PDA

View Full Version : The Whedonverse

Pages : [1] 2 3

sarajean
10-31-2007, 07:47 PM
okay, so, we have a bunch of buffy/angel/firefly fans here, but we don't have a thread.

i found this while looking for pictures of jayne and vera, and it made me think of monte:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/sarajeanm/3082624028.jpg

images/moments/episodes, whatever...what are your favourites?

Daghain
10-31-2007, 07:49 PM
When Jayne gets his ass kicked by River in Serenity. And when Wash is all "Tell me again how the little girl kicked the big guy's ass. I can never hear that enough." :rofl:

Darkthoughts
11-01-2007, 08:37 AM
I've not seen Serenity or Firefly :(

I did dig out my Buffy videos last night though, for a rerun of the Halloween ep where they all get turned into the costumes they're wearing :thumbsup:

Storyslinger
11-01-2007, 08:37 AM
I took out the series finally of Angel, too bad it had to end

Daghain
11-01-2007, 08:47 AM
I've not seen Serenity or Firefly

WHAT??? You must - you'll LOVE it! :D

Heather19
11-01-2007, 01:42 PM
I second that. Firefly was great. I was kinda hoping that after Serenity they would put it back on the air.

Brice
11-01-2007, 01:47 PM
I think when I return home I might begin the long process of watching the complete Buffy/Angel series.

MonteGss
11-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi, my name is Monte and I'm a Buffy fan.

My wife got me hooked on Buffy when we were dating. She watched a few from around s4 and I found myself laughing along. I then, of course, had to start from the beginning and watched the whole series in time for me to tune in to s7.

I didn't start watching Angel until Buffy ended. I found out about Firefly from a friend.

Oh, and just so you all know, I totally know my Buffy trivia so don't even try. :P

Darkthoughts
11-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Alrighty then...wtf is the cheese hat guy all about? :P

MonteGss
11-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Are you too cool for cheese? :lol:

ZoNeSeeK
11-01-2007, 05:26 PM
buffy was one of the best series ever :P

sarah
11-01-2007, 06:24 PM
oh shite, i just saw this thread.

coolness to the max

Best News Ever! Joss Whedon Spills Exclusive Deets on His New Series
Categories: dollhouse Hear that? It's the sound of Joss Whedon fans around the world freaking the frak out. (And I am one of them!)

I'm thrilled to tell you that just this afternoon, Joss Whedon rang me up to break the news that after a long, Whedonless TV drought, we Buffy fans are finally getting another TV series created by Mr. Whedon himself. Hell. Yeah.

While you scream, hyperventilate and then (hopefully) recover, I will tell you this: The news gets even better.

Whedon's new Fox series, called Dollhouse, stars Miss Eliza Dushku, best known as Faith to you Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans. And this show isn't just a pilot. It's already been given a seven-episode commitment by Fox. Woo!

Here's how Fox describes the series:

Echo (Eliza Dushku) [is] a young woman who is literally everybody's fantasy. She is one of a group of men and women who can be imprinted with personality packages, including memories, skills, language—even muscle memory—for different assignments. The assignments can be romantic, adventurous, outlandish, uplifting, sexual and/or very illegal. When not imprinted with a personality package, Echo and the others are basically mind-wiped, living like children in a futuristic dorm/lab dubbed the Dollhouse, with no memory of their assignments—or of much else. The show revolves around the childlike Echo's burgeoning self-awareness, and her desire to know who she was before, a desire that begins to seep into her various imprinted personalities and puts her in danger both in the field and in the closely monitored confines of the Dollhouse.

So, how did Dollhouse come about? When will it start, given the impending strike? And what are the chances a few Buffy alums might make it onto the show? To find out, read on for my exclusive one-on-one Q&As with creator and executive producer Joss Whedon and star and producer Eliza Dushku. (Pinch me.) You honestly won't believe how fast this all happened, or where the idea first began!

Oh, and P.S. to all you fans of writer/producer Tim Minear (Angel, Wonderfalls, Firefly, Drive). He tells us: "Joss has pathetically begged me to be involved. And I hate to see a slightly younger man weep like a girl. So I said, 'm'kay.' I'll be playing with dolls one way or t'other."

This might be too much goodness to bear, no?!

JOSS WHEDON

So, first of all, congratulations! I'm freaking out. And thanks for thinking of me for this news.
You're welcome, and thank you. I remember last time I saw you on the Office set, you said, "Come back to TV." So, it was all you. That's what caused it, so...

Ha! Well, thank you for doing this for me.
Yes, that's going to be the poster: "Dollhouse: It's for Kristin."

I love that you are reuniting with Ms. Eliza Dushku.
I know. How 'bout that?

Can you tell me how this all came about?
Through a rather time-honored tradition called "lunch." Eliza had her deal with Fox, and we went to lunch, as we sometimes do, to talk about her career and what her next step should be. Like, do I know writers, and what was the best way to protect herself, and what type of show. Eliza and I do this sometimes, because she's a friend and a great talent, and that's easily misused. She was trying to protect herself, and I was trying to get a free lunch. In the middle of lunch, I came up with the idea of this show and the title by accident.

Tell me this isn't that easy for you...that it just came to you in between bites.
I went to the bathroom and came back and said, "I figured it out." So, there it is. It took longer than between bites. It came so organically through our conversation, and what I know she is capable of, and what she was talking about and what people were expecting of her. It just kinda happened, and when it happens like that and it has a title, that's a big deal—if it has a title, you can't just turn your back on it. So, I told her, and she freaked out, and I told her I was busy with these films I am trying to set up, but Fox is interested, and Fox said let's do seven episodes instead of a pilot, and here I am.

So, you have a seven-episode commitment?
Yeah.

In your own words, how would you describe Dollhouse?
The idea is those with the money or connections can access this secret highly illegal facility where they can basically fulfill their greatest fantasies. Most people assume that means sex—and on an occasion it does, because that is a lot of people's fantasies—but it's basically scenarios. They can basically reenact scenarios of romance, adventure or anything perfectly, because they become the person that you want them to be—they become that person. They don't act like that person, they are not a robot pretending, they become that person, and then they forget all about it. The problem is the character of Echo, Eliza Dushku's character, stops forgetting. She doesn't completely remember, but she does realize she is a person, and that she might have been a person before she did this, and she doesn't know what that is.

Do you feel like this is a very different role for Eliza, or are there some commonalities with her Buffy or Tru Calling roles?
Every now and then she will be called upon to kick ass because one of the many personalities she can get downloaded with is sort of a Femme Nikita—she can be the best of whatever she does, and that includes sweat work—and whatever she is hired for and she isn't harmed, and the company isn't exposed, they don't really care what it is. Some of her jobs are sweet and uplifting, but yeah, sometimes she'll be a sweet girl, others she will be that down-home Eliza thing—go Sox—and sometimes she will be completely elegant, completely naive, completely helpless. She could be a neuroscientist, she could be ballroom dancing, she could be doing absolutely anything.

The thing about Eliza is that she has a lot of colors to play like most good actresses, but Eliza has kinda gotten pigeonholed. I see those big eyes, and I see the innocence they can play, the decency that is in them and the way that we can refer, and that isn't just hey, I'm the tough girl. There's much more there.

Why the decision to return to television now? Do you feel like you are finally ready to dig back in?
I have to say, when they told me seven, part of me was like tired, scared...basically because I haven't been in that world, and I have children, and I don't like to not be around them, which is problematic. But the fact is, it was also somebody saying we trust that you can tell this story, and we love this story, so go and tell it. That's a damn boat of confidence. That's a grown-up license fee, it was a big commitment, and they weren't afraid at any point. My experience with the movies hasn't gone quite as well. It isn't terrible to hear yes, instead of the other thing.

In terms of TV, I have tried to be very clear that there's nothing about TV that I don't love. I mean, I've always loved movies, and I still want to make movies—movies are cool, but TV has things that movies never have. The ability to really just delve into something and take it apart endlessly, which I adore. It's very organic.

I went home to my wife, and we've been talking about doing lower-budget movies and not being beholden by these tent-pole things that I couldn't get off the ground, and I said, "Honey, I accidentally created this Fox show," and she said great. She completely got it because it was completely organic. It was the next thing—you couldn't deny it. When an idea comes that fast and that fully, you don't ever say no.

The bathroom trip that changed Joss Whedon's life.
[Laughs.] I hate to say it, but occasionally there have been some inspirational bathroom trips. Or if I am at a restaurant with the writers, and they go, and when they come back and have figured it out. I think it's just getting a moment to yourself. Though, we have to stress it's not the act of going to the bathroom...that's not good! That's not what it is.

I wanted to ask about the timing of this. This is being announced a day or two before the writers' strike. How will this affect the show?
All of this happened before the strike. They had to make my deal, and you can't say anything until the deal is done. Eliza has been sitting on this for a month, and it all happened in a week. We had lunch, and a few days later I wrote a treatment, and then I wrote an episode guide, a pilot outline and even a poster. I Photoshopped a poster one night. A couple days after that I went to Fox, and a couple days later they gave us the seven. Eliza and I were dying to get onto the Internet or do something, and everyone was like, there's no deal yet so you can't say anything. So...now, when they finally close the deal, there is no more writing involved.

Wait, what? You mean all seven scripts have been written?
No, no—are you kidding? I didn't spend that much time in the bathroom. All seven scripts have been pitched, all stories have been pitched.

So, if the strike were to take place, it would delay the project...
This would delay everything. This is certainly no exception to anything. The strike has to happen. I wish it didn't, but it has to, and it has to go on for as long as it has to. When that is done, this will start and a few months after that, we will be filming. If there were no strike, we would be looking at something like February.

So, you support the strike?
I will be busy picketing. I support the guild, and I think what we are doing is unfortunate, but necessary. And that means I don't get to have my fun, but that isn't the point. It is classic for me, by the way, to be going, "Yes! New show! With Eliza!" But...Strike.

This will give your fans a light at the end of the tunnel in the event of a strike.
If they feel they are getting comfortable with their routine of reality television, let them know about this. It's going to be really cool. It is freaking nuts to be doing a show with Eliza, but it just feels great.

Do you think any Buffy people might come on the show, or do you think you are going to try to separate?
I think it's important to separate, but if you have somebody who can do the job, that is the person you should hire. When it comes to the first flush, I think it's important to be a step forward, and not a reunion. We aren't playing games. I never rule anybody out, but my first instinct is to try out new people because it is me and Eliza.

I have to tell you this is like Christmas for Buffy fans. They have been waiting for you to come back to television—so, we have this news tonight, and we have your Office episode tomorrow night...it's like this perfect storm of a Whedonverse holiday.
If it was six more things, it would be Hanukkah. I'll work on that.

ELIZA DUSHKU

Congrats on the show—this is so exciting. First off, how did it come about?
It was the best scenario. Basically, I went in with Peter [Chernin] and all the heads over at Fox, and they really honestly and really confidently told me that they wanted me to come in as a producer and an actress. They told me to bring them the material that in my heart I wanted to do.

So, I sat on it for a couple of weeks. I knew Joss was working on other things, and his Wonder Woman stuff, but he's been a friend since I moved out here, when I was 17. He became my favorite writer/genius, and I've always said I'll follow that guy anywhere. So, I called him just to have coffee, and talk about life and what I was going to do with this deal. And we got to talking. He just gets women, which is the most amazing thing. He gets them, and I think that was clear from all his past things, from Buffy.

He can use the science fiction, and he can use these metaphors or exaggerations—but he gets women, and he gets people. He gets down to the real human emotion and the real beating heart.

So, we talked about life, and we were telling each other crazy stories about the things we had done in the past time since we had talked, and the Internet and download that thing, and we talked about hunting, and that person with that fetish, and that thing we were trying to do, and that woman we knew, and that fear that we had, and all of the sudden, it was locked in, and the rest was history, and we have this crazy, exciting bomb-ass new show.

Are you already prepping to be Echo?
Yes, I'm already training and getting ready for it. I'll be a different Echo every week, which is great for my ADHD personality, it's truly—the stars aligned in this one, the timing, the people, the creative ability, the potential is really there. I can't wait for the fans to finally hear about it, because I've been asked about it for years, is there going to be a spinoff. Everything happens for a reason, and timing is just right here.

It sounds like you guys developed it together. Can you talk about how you came up with Echo, and the concept of the actual Dollhouse, and not just the show?
We did kind of come up with it together, and that's one of the cool things—I'll be one of the producers of the show and it's eventually kind of a story of my life. I've had kind of a crazy life, traveling around the world with my mother at a young age, going on these crazy trips and adventures, and then being in this business. It is the story of who I am, in this business especially, like the objectification of people, and who people want to make other people into, and people clicking a button and thinking they can make something happen.

We have so much control in this day and age with the Internet and television and what we want and our desires and fantasies and thinking we can make them come true. And all of this, I think, just makes this such a smart concept, because it's all infiltrated in there, and it's part me and it's part the world. It's part people's fantasies, people's demons, their high times, their low times, their hilarious times and in between, mixed with—I gotta have some serious action, because that's just, like, I realized that a procedural show isn't right for me. I need to be jumping out of a car or kicking butt or making love.

It sounds like you'll get to do all of that with this. Another thing I liked about the pitch was that there's a whole bunch of you, you're all in this dollhouse, and you're all trying to find yourselves one way or the other. Can you talk about other parts, other casting? Anything like that yet?
Yeah, we have, and it's nice, again, that we kind of have similar tastes. I think that we all know, we can kind of see it and feel it and taste it, and it's just kind of about putting it together, and getting the orchestra and getting all the variables into the equation. But we're both major fans of some of the previous people that we've worked with in other shows, and we also have writers from Buffy that are going to be coming over and joining us. It's just going to be—it's gonna be fun to watch I think. Because I think people are going to be excited at what we have.

Everyone is super-super-excited I guarantee you—I squealed.
The Red Sox won the World Series again, and things are good—I have my boy [Brad Penny], and he's going to be playing baseball for the Dodgers next year, and I'll be here shooting my show for Fox. It's all gonna be good.

sarajean
11-01-2007, 08:57 PM
excellent, maer! :thumbsup:

i found this and totally lost it:

http://www.adamwhiting.com/Firefly/other/EugeneTshirts/Wash-by-Torey.jpg i so want this shirt.

and these are awesome:

http://www.serenitystuff.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/doll_cast.jpg

Daghain
11-02-2007, 09:54 AM
sj, I totally need a linky for that shirt. DBF is so getting one for Xmas. :D

sarajean
11-02-2007, 12:34 PM
i don't think they're making them anymore. :(

i found it here (http://www.adamwhiting.com/Firefly/other/EugeneTshirts.html).

Daghain
11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Complete and total BUMMER. :(

Heather19
11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
Exciting news about the new show. It sounds pretty good.

MonteGss
11-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Will I get so worn and wrinkley that I look like David Brinkley?

sarajean
11-02-2007, 04:42 PM
am i crazy?

MonteGss
11-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Am I dreaming?

sarajean
11-02-2007, 04:54 PM
am i marrying a demon?

MonteGss
11-02-2007, 04:58 PM
sarajean:
We could really raise the beam in making marriage a hell!

(just thought of episode ____________*, when buffy and spike are engaged cuz of Willow's spell. :lol: )

*feel free to add title here

sarajean
11-02-2007, 05:01 PM
so, thank god, i'll never tell.

sarajean:
We could really raise the beam in making marriage a hell!

(just thought of episode something blue, when buffy and spike are engaged cuz of Willow's spell. :lol: )

*feel free to add title here

i did.

:D

MonteGss
11-02-2007, 05:06 PM
I knew you would. :D

sarajean
11-02-2007, 05:18 PM
and now you love me even more. :)

Ikilledthecrimsonking
11-02-2007, 05:21 PM
i never got into angle,firefly,or serenity but i used to watch buffy all the time

MonteGss
11-02-2007, 05:24 PM
You totally just looked that title up...you didn't know it by heart. :P

sarajean
11-02-2007, 05:27 PM
hmph. i can't believe you think so little of my skillz.

i thought you knew me, monte.

now i'm hurt.

:P

whatever.

MonteGss
11-02-2007, 05:29 PM
hmph. i can't believe you think so little of my skillz.

i thought you knew me, monte.

now i'm hurt.

whatever.

:lol:
I believe you. I only know a few titles by heart...so you would totally kick my ass there.

sarajean
11-02-2007, 05:36 PM
i remember titles of episodes that weren't crap. and that i've watched over and over. and most of the first season.

other than that...

sarah
11-04-2007, 03:10 PM
/me knows all the titles of all seven season.

yeah, that's right.

RUBE
11-04-2007, 08:04 PM
Shiny

Daghain
11-04-2007, 08:24 PM

DBF and I have been trying to work Firefly vernacular into common usage for awhile now. :D

ZoNeSeeK
11-12-2007, 11:59 PM
I really need to get the whole set of Firefly :)

Steve
11-13-2007, 12:25 AM
That'd be gorramn shiny.

*yes, I am a Browncoat*

Daghain
11-13-2007, 07:50 AM
VERY shiny. :D

MonteGss
11-13-2007, 11:05 AM
As far as "main" characters go, not series, Mal Reynolds is Joss's best one. That guy cracks me up. :)

Wuducynn
11-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Just wanted to chime in here as a Serenity fan..I have only seen parts of the series but not a whole show yet...okay chill out. I love the movie and will be getting the series on DVD. Some folks I know said I reminded them personality wise of Mal.

Daghain
11-19-2007, 09:01 PM
You MUST see Firefly!!! You'll LOVE it!!!!

ETA: You're Jayne, dude. :lol:

Wuducynn
11-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Really? Okay, personally I don't see me as Mal either except we're both good with guns, but I've had three different folk say so..odd. I hear they're thinking about making another Serenity.

Daghain
11-19-2007, 09:15 PM
You totally need to watch the series...when Jayne offers Vera for Mal's wife?

Yeah, that's YOU. :lol:

Wuducynn
11-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Thing is Jayne seems a bit on the slow on the uptake side. Definitely not me there. Maybe I'm a combo.

Daghain
11-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Maybe. But Jayne offering Vera for Saffron? Yeah, totally you. :lol:

Wuducynn
11-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Well, can't wait to see it. I hope they make the right choice and make a second movie..

sarajean
11-19-2007, 09:31 PM
i've heard that alan tudyk was talking about it, but there has been no confirmation. personality-wise, i see you as Jayne, CK.

"i won't get et!!!"

Wuducynn
11-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Okay. I'm definitely more into pistols than grenades though :D and (I hope) a little faster on the uptake than Jayne..

Daghain
11-19-2007, 09:38 PM
You totally need to see it. :lol:

sarajean
11-19-2007, 09:40 PM
i'm just saying you're more like jayne than mal. your grammar is better than the both of them combined, if that makes you feel any better. :D

Daghain
11-19-2007, 09:43 PM

CK is Jayne's brother. :lol:

Wuducynn
11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
:rofl:

Steve
11-22-2007, 09:15 PM
God, I love Firefly. I'm a hardcore Browncoat (even got a few props from the show).

Daghain
11-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Firefly/Serenity = #1 in my book! :D

Wuducynn
11-22-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I'm a hard-core Browncoat too, in more ways than one.

Lance
11-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Awesome thread SJ. :D This is a rant but because it involved the Whedonverse I'll put it here. Months ago I re rented Season 3 of Angel. from Blockbuster. I ended up losing it in my living room. I was positive that I had returned it along with about three other dvds. Well about a month and a half ago my gf ended up cleaning up all the clutter of my living room and found it. I tried to return it but they said that since it had been more than sixty days they had charged it to my account. Well I told the GM up front that I wasn't going to pay 70$ for a set of dvd's I had right there to give back. We went back and forth for a while and I ended up leaving with the set. The good news is that I now own season three for free. The bad news is that I can't rent from BB again. Which really sucks since they're the twe stores closest to me.

Daghain
11-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Netflix, baby. :D

Steve
11-22-2007, 10:38 PM
I also enjoyed "Alien: Resurrection," which seemed like a proto-Firefly (especially the crew of the Betty).

Wuducynn
11-22-2007, 10:50 PM
I just saw that I can pick up the entire Firefly series for about 40 bucks on Amazon. :D

Daghain
11-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Oh, great. Now I have to go get it. :lol:

Wuducynn
11-22-2007, 11:33 PM
Last week I bought the Collectors Edition Serenity. Totally worth it for the extra bucks.

Daghain
11-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Excellent!

Heather19
11-23-2007, 12:46 PM
I just saw that I can pick up the entire Firefly series for about 40 bucks on Amazon. :D

I would hold off on getting it for that price. It often goes lower than that. I've seen it for close to $20 quite a few times, and sometimes even as low as $15 if you're lucky. And with the holidays coming up I'm sure someone will have it on sale for cheap.

Mattrick
11-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Not to start a battle or anything but I'm curious on what is so good about Firefly? It was only on TV for three months before getting cancelled yet I hear people rave about how its one of the best TV series ever made...so why was it cancelled? I can't see a station cancelling a show if it's loved and has as large of a fanbase as it appears to have. The fact it didn't even last a full season (unless I'm wrong) is enough to make me not to want to watch it, beside the fact Whedon created it.

I just want to know, what is so good about this cancelled television show that the fanbase is so expansive? It simply looks like another cheesy, science fiction show like Andromeda or Deep Space Nine so I'm wondering if I'm wrong on this. Considering I though Buffy and Angel were god awful, what did Whedon do in this series to make me change my opinion on him?

Serenity did little to grab my attention either but perhaps the advertising was just really bad. My dad seen it, said it was above average.

Maybe it's just because I, personally, have never seen the appeal in most TV shows and sci-fi shows have a long history of being incredibly cheesy and hokey. If I get some decent answers I may look into it. My brother has been telling me to watch Battlestar Galactica for over a year but every preview I see makes it look cheeseball.

Steve
11-23-2007, 09:07 PM
Just watch it. It ain't hokey, it ain't cheeseball. Fox canceled it because they put it at a time where most people are (a) at high school football games, or (b) on the road for the weekend. The Friday time-slot of death. Goddamn Fox.

Daghain
11-23-2007, 09:28 PM
:thumbsup:

What Steve said. Watch it, and form your own opinion. NEVER rely on others' opinions. :D

And the new BSG? WATCH IT. :D

Mattrick
11-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Just watch it. It ain't hokey, it ain't cheeseball. Fox canceled it because they put it at a time where most people are (a) at high school football games, or (b) on the road for the weekend. The Friday time-slot of death. Goddamn Fox.

big question; Is there any kind of dininitive conclusion? Can I watch it beginning to end and have it feel complete, as a whole? I hear people complain about how Carnivale finished which is why, though I've wanted to, watch it. Is Serenity a follow up?

Second big question; Is it done in a similar style as Buffy and Angel were done in? I enjoyed buffy when I was twelve but never stuck with it, never went back. Buffy and Angel just wasn't my thing. So my views on what Whedon is capable of is a little skewed. Firefly seems about as opposite of Buffy and Angel as you can get.

Steve
11-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Watch the series, then read the graphic novel bridging the gap "Serenity: Those Left Behind," then watch the film "Serenity." It's sooo worth it.

sarajean
12-03-2007, 01:59 PM

not only this, but FOX has a tendency to cancel things after a relatively short period of time if the show isn't living up to the high expectations they set forth for it.

they broadcast the episodes out of sequence, so some people felt that they were coming into a story without having any clue what was going on and were turned off. many of them eventually returned to the fold when the DVDs were released as they could finally watch the episodes in some sort of chronological order. FOX was showing commercials for "the girl in the box" for weeks before the show even premiered, but didn't even show that episode until 3 or 4 weeks in.

the pilot was actually the last episode ever aired on FOX.

firefly is some of the best television ever. it was better than buffy and it was better than angel. and this is coming from me, a diehard buffy and angel fan. i have not had one person who sat down and watched the series come back and tell me they didn't enjoy it. not one.

ps. say, your coat's kind of a brownish colour, isn't it?

Erin
12-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Mattrick:

I've seen the first season of Buffy and really couldn't get into it. I'll eventually watch the rest of the show and Angel, but i'm dragging my feet because of how little I liked that season.

That being said, I loved loved loved LOVED Firefly. It's an excellent show and worth watching. :D

Sympathy For The Devil
12-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Im a huge firefly fan, i didnt really dig serenity all that much though but i loooovvvveeee firefly, its a disgrace that the show was cancelled. I never really got into buffy/angel, although i loved the buffy movie when it first came out when i was like 11, i even had a cat called buffy.

Id love it if joss whedon could bring back the show somehow, imo its porbably the best adventure show ever, for me every episode was like watchin star wars or indiana jones, its sad when they cancel this but still have all those shite csi programs on every night of the god damned week.

P.s Sorry if i offended any csi fans.

MonteGss
12-13-2007, 04:31 AM
Fuck the CSI fans! :lol:

sarajean
12-13-2007, 01:59 PM
does anyone else have the serenity graphic novel? i was reading it again the other day, and jo chen's kaylee cover looks eerily similar to our own dear erin.

Daghain
12-13-2007, 10:03 PM
There is a GRAHPIC NOVEL??? Why was I not told????

Linky?

Erin
12-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Well geez. I googled that Kaylee cover and was surprised. It does kinda look like me. :orely: Especially the nose and eye area. Weird!

MonteGss
12-14-2007, 05:19 AM
Link to hot pics of Erin/Kaylee? Anyone? :D

Erin
12-14-2007, 11:52 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/MidWorldGirl/kaylee.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/MidWorldGirl/erin-6.jpg

CPU
12-14-2007, 12:16 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/MidWorldGirl/kaylee.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y129/MidWorldGirl/erin-6.jpg

:o
:clap: :excited: :onfire:

Lance
12-14-2007, 12:22 PM
That is mondo cool. :cool:

sarajean
12-14-2007, 04:44 PM
there was a series of comics released at the same time as the movie, detailing what had happened between the end of the series and the beginning of the movie. the various volumes are now comprised in one graphic novel called serenity: those left behind. (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DH10759)

:eta: i told you she looked like you! it looks even more like you in my book. :)

MonteGss
12-14-2007, 05:06 PM
You're right, those are hot pictures! :)

Daghain
12-14-2007, 05:10 PM
Wow, they DO look alike!

CPU
01-31-2008, 04:22 PM
I finally got ahold of the Buffy Chosen boxed set (40 DVD's!), and picked up the Angel boxed set at the same time. I already had the Firefly series, and a copy of Serenity so this pretty much completes my Whedon collection, with the exception of the current comics. :P

Wuducynn
01-31-2008, 05:59 PM
there was a series of comics released at the same time as the movie, detailing what had happened between the end of the series and the beginning of the movie. the various volumes are now comprised in one graphic novel called serenity: those left behind. (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DH10759)

:eta: i told you she looked like you! it looks even more like you in my book. :)

I am buying "Serenity: Those Left Behind" asap. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

Wuducynn
01-31-2008, 06:00 PM
and a copy of Serenity so this pretty much completes my Whedon collection, with the exception of the current comics. :P

Yeah, but did you get the Collectors Edition? Its worth it to shell out a few extra bucks for. :harrier:

CPU
01-31-2008, 06:34 PM

I am buying "Serenity: Those Left Behind" asap. I've heard nothing but great things about it.

It's awesome! Get the hardcover version if you can find it.

CPU
01-31-2008, 06:35 PM
and a copy of Serenity so this pretty much completes my Whedon collection, with the exception of the current comics. :P

Yeah, but did you get the Collectors Edition? Its worth it to shell out a few extra bucks for. :harrier:

Not yet, but I plan to pick up the Collectors Edition soon. :thumbsup:

sarah
01-31-2008, 07:06 PM
I've been DVRing the Angel reruns on TNT as of late. It is always good times to catch up on some Angel. I always remember thinking Cordy was so pretty but now that she is being broadcast in High Def, she's not looking too good. I'm just sayin'

CPU
02-01-2008, 09:38 AM

Jimmy
02-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I like Whedon as a writer, but I'd really preferred he stay away from comic work unless he's able to pick up some speed. His comic Runaways hasn't had a new issue since October. That's ridiculous.

Yunsung
02-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Speaking of graphic novels, does anyone know when the second volume of the Buffy Season 8 comic is coming out?

CPU
02-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Well, the next issue shows up on March 5th.
Oh how I love's me some Buffy (http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Buffy-The-Vampire-Slayer%3A-Season-Eight-12___312154)

CPU
02-08-2008, 07:30 AM
A new Firefly story is available under the creative commons license. You can download from here: Click-me! (http://dreamcafe.com/firefly.html)

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 08:11 AM
A new Firefly story is available under the creative commons license. You can download from here: Click-me! (http://dreamcafe.com/firefly.html)

I saw that at Fireflyfans.net..

There is hope for Serenity 2. Serenity was number 2 in the box office nationwide on the first week of its release and that is simply nothing to sniff at. Does Universal own The Sci Fi Channel? Because they would be smart to put a revived Firefly on Sci Fi Channel...thats where they could make serious money off of it and make so many more fans on top of the ones already.
I think The Joss Meister had too high hopes for Serenity's success and is letting that get him down and give up on Firefly/Serenity.

CPU
02-08-2008, 08:17 AM
I'd lurve to see a new Firefly/Serenity movie :thumbsup:

I was just reading about JW's new project:

Dollhouse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollhouse_(TV_series)), looks pretty cool to me.

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Of course I'm meaning Universal buying the rights from Fox and putting it on The Sci-Fi Channel, or whomever does own The Sci-Fi Channel to buy the rights. It would so find a good home there.

sarah
02-08-2008, 09:01 AM
um, I just read a post from Daggers saying she has never seen Buffy or Angel. **GASP***

Daghain
02-08-2008, 09:04 AM
:panic:

sarah
02-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Daggers, do I need to chase you around the site and harass you until you've at least seen buffy seasons 1-3?

yeah, I think I do. :lol:

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 09:34 AM
um, I just read a post from Daggers saying she has never seen Buffy or Angel. **GASP***

Neither have I. Well I've seen the movie, but not the show.

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Also, as far as Firefly goes. Look at Battlestar Galactica, it was one that didn't last that long either, a little longer but not by much. Look at it now? Big time hit, and from every fan I've talked to, even better than the first. By quite a bit. And nowadays we have a big-time fan-base that is better connected over all the internets.
So right there you have plenty of chances for it to come back.

Lance
02-08-2008, 10:09 AM

That was one of the main reasons I waited so long to get into the show. That movie was aweful and in almost no way reflected Whedon's concept. Hell he walked off the set halfway during filming. Give it a chance.

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 10:19 AM
I never said I wouldn't give it a chance Lance. I liked the movie.

MonteGss
02-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I actually thought the movie was horse shit. I didn't laugh at all and the special effects were horrendous (compared to even the tv series).

Buffy the series was far superior in its storytelling and its characters. Buffy was meant for TV, not the big screen. I miss her....:cry:

Heather19
02-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Dollhouse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollhouse_(TV_series)), looks pretty cool to me.

I can't wait to see this. It sounds like it could be pretty interesting.

Lance
02-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I never said I wouldn't give it a chance Lance. I liked the movie.

My bad. You're actually one of the few people I've known who said they liked the movie. I guess I was just projecting since I went to see it as a kid with high hopes and was utterly disappointed by it.

John Blaze
02-09-2008, 04:49 AM
I've not seen Serenity or Firefly :(

I did dig out my Buffy videos last night though, for a rerun of the Halloween ep where they all get turned into the costumes they're wearing :thumbsup:

Alyson Hannigan is so hot in that eppy....

John Blaze
02-09-2008, 04:55 AM
posted this in the gifts thread, so I uploaded it
YouTube - Spikes speech about angel

jayson
02-09-2008, 05:02 AM

count me in on that list. i saw the movie, thought it was funny at the time but having seen it since, not so much. the show, not at all.

RUBE
02-09-2008, 09:44 PM
On Entertainment Weekly's website, there was a list of 30 shows that had been canceled that people wished would return and Firefly was not one of them. WTF? It did include Angel but how could they miss Firefly?

Wuducynn
02-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Did you see what I posted above? I found out Universal DOES own The Sci-Fi Channel afterall. I think that is the way to go to revive Firefly.

John Blaze
02-10-2008, 12:15 AM

count me in on that list. i saw the movie, thought it was funny at the time but having seen it since, not so much. the show, not at all.

Dude, besides establishing an origin, the movie is DEFINITELY not canon.

quick trivia, Seth Green was the only person to be in both the movie and the show.... :D

MonteGss
02-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Dude, besides establishing an origin, the movie is DEFINITELY not canon.
I couldn't agree more. It was only a starting point (a fairly bad one).

quick trivia, Seth Green was the only person to be in both the movie and the show.... :D

Oz was in the movie! I don't remember seeing any werewolves in the movie (:lol:), seriously though, I'm sure it was a very small part? A high school student perhaps?

John Blaze
02-10-2008, 06:47 PM
i think he was Pike's friend. I think his name was Pike?

MonteGss
02-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Hmm, I couldn't say.

Anyway...which series do you all feel is Whedon's best? Too bad there is no poll.

I am a big, big fan of all three of his shows but if I had to order them, it would be this:

Angel
Buffy
Firefly

Wuducynn
02-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Angel
Buffy
Firefly

If there was any evidence needed that you suck dripping, infected, and bleeding moose tits, then this is it.

MonteGss
02-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Oh? And why is that?
Considering you've never watched these shows....well except for Firefly, I assume.

Wuducynn
02-10-2008, 09:15 PM
Actually, I've never watched any of them, I was just pointing that fact out. As kind of a PSA.

MonteGss
02-10-2008, 09:18 PM
You really should watch those shows, you'd like them.

Otherwise, get the fuck out of this thread! :lol:

John Blaze
02-10-2008, 10:34 PM
exactly!

Buffy, Angel, Firefly.

my favorite Buffy episode? The Body

favorite Angel episode? Smiletime

favorite Firefly episode? Jaynestown

MonteGss
02-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Smiletime was awesome. "You're a bloody puppet!"
Season 5 really picked up some steam with Spike, it could have gone on longer.

John Blaze
02-10-2008, 11:01 PM
oh man, the very ending of the Series "i kinda want to slay the dragon"

i was so sad it ended. :(

MonteGss
02-10-2008, 11:06 PM
I had/have an idea of a follow-up story to that ending which involves The team saving the world after taking down the senior partners and Spike fulfilling the Shanzou (sp) prophesy and becoming human.
The story starts with Spike driving in the desert. Ilyria is hunting him down...for what?

John Blaze
02-10-2008, 11:09 PM
for what?

Wuducynn
02-11-2008, 06:09 AM

I own the whole series of Firefly, I'm a big fan. How about I post in whatever thread I feel like and you go do the world a favor and kill yourself in a horrible manner?

sarah
02-11-2008, 07:57 AM
Favorite Buffy Episodes:

The Musical
School Hard
Becoming I & II
Hush
The Gift
Chosen

Favorite Angel Episodes:

Hero
To Shanshu in LA
Orpheus
You're Welcome
SmileTime
Not Fade Away

MonteGss
02-11-2008, 12:27 PM

I own the whole series of Firefly, I'm a big fan. How about I post in whatever thread I feel like and you go do the world a favor and kill yourself in a horrible manner?

Your words are like a fresh mountain spring.

You are like the site's Evil-Giles. :)

Heather19
02-11-2008, 02:54 PM
My favorite is Firefly hands down. I absolutely love that show. I watched Buffy for the first few seasons, but then I just thought it got silly so I stopped watching, and I think I only saw 1 or 2 episodes of Angel. I just couldn't get into that one.

John Blaze
02-11-2008, 08:41 PM
except Giles was cool.

and the man can sing.

and A.S.H> is good looking

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 03:27 PM
My wife decided to pick up season 3 of Angel today and start watching. That was the season where Wes actually stopped being such a pansy-ass and being super fucking cool. I think I'm going to start up from ep1 in season 3. :)

John Blaze
03-15-2008, 06:11 PM
kickass! enjoy it man, my wife has never gotten the buffyverse, and sadly, I don't think she ever will. Her loss.

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah, my wife rocks! She got me into Buffy but I got her hooked on Angel and Firefly. :)

CPU
03-21-2008, 06:05 PM
At the Paley fest this week!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2182/2350494349_9ff2b8b3cd_o.jpg

To bad Giles and Willow couldn't make it.

More photos at: Like click here man.. (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=1642d8fc-a0ad-4fce-987f-3357b244aa8c)

John Blaze
03-21-2008, 07:39 PM
too bad you don't have a bigger pic.

Michelle Trachtenberg is so hot.... :D

MonteGss
03-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Cool pic! Thanks for posting that!

Too bad Angel couldn't make it too. :(

John Blaze
03-21-2008, 10:21 PM
thanks for the link, CPU, it's awesome.

MonteGss
04-12-2008, 04:58 PM
I just watched a bunch of the last season of Angel. I just finished with the very last episode. I thought after some time and after multiple a couple viewings, I would be ok with it. I'm not. Horrible ending. Absolutely horrible ending. :(

John Blaze
04-12-2008, 06:22 PM
why? I myself would like to slay the dragon.

the thing is, I can't believe they killed it. it was a great show, had loyal fans, and steady ratings. They should have kept it damnit. I miss my buffy/angel fixes.

MonteGss
04-12-2008, 06:34 PM
I wonder how Whedon would have ended the series had the WB not killed it.
Angel becoming President and having a sex change operation would have been a better ending than what they put out. :lol:

Ok, not really, but still....it was not good. I wanted closure dammit. :)

sarah
04-13-2008, 07:36 AM
School Hard was on this morning. :lol: good times and good one liners. The early Buffy years are a bit silly but you just gotta embrace it.

Buffy: Cordelia, I have at least three lives to contend with, none of which really mesh. It's kind of like oil and water and a... third unmeshable thing.

John Blaze
04-14-2008, 10:44 PM
the whole fucken show was full of funny one liners.

It was great, but I'm glad the show took a dark turn at the end, because although great the "always funny lines" shit was kinda getting old.

The Angel series was semi-dark from the beginning, so that made it special of it's own right.

All in all, if Whedon never made another anything, he'd still be awesome, just because of these two shows.

turtlex
04-15-2008, 04:21 AM
Wow. Just found this thread.

I am a total Buffy fan! I love the show and really miss it. I do have the Slayer's Collection DVD Set, which helps with the missing.

Picking Favorites is soooo hard but mine would include : The Body ( best acting and writing, hands down ), Hush, Family ( I'm a fan of Amber's ), Tabula Rasa ( Anya: "Relax, Joan" ) and Once More With Feeling ( best soundtrack... ever).

This show was, IMHO, one of the best ever.

One Of My Favorite Buffy Quotes :

"They'll never know how tough it is, Dawnie, to be the one who isn't chosen. To live so near the spotlight and never step in it. But I know. I see more than anybody realizes because nobody's watching me. I saw you last night. I see you working here today. You're not special... You're extraordinary."
- Xander to Dawn, Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Season 7 "Potential")

MonteGss
04-15-2008, 06:36 AM
My wife and I know the OMWF soundtrack by heart. :lol:
I'd say that was my favorite Buffy episode.

I'd say even though it was darker, I think Angel had more funny one-liners, especially in the last season with Spike. We own all five seasons of Angel and all seven of Buffy. Those are the shows we put on when there is nothing else to watch (which is almost anytime).

sarah
04-15-2008, 06:40 AM

I'd say even though it was darker, I think Angel had more funny one-liners, especially in the last season with Spike. We own all five seasons of Angel and all seven of Buffy. Those are the shows we put on when there is nothing else to watch (which is almost anytime).

we will have to sing that together once the cocktails kick in in Vegas. :lol:

I just had a rewatch of Angel a couple of months ago. I'm a fan but I prefer Buffy to Angel any day of the week. The Buffy years are always a good time and a good watch. Even if it is being a bit silly, I still feel the love.

MonteGss
04-15-2008, 06:46 AM

we will have to sing that together once the cocktails kick in in Vegas. :lol:

I just had a rewatch of Angel a couple of months ago. I'm a fan but I prefer Buffy to Angel any day of the week. The Buffy years are always a good time and a good watch. Even if it is being a bit silly, I still feel the love.

If more people go to the gathering, then I will be there and will take you up on that offer. I'll sing the Xander parts of I'll Never Tell and you can sing that Anya parts. :D

The reason I pick Angel as better for me is because he is a more interesting character than Buffy. He's kind of a "man's man," but not...a vampire. :lol:
Also, season 4 and season 6 of Buffy were some of the worst hours of TV I've had to sit through. I hated them so much and with the exception of Amber, all characters introduced in those seasons sucked, imo. The storylines for those two seasons were not up to the Buffy standards for me. Season 4 is a little better than 6. I try to skip most of that season, except for those episodes important to the Spike storyline. And the musical, of course.

turtlex
04-15-2008, 07:44 AM
:( ( turtlex is sad about missing the OMWF sing-along, but hopes for both photos to be posted and video to be captured )

John Blaze
04-15-2008, 09:48 AM

that would be great, too bad I won't be there.

my favorite song is Rest In Peace, i know the whole thing.

MonteGss
04-15-2008, 09:42 PM
Great song! I know it as well! :cool:

turtlex
04-16-2008, 02:29 AM
You know, what is so cool about Rest in Peace (one of my favorites as well) is there is so much meaning and double meaning in that song, it is so well written, plus - it just rocks! Then, there's that whole... its really telling a story and moving the character forward as well. Joss rocks!

Sorry, just had to grab these from the web :
Rest In Peace - performed by Spike (James Marsters)
I died
So many years ago
But you can make me feel
Like it isn't so
And why you come to be with me
I think I finally know
mmm-mmm

You're scared
Ashamed of what you feel
And you can't tell the ones you love
You know they couldn't deal
Whisper in a dead man's ear
It doesn't make it real
That's great

But I don't wanna play
'Cause being with you touches me
More than I can say
And since I’m only dead to you
I’m saying stay away and
Let me rest in peace

Let me rest in peace
Let me get some sleep
Let me take my love and bury it
In a hole 6-foot deep
I can lay my body down
But I can't find my, sweet release
So let me rest in peace

You know,
You got a willing slave
And You just love to play the thought
That you might misbehave
But Till you do,
I'm telling you
Stop visiting my grave
Let me rest in peace

I know I should go
But I follow you like a man possessed
There's a traitor here beneath my breast
And it hurts me more than you've ever guessed
If my heart could beat, it would break my chest
but I can see you're unimpressed
So leave me be and

Let me rest in peace
Let me get some sleep
Let me take my love and bury it
Im a hole 6-foot deep
I can lay my body down
But I can't find my sweet release
Let me rest in peace
Why won't you
Let me rest in peace?

Seymour_Glass
04-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I think I'm the only one on this whole internet that really liked season 6 of Buffy.

But Angel is still better.

MonteGss
04-27-2008, 07:08 PM
I think I'm the only one on this whole internet that really liked season 6 of Buffy.
Close. Sadly, my wife likes that poor excuse of a season too. :)

But Angel is still better.
Agreed. :thumbsup:

John Blaze
04-28-2008, 07:37 AM
not agreed :angry:

anyways, anyone here see Euro Trip? Michelle Trachtenberg looked really good there.

turtlex
04-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Um, I liked all the seasons.

MonteGss
04-28-2008, 05:45 PM
I think when Buffy switched networks after season 5, Joss really wasn't too sure what to do with a story arc and didn't know where the series was headed which is why instead of an "ultimate baddie" we were stuck with STUPID, STUPID Jonathan, Andrew and Warren. The only saving grace from that whole season was evil Willow. Cut out those STUPID characters and focus more on Willow and Buffy's trials & tribulations and the season may have been saved. :)

turtlex
04-28-2008, 06:24 PM
I agree about Willow. That was interesting and unexpected, at least for me.

Also, that whole flaying thing. Ew. Could have done without that.

wildfire1290
05-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Joss Wheaden is amazing, Looking out some people to chat it up with

Mattrick
05-06-2008, 10:26 PM
:grouphug: Scroll down about 15 topics

John Blaze
05-07-2008, 12:35 AM
yeah, there's already a Whedonverse thread.

good to have you though, and this thread will be merged soon, so don't sweat it.

oh, and it's Whedon, not Wheadon.

MonteGss
05-07-2008, 06:58 AM
I'll help, as it is one of my favorite threads. :D

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1270

sarah
05-07-2008, 07:49 AM
yeah! another Buffy fan has arrived on the site. This thread will be merged/sent to the clearing in a few but please post in the buffy thread Monte linked above. :D

Arthur Heath
05-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Outside Firefly I enjoy his comics much better than shows. He writes a mean X-Men.

MonteGss
05-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I saw his Buffy and Angel comics at the bookstore the other day, though I did not pick any up. Aside from The Dark Tower, I've never been interested in comics.
I agree though...Firefly was an awesome show!

turtlex
05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Honestly, the Buffy comics are pretty good. I've never read the Angel ones, though.

Welcome New Tower/Buffy fans!

CPU
05-08-2008, 07:01 AM
Yeah, the current Season 8 of Buffy comic is great! The 3 issue Firefly comic is pretty damn good too! I don't know about the Angel comics, but I believe there is a new series that just started.

Arthur Heath
05-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Are the Firefly comics based off the episodes that ran or is it original material?

CPU
05-08-2008, 08:40 AM
It's original material. The comics are set in the period after the series but before the movie.

wildfire1290
05-13-2008, 01:25 PM
It's original material. The comics are set in the period after the series but before the movie.

How far us Joss planning on taking the Firefly comic series?

CPU
05-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Not very far :P It's only a 3 issue run!

I think there is a comic in development dedicated to Sheppard Book (that's no sheppard...) which will delve into the mysterious Sheppard's past.

RUBE
05-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Are any of you Whedon fan's excited about his new show Dollhouse? It is on Fox so that could spell trouble. It seems that he has at least forgiven them a little for Firefly to be willing to do another show with them.

MonteGss
05-18-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm not too sure what to think about it. I don't like "Faith" too much as an actress...she bugs me. I will probably give it a chance though.

wildfire1290
05-19-2008, 09:53 PM
I haven't heard too much about it. What was the story basis about again? Kinda forgot, its been a while since I read the article.

Heather19
05-20-2008, 04:10 PM
I can't wait for it, but I heard it's going to be a mid-season replacement so we won't get to see it till jan.

Here's the trailer for it
http://www.dollverse.com/trailer/

Jimmy
05-22-2008, 04:50 AM
I just found out the actor who played Jonathon (Danny Strong) has written an HBO original movie about the 2000 U.S Presidential Election. It's set to air on May 25th. That's pretty neat. He was always my favorite of The Troika.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1000771/

John Blaze
05-22-2008, 04:52 AM
mine too ;)

LadyHitchhiker
05-22-2008, 05:11 AM
*looks for Monte*

HI!!!!!!!!

LadyHitchhiker
05-22-2008, 05:11 AM
There. Now you can't say I didn't show my face in here.

MonteGss
05-22-2008, 05:59 AM
I just found out the actor who played Jonathon (Danny Strong) has written an HBO original movie about the 2000 U.S Presidential Election. It's set to air on May 25th. That's pretty neat. He was always my favorite of The Troika.

Guh. He is one third of the reason why season 6 sucked so bad.

Jimmy
05-22-2008, 06:54 AM

Season 6 was my favorite. :nope:

MonteGss
05-22-2008, 07:08 AM
That's ok Jimmy. People have been wrong before and I still like them. :lol:

It just seemed like Joss was really struggling to find something to continue the story with that season and it was more like a..."I know! Let's bring back these stupid, insignificant characters and pretend they are really smart and 'evil.'" :lol:

Jimmy
05-22-2008, 07:27 AM

It just seemed like Joss was really struggling to find something to continue the story with that season and it was more like a..."I know! Let's bring back these stupid, insignificant characters and pretend they are really smart and 'evil.'" :lol:

The entire point of their super-villainy was that they weren't depicted as being smart and evil. They were morons doing a comic book style team-up. They were merely a setup to Tara's death and Willow's fall from grace, and to me, it worked.

CPU
05-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah I actually liked season 6 a lot too. Especially Once more with feeling! In fairness I really didn't like the trio of stupidity too much, but the impact of their actions (specifically killing Tara) had far reaching consequences.

The season I really didn't like was 5, there was a lot of emotional stuff happening to Buffy and friends, but I just absolutely hated Riley, the Inititiave, Adam, etc. I never felt like Riley and Buffy had any chemistry at all.

MonteGss
05-22-2008, 11:35 AM

The entire point of their "super-villainy" was that they weren't depicted as being smart and evil. They were morons doing a comic book style team-up. They were merely a setup to Tara's death and Willow's fall from grace, and to me, it worked.

I disagree, it was just plain hokey and crap. Every episode they were in distracted us from what the what the season should have been about and that was Buffy and Willow's trials and tribulations. It's cool though... :grouphug:

MonteGss
05-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Yeah I actually liked season 6 a lot too. Especially Once more with feeling! In fairness I really didn't like the trio of stupidity too much, but the impact of their actions (specifically killing Tara) had far reaching consequences.

The season I really didn't like was 5, there was a lot of emotional stuff happening to Buffy and friends, but I just absolutely hated Riley, the Inititiave, Adam, etc. I never felt like Riley and Buffy had any chemistry at all.

Yeah, that was season 4 actually. That one was pretty poor as well, the Initiative was so dumb. Season 5 was Glory, which I actually kinda liked. :)

CPU
05-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Oops, yeah you're right of course, for some reason I always flip those two seasons around.

John Blaze
05-22-2008, 02:39 PM

**stabby stab stab**

evil Willow? That sucked in your book? No wonder I hate you so much. :P

MonteGss
05-22-2008, 02:40 PM

**stabby stab stab**

evil Willow? That sucked in your book? No wonder I hate you so much. :P

No dumbass. Willow's storyline (along with Buffy's) was the only thing good about that season. Those STUPID nerds are the reason that it sucked so bad. :)

John Blaze
05-22-2008, 02:41 PM
your face!

MonteGss
05-22-2008, 02:43 PM

LadyHitchhiker
05-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Angel and Spike were my FAVORITE characters off of Buffy...

John Blaze
05-22-2008, 02:46 PM
You're a female, hmm, what a surprise!

Jimmy
05-23-2008, 05:20 AM
I disagree, it was just plain hokey and crap. Every episode they were in distracted us from what the what the season should have been about and that was Buffy and Willow's trials and tribulations. It's cool though... :grouphug:

Yes, because a program with the title "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" should not be hokey or silly in any way. It should be serious to the bone and each episode should start out with that annoying sound effect that they use on Law and Order. :scared:

MonteGss
05-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Um, ok. You're right. How dare I have a different opinion!
Good idea to take this discussion to the point of condescension. :thumbsup:

MonteGss
05-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Anyway....moving on.

Is it just me or does Whedon's new show seem like a Buffy-type show? He sure does dig the strong female type characters. Maybe I will give it an episode or two. :)

LadyHitchhiker
05-23-2008, 02:28 PM
You're a female, hmm, what a surprise!

Well does it come as a surprise that I hated Cordelia or Cornelia or whatever her name was and that I liked Alyson (sp.?) Hannigan's character better than any of the other girls?

Oh!!!! And I digged Spike's initially flake-out of a girlfriend. She was cool.

LadyHitchhiker
05-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Anyway....moving on.

Is it just me or does Whedon's new show seem like a Buffy-type show? He sure does dig the strong female type characters. Maybe I will give it an episode or two. :)

What's his new show?

MonteGss
05-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Anyway....moving on.

What's his new show?

Are any of you Whedon fan's excited about his new show Dollhouse? It is on Fox so that could spell trouble.

I just read a little bit about it Liz. It is starring Eliza Dusku or however you spell it. Faith.

turtlex
05-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, it's can't be worse than Dru Calling.... or whatever that horrible series starring Eliza was. Talk about a disappointment.

Heather19
05-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Liz I posted the trailer for it a page back. I think it looks like it could be pretty interesting.

wildfire1290
05-26-2008, 01:37 AM
Well, it's can't be worse than Dru Calling.... or whatever that horrible series starring Eliza was. Talk about a disappointment.

Dru Calling? Whats all this then?

John Blaze
05-26-2008, 09:14 PM
it was Tru Calling, and it was kinda like Ghost Whisperer, and Medium, and that's why it sucked. Not very original.

I wish her the best with Dollhouse.

Heather19
05-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I actually liked the show. Guess I'm the only one.

John Blaze
05-27-2008, 10:32 PM
i had a friend who liked it, heather, but he's not all there, so :P

wildfire1290
05-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Is it worth watching even if I watch the episodes online for free?

Heather19
05-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Go for it, you might enjoy it, and if you don't at least you won't have wasted much.

John Blaze
05-28-2008, 06:24 PM
yeppers

The Lady of Shadows
05-28-2008, 08:53 PM
on a totally different topic. i was in the car today, listening to the radio (god i miss my ipod) and a new michelle branch song came on. which got me thinking about you guys - because of this thread.

i loved that joss whedon had unknown and relatively unknown artists playing at the bronze in buffy. i mean, seriously. it was sunnydale and it was the bronze. it's not like ben folds five was going to play there or something. but, think of all the great artists/bands that were heard on buffy. a lot of them i had never heard of until i saw an ep and looked it up to see "what that great song was". michelle branch, k's choice, cibo matto, t.h.c. (as shy), aimee mann, angie hart, four star mary (as dingoes ate my baby).

not to mention that joss himself could write. he wrote blue (sung by angie hart), and i have the soundtrack for once more, with feeling memorized.

wildfire1290
05-28-2008, 09:33 PM
on a totally different topic. i was in the car today, listening to the radio (god i miss my ipod) and a new michelle branch song came on. which got me thinking about you guys - because of this thread.

i loved that joss whedon had unknown and relatively unknown artists playing at the bronze in buffy. i mean, seriously. it was sunnydale and it was the bronze. it's not like ben folds five was going to play there or something. but, think of all the great artists/bands that were heard on buffy. a lot of them i had never heard of until i saw an ep and looked it up to see "what that great song was". michelle branch, k's choice, cibo matto, t.h.c. (as shy), aimee mann, angie hart, four star mary (as dingoes ate my baby).

not to mention that joss himself could write. he wrote blue (sung by angie hart), and i have the soundtrack for once more, with feeling memorized.

Wait, Michelle Branch was on Buffy?

The Lady of Shadows
05-28-2008, 09:46 PM

Wait, Michelle Branch was on Buffy?

ooookay. if you're kidding: :lol:

if you're not: ummm, yeah. Tabula Rasa. season six. singing goodbye to you in the bronze (different version from the radio one). it rocked.

wildfire1290
05-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Oh wow...totally escaped my mind there for some reason.
*goes to sit in a corner*

The Lady of Shadows
05-28-2008, 09:51 PM
no, no. come out of the corner. it happens. i completely forgot my name once so don't feel bad. :lol:

wildfire1290
05-28-2008, 09:58 PM
no, no. come out of the corner. it happens. i completely forgot my name once so don't feel bad. :lol:

Woo hoo for acceptance of failures! :excited:

The Lady of Shadows
05-29-2008, 01:13 PM
isn't that ultimately what life is? :)

wildfire1290
05-29-2008, 01:25 PM
Eh, in the end more or less.

John Blaze
05-29-2008, 03:50 PM
you forgot Bif Naked.

Moment of Weakness, We Are the Lucky Ones?

The Lady of Shadows
05-29-2008, 04:30 PM
you forgot Bif Naked.

Moment of Weakness, We Are the Lucky Ones?

damn i did. and i love we are the lucky ones. :( stupid turtle.

John Blaze
05-29-2008, 10:08 PM
it's ok, you at least know who they are.

I don't think these were on Buffy, but a long time ago, back in the age of Napster, before youtube, i downloaded an AMV titled buffy top 5 moments or something like that. I've since seen it on youtube. anyways, this amv used, amongst others, Sarah Mclachlan's Full of Grace and Allison Krauss's It Doesn't Matter. It Doesn't matter is now one of my favorite songs of all time.

YouTube - Buffy Music Video (Doesn't Matter)

wildfire1290
05-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Wow..napster. So old school...

John Blaze
05-29-2008, 11:45 PM

....oh you darn whipersnapper! I oughta beat you with my cane!..........

wildfire1290
05-30-2008, 12:09 AM

....oh you darn whipersnapper! I oughta beat you with my cane!..........

whoa whoa whoa there grandpa...

John Blaze
05-30-2008, 12:15 AM
grandpa? I'll change your diaper young'n! and then I'll feed it to you.

wildfire1290
05-30-2008, 12:27 AM
*Laughs*
Oh Grandpa...

The Lady of Shadows
05-30-2008, 10:06 AM
it's ok, you at least know who they are.

I don't think these were on Buffy, but a long time ago, back in the age of Napster, before youtube, i downloaded an AMV titled buffy top 5 moments or something like that. I've since seen it on youtube. anyways, this amv used, amongst others, Sarah Mclachlan's Full of Grace and Allison Krauss's It Doesn't Matter. It Doesn't matter is now one of my favorite songs of all time.

<snip>

i love love love alison krauss. have you heard her new album with robert plant?

and full of grace, when buffy is leaving town. i cry every single time! what about prayer for saint francis (sarah mclachlan)?

Jimmy
05-31-2008, 08:47 AM
Um, ok. You're right. How dare I have a different opinion!
Good idea to take this discussion to the point of condescension. :thumbsup:

You call is condescending, I call it sarcasm.

i love when people bust out the "Isn't it ok that I have a different opinion?" defense, which translates to "I got nothin'! OMG, what's that behind you!"

Jimmy
05-31-2008, 08:50 AM

He wrote the theme to Firefly too, which is one of my favorite theme songs. :thumbsup:

MonteGss
05-31-2008, 08:51 AM
OK, sure, you're right.

You feel better now?
As I said before..... MOVING ON...

Heather19
05-31-2008, 11:22 AM

He wrote the theme to Firefly too, which is one of my favorite theme songs. :thumbsup:

I love the firefly theme, Great song!

wildfire1290
05-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Firefly theme song is my ring tone right now. ha ha.

The Lady of Shadows
06-01-2008, 01:28 PM
*donning my asbestos suit*

i have never seen firefly and have therefore never heard the theme song

okay, let me have it. . . . ;)

Heather19
06-01-2008, 01:36 PM
You definately need to check it out, it's a great series.
Here's the theme song if you're curious.

YouTube - Firefly - Opening Credits

MonteGss
06-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Such a great song. I have it on my iPod. :)

CPU
06-06-2008, 06:40 PM
This is cool: Buffy the Vampire Slayer' finds eternal life among academics as conference begins (http://www.startribune.com/nation/19596644.html)

wildfire1290
06-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Wow. Thats pretty badass right there.

PixelJuice
06-09-2008, 03:55 AM
Firefly - the best, yes, the best. Another one the network axed without seeing the potential.

Jimmy
06-09-2008, 04:18 AM
OK, sure, you're right.

You feel better now?
As I said before..... MOVING ON...

Now who's being condescending, jerkoff?

Go read an f'ing book, find out how comedy and tragedy sometimes have to intermix in order for both to succeed or fail, then when you want to say something, say it, and because maybe then, your opinion will matter. Cause right now, you're clueless and what you say means nothing.

EDIT: Ban me, warn me, whatever me. I'm not letting some undereducated pissant talk down to me and laugh at me, because they can't grasp the idea of comedy being part of the dramatic institution that is Buffy the f'ing Vampire Slayer.

The Lady of Shadows
06-09-2008, 03:46 PM
dude that was like seven days ago. move on, we have. :)

now then, on to something much more pressing. my fucking dvr ate the eps of angel that i recorded AGAIN!!!!! i was so looking forward to watching them because my friend still has my entire buffy and angel dvd collection.
i'm having withdrawal symptoms. and i missed smile time - again!!!!!!!!!!!

CPU
06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
My wife and I just recently started watching Angel, we got the boxed set, and we're almost finished with season one. I was surprised with the number of "cross-over" episodes w/Buffy and someday I'm going to try and put the two shows in "order" and watch them that way. :P

The Lady of Shadows
06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
My wife and I just recently started watching Angel, we got the boxed set, and we're almost finished with season one. I was surprised with the number of "cross-over" episodes w/Buffy and someday I'm going to try and put the two shows in "order" and watch them that way. :P

in season one there were quite a few crossovers because they were still on the same network. it's cool to have them both on dvd and be able to watch them in order. :) when they were on tv a few of the crossovers didn't work out because of shows getting bumped and what have you. :(

let me know when you've seen the ep entitled "i will remember you".

MonteGss
06-10-2008, 10:11 PM
:rofl:

When my wife and I get bored, we'll usually throw in a random Buffy disk and slowly finish out the series from that random point. It usually plays in the background. It's a good "anytime, all the time" sort of show. Just like Angel is.
:)

John Blaze
06-10-2008, 10:48 PM
yes it is.

i've said so before, I wish my wife could enjoy it like I do.

Woofer
06-11-2008, 03:44 AM
I guess I'll have to watch Buffy and Angel sometime. I've seen the Buffy movie, and I'm familiar with the concepts behind the shows, but I wasn't sure I could stand an entire series about a valley girl vampire killer and her pals. All your (the collective you from this thread) glowing praise + Seth Green* = add to Netflix queue.

*Seth Green makes everything he is in better just by being in it.

ETA: So I saw Angel was on this morning on TNT. I started to switch the channel, and I saw it was Touched by an Angel. PHEW! That was a close one!

Darkthoughts
06-11-2008, 06:05 AM
:lol: Buffy the series was very different from the film. I enjoyed the show so much, to me it was the best vampire stuff since Lost Boys.

I think it depends on how you like your vampire stuff. If you like a bit of cheese mixed in with your gore, then Buffy is the program for you :thumbsup:

KaLikeAWheel
07-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Okay, this message board is just too friggin' good to be true! First I find an X-Files thread and now an Angel/Buffy/Firefly thread! FRICK! It's great to be alive! :excited:

I'm a HUGE Buffy and Angel fan. My husband got me hooked on both of them. We have all seasons of both series and when there's nothing good on TV my husband and I take turns picking which episodes we're gonna watch. And just let me say, I always pick something with Spike in it! Roooowwwwwrrrr

I just recently started watching Firefly on the Sci-Fi channel after seeing the movie Serenity. Good stuff. I guess I need to break down and buy that on DVD too...I wish there were more than one season of it...Damned TV execs that think reality TV is "entertaining" should all be SHOT! :shoot:

That new series sounds interesting. The husband is completely in love with Eliza, so if it does happen he'll be over the moon happy.

Donna

MonteGss
07-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Donna, you are my new bestest friend! :D

My wife got me hooked on Buffy but I in turn got her hooked on Angel. Firefly is definitely worth buying, it was an awesome concept. :)

My wife and I do the same thing with our DVDs of the 3 series. We will either do the random episodes when we're bored or we will pick a season and just watch it through to the end of the series.

I didn't like Faith and I don't much care for Eliza, she bugs me. I can't see myself watching this new series though I didn't ever think I'd watch Buffy either. Stranger things have happened. :)

John Blaze
07-08-2008, 10:44 PM
you gotta love Faith, a slutty tramp that can kick some ass, that's just awesome.

MonteGss
07-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Faith was very slutty. :lol:

John Blaze
07-08-2008, 10:48 PM
at the end it was just cheezy though. The last season Faith was just too over the top with the hipness.

I Love my season 3 Faith though. :D

MonteGss
07-08-2008, 10:48 PM
yeah....but she wasn't as hot as season 3 buffy. :D

John Blaze
07-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Dude, season 2 buffy is the hotness. after season 5 though, she just got too skinny.

MonteGss
07-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Agreed. Too skinny, she lost what figure she had.
I'll say Season 1-3 were the hottest years, but that's all the compromise you'll get from me. :)
Besides, I thought you were mainly interested in watching David Boreanaz...isn't he like your man-whore?

John Blaze
07-08-2008, 11:00 PM
he's my second bitch, after you :P

no one has an ass like you, Monte. :nana:

and that is why we need a fuckyou smiley.

KaLikeAWheel
07-09-2008, 01:21 AM
John,

I believe you may be my husband in disguise. Every comment you made about Faith and Buffy and the seasons have ALL come out of my husband's mouth at one time or another.

Me, I like Faith. She's weird and hot...that's a sexy combination. It'll get you into lots of trouble in real life, but on TV it rocks! Besides, the hottest girl on Buffy is Willow...once she quits dressing like a 12-year-old. ::ducks::

Also, you're absolutely right, a "fuck you," smiley is esential if one wants to fully express oneself!:D

Monte,

I can always use another new bestest friend! I love this forum it KICKS ASS!!!!! And you have awesome taste in television! :rock:

Donna

John Blaze
07-09-2008, 01:24 AM
welcome Donna, your husband must be a genius, and hung like a horse as well.

Dark Willow is super hot.