PDA

View Full Version : Talisman Series Discussion Thread

Bev Vincent
10-13-2008, 07:33 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Talisman.jpghttp://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/Delray.jpg

Del Ray to Publish Comic Series Adapted from The Talisman in 2009

Del Rey, an imprint of Ballantine Books at the Random House Publishing Group, announced today the acquisition of the comic book and graphic novel rights to The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. The creative team on the project will be announced soon, and the first issue of the monthly comic is planned for late summer/early fall 2009.

Originally published in 1984, The Talisman is the story of a young teen named Jack Sawyer, who can save his dying mother only by retrieving a magical talisman. To find it he must cross back and forth between our world and the frightening and dangerous landscape of its “twinner” counterpart. The hardcover edition, published by Viking, spent 12 weeks in the #1 slot on the New York Times list. Both The Talisman and its sequel, Black House, are in print with Ballantine Books. Television rights to The Talisman are under development by Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy.

“Illustrating The Talisman in the depth that it deserves will involve at least 24 issues of comics, probably more,” said Del Rey Editor in Chief, Betsy Mitchell, who acquired the project from agent Ralph Vicinanza. “It’s a tremendously visual story, filled with images that burn in memory long after the book has been closed.”

King’s Dark Tower comics consistently inhabit the top of the comic book sales charts, and his recent series, The Dark Tower: The Long Road Home was the top-selling comic book in North America in March 2008.

Read the article on www.newsarama.com (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/100813-Talisman-GN.html)

Click Here to Join the Discussion (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=266873#post266873)

Daghain
10-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Oooh, interesting!

Nerak
10-13-2008, 09:05 AM
what is going on with this?!?! How many more books are they going to make into Comics???

Brice
10-13-2008, 09:07 AM
All of them. :D

Daghain
10-13-2008, 09:26 AM
It's starting to look that way, isn't it? Of course, since the sales of the Dark Tower comics are that good, I can see why they'd want to.

Rjeso
10-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Awesome! I :heart: The Talisman so much. I'm way excited for this. :D

Girlystevedave
10-13-2008, 11:49 AM
I am very f*cking excited over this one!! :)

jhanic
10-13-2008, 12:15 PM
I think my basic problem with these "reprints" of King's material is the same that I have with the movies--I have a definite picture in my mind of the events of the book while I'm reading it, and almost never is that picture the same as the one in the movies or graphic novels. The only real exception that comes to mind is The Green Mile--that was a GREAT movie. Of course, I don't have that problem with the current Dark Towers comics series because those are NEW stories, not reprints of the existing works.

John

Aaron
10-13-2008, 01:12 PM
I edited the first post to format it for the comics news page. Thanks for posting it Bev! :D

herbertwest
10-13-2008, 03:05 PM
For once, it's not Marvel at the helm...

Patrick
10-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Best part of that announcement:

“Illustrating The Talisman in the depth that it deserves will involve at least 24 issues of comics, probably more,” said Del Rey Editor in Chief...

:nana:

Daghain
10-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Good point. It will be interesting to see how Del Rey does with this. :D

Patrick
10-13-2008, 10:20 PM

Good point. It will be interesting to see how Del Rey does with this. :D
Given the attitude in that quote above, I have faith that they'll do it right. If they don't, they know they'll hear about it!

Daghain
10-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Well, you can be *I'll* be a vocal complainer if they can't manage to do it right. :lol:

Randall Flagg
10-14-2008, 06:51 AM
I have to agree with John's take on this.

CRinVA
10-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Well, I too have expectations built in from reading the stories first but I always disassociate the written word from the word presented on screen and try to enjoy each on their own merit! Sometimes I do not mind having two disticnt "versions" of a story - that in inteslf can be fun.

Have you ever read a story and wondered why it went in a specific direction when you thought a better direction would be ..... something else. To me that's the same. There is no way that the story will be the same in three different types of media and I will judge each on its own merits.

I will say that all of these comics are breaking the bank - slowly but surely! Damn Variants!!!!!!

One last thing - the comics is a nice way to "re-visit" a story for me. Will I ever have the time (or make the time) to re-read the Unedited version of The Stand? It may be some time as there are always other books to read for the first time and there simply are not enough hours inthe day. Reading The Stand in comic form allows me to "re-vist' that story in a manner that fits will my allotted reading time! Just my humble opinion of course! :-)

Dedereadssk1
10-14-2008, 10:39 AM
I really enjoyed THE TALISMAN and i think Del Rey will do an excellent job.

CyberGhostface
10-14-2008, 10:42 AM
From Liljas-library...

Del Rey, an imprint of Random House US’ Ballantine Books, has acquired the comic book and graphic novel rights to The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub. A monthly comic, with “at least 24 issues”, is planned for late summer/early fall 2009.

“Illustrating The Talisman in the depth that it deserves will involve at least 24 issues of comics, probably more,” said Del Rey editor in chief, Betsy Mitchell, who acquired the project from agent Ralph Vicinanza. “It’s a tremendously visual story, filled with images that burn in memory long after the book has been closed.”

Would have liked to see Marvel do this and have authorization from King...but I guess "strike while the iron is hot" and all that.

Bev Vincent
10-14-2008, 11:06 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=267600#post267600

Matt
10-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Yep, we should probably merge these. :clap:

Aaron
10-14-2008, 11:29 AM
I agree with CRinVA. I like the different takes on a story that become available. A good example is The Stand series. For me, the mini-series adaptation was just horrible. Specifically, there were certain characters that just didnt do it for me--I dont feel they did the written characters justice. But now that the comics are out I have a much more pleasant portrayal of the characters to go from. But, regardless, the original stories will always be there, and movies or comics will never change that.

I'm also very excited about this, since I am about 3/4 of the way through The Talisman right now, and loving it.

Daghain
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Yes, we should. :D

CRinVA
10-14-2008, 01:03 PM
The talisman has always been in my SK Top Ten - its just a teriffic story! So goodin fact that when I attended The Shining Masquerade Ball held at the Stanley Hotel in Colorado every year on Halloween....well I went as Wolf, one of my favorite King characters!

Right Here, Right Now

Aaron
10-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Do you have pictures???

:excited:

nt07077
10-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Im just 100 pages into it right now and it's a very good story....hopefully they do as good of a job that SK did.......

herbertwest
10-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Do you have pictures???

yeah !!! :excited:

Frunobulax
10-14-2008, 11:19 PM
All I can say is please please please don't let this fuck up the book in any way. I have high hopes here.

Nerak
10-15-2008, 05:46 AM
Do you have pictures???

yeah !!! :excited:

me too me too :excited::excited:

Brice
10-15-2008, 05:50 AM
All I can say is please please please don't let this fuck up the book in any way. I have high hopes here.

It can't fuck up the book. Even if it's abysmal the book will still be great! :D

Daghain
10-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Good point!

herbertwest
10-15-2008, 07:26 AM

It can't fuck up the book. Even if it's abysmal the book will still be great! :D

if it's fucked up it wont get the approval ;-)

LadyHitchhiker
10-18-2008, 03:09 PM
:panic: :excited: OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Hannah
10-28-2008, 09:08 AM

Makes sense to me.

I'm so excited about this. :cool: my fave book, my fave characters...

Patrick
02-02-2009, 02:07 PM
DEL REY ANNOUNCES CREATIVE TEAM ON STEPHEN KING AND PETER STRAUB’S THE TALISMAN

NEW YORK, NY – February 2, 2009 – Del Rey, an imprint of Ballantine Books at the Random House Publishing Group, announced today the adaptor and artist on the comic book and graphic novel versions of The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

The book will be penciled and inked by Tony Shasteen, who has been an illustrator since 1995. His clients have included Coca-Cola, Nascar, Hasbro, DC Comics, Wildstorm, Top Cow, Dark Horse, Virgin, Boom Studios, and Image Comics, among many others. Tony illustrated Image Comic’s The Occult Crimes Taskforce (The O.C.T.), co-created by David Atchison and Rosario Dawson. Film rights to The O.C.T. are in development with Dimension Films.

It will be scripted by Robin Furth, who co-writes Marvel’s bestselling Dark Tower comics taking place in King’s Dark Tower Universe. The Gunslinger Born – the first of the Dark Tower series – was nominated for both an Eisner and a Harvey award. Robin has written “Satana and The Electric Pentacle” for Marvel’s Legion of Monsters and has adapted Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Lords of Avalon series to comic book form. She worked as Stephen King’s research assistant between 2000 and 2004 and continues to do freelance work for the Master of Horror.

Lettering and project management will be handled by Dabel Brothers Publishing. The first issue of the monthly comic is planned for early fall 2009.

Originally published in 1984, The Talisman is the story of a young teen named Jack Sawyer, who can save his dying mother only by retrieving a magical talisman. To find it he must cross back and forth between our world and the frightening and dangerous landscape of its “twinner” counterpart. Both The Talisman and its sequel, Black House, are in print with Ballantine Books. Television rights to The Talisman are under development by Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy.

ABOUT THE AUTHORS:

Stephen King is the author of more than fifty books, all of them worldwide bestsellers. He is the recipient of the 2003 National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters.

Peter Straub is the author of 17 novels which have been translated into more than 20 languages. He has won numerous awards for his work, including the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel, for Koko.

ABOUT DEL REY:

Del Rey Books (http://www.delreybooks.com) was founded in 1977 as an imprint of Ballantine Books, a division of the Random House Publishing Group, under the guidance of the renowned Judy-Lynn del Rey and her husband, Lester del Rey. Del Rey publishes the best of modern fantasy, science fiction, and alternate history. No stranger to comics, Del Rey launched Del Rey Manga in 2004 in conjunction with Japanese publisher Kodansha, and quickly began to acquire original graphic novel projects as well. Current and upcoming projects include a four-color graphic novel developed with pop singer Avril Lavigne, Make 5 Wishes; the graphic novel In Odd We Trust, by Dean Koontz and Queenie Chan; the first-ever graphic novel set in the world of Terry Brooks' Shannara universe, Dark Wraith of Shannara; original manga starring Marvel characters in X-Men: Misfits and Wolverine: Prodigal Son; and a four-color original graphic novel set in the Outlander universe, scripted by author Diana Gabaldon herself.

Chap
02-02-2009, 02:27 PM
sweet! reading The Talisman as we speak :)
looking forward to this, thanks for the info Patrick!

Daghain
02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't know how happy I am Furth is writing it, though.

inertia1215
02-02-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm excited to see it in comic book form, we'll see how Furth does, i'll be picking it up regardless.

gsvec
02-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Now I must begin the debate about getting all of the variants. This comic stuff is starting to add up to some bigger bucks than I'd originally intended . . . :orely:

Aaron
02-02-2009, 04:01 PM
I am glad to hear that they have a tentative release in sight, but like Dags, I'm not sure how thrilled I am about Furth scripting. But she did do a pretty damn good job with The Gunslinger Born, which was also an adaptation, so it might be that the new material just isn't her strong suit. She's not bad with good material, I just havent seen a lot of that in Treachery. I just hope to hell they don't use that annoying narrator "voice" they've used throughout the DT comics.

I'm also pretty glad that Marvel doesnt have their hands on this one. I'd like to see a different publisher's take.

jayson
02-02-2009, 04:05 PM
I am with Dags and Aaron in having a bit of trepidation over Furth as writer. I will give her the benefit of the doubt until I see an actual issue, but I will be very harsh in my criticism should she deviate from the text material all that much. If she sticks to adapting and not re-writing it could be great. Otherwise, not so much. I'm looking forward to finding out.

Nanidesuka
02-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Ooh, i can't wait for this. I had a blast reading The Talisman, it'll be exciting to see it in comic form.

Would it be reasonable to hope that they would turn its sequel, Black House, into a comic as well?

Merlin1958
02-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Just an opinion but, Robin has done pretty well so far in the Gunslinger series (and I am not a comic kind of guy) and coupled with her work as SK's stenographer (sic) and DT biographer, if the story is told in a "DT" context we could very well be in for a treat.

Of course we could also get royally F**cked but, I'm for giving her the opportunity!!:rock::rock::rock::rock:

Merlin1958
02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Ooh, i can't wait for this. I had a blast reading The Talisman, it'll be exciting to see it in comic form.

Would it be reasonable to hope that they would turn its sequel, Black House, into a comic as well?

BLACK HOUSE is "Da Bomb" and should have somehow been a DT book IMHO!!:pirate::pirate:

turtlex
02-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Yes, I think it's over in the Oracle as well, Gretchen.

I'll be grabbing this one, try not to be surprised. :P

Daghain
02-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I am with Dags and Aaron in having a bit of trepidation over Furth as writer. I will give her the benefit of the doubt until I see an actual issue, but I will be very harsh in my criticism should she deviate from the text material all that much. If she sticks to adapting and not re-writing it could be great. Otherwise, not so much. I'm looking forward to finding out.

This, exactly.

Aaron
02-03-2009, 08:42 AM
I think there is a way that we can have one thread in both places. If you would like me to give that a try, Pam...

Matt
02-03-2009, 08:52 AM
I think we could create one as a link to the other in situations like this.

I can understand wanting comic folks to see it but the thread could be a simple re direct.

turtlex
02-03-2009, 08:56 AM
I think there is a way that we can have one thread in both places. If you would like me to give that a try, Pam...

Ohhhh, I think that would be good.

I think the discussion stuff should be a Comic Tower thingy.

Aaron
02-03-2009, 08:57 AM
My main concern, actually, is that she is going to be scripting it rather than just condensing existent story into issues, as she did with Gunslinger Born. Scripting is an entirely different monster. I am not sure how Del Ray does their scripts, but since they havent got a huge background in comics there is a good chance they are going to let her script it they way that she likes, which is the Marvel "plot-first" style. That style is great for the art, but not so great for the story-telling side. But then again, she doesnt have any experience writing "full script" comics in the DC style, so I would be worried if she tried that, too, as it can be a complicated method of telling the story; much more cinematic. So since I am worried either way, I am just going to put my faith in the editors and hope for the best.

Aaron
02-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Cool. Basically, I was talking about the same thing as Matt. One would be a redirect to the other. I think we can keep the discussion in the Comic Tower, and put the redirect in the news forum.

Matt
02-03-2009, 09:03 AM
That totally works for me. If we merge the threads it will take the first chrono post between the two of them.

But I don't see where that is a problem in this case. :grouphug:

Aaron
02-03-2009, 09:09 AM
And done is done. I deleted one of Patrick's posts, so that we wouldn't have two posts with the same press release. We should be good now.

Daghain
02-03-2009, 09:12 AM
:clap:

Brainslinger
02-03-2009, 06:02 PM
She's not bad with good material, I just havent seen a lot of that in Treachery. I just hope to hell they don't use that annoying narrator "voice" they've used throughout the DT comics.

I think Peter David is the one responsible for the narrator's voice. Furth is writes the outlines for the various stories (hence the plot is hers, bypassed by King) but the scripting is David.

Either way, I doubt they'd use a similar narrator's voice in The Talisman. What with the story starting in America, and being mainly from the point of view of an American character. The territories folken will no doubt have archaic speech, but hopefully that'll be taken straight out of the novel.

I doubt I'll get these though, although I'm curious how they depict the creatures like Wolf and the goat guy. I LOVE The Talisman, I just like to get new material I haven't read yet. (I made an exception for Gunslinger Born mind you. I'm glad I did, actually.)

turtlex
02-04-2009, 03:48 AM
It's just too bad we all have to wait until FALL 2009 to get our first issue !

Aaron - thanks for the merging !

Glass
02-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi All!

I met, laughed with, and interviewed The Talisman adaptation team of Robin Furth and artist Tony Shasteen over last weekend at the NY Comic Con. Lots of fun. Really cool people who have a passion for everything Stephen King.

The photo below was taken at the Random House party last Saturday night:

http://www.signedpage.com/ebay/furth-shasteen.jpg

The video interviews will be posted on Suvudu.com (http://www.suvudu.com) in the coming weeks. I'll let you know but visit anyway. And we have some surprises for you all as well! Stay tuned!

Shawn

turtlex
02-12-2009, 10:49 PM
Hey Shawn - Wow, that's quite an interview.... care to share some highlights?!?

Glass
02-13-2009, 11:03 AM
I didn't ask any hard questions, or at least no fun questions. I just wanted to talk about the project a bit to launch what we are planning on doing.

Believe it or not, you all are going to be the real interviewers. We are putting together two sections called ASK ROBIN and ASK TONY, similar to what I do on the Terry Brooks website called ASK TERRY.

In short, every month, you all, the fans, will be able to send two questions apiece. I will go through those questions and select between three and five questions for both Robin and Tony. Obviously Robin will answer plot and writing questions and Tony will answer the art questions. Then Suvudu.com will post the questions and answers, running up every month until at least to the 2009 SDCC, where I will probably interview them more in depth again.

I will post more about the ASK ROBIN/TONY and inform Lilja and Stephen King.com about it when I have it set up properly. I hope to start in March.

As for what I can tell you that is not in the interview? There will be something unique released at SDCC.

I'll let Robin and Tony talk about the more fun aspects in their interviews. :)

Shawn

Matt
02-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Robin is beautiful :wub:

Merlin1958
02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
You know, one possible benefit from all these comic adaptions could be that they lend themselves to eventual Movie treatments (I would think good treatments as well) because the story/screenplay is already story boarded for the Movie industry which should help to cut costs, improve screenplay adaption and ultimately lead to a better production down the road.....Just a thought.

Case in point would be Watchmen (Which I am sure will be excellent w/o even seeing it yet) 300, Dark Knight, Iron Man etc etc. Giving the stories a comic treatment helps to define the visual look, feel and tempo of the story PRIOR to Hollywood getting their hands on them and mucking them up!!

The recent phenomenal success of the "Superhero" and Fantasy movies can't hurt either.

Just MHO :orely::orely:

Glass
02-13-2009, 09:12 PM
You'd think so, Merlin! Let's hope Spielberg is reading our comments. :)

Glass
02-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi All,

Here is the first of a long interview I hope to conduct -- with your help -- with Robin Furth: http://www.suvudu.com/2009/02/nycc-interview-robin-furth.html

More to come soon. :) What do you think?

And if you say, "You didn't ask any fun or hard questions?" you are right. Because my plan is to have you all ask them. :)

More on that soon!

Shawn

Glass
02-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Okay, here is the beginning of the rolling interview with Robin and Tony conducted by YOU, the fans!

http://www.suvudu.com/2009/02/the-talisman-fan-qa-w-robin-furth-tony-shasteen.html

Have at it! Ask your questions about anything related to Dark Tower and The Talisman. And at least try to ask about the Talisman. haha

Shawn

Patrick
02-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Great stuff, Shawn, on your earlier posted links. I look forward to checking out the latest weblink.

Merlin, good point about the storyboarding.

Here is an announcement regarding the comic book, courtesy of Lilja's Library:

Talisman prequel

Before The Talisman comic starts there will be an issue 0. This will be an episode that does not appear in the book itself, but serves as a prequel to the whole story.

More info to come…

inertia1215
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Great stuff, Shawn, on your earlier posted links. I look forward to checking out the latest weblink.

Merlin, good point about the storyboarding.

Here is an announcement regarding the comic book, courtesy of Lilja's Library:

Talisman prequel

Before The Talisman comic starts there will be an issue 0. This will be an episode that does not appear in the book itself, but serves as a prequel to the whole story.

More info to come…

:excited::excited: Yeah that ^^^^ :excited::excited:

Glass
02-24-2009, 03:07 PM

Seriously, Issue #0 is very cool. It will be 16 pages and the script for those pages were approved by editor in chief Betsy Mitchell, Stephen King and Peter Straub a week before NY Comic Con.

Just one more reason to go to San Diego Comic Con this year! I just hope Robin and Tony go!

And there is something else planned with The Talisman, something special, although I can't talk about it. It may or may not happen, so we shall see.

Be sure to start asking your questions of Robin and Tony!

Shawn

turtlex
02-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Yup. I just emailed my CGC guy to add issue 0 to my CGC list. Hopefully he'll be able to get it... though 16 pages is very skimpy!

Glass
02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Most Comic Con giveaways are skimpy. I'm actually surprised it's 16 pages! At least it's better -- and cooler -- than The Dark Tower Sketchbook. :)

I'll actually try to get some of those issues for The Signed Page if I can. Help those of you who can't go to Comic Con. How does that sound?

Patrick
02-25-2009, 12:39 AM
Sign me up, Shawn!

What do you all think? Is this Issue 0 going to be available only at SDCC? Or will San Diego be its debut followed by availability in comic book shops everywhere as a promo item (like the DT and The Stand sketchbooks were)?

I would think the publisher would want to drum up wide range of interest to promote sales in the places where those sales will actually occur, but I'm no expert in these matters.

herbertwest
02-25-2009, 02:29 AM

Seriously, Issue #0 is very cool. It will be 16 pages and the script for those pages were approved by editor in chief Betsy Mitchell, Stephen King and Peter Straub a week before NY Comic Con.

Shawn

So I guess that this #0 wouldnt be written by Steve : could have been an interesting idea...

turtlex
02-25-2009, 03:29 AM
Are we sure that issue 0 is a giveaway?!?!

I just read "issue".

Shawn - Be sure to post the link for the signed ones if you're able to score any...

... ( when do the others ship, btw )

herbertwest
02-25-2009, 10:20 AM
issue #0 would be given away? :drool:

Bev Vincent
02-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Possibly, like the DT sketchbook was before The Gunslinger Born launched.

turtlex
02-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, but the DT Sketchbook wasn't numbered, or considered part of the Gunslinger Born arc.

When I read Issue 0, I just assumed a regular issue. I took the 0 to indicate the "prequel" aspect of the story.

Aaron
02-25-2009, 04:06 PM
I am surprised that no one has pondered yet upon the obvious question: what fucking prequel?

I mean I guess they could go into some of the backstory with Phil Sawyer and Bloat, but that would probably be better served in the main narrative, as done in the novel. So what sixteen pages of story will we get? New material written special for the comic? I certainly hope not; this is a fan favorite that is not to be added to or fucked with.

/rant

Brainslinger
02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
It depends on how a person looks at it. Many who have read the book would choose not to get the comics because a) they already know the story and b) they prefer the images in their own mind and don't want other art to interfere with it. New material could be a hook for such people.

I'm undecided. I wasn't going to get the Talisman for reasons above, but I'll admit I'm curious as to what 0 has. On the other hand, I like the way the Talisman unfolds, starting in the real world (so to speak) then introducing us to the territories from there. I'm a little concerned that the prequel will spoil that. (That being said, for those of us who have read the novel already, this isn't much of an issue.)

Glass
02-25-2009, 07:27 PM
... ( when do the others ship, btw )
The Dark Tower hardcovers signed by Robin won't ship until after Treachery is released, in April sometime. So there is some time yet.

As for these questions, why aren't you guys going to the link ASK ROBIN (http://www.suvudu.com/2009/02/the-talisman-fan-qa-w-robin-furth-tony-shasteen.html) and asking her? haha That's why I started it! ;)

About Issue #0, usually those are giveaways to garner interest in the project, especially when they are released for a specific comic con like SDCC. But I could be wrong. Ask Robin. I'll ask Del Rey. And we'll see.

turtlex
02-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Shawn - We eagerly await anything you can find out!

( Oops, April - gotcha! Thanks! )

Glass
02-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Shawn - We eagerly await anything you can find out!
I found out that Del Rey does not know whether or not Issue #0 will be on sale in comic book stores or a giveaway at the SDCC. They are working on the numbers of it to see if it is feasible. I bet I'll know more by June, a month before the convention. :orely:

turtlex
02-26-2009, 11:12 AM
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the update...

... now all we need is someone going to the SDCC who can get a copy for each and every one of us. :D

Glass
02-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the update...

... now all we need is someone going to the SDCC who can get a copy for each and every one of us
I might be able to do that. Just might. Signed by writer and artist. ;) When we get closer to this, I'll let you know for sure. Gotta keep my Tower peeps happy!

turtlex
02-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Oh, man, you would make a lot of people very happy ( and I was just kidding! ).

Regardless, I'm way jealous that you're headed to the SDCC anyway. I've always wanted to go and have never had the chance.

Glass
02-28-2009, 11:04 AM
You should go, Turtle! It's a fun vacation... well... not for me since I have to work it, but for everyone else it seems fun! haha And this one would be a good one to go to since I'm guessing Robin Furth and Tony Shasteen will actually be there.

turtlex
02-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I will put up a SDCC thread when we get closer to the actual Con, with guest info and King related artists, etc.

I will make it there one day... kind of a dream vacation for me.

Patrick
03-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I would LOVE to go to San Diego for this, but the timing won't work out this year.

turtlex
03-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Oh, that stinks, Patrick. I thought for sure you would attend! Oh well, they hold them every year ( just to gloat at us East Coast folks ).

Glass
03-02-2009, 09:56 AM
You guys do have the NYCC every year, Turtle... in the most fabulous city in the world. :) Not too shabby... ON THE EAST COAST! haha

turtlex
03-02-2009, 10:07 AM
So very true, but alas, I had to miss the NYCC this year ( boo hiss ) ... right now, I'm hoping to make it to Wizard World Philly, but even that isn't looking 100% just now !

LadyHitchhiker
03-02-2009, 11:20 AM
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! :excited:
:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
That is toooooo cool!

Patrick
03-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Oh, that stinks, Patrick. I thought for sure you would attend! Oh well, they hold them every year ( just to gloat at us East Coast folks ).

Thanks. San Diego is a bit too far (about 460 miles) as we'll have an infant at that point.

San Diego International Comic-Con 2009 (http://www.comic-con.org/cci/)

turtlex
03-11-2009, 09:34 AM
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/talisman_gn/

Brice
03-11-2009, 09:37 AM

Thanks. San Diego is a bit too far (about 460 miles) as we'll have an infant at that point.

You have an infant 460 miles away??? :unsure:

turtlex
03-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Sometimes kids are troublesome and they're best left places far, far away.

Brice
03-11-2009, 09:40 AM
:lol:

Brainslinger
03-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Very nice! Sloat is actually a bit slimmer than I imagined (but maybe my mind went into exageration mode as it does sometimes.) Speedy is somehow greyer than I imagined. That facial expression is pretty close though.

Patrick
03-19-2009, 02:51 PM

No, much further than that. So, Brice, if you receive a box sent Priority Mail with little holes cut in the sides, please open it right away.

Sometimes kids are troublesome and they're best left places far, far away. Duly noted. ;)

Patrick
03-19-2009, 02:53 PM

Very nice! Sloat is actually a bit slimmer than I imagined (but maybe my mind went into exageration mode as it does sometimes.) Speedy is somehow greyer than I imagined. That facial expression is pretty close though. I agree on your points on both characters. I like these interpretations though, and they've supplanted the ones I had in my head already.

Brice
03-20-2009, 05:56 AM

No, much further than that. So, Brice, if you receive a box sent Priority Mail with little holes cut in the sides, please open it right away.

:scared: :scared: :scared:

turtlex
04-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Character Sketch Released from Sai King.

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/talisman_char/Lily.jpg
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/talisman_char/jack.jpg
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/talisman_char/phil.jpg

Brainslinger
04-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I always imagined Jack and Lily having dark hair... although I suppose it could be being black and white pictures. I liked the skull smoke. Heh.

I'm rereading The Talisman at the moment. It's still enjoyable, despite having read it at least three times before.

turtlex
06-16-2009, 11:56 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/645/medium/Issue0SDCC.jpg

San Diego Comic Con Exclusive
Issue # 0

FREE / Available at the comic con only.
July 22nd - 26th, 2009

sarajean
06-16-2009, 12:04 PM
what?

why does he look like he's in his 30s?!

turtlex
06-16-2009, 12:05 PM
But more importantly... who's going that can get me a pristine copy?!?!?

sarajean
06-16-2009, 12:06 PM
i can only think of one person that i know for sure will be going, and i don't think he has logged in for more than a year.

sorry.

turtlex
06-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Tickets to the SDCC are pretty much sold out already anyways. :cry:

It will be a dream trip of mine, one year.

Oh, well, eBay, here I come.

sarajean
06-16-2009, 12:13 PM
i've actually been trying to get in touch with him recently.

if i do, i'll ask him for you.

:couple:

jhanic
06-16-2009, 12:17 PM
This may be one series that I'll be skipping. I've been rather disappointed in The Stand, and, given the cover of this issue, I'm afraid I'll be disappointed again. I'm continuing The Stand because I don't want to stop in the middle, but I don't think I'll even start this one unless I hear some very good things about it. I guess I'm just not a graphics novel kind of guy.

John

Bev Vincent
06-16-2009, 01:50 PM
I'm with you on that one. The Dark Tower ones interest me because there is new story and all of the extra material, but I've lost interest in The Stand because it's simply telling the same story in pictures, with nothing value added. But I'm not a big fan of the graphic novel format. I lost interest in Locke & Key, too, because of the long gap between brief installments. It's like reading a short story one sentence at a time with a day between sentences.

Brainslinger
06-16-2009, 02:00 PM
why does he look like he's in his 30s?!

I'm not sure that's Jack. I think this is the Talisman prequel comic. There's a one-shot type prequel issue before the main series I understand.

I might get it out of curiosity, but I doubt I'll get the main series it basically being a retelling and all.

I do like the comic/graphic novel format though.

sarajean
06-16-2009, 02:06 PM
if that's true, then it shouldn't be called the talisman.

Matt
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I think the idea is sound, it's cool to associate a visual with a character like Wolf but it really has to be done right as we have all seen.

And if that's not Jack on the cover (and it really can't be)...they missed the boat here.

Obviously Lily is there.

After looking at a moment more, the artwork is really good so who knows on this one.

Nerak
06-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I will probably get it, just to have it, but I know I won't be buying the series, but Bev, I get Locke & Key and I won't read it until I have all of them together! LOL

Lilja
06-17-2009, 01:18 AM
This is from the press release and explains the cover:

Issue 0 explores the separate lives of Jack’s father—in our world, and the mysterious realm known as the Territories—and how evil scheming will forever change Jack’s peaceful life.

SigTauGimp
06-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Ahhh...neat. :D

Brainslinger
06-17-2009, 05:38 AM
if that's true, then it shouldn't be called the talisman.

They need to have the Talisman name in there though. It being a prequel to the story. (And from an advertisement and marketing perspective.)

It's only issue 0 I was referring to by the way, the rest 1 onwards will be retelling the Talisman story.

Issue 0 explores the separate lives of Jack’s father—in our world, and the mysterious realm known as the Territories—and how evil scheming will forever change Jack’s peaceful life.

I thought it might be his father. That does sound rather interesting.

O Hyperborean Wanderer
06-17-2009, 06:06 AM
Intriguing . . . I always thought an Eyes of the Dragon series would be cool to see (with maybe a #0 issue detailing the dragon hunt and the Deschain's involvement and ending the series with Dennis and Thomas arriving in Gilead in pursuit of Flagg), but this is just as good.

turtlex
06-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Yeah, now all we have to do is convince someone going to steal us a ream of them, and we should be all set. :D

O Hyperborean Wanderer
06-17-2009, 06:16 AM
I wouldn't worry. Most of the "Comic-Con Exclusives" tend to make the rounds to different cons all over every summer. At least, they show up around where I am, which is nowhere near San Diego.

Then again, I take it for granted that I'm so close to the (pardon me, a) Tower and these things have a way of finding me, before I find them.

turtlex
06-17-2009, 06:19 AM
Well, I sure hope to see one, but I'm not counting on it.

O Hyperborean Wanderer
06-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Ooh! Big thought here! Maybe we'll finally meet Bango Skank!

O Hyperborean Wanderer
06-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Well, I sure hope to see one, but I'm not counting on it.

Tell you what, if I see two, then you'll see at least one.

turtlex
06-17-2009, 12:37 PM
I plan on getting as many as I can, should I come across them, and I'll post for all if it happens!

alinda
06-21-2009, 05:41 AM
I was gonna post a link to a message from SK about this but your a mile ahead of me as always....:lol: n/m carry on! Arent you as excited as me? :wtf:

ICry4Oy
06-25-2009, 12:21 PM
I read the book with Danny Devito as Sloat and Morgan Freeman as Speedy but those pics will do....I guess...except Lily looks a little too much like Naomi on Mama's Family.:doh:

turtlex
07-30-2009, 01:23 PM
FYI : The 'regular' color version of Issue 0 has a published retail price of $1.00

( this CCI / SDCC variant was FREE to people attending the con )

CyberGhostface
07-30-2009, 07:29 PM
I love The Talisman, but given it's slow pace, I don't think it would translate well to a monthly comic format. That, and the fact that Furth is doing it, makes me think that I'll probably end up skipping the series. I might check it out at the stores though once in a while and get the trade from my library.

In regards to Locke & Key, that's easily one of the best comics out there. Joe Hill is doing what his father should have done with comics--telling original stories in the medium rather than having other writers doing it for him in a mediocre fashion.

turtlex
08-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Citizens of the Comic Tower - I just happened across this item at the website of The Signed Page.

They're offering an artist signed set of the Talisman / Road of Trials.

Linkage (http://www.signedpage.com/authors/shasteen-talisman.html)

Comic Books: Issues #0-5
New Price: $60.00
Shipping: Shipping March 2010
Note: Limited to 100 sets
Note: Signed by artist Tony Shasteen

Please note the shipping date of March 2010 so your money will be tied up for a while.

Total with shipping is $69.95.

jhanic
08-10-2009, 12:32 PM
They did something similar with the first arc of The Dark Tower series--125 copies signed by the colorist, Richard Isanove. They didn't continue with the series, however.

John

turtlex
08-10-2009, 12:36 PM
Oh, wow, I missed out on that.

Needless to say, and try not to be surprised, I ordered this set. :D

jhanic
08-10-2009, 12:51 PM
As I was saying just before we had a power outage here (a neat thunderstorm!), if I were getting The Talisman comics, I would definitely be getting this set. Unfortunately, I've been so disappointed by The Stand comics that I don't want to get involved in just another retelling of a story that I like. I've decided not to get any of The Talisman comics.

John

johnsmith87
08-10-2009, 02:44 PM
As I was saying just before we had a power outage here (a neat thunderstorm!), if I were getting The Talisman comics, I would definitely be getting this set. Unfortunately, I've been so disappointed by The Stand comics that I don't want to get involved in just another retelling of a story that I like. I've decided not to get any of The Talisman comics.

John

May I ask why you've been dissappointed with The Stand comics? I think they've been doing a fairly nice job, but then again that's just my opinion.

jhanic
08-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I want NEW stories, or at least stuff that wasn't in the original book.

John

turtlex
08-11-2009, 12:34 AM
John - One thing to consider, at least issue 0, is what they're calling a prequel to the existing story. So, issue 0 would be "new", so to speak.

jhanic
08-11-2009, 05:49 AM
True. I hadn't thought of that. We'll see.

John

CyberGhostface
08-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I'd be more interested in the #0 issue if it was written by anyone else but Furth.

turtlex
08-12-2009, 01:01 PM
CG - Wow? Really? From you, that is soooo surprising! :couple: :lol:

CyberGhostface
08-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I like to be unpredictable.

In all seriousness, why not have someone like Joe Hill work on the comics? He knows how to write them (Locke & Key is ten times better than any of Furth's stuff), and he's not above collaborating with his old man.

turtlex
08-12-2009, 01:15 PM
It's an interesting proposition, but I'm pretty sure that Joe Hill is signed with IDW, so it would be unlikely that Del Rey would be able to lore him away for a re-telling of a story.

Cloysterpete
08-14-2009, 12:32 PM
Here's a novel concept - how about getting Stephen King or Peter Straub to write the things, it's just tales set in the same universe as the novel if it's not wrote by the authors.

I wonder why King hasn't wrote a single one of 'his' comics, can't be time constraints, maybe monetary?.

CyberGhostface
08-14-2009, 04:28 PM
I wonder why King hasn't wrote a single one of 'his' comics, can't be time constraints, maybe monetary?.

No official reason (yet). He's said he doesn't want to get involved much because "too much cooks spoil the soup" or something, but if he was the sole writer that wouldn't be an issue.

I don't think it's time constraints either. The man's nothing if not profilic--I hardly think writing some comics would get in the way, especially given how many comic writers do numerous comics a month.

As for monetary reasons? Well, even if he's not writing the comics, his name is all over the projects so he's probably getting money from it either way. I don't think he'd ask for more than Marvel could handle.

Perhaps King just doesn't care that much about them. Aside from the afterward in the first issue, his involvement has been pretty moot.

jhanic
08-15-2009, 04:17 AM
Here's a novel concept - how about getting Stephen King or Peter Straub to write the things, it's just tales set in the same universe as the novel if it's not wrote by the authors.

I'd rather have King and Straub write the third Talisman/Black House book than a comic series.

John

lophophoras
08-15-2009, 04:21 AM
Yeah. That's what I am waiting for too.

CyberGhostface
08-15-2009, 09:58 AM
I'd rather have King and Straub write the third Talisman/Black House book than a comic series.

John

I would too if I had to choose between one or the other, but King and Straub could easily do both. Really, I would only want them to write #0 as it's a new story. If the rest of the series is a straightforward adaptation (like The Stand) their involvement could be minimal at best.

turtlex
08-22-2009, 03:35 AM
Two covers for issue # 1 of The Talisman: The Road of Trials

Cover A ( regular ) by Massimo Carnevale
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/645/medium/RoadTrials1-a.jpg

Cover B ( variant ) by Mike "Gabe" Krahulik
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/645/medium/RoadTrials1-b.jpg

CyberGhostface
08-23-2009, 12:09 PM
It would be interesting to see the comic done in the second cover's style, if only to see something different than the usual fare.

ManOfWesternesse
08-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Neither of 'em look like much - but that 2nd one is surely a joke? What is this - King for 5-yr-old's???

turtlex
08-23-2009, 01:12 PM
It's by the artist that does the Penny Arcade books. I kind of like it.

ManOfWesternesse
08-23-2009, 01:20 PM
OOps sorry - no offence Pam.

I guess this whole 'King goes to comic-world' thing ain't working for me.
I gave up on it all after the first 2 DT arcs. Guess I just prefer to read his Books and leave it at that.

turtlex
08-23-2009, 02:43 PM
:lol: No offense taken. :couple:

I think part of why I like it is because it does have such a comic-y feel to it.

Honestly, I would never like the whole book drawn that way though.

CyberGhostface
08-23-2009, 03:52 PM
I gave up on it all after the first 2 DT arcs.

You aren't missing much. The series peaked with The Long Road Home and it's all been downhill from there.

turtlex
08-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Oh, I don't know about that - I enjoyed Treachery quite a bit. Fall of Gilead hasn't been so great, but mostly because I don't like where they're going with Aileen's character... but that's a whole other thread.

CyberGhostface
08-23-2009, 04:06 PM
I was just disappointed with how Treachery really dropped the ball with the Gabrielle/Marten plot, which should have been the focus of the arc, and instead devoted more time to Furth's Mary Sue. I also found the handling of Gabrielle's death to be both over the top and anticlimatic at the same time.

mikeC
09-25-2009, 09:30 AM
The cover needs more words and a bigger title treatment!
It's a shame they can't put out a classy cover.
The Talisman font itself is garbage.
So far epic fail on this adaptation.

pixiedark76
09-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Did anyone read The Talisman issue 0 yet? (I just got it today, the black and white issue.) I was reading it and I thought that it was great. It gave a little bit of back story on the characters of Lilly, Phillip, Morgan and Jack.

I was hoping that it would have given more of Phillip Sawyer's back story. For instance: How did he discover the territories? How old was he when he first discovered and "flipped" to the territories? It almost seems like there needs to be a prequel written to The Talisman. Maybe Peter Straub and Stephen King will make Talisman 3 a prequel?

pixiedark76
09-25-2009, 02:41 PM
I think that both covers are cool! The second one looks very scary! :scared: Those glowing eyes freak me out! On the second cover the Morgans look extremely evil! :evil:

Patrick
09-27-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm fine with the "Talisman" font.

I think the covers have all the words they need: Authors, Title, Story arc title.

I agree with our man from Ireland, the second cover ("Cover B") looks like something I'd find on the rack for my 6- and 8-year olds. To be honest, I'm not very keen on "Cover A" either. However I'll still buy both if they are reasonably priced. :unsure:

Pixie, I bought Issue 0 today from someone on eBay. I'm glad you liked it, I look forward to reading it too!

jayson
09-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Cover B ( variant ) by Mike "Gabe" Krahulik
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/645/medium/RoadTrials1-b.jpg

so please tell me this is not the style of the artwork in this adaptation or my interest in reading it ends immediately.

the talisman deserves a lot better treatment than that. just because it's about a 12 year old boy doesn't mean it has to look like 90% of the crap on cartoon network. i am quite disappointed.

and i agree with patrick, the first cover really only looks "good" in contrast with the second. taken on its own, it's pretty lacking.

not a fan of the font at all. it's more suited for the album art of some lame pseudo-metal band.

while i have not enjoyed the story elements of the dt comics, i have enjoyed most of the artwork (except the portrayals of the crimson king as the equivalent of "the devil") but this, this i cannot accept.

Brainslinger
09-27-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm pretty sure the artwork inside is of the more realistic type. I haven't read issue 0 but I've seen some of the 'ideas artwork' (I forget the correct term, but I'm sure you get what I mean) and it's very different.

That being said Jack looks wrong to me in that artwork too but that's probably due to my own mental image of him. He is depicted as a blond ickle lad, and I always saw him as dark haired and a bit taller if still young.

I don't actually dislike the cartoon artwork of the second cover though. Cartoon stuff is fun and has it's place but I agree this story isn't it.

jayson
09-27-2009, 09:27 AM
I don't actually dislike the cartoon artwork of the second cover though. Cartoon stuff is fun and has it's place but I agree this story isn't it.

precisely.

i have no objection to cartoonish artwork in a cartoon, but not in a graphic adaptation of a novel.

Daghain
09-27-2009, 09:36 AM
Jayson, I'm right there with you. Hate them both, really, but that second one...NO.

mikeC
09-28-2009, 06:30 AM
The cartoony coverB is a variant cover which give artists the oppurtunity to use his/her style to create their own version of the comic.
I was joking about the fonts and works, there's way too much stuff on there.

turtlex
09-28-2009, 04:46 PM
I think that variant was just done because they were able to get a "name" artist and wanted something different... that style is his trademark, really.

Glass
09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
I've read Issue #0. The artwork is absolutely realistic. It's not cartoony at all.

turtlex
09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey All - I just got a note from my CGC guy that he has an "extra" copy of this issue CGC graded 9.8 up for sale on eBay. ( He sent in a couple of them to ensure he got my copy ... so this is his 'extra' ).

His name is Jerry and his store is 3294 Auctions at eBay.

Here's the linkage (http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-The-Talisman-Road-of-Trials-0-CGC-9-8_W0QQitemZ360193937919QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item53dd3b51ff&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262) if you want to get one. $59.99 plus $9.99 shipping. This is exactly what I pay for special variants. It's a fair price, I think.

Sam
09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
So you've got you a copy in the chute Pam?

turtlex
09-30-2009, 05:27 AM
Sam - Oh, you bet. As soon as I saw that there was a Comic Con exclusive, I asked Jerry to see if he could get me one for my CGC collection. I don't think I'll get the whole series CGC'd, but I wanted the exclusive. He is great about getting issues and is wonderful about always picking out an issue that will come back 9.8 - my favorite thing though, is that if the issue doesn't come back at 9.8 - then I don't have to buy it. He takes all the responsibility and cost on himself. He can't always find a 9.8 of the more difficult issues, but mostly he does. I subscribe to the Dark Tower comics and the Batwoman run of Detective Comics through him.

When I get my 9.8 of this issue in the mail - I'll post a pic.

Patrick
10-02-2009, 11:10 PM
I ordered a (non-CGC-graded) copy of the SDCC edition from eBay at a good price and it arrived today! :excited:

Patrick
10-02-2009, 11:15 PM
not a fan of the font at all. it's more suited for the album art of some lame pseudo-metal band.
:rofl: You nailed it!

I'm glad to hear about the variant covers being simply that and not indicative of the artwork inside. In fact my copy arrived today, why aren't I reading it?? :doh:

ola
10-04-2009, 12:52 AM
That first cover looks like a jumbly mess. Bad metal font, no kidding.

I like the 2nd cover better - I think I'd want to take it even further though and have it 100% manga-style, so it's more 'stylized' and less 'cartoony.' A full book of manga King adaptation would be pretty entertaining.

Brice
10-04-2009, 06:07 AM
I really don't think I'd like manga style Stephen King. It just seems odd to me, but then I'm not very fond of most manga I've seen either.

CyberGhostface
10-04-2009, 03:22 PM
It would depend on the manga style, IMO. Death Note, for example, has some really good art that I wouldn't mind seeing applied to something fantasy-oriented like Dark Tower or Eyes of the Dragon.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9800/deathnoteti4.jpg

turtlex
10-04-2009, 06:57 PM
I am pretty sure this was just a deal where the artist who does Penny Arcade was available, so they jumped on it. I tend to enjoy variant covers that differ a lot from the "regular" cover.

Patrick
10-05-2009, 07:49 PM
After admiring the comic book all bagged and boarded, I finally took it out and read it.

I have a feeling I'm really going to like this production.

turtlex
10-06-2009, 01:11 AM
As an avid collector, I'm all about getting things to save and put away - but comics are made to be read and enjoyed!

ola
10-08-2009, 09:37 PM
It would depend on the manga style, IMO. Death Note, for example, has some really good art that I wouldn't mind seeing applied to something fantasy-oriented like Dark Tower or Eyes of the Dragon.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9800/deathnoteti4.jpg

Yes, yes. This kind for sure. :)

mae
10-13-2009, 06:40 AM
Exclusive images: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20310581,00.html

turtlex
10-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Wow! That's like a 12 page preview !

Thanks for the linkage !

turtlex
10-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Wow, this is the earliest pre-order opportunity I think I've ever seen.

Amazon is already offering Talisman: Road of Trails Hardcover for pre-order even though the first issue isn't even out yet !!

According to Amazon - the hardcover will be released on May 25th, 2010.

Price listed at $25.00 with a current price of $16.50.

Hardcover: 160 pages
Publisher: Del Rey (May 25, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0345517989
ISBN-13: 978-0345517982

Amazon Pre-Order Linkage

ewald
10-14-2009, 04:42 AM
What a hurry :rolleyes:

Bev Vincent
10-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Stephen King & Peter Straub Talk Comics Books (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091015-king-straub.html)

turtlex
10-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Awesome, Bev.

Thanks for the linkage !

Patrick
10-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Ha!

I think I'll wait to see if anyone offers up a signed version (not limited, just signed) of the hardcover.

Glass
10-25-2009, 11:21 AM
An update on the Tony Shasteen signed set of The Talisman: The Road of Trials.

It is now a double-signed set. :)

Robin Furth has also agreed to sign 50 sets of Issues #0-5. That will include the only two variant covers Del Rey has planned, for issues #1 and #2. That is 8 comic books total.

Here is the direct link: http://www.signedpage.com/authors/shasteen-talisman.html

Those of you who have already ordered the set will not have to pay the additional shipping for the books to be shipped to Robin.

Got any questions, just ask. I am usually around, at the very least lurking. :)

Shawn

turtlex
10-25-2009, 02:09 PM
An update on the Tony Shasteen signed set of The Talisman: The Road of Trials.

It is now a double-signed set. :)

Robin Furth has also agreed to sign 50 sets of Issues #0-5. That will include the only two variant covers Del Rey has planned, for issues #1 and #2. That is 8 comic books total.

Here is the direct link: http://www.signedpage.com/authors/shasteen-talisman.html

Those of you who have already ordered the set will not have to pay the additional shipping for the books to be shipped to Robin.

Got any questions, just ask. I am usually around, at the very least lurking. :)

Shawn

Shawn - So this is an ADDITIONALLY available set... this one signed by both Shasteen and Furth?

Patrick
10-25-2009, 10:40 PM
I think Shawn is saying that the set has been upgraded.

Hi Shawn, they sign on the front cover, correct?

turtlex
10-26-2009, 12:34 AM
I think Shawn is saying that the set has been upgraded.

Oh, that would be sweet, since I already ordered.

Shawn?

Glass
10-26-2009, 09:40 AM
Yes, it is an upgrade that requires nothing from those who have already ordered. :)

Yes, for this they will sign on the front cover.

turtlex
10-26-2009, 09:52 AM
:rock: Sa-weet ! :rock:

Patrick
10-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I ordered a set this morning before even checking this thread for the answers above. :)

Glad to hear they're signing the cover, Shawn. That's my preference for comic books (other than hardcovers).

turtlex
10-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Yeah, I thought it was a good deal before... now it's even better.

:rock:

Lovin' it !

Glass
10-27-2009, 03:04 PM
Once I saw the MTV preview for Issue #1, I knew I had to make this more special. Robin was nice enough to do this again.

turtlex
10-28-2009, 08:20 AM
I'm thrilled ! Super coolio.

Glass
10-31-2009, 07:38 AM
:rose:

herbertwest
12-03-2009, 10:45 AM
some covers of upcoming Talisman issues:

http://talesofwonder.com/images/NOV090740.jpg
http://talesofwonder.com/images/DEC090822.jpg

turtlex
12-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Wasn't sure where exactly to put this ... but this seems a good place.

If you're looking to start collecting some CGC comics... Check this out :

For $150 plus shipping :

Talisman 0 at 10 GEM (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360218873935&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123)

http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!Bh)r3v!BWk~$(KGrHqEH-CsEsKg+sytfBLKwQKsOMQ~~_3.JPG

This is a CGC graded 10 - The highest possible grade.

( um, yeah, I already got one for myself )

lophophoras
01-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Pam,

Do you have a Talisman PDF listing each issue and their variants?

Basically I am looking for how many issues there are and how many variants there are of each issue. And the name of the artist for each variant.

The Del Rey site has no info that I was able to find. So I figured I would ask you, our comic Guru.

:)

Thanks!!

turtlex
01-08-2010, 05:29 PM
:blush: Sorry, haven't had a chance to put one together yet, but it's on my list of "to do" items for the Comic Tower.

Soon. I promise.

turtlex
01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Okay, quick list to date : :D

Road of Trials

Issue - Artist

0 - Massimo Carnevale
0 San Diego ComicCon Exclusive - Massimo Carnevale
1 - Massimo Carnevale
1 variant - Mike Krahulik
2 - Massimo Carnavale
2 variant - Massimo Carnavale
3 - Massimo Carnevale

lophophoras
01-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Road of Trials

Issue - Artist

0 - Massimo Carnevale
1 - Massimo Carnevale
2 - Massimo Carnavale
3 - Massimo Carnevale

Very cool! So there will just be two of each issue (1 regular and 1 variant)?

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Patrick
01-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Is issue #3 out already?

turtlex
01-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Road of Trials

Issue - Artist

0 - Massimo Carnevale
1 - Massimo Carnevale
2 - Massimo Carnavale
3 - Massimo Carnevale

Very cool! So there will just be two of each issue (1 regular and 1 variant)?

Thanks a bunch!!!!

You're very welcome.
Not sure about each issue though - the info I found for issue 3 didn't show a variant ... at least not yet.

Is issue #3 out already?

I don't think so, but the info was available. :D

Patrick
01-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Ah, ok, thanks.

mae
02-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Hardcover out May 25, 2010.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51I7jCO3WWL.jpg

turtlex
02-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Pablo - Is this a GN collection? Or a novelization of the comic?!?

( if it's a GN ... I'm wondering why they wouldn't use a comic cover? )

mae
02-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the collection of the comic. No reason for it to be anything else. Truthfully, I haven't been following The Talisman adaptation much.

turtlex
02-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Maybe they just grabbed some generic cover shot or something then?

Hmmm. I'll look around the comic sites.

Thanks for the heads-up !

herbertwest
02-21-2010, 06:29 AM
Does anyone have the original black and white variant cover?
The one that was given away during the convention?

Ari_Racing
02-21-2010, 08:30 AM
I have it.

lophophoras
04-30-2010, 04:23 AM
Pam,

Were you able to get a copy of either variant of this?

I've been looking on ebay but haven't seen any.

turtlex
04-30-2010, 01:11 PM
I got a 9.8 variant of issue # 1 and # 2.

lophophoras
04-30-2010, 01:18 PM
That's cool!

What comic place do you use?

I'm not looking for CGC but I would like to get a NM/Mint copy of each if possible.

turtlex
04-30-2010, 01:22 PM
I use a CGC Subscription Service ( Tell Jerry Pam Sent Ya! (http://cgcsubscription.com/default.aspx) ) for my graded comics - I tell Jerry ahead of time what I want graded and he hunts it down and submits it for me. It gets pricey but he does all the leg work and submitting.

To just buy outright - I would use my online comic shop - however, I do see that my online shop ( Online mycomicshop (http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=19556147) ) doesn't have any in stock.

lophophoras
05-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks!

:huglove:

turtlex
05-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I will keep an eye open though and let you know if I see them there!

:thumbsup:

mae
05-03-2010, 04:50 AM
There's a free comic out, Del Rey Showcase, which features a sneak preview of The Talisman comic.

http://www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/IssueDetail.aspx?ID=463021

Ari_Racing
05-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Today I received an email saying that Amazon shipped my order of the complete hc volume of the first series.

turtlex
07-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Received an email update on this set from The Signed Page ( quoted here ) :

Hi All,

I hope this email finds you all well!

As I'm sure you are quite aware of, THE TALISMAN signing with Robin Furth and Tony Shasteen didn't exactly go as planned. Not at all. Conflicting schedules on all parties really put a damper on getting this signed set of comic books done in a timely fashion.

That said, I thought I would notify you all that Robin will be signing the books here in early August. We have a new plan. We'll see if it works. Then they will go to Tony. Then then will come back to me. I will bag and board them and ship them out with all haste once they are returned.

Since it has been so long, I just want to make sure that the mailing addresses for you all are correct. So if you have moved since October 2009, let me know and I'll make the necessary adjustment.

If you have any questions, just let me know. I am always around. I truly do apologize for the delay on these. It's one of the reasons I'm thinking about getting rid of mail signings altogether.

Best Wishes,
Shawn Speakman

turtlex comments : Personally, I thought it was cool of Shawn to send an email like this one. It's not always easy to come forward and let people know when things don't work out as planned. I have to respect him for keeping in touch and letting us know what's going on. I'm looking forward to getting my set.

turtlex
07-22-2010, 03:14 AM
The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund
is holding an auction at this year's San Diego Comic Con, as they always do.

Of particular interest is a copy of The Talisman #0 comic signed by Stephen King and Peter Straub.

They are taking off site bids by email.
Scroll to the bottom of the page for bidding rules, The Talisman is listed as item #78.

http://cbldf.org/homepage/cbldfs-comic-con-auction-preview/

A lot of other cool stuff, original art by Bernie Wrightson, signed Neil Gaiman items.

Karl

I want to thank Karl for posting this over in Calvin's but I thought it deserved a thread here.

I'll roll this into the Comic Con thread in a few days.

Rules for Bidding - Off-Site Bidding

If you are unable to be at the convention, or unable to attend the auction, bids will be accepted online bids starting Monday, July 19 until Saturday, July 24, 1:00 PM Pacific Time. All bids must be emailed to director@cbldf.org with “SDCC AUCTION BID” in the subject line. Be sure when bidding to use the item name as it appears on the website.

This is not a silent auction bidding system. All bids placed online will be used as opening bids during the live auction on Saturday, July 24. In the event there are multiple bids on the same item, the highest bid will be the one accepted.

Bid amounts placed online will not be disclosed before the item is auctioned. Winning bidders will be notified by email the week following the convention. Payment is expected within 7 days from said email.

Lots of cool items up for auction actually.

1. Dave McKean & Neil Gaiman – Black Orchid, p. 96 original art
2. Martin Meunier & Tony DiTerlizzi – MUTHR Maquette from WONDLA
3. Philip Tan – Batman
4. Jim Lee – CBLDF’s Liberty Comics 2010 Cover, 1/1 print
5. Jeffrey Brown – Cat Mischief
6. Jeff Lemire – Sweet Tooth pinup
7. Guy Davis – The Marquis
8. Guy Davis – Abe Sapien
9. Gabriel Ba – Casanova and Kraken
10. Jenny Frison – Wonder Woman
11. Fabio Moon – The White Violin
12. Jay Anacleto – Ecstacy
13. Duncan Rouleau – The Great Unknown
14. David Hine – The Bulletproof Coffin
15. Darick Roberston – Conan, cover to CBLDF’s Liberty Comics 2010
16. Phil Hester – The Wretch Pinup
17. Peter Bagge – A Widow’s Worry
18. Peter Bagge – Sticks & Stones
19. Paul Grist – Jack Staff
20. Patric Reynolds – Dexter
21. Nick Percival – Pin up
22. Matthew Southworth – Brewster Wayne
23. Mark Dos Santos – Death
24. Kody Chamberlain – Sweets pinup
25. Jonathan Luna – The Sword pin up
26. Jim Rugg – Codex
27. Bill Morrison – Lady Robotika
28. Ben Templesmith – Choker #3, page 20
29. Amy Mebberson – Miss Piggy
30. Tim Seeley – Warrior Maiden
31. Arthur Adams – Batman pinup
32. Frank Miller – My Universe signed print
33. Arthur Adams – Wolverine pin up
34. Cully Hamner – The Question original art
35. Craig Thompson & Neil Gaiman – The Last Angel tour poster, signed
36. Matt Wagner – Tek Jansen #2 original cover art
37. Tara McPherson – Mr. Bubbles original painting
38. Rob Schrab – SCUD original drawing
39. Terry Moore, Jim Valentino, Batton Lash, Marc Hempel, Jimmie Robinson, Zander Cannon, Jon Bean Hastings – Independent Alley original art
40. Matt Kindt – Scarlet original art
41. Jeff Smith – RASL original drawing
42. Paul Pope – Pin up original art
43. Jim Silke – Pin up – original pastel
44. Nikki Cook – original painting
45. Nikki Cook – original painting
46. George A. Walker – Murder Mysteries Woodcut- Angel
47. George A. Walker – Murder Mysteries Woodcut- Smoker
48. David Petersen – Mouse Guard unfinished page
49. Charlie Adlard – Michonne, original character design from The Walking Dead
50. Jim Mahfood – Kick Drum Comix #1, page 13
51. Khary Randolph – original painting
52. Jose Marzan Jr. & Bill Willingham – Jack of Fables #27, page 15
53. Ron Lim – Iron Man/Doom #4, pg 7 original art
54. Kerry Gammill & Sam De La Rosa – Indiana Jones #7, p. 23
55. Richard Case – Hunter #22, page 16
56. Charlie Adlard – Walking Dead Suite 1
57. Charlie Adlard – Walking Dead Suite 2
58. Charlie Adlard – Walking Dead Suite 3
59. Charlie Adlard – Walking Dead Suite 4
60. Charlie Adlard – Walking Dead Suite 5
61. Charlie Adlard – Walking Dead Suite 6
62. Charlie Adlard – Walking Dead Suite 7
63. Charlie Adlard – Walking Dead Suite 8
64. Charlie Adlard – Walking Dead Suite 9
65. Tom Scioli – Death of Godland pinup
66. Shaky Kane — The Coffin Fly signed production stat
67. Phil & Kaja Foglio – Girl Genius pinup
68. Nate Powell – Swallow Me Whole
69. Larry Marder – Beanish Original drawing
70. Kenneth Rocafort – Velocity pin up
71. Jim Valentino – Tall Tales pin-up
72. Gabriel Hardman – Spider-Man pin up
73. Dane Ault — Kid Zombie
74. Dan Brereton – Pinup
75. Andy Kuhn – Firebreather original art
76. Victor Santos – Mice Templar original art
77. Moritat – Original Drawing
78. The Talisman #0 Signed by Stephen King & Peter Straub ( yes, it's misnumbered on the website )
80. Eric Powell Etnies
81. David Mack Etnies
82. Molly Crabapple Etnies
83. Kevin Colden Etnies
84. Aya Kakeda Etnies
85. Jill Thompson Etnies
86. Larry Marder – Portrait of Harvey Pekar
87. Sienna Morris – Perpetual Motion
88. Steve Seeley – Bandito Superman
89. Peter Krause – The Plutonian
90. Billy Tucci – Heroes For Hire #2, Page 1
91. Eric Powell & Neil Gaiman – Orignial sketch card & sketchbook set
92. Bob Layton – Galactus original drawing
93. Craig Rousseau & Paul Tobin – Marvel FCBD Iron Man/Nova
94. Georges Jeanty – Faces of Evil: Deathstroke original page
95. Casey Jones – Exiles #84, page 15
96. Jim Calafiore – Excalibur #15, page 4
97. Dustin Nguyen – Detective Comics #849, page 5 original art
98. Nathan Fox – Creepy #2, Muscle Car page 1
99. Bernie Wrightson – original painting
100. Matt Smith – Clock Maker #7, page 9
101. Ben Templesmith – Choker #3, Page 18
102. Ben Templesmith – Choker #3, Page 17
103. Brian Ewing – Broken Skull
104. Guy Davis – BPRD: The Black Goddess #1, page 4
105. BPRD – BPRD: The Black Flame #1, page 15
106. Sam Ellis – Bed Bug Origin #1 original page
107. Aya Kakeda – Original Painting
108. Alan Moore & Todd Klein, Alphabets of Desire print, first edition

pixiedark76
08-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I was wondering when The Talisman: A collision of Worlds was going to come out? It said in the last issue of the first arc that it will be "summer 2010"

It is already August! Is there something going on that is holding up the comic release? Does anybody have any information?

turtlex
12-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Got a note form the Signed Page - Orders have SHIPPED !

CyberGhostface
03-13-2011, 09:33 PM
While I ended up dropping The Stand, I still thought it was a well-done adaptation of the novel...just one that is probably better served reading all at once given the slow pace of the story if you're reading in monthly increments. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is a great writer (I loved his run on Spider-Man, and he's also one of the writers on Big Love) and while he certainly didn't "write" The Stand, he did a good job translating it into comic form.

I was a bit skeptical about The Talisman, given that it was done by Furth (who is far from a great writer) and published by a book company as opposed to a comics one. I got the first trade from the library and after finishing it, I have to say...the art was good, but the writing was (as expected with Furth) pretty bad. It seemed more like Del Rey trying to hop onto the success of King's other comics as opposed to doing anything worthwhile.

With The Stand, Aguirre-Sacasa managed to convey King's writing style by placing the prose in little narration boxes throughout the comics that helped guide the story. With The Talisman, we just see the events visually so the nuances of King's and Straub's writing is gone. It's just "Jack does this, sees this, does that." So it was a lot harder for me to get into the story and appreciate the characters. And I have a feeling that if I hadn't even read the novel, I would be lost.

I've also read that the next story arc was supposed to be released almost a year ago now. So apparently Del Rey has dropped the ball already.

DanishCollector
03-21-2011, 05:25 PM
I happen to like the comics of The Talisman and hope that we'll soon see more. But the best of those comics - next to American Vampire - is N.

Bev Vincent
03-22-2011, 02:25 AM
Del Rey doesn't have any immediate plans to continue the series.

DanishCollector
03-22-2011, 06:50 AM
So it could very well end unfinished? Seems like The Talisman is doomed both as a potential movie/series and now also as a comic. Are their decisions based on some fans criticizing Furth's writing?

Brainslinger
03-22-2011, 07:01 AM
I'd imagine it's based on sales or rather lack thereof.

Personally I don't mind Furth's writing. I wasn't keen on how much she incorporated Cort's niece into the latter comics (I like the character and her ideas but she went too far) and I think she went a bit overboard with the feminist stuff but I actually found her more direct involvement in The Sorcerer a breath of fresh air. (By 'direct involvement' I mean, she wrote the actual script rather than writing for Peter David to script.) Don't get me wrong, he's done a decent job, but I sometimes feel he got a bit carried away with his use of captions and monologues.

As for her work on The Talisman, I can't comment on her style as I haven't read it. I wouldn't necessarily expect her to write Straub and King's descriptions though, it being a visual medium.

Bev Vincent
03-22-2011, 07:40 AM
This was Del Rey's first try at graphic novels. Perhaps it didn't work out the way they hoped. I don't know.

jhanic
03-22-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm just glad I decided not to start collecting the Talisman comics. I HATE leaving things unfinished.

John

WeDealInLead
03-22-2011, 11:43 AM
I actually liked this comic series. Mind you, I read the comics first and then the book.

This is my list of SK comics:

The Stand
N
American Vampire
The Talisman
TDT (except The Gunslinger Born, that one is tied with The Stand)

CyberGhostface
03-22-2011, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't necessarily expect her to write Straub and King's descriptions though, it being a visual medium.

I'm comparing it to The Stand adaptation, which managed to integrate King's prose into the comics in an organic fashion. Here's an example of what I mean (best I could find on short notice)

http://i28.tinypic.com/dw2cur.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/28kpmaw.jpg

http://i29.tinypic.com/vdhm3o.jpg

Those type of narration boxes are (or used to be) fairly commonplace in certain types of comics. I know Claremont used them a lot in his original X-Men run, so they're not out of place.

In regards to The Sorcerer, it was her creative decisions in that that lead me to drop the comics altogether. Oh God, don't get me started on that abomination.

Slender
03-23-2011, 09:22 AM
I liked The Sorcerer.

I found the revelation that Walter was the son of Maerlyn, the brother of the Rainbow and the cousin of the Crimson King strangely pleasing, but perhaps that's because I'm overly fond of genealogy and bloodlines and familial connections between characters.

Apart from that particular revelation, I didn't care much for The Sorcerer. It made a few pointless revisions of the story (notably Rhea's role), but I simply ignored those things and focused on the above revelation (which was Stephen King's idea). What really irks me about Robin Furth's writing is her silly tone, which is exemplified by her tendency to stick exclamation marks where they do not belong. I wish deeply that the team who write the comic-book adaptation of The Stand had been the ones to adapt and expand The Dark Tower – they're far more talented than Furth.

CyberGhostface
03-23-2011, 11:42 AM
Oh, definitely. Aguirre-Sacasa can write circles around Furth.

Merlin1958
03-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I have to say that while I understand the "New Audience/new Readers" approach personally, I never held out much hope for adapting already published works as "Graphic Novels" or comics. As a collector, I was vested in the early "Gunslinger Born" Arcs because it was arguably "New" Material. I could see where "N" and "American Vampire" might have legs as well, but "The Stand" and the subsequent "LSOE" turned me off. Of course, as a fan I have read the original versions of both.

As a collector and fan, I am admittingly biased to the original works. JMHO

jhanic
03-26-2011, 04:25 AM
I feel the same way, Bill. I started with The Stand (I REALLY love that book), but have been rather disappointed with the graphic novel. I've continued getting it, however. I decided when The Talisman was first announced, though, that I wouldn't bother.

John

Darkthoughts
08-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Existing threads merged here :thumbsup:

Merlin1958
08-28-2011, 06:10 PM
John? JIMHO it's somewhat of a sad commentary on the the present generation that in order to generate "new interest" in classic novels they have to become "Graphic Novels". I don't argue that its good business, but its a shame that this generation will, predominantly, only relate to the Graphic Novel and not the "Original book".

Funny story, I have mentioned a Used Book store called "Bookman's" here before. So happens, there's an "Atomic Comics" in the same strip mall. I walk in to pick up my "collector" copies of the Talisman and engage the clerk in a conversation. Turns out, he LOVES the story and can't wait to find out what happens next. I walk out, buy a used copy of "Talisman" at Bookman's for $6 and hand it to the kid at Atomic. I say "hear ya go". Never found out if he read it or waited for the GN version!!! LOL

Ben Staad
08-28-2011, 06:16 PM
John? JIMHO it's somewhat of a sad commentary on the the present generation that in order to generate "new interest" in classic novels they have to become "Graphic Novels". I don't argue that its good business, but its a shame that this generation will, predominantly, only relate to the Graphic Novel and not the "Original book".

Funny story, I have mentioned a Used Book store called "Bookman's" here before. So happens, there's an "Atomic Comics" in the same strip mall. I walk in to pick up my "collector" copies of the Talisman and engage the clerk in a conversation. Turns out, he LOVES the story and can't wait to find out what happens next. I walk out, buy a used copy of "Talisman" at Bookman's for $6 and hand it to the kid at Atomic. I say "hear ya go". Never found out if he read it or waited for the GN version!!! LOL

That's an awesome story. I would really like to know if the guy actually read the book or not. :clap:

Merlin1958
08-28-2011, 06:19 PM

That's an awesome story. I would really like to know if the guy actually read the book or not. :clap:

My bet is he is still working on it (so many words!!!) especially since they shit-canned the Graphic Novel. Far as I know!!! LOL

Darkthoughts
08-29-2011, 04:38 AM
:lol: That is so excellent!

Brainslinger
08-31-2011, 05:21 AM

Much as I really like graphic novels, and comics, I agree. I'm not really a fan of comic adaptations of literary works. I'm happy with comics that extend a story though, as long as it's with the author's permission and, hopefully, writing. Hence I was happy to buy the DT comics so far except for The Battle of Tull. (Okay, The Gunslinger Born was essentially a retelling of Wizard and Glass, but it had quite a bit of other 'off-page' material which justified the purchase for me. Mind you, I bought Little Sisters too, but that was mainly for the origins stuff at the back. To be fair, I really enjoyed the main comic story too.)

Having an interest in comics, I am interested in the medium becoming more popular though, but certainly not to the detriment of the written book. I think it might be a different in the States (and it's certainly different in Japan, and even mainland Europe) but here in the UK comics are often or not associated as 'for kids', although that has changed somewhat. Ironically a lot of the comics we read (largely American imports, but 2000 AD and Judge Dredd Megazine are still going strong) aren't really all that suitable for kids, although 2000 AD started off aimed at young lads. And that's another issue as there's plenty for adults/late teens (albeit the majority probably don't read them, hence my earlier point) and plenty for young kids, leaving a bit of a void for the rest who probably think they're 'too old for comics' anyway.

Merlin1958
08-31-2011, 08:25 PM

Much as I really like graphic novels, and comics, I agree. I'm not really a fan of comic adaptations of literary works. I'm happy with comics that extend a story though, as long as it's with the author's permission and, hopefully, writing. Hence I was happy to buy the DT comics so far except for The Battle of Tull. (Okay, The Gunslinger Born was essentially a retelling of Wizard and Glass, but it had quite a bit of other 'off-page' material which justified the purchase for me. Mind you, I bought Little Sisters too, but that was mainly for the origins stuff at the back. To be fair, I really enjoyed the main comic story too.)

Having an interest in comics, I am interested in the medium becoming more popular though, but certainly not to the detriment of the written book. I think it might be a different in the States (and it's certainly different in Japan, and even mainland Europe) but here in the UK comics are often or not associated as 'for kids', although that has changed somewhat. Ironically a lot of the comics we read (largely American imports, but 2000 AD and Judge Dredd Megazine are still going strong) aren't really all that suitable for kids, although 2000 AD started off aimed at young lads. And that's another issue as there's plenty for adults/late teens (albeit the majority probably don't read them, hence my earlier point) and plenty for young kids, leaving a bit of a void for the rest who probably think they're 'too old for comics' anyway.

Dude, I agree with you 100%, its the "practical application" that I guess I have a problem with. Seems to me that the above story apply's all too often, which is my beef. Opening a book, smelling the pages and sitting down to read it, is becoming a lost art. Know what I mean? Its kinda sad that our kids will be "downloading" the newest Joe Hill or W/E. However, we change and adapt, right?

jhanic
12-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Per Ms Mod on the SKMB:

The publisher decided not to do a second arc of The Talisman comic.

John

Ari_Racing
12-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the news, John. :)