PDA

View Full Version : A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King

Bev Vincent
08-12-2011, 02:18 AM
TCM Presents The Horrors of Stephen King (http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=20467)

Cinematically-speaking, what scared Stephen King?

Turner Classic Movies is going to explore this in a new doc produced by DreamWorks Television and award-winning filmmaker and author Laurent Bouzereau, a man who has been involved in a number of featurettes for King-themed special edition DVD releases like Christine.

In October, TCM will premiere A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King, with the master storyteller himself discussing the classic horror films that influenced him the most.

Premiering on Monday, October 3, at 8 p.m. (ET), Stephen King discusses how he discovered terror at the movies. The best-selling author and filmmaker takes viewers on a journey through many aspects of the horror genre, including vampires, zombies, demons and ghosts. He also examines the fundamental reasons behind moviegoers’ incessant craving for being frightened. Along the way, he discusses the movies that have had a real impact on his writing, including Freaks (1932), Cat People (1942), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956), Night of the Living Dead (1968), The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), Jaws (1975), Halloween (1978) and The Changeling (1980), to name a few.

A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King will kick off an entire month of classic horror on TCM, with each Monday night’s lineup packed with memorable chillers. The offerings include Universal classics like Frankenstein (1931) and The Wolf Man (1941), Val Lewton thrillers like Cat People (1942) and I Walked with a Zombie (1943), Hammer classics like Horror of Dracula (1958) and cult favorites from William Castle and Roger Corman, to name a few.

mae
08-12-2011, 05:05 AM
Sounds awesome.

jhanic
08-12-2011, 05:22 AM
I'm a frequent viewer of TCM (I do like the oldies!) so I'm really looking forward to this!

John

Ricky
08-12-2011, 07:51 AM
I'll have to try to remember this as the date gets closer. It sounds good.

mae
09-28-2011, 10:03 PM
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Night-Movies-Horrors-Stephen-King-Review-35523.html

Stephen King is truly a man of words. That may sound like an obvious statement, considering he’s a writer, but beyond knowing how to tell a great story, King is also extremely well spoken. It’s for this reason that fans of King and the horror genre alike will appreciate TCM’s upcoming special A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King, which features the author as he discusses horror films.

TCM is set to air classic horror films over the course of the month of October, which is as close to “horror season” as it gets, if such a season were to exist. Who better to kick things off than the master of horror himself, Stephen King. As part of their ongoing series A Night at the Movies, TCM will feature King in a special that’s completely dedicated to the horror genre. The format for the special is fairly simple. King sits and talks about horror films, while clips of some of the films he mentions are shown. Nothing more is needed because there isn’t a moment in the special that doesn’t include some interesting insight from King’s mind, including personal anecdotes from his past and opinions on some known and lesser known scary movies.

I’ll admit that my appreciation for the horror genre is limited. Maybe one out of every five “hit” scary movies interests me, however listening to the way King speaks of horror, discussing classic films, B movies, and modern-day scary movies, not to mention films based on his own books, it’s easy to appreciate the greatness and cinematic relevance of the genre. Among the most interesting things King discusses is the “moral queasiness” that comes with some of the later sequels of popular horror franchises, when viewers begin to watch to see the villain defeat the victims rather than to see how the villain is defeated. I'd associate the term "moral queasiness" with my feelings about the Saw movies, which is why I won’t watch them, however I’ll admit to appreciating death’s creativity in the Final Destination films, so who am I to judge? In the end, as King points out, horror films provide an experience for viewers.

Stephen King has a real knack for explaining what works with horror films and considering his career is filled with things that really work, it’s probably fair to say he’s an expert on the subject. If you’re a horror movie fan and the idea of spending an hour listening to King talk about horror movies sounds like your thing, check out A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King when it airs Monday, October 3rd at 8:00 p.m. ET/PT on TCM.

Merlin1958
10-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Sounds awesome.

Ditto!!!!

educatedlady
10-02-2011, 09:33 AM
I'm so glad I clicked on this thread. This is now on my calendar for tomorrow. Awesome.

Ben Staad
10-02-2011, 09:55 AM
I just set my DVR!!! This should be a fun show to watch.

Heather19
10-02-2011, 10:01 AM
I don't get TCM :( For some reason it only comes in the sports package. Hopefully it'll go up on ondemand because I'd love to see it.

Ricky
10-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Jeeze, I forgot this was tomorrow!

Ari_Racing
10-02-2011, 02:31 PM
If anyone can record it and share it later, awesome! :)

jhanic
10-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Well, I just watched it and was not too impressed. In just an hour, they tried to cover WAY too many different movies. Result was a mess. They should have run this at least two or three or even four hours, with more film clips, etc. King did okay, but he really needed much more time.

John

CRinVA
10-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Disappointing! I recorded it so will probalby watch some time tonight! Well maybe not tonight - got to watch Baseball and squeeze in Sons of Anarchy!!!!

Ben Staad
10-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Disappointing! I recorded it so will probalby watch some time tonight! Well maybe not tonight - got to watch Baseball and squeeze in Sons of Anarchy!!!!

Me too! Roar!!!!!!

Ricky
10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
The time conflicted with other shows I was watching, so I skipped it. However, they plan on re-running it throughout the month so I'll probably catch it sometime.

mikeC
10-10-2011, 12:12 PM
I enjoyed this quite a bit.
I could listen to Uncle Stevie talk about movies for hours.
If he could make Danse Macrabe as a documentary that would be awesome.