PDA

View Full Version : Holdorf , (Thomas) Art / Doubleday 1993 Reissues

AKC
06-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Carrie, The Stand, The Shining, Night Shift, Pet Sematary and 'Salem's Lot were all reissued by DoubleDay in 1993 with DJ Art by Holdorf. What's the story behind these?

AKC
06-03-2011, 03:46 PM
My DJ Pricing on the 6 Issues I have is as follows:

Pet Sematary: $30.00
'Salem's Lot: $32.50
Carrie # 1: $25.00
Carrie # 2: $29.95
The Shining: $27.50
Night Shift: $30.00
The Stand: $30.00

WTF?

Randall Flagg
06-03-2011, 03:56 PM
This seems to me to be a "Collecting Question". It will be merged in the near future.

Shannon
06-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Per thegreattim:

"I didn't know the term for these books was Holdorf, but it's good to have a name, I was always just referring to them as the black and white DoubleDays. Anyway, all three of mine have prices

The Stand: $45
Night Shift: $30
Pet Sematary: $25"

So ... current talley:

Pet Sematary #1: $25.00
Pet Sematary #2: $30.00
'Salem's Lot: $32.50
Carrie #1: $25.00
Carrie #2: $29.95
The Shining: $27.50
Night Shift: $30.00
The Stand #1: $30.00
The Stand #2: $45.00

AKC
06-03-2011, 04:49 PM
More interesting differences between my 2 Carries

The UPC on the $25.00 DJ is NOT prepriced
The UPC on the $29.95 DJ is prepriced US $29.95 / $45.95 CAN and it contains the Triangle to indicate whether, if returned by the Book Dealer, it is Strippable or Not Strippable.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=344880

Given the the Triangle Symbol was not used until later than 1993 (I think), my guess is my copies are later print runs and perhaps they raised the price as well at that time.....

This is wearing me out.....
:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

Shannon
06-03-2011, 05:14 PM
Hmmm ... interesting. Do they have any normal first edition identifiers on the copyright page? Numberline, "FIRST EDITION"? Do they both have it, neither, only one of them?

You and me are gonna figure this out, lol

AKC
06-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Both Copyright pages are IDENTICAL with the exception of the Numberline. The Numberline on Version # 2 (Preprice UPC and Triangle) indicates a later print edition.....

No indication as to "Edition"......

This is fuckin' confusing and I appreciate the parternship on this one. WE WILL FIGURE IT OUT!
:thumbsup:

thegreattim
06-03-2011, 05:41 PM
Like I mentioned in the other thread my copies vary in the number of the printings, up to and including a spread of four printing. I am assuming these are in sync with the number of printings of each book had since the original DoubleDay releases? Though a price difference of $15 between the two Stands seems a bit freaking excessive. Then again, I have thought that $45 was too much for any trade book, since I picked that one up and first noticed it. For what it's worth, I the other copy of the Holdorf The Stand that I sold, was a lower printing by one but in worse condition. I distinctly remember the jacket price being lower too, but not by much.

AKC
06-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Awesome feedback! Sounds as if price discrepancies between like volumes are everywhere with these reprints!

$45.00 for a REPRINT is a bit excessive. No wonder my later copy was all the way down to $30.00! My guess is that they weren't selling as quickly as they would have liked!

CRAZY!

thegreattim
06-03-2011, 05:55 PM
This is kinda an intriguing topic. Thanks for putting the price list together Shannon. Maybe we should add in the exact printing number for each of the prices?

My $25 PS = 14th
My $45 Stand = 14th
And I apparently don't have my copy of Night Shift in my database. Will have to check again when I get home.

AKC
06-03-2011, 06:13 PM
$30 PS = 15th
$30 Stand = 11th
$27.50 Shining = 20th
$30 Night Shift = 18th
$32.50 'Salem's = 21st
$25.00 Carrie = 3rd
$29.95 Carrie = 7th

Gonna' need a Protractor and Financial Calculator to figure all of this out in the end.....a lot of different #'s!!!!
:arg:

Ric
06-03-2011, 06:14 PM
There's no way that the Holdorf Pet Sematary went to 15 printings. Doubleday must be including ALL printings from the original '82 release.

AKC
06-03-2011, 06:15 PM
I agree......

The Numberline on my Holdorf 'Salem's goes all the way up to 30!!!

thegreattim
06-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I am assuming these are in sync with the number of printings of each book had since the original DoubleDay releases?.

There's no way that the Holdorf Pet Sematary went to 15 printings. Doubleday must be including ALL printings from the original '82 release.

Yeah, I agree. That's what I was trying to say, just less succinctly.

Ric
06-03-2011, 06:20 PM
I am assuming these are in sync with the number of printings of each book had since the original DoubleDay releases?.

Yeah, I agree. That's what I was trying to say, just less succinctly.

Actually I didn't even see where you said that. :lol: You're spot on of course.

Niels
06-03-2011, 11:49 PM

That's normal practise here in the Netherlands. As long as the publisher is the same, mass-market paperbacks and others versions add up to the printing. (The difference between, editions/printings and only printings).

Cloysterpete
06-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Are we talking about this book?.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385199570/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Because I bought one and the printed dj price is now up to $50. I remember when I bought them from Amazon a couple of years back I couldn't get a copy of Pet Sematary, whereas all the others are still in print today.

Stockerlone
06-04-2011, 05:00 AM
THOMAS HOLDORF. Born. 1955...Died.1994.

thegreattim
06-04-2011, 07:44 AM

That's normal practise here in the Netherlands. As long as the publisher is the same, mass-market paperbacks and others versions add up to the printing. (The difference between, editions/printings and only printings).

That's really interesting. I think that these must just be hardcover printings. Unless I am grossly mistaken, the publishers in the US start the numberline, and hence the printing count over for new format editions. I have many a first printing paperback which I also had for some time previously in hardcover. Of course, a jacket rebranding as we see here never mattered. The text block remained the same.

AKC
07-20-2011, 12:43 PM
As many of you know, I had the 6 Double Day Reissues listed FOR SALE on eBay for the last week or so......

I am pleased to announce that they have been SOLD to fellow TDT Member east-tennessee as of this afternoon! :clap:Thanks to those fellow members that were interested and my apologies for not being in a position to sell the Pet Sematary on its own. I really wanted to keep the set together in an effort to move all 6 books.

It's now up to Brian (east-tennessee) to solve the mystery of the multiple prices on the DJs when compared to the copies held by other members!

I gave up!

Shannon will figure it out. Since he isn't buying anymore, he's got time!!!!!!

AKC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shannon
07-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Nah, I gave up also. lol

And I'm still buying, but only stuff I've been in talks to buy already. I have a good 75+ items on the horizon, lol. After THAT ... hopefully ... no more King items until my car is paid off. Only $4,000 more to go!

Shannon
10-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Found a Pet Sematary, Carrie, and 'Salem's Lot for $8.99 each. Yay me! :)

pixiedark76
10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Found a Pet Sematary, Carrie, and 'Salem's Lot for $8.99 each. Yay me! :)

You are so lucky to find Pet Sematary doubleday reissue!!!!!! And for such a great price! Where did you buy your copy from? I am having lots of trouble find a Pet Sematary reissue! Most booksellers don't know what I am asking about and always try to sell me the edition with the cat on it! (Pet Sematary is the only reissue I don't have.)

Shannon
10-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Found it on eBay. Was skimming along, scanning the "ending first" and "newly added" lists (the first 200 anyway) like always and saw the cover. Opened the ad, saw it was a stock photo, figured I would ask the seller if his cover image looks like the one in the photo, he said yes, as well as his other two. So, tah dah. I hope it IS the same though, you never know, lol.

pixiedark76
10-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Found it on eBay. Was skimming along, scanning the "ending first" and "newly added" lists (the first 200 anyway) like always and saw the cover. Opened the ad, saw it was a stock photo, figured I would ask the seller if his cover image looks like the one in the photo, he said yes, as well as his other two. So, tah dah. I hope it IS the same though, you never know, lol.

I gout burned once. The seller even said it was like the stock photo. I got the book and it was the cover with the cat on it. I got the book from a person who mostly sells antique records; I should have known better than to trust the seller.

Randall Flagg
04-04-2012, 05:49 PM
We may have a "Holdorf" edition of "Pet Sematary" for sale soon.

Shannon
04-04-2012, 07:42 PM
*ahem

Please refer to the THPS by its real name, thank you.

:)

Randall Flagg
06-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Unless this thread is updated with the correct images, it is a bit "stale".

namelessnpoor
11-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Can someone give me some knowledge on the 4 holdorff editions? I want to try and get a set, but are there first editions of these, priced jackets?, basically if I am going to buy these what should I look for to get the most desirable edition? Is it just a matter of getting the books in any printing just with the holdorf jacket?
And does anyone have a set or singles for sale?

Merlin1958
11-18-2013, 06:54 PM
Can someone give me some knowledge on the 4 holdorff editions? I want to try and get a set, but are there first editions of these, priced jackets?, basically if I am going to buy these what should I look for to get the most desirable edition? Is it just a matter of getting the books in any printing just with the holdorf jacket?

Try PM-ing, Shannon. He seems to be well versed in these editions.

namelessnpoor
11-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Will do, Bill, thanks

ELazansky
11-19-2013, 03:52 AM

There are six Holdorf Editions: - Carrie, Salem's Lot, The Shining, Night Shift, The Stand, and Pet Sematary. All of the jackets have prices on them, but none of the books are first printings. As far as I know, each Holdorf edition was a single printing with the Holdorf jacket:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Snapbucket/b45346de-ce4c-4f65-ba3f-ab586da254a9_zps10155ff7.jpg

AKC
11-19-2013, 04:17 AM

I've got an extra Carrie if interested......send me a PM.

namelessnpoor
11-19-2013, 06:00 AM
Thanks for the information, thought there were only 4, if anyone has any for sale let me know.
AKC....... PM sent

AKC
11-19-2013, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the information, thought there were only 4, if anyone has any for sale let me know.
AKC....... PM sent

Your 1st Holdorf Edition will be in the mail tomorrow!

AKC

Randall Flagg
11-19-2013, 07:00 AM
I moved the last few posts to this thread.

namelessnpoor
11-23-2013, 07:23 PM
AKC....... PM sent

Your 1st Holdorf Edition will be in the mail tomorrow!

AKC

Thanks! It arrived today, excellent book, thanks for the great deal.

I have already purchased 2 more from another member here, and 2 more on ebay all for great prices I think. So I have 5 of the 6, just missing the Shining. ....... Anyone have a Holdorf Shining they want to get a few bucks for?

Room 217 Caretaker
11-24-2013, 04:33 AM
Not sure if this has been discussed here before so I will throw it out there:

THOMAS HOLDORF. American..Born. 1955...Died.1994

Noted fashion PHOTOGRAPHER who was in great demand for print work and advertisements in all of the major Magazines. Thomas Holdorf was one of the leading advocates of contemporary American Photography Photocollage projects.

Thomas Holdorf started getting the attention of many galleries including The National Portrait Gallery in London.

Holdorf’s collage work reminds me of some of Jerry Uelsmann earlier pieces. Each collage is eerie to look at but so mesmerizing it makes them hard to put down.

HOLDORF, THOMAS
• _ Carrie by Stephen King (Doubleday, Oct ’93)
• _ Night Shift by Stephen King (Doubleday, Oct ’93)
• _ Pet Sematary by Stephen King (Doubleday, Oct ’93)
• _ ’Salem’s Lot by Stephen King (Doubleday, Oct ’93)
• _ The Shining by Stephen King (Doubleday, Oct ’93)
• _ The Stand by Stephen King (Doubleday, Oct ’93)
• _ ’Salem’s Lot by Stephen King (Doubleday, Aug ’1998 ) “Released 5 years after death”.

I had the pleasure of speaking with his old manager a few years ago. She couldn’t remember why Salem’s Lot release delay happened, he obviously had the collage completed with the others. She introduced me to some of his other collage work……….WOW is the best way to put it.

I have all but Salem's. The Stand & Salem's seems to be hard to find in nice shape.

Mulleins

jhanic
11-24-2013, 04:49 AM
• _ ’Salem’s Lot by Stephen King (Doubleday, Aug ’1998) “Released 5 years after death”. (not sure why the smile face takes over the number eight)

Mulleins

You can get rid of the smiley face by putting a space between the 8 and the ). 8 ) and no face.

John

Room 217 Caretaker
11-24-2013, 05:48 AM
• _ ’Salem’s Lot by Stephen King (Doubleday, Aug ’1998) “Released 5 years after death”. (not sure why the smile face takes over the number eight)

Mulleins

You can get rid of the smiley face by putting a space between the 8 and the ). 8 ) and no face.

John

Excellent! Thank you John.

I edited the post

Ralph

Randall Flagg
10-17-2018, 03:29 PM
Most fascinating. No true 1st edition 1st printings known to exist, but still an enigma...