
I loved Tommyknockers!!

Jean
05-30-2013, 11:24 PM
: bearhugs :

subie09lega
06-10-2013, 07:06 PM
I finished this last Friday (and have since finished Joyland). It's amazing how much I forgot about it since I read this back when it was released.

Roland of Gilead 33
06-30-2013, 07:46 PM
oh i love the book. the puppets coming to life scares the shit out of me if i'm reading it late at night. he he. it's really scary shit. he he. anyways, i also love when Gard is driving the spaceship and we learn what's going outside of the spaceship as well. the only complaint for me about the book i have is that it's far to slow at first. and it takes Gard fucking FOREVER to get to bobby's house. when he comes to her house that's when shit hits the fan.

and the book picks up. other than that great book. some hate it but i love it. hell i even enjoy the Tv film. and i saw it long before i even read the book. i remember when it 1st came out as well back than. but i wasn't reading SK at the time. my brother who's older was. and i think he even enjoyed it. when i watch the film i take it for what it is. a fun little film. kinda like the film "IT i love it to death. even though i know they cut far to much out of the book. i do have a question on that though. on IMDB boards not to long ago someone mentioned originally there was a 6 hr. cut is this true? sorry for going off topic but this is just bugging me that's all

rico567
07-22-2013, 03:21 PM
The Tommyknockers represent unchecked and irresponsible technological progress. Specifically, nuclear power. So when King was talking about the Tommyknockers being, real, I assume he was referring to the proliferation of nuclear power plants specifically, and technological progress in general.

For the record, I agree that it's a very underrated novel. The love story is one of King's best, although what works about it is the degree to which it demonstrates the fact that sometimes, love is nowhere near enough.

Nuclear power wasn't the problem in the book, just as it is not in the real world. The problem lies in people.

Tommyknockers is a good book....although it encapsulates (in King's only real foray into science fiction) the author's complete rejection of a future made benevolent by technology or alien contact. The possibility of evil always lies buried in human nature, just as in that buried ship. We can believe that we are to be enslaved and controlled by outside forces, or exercise our free will. Which is the first choice.

I'm not complaing about the writing, i'ts well done. King's not grinding his political ax visibly- as, unfortunately, he has resorted to in the November of his writing years in, e.g, Under the Dome.

Merlin1958
07-24-2013, 03:45 PM

Nuclear power wasn't the problem in the book, just as it is not in the real world. The problem lies in people.

Tommyknockers is a good book....although it encapsulates (in King's only real foray into science fiction) the author's complete rejection of a future made benevolent by technology or alien contact. The possibility of evil always lies buried in human nature, just as in that buried ship. We can believe that we are to be enslaved and controlled by outside forces, or exercise our free will. Which is the first choice.

I'm not complaing about the writing, i'ts well done. King's not grinding his political ax visibly- as, unfortunately, he has resorted to in the November of his writing years in, e.g, Under the Dome.

I have to give this a re-read, but I always remember it being a good King story. I'll be back after I finish it again. Good points!!!

mtdman
07-24-2013, 08:50 PM
I could not get past the discussion of the main female character's periods and pads, and the fact that the poet character was a huge liberal douche. I gave up on it.

Bryant Burnette
07-25-2013, 02:06 AM
I could not get past the discussion of the main female character's periods and pads, and the fact that the poet character was a huge liberal douche.

Sounds about right that those two sentiments would go together.

RichardX
07-25-2013, 11:44 AM
I haven't read Tommyknockers since it was released. I don't recall it among my favorites. Perhaps my recollection is clouded by the terrible TV movie. I have to give Traci Lords credit, though, for promoting a renewed interest in the postal service. She did wonders for their image. I actually got her to sign my copy of the book. A bit of trivia, but she signs her name Traci Lord sans the "s". At this event, she was using some type of glitter pen and somehow got it all over her chest. My wife and a friend are standing there taking my picture and I'm thinking whatever you do don't be photographed "staring at the glitter on Traci Lord's (sans the s) bosum." Imagine the will power. It was like some weird nightmare. That probably does not promote much insight into the book, but has the merit of being a true story.

Bryant Burnette
07-25-2013, 12:03 PM
I reread the book a few years ago, and found that my memory of it had definitely been clouded by the movie. The novel has some structure issues, but for the most part, it's great.

bmcmolo
10-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Love The Tommyknockers. That's in my top 10.

Jean
10-01-2013, 10:06 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif.html)http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif.html)

rico567
10-19-2014, 12:21 PM
I have lived seventy summers, and would only counsel: If you happen to see a movie first, never, ever let it prevent you from at least starting the book with an open mind. Book ≠ move, and vice-versa.*

*Unless that book is The DaVinci Code (or anything else by Dan Brown), then run away quickly.

Girlystevedave
08-19-2015, 06:01 AM
I'm currently reading this for the first time. I just reached the part last night where Hilly did the magic trick and made David disappear. :panic:
I'm really enjoying this, especially now that the story is spreading out into what's going on with other people in Haven.

Roland of Gilead 33
08-19-2015, 05:31 PM
what's also interesting is the outer limits episode centered around Becca i believe her character is named? it's been a long time since i last read the book and saw the film. but i believe Amanda Plummer played Becca

needfulthings
08-19-2015, 09:00 PM
Amanda Plummer was in NEEDFULTHINGS...Allyce Beasley was in The TOMYKNOCKERS.
http://imageshack.com/a/img673/8217/xuRQ9O.jpghttp://imageshack.com/a/img673/5030/9wWmTl.jpg

Roland of Gilead 33
08-20-2015, 11:56 AM
i looked it up, i was wrong about who played becca here's the page on wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revelations_of_Becka_Paulson great episode too

mae
02-15-2019, 02:56 PM
Here is The Losers Club podcast episode on the book:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/02/episode-106-the-tommyknockers/

Jon
02-18-2019, 03:49 AM
Definitely in my top 5 Kings books. The inventions (their possibilities and possible consequences) captured my imagination like no other book since The Stand. Tommyknockers is probably #3 on my list. It lit a fire in my imagination and I was stoked to see the movie and all the directions the writers could take the inventions. Yeah well...the move might have been worse than The Dark Tower movie. But I am able to separate the book and the movie.

...all last night and the night before...

Jean
02-25-2019, 11:55 PM
never watched the movie, inventions are things bears are the least interested in; and the book is definitely in my top 10. Because of the people, of course, as usual with King, the people and what happens to them. And the concept of "new and improved" is one of the scariest ever, on many levels.

Heather19
03-01-2019, 07:02 AM
So this is a book that I've really been wanting to revisit lately. I read it back, probably in the late 90s, so my memory of it is very cloudy. However I do remember really enjoying it, but it seems as if it's a universally hated book now. So I'm curious if I will enjoy it as much on a reread. Is this just a new trend, because reading through some of these comments, it seems as if a bunch of you also really enjoyed it.

Jon
03-03-2019, 08:28 PM
IDK Heather, I enjoyed it from day 1 and page 1 when i read it back in '87 maybe...you know... the olden days...by candlelight.. from a candle I made from the tallow of a beloved pet. Of course this was before paper. It was a BITCH lugging around 550 stone tablets. But then, that was before gravity so it wasn't as hard as it seems.

Heather19
03-05-2019, 05:17 AM
:lol: Like I said, I remember really enjoying it as well, which is why I'm surprised it always gets so much hate.

jeffingoff
03-05-2019, 08:28 AM
I plan on re-reading this as soon as I can (probably after Malerman's INSPECTION). I'll get to enjoy Serra's artwork while I revisit the book.

I remember liking it when it first came out and there's a chapter called "IN THE SHED" that freaked me out worse than any other King book apart from IT. I wonder if I'll react the same way now.

ratchet41
05-04-2019, 12:30 AM
it's been years since i last read this one and i've read it a few times too. for me the book starts out strong and until Gard makes it to Bobby the book just drags. but having said that i still love the book and consider it one of his best