PDA

View Full Version : The eBay BS Game: Questionable items, Stephen King signatures, sellers

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

lophophoras
12-17-2009, 01:30 PM
I sent a message to the seller and told him that he should contact King and complain because he spelled his last name wrong.

:wtf:

lophophoras
12-18-2009, 04:29 AM
This is the response I got from the seller:

"Check any of his autographs; anywhere, and you will notice that this is how he signs his name. For what reason; I don't know. It was signed not long after the release of this book in Massechusetts or New England, or one of those upper states, in a bookstore. This was a gift from my brother-in-law who attended the book-signing while on a trip."

I responded back with : Stephen KING does not spell his last name "KAIG".

Brice
12-18-2009, 04:48 AM
:lol:

I'm surprised at you people. Clearly what happened here is the seller's brother-in-law made a time machine and travelled back to a time when King was doing an especially copious amounts of drugs, got the signature, and then gave it away. Now the recipient is selling this fine book WITH a COA. A COfuckin'A! Some people just don't want to believe. :nope:

lophophoras
12-18-2009, 05:07 AM
That's got to be it Brice!

I am so ashamed I doubted that seller.

:nope:

:P

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-18-2009, 05:17 AM
... when King was doing an especially copious amounts of drugs...

...which, along with the beer, produced his best works! :)

Brice
12-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Definitely some of them.

Rahfa
12-18-2009, 11:44 AM
I asked where this was signed to the seller and he sent back this in reply:
"...it was signed in a bookstore in New England, or Massachusetts. I can call him when he gets back from his business trip, tomorrow, to be sure. He travels quite a bit, and actually saw the sign about the book signing when he drove by, and thought it would be cool just to go in and see him..." He also mentions his brother has a COA for it too, like that matters.

So...

huh...so he stumbled by some random signing...

...thought it would be cool...

...and the bookstore wasn't content with the signing, but also handed out COAs apparently to!

Room 217 Caretaker
12-18-2009, 04:22 PM
:angry::pullhair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-STEWART-ONAN-x2-signed-1st-w-DJ-FAITHFUL_W0QQitemZ130353349704QQcmdZViewItemQQptZA ntiquarian_Collectible?hash=item1e59aa4448

Not a whole lot to say about this one

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

gsvec
12-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Good Onan :D bad King :shoot:

Brice
12-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I couldn't say either way regarding O'nan's sig, but that King is just terrible.

Patrick
12-18-2009, 10:37 PM
My 3rd grader could fake King's sig better than that.

And he doesn't even know cursive.

willie3
01-02-2010, 07:35 AM
I like how this bidder, k***r, bids to find the high bid amount then retracts his bid.
13 bid retractions in the last 30 days, 2 on the Stand S/L, 1 yesterday & 1 today.
Talk about BS :onfire:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300381019404&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220531837923&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Karl

SkippyD023
01-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Maybe he needs a keyboard with bigger number keys so he stops entering the wrong amount each time. I could see how once might be an honest mistake but to do it 13 times in 30 days, come on!!!

tippy4
01-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Anyone see this?

AUTHOR STEPHEN KING SIGNED GUNSLINGER BOOK ON TAPE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170423890135&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123)

The signature looks good to me, but autograph dealers make me cringe.

I think someone got a good deal.

This is not the signed/numbered edition, but a good deal just the same.

turtlex
01-03-2010, 10:57 AM
Anyone see this?

AUTHOR STEPHEN KING SIGNED GUNSLINGER BOOK ON TAPE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170423890135&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123)

The signature looks good to me, but autograph dealers make me cringe.

I think someone got a good deal.

This is not the signed/numbered edition, but a good deal just the same.

Wow! Yeah, that is a deal. A great deal.
It's not a S/L - those had the number right below Sai King's autograph.

Rahfa
01-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Signed in the same silver ink as the s/l though...probably an unnumbered variant from that edition...

Yeah, good deal for an authentic signature...but can't say I'd be that excited about it at any price.

burial
01-03-2010, 01:14 PM
So what do you thing about it?

Different Seasons (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-1ST-EDITION-DIFFERENT-SEASONS-1982_W0QQitemZ280444630289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Collectible?hash=item414bcd7511)

Is it legit?

jhanic
01-03-2010, 01:20 PM

Different Seasons (http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-1ST-EDITION-DIFFERENT-SEASONS-1982_W0QQitemZ280444630289QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Collectible?hash=item414bcd7511)

Is it legit?

There's something that just doesn't look right to me. I could be mistaken, though.

John

Sam
01-03-2010, 03:21 PM

Is it legit?

Even if it IS legit, I think the current price is too high for a book in such poor condition.

Rahfa
01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
It's def. legit...sig. matches the style from that time, as does the inscription.

But you'd need to spend the money for a first edition to get a dustjacket w/a price...if you wanted a signed edition, it's still not a bad price...not a great one either. The book's kind of beat up, but a decent d/j would cover that up.

Sam
01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
If it were just a case of a beat up looking book, I would agree with you Rahfa, but it looks to me that the actual binding of the book has been compromised along the interior of the spine. The last picture clearly shows where the endpapers have started to spilt and this indicates a seperation of the spine from the book. Plus there is obvious water damage to the pages when you see the edge of the book. It may not be extensive damage, but I feel it's enough to warrant a lower price than it currently has. However, that's MY price. Someone obviously feels the book is worth that much and as long as they are happy with the purchase when the auction is over, that's really all that matters.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-03-2010, 05:58 PM
I like how this bidder, k***r, bids to find the high bid amount then retracts his bid.
13 bid retractions in the last 30 days, 2 on the Stand S/L, 1 yesterday & 1 today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300381019404&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220531837923&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Karl

Just curious, Is it odd that this copy of The Stand is an unnumbered S/L edition. Meaning that it says this is copy #________ of (whatever). But there is no number written in that space. Is that common.

Rahfa
01-03-2010, 06:31 PM
If it were just a case of a beat up looking book, I would agree with you Rahfa, but it looks to me that the actual binding of the book has been compromised along the interior of the spine. The last picture clearly shows where the endpapers have started to spilt and this indicates a seperation of the spine from the book. Plus there is obvious water damage to the pages when you see the edge of the book. It may not be extensive damage, but I feel it's enough to warrant a lower price than it currently has. However, that's MY price. Someone obviously feels the book is worth that much and as long as they are happy with the purchase when the auction is over, that's really all that matters.

You're right...I didn't look closely enough to see that damage...

Still an 'okay' price for a legit signed first, but not one I'd ever go for.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-04-2010, 01:37 AM
Just curious, Is it odd that this copy of The Stand is an unnumbered S/L edition. Meaning that it says this is copy #________ of (whatever). But there is no number written in that space. Is that common.

According to Barry Levin there were approx 20 copies.

"This book was originally limited to 52 LETTERED copies and 1,250 NUMBERED copies. With about 20 out-of-series (unlettered and unnumbered) copies produced to provide back-up in case of damage to in-series copies."

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Sooooo, that would make an out-of-series volume more rare than an lettered copy.:orely:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-04-2010, 05:32 AM
Sooooo, that would make an out-of-series volume more rare than an lettered copy.:orely:

Rarer yes, but no market for it, so its worth less.

Sam
01-04-2010, 07:10 AM
It's kinda like finding a '65 Shelby that was accidently made without the side view mirror. You know it was made and sold like this, but that doesn't change it from anything besides a mistake.

Patrick
01-04-2010, 02:50 PM

Karl
Maybe he needs a keyboard with bigger number keys so he stops entering the wrong amount each time. I could see how once might be an honest mistake but to do it 13 times in 30 days, come on!!!

21 bid retractions over the past six months, 12 within the last 30 days.

k***r (148 ) (http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidderProfile&mode=1&item=220531837923&aid=k***r&eu=XlFi4376fBn5R3kwNWMwZk%2FYjtdkANGqwI7Ej908SE4%3 D&view=NONE&ssPageName=PageBidderProfileViewBids_None_ViewLink )

I'm surprised that eBay doesn't boot this person off the system. I wonder if they've been reprimanded.

(I don't read the small print in eBay's policies, I just agree to them.)

Calla_Wolf
01-05-2010, 01:21 AM

Rarer yes, but no market for it, so its worth less.

But a dream for the unscrupulous dealer. How easy it would be to pop a " 1 " or an " A " into that blank space. Or even " Author's Copy " or " Artist's Copy "

You get the idea

Not only do I say it could be done, I'm willing to bet it HAS been done.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Do lettered copies of the stand have that same page, or do they say "This is letter ____"

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-05-2010, 03:30 AM
But a dream for the unscrupulous dealer. How easy it would be to pop a " 1 " or an " A " into that blank space. Or even " Author's Copy " or " Artist's Copy "

You get the idea

There is a well known forgery of this that Barry R Levin has been trying to sell for years...

"The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition. New York: Doubleday, 1990. First edition thus, FORGED LETTERED STATE. Signed by King and Bernie Wrightson, the book's illustrator. This book was originally limited to 52 LETTERED copies and 1,250 NUMBERED copies. With about 20 out-of-series (unlettered and unnumbered) copies produced to provide back-up in case of damage to in-series copies. This copy was one of the rare (20 or less) out-of-series back-up copies to which someone added the letters "AP" to the limitation page, in an attempt to make this copy look like one of the 52 "LETTERED" copies. The forger did not know that the lettered copies had been marked "A" to "Z" and "AA" to "ZZ". No "AP" copy was ever produced. What we have here is an authentic limited edition, with authentic autographs, but which is a FORGED "LETTERED" state (or an authentic but altered rare out-of-series copy)."

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-05-2010, 03:33 AM
Do lettered copies of the stand have that same page, or do they say "This is letter ____"

Exactly the same page.

Calla_Wolf
01-05-2010, 03:39 AM

You get the idea

There is a well known forgery of this that Barry R Levin has been trying to sell for years...

"The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition. New York: Doubleday, 1990. First edition thus, FORGED LETTERED STATE. Signed by King and Bernie Wrightson, the book's illustrator. This book was originally limited to 52 LETTERED copies and 1,250 NUMBERED copies. With about 20 out-of-series (unlettered and unnumbered) copies produced to provide back-up in case of damage to in-series copies. This copy was one of the rare (20 or less) out-of-series back-up copies to which someone added the letters "AP" to the limitation page, in an attempt to make this copy look like one of the 52 "LETTERED" copies. The forger did not know that the lettered copies had been marked "A" to "Z" and "AA" to "ZZ". No "AP" copy was ever produced. What we have here is an authentic limited edition, with authentic autographs, but which is a FORGED "LETTERED" state (or an authentic but altered rare out-of-series copy)."

:scared::scared::scared:
Wow...look at that asking price
Nuts

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-05-2010, 04:11 AM
Nuts

That's why it has been on sale for years. It will never sell at that price.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-05-2010, 04:23 AM
21 bid retractions over the past six months, 12 within the last 30 days.
I'm surprised that eBay doesn't boot this person off the system. I wonder if they've been reprimanded.

This person needs a kick up the a*se and reported to ebay.

This person's ID is: killbourne_kram

Calla_Wolf
01-05-2010, 05:24 AM
Nuts

That's why it has been on sale for years. It will never sell at that price.

Attempted piracy, I'd call that :pirate:

There used to be a time when dealers set the price and the market. That changed when ebay, and similar sites, took off. Now it's the buyers who set market value, a fact that sellers ignore at their peril. Knowledgeable buyers will always steer clear of inflated prices, and the number of knowledgeable buyers is growing every year. They will, of course, happily pay a marked up price as long as it remains in the realms of reasonableness, but when confronted by silly prices, they will vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

burial
01-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know the seller thecomicmonster (http://myworld.ebay.com/thecomicmonster/)?

He's got plenty comics signed by Robin Furth, Peter David and some stuff singed by Bernie Wrightson...

turtlex
01-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know the seller thecomicmonster (http://myworld.ebay.com/thecomicmonster/)?

He's got plenty comics signed by Robin Furth, Peter David and some stuff singed by Bernie Wrightson...

Hey burial, I can't get to this link from work - but it's not out of the question that he got those sigs at a comic con, or even had a signing. Does the seller list an actual brick and mortar comic shop?

Robin signs for several places - including The Signed Page. Both Peter and Bernie do the bigger comic conventions. And Robin's been known to do one or two as well.

ETA: though this isn't probably the thread to get into details - a signed comic which is NOT CGC graded/certified isn't worth a lot on the comic collectors market.

DavidK44
01-05-2010, 11:02 AM

He's well-known in the comic art collecting groups as an eBay flipper. He has a lot of people working for him who stand in line at conventions to purchase commissions, get autographs, etc., and then immediately re-sell on eBay.

The art collecting contingent get upset because the flippers take spots that might have gone to real fans. The flippers argue that they're providing a service to those who can't make it to conventions.

I haven't heard anything to suggest that any of his material is not genuine.

Sam
01-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Robin signs for several places - including The Signed Page. Both Peter and Bernie do the bigger comic conventions. And Robin's been known to do one or two as well.

ETA: though this isn't probably the thread to get into details - a signed comic which is NOT CGC graded/certified isn't worth a lot on the comic collectors market.

It has been some years since I was involved in the retail side of the comic world, but I know that signatures often add little value to a comic book UNLESS 1) the signer is not a prolific signer, or 2) the signer is dead, or 3) the signer is an uber-famous person at that moment. Case in point, Todd McFarlane at one time did a signing for the HeroesCon. Due to his immense popularity there was a HUGE turnout. So big that signatures were limited to only two items per person. McFarlane signed (four hours if I remember, maybe more) for all the people in line, but no one was allowed back in line. Because of the limitation, those signatures gained by flippers immediately went on the selling floor at a premium. I even saw one seller had a sign up stating he had McFarlane signed books "No lines, no wait". Today though, I doubt those books are worth anything close to the values at that time (1993/94).

I have no idea how a CGC grading would affect the value of any comic since around my way, a CGC grading adds no value at all.

turtlex
01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I have no idea how a CGC grading would affect the value of any comic since around my way, a CGC grading adds no value at all.

Sam - CGC actually has a Signature Series where they send a rep and that rep is with you when the comic is signed and then sent to CGC. It gaurantees that date of the signature and that the signature is real. They're very good investments. ( CGC Signature Series or SS, is a yellow label )

Sam
01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
That's a very good way to guarantee the validity of signatures.:thumbsup: However, what I meant was that none of the comic shops around me deal with CGC graded books. Two of them won't even buy CGC graded books because their customers won't buy them. If I were to take a CGC graded book to either of those two stores right now, I wouldn't be able to sell or trade it for anything more than the trade value of a loose copy of the book in the same condition. That's what I mean when I say that a CGC grading adds no value in my area.

Rahfa
01-05-2010, 08:42 PM
So funny....because CGC is all that sells on ebay...

But...it make sense that there's a difference...if I walk into a comic store and buy some rare/old comic, I'm going to want to take it out and read it at least once. If I buy on ebay maybe it's not as personal an experience, and I'm happy to have it entombed on a slab.

I like the concept behind CGC, but not the actual practice...since the book can't ever be read again it just makes no sense to me.

SkippyD023
01-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Take a look at this listing. I didn't know this book was so valuable. They are supposedly selling for "well over $1000 ... more if signed"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carrie-Salems-Lot-the-Shining-by-Stephen-King-2002_W0QQitemZ170430033468QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item27ae6bee3c

I should feel real happy, I picked up my copy for less than $5. Maybe it's time to sell!!

jhanic
01-08-2010, 07:04 PM
At most, he should be asking $10 for this. I wish I was in the same dream world as he is.

John

Patrick
01-08-2010, 08:38 PM
But, John, he takes Best Offers!

Ricky
01-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Wow. Even it it were signed twice, I wouldn't pay $1,000. For something that's just a regular book, what makes him believe it's worth that much? :|

lophophoras
01-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Wow. Even it it were signed twice, I wouldn't pay $1,000. For something that's just a regular book, what makes him believe it's worth that much? :|

He's probably smoking something.

:orely:

artan
01-10-2010, 06:11 AM
The image isn't clear enough...and I can't understand if it is ok...what do you think about this?

Stephen-King-Under-The-Dome-Autographed-Book (http://cgi.ebay.it/Stephen-King-Under-The-Dome-Autographed-Book_W0QQitemZ390124309359QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5ad5388b6f)

at_one
01-10-2010, 06:39 AM
The image isn't clear enough...and I can't understand if it is ok...what do you think about this?

Stephen-King-Under-The-Dome-Autographed-Book (http://cgi.ebay.it/Stephen-King-Under-The-Dome-Autographed-Book_W0QQitemZ390124309359QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item5ad5388b6f)

Even if the sig is legit it is fugly!!!

Room 217 Caretaker
01-10-2010, 06:42 AM

IMO :nope:

We have our first fake Under the Dome making an appearance on Ebay. It was just a matter of time.

If it is real, King was having a rough night.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
01-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Pure rubbish.

Hutch
01-10-2010, 07:03 AM
I think it is real. Albeit real sloppy. There sometimes comes a point when an authentic signature is too sloppy to resell. This one may have crossed that point. The bottom line is that if I was looking to buy a signed UTD....I'd have to pass on this one.

artan
01-10-2010, 07:06 AM
If it is real, King was having a rough night.
Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Ahahahahha :wtf:

We have our first fake Under the Dome making an appearance on Ebay. It was just a matter of time.
Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Maybe the first one but not the last one I think....
Look this one...

STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-IN-PERSON-UNDER-THE-DOME-1ST-EDITON_ (http://cgi.ebay.it/STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-IN-PERSON-UNDER-THE-DOME-1ST-EDITON_W0QQitemZ330385573582QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4cec83c6ce)

Ricky
01-10-2010, 07:27 AM
That's a tough one. I'd say fake though due to the "g" being too swoopy and "complete". The underline is too long and signature too slanted.

jhanic
01-10-2010, 08:56 AM
I agree, it's pretty bad. I'd ask the seller for more details and proof of when and where it was signed. Without a definite answer, I'd avoid it.

John

gsvec
01-10-2010, 09:08 AM
ETA: That second auction is suspect though, based solely on the 'g'.

None of the signatures I've seen on UTD are that great, IMO. Poor guy's gotta have writer's cramp with the signing tour, plus age, etc., are starting to take their tolls. Here are the 4 sigs I have on UTD copies - I think I might question some of them if I didn't personally know they were legit. Sorry about the crappy pic quality . . .

SK Trades - gray & white

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/B%20-%20SK%20Trade%20Editions/Signed/UTDGr-Sig.jpg http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/B%20-%20SK%20Trade%20Editions/Signed/UTDWh-Sig.jpg

S/L - UK & US

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/A%20-%20SK%20Limited%20Editions/Signed/UTDSL-UKSig.jpg http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/A%20-%20SK%20Limited%20Editions/Signed/UTDSL-USSig.jpg

Room 217 Caretaker
01-10-2010, 09:36 AM
ETA: That second auction is suspect though, based solely on the 'g'.

None of the signatures I've seen on UTD are that great, IMO. Poor guy's gotta have writer's cramp with the signing tour, plus age, etc., are starting to take their tolls. Here are the 4 sigs I have on UTD copies - I think I might question some of them if I didn't personally know they were legit. Sorry about the crappy pic quality . . .

SK Trades - gray & white

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/B%20-%20SK%20Trade%20Editions/Signed/UTDGr-Sig.jpg http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/B%20-%20SK%20Trade%20Editions/Signed/UTDWh-Sig.jpg

S/L - UK & US

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/A%20-%20SK%20Limited%20Editions/Signed/UTDSL-UKSig.jpg http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Stephen%20King%20Collection/A%20-%20SK%20Limited%20Editions/Signed/UTDSL-USSig.jpg

I would take any of your signatures over this one in the auction

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/Questionable_Sig.jpg

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
01-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah, that one's real...but I'd never want it.

Patrick
01-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Clearly both of those auction items' signatures are real. They each come with a COA.

><

Room 217 Caretaker
01-10-2010, 02:23 PM
OK. Real

Let me ask our members this

If you received this signature at a signing would you ask King to redo it or just walk away after standing in line for 3 hours?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
01-10-2010, 02:51 PM
OK. Real

Let me ask our members this

If you received this signature at a signing would you ask King to redo it or just walk away after standing in line for 3 hours?

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
I'd put it on ebay.:P

Rahfa
01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Haha...you'd be hustled along so fast you'd never have the chance to ask again...

However, I'd just take it and be happy...it would have been signed "to" me and that's acceptable.

Sam
01-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Get back in line and try for another sig. Sell the worst one on ebay.

lophophoras
01-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Get back in line and try for another sig. Sell the worst one on ebay.

Ditto...

Room 217 Caretaker
01-10-2010, 03:36 PM
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

All good answers.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

artan
01-10-2010, 07:01 PM
After standing in line for 3 hours...I could think...I could do it better

:rofl::wtf::rofl:

And at the end I don't like these signature....even if they are real...I think.

I know that some authors use STAMPS...
(i.e. Chuck Palahniuck)

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/8773/immaginevog.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/immaginevog.jpg/)

...I think it could reduce the number of fake signatures...
Would you like the signature with stamp for a SK book?

Sam
01-10-2010, 07:12 PM
IF an author is known to use stamps or some other type of mark to guarantee the signature is authentic, I don't think there's really any problem with that. For example, King had several books signed and sold through the Haven Foundation. If the Haven Foundation had used some sort of stamp or permanent sticker to mark them as authentic AND from the Haven Foundation, I don't think there would have been any real problem with it.

Patrick
01-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Ralph's question: I wouldn't think you'd have another chance, but if so, I would get a second book signed rather than the first one twice. Ultimately I would keep the book anyway if he signed it right in front of me - that in and of itself would make it special to me and I wouldn't care what the secondary market thought of it.

I think Palahniuk uses custom stamps because they are cool and fun. It's only a bonus side effect that they also help with authenticity.

SkippyD023
01-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is a legit Bernie Wrightson signature. I tried comparing it to others I found online but they all seem different. Any help would be appreciated.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/SkippyD023/BernieWSig.jpg

The Library Policeman
01-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is a legit Bernie Wrightson signature. I tried comparing it to others I found online but they all seem different. Any help would be appreciated.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/SkippyD023/BernieWSig.jpg

That looks OK to me. :)

Patrick
01-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Related questions: Does Wrightson's signature get faked much? Should that be a concern to watch for? I was not under the impression that his signature adds enough value to items to bother. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Hutch
01-15-2010, 03:17 PM
these are not the original endpages... they have been replaced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-RARE-SIGNED-1st-CARRIE-Tabitha-Tabby-Book_W0QQitemZ380197620335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Collectible?hash=item58858b4a6f

jhanic
01-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Hutch. Of course, look who the seller is!

John

Randall Flagg
01-15-2010, 03:39 PM
What an absolute attempt to mislead. Sorry Flatsigned, but in my opinion you are a person I would recommend avoiding.

turtlex
01-15-2010, 05:57 PM
I sent a question through eBay asking about the end papers - wonder if he'll reply?

Dear Flatsigned - It appears that this book has had the endpapers replaced. The one's pictured here are not original. Your auction doesn't mention this fact. Please advise.

willie3
01-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Check this one out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Joe-Hill-20th-Century-Ghosts-HC-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ320474058322QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMag azines?hash=item4a9dbe0e52

Looks like it is one of the "Only 48 of these special commissioned books will be signed, numbered, lined & dated by Joe" for 'kickbuttbooks'.

Proven by Ralph Mulleins to be FAKE.

Karl

Randall Flagg
01-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Fraudulent.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-16-2010, 02:49 PM
That's one of the fraudulent copies.

I'll contact the seller and explain. Wish me luck.

mulleins
Cumberland VA

Rahfa
01-16-2010, 03:35 PM
What was the backstory of that? I can't find the original post...

willie3
01-16-2010, 03:44 PM

Last page of the mulleins collections thread.

Karl

Randall Flagg
01-16-2010, 06:22 PM

Last page of the mulleins collections thread.

Karl
Thanks Karl.
Over time the last page of Mulliens thread will change. the post # is 209 in this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=9183&page=9).

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-12-2010, 11:09 PM
kinda sad that 8 people have already bid on this.

ocean front property (http://cgi.ebay.com/Signed-1st-Edition-Dolores-Claiborne-by-Stephen-King_W0QQitemZ150413141795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item2305526723)

Sam
02-13-2010, 03:38 AM
Screw that. Even if it were real, I'd need a better look at the signature before I'd bid.

Brice
02-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Strange that he doesn't mention it being "signed" twice.

ChristineB
02-13-2010, 08:00 AM
Even with the bad pictures it looks like a fake to me. *sigh*

artan
02-13-2010, 09:20 AM
kinda sad that 8 people have already bid on this.

ocean front property (http://cgi.ebay.com/Signed-1st-Edition-Dolores-Claiborne-by-Stephen-King_W0QQitemZ150413141795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item2305526723)

I'm not a super expert, but I don't like it too...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-14-2010, 12:09 AM
Thoughts about this sig? (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SIGNED-BEST-AMERICAN-SHORT-STORIES-Book_W0QQitemZ380204877639QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Collectible?hash=item5885fa0747)

jhanic
02-14-2010, 04:22 AM
My gut feel is that it's probably okay, but considering the seller, I'd avoid it anyway.

http://thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=8889

John

ChristineB
02-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Thoughts about this sig? (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SIGNED-BEST-AMERICAN-SHORT-STORIES-Book_W0QQitemZ380204877639QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Collectible?hash=item5885fa0747)

Looks just like the one out of my UTD.

Brice
02-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Better check your bookshelf then. :P

namelessnpoor
02-14-2010, 09:08 AM
This an awful sig !!! A fake UTD !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SIGNED-Under-the-Dome-1-1_W0QQitemZ290402692935QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ficti on_Books?hash=item439d596f47

jhanic
02-14-2010, 09:09 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-SIGNED-Under-the-Dome-1-1_W0QQitemZ290402692935QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Ficti on_Books?hash=item439d596f47

That one IS terrible!

John

namelessnpoor
02-14-2010, 09:31 AM

That one IS terrible!

John

I contacted the guy and told him the sig was fake and he should end the auction, and surprisingly enough he already ended it. Might be a good person !

Patrick
02-14-2010, 09:45 AM
The sig looks good to me.

frik
02-14-2010, 10:08 AM
The sig looks good to me.

And to me.

sk

ChristineB
02-15-2010, 08:36 AM

*bounds to her bookshelf and frantically checks her one true treasure in the collection--out of breath she states:* Oh thank the gods it's still there!

The funny part about your statement is that he lives about 5 miles from me...

ChristineB
02-15-2010, 08:40 AM

That one IS terrible!

John

I contacted the guy and told him the sig was fake and he should end the auction, and surprisingly enough he already ended it. Might be a good person !

Well, I have to say that with the below on the listing I don't think I will ever trust him, since he put this sig up for auction at all.

AUTHENTICITY: I am a member of UACC (Universal Autograph Collectors Club). As a collector, I am very particular of the quality of autographs that I both sell and collect. You can always be guaranteed that when you purchase one of my items, you are getting a nothing but the best authentic autograph. I have built a solid reputation as selling only authentic autographs for almost 20 years. Bid with absolute confidence.

Sam
02-15-2010, 09:41 AM
However, the fact that he originally may not have known it was a fake says nothing. If he collects autographs, he may not be familiar with King's like we are. That he removed the listing and has not, so far, relisted it speaks volumes.

namelessnpoor
02-15-2010, 10:13 AM

That one IS terrible!

John

Well, I have to say that with the below on the listing I don't think I will ever trust him, since he put this sig up for auction at all.

AUTHENTICITY: I am a member of UACC (Universal Autograph Collectors Club). As a collector, I am very particular of the quality of autographs that I both sell and collect. You can always be guaranteed that when you purchase one of my items, you are getting a nothing but the best authentic autograph. I have built a solid reputation as selling only authentic autographs for almost 20 years. Bid with absolute confidence.

He actually emailed me back and thanked me for letting him know. He said after i emailed him he researched it and realized it did not match Kings signature so he pulled the auction immediately. He said he was glad i pointed it out to him and that he was emabarassed for even listing it. He claims he bought it from someone and basically he was duped himself.
Could all be true, could be a cover but atleast he pulled it and hasn't relisted it.

Brice
02-15-2010, 12:24 PM

*bounds to her bookshelf and frantically checks her one true treasure in the collection--out of breath she states:* Oh thank the gods it's still there!

The funny part about your statement is that he lives about 5 miles from me...

Calla_Wolf
03-02-2010, 09:33 AM
This makes me VOMIT :onfire::onfire:

JUNK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHEN-KING-IT-SIGNED-BY-STEPHEN-KING_W0QQitemZ110501262576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bo oks_Fiction_GL?hash=item19ba6374f0)

And THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Author-Signed-Everythings-Eventual_W0QQitemZ110501486625QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU S_Fiction_Books?hash=item19ba66e021) isn't much better

Tito_Villa
03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
They make me sad :(

jhanic
03-02-2010, 10:06 AM
The second one has been removed.

John

gsvec
03-02-2010, 04:13 PM
What was that 2nd one, Ceri? I only ask because I reported one yesterday that was absolutely terrible and had one of those illustrious COAs from a reputable company. Although if you LOOKED at the COA, it wasn't even for the book in the auction! :pullhair: Hoping it was the one removed (but I can't even remember which SK book it was).

And I reported the first one. Ridiculous.

Darkmaniscoming
03-02-2010, 04:19 PM
srry i dont have regular internet access to remove them any more, i will try to do my best to still kill 'em when i can...:(

Calla_Wolf
03-03-2010, 04:21 AM

JUNK (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHEN-KING-IT-SIGNED-BY-STEPHEN-KING_W0QQitemZ110501262576QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bo oks_Fiction_GL?hash=item19ba6374f0)

And THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Author-Signed-Everythings-Eventual_W0QQitemZ110501486625QQcmdZViewItemQQptZU S_Fiction_Books?hash=item19ba66e021) isn't much better

BOTH GONE

<GRIN>

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-03-2010, 05:26 AM

BOTH GONE

<GRIN>

I didn't see them before they were removed, but they couldn't be worse than this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/SALEMS-LOT-SIGNED-BY-STEPHEN-KING-1975-1ST-EDITION_W0QQitemZ280473051595QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAn tiquarian_Collectible?hash=item414d7f21cb

...and the seller is called, "authenticsignedfirsteditions". Cheeky!

namelessnpoor
03-03-2010, 05:37 AM

BOTH GONE

<GRIN>

As soon as i saw your post, i looked at both ads and i reported both to ebay. Hopefully that helped remove them also !!! they were horrible

biomieg
03-03-2010, 08:22 AM
This 'lovely' signed first edition (http://cgi.ebay.com/SALEMS-LOT-SIGNED-BY-STEPHEN-KING-1975-1ST-EDITION_W0QQitemZ280473051595QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAn tiquarian_Collectible?hash=item414d7f21cb) burns my retinas and hurts my brain...

jhanic
03-03-2010, 10:47 AM
This 'lovely' signed first edition (http://cgi.ebay.com/SALEMS-LOT-SIGNED-BY-STEPHEN-KING-1975-1ST-EDITION_W0QQitemZ280473051595QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAn tiquarian_Collectible?hash=item414d7f21cb) burns my retinas and hurts my brain...

And it's not a first edition.

John

turtlex
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM

John

:rofl:

Brice
03-03-2010, 11:54 AM

BOTH GONE

<GRIN>

I didn't see them before they were removed, but they couldn't be worse than this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/SALEMS-LOT-SIGNED-BY-STEPHEN-KING-1975-1ST-EDITION_W0QQitemZ280473051595QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAn tiquarian_Collectible?hash=item414d7f21cb

...and the seller is called, "authenticsignedfirsteditions". Cheeky!

Apparently that's because the seller name lousyf*ck*ngfrauds was taken.

biomieg
03-03-2010, 11:59 AM

John

Indeed.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Apparently that's because the seller name lousyf*ck*ngfrauds was taken.

gsvec
03-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Another irritating fake. (http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGNED-STEPHEN-KING_W0QQitemZ130362718078QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item1e5a39377e) Reported. Grrr

jhanic
03-06-2010, 05:34 PM
That one IS terrible. Also reported.

John

Sam
03-06-2010, 05:45 PM
No, no. It actually IS signed. Just not by Stephen King.

Of course, the seller obviously doesn't believe it.

dubrosa22
03-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Another irritating fake. (http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGNED-STEPHEN-KING_W0QQitemZ130362718078QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item1e5a39377e) Reported. Grrr

:wtf: I'd love to own a kicked around copy of Tommyknockers signed by none other than "Steven Stiger"

Mostly embarassing I feel... :orely:

Brice
03-07-2010, 04:43 AM
Here's the question I sent him:

Do you have any idea how horribly fake that signature is? Do you realize that IF it were real (it's not) you still couldn't expect to get five dollars for it on that mangled book. I'll send you five dollars though to remove this hideous fraud from the internet though. LOL

CurtSeattle
03-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Haha! You crack me up! I will pay you $5 to take it down. :wtf:

Brice
03-07-2010, 09:18 AM
Oh, I mean it. :lol:

gsvec
03-07-2010, 11:46 AM
:wtf: That's why I love ya, Brice. :wub:

Can't wait to hear if you get a reply!

Eric719691
03-07-2010, 11:56 AM
What do you think of this one, would be nice to see the signature bigger as it looks like SK was drunk when he signed it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/stephen-King-SIGNED-Bag-of-Bones-RARE-UK-Ed-1st-1st-HC_W0QQitemZ190377880364QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fict ion_Books?hash=item2c5367eb2c

gsvec
03-07-2010, 12:03 PM
What do you think of this one, would be nice to see the signature bigger as it looks like SK was drunk when he signed it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/stephen-King-SIGNED-Bag-of-Bones-RARE-UK-Ed-1st-1st-HC_W0QQitemZ190377880364QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fict ion_Books?hash=item2c5367eb2c
Ick, ick, triple-ick. Clicking on the enlarge button and seeing it a little bigger makes me lean even more toward thinking it's fake, although there is some semblance to the real thing. Even if it IS real, though, I don't think I'd want it. Did I say ick?

ETA: The sig itself just plain doesn't look right - lots of things wrong with it. But "with best wishes" and the little squiggle are what gives it some possible merit, IMO.

Randall Flagg
03-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Really bad. Pass.

Brice
03-08-2010, 04:29 AM
:wtf: That's why I love ya, Brice. :wub:

Can't wait to hear if you get a reply!

Here's his reply-100% MONEY BACK IF NOT HAPPY

My response (I forget my exact words...this is the general idea though)-You should have taken me up on the offer of five dollars to pull it. Now I'm reporting you for selling this fake. No five dollars for you and hopefully your auction will be pulled for you very soon. Have a nice day! :)

lophophoras
03-08-2010, 04:40 AM
Looks like someone named Steve S. was the book owner at one time possibly.

I have a Uncle named Steve, maybe I should get him to sign a few and then sell them on ebay...

:orely:

wizardsrainbow
03-14-2010, 05:54 PM
I think this seller was discussed, maybe not...but what do people think of the eBay seller camelot_si. Theyu have had several signed King books up for sale. I have found some blatently fake but a few looked very legit. They have two up for sale now...was looking at the 1st edition Shining

gsvec
03-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Shining looks legit to me, but not HIA. Looking at the seller's feedback, though, Greg's (Shibus) purchased a couple of books from him.

Sam
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
The Shining looks legit.
Here. (http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Shining-Stephen-King-Signed_W0QQitemZ320501605095QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAnt iquarian_Collectible?hash=item4a9f6262e7)

I have my doubts about their copy of Hearts in Atlantis.
Here. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Hearts-in-Atlantis-Stephen-King-Signed-1st-1st_W0QQitemZ320501620581QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiqu arian_Collectible?hash=item4a9f629f65)
The "g" looks too big and the "Stephen", I can't put my finger on why, but it doesn't look right.

Here's a question though, did Steve have any signings during 2000 when The Shining is dated? It's a little close to his accident, so I thought the question should be asked.

Fsmdr
03-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Some of their signed book does look good to me too. I just don't see how the seller, if they are a serious collector, could explain owning this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320495162988

Sam
03-14-2010, 09:28 PM
That sig actually doesn't look bad and the fact that the entire page is black would explain why the sig is in silver Sharpie, BUT I still think it's more fake than Pamela Anderson's breasts.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Pam's breasts are fake?!?!?!?!?:panic:

wizardsrainbow
03-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Some of their signed book does look good to me too. I just don't see how the seller, if they are a serious collector, could explain owning this:

EXACTLY! I remember seeing that one and thought sheesh! I'd really love to own a signed Shining, but I'm nervous about this seller.

Calla_Wolf
03-15-2010, 06:38 AM

EXACTLY! I remember seeing that one and thought sheesh! I'd really love to own a signed Shining, but I'm nervous about this seller.

Hey matey - I've just had a look through and I can't believe that Pammy's breasts are fake :pullhair::pullhair:

As for the sigs.......I wouldn't buy from this guy.

Calla_Wolf
03-15-2010, 01:07 PM

Hey matey - I've just had a look through and I can't believe that Pammy's breasts are fake :pullhair::pullhair:

As for the sigs.......I wouldn't buy from this guy.

The Shining does look genuine enough tho....but I'd ask for a lot more photos

Calla_Wolf
03-15-2010, 01:08 PM
THIS (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stephen-King-Signed-US-First-Edition-Book-Desperation_W0QQitemZ260568888242QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZUK_Books_Fiction_GL?hash=item3cab1db3b2) <----- is horrible

jhanic
03-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Reported.

John

CurtSeattle
03-20-2010, 08:06 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-HEARTS-IN-ATLANTIS-1ST-EDITION-SUPERB_W0QQitemZ320504645811QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_ Antiquarian_Collectable_Books?hash=item4a9f90c8b3

Fake sig?

Fsmdr
03-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes, definitely.

Sam
03-20-2010, 08:48 PM
It certainly looks fake to me.

CurtSeattle
03-20-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm learning! I'm really learning! hehehe!

What about this one? I think it looks good, but I would hate to tell someone it's real and have it not be. Being that it's on a Salem's Lot so obviously affects value (a BCE Salem's Lot though, so not too much).

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7550/slotsignature.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/slotsignature.jpg/)

carlosdetweiller
03-22-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm learning! I'm really learning! hehehe!

What about this one? I think it looks good, but I would hate to tell someone it's real and have it not be. Being that it's on a Salem's Lot so obviously affects value (a BCE Salem's Lot though, so not too much).

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7550/slotsignature.jpg (http://img17.imageshack.us/i/slotsignature.jpg/)

I think this one could be legit but I would like to see a larger, clearer image and, preferably, one that included the entire page that the signature is on. While probably legit I have some lingering suspicion of this one.

carlosdetweiller
03-22-2010, 03:58 PM
I found a signed and dated (in the year of publication) copy of SKELETON CREW on ABE. I have long looked for such a copy. SKELETON CREW is one of the few books by King that I do not have signed.

I asked the seller for a scan of the signature and here is what I got. I know what I think but told the seller I would submit it to the group for a collective opinion.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/skeletoncrewsig.jpg

namelessnpoor
03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
I found a signed and dated (in the year of publication) copy of SKELETON CREW on ABE. I have long looked for such a copy. SKELETON CREW is one of the few books by King that I do not have signed.

I asked the seller for a scan of the signature and here is what I got. I know what I think but told the seller I would submit it to the group for a collective opinion.

i don't consider myself any type of expert, i always ask here before buying any signed book that is not coming from one of you. But i would say that is NOT a good sig !

jhanic
03-22-2010, 04:33 PM
I agree. There are too many letters in King.

John

shibus
03-22-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't like it. And this is the closest I've been able to get to YOP. I've been looking as well.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shibus/skelcrew1a.JPG

Room 217 Caretaker
03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
This is an 85 sig I have. Maybe it will help compare:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/Kingsignature.PNG

Ralph

Room 217 Caretaker
03-22-2010, 05:08 PM
Side by Side comparison:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/Signature_in_Question.jpg

Ralph

Sam
03-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Bob, I wouldn't invest my money in that one. There are several flags on the sig. The first is the name King has too many swoops. Then there is the "K" in King. The bottom is very far apart while other examples from that year have the bottom of the "K" being MUCH closer together. Finally, the name Stephen is very loopy while Sai King's name is usually very straight with his "t", "p", "h", and even the "S". That's three major flags and while (with the exception of the entire first name not looking right) the flags can be explained as just a rushed sig, the presence of all three flags suggest a possible forgery.

gsvec
03-22-2010, 06:16 PM
I don't like it. Period.

Patrick
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Perhaps it's real, but I don't like it and wouldn't buy it.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-23-2010, 01:26 AM
King's genuine signature nearly always looks like he signs it "Knig".

Calla_Wolf
03-23-2010, 02:29 AM
That Skeleton Crew one is drivel

Room 217 Caretaker
03-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Anyone want a book signed by Stephen Rug?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Desperation-1st-1st-HB-DJ-HAND-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ270554251385QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAnt iquarian_Collectible?hash=item3efe4a4079

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
03-27-2010, 04:02 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Desperation-1st-1st-HB-DJ-HAND-SIGNED_W0QQitemZ270554251385QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAnt iquarian_Collectible?hash=item3efe4a4079

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
Wow, hard to beat that one!

Hutch
03-28-2010, 07:03 PM

it's both huge and ugly. Some may point out the numbering on the date look good.... but are the numbers the easiest part to forge it thus inclined. The signature just doesn't look right. There is no part of it that would justify a claim of perhaps a rushed signature. I guess the bottom line is ... is this one you would be proud to have in your own collection?

Darkmaniscoming
03-28-2010, 07:28 PM
shyte no doubt.

Sam
03-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

I've told the seller it's a fake (of course he didn't pull the listing) and reported it to ebay. Two people have bid on it already, but the price isn't high for a trade yet. Either way, it's still too much for a forged book.

Calla_Wolf
04-05-2010, 08:34 AM
This sucks (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170396352610&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR4 0%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D170396352610%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1)

Randall Flagg
04-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Pure rubbish, and a bad photo to boot.

Sam
04-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Nope, nope, and nope!!

Randall Flagg
04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Thoughts:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7757/stevekings.jpg

Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-SHINING-Inscribed-by-Stephen-King-1st-pb-edition_W0QQitemZ380218451467QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAn tiquarian_Collectible?hash=item5886c9260b)

Sam
04-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Fake. I've never seen King make so personal a note in a book and not put the person's name in it. PLUS, it's signed "Steve" and so would have been to a friend, obviously. I cry bullshit.

jhanic
04-07-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm just not sure. It sure seems consistent with King's 1978 signatures. But, as Sam says, it is not personalized with the name of the recipient. It seems pricey, too. I'd avoid it without more proof of provenance.

John

Randall Flagg
04-07-2010, 12:07 PM
The 'Drinking' part of the inscription could mean King was a bit buzzed when signing.
"With best wishes for the drinks and the company---thanks---Stephen King January 10, 1978."

carlosdetweiller
04-07-2010, 12:12 PM
I am leaning towards authentic.

Lenny
04-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't know if it is real or not but I just don't think I could spend $750 on a paperback.

Randall Flagg
04-07-2010, 12:29 PM
$750 is far-fetched, but it is an interesting inscription.

Bev Vincent
04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I would say it's real.

Hutch
04-07-2010, 12:37 PM
authentic without fault

Thoughts:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7757/stevekings.jpg

Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-SHINING-Inscribed-by-Stephen-King-1st-pb-edition_W0QQitemZ380218451467QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAn tiquarian_Collectible?hash=item5886c9260b)

EXPLORER
04-07-2010, 01:53 PM
I think the sig looks good and the writing looks like other I have from that time...
I thought I had seen inscriptions before without the name .... however checked several in my collection and all have a name.....so far.
Still would consider it is most likely authentic.

EXPLORER
04-07-2010, 01:58 PM
I think the sig looks good and the writing looks like other I have from that time...
I thought I had seen inscriptions before without the name .... however checked several in my collection and all have a name.....so far.

However too pricey for a paperback.....at least for my collection.
Same seller also has a PB Carrie inscribed $750

Sam
04-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Way overpriced for me as well, but without the name I'm very suspect. The whole thing looks legit, but the lack of the name is what really bothers me. Besides the price I mean.

Patrick
04-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Looks legit to me - and that was my opinion before seeing what all you experts posted. :lol:

CurtSeattle
04-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Maybe he was using his signature to get a girls name.

Have some clever conversation, a drink or two, a little more idle chit chat, hey I see you happen to be reading MY book kind of thing, a quick little note scribbled in her copy.

"Hey! You didn't even write it to me?!"

"Oh, my bad, I didn't catch your name."

hehehe! Just kidding.

Rahfa
04-09-2010, 07:29 AM

Def. authentic...overpriced, but real...the extra words match style from a couple inscriptions I have from that time as well....

burial
04-09-2010, 01:17 PM
how about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARRIE-BY-STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-HC-W-JACKET-1974 (http://cgi.ebay.com/CARRIE-BY-STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-HC-W-JACKET-1974_W0QQitemZ270560174799QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Collectible?hash=item3efea4a2cf)

Randall Flagg
04-09-2010, 01:23 PM
I don't like it. Not even looking at the signature, the 'To Ron' part looks wrong.

Rahfa
04-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Fake...

jhanic
04-09-2010, 02:37 PM
I don't like it either.

John

gsvec
04-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Garbage.

CurtSeattle
04-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Sig looks bad to me too, but weird that you would include the name of the person on a fake one. Why not flatsign?

Didn't check if it was a 1st/1st or not...I guess if it is a BCE, then no worries as it makes it look more legit. 1st/1st seems crazy that you would risk screwing it up. Plus, it would go for more than it was listed for ...$750 is really low for a signed 1st/1st

What's a flatsigned BCE (like one of the old BCE ones smaller size I think) Carrie worth by the way?

Randall Flagg
04-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Didn't check if it was a 1st/1st or not...

What's a flatsigned BCE (like one of the old BCE ones smaller size I think) Carrie worth by the way?
Obviously not a 1st.

From the Catalog:
State: Octavo Trade First Edition Issue Price $5.95
Comments: On copyright page: “First Edition”. Gutter code: P6 on page 199. Maroon boards with black pastedowns. Print run: 30,000 copies. King’s first published novel.

Calla_Wolf
04-12-2010, 03:27 AM
how about this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CARRIE-BY-STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-HC-W-JACKET-1974 (http://cgi.ebay.com/CARRIE-BY-STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-HC-W-JACKET-1974_W0QQitemZ270560174799QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiq uarian_Collectible?hash=item3efea4a2cf)

'Tis a great pile of poo

demorgan
04-12-2010, 07:06 AM
I need some people's opinion about the signature and if its legit. Thanks in advance.
ebay item # 270559834779

Tito_Villa
04-12-2010, 07:12 AM
My untrained eye would say that its legit, i have been watching it but didn't make a bid!

jhanic
04-12-2010, 07:30 AM
I'd say it's probably okay.

John

demorgan
04-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks, i was wondering because I wasnt sure how often King gets to the UK. Many thanks for the opinions.

carlosdetweiller
04-12-2010, 08:22 AM
I need some people's opinion about the signature and if its legit. Thanks in advance.
ebay item # 270559834779

I think it is legit.

Tito_Villa
04-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Could i please have opinions on this ... http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-MISERY-Signed-Copy-June-1987_W0QQitemZ350338876182QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item5191d30316

I Know its not made out to me (i would have only been 2 when it was signed) but i would really like it, so my question is ... is it legit???

carlosdetweiller
04-13-2010, 01:52 AM
Could i please have opinions on this ... http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-MISERY-Signed-Copy-June-1987_W0QQitemZ350338876182QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Fi ction_Books?hash=item5191d30316

I Know its not made out to me (i would have only been 2 when it was signed) but i would really like it, so my question is ... is it legit???

The inscription/signature look legit. I'd ask some questions to find out if it is a first edition/first printing before spending too much on it. It has that "bookclub" look to me although it is impossible to tell for sure without looking for a price on the dj, etc.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-13-2010, 02:07 AM
Signature is good, but do as Bob says, ask the seller about printing.

jhanic
04-13-2010, 03:37 AM
I'd also agree with all the above. Looks legit, but...

John

CurtSeattle
04-13-2010, 06:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/SALEMS-LOT-BY-STEPHEN-KING-FIRST-EDITION-Q37-CODY-HC-DJ_W0QQitemZ230461970361QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiqua rian_Collectible?hash=item35a89a97b9

divemaster
04-13-2010, 06:42 PM
LOL, I wonder how long it will take them to realize they linked to the wrong picture?

Patrick
04-17-2010, 09:39 PM

The inscription/signature look legit. I'd ask some questions to find out if it is a first edition/first printing before spending too much on it. It has that "bookclub" look to me although it is impossible to tell for sure without looking for a price on the dj, etc.
It closed at only $57. Were you the winner, Tom?

Tito_Villa
04-18-2010, 01:48 AM
No unfortunately even after agreeing with the seller that he would send the book to a friend in the US (because he wouldn't ship to the UK) when i bid about 1hour before it ended ebay said i wasn't allowed to bid .... so i guess the seller didn't change the listing allowing me to bid :( oh well im sure i will find something else to bid on :)

Room 217 Caretaker
04-18-2010, 03:56 AM
It's been a while since we've cranked up the Ebay BS meter:

Looks like we have our next contestant in "Let's Play Ebay BS"

:clap: Seller antiqueshere COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-INSOMNIA-HC-DJ_W0QQitemZ380225277934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiqua rian_Collectible?hash=item5887314fee

Pay real close attention to the practice page the seller is saying scribble. Sure looks like the same pen to me.

OK DT members...you set the BS meter.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
04-18-2010, 05:31 AM
BS level:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:wxnNRBca0fnJvM:http://ny-image2.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.19773454.jpg

alinda
04-18-2010, 06:07 AM
lol, good one, the dial...not the sig.

Sam
04-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Total piece of crap.

Even if the sig were authentic (and I don't think it is) I wouldn't have that book in my collection for fear of it lowering the property value of my house.

Brice
04-18-2010, 07:12 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/fatuhiva/bsmeter-1.gif

Calla_Wolf
04-19-2010, 03:32 AM
It's been a while since we've cranked up the Ebay BS meter:

Looks like we have our next contestant in "Let's Play Ebay BS"

:clap: Seller antiqueshere COME ON DOWN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-STEPHEN-KING-SIGNED-INSOMNIA-HC-DJ_W0QQitemZ380225277934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAntiqua rian_Collectible?hash=item5887314fee

Pay real close attention to the practice page the seller is saying scribble. Sure looks like the same pen to me.

OK DT members...you set the BS meter.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

:wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:
Someone has BID on this
What a cock

jemaher
04-19-2010, 12:29 PM
what a bookturd!

burial
04-20-2010, 09:51 AM
here's something new... new because it's a first seller from Pland who is selling signed photo

please look at this on Allegro (http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=1008663098)

150zł (for "buy now") is about $50... Do you think that it would be worth this much even if it would be legit?

carlosdetweiller
04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
here's something new... new because it's a first seller from Pland who is selling signed photo

please look at this on Allegro (http://allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=1008663098)

150zł (for "buy now") is about $50... Do you think that it would be worth this much even if it would be legit?

It is a fake signature.

jhanic
04-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Definitely fake.

John

Calla_Wolf
04-21-2010, 03:33 AM

If it were genuine, depending on the photo, I'd pay up to $130 give or take a few $$

This particular example, however, is only good for burning

jemaher
04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
kindling for sure!

Tito_Villa
04-23-2010, 03:52 AM
Has anyone else seen the Ebayer ... missysbuddy? Im sure she/he has been posting fake sigs for a while now, what do you guys think of this ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270566939645

Brice
04-23-2010, 03:55 AM
I'd say even if that really were king's sig (it's not, of course) that book is in such pitiful shape as to make it worthless.

Tito_Villa
04-23-2010, 03:58 AM
The seller has been making me so angry trying to sell alot of, in my opinion, fake sigs i sent a question saying that the sig was a fake and this is the reply i got ...

IM SORRY SIR BUT YOUR VERY WRONG! I HAVE SOLD SEVERAL DIFFERENT BOOKS AND ANTIQUES ON HERE AND THERE NOT FAKE SIR, SO PLZ DONT MAKE COMMENTS WHICH YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT!!I PURCHASE OR WIN ALL MY ITEMS AT AUCTIONS, YARDSALES , GARAGE SALES, STORAGE BINS AND HOUSE CALLS, THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS!!

Sorry about the caps but thats how the message was sent to me!

Brice
04-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Well, obviously the seller is as good at judging autographs as they are with the english language. Clearly you were wrong to question them. ;)

jhanic
04-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Fake.

John

Tito_Villa
04-23-2010, 04:42 AM
I sent another message back saying that they are fake, end of story and still the seller claims that they are legit :pullhair: ...

I HAVE LOOKED AT DIFFERENT BOOKS ON HERE SIR, AND I HAVE SEEN HIS SIGNATURES! I JUST WENT AND LOOKED AT SOME OF OTHER LISTINGS! LOOKS REAL TO ME SIR! I'M SORRY IF YOU THINK OTHERWISE.. THX

I think im going to report it!

e_taylor
04-23-2010, 05:49 AM
I think im going to report it!

I did.

lophophoras
04-23-2010, 06:31 AM
I reported it as well.

Room 217 Caretaker
04-23-2010, 07:07 AM
I reported that seller on many occasions. Ebay COULD CARE LESS though.

When she posts it, Ebay makes money
When she sells it, Ebay makes money
If the seller takes Paypal, Ebay makes money

Sort of from the movie Waterboy.....Ebay is the DEVIL

But I will continue to report because it makes feel good.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
04-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Under "Report Item," I have forgotten which series of drop-down choices to use for reporting fake sigs. :unsure:

Room 217 Caretaker
04-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Under "Report Item," I have forgotten which series of drop-down choices to use for reporting fake sigs. :unsure:

I use Counterfeits and Copyrights

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

CurtSeattle
04-24-2010, 04:05 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NIGHT-SHIFT-STEPHEN-KING-HC-DJ-1978-NO-RESERVE-/270566958406?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3eff0c2546

Ohhh....a cheap signed Night Shift I see without mentioning that it's signed which means I can get it for a low price....doh! It's your favorite seller!

jhanic
04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Reported.

John

divemaster
04-24-2010, 06:34 PM
missysbuddy is certainly a skeevy seller, but at least on the Night Shift he/she makes no claim to a signature or the book being a first edition (it is not).

EXPLORER
04-24-2010, 09:01 PM
missysbuddy is certainly a skeevy seller, but at least on the Night Shift he/she makes no claim to a signature or the book being a first edition (it is not).
However the lack of statement of having a signature in her description does not overide the selection of signed as an attrbute category.
Trying to evade being obvious..............

Tito_Villa
04-30-2010, 01:18 AM
Looks like missysbuddy is back ... http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-ROSE-MADDER-SIGNED-1ST-ED-/270571249987?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3eff4da143 grrrrrrrrrrr :pullhair:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
04-30-2010, 01:48 AM
Looks like missysbuddy is back ... http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-ROSE-MADDER-SIGNED-1ST-ED-/270571249987?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3eff4da143 grrrrrrrrrrr :pullhair:

Did you notice the section of ripped page. That is where she ripped out the genuine signature. :)

lophophoras
04-30-2010, 03:10 AM

I've reported this person a couple of times now. Her 'signatures' look like they are traced.

I've contacted her and she is very rude and has threatened to sue me if I contact her again.

Tito_Villa
04-30-2010, 03:20 AM
Haha what can she sue you for ... showing her that she's comitting fraud :wtf:

lophophoras
04-30-2010, 03:24 AM
LOL..trust me I didn't lose any sleep over it.

I told her that her books were sad forgeries and I couldn't believe she was trying to sell that rubbish to unsuspecting buyers.

:dance:

Tito_Villa
04-30-2010, 03:28 AM
I think i might send her a similar message :D

jhanic
04-30-2010, 05:00 AM
I don't bother with messages. I just report the item. My father always told me to never argue with fools.

John

demorgan
04-30-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't bother with messages. I just report the item. My father always told me to never argue with fools.

John

LOL. so true.

e_taylor
04-30-2010, 08:58 AM

I can't remember the ebay ID, but there was a woman with tons of fakes about 2 years ago. Her story was that she was a flight attendant and met authors all the time. (And apparently filled the cargo hold of the plane with books for them to sign).

Anyways, I pointed out that she was clearly selling fakes and making up a bad story to do so.

Her response was that she would have them all professionally authenticated - and then sue me for the cost because I was "forcing" her to do so.

Tito_Villa
04-30-2010, 09:01 AM

I can't remember the ebay ID, but there was a woman with tons of fakes about 2 years ago. Her story was that she was a flight attendant and met authors all the time. (And apparently filled the cargo hold of the plane with books for them to sign).

Anyways, I pointed out that she was clearly selling fakes and making up a bad story to do so.

Her response was that she would have them all professionally authenticated - and then sue me for the cost because I was "forcing" her to do so.

Haha i guess that she never got back to you?

e_taylor
04-30-2010, 09:02 AM

haha obviously not.

Brice
04-30-2010, 12:13 PM

haha obviously not.

Surely she'd have crippled you financially with such a strong lawsuit. :wtf:

Fsmdr
05-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Sometimes I wonder....have these people even SEEN a Stephen King signature before?.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-Kings-Autographed-Bag-Bones-/250626548578?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3a5a81a362

Cujo56
05-03-2010, 04:06 PM
probably not the wives, husbands, moms, grandparents, etc. that just want to get something signed by SK for a loved one. They probably have no idea what a SK signature looks like. Those are the people the seller is hoping will happen across their listings.

I also collect game worn hockey jerseys and see this all the time. Fake wear, fake tags, name plate changes, etc. It's all been done.

There's a saying in the game worn jersey community before purchasing a jersey.. "Do your homework".

Until Ebay cracks down on this crap, it will unfortunately continue.

Randall Flagg
05-03-2010, 06:35 PM
It is 'Stephen King's Bag of Bones' and it probably was 'autographed' in 1998. :orely:

Sam
05-03-2010, 07:40 PM
And it might have been Stephen King that signed it, but it weren't our Uncle Stevie.:nope:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-04-2010, 09:21 PM
Check out this awesome signed Needful Things.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-Needful-Things-UK-1st-Ed-SIGNED-/130388285958?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Fiction&hash=item1e5bbf5a06

herbertwest
05-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Sometimes I wonder....have these people even SEEN a Stephen King signature before?.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-Kings-Autographed-Bag-Bones-/250626548578?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3a5a81a362

Could at least go on wikipedia before doing fakes... There is a pic of his signature...

Tito_Villa
05-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Yeah i sent him a message saying that its nothing like Kings sig, as of yet i have had no reply :lol:

Tito_Villa
05-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Oh another fake :angry: .... http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-GIRL-LOVED-TOM-GORDON-SIGNED-1ST-/270574365033?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3eff7d2969

demorgan
05-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Oh another fake :angry: .... http://cgi.ebay.com/STEPHEN-KING-GIRL-LOVED-TOM-GORDON-SIGNED-1ST-/270574365033?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item3eff7d2969
On SK' site...a person was asking about this book. Asked the mod if this is legit. The mod expressed some concern, but eventually said its probably real....I posted that it was a fake. It may be beneficial to the person considering bidding on this fake to hear some more opinions other than mine. Hate to see someone get ripped off.

Tito_Villa
05-05-2010, 12:10 PM
On SK' site...a person was asking about this book. Asked the mod if this is legit. The mod expressed some concern, but eventually said its probably real....I posted that it was a fake. It may be beneficial to the person considering bidding on this fake to hear some more opinions other than mine. Hate to see someone get ripped off.

She/he has posted loads of fakes recently!

demorgan
05-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I know...thats why i thought it was important to make sure that a true SK fan doestn get ripped off by this basterd/bitch.

Cujo56
05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't ask. What exactly is wrong with this signature? For fun I compared it to SK signatures in s/l and for the life of me, I can't see the differences.

I wouldn't buy anything from this seller after seeing what he/she has put on Ebay in the past thanks to you guys.