PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Movies & Theater Experiences

Ricky
07-01-2011, 05:02 PM
I just read an article on EW.com about this and thought it would be an interesting thread idea. Pretty much what the title says: have you ever walked out of a movie because it was that bad? Asked for a refund? What about your theater experiences? Crying babies? Texting during the whole movie?

I'm sure we all have some interesting stories. :lol:

iowabob
07-01-2011, 05:09 PM
I went to see a midnight showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" once. There were loud people in costumes that brought props, sang through the entire show, and refused to stay in their seats for more than 2 minutes at a time. At one point, about a dozen people on each aisle ran up to the screen and pretended to spin the screen. I was appalled by everyone's behavior that night...

Still Servant
07-01-2011, 05:19 PM
I've never walked out of a movie. I really only go see movies I know I'm going to like, so I never have to worry about being surprised if a movie is bad.

I had an experience a while back where a woman was on her laptop the whole movie. She was about 8 seats down from me and the glow from the monitor was so annoying. She was with what I assume was her boyfriend. The movie was Zombieland and it really didn't ruin the movie for me. I still really enjoyed it.

Merlin1958
07-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I went to see a midnight showing of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" once. There were loud people in costumes that brought props, sang through the entire show, and refused to stay in their seats for more than 2 minutes at a time. At one point, about a dozen people on each aisle ran up to the screen and pretended to spin the screen. I was appalled by everyone's behavior that night...

LOL I went to 150 showings of TRHPS in Manhattan and wouldn't you know it. Just about the same thing happened to me every time!!! Sometimes they even threw chopmeat at the screen!!!! LOL

mystima
07-01-2011, 05:27 PM
wow they let her in with a laptop...that would have been a big NO NO here in Tx. They would believe she was pirating the movie and told her to take the laptop at home and not come back with it.

here is what some theaters in Austin do

http://youtu.be/1L3eeC2lJZs

http://youtu.be/159aC5YSio4

iowabob
07-01-2011, 05:29 PM

LOL I went to 150 showings of TRHPS in Manhattan and wouldn't you know it. Just about the same thing happened to me every time!!! Sometimes they even threw chopmeat at the screen!!!! LOL
:::mumblegrumble::: I'll bet you were at the showing I went to. That would explain a lot of things...

Heather19
07-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I had an experience a while back where a woman was on her laptop the whole movie. She was about 8 seats down from me and the glow from the monitor was so annoying. She was with what I assume was her boyfriend. The movie was Zombieland and it really didn't ruin the movie for me. I still really enjoyed it.

I wish I could be that laid back at movies. Just the other day when I went to go see Super 8 there was a group of teenagers a few rows behind us. They were chatting the whole time and running up and down the stairs. It drove me nuts and I felt myself dwelling on how irritated I was getting as opposed to fully focusing on the movie. I still really enjoyed it, but for me other people's behavior always takes away from my experience at the theater. My boyfriend on the other hand was so engrossed in the film that he never heard them talking except when I pointed it out :lol: and never even noticed them running in and out of the theater :lol:

Ricky
07-01-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm like that too. It just totally brings me out of the movie.

Here's one I told you, Heather. :lol:

I’ve had a bunch of distractions when I’ve gone to see movies before, but I’ve only had one experience that I would qualify as bad. I’ve never asked for a refund in all the years I’ve been going to movies, but this a time where I did. It was that bad.

It was back in April and I went to go see Insidious and Scream 4. I know that horror movies tend to attract the younger crowd and generally rowdy people. I thought I was safe going to the 2:50pm showing of Insidious. That worked out really well. I like to sit in the center of the theater, and made sure I had enough room so I wouldn’t have anyone around to distract me. About 5 minutes before the movie started, some guy plopped himself in the seat RIGHT next to me, when clearly the entire row that was free. Plus, it smelled like he bathed in cologne. So I moved over and I thought I was safe. Then a little ways into the movie, he turns on his iPod! I thought, are you kidding me?! You're going to pay $8-10 for a movie to NOT watch it? I wouldn't have cared except for that I could his gangster music playing during the (what was supposed to be) suspenseful parts of the movie. Thankfully he turned it off once he woke up from his little nap. And then, of course, there were the people that had to provide commentary during the movie everytime something popped up or was intended to be scary. Like, "Oh HELL no!" or "Day-yum". I mean, I understand that there are limitations to what theaters can do to control the audience, but at least have someone come in periodically and check for distractions.

So the Scream showing I went to was 6:15pm and I was expecting the worst, but it was generally okay. Then I look to the left of me and see a 3 YEAR OLD child a couple seats over from me. I was shocked, for 2 reasons. One, what parent brings their child into an R-rated movie? Especially one that’s as graphic. I mean, you know what you’re in for when the title has “scream” in it. And the second reason, AMC has a no children under 6 after 6 rule, which was obviously uninforced. Bringing a 3 yr. old to Scream? That's not cool. I turned to the lady next to me and said something along the lines of, "can you believe this?" and she agreed with me. Never saw the parents of the child, but there she was. Looked like she was being watched by her 7 year old brother.

I was going to talk to a manager about my experience before I left, but forgot, so the next day I called them and asked for the manger. For me to go through that effort and complain about something, I've got to be pretty irritated. I told him pretty much everything I’m typing here, and he totally understood where I was coming from. We talked for almost 15 minutes and he said the next time I'm there, bring my ticket stubs and he'll "make it right". I went in a couple days later and was given 2 free tickets for any movie. I wasn't looking for anything in return, just wanting to make sure someone in charge knows what's going on so it can hopefully be avoided the next time (though the tickets didn’t hurt either).

It was a pretty interesting night.

Heather19
07-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Ricky :couple:

I really get irritated when people bring their babies or small children into films. I can understand if it's a family oriented film, but I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I've got to see a late horror film and people will bring in their sleeping babies. Only to wake up and start crying during the film. Or the young kids (I'm talking young, like 2-5) who end up running around the theater. There was one woman once who literally let her kid run all over the place, and it was only when he went to run out of the theater that she would get up to go get him. Oh and then there was the time when we left one horror film (can't remember now what it was) only to see a guy who had brought his two young kids in there to watch that one, sneak into another horror film after that was playing in the theater next door!

Ricky
07-01-2011, 06:02 PM
I can't believe the things some people will do. Bringing a child (and a sleeping child at that!) seems like a selfish thing to do. I mean, as a parent, you've got to know that a baby is bound to make noise in that setting. And a horror movie? Come on!

Garrell
07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
First, Rocky Horror Picture Show is supposed to have a crazy audience, my mom took me to it in Frisco and the audience was the point of the show the first couple years it was out. Hence the cult movie status it had, even started in Frisco ( I say Frisco because it grated her nerves to here San Francisco said in that way). I had to see it years later to actually "see" it because the audience was the real show and made it so fun.

Second (god please don't hit me with lighting), worst movie ever was Jack in "About Schmidt". I loved him before and after "The Shining" and could even stomach Kathy Bates nude... but what the hell?

iowabob
07-02-2011, 12:24 AM
First, Rocky Horror Picture Show is supposed to have a crazy audience...
LOL, I know that. Merlin and I were just having a little fun. :D

Garrell
07-02-2011, 04:22 AM
Oh, that is why I should quit posting while drinking, hehe.

The Road Virus
07-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Last week I went to the movies. I stepped in something wet and sticky and went "awww". Then a fellow behind me (he kinda looked like Dane Cook) said "Dude, I just came". It was a terrible theater experience.

Sorry all, I don't think there's that many DC fans gere but this thread name made me think of that part of his stand-up right away.

That's all I got.

Merlin1958
07-02-2011, 05:07 PM
First, Rocky Horror Picture Show is supposed to have a crazy audience...
LOL, I know that. Merlin and I were just having a little fun. :D

You were a "Virgin"? LOL LOL (No disrespect, but if you were a RHPS fan you'd understand)!!!!

Let There be Lips!!!!

LOL

Mattrick
07-04-2011, 05:40 AM
I saw Spiderman 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean 2/3 in theatres....talk about your bad theatre experiences.

When I saw Silent Hill, a horror movie rated R, there was a STROLLER in the aisle. A STROLLER. Some one year old kid seeing Silent Hill. That kid was crying and probably got traumatized from the things in that movie. IF YOU CAN'T GET A BABYSITTER...STAY HOME BITCHES. Some people just don't get it.

mystima
07-04-2011, 05:20 PM
went to see Rio yesterday afternoon with the kids at the dollar theater to stay out of the heat. Didn't know the movie theater we were in was going to be so packed so had to sit way close to the screen. about 20 minutes into the movie apparently a group of siblings got into a fight. (was about 2 or 3 kids all under the age of 5) they threw their popcorn all over the theater and the parents were oblivious to the kids fight. they finally got the kids separated and left the theater. I will never go to a kids movie on a Sunday ever again. would rather do that during the week.

LadyHitchhiker
07-07-2011, 03:27 PM

Are you being sarcastic? That's why people go to the Rocky Horror Picture Show! :)

Yaksha
07-10-2011, 02:16 PM
I worked at a movie theater for almost stories for almost 2 years and I can tell you stories.

One guy snuck a large pizza and a 6 pack in. still not sure how he did it.

A couple decided to have .....relations during a Disney movie.

An 8 year old tried to sneak into Knocked Up.

Some dumbass actually lit up a joint during Hostel 2.

And there are more....trust me

Lance
07-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Should've told dumbass that's what the parking lot is for LOL As far as kids go this one mom took her five or six year old with her for The Devils' Rejects. Seriously? I was thirty years old and I wasn't sure sure I was old enough for that movie. The only time I ever walked out was when I went to see The Dark Half at the dollar theatre in college. It was full of loud obnoxious people that didn't talk during the movie - they shouted. I put up with it for about twenty minute and booked.

Jean
07-25-2011, 02:33 AM
didn't know where to put it, it is about a movie theater experience, but not horrible

was watching The Sixth Sense, don't know how many years ago; normally try to avoid going to a theater: price, teenagers, popcorn, children, no smoking, squeaking chairs, coughing neighbors, rustling paper wraps etc - and all my expectations came true, especially the teenagers who kept guffawing at all the wrong places, which is something they would do, no matter how good the film.

When the final twist manifested itself, there suddenly was dead silence. I don't remember ever experiencing anything like this before. As if everyone suddenly was dead. No coughs, no whispers, no laughs, no chairs or paper, nothing.

The movie ended in this absolute, cosmis silence. Then people got up - without talking. Then everyone proceeded towards the exit. In silence. As soon as I was out, I stopped, lit a cigarette and stayed there for some time, watching people. I don't know how long they remainded in this condition, but while they were within earshot, nobody uttered a word - or any other sound.

Ricky
07-29-2012, 05:15 PM
So everyone that has been to the movies in the last year has had nothing but GREAT experiences, right? ;)

stkmw02
07-29-2012, 05:24 PM
My first date after a 4.5 year relationship was with a friend from high school. He knew I love horror movies, so he planned to take me to see Wolf Creek. The terrible movie was not the reason our date didn't go well, but it certainly didn't help. When the guys in front of us started yelling at the screen, I couldn't help but join them... and my friend was not amused. lol

Brice
07-29-2012, 05:30 PM
So everyone that has been to the movies in the last year has had nothing but GREAT experiences, right? ;)

Yes, Ricky ...every movie I've been to was enjoyable. I've been to one.

My first date after a 4.5 year relationship was with a friend from high school. He knew I love horror movies, so he planned to take me to see Wolf Creek. The terrible movie was not the reason our date didn't go well, but it certainly didn't help. When the guys in front of us started yelling at the screen, I couldn't help but join them... and my friend was not amused. lol

:lol:

stkmw02
07-29-2012, 06:08 PM
I worked at an old movie theatre when I was younger. It wasn't very popular, so I obtained a copy of RHPS to try to boost interest. It went well for awhile. Toast and all. lol I left and went to college and missed three weekends. Only three. In that time, they got a few new members of the cast, so when I returned these newbies thought *I* was a virgin. The theatre owner set them straight quickly, letting the newbies know Rocky wouldn't be there without me. After that, they gave me so much attitude each time I went to a show, I stopped going. Bitches.

My mother and I rarely spent any time together without my father, since my mom and I rarely did the driving. He dropped us off to see Joy Ride one night. The people in the theatre (teenagers, some older than I was at the time) were so rude and loud and obnoxious we considered leaving. My mom knew the man who owned that theatre too, so I said we could probably get tickets to see it another time. She stood up and I was ready to leave with her, when she yelled, "Shut the fuck up! One more word out of your mouths and I will shut it for you!" There was applause and then silence for the rest of the movie. It was awesome.

When we went to see The Woman In Black recently, the crowd was a bit annoying before the movie even started. We were a pretty big group (me, my husband, my brother, bis girlfriend, my mother, my father, my aunt, my uncle, and my two cousins) and had taken seats in the back two rows of the theatre along the aisle, since there were people in the rows near the walls. The people between us outnumbered us and were on their cell phones during the previews. My dad, my brother, my uncle, and my cousin are pretty intimidating guys. Finally, my brother politely asked the dumb asses to put away their phones. They had the balls to ask, "Or what?" And my dad said, "Or my wife will put them away for you." My mom is a tiny lady, but as you now know she means business. These jerks laughed. My mom stood up, said, "I'm sorry you have to see this." to my husband and my brother's girlfriend... and then put her face right in the one guy's face and said, "I will give you five seconds to put that phone away. I work in a hospital and you wouldn't believe the sort of things doctors can find up your ass." They moved their seats and we didn't see them use their cellphones for the rest of the movie.

My favorite "terrible" theatre experience is one I observed as an employee. (I too know all about the people bringing in pizzas and hot wings - we even had a guy have food delivered to the theatre!) We started doing special midnight showings of older movies that we called "4D" . The fog using a fog machine and actors to scare the audience, plants in the audience to scream on cue, etc. Since the showings were invitation only (and local cops were invited) a lot of guests brought alcohol with them. During a showing of the Exorcist, we had a local priest in the audience. He was not at all part of our 4D experience. In the middle of the movie, he stood up and threw a bucket of water on the people in front of him, screaming "The Power Of Christ Compels You!" before running out of the theatre. We never found out if it was suppose to be a joke or not.

BTW... can we fix the title of this thread?

Ricky
07-29-2012, 06:44 PM
Those stories are great, Krystle. And your mom sounds like quite the character. :lol:

And I never noticed the title was misspelled. :doh:

Brice
07-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Yes, we can. :)

Brice
07-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Yeah, those are pretty awesome stories. And I love RHPS. :D

Ricky
07-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Thanks, Brice (for the fix).

Merlin1958
07-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah, those are pretty awesome stories. And I love RHPS. :D

Here ya go!!! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc80tFJpTuo

Heather19
11-25-2015, 10:59 AM
Well I think this one might take the cake for horrible movie experiences that I've had. Me and my mom went to see Crimson Peak, it was during the week so the theater wasn't overly crowded. We got there a little early and picked seats not too close to anyone else. Well right before the movie starts these 2 guys come in and of course pick our row to sit in. The first guy comes rushing in our aisle, and without giving us a sec to move our legs over so he can easily get by, just pushes right by us. At least the second guy had the decency to say excuse me. Oh of course they sit one seat down from us. So the movie starts and these two continue to have a very loud conversation throughout the whole film. They were commenting on the film as we were watching it, but seriously I don't want to hear your comments. If you're at home watching a movie with some friends thats one thing but if you're in a theater with a bunch of other people that's a different story. Well that's not the worst, halfway through the film the guy one seat away from my mom decides to lay down in his seat and the empty seat next to my mom, so his feet are literally right up next to her. And then they leave with maybe 10-15 min left to the film.

Ricky
11-25-2015, 03:32 PM
Those two sound like the WORST possible people you would want in your theater for so many reasons. I've had people like that in my theaters before and there have been a few times I've come very close to saying something, but ultimately you just don't know what people are going to do, if they have a weapon, etc. Which stinks, because it tells them that it's okay to keep doing that stuff if no one speaks up.

And I hate, hate, hate it when you're in the theater (especially if you go to an earlier show to avoid this) and there's lots of space, and someone sits right next to you. I understand people wanting to sit where they want to sit, but do you need to sit right by me when there's a pretty empty theater?

I think one of the worst times I've experienced was when a guy sat a few seats down from me (again, a pretty empty theater) and decided he was going to listen to his iPod. :rolleyes:

I've never heard up someone laying down horizontally, though. :lol:

Heather19
11-25-2015, 05:27 PM
Yeah, I've never seen it before either. He was like laying propped up on his side. We just have regular seats at that theater, the armrests don't go up or anything so I don't know how it was comfortable. Also do you seriously think someone wants your feet up next to them... I swear people these days just seem to be so inconsiderate and rude.

Still Servant
11-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Well I think this one might take the cake for horrible movie experiences that I've had. Me and my mom went to see Crimson Peak, it was during the week so the theater wasn't overly crowded. We got there a little early and picked seats not too close to anyone else. Well right before the movie starts these 2 guys come in and of course pick our row to sit in. The first guy comes rushing in our aisle, and without giving us a sec to move our legs over so he can easily get by, just pushes right by us. At least the second guy had the decency to say excuse me. Oh of course they sit one seat down from us. So the movie starts and these two continue to have a very loud conversation throughout the whole film. They were commenting on the film as we were watching it, but seriously I don't want to hear your comments. If you're at home watching a movie with some friends thats one thing but if you're in a theater with a bunch of other people that's a different story. Well that's not the worst, halfway through the film the guy one seat away from my mom decides to lay down in his seat and the empty seat next to my mom, so his feet are literally right up next to her. And then they leave with maybe 10-15 min left to the film.

That's ridiculous on so many levels. I'm not sure what's wrong with some people.

I will say this though, I have been known to go talk to a manager if people don't stop talking. I thought that most people know movie theater etiquette, but I can't tell you how many times I have people sit close to me in an empty theater.

I'm not sure if it's in this thread or not, but I know I've mentioned it here before, but my worst experience is when I went to see Zombieland. I was in the back row, which is my preferred place to sit, and a guy comes in with his girlfriend. She pulls out her laptop and stays on it for the duration of the film. All I could see out of the corner of my eye was a huge glowing screen.

Heather19
11-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Wow that's bad. Why even go to the movies if you're going to spend the whole time on the computer. I'm surprised the guy put up with that :lol:

And I do believe there is such a thing as movie etiquette. They have all these adds now prior to the start of the movie about silencing your phones, and that newer one where everyone is on their phone except for that one couple that can resist it. Yet people still don't get it.

Still Servant
11-25-2015, 07:46 PM
Wow that's bad. Why even go to the movies if you're going to spend the whole time on the computer. I'm surprised the guy put up with that :lol:

And I do believe there is such a thing as movie etiquette. They have all these adds now prior to the start of the movie about silencing your phones, and that newer one where everyone is on their phone except for that one couple that can resist it. Yet people still don't get it.

He was so into the movie that he didn't seem to notice. I was also enjoying myself, or else I would have gotten somebody to put an end to it.

As for movie etiquette, my sister and I have come up with a whole list of stuff. The main one is removing all plastic wrapping from boxes of candy before the movie starts. There's nothing worse than listening to somebody struggle with the plastic wrap for 5 minutes during the film.

Ricky
11-27-2015, 03:42 PM
I'm glad you all feel the same about movie theater etiquette, because no one else seems to.

I was in the back row, which is my preferred place to sit, and a guy comes in with his girlfriend. She pulls out her laptop and stays on it for the duration of the film. All I could see out of the corner of my eye was a huge glowing screen.

A laptop? That's ridiculous. I think I would've had to step out and say something to a manager. I mean, a phone is one thing, but a laptop?

And I'm suprised you like sitting in the back row. Any particular reason? I think that'd be too far away for me, especially for stadium seating. I like sitting about halfway up, and in the center of the row.

Mattrick
11-27-2015, 04:12 PM
This is the only necessary cinema etiquette

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=movie_etiquette

Still Servant
11-27-2015, 11:33 PM
I'm glad you all feel the same about movie theater etiquette, because no one else seems to.

I was in the back row, which is my preferred place to sit, and a guy comes in with his girlfriend. She pulls out her laptop and stays on it for the duration of the film. All I could see out of the corner of my eye was a huge glowing screen.

A laptop? That's ridiculous. I think I would've had to step out and say something to a manager. I mean, a phone is one thing, but a laptop?

And I'm suprised you like sitting in the back row. Any particular reason? I think that'd be too far away for me, especially for stadium seating. I like sitting about halfway up, and in the center of the row.

A few reasons. I like being eye level with the screen. I also don't like to have anybody sitting in back of me. This is especially the case when the theater is full. I'm also tall and I like to stretch my legs, so I prefer to sit where the stairs are. I suppose with the new recliners taking over I won't have to worry about the last part.

Heather19
03-16-2017, 03:58 PM
I was just reminded of another recent annoying theater experience I had. Well about a month or so ago we went to go see Rebel Without a Cause in the theater. We got there a bit early and the theater was completely empty. We go and pick center seats in the last row. Well shortly later, this older couple come walking in. The woman walks right up to the row in front of us, and then halfway down and sits down right in the seat in front of us. And since we had been alone Matt had his feet up on the seat, and that's the seat she sits down in. So her husband loudly comments "Are you kidding me" to her, and she just looks at him all confused. He then proceeds to sit down right in front of me. And keep in mind that the entire theater is empty aside from us :lol:

Ricky
03-16-2017, 04:16 PM
That is one of my pet peeves and it happens all the time! I always get there early enough to get the seat I want, and then someone (or some family of 14) comes in (sometimes late) and sits right in front of me. Why should I have to move (or be uncomfortable) for the people coming in late? I had my foot on the seat in front of me and had to move it because someone just decided to sit right in front of me. I wasn't going to, but they didn't even act like they were going somewhere else.

It also happens when the theater is nearly empty. It's like people don't understand the meaning of a buffer zone or personal space. :lol:

My theater is upgrading the seating to leather recliners and when I went to try out the first one they converted, there's so much floor space between your seat and the row in front of you that you don't need to worry about anyone invading your space or hitting your knees. It was so nice. I hope the other theaters end up being like that.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-16-2017, 04:29 PM
I was in a fairly crowded theater when I saw UNBROKEN, and the idiot behind and two seats to the left of me took off his shoe and put his foot in between the seats so his stockinged foot was resting on the armrest a seat away from me. I could SMELL his stinky foot. I would have said something but I didn't want to disturb all the rational people in the auditorium.

Heather19
03-16-2017, 04:46 PM
:rofl: That's crazy. Did you see my post a few up about the guy lounging in the seats with his feet up next to my mom. Do people seriously think someone wants a strangers feet in their face??? :lol:

Heather19
03-16-2017, 04:48 PM
That is one of my pet peeves and it happens all the time! I always get there early enough to get the seat I want, and then someone (or some family of 14) comes in (sometimes late) and sits right in front of me. Why should I have to move (or be uncomfortable) for the people coming in late? I had my foot on the seat in front of me and had to move it because someone just decided to sit right in front of me. I wasn't going to, but they didn't even act like they were going somewhere else.

It also happens when the theater is nearly empty. It's like people don't understand the meaning of a buffer zone or personal space. :lol:

My theater is upgrading the seating to leather recliners and when I went to try out the first one they converted, there's so much floor space between your seat and the row in front of you that you don't need to worry about anyone invading your space or hitting your knees. It was so nice. I hope the other theaters end up being like that.

I can understand it if there's a full theater, but when there's 2 people in the theater, why on earth would you go take the two seats directly in front of them when you have a whole theater full of seats to choose from? It's so odd.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-16-2017, 04:48 PM
:rofl: That's crazy. Did you see my post a few up about the guy lounging in the seats with his feet up next to my mom. Do people seriously think someone wants a strangers feet in their face??? :lol:

Yes, that's what reminded me of the UNBROKEN incident. I recently walked out of SLEEPLESS because of people's actions in the theater, but that's another story.

Heather19
03-16-2017, 04:49 PM
Do tell.... :)

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-16-2017, 05:21 PM
When I bought the ticket I asked if it was crowded and was told one ticket had been sold. When I went in one guy was sitting all the way in the back in the center (MY SEAT!), so I sat in the front row center.

At the end of the last trailer, during which I had my eyes closed (I never watch the trailers, they give too much away), I felt my entire row jiggle. My eyes popped open and there was a heavyset woman sitting two seats to my right with a big tub of popcorn and who knows what else? There are now 3 people in the auditorium. I immediately get up, saying "Are you kidding me?" loudly under my breath, and move to the center row, all the way to the left.

The movie starts, her cell phone lights up, I am groaning, it goes off. At least 5 or 6 people come in, and sit in the row behind me and almost up to my seat, sitting down and kicking the seat backs repeatedly. I groan some more, but resolutely decide to watch the movie, which I am now thoroughly distracted from.

I now lose count of how many people are there because a few more stragglers come in, using their cell phones for flashlights. I endure the movie for almost an hour, now losing count of how many times people leave their seats to go out of the theater before coming back in a few minutes later.

Seat kicking now resumes, I have no idea what is going on in the movie and I get up and leave and go home.

A side note - When I saw GET OUT, which I nevertheless enjoyed very much, I counted five or six cell phones going on and off during the entire movie. I had to change my seat twice. I informed the usher afterwards and now the Emagine Theater chain has a contest for the best video produced asking people to please shut off their phones during the movie.

Heather19
03-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Oh man that does sound annoying. I don't know why people are so inconsiderate. If there's a lot of nonsense going on in the theater or people talking or making noise nearby me I get so annoyed and distracted, that I too stop paying attention to the movie. I think I mentioned this in my review of the film, but when I went to see Split, there were these two 10yr oldish girls behind us, and they were giggling throughout the whole movie. Literally at everything, even tense moments. So needless to say it wasn't tense at all, and throughout the whole film I felt myself fixating more on them than the film. I wish I could just block that stuff out but it's hard too.

Ricky
03-16-2017, 06:09 PM
I understand sometimes being late for a movie, but when you get the people who walk in with the their whole family, holding tubs of popcorn and looking up at the seats with their cell phone flashlights as though it's some foreign, mystical land, it makes me wish that entering the theater wasn't allowed after the posted showtime, whether you bought a ticket or not.

And I sometimes wonder if I'm maybe too intolerant when it comes to people's noises and annoying behavior in the theater, but both of your posts make me feel better! :lol:

Stuff like that really takes me out of the movie, and I can't remember how many years it's been since I've actually seen an usher monitoring the theater. It's almost like they don't care anymore...or have just given up trying to keep people in check.

Mattrick
03-16-2017, 06:20 PM
I tend to have good theatre experiences because I tend to only see the earliest showings and usually wait a few weeks after release to see a movie. Screw those big crowds, ESPECIALLY for horrors or thrillers.

You know what really grinds my gears? when a scene is supposed to be full of tension, and something happens, like a jump scare or a loud noise or something which catches you off guard, and you hear 200 people screaming, and then laughing or talking about how the movie scared them for the next fifteen seconds. This happened numerous times when I saw Get Out. Those people need to get out of the theatre.

needfulthings
03-16-2017, 06:34 PM
:lol: NOTHING WRONG HERE!
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/6255/FVyNKk.jpg
The last movie I saw in a theater was May 14 2015 & only because I was out of state & it was a preview screening the day before it opened on Friday the 15th & the newspaper in town only ran movie ads on Fridays so myself & 3 other people were the only ones to see the 7:30 screening. There was also a 10:00 screening & I assume there was NOBODY there.
AND JUST WHAT WAS THIS MOVIE?
http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9173/TNzLcQ.jpg
and now I can just screen it at home.

Mattrick
03-16-2017, 06:52 PM
I don't know. That carpet could use some updating. Is that circa 1966? :p

needfulthings
03-16-2017, 11:30 PM
:evil:
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6941/x5tWsn.jpg
Now can you name the movie?

webstar1000
03-17-2017, 03:27 AM
Here is one for you. Years ago, me and 3 friends went to see Matrix Revolutions. The theater was fairly busy too. A group of guys sat behind all of us. There was probably 5/6 of them. Not sure how it started but they were tapping the back of my seat... over and over again. I thought perhaps her was shaking his foot and not realizing that he was actually hitting my seat. I took it for maybe the opening scene of the movie and then turned around and looked at him... once, twice and on the third time I very nicely asked if he could watch his foot as it was banging my seat and was very distracting. His response? He laughed at me. No shit.... I turned back around. Blood boiling. At the time I was still fighting professionally in the ring and wasn't afraid of much but I was very reserved about getting into fights outside the ring cause I don't want a record or anything. He starts again... and this time he is banging the seat and on purpose. I turn right around and tell him "dude I am telling you to stop.. I asked nicely and your doing it on purpose now". He laughs again looks at his buddy to the right and left of him and points at me. I sit back down, look at my buddy as I was on the end of our group and say I think I am gonna leave and get my money back and come again sometime. And now, as I am doing this the guy behind me is now talking loudly and every couple of seconds he literally kicks my seat. My buddy looks back at him and he kicks his seat while he is looking. Brad (my friends name) stands up turns around and hauls off and punches this guy right in the mouth. Well.... you wanna see the fight drain out of someone so fast. He basically looks like he is ready to cry and Brad tells them to leave and then let there be light! The lights come on. The movie pauses and staff is right there coming in the theater. The guys behind us were removed, even though Brad struck one of them. We finished the movie and that was that. I never put my feet up. I never talk. I turn my phone off. I eat my popcorn and open bags of candy quietly... and I never bump anyones seat. It's rude and drives me so I know it does the same to others.

mae
03-17-2017, 04:28 AM
When I went to see Split a little while back, it had been out for a long time and I thought I'd be pretty much by myself, but no. The theater was small but full and a family came in with three small children, ages from around 4 to maybe 10. I have no idea why someone would do this, and all through the movie they were giggling, being on their phones, and making noise with their candy wrappers. :onfire:

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-17-2017, 08:26 AM
I guess I'm not alone with these jerks who go to see a movie and then spend more time looking at their cell phones instead. I've wanted to punch lots of people but I never have, and never will, I hope.

When I saw Elvis & Nixon, there were maybe a dozen people in the auditorium, with one woman dead center front row who repeated, loudly, every punch line and then laughed like a hyena. After the movie she stood up and faced the seats, saying. "I'm sorry!" I was shaking so much I didn't even look at her. The weird thing is, I still enjoyed the movie.

When I went to see The Great Wall a man behind me was reading all the English subtitles out loud for his son's benefit. I guess the kid couldn't read. He was trying to be quiet but I heard just about everything he said. It was annoying but the movie was in IMAX so the loudness helped. And again, I really enjoyed the movie anyway.

When I went to see Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs in IMAX 3D some years ago I was the ONLY ONE in the auditorium. So sometimes life is good. Too bad I didn't much care for the movie. I've been the sole patron a number of times, which is the way I prefer it.

dnemec
03-17-2017, 08:28 AM
Jeez, reading through these stories I'm reminded why I quit going to movies. People are so obnoxious!

DoctorZaius
03-17-2017, 02:17 PM
My only really bad experience was a long time ago when I went to see Saving Private Ryan. We had must gotten through the brutal opening sequence, when the fire alarms went off. We had to exit the building, up three flights of stairs mind you. After a half hour, we were allowed back in but were told that they would have to restart the movie for some reason I was not clear about. I found watching the opening the first time around emotionally exhausting, so I took my free ticket instead and went home. I just didn't want to sit through that opening again. I eventually did see the whole movie when it was released for home consumption. Love it, but I was glad I left.

Merlin1958
03-17-2017, 02:22 PM
I'm 6'9". A kid sits in front of me and starts to lean back in the seat. He's getting "launched" or punched!!!! LOL LOL LOL

needfulthings
03-17-2017, 03:14 PM
My only really bad experience was a long time ago when I went to see Saving Private Ryan. We had must gotten through the brutal opening sequence, when the fire alarms went off. We had to exit the building, up three flights of stairs mind you. After a half hour, we were allowed back in but were told that they would have to restart the movie for some reason I was not clear about. I found watching the opening the first time around emotionally exhausting, so I took my free ticket instead and went home. I just didn't want to sit through that opening again. I eventually did see the whole movie when it was released for home consumption. Love it, but I was glad I left.
:wtf:
You had to exit the building by going UP three flights of stairs? I would think in that case you should have been watching....
http://imageshack.com/a/img922/7250/ZCclyr.jpg

Still Servant
03-18-2017, 05:31 PM

One of the best parts about the new recliners is not having to worry about people putting their feet on the back of your seat. There's also plenty of room so when somebody needs to go to the bathroom, you don't have to stand or scrunch up to let them through.

My mom and my sister went to see Manchester by the Sea a few weeks back and a woman proceeded to knit throughout the entire film. They said you could hear the needles clinking against each other the whole time.

Mattrick
03-18-2017, 06:18 PM
My mom and my sister went to see Manchester by the Sea a few weeks back and a woman proceeded to knit throughout the entire film. They said you could hear the needles clinking against each other the whole time.

STAY HOME

Still Servant
03-18-2017, 06:23 PM

STAY HOME

Exactly! You go to the movies to watch a movie. If you want to knit, stay home. I probably would have stabbed her with those needles if I were there.

Mattrick
03-18-2017, 06:29 PM
If it was during The Happening maybe she'd get inspired.

needfulthings
03-18-2017, 10:28 PM

STAY HOME

Exactly! You go to the movies to watch a movie. If you want to knit, stay home. I probably would have stabbed her with those needles if I were there.

:pullhair:
http://imageshack.com/a/img921/214/MPUw2W.jpg

:idea:
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/5746/17bCHy.jpg

Merlin1958
02-16-2021, 03:03 PM
Staff; This video belongs in the dt Movie thread, but damened if I could find it. Anyway, this video is both funny and sadly on point regarding the film. Worth a view for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q59auc8ctE

Iwritecode
02-17-2021, 07:16 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if it's already that thread. That video is 3 years old.