PDA

View Full Version : Philip Pullman - His Dark Materials

gunslinger19
11-09-2007, 05:11 AM
I was wondering who else has read the series and if they like it as much as I did. I must admit the main reason I read them is because they have stirred such a controversy and I like to read anything that other people don't want me to read. But I found them to be amazing and the possibly the best series I have read other than of course The Dark Tower, and Harry Potter.

The books remind me a little of both of those series too. Pullman handles the idea of other worlds similar to King in The Dark Tower. Pullman also seems to write children similar too. In that I mean he gives them a little credit and doesn't make them seem like incredibly naive and retarded versions of adults. The overall tone of the books and the writing style reminded me a little of Harry Potter, but maybe that was only because the main characters were children about the age of Harry when he started at Hogwarts.

I don't know. Maybe I am making too much of these books, I wasn't expecting them to be nearly as good as I found them to be. So consequently maybe I am making them better than they are in my mind.

Darkthoughts
11-09-2007, 05:21 AM
No, I think Pullman is an extremely intelligent writer and I enjoyed the trilogy alot. They didn't cause any controversy in the UK - but we don't really have the same Fundamentalist scene over here.

I enjoyed the first two books more than the third however. For me all the stuff "underground" got a little tedious.

sarah
11-09-2007, 07:24 AM
sarajean and I just read this series a month or so ago and we both loved it. I'm getting such a kick out of all this christian drama that is going on around here. I even got a email asking me to boycott the movie because "it is not a christmas movie for the family" :lol: whatever! It's a good unique way of storytelling and I much enjoyed it.

Erin
11-09-2007, 02:27 PM
I'm excited to read this series. I've heard good things.

sarajean
11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
sarajean and I just read this series a month or so ago and we both loved it. I'm getting such a kick out of all this christian drama that is going on around here. I even got a email asking me to boycott the movie because "it is not a christmas movie for the family" :lol: whatever! It's a good unique way of storytelling and I much enjoyed it.

um, go ahead and talk for me, why don't you? :P

that being said...she's right. i did love them. i especially didn't want to, but maerlyn practically twisted my arm to make me read them.

i fell in love with all of the characters and was heartbroken along with lyra and will.

all of this controversy is lame. so many of the people who are up in arms about it haven't read them, and are going at this based on what they have HEARD about the books. it's ridiculous.

Darkthoughts
11-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Without being spoilery - it didn't get religious for me until the third book anyway. Although I found it...not pro religion but I thought that Pullman was probably a Christian myself. I was surprised to find he has the opposite view...perhaps I should reread from this pov. I've read the whole series twice already, but i could do it again no problem :)

sarajean
11-09-2007, 05:32 PM
i know, right?

they still seem to me as though they're more anti-organized religion, not anti-god.

i may have to place them in my queue again.

ManOfWesternesse
12-05-2007, 05:19 AM
I had been wondering about this series.
Good to read that people enjoyed it.

Would it be a good read for my 10 yr old son?
ditto for my 13 yr old daughter?
ditto for me? :lol: - I'll try it anyway if I decide to but it for one/both of them.

Sai_Rhavan
12-05-2007, 05:31 AM
I read them last year for an alternative senior project. The plan was amazing;
I had to read the three books of HDM and the first two and final book of the Dark Tower Series. Then I had to tie the two together. I pulled it off, and it was epic. I tied Lyra as being an innocent version of Roland, and Jake as being Will. The connection was the Dust and the Dark Tower.

_Sphynx_
12-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm almost done with The Subtle Knife, and while I do enjoy the series, I have no idea why. And more than that, whenever I actually get to thinking about it, it all seems cliché to me. Everyone in the first book of any importance were either royalty, or banished/unknown royalty, and in the second book, it's just more of the "let's go find my dad!" as the first one was. I'd keep going, but I have work in a minute.

Like I said, though, I enjoy the series thus far, but I have no idea why.

Darkthoughts
12-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Everyone in the first book of any importance were either royalty, or banished/unknown royalty

This part is not actually as far fetched as you might think :) Pullman actually lives in Oxford, which is teeming with aristocracy. One of England's two most prestigious universities is there (the other being Cambridge) and there are plenty of Lords and Ladies living in the Oxford area.

Still Servant
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Maybe you guys can help out a little bit.

I know nothing about this series. All I know is that the Catholic church is making a big deal about them (shocking). My sister is a 3rd grade teacher at a Catholic school and she was told to make sure the kids do not have the books in class and to not talk about the movies.

I was just wondering, are the books really as anti-God as they are making them out to be? I'm a Catholic. I go to church every Sunday and I went to Catholic school from K to High School. That being said, I don't consider myself one of these crazy Catholic people you see running around.

In fact, I have so many different views than most Catholics. I believe in evolution (kind of a no brainer), gay marriage and the list goes on and on. I look at all religion as more of a metaphor on how to live your life. Not the stone cold facts as some like to believe.

Anyway, they had a quote last week from the author in the church bulletin. I must admit it was pretty harsh. He said, "I wish to destroy God in the minds of children everywhere."

Ouch. I still don't like when people try to sensor any kind of art. Especially books and movies.

Kevin
12-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Maybe you guys can help out a little bit.

I know nothing about this series. All I know is that the Catholic church is making a big deal about them (shocking). My sister is a 3rd grade teacher at a Catholic school and she was told to make sure the kids do not have the books in class and to not talk about the movies.

I was just wondering, are the books really as anti-God as they are making them out to be? I'm a Catholic. I go to church every Sunday and I went to Catholic school from K to High School. That being said, I don't consider myself one of these crazy Catholic people you see running around.

In fact, I have so many different views than most Catholics. I believe in evolution (kind of a no brainer), gay marriage and the list goes on and on. I look at all religion as more of a metaphor on how to live your life. Not the stone cold facts as some like to believe.

Anyway, they had a quote last week from the author in the church bulletin. I must admit it was pretty harsh. He said, "I wish to destroy God in the minds of children everywhere."

Ouch. I still don't like when people try to sensor any kind of art. Especially books and movies.

Yes Pullman did say something to that effect, but if he was trying to create that message in his books, he failed miserably. I read the books twice before all the hype, and I must say its all overblown manure.

Darkthoughts
12-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, personally, as I said above - I thought the books were written by a Christian when I first read them. I'm an atheist and the facts that his books were based on the premise that God and the devil exist (at least for the purpose of the story), didn't give me any inkling that Pullman himself is an atheist.

I didn't find it damning of religion. But he does write the characters of prominent biblical figures such as specific angels, as flawed and with human faults - which is perhaps what riles some members of the church.
I would argue that this was silly in itself as didn't God make angels and man in his image? Some people are threatened by anything that doesn't conform to their beliefs/world view though aren't they :)

Still Servant
12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

It seems like you are right Darkthoughts, the church is afraid of beliefs that are unlike their own. This is the reason why over the years millions of lives have been spilled in the name of religion.

The other thing that pisses me of is that if a child goes to see this movie, they wouldn't even pick up on any anti-cahtolic views. They would see the talking animals and that's it.

Darkthoughts
12-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't take my kids to see it, but not because of any religious connotations, simply because I think its too scary :lol:

Kevin
12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys.

It seems like you are right Darkthoughts, the church is afraid of beliefs that are unlike their own. This is the reason why over the years millions of lives have been spilled in the name of religion.

The other thing that pisses me of is that if a child goes to see this movie, they wouldn't even pick up on any anti-cahtolic views. They would see the talking animals and that's it.

Exactly, the church is being awfully generous to the kids if they think that the kids figure this stuff out. I mean, not even the CHURCH figured it out right away! :lol:

Still Servant
12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't take my kids to see it, but not because of any religious connotations, simply because I think its too scary :lol:

Ah, well that's a much more viable reason. It does look quite scary.

sarajean
12-05-2007, 07:37 PM
but...are they really going to leave all of the scarier stuff in? i'm going for iorek byrnison and that's it.

OchrisO
12-05-2007, 08:10 PM
The fact tha Pullman is a militant atheist makes me more drawn to the books. If I had children, I would read the books to them from an early age.

Darkthoughts
12-06-2007, 01:52 AM
but...are they really going to leave all of the scarier stuff in? i'm going for iorek byrnison and that's it.
Iorek is my favourite too :wub:
My sister saw the trailer and she said she thought it was quite full on for a PG film. I couldn't believe Stardust was a PG over here either, I thought that should have been a twelve. There were some parents with like 4/5 year olds watching that, who had no clue about the book and were expecting a run of the mill kids fairy tale...there were a few tears! :lol:

At the end of the day though, parents know their own children. My younger two still get scared by Ursula in The Little Mermaid...so I wouldn't take them :P Sam came to watch Order of the Phoenix with me, he found it scary, but his enjoyment was greater than his fear - so I'd take him if he was interested.

The fact tha Pullman is a militant atheist makes me more drawn to the books. If I had children, I would read the books to them from an early age.
It just doesn't come across like that in the books though Chris. You'd be better off reading them The God Delusion ;)

OchrisO
12-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I would also want to read my children books that scared them, because, in all honesty, the world outside our doors is far more frightening than anything that can be written in a book and I'd rather they be prepared.

Still Servant
12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
I would also want to read my children books that scared them, because, in all honesty, the world outside our doors is far more frightening than anything that can be written in a book and I'd rather they be prepared.

Being scared as a kid sucks.

For some reason, my parents had the bright idea to let me watch Nostradamus when I was a kid. I remember not being able to sleep and shivering all night because I was so scared the world was going to end.

I think kids should keep their innocence as long as possible. Once it's gone, it's gone. Sure it's a scary world out there, but kids don't watch the news. They will learn it soon enough when they grow older, they don't need to hear it from me.

Erin
12-06-2007, 08:50 PM
*is glad she didn't have kids with Chris*

Yea I think you need to monitor what kids watch a bit, so you don't scare them. I know this guy who is a super tough, macho guy, but he's terrified of sharks because his parents let him watch Jaws when he was a kid. His fear of sharks is so extreme that in my old apartment, he refused to use the bathroom because my shower curtain was an underwater ocean scene. He said he felt like a shark was going to float by in the picture. Seeing that movie too young gave him a seriously irrational fear.

Anyways, that being said, it was more in line for the parenting thread. Back on topic:

I'm getting the His Dark Materials series for Christmas. I can't wait to start reading, i'm super intrigued at this point.

Still Servant
12-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm also planning on getting the series.

If my church finds out I'm reading them, do you think I will be burned at the stake? :lol:

Charyou tree anyone?

Erin
12-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Don't get caught with it and a copy of Harry Potter at the same time. Then you'd really be in trouble. :lol:

Still Servant
12-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Yikes, that could get ugly. Maybe if I have a copy of The Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Narnia, it would balance it out.

Ah who cares, being burned at the stake isn't so bad. Besides, Joan of Arc is my hero. Correction, Mila Jovavich who played Joan of Arc in a movie is my hero; therefore, Joan of Arc is my hero.

I think I will cry out, "FREEDOM!" It's my most quoted line from Braveheart and I can finally use it without people thinking I'm crazy.

OchrisO
12-06-2007, 09:13 PM
My parents let me watch horror movies like Friday the 13th, Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street as a kid and I don't have any problems as a result. I've always enjoyed being scared and still do, though it very very rarely happens now. Fear is healthy.

Darkthoughts
12-07-2007, 03:37 AM
Well, dealing with fear is all a part of growing up - starting with separation anxiety and stemming out from there. But I think fear is only healthy for children, if they're given as much as they can cope with and comprehend at a time.

Like, what they learn from separation anxiety is that, even though being parted from your parent is stressful, they always return so it's a bearable experience despite the anxiety.
With a horror film, or a scary book, it wouldn't necessarily be apparent to a child why these scary things were happening, or for what purpose. And i don't think they need to deal with that sort of stress.

OchrisO
12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
I think I'm a better person for watching all kinds of scary shit as a kid. *shrug*

Sai_Rhavan
12-07-2007, 06:01 PM
I totally agree- I just wish my family had waited a year or two before showing me Night of the Living Dead. I still have a zombie phobia.

CyberGhostface
12-08-2007, 04:46 PM
I read the first two books and didn't think much of them. I liked the polar bears and the relationship between "daemons" and regular people but besides that, it didn't really affect me.

To me, Pullman comes off as a bit of a prick. After reading what he said about C.S. Lewis and Tolkien and his general views towards my beliefs I don't have any desire to finish the third book.

I'm not a "fundie", I believe in evolution and I support the rights of gay people and I'm generally open-minded but that doesn't mean I'm going to like it when someone says "Your religion is wrong! Its responsible for all the bad things in the world! You're living a lie! Let's all kill God!"

Heck, if he said the same thing about the Muslim religion or Mormon beliefs and how that's wrong I'd also be ticked off.

At least Lewis was (for the most part) subtle with his beliefs in Narnia and said "It doesn't matter what religion you follow as long as you lead a good life".

OchrisO
12-08-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm not a "fundie", I believe in evolution and I support the rights of gay people and I'm generally open-minded but that doesn't mean I'm going to like it when someone says "Your religion is wrong! Its responsible for all the bad things in the world! You're living a lie! Let's all kill God!"

Heck, if he said the same thing about the Muslim religion or Mormon beliefs and how that's wrong I'd also be ticked off.

Not at all implying that you do, but a great deal of christians, especially Fundamental Christians, do just that. I used to be a rather devout Christian when I was younger and I saw it all around me all the time. It disgusted me, and was a large part of why I grew away from organized religion. The odd thing to me was always that there is a large population of Christians who take the approach of making sure to tell anyone who believes something other than The Holy Bible that they are completely wrong and will burn in hell if they do not come into the fold, but then they act like it is the biggest wrong ever perpetuated by man if someone comes out into the open saying that Christianity is in the wrong. It would be nice if everyone could just follow their own religions and not worry about what others think, but in thecurrent climate of the world, that will never happen. Given that, it sort of makes me happy to see an author, or anyone for that matter, who is brave enough to speak out how they feel, especially when it i against such a daunting prescence as Christianity. *shrug*

Once again, I am not implying that you do or are doing that now, but the people who take the biggest and most vocal offense to what he writes are very often the people who do the exact same thing to other religions, people like Jerry Fallwell(if he were still around, he'd be all over this in the edia right now). Pat Robertson, Fred Phelps, etc.

CyberGhostface
12-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Not at all implying that you do, but a great deal of christians, especially Fundamental Christians, do just that. I used to be a rather devout Christian when I was younger and I saw it all around me all the time. It disgusted me, and was a large part of why I grew away from organized religion.

And on the flipside, in my personal life (and not the internet) I have never met a single religious person who forced their religion on me, told me I'd burn in Hell if I didn't, etceteras, etceteras. On the other hand, 90% of the people I know who have publicly identified themselves of atheists have all acted down upon the people who DID believe in a God and ranted on how everything bad with the world had to do with religion, and the world would be a better place without it.

The odd thing to me was always that there is a large population of Christians who take the approach of making sure to tell anyone who believes something other than The Holy Bible that they are completely wrong and will burn in hell if they do not come into the fold, but then they act like it is the biggest wrong ever perpetuated by man if someone comes out into the open saying that Christianity is in the wrong.

I don't believe that one burns in Hell if they don't follow God. I believe that as long as someone leads a good, honest life even if it doesn't follow every bible verse to the 't' will get into Heaven. And I don't care if someone doesn't believe in God or doesn't follow my specific beliefs as long as they don't go out of their way to prove my beliefs wrong, just as I don't go out of my way to prove their belief system wrong.

It would be nice if everyone could just follow their own religions and not worry about what others think, but in thecurrent climate of the world, that will never happen. Given that, it sort of makes me happy to see an author, or anyone for that matter, who is brave enough to speak out how they feel, especially when it i against such a daunting prescence as Christianity. *shrug*

Actually, given that Christianity is a majority that makes it easier to insult and get away with it. Had Pullman attacked Jews or Muslims there'd be far more of a public outcry.

Once again, I am not implying that you do or are doing that now, but the people who take the biggest and most vocal offense to what he writes are very often the people who do the exact same thing to other religions, people like Jerry Fallwell(if he were still around, he'd be all over this in the edia right now). Pat Robertson, Fred Phelps, etc.

So far this messageboard posting is as vocal as I've ever gotten. Actions speak louder than words. I'm just not going to spend money on his books or films. And given that the film is looking like its going to be a flop (of course, given that its pissing off the book fans for changing a bit isn't helping) it appears I'm not the only one.

OchrisO
12-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Living in the Bible Belt, I very often encountered a lot of Christians who pushed religion on you. I've met people who were much like you as well, but quite a few more of the other time, sadly. The type of Christian that I feel would make the world a much better place is sadly in the minority, at least where I am from.

My point though, is why is it ok for so many outspoken Christian ministers and such to put down other religions and it is such a huge outcry when people of a differing viewpoint speak out? You, of course aren't the one to answer for that, because you are clearly of the better breed of Christian, but it makes a good hypothetical question anyway.

:ETA: Oh, and for the record, I'm not actually an atheist. I currently classify myself as "confused," because I have no idea what I think is true anymore. I am starting to think that maybe that is the best place to be.

Jean
12-08-2007, 11:47 PM
dear friends: please don't drift too far off topic. There's a specific thread dedicated to Religious Discussion (here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=914)).

OchrisO
12-09-2007, 12:00 AM
This is all in how it ties to the controversy over The Golden Compass, though.

CyberGhostface
12-09-2007, 06:35 AM
My point though, is why is it ok for so many outspoken Christian ministers and such to put down other religions and it is such a huge outcry when people of a differing viewpoint speak out? You, of course aren't the one to answer for that, because you are clearly of the better breed of Christian, but it makes a good hypothetical question anyway.

I don't know. I don't think its okay, and I'm fairly certain that most of these ministers who are public figures are looked down upon by the rest of society. I mean, was Jerry Falwell really considered to be a good person by the rest of us?

Jean
12-09-2007, 07:39 AM
My point though, is why is it ok for so many outspoken Christian ministers and such to put down other religions and it is such a huge outcry when people of a differing viewpoint speak out?
Probably because it is ministers' job? To promote what they believe in for the sake of the salvation (they believe in, too) of the people they (as they believe) are responsible for? While those "other people" mostly have only one purpose, namely, to put down Christianity, - without even making difference between Christian theology and Christian clericalism, or historical forms of Christianity, or even different Christian nominations which, I can assure you, are more different than they are similar.

The previous paragraph of this post of mine clearly shows that this thread is not the right place for discussions of this kind, and is an example of what this thread shouldn't turn into. We are moving further and further away from the book, overblowing only one aspect, namely that which will swell like a tumor as more and more people get involved, and bury the thread under itself. I completely agree with OchrisO that everything everyone has said so far was [more or less] relevant, but please please don't let it get out of hand! So, if there're any more general thoughts on religion, let's go with them to Religious Discussion, where they belong; then we could come back here with the practical application of whatever conclusions we might reach there. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Erin
01-20-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm almost 3/4 of the way done with the 2nd book in the series, The Subtle Knife and let me tell you, I am HOOKED. Today at work, I read for my entire lunch break and I literally had to pry myself away to go back to work.

I absolutely love Lyra as a character. She's so fiesty and courageous. And Will is really pulling at my heart-strings too. It's so sad that he was forced to grow up so quickly due to his mother's illness and can barely enjoy himself under the crushing weight of all the responsibility he holds.

As of right now I don't know what to think of Lord Asriel. On one hand I admire him and on the other, I despise him, especially

for killing Roger

Anyways, I'm enjoying this book far more than I did The Golden Compass (although I really liked it as well) due to the switching back and forth between the multiple worlds, like in the Dark Tower. It's good stuff.

Oh and Ms. Coulter is a bitch and her monkey daemon needs to die :lol:

sarah
01-21-2008, 08:04 AM
The subtle Knife if my favorite of the three. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Keep us posted when you finish The Amber Spyglass.

Darkthoughts
01-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I think I dug The Subtle Knife the most too. Second would be Northern Lights and The Amber Spyglass last, it got over involved towards the end.

Erin
01-25-2008, 10:50 PM
I finished The Subtle Knife last night. What a wonderful book.

I cried like a baby when Lee Scoresby and Hester died.

sarah
01-26-2008, 08:38 AM
yeah, Erin that was sad. I'm glad to hear you're done and will be moving onto the Amber Spyglass.

Daghain
01-27-2008, 11:32 PM

Marry me? :lol:

I read Grimm's Fairy Tales as a kid. I think scary stores are a perfect precursor for adulthood. Nothing will freak you out after a good dose of the Grimm brothers. :lol:

That said, I think I need to pick these up. I am totally intrigued now. :)

Bumbler
06-29-2008, 11:02 AM
I first started reading Compass in the childrens section of a book store around the time The Grren Mile chapters were comming out. I have always considered the trilogy as one of my favorites. The film looked great but made no sense. Makes me worry that the DK on film could end up more like Compass than Rings.

LemurJones
07-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I read the trilogy after I heard some of the smack pullman talked about religion and whatnot, because my little brother borrowed them from a friend of his. (along with watership down. I like watership down a great deal.)

Pullman's writing is so... bleh. It's like he tries (and fails) to emulate the style of the writers he wants to be the opposite of. From a writing standpoint, I don't think he's very good. (Although I don't hold that against Stephen King, either.)

What bothers me is that his storytelling is also bland and colorless. The setting was unimpressive because just about EVERYBODY ELSE had already done the "other worlds than these" route before him. The main characters were unsympathetic and the portrayal of pretty much anyone who wasn't them was extremely classist and insulting. The only character I didn't want to steamroll into the ground was Will, and the initial interest wore off real fuckin quick because he turned out to be as one-dimensional as everybody else. The plot was stale, and the resolution was ridiculous. The only thing I liked was the idea of the daemons, but it's not like he invented the idea of spiritual guides/counterparts that take the shapes of animals or anything.

I was mildly interested in the bear society and the witches, but instead of doing something worthwhile with them he just turned them into the same old plotless one-dimensional shit that you got from Victorian novels whenever they gave a quick-and-dirty treatment to any non-caucasian ethnic group.

I finished the third book completely unimpressed and with a vague feeling that the author was a prick. When I read in greater detail afterwards some of the stuff he said about why he wrote the books, I was even LESS impressed and thought he was a HUGE prick. If you want to write a story, that's one thing. But if you're only doing it because you're some no-talent atheist who's feeling sour grapes because its the religious guys who got all the popularity and made all the money, then you should just keep it to yourself instead of inflicting the populace with your bullshit.

Glam Princess
07-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I read all three....ans was not really impressed.
Golden compass was pretty good, Subtle Knife was fair and Amber Spyglass was bleh....but I had already read the other two so I thought I should finish them
I wanted to like them.
Instead they were a dissapointment:nope: ....so I after I finished that mess I started rereading Harry Potter....and THAT makes me happy!!

Seymour_Glass
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
I think that the writing was too dry, but I enjoyed it immensely. And yes Phil Pullman probably is a prick, but I don't hold that against him.

Seymour_Glass
06-05-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm rereading it and wondering why I posted that post because it's all a lie.

candy
06-06-2009, 03:13 AM
i loved these books, tbh i had never heard of them until the film came out and all the outcry about religion etc etc etc.

i dont think the books are anti religion at all, they are in fact anti religious establishment but not anti religion.

i loved his writing and found it to be very colourful and descriptive and fell in love with all the characters, even the bad ones:wtf:

in fact i think they are due a reread, as i've only read them once and this thread has got my all curious to read them again:pirate:

Seymour_Glass
06-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I just reread them and it was wonderful.

sarajean
06-06-2009, 06:07 PM
i intend to re-read them soon...as soon as i finish the other 394824 books that are waiting.

ladykatherine
06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
oh wow, i remember reading these in middle school! I always loved the idea of rebuilding/redesigning the worlds. These books were so imaginative and smart, that I must admit I didn't understand some of the religious things until I was in high school.

I still think it's funny in a sad sort of way that half the people in my church picketing against the movie had no idea why they were there. :wtf: sorry, but if you're against something, shouldn't you know why? hehehe.

Seymour_Glass
06-08-2009, 10:56 PM
It's true. And they downed it down so much for the film version. I was also kinda pissed off about how the movie didn't have an ending.

ladykatherine
06-08-2009, 11:25 PM
I KNOW!! Why couldn't they just use the ending in the book? I didnt see a reason for that other than the how the cliffhanger would make people have heart attacks, cause i know I nearly did! :) But at least it was an ending...

Seymour_Glass
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I know! And if there was a sequel, there would be some serious problems with its flow, because they have to start with the ending to the first film...

candy
06-09-2009, 09:48 AM
I know! And if there was a sequel, there would be some serious problems with its flow, because they have to start with the ending to the first film...

app there was supposed to be a sequel quite rapidly after but it all seems to have gone quiet, which i hope does not mean they are not doin one?:angry:

Seymour_Glass
06-09-2009, 12:54 PM
There's been all sortsa talk flung around about the sequels, and it isn't all optimistic.

Seymour_Glass
06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Have any of you read Lyra's Oxford?

ladysai
06-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Have any of you read Lyra's Oxford?

Haven't heard of it.
Is it a part of the same storyline as the Dark Materials series?

Seymour_Glass
06-09-2009, 08:30 PM
It's a weird little book of odds and ends, but the meat of it is this story, I think it's called "Lyra and the Birds", but I'm not sure and my laziness prevents me from looking it up.
Anyway, the story is about Lyra and Pan a couple years after the end of The AMber Spyglass. I really liked it. Pullman also said he was going to write a similar story about Will.

ladykatherine
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Now that's an interesting idea! I've always wondered what happened to Will and Lyra after the Amber Spyglass. Maybe it was just extreme curiosity and annoyance at it having to end, but still, it'd be great to have some sort of insight...