PDA

View Full Version : Re-Read King Books--ALL of them--Who's with me?

beam*seeker
05-11-2011, 05:59 AM
I am embarking on the ambitious but (for me at least) intensely pleasurable journey of re-reading all of King's (fictional) books (and short stories, novellas, etc.)

Wondering if there is an interest in a Re-Reading club? (If this has been done in another thread, cry your pardon, but I could not find it and I DID look).

I was thinking of going in order of publication (chiefly because that is how my list is organized) but wondering if any of you CR have suggestions for alternative reading order lists?

Toyed with the idea of the suggested order of books in the DT thread with the incorporated bits from Hearts in Atlantis, Insomnia, Little Sisters of Euluria, and Eyes of the Dragon, but in the end I think I will go chronologically with the novels, then if I have the stamina, tackle the nonfiction, then the published journal articles.

Comments? Suggestions? Dares? Heckling?

Anyone else for a re-read of all the books? Clearly if you are a bookgeek like me you should have the time to devote.

Jean
05-11-2011, 06:18 AM
sounds very, very, VERY tempting

bears wish they could say right away that they would participate... and maybe yes, they will

it's beautiful experience, knowing that you're reading a book at the same time as your friends do (that's one of the reasons why we have that bookclub)

knowing that you're reading the same ton of them must be even awesomer

ICry4Oy
05-11-2011, 09:16 AM
My first thought was ****runs to bedroom, grabs gun, shoots self in hea......***

beam*seeker
05-13-2011, 03:54 PM
LOL

LadyHitchhiker
05-15-2011, 08:02 PM
My first thought was that I haven't read all of them yet (missed a few) to re-read them.... so I would have to selectively be part of the group... bummer...

My second thought was, "I didn't finish Lisey's Story and I don't know if I can!" :lol:

beam*seeker
05-16-2011, 05:31 AM
It's no pressure. Just thought it'd be fun to try and discuss as we go. Is Lisey's Story really that bad?

frik
05-16-2011, 06:45 AM
Is Lisey's Story really that bad?

Certainly not!
The best Kingbook of the last two decades-easily.
It's King's own favorite, I believe, and close to mine.

sk

Jean
05-16-2011, 06:54 AM
the post above tells me I overlooked something... but my memory tells me I didn't

thus, maybe, a global re-read is really a good idea, I will have to re-read LS, for the sake of intellectual honesty

Ricky
05-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Lisey's Story isn't terrible, it's just a bit of a departure from SK's regular writing and plot. I think that the people (and least people I've seen) who were disappointed in Lisey's Story have only their own expectations to blame.

frik
05-16-2011, 07:05 AM
maybe, a global re-read is really a good idea

Nah - that way it'll take you -and anyone else- years to finally (re)read this book - at least, if the books are read in order of publication.
Just go ahead and read it - You might even like it.

sk

The Road Virus
05-16-2011, 07:08 AM
My first thought was also I haven't read nearly all of them so I can't re-read but I have thought about starting to do chron. order after 2 or 3 more books I want to read. So I would like to participate for the ones I haven't read yet.

My second thought was I'm not gonna re-read Insomnia, can't do it. Ha

Jean
05-16-2011, 07:15 AM
maybe, a global re-read is really a good idea

Nah - that way it'll take you -and anyone else- years to finally (re)read this book - at least, if the books are read in order of publication.
Just go ahead and read it - You might even like it.

sk No, hardly years - I can average one King novel a week if I don't read more than two books parallel to it. I need some very serious stimulation to open LS again. Your opinion, though, is a step in that direction... maybe in summer -

WeDealInLead
05-16-2011, 01:05 PM
I might be up for it next year. I'm not planning on doing much reading during summer. I mean, it's summer time, time to hit the beach and hang out outdoors.

I'm reading everything chronologically for the most part. The only times I cheat are when I finish some sort of mammoth book (It, Needful Things etc), I'll read something shorter to keep the momentum going (The Girl Who..., The Colorado Kid, Blaze etc). I have less than 10 left and if I'm to judge a book by the reviews and opinions from 'the worst book' thread, there are a few I'm really dreading.

Jimimck
05-16-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd be keen, but doubt I could commit to a time frame to have them finished in, which I assume you'd need to agree on up front to keep things rolling for the masses. You're right though, it is fun reading a book with someone else, especially when you start the "did you get to this part yet" and :" oh and what about..."

Jean
05-16-2011, 10:10 PM
yes, exactly!

and, WeDealInLead - thank you for reminding me of Bachman books... I am afraid I might have to skip Blaze and Roadwork. These two devastated me. I am not sure I am up to this, emotionally. Few books impressed me so deep, and left a bear in such total emotional ruins

or do we have to include Bachman at all?

beam*seeker
05-17-2011, 05:58 AM
Well, I just got a gift card burning a hole in my pocket and so I guess I will start with Carrie. To be fair, I am not sure if there are some I would skip on the reread as well. Not sure I am ready to read the DT series again so soon. I may save it for a grand finale.

The Road Virus
05-17-2011, 06:02 AM
Depending how long it takes you with Carrie vs. how long it takes me to finish the rest of The Stand, I would be down to start going chron. with you starting @ Salem's Lot at least for a few books :)

LadyHitchhiker
05-17-2011, 06:41 AM
I love Stephen King's writing.. I understand he goes through changes with books, but after 100 pages into Lisey's Story, and not knowing where the woman is crazy, if she's dead or if her husband's really dead, and just too MUCH mystery, I got overwhelmed and put it aside. That was when it first came out to paperback. Anyone got a date on that? Too lazy to look it up right now. I've NEVER given up on a Stephen King book. So far, though, I'm just excited by the wonderful updates of our local library, and how it has magnificent actually really new stuff that I actually want to read, so I've been getting caught up with that "new book" excitement, that can be so intoxicating.

Oh and for the record, I didn't care for Blaze, but I finished it. But he warns us in the beginning that it's not his favorite work, either. I would re-read it though, with friends, and maybe through that fashion discover a joy in the book that I did not find originally.

Hell, I'll even do Lisey's story if it's with friends.. I'll try! I'll force myself... it'll be homework!

And another thing for the record: I know Insomnia was hard to get through, it starts completely slow... but I truly ended up loving that book! :)

Jean
05-17-2011, 07:11 AM
And another thing for the record: I know Insomnia was hard to get through, it starts completely slow... but I truly ended up loving that book! :)just the opposite with bears, as usual... I loved the beginning, liked the middle, and got rather bored closer to the end where all the fuss started.

LadyHitchhiker
05-17-2011, 03:53 PM
And another thing for the record: I know Insomnia was hard to get through, it starts completely slow... but I truly ended up loving that book! :)just the opposite with bears, as usual... I loved the beginning, liked the middle, and got rather bored closer to the end where all the fuss started.

Interesting.... We will have to re-read it in order to bounce opinions off one another, won't we? ;)

Jean
05-18-2011, 05:12 AM
everything points at this...

costanza
07-11-2011, 11:32 AM
I'm doing a chronological listening of the man's work. Just finished The Langoliers.
I like Willem Defoe as an actor but his read was pretty bad. Oh well, on to Secret Window!

pixiedark76
07-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I started reading "Carrie" back in January and now I am reading "The Green Mile" When I read "The Bachman Books" I read the book that had all of them together (except for Blaze) I thought it was easier this way. The Bachman Books were so different than his other works.

WeDealInLead
07-12-2011, 05:20 AM
I started chronologically sometime last year and I have 10 or so left. I'm not looking forward to most of them to be honest. I've read some of the later works (last 10 years) and they simply can't compare to the magic of his earlier works. I love most things he wrote up until The Dark Half. Books after that are hit or miss for me. I don't know, King is to writters what Metallica is to heavy metal. Very low quality control, very big egos, and some bizzare notion that every riff (or story) needs to be recorded/written down and made public. Not every idea is a good idea and I think King (and Metallica) are soooo big that no one has the guts to tell them that maybe what they're working on isn't so good. Sure, one could find redeeming quality in most things they do (guitar tone or a chapter, passage etc) but we also didn't have to LOOK FOR THEM in the earlier works. They were simply there. Dreamcatcher vs. The Shining (or any early work really), St. Anger vs. Master of Puppets. Know what I mean?

Anyways... I'm still interested in doing this but maybe a more fitting re-read would be the complete DT re-read? I think with the new book coming out next spring and Little Sisters, I'd be more interested in that than all 50 or so books.

pixiedark76
07-12-2011, 01:18 PM
I agree with you on the DT re-read. It would be fun to dive back into the DT universe again.

blavigne
07-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I am in!

Merlin1958
07-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Maybe we should start a "King Re-Read - Book Club" and sorta "assign the books and discuss them? Second (or more) times around?

Just trying to get in the "spirit" here. Just Re-read "The Shining".

Jean
07-22-2011, 12:13 AM
at the moment, it sounds like a very good idea to me

I can't trust my judgment at the moment, though, the weather being a regular bear-killer

I'll come back to this whenever it is below 90F. All opinions and suggestions are very welcome

Merlin1958
07-22-2011, 04:31 PM
at the moment, it sounds like a very good idea to me

I can't trust my judgment at the moment, though, the weather being a regular bear-killer

I'll come back to this whenever it is below 90F. All opinions and suggestions are very welcome

"Bear's" should try Arizona!!!! 117 degrees, but its a "dry" heat!!!! LOL LOL LOL

Jean
07-22-2011, 11:52 PM
bears should try Iceland...

beam*seeker
08-01-2011, 06:05 AM
Just read Carrie for the first time, it was great! So good, I reread it right away.
Finished Salem's Lot, and it was more awesome than I would have ever imagined.
I know technically, I should reread the Shining next, but I could not resist reading It first, and I am about half way through. I can't believe how good most of King's early stuff is! So glad I decided to go back and read some of his early stuff. I know I will love a reread of the Shining but I am having to gear myself up to a re-read of The Stand. Not sure why I am getting mental resistance to that book.

WeDealInLead
08-17-2011, 11:35 AM
I've read 99% of his books just once but I'm sure you're right about the re-read. The story and writting is so good and I kept thinking more, more, more but now that I know what happens, I'm sure I'll enjoy every single page even more than before.

So, DT re-read... how many are in?

pixiedark76
08-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I am currently reading all of his books in chronological order. I am thinking about skipping the DT books because I have read them 3 times each. I have ignored the non DT books of Stephen King. When I am done reading the non DT books in order, then I will do a DT only re-read.

Merlin1958
08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
I could get with this if "Beam Seeker" changed avatars. That kid with the blood on its mouth really kinda freaks me out!!! LOL LOL Seriously though, that is frightening!!! LOL

WeDealInLead
08-27-2011, 05:35 PM
OK, maybe the first 4? None are too time consuming.

Randall Flagg
08-30-2011, 07:27 AM
I an currently rereading The Shining, and The Dead Zone.

Brice
08-30-2011, 01:47 PM
I started rereading consecutively all of King's books last year in between all the other books I read.. I am at IT currently.

skyofcrack
01-11-2012, 03:04 PM
I've seriously been neglecting my reading of late especially my SK collection. I have, in the past, read my entire SK collection chronologically more than once. I just started to re-read it again. I include all the short stories and novels. No non-fiction. I started with Jhonathan and the Witchs, then People, Places and Things (no copy of Jumper, Rush Call), The Killer . I just finished I Was a Teenage Grave Robber. Next up is The Glass Floor.

Tik
01-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I started re-reading all of Stephen King's books (and watching his original TV series) in order last year. I'm saving the Dark Tower series until last.

I'm on From A Buick 8 at the moment. Re-reading all these books has been an eye opener for me. I'm finding all sorts of Easter eggs and details I missed the first time round. I didn't know Jack Sawyer had a cameo in The Tommyknockers for example. Or that in the world of Derry and Castle Rock a version of Stephen King exists (presumably writing similar kind of books but about different events). The cosmology of the White and the Outer Dark is very consistent throughout, appearing in books I wouldn't have thought they would (eg The Green Mile).

I certainly enjoyed Rose Madder alot more this time round. I got the impression that Rose Madder is the Crimson Queen from the Dark Tower comics!

Really really enjoying it and would recomend doing this to any Stephen King fan!

beam*seeker
02-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Okay, the gang bang at the end of It sort of derailed me. Or maybe I could not face the prospect of re-reading The Stand. Don't get me wrong, I liked The Stand. Just not in the mood for a reread of it. I did like The Talisman. But that got me going on a fantasy kick and I got bogged down in reading Game of Thrones. So I will eventually get back on the reread King in order kick. Not sure I can hold out and get through all of the old stuff to get to the new stuff I would love to read. I grabbed the Full Dark No Stars for quick read over Christmas, and I was impressed! Technically, it was out of order. I was thinking of reading them all, but not necessarily in chronological order, as I was feeling maybe I should skip to Dark House from The Talisman? Then maybe, I thought I would just do DT related books?

I agree that I am finding a lot of cool easter eggs and details I missed the first go round, and some of the stuff I thought I knew but didn't--I mean who knew Carrie was such a great little story?

I am up for a DT reread, but want to read his other stuff first.

Any books I should skip because they will deter me from getting thru the whole stack???

Tik
05-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Just finished re-reading all of King's books....over 58 of them! Also read the Dark Tower comics and original King movies/TV series such as Storm of the Century and Creepshow.

As I've read them, details I missed or originally didn't notice have come to light and some aspects of what I thought I knew have changed. Andre Linoge, for example. I originally thought him to be his own character but having read/seen everything continuously I am now convinced he is another facet of Flagg/Walter.

All in all it's been a very enjoyable undertaking :D