PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Tower Q&A - Ask a question, get an answer! *spoilers*

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Buddhist_32
10-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Edit: If you have a general question, or are confused about something in the series, ask here for a quick answer rather than start a new thread :thumbsup:

Index.

Q: Can you help me with a quote about something let's get high?
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=52626&postcount=3

Q: In which book is it said that "in one world, the tower manifests as a lion"?
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=68611&postcount=15
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=68870&postcount=24
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=68990&postcount=29

Q: Where can I find a description of Roland's pocketwatch?
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=136748&postcount=35
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=136770&postcount=36

Q: When did Roland and Susannah make love thus producing Mordred?
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=158792&postcount=45

Q: Is there's a connection between Gunslinger and the Warren Zevon song, "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner"?
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=176822&postcount=50
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=176837&postcount=51

Q: Can someone tell me what a stuffy guy is?
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=185910&postcount=58

Q: Why do the 3 SK in the castle of Red King call the king "Los' "?
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=209342&postcount=71

Q: Does "hume" mean "human"?
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=209337&postcount=70

Q: At first, the red birth-mark was on left foot of Mordred, but later changed to RIGHT foot!!
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=209358&postcount=73

Q: Why is the dan-tete spider???
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=213587&postcount=86

Q: WHO IS BANGO SKANK????
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=223810&postcount=94
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=223932&postcount=95

Q: All I need is the page number and the edition.
1. When Flagg is called The Dark Man (The Stand?)
2. When Flagg is called The Ageless Stranger (The Stand/Dark Tower?)
3. When Flagg is called a quasi-immortal wizard:
4. Walter's flashback appearance in Wizard and Glass.
5. Walter's flashback appearance in Song of Susannah.
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=246380&postcount=119

Q: Where was Jamie when Roland, Cuthbert, and Alain were in the vilage of Mejis?
A: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=247703&postcount=125

- * -

The one about something something let's get high. If anyone know what i'm talking about and knows it i'd really appreciate it if someone could help me

thanks.

Daghain
10-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Buddhist_32, welcome to the site!

I don't know the poem, but I am sure someone here can help you out. :D

MonteGss
10-23-2007, 09:27 PM
The one about something something let's get high. If anyone know what i'm talking about and knows it i'd really appreciate it if someone could help me

thanks.

I've posted this before in the Favorite Quotes thread in Gilead:

"Flip-flop, hippety-hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and let's get high."

Daghain
10-23-2007, 09:29 PM
AHA! I should have known you would know it. :wub:

MonteGss
10-23-2007, 09:29 PM
:cool:

Storyslinger
10-24-2007, 05:24 AM
Way to go Monte:rock:

Letti
10-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Monte is our living codex.

MonteGss
10-25-2007, 03:10 AM
No, no, no. CK and Daghain are. :) Thanks though...

ladysai
10-25-2007, 05:26 AM

thanks.

I've posted this before in the Favorite Quotes thread in Gilead:

"Flip-flop, hippety-hop, offa your rocker and over the top, life's a fiction and the world's a lie, so put on some Creedence and let's get high."

That's one of my favorite quotes from the series.:thumbsup:

Matt
10-25-2007, 06:34 AM
That philosophy always used to really work too :lol:

Daghain
10-25-2007, 09:59 AM
No, no, no. CK and Daghain are. Thanks though...

And that would be why you have me totally stumped with a trivia question? :lol:

MonteGss
10-25-2007, 07:49 PM
No, no, no. CK and Daghain are. Thanks though...

And that would be why you have me totally stumped with a trivia question? :lol:

Hmmmm...just think what I could come up with if I owned the Concordance of Bev's book...!
:D

robinscw
11-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Hello,

I'm a graduate student in English literature writing a paper on the Dark Tower. I've been told that there's a line somewhere in The Dark Tower where King writes that "in one world, the tower manifests as a lion"

Does anyone have any idea which book this is in?

I'd love to find the citation, I thought maybe someone would have an ebook version that was searchable or something...I just don't have time to re-read the series yet and can't remember where the quote is.

Thanks a million,
Caleb

Darkthoughts
11-28-2007, 03:53 AM
I would have thought that it would be in Song of Susannah or The Dark Tower. Don't recall that quote myself, but those two books are the ones where the ka-tet meet King.

Jean
11-28-2007, 04:38 AM
it's a tiger, not a lion:

There was a pause during which those gathered in that place considered the idea. Then Feemalo said, almost apologetically:
“The cost might not be so great if one were just to consider this world, which we might call Tower Keystone, since the Dark Tower exists here not as a rose, as it does on many, or an immortal tiger, as it does on some, or the ur-dog Rover, as it does on at least one—”

Wuducynn
11-28-2007, 06:18 AM
Isn't part of that quote "the ur-dog Rover"?

Jean
11-28-2007, 06:22 AM
yes, thank you, my scanned copy is very bad (but soon! soon! I'll get the Real Book!...)

Wuducynn
11-28-2007, 06:24 AM
:harrier:

robinscw
11-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Y'all are amazing...thank you so much for the line...I had no idea people knew the series so well.

Thanks again.

Jean
11-28-2007, 07:51 AM
you're always welcome robinscw! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-28-2007, 09:25 AM
Hello,

I'm a graduate student in English literature writing a paper on the Dark Tower. I've been told that there's a line somewhere in The Dark Tower where King writes that "in one world, the tower manifests as a lion"

Does anyone have any idea which book this is in?

I'd love to find the citation, I thought maybe someone would have an ebook version that was searchable or something...I just don't have time to re-read the series yet and can't remember where the quote is.

Thanks a million,
Caleb

The Dark Tower:
Then Freemalo said, almost apologetically: "The cost might not be so great if one were just to consider this world, which we might call Tower Keystone, since the Dark Tower exists here not as a rose, as it does on many, or an immortal tiger, as it does on some, or the ur dog Rover, as it does on at least one—"
"A dog named Rover?" Susannah asked, bemused. "Do you really say so?"

Matt
11-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Y'all are amazing...thank you so much for the line...I had no idea people knew the series so well.

Thanks again.

We do have an amazing amount of knowledge among this group, almost anything you can imagine having to do with the series. :clap:

robinscw
11-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Anyone know which book that line is in? Even better, anyone know what page it's on?

Jean
11-28-2007, 11:23 AM
it's DT7, but I don't know anything about pages, I don't have it in form of a real book. It's Chapter III: THE CASTLE OF THE CRIMSON KING, Part Four.

robinscw
11-28-2007, 12:08 PM
Amazing...you're simply amazing...I'm using it for a portion of a paper that's due tomorrow...I can totally go find the passage in the library and cite it now...thanks again

Ruthful
11-28-2007, 12:31 PM
pg. 609, hardbacked (Grant) edition, American

Right below the fourth subchapter in Chapter III: The Castle of the Crimson King.

OchrisO
11-28-2007, 01:40 PM
Hooray for English majors. I'm and English Lit. undergrad right now. I would like to read your paper when you are finished if you wouldn't mind sharing it.

Ruthful
11-28-2007, 01:47 PM
I was an English minor in college, with a concentration in American lit. I actually did do a twenty page paper on Stephen King for a seminar I was enrolled in during my senior year. It was a comparative research paper into gothic literature with a lot of comparisons to writers like Hawthorne and Poe, with an accompanying oral presentation. I don't think I even mentioned The Dark Tower, although I could be mistaken. I'll have to go and check.

This sounds like fun though.

Tell us how it works out, Robin.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-28-2007, 02:09 PM
Anyone know which book that line is in? Even better, anyone know what page it's on?

Grant Trade = Page 609
Grant S/L Book 2 = Page 207
Hodder & Stoughton UK Trade = Page 493 :evil:

Daghain
11-28-2007, 02:14 PM
Speaking as another English major, I'd like to read that paper, too. :D

Wuducynn
11-28-2007, 04:16 PM
Same here. Sounds great.

Letti
11-28-2007, 11:50 PM

Thanks again.

We have some incredible minds here, my friend. :)

robotstump
12-04-2007, 07:36 PM
In the beginning of Drawing of the Three. Is Roland actually INSIDE eddie or is he just watching him invisible. And where exactly are they? A BAR?

Erin
12-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Eddie is on an airplane. Roland finds a door on the beach titled "The Prisoner". When he opens it, he can see through Eddie's eyes. When he steps through the door, he enters Eddie's body and can control his movements.

She-Oy
12-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Yes, I believe Roland is actually "inside" of Eddie like a person who needs to be exorcised.

As strange as that is, King really makes it work for the purpose. Makes it believable.

robotstump
12-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Oh shit!
I understand now! Thanks!
Whats up with all the drugs and stuff then?

Kevin
12-05-2007, 03:19 PM
If you're in the middle of a chapter, finish it. It'll all become clear, my friend. :)

Plus, I dont want to spoil anything. :(

Still Servant
12-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Yer bob, Roland is inside Eddie and looking through his eyes.

Eddie's running drugs for a local drug dealer. If you're not there already, keep reading, it's about to get real good.

robotstump
12-05-2007, 05:42 PM
alright haha thanks a lot. I jsut felt completely lost....like I missed something. Thanks.

TerribleT
12-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Roland's conciousness is inside of Eddie, his body is is not. His body remains next to the door.

MonteGss
12-08-2007, 02:59 PM
I would like to read your paper as well. :)

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Fuck if I know..my idea is that its shifting between realities. What do you all think?

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 11:48 AM
It looks like it would make a great candy bar name :lol:

Matt
12-11-2007, 11:48 AM
I believe it is meant to imply that he uses magic to move about.

Dark magic.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah, "TRY THE NEW DARKLE AND TINCT BAR, AND SEE THE DIFFERENT LEVELS OF THE DARK TOWER!!"

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah, "TRY THE NEW DARKLE AND TINCT BAR, AND SEE THE DIFFERENT LEVELS OF THE DARK TOWER!!"

Now with almonds! :rofl:

Seriously, I would figure it an act of his dimingness qualities

Brice
12-11-2007, 11:52 AM
My interpretation has always been that darkle and tinct mean the ability to shift between the various dimensions and times at will.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 11:54 AM
My interpretation has always been that darkle and tinct mean the ability to shift between the various dimensions and times at will.

Yeah, same here. Interesting when Patrick says that Los' darkles and tincts at the time he was trying to capture his image with his mind..its as if Los' is always doing that..shifting between dimensions and times. Makes sense.

jayson
12-11-2007, 12:34 PM
... Interesting when Patrick says that Los' darkles and tincts at the time he was trying to capture his image with his mind..its as if Los' is always doing that..shifting between dimensions and times. Makes sense.

Think about it, the two characters it is used in reference to are Roland and Los. These are the two we all seem to agree are singular entities, without twinners, able to move between worlds as themselves and by their own doing in most cases. I think the phrase describes this nature.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Think about it, the two characters it is used in reference to are Roland and Los. These are the two we all seem to agree are singular entities, without twinners, able to move between worlds as themselves and by their own doing in most cases. I think the phrase describes this nature.

Good call. But also remember Legion is described as darkling and tincting..so Roland and Los' aren't the only ones.

OchrisO
12-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Darkle \Dar"kle\ (d[aum]r"k'l), v. i. [Freq. of dark.]
To grow dark; to show indistinctly. --Thackeray.
[1913 Webster]

Tinct \Tinct\, v. t. [See Tinge.]
To color or stain; to imblue; to tint. [Archaic] --Bacon.
[1913 Webster]

He gathers shadow and shifts in the color spectrum. It makes one hard to see. When Patrick is trying to capture his image, he keeps shifting in the spectrum, which would be tough on a painter.

Darkthoughts
12-12-2007, 02:26 AM
Good call Chris - I was coming in here to say pretty much the same thing.

The example I was going to use was IT. There was a point where IT didn't know what form to take, and it sort of kept swimming in and out of shape, that's how I'd describe darkle and tinct.

ManOfWesternesse
12-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Agree - it's essentially the ability/quality to be 'dim'.

Grillslinger
12-12-2007, 06:04 AM
Huh....I always just thought it meant that he meddles.

Never thought to question it. You guys may be right though.

sai blaine
12-12-2007, 06:15 AM
http://www.poe-news.com/fshow.php?userid=9593

...random

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 06:20 AM
Darkle Dar"kle (d[aum]r"k'l), v. i. [Freq. of dark.]
To grow dark; to show indistinctly. --Thackeray.
[1913 Webster]

Tinct Tinct, v. t. [See Tinge.]
To color or stain; to imblue; to tint. [Archaic] --Bacon.
[1913 Webster]

He gathers shadow and shifts in the color spectrum. It makes one hard to see. When Patrick is trying to capture his image, he keeps shifting in the spectrum, which would be tough on a painter.

I've looked up the definition, but I was talking about in terms of the saga. I think, like I said above, that its more than just a color spectrum thing, but actually shifting in and out of various dimensions.

Darkthoughts
12-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Yes, perhaps like Jack would look if you saw him just flipping into or out of the territories. Could be alluding to the fact that RF is simultaeneously on many levels of the tower?

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Could be alluding to the fact that RF is simultaeneously on many levels of the tower?

Well I was talking about Los' but RF/Walter/Legion too definitely.

Darkthoughts
12-13-2007, 02:29 AM
*pays more attention* :blush:

jayson
12-13-2007, 04:24 AM
It could just be Tower-talk for having to go to the bathroom. If things had gone differently with The Chap, couldn't you just see him crawling his way over to his White Daddy and saying "Papa Roland, I gotta go darkle"?

Wuducynn
12-13-2007, 06:08 AM
:rofl:

Storyslinger
12-13-2007, 06:17 AM
It could just be Tower-talk for having to go to the bathroom. If things had gone differently with The Chap, couldn't you just see him crawling his way over to his White Daddy and saying "Papa Roland, I gotta go darkle"?

pathoftheturtle
12-14-2007, 02:41 AM
This thread is a pretty illuminating one. :) It seems to me that you folks have covered it quite well. I think that you are right, All_Hail:

I've looked up the definition, but I was talking about in terms of the saga. I think, like I said above, that its more than just a color spectrum thing, but actually shifting in and out of various dimensions.All that I can add is that I would guess that that does also apply in the cases of o'Dim and of It. (Not that I really understand how the different magics in King's books work.)

alinda
12-14-2007, 06:26 AM
I always took it to mean , The ability to "facinate".

jayson
12-14-2007, 06:31 AM
I always took it to mean , The ability to "facinate".

Hadn't thought of it like that, but yes, that does seem to be a quality of those who "darkle & tinct." good one.

Matt
12-14-2007, 01:49 PM
Yep, maybe like the ability to kind of..."glamor"?

timtempest6
01-10-2008, 06:25 PM
OK my quick question. why dose eddie look right to see the sea if there walking north along the western sea? i know its just a typo but lets keep the Q & A going

Matt
01-15-2008, 08:08 AM
That may simply be a typo or perhaps the poles are reversed in Rolands world. :orely:

Childe 007
01-21-2008, 09:27 PM
OK my quick question. why dose eddie look right to see the sea if there walking north along the western sea? i know its just a typo but lets keep the Q & A going

I have always thought that Roland's world is inverted - the journey from In World to End World - seemingly from center to edge - but The Tower is actually the center...

At some point the "flip" has to be made. I think that it was during the "palaver" with Walter. Ages go by and the world(s) are turned inside out.

In an inverted world the western sea would be to the right.

MonteGss
01-28-2008, 10:39 PM

Yes, perhaps like Jack would look if you saw him just flipping into or out of the territories. Could be alluding to the fact that RF is simultaeneously on many levels of the tower?

I fall in with these lines of thought.

LadyHitchhiker
01-29-2008, 12:55 AM

I prefer to think I gotta go tinct...

childeluke
01-29-2008, 01:58 PM
ummmm....my guess is covered in shadow and shifting. I would say this also affects the soul in some form or another. ( a form of damnation, perhaps? or possibly just a karmic mutation. don't ask me what that means it just popped into my head.)

Mist_on_the_Water
01-29-2008, 05:10 PM
heh..I'm one of those people who pretty much gets what it's SUPPOSED to mean but for some reason the way the words sound it seems almost like it menas soemthing like sitting, waiting, thinking, tarrying, and having either great patience or procrastinating....but it's not the definition....that's just what i think it sounds like...

I'm done rambling now...

Mattrick
01-29-2008, 11:01 PM
It refers to how Roland never goes on. He just continuosly grows darker, more shadowy, until he's simply a stain. It means he's stuck, In the loop.

Darkle refers to his being about to go other places/whens, tinct refers to his being embedded.

timtempest6
02-07-2008, 06:33 PM
but the sun works the right way, and that had to be the only way eddie would have known witch way to go when roland told him north. i think its just the magnetic poles that are in drift (it was a typo) 1 of meny

timtempest6
02-08-2008, 05:22 PM
see my post on typos and bloopers thread

ATG
03-11-2008, 06:45 PM
The one Eddie used to carve the key they used to draw Jake into Mid World.

How do you picture it?
I see it as a fillet style with a exotic steel blade, like damascus.
http://i25.tinypic.com/33le9er.jpg
What do you see in your minds eye? What style of blade?

A Modified Tanto? A Sheepsfoot or a spay? Other?

Letti
03-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Something very old... simple... and sharp. Maybe with some fainted symbols.

Storyslinger
03-12-2008, 06:01 AM
Like This

http://www.nedsmithcenter.org/images/06rifleKnifeEngraving263.jpg

Jean
03-12-2008, 06:05 AM
I always thought it was far broader, heavier, and wider at the side opposite the blade

Storyslinger
03-12-2008, 06:07 AM
I always thought it was far broader, heavier, and wider at the side opposite the blade

Something like this

http://outdoors-magazine.com/local/cache-vignettes/L500xH454/SBTHandHT_6744-213c7.jpg

Jean
03-12-2008, 06:21 AM
no... I see no reason why Roland would carry along such a thing, he wasn't going to whittle, was he? If he has a knife, it must be a weapon, well-balanced and all that. I'll try to find what I mean.

Storyslinger
03-12-2008, 06:22 AM
no... I see no reason why Roland would carry along such a thing, he wasn't going to whittle, was he? If he has a knife, it must be a weapon, well-balanced and all that. I'll try to find what I mean.

Thanks, that will help me a lot.

Jean
03-12-2008, 06:26 AM
maybe like that:

you see, it must be used for throwing, too, so the handle should be heavy, for balance. These are not perfect, either, because I am not crazy about that jagged tip.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/HUNTERS.JPG

Storyslinger
03-12-2008, 06:28 AM
You have a big red x, but I followed the link back

Which colored handle?

Jean
03-12-2008, 06:31 AM
the reddish brown. Wait a sec, I'll try to upload it to gallery.

Storyslinger
03-12-2008, 06:33 AM
Got it now.

Yeah, I could see that

Ka-tet
03-14-2008, 06:28 AM
The one on the far right of jeans last post, i pictured it really old and batterd.

jayson
03-14-2008, 06:36 AM
i see the blade as something like what jean posted, large and utilitarian. the handle i see as handcarved wood, possibly with symbols of the eld or something significant to roland.

BillyxRansom
03-14-2008, 04:03 PM
real quick, how many miles are in a wheel (or vice versa)?

Hannah
03-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi Billy! I think this thread would be more appropriate in our dark tower related forums. I'm going to move it there with a redirect.

Thanks,
Hannah

BillyxRansom
03-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Hi Billy! I think this thread would be more appropriate in our dark tower related forums. I'm going to move it there with a redirect.

Thanks,
Hannah

thanks and sorry about that anyway. :)

MonteGss
03-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Isn't this already in the dark tower related section (Mid-World/Gilead) or am I going mad? :unsure:
Or was it already moved? :)

Matt
03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
I have no idea but I would love to know the answer to the original question. :rock:

And don't worry about putting it in the wrong place Billy, that's what the staff is for. :D

We may want to make the name something more fitting to the question though, it sounds like something other than it is.

BillyxRansom
03-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Isn't this already in the dark tower related section (Mid-World/Gilead) or am I going mad? :unsure:
Or was it already moved? :)

moved. look up about 3 posts from here. :)

MonteGss
03-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Yes, I've read the whole thread dude. :)
When I first saw it though, it was already in Gilead, which is why I asked.

Anyway, I don't know how many miles are in a wheel. I don't think it ever says in the Books but I'm sure some Concordance lover might have the answer for you. If it is anywhere, it would be there. :)

Matt
03-14-2008, 04:45 PM
Ah, good suggestion.

From the Robin Furth's Concordance:

In the Waste Lands, Blaine tells us that a distance of 8000 wheels is roughly the equivalent of 7000 mile. In that case there are about 1.143 wheels to a mile. However, in Wizard and Glass, tricky Blaine tells us that 900 mph is the same as 530 wheels per hour. In this instance, one wheel is equal to 1.7 miles. In The Dark Tower, we are told that 120 wheels is roughly equivalent to 100 miles, hence a wheel equals .83 of a mile, but slightly later we are told that twelve wheels is equal to nine or ten miles, hence a wheel is approximately .75 of a mile. Obviously, wheels, like the points of the compass, are in drift.

MonteGss
03-14-2008, 04:53 PM
Cool! I didn't realize that there were that many variations present.
Thanks Matt! :)

Hannah
03-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Hey Billy, no worries about putting it in the right place ... we have a bunch of staff here to move stuff and edit stuff and do all kinds of stuff (I'm pretty much saying exactly what Matt said up there).

Anyways, I edited the thread title a little.:D

ATG
03-14-2008, 07:46 PM
He described it when Eddie first started using it to carve the key.

MonteGss
03-15-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks for that. Maybe we didn't see it the first time it had been posted by Matt. I like reading it again though. :) :thumbsup:

Wuducynn
03-15-2008, 08:41 AM
Jeeze, I didn't see Matt had posted it already....*deleted*

Matt
03-15-2008, 10:03 AM
:cool:

BillyxRansom
03-15-2008, 12:05 PM
oh wow... so, anywhere from just under a mile, to a little under 2 miles. wow this world is hard to keep up with.

Randall Flagg
03-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Ah, good suggestion.

From the Robin Furth's Concordance:

In the Waste Lands, Blaine tells us that a distance of 8000 wheels is roughly the equivalent of 7000 mile. In that case there are about 1.143 wheels to a mile. However, in Wizard and Glass, tricky Blaine tells us that 900 mph is the same as 530 wheels per hour. In this instance, one wheel is equal to 1.7 miles. In The Dark Tower, we are told that 120 wheels is roughly equivalent to 100 miles, hence a wheel equals .83 of a mile, but slightly later we are told that twelve wheels is equal to nine or ten miles, hence a wheel is approximately .75 of a mile. Obviously, wheels, like the points of the compass, are in drift.

FYI,
Robin Furth screwed up the first equation. It should be 7,000 miles/8,000 Wheels to show how many miles per Wheel=.875 Miles per wheel.

Storyslinger
03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
He described it when Eddie first started using it to carve the key.

If you could quote it, that would be great. :D

The Half Boy
03-28-2008, 05:09 AM
Hey guys.

I'm new to the forum, but I was hoping someone could help me.

In book 7, I remember Roland having a pocketwatch, and am trying to find a description of it, but don't have access to my books.

I was wondering if any of you knew of a quotation in which a description of this is given.

Thanks Muchly,

The Half Boy

Letti
03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
I cannot give you a description but here is a pic of it. I guess it won't be too much help but still:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/dt72.jpg

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Within, resting on dark blue velvet (which diey might or might not have known was the color of the Royal Court of Gilead), was a watch within a coiled chain. Engraved upon its gold cover were three objects: a key, a rose, and—between and slightly above them—a tower with tiny windows marching around its circumference in an ascending spiral.

Carved on the inside of the lid was this:
IN THIS HAZE OF GREEN AND GOLD
To the Hand of ROLAND DESCHAIN
From Those of
MOSES ISAAC CARVER
MARIAN ODETTA CARVER
NANCY REBECCA DEEPNEAU
With Our Gratitude
White Over Red,Thus GOD Wills Ever

This watch is a Patek Philippe, Roland. It cost nineteen thousand dollars, and the makers guarantee a full refund of the price if it's ever fast or slow. It needs no winding, for it runs on a battery— not made by North Central Positronics or any subsidiary thereof, I can assure you—that will last a hundred years.

alinda
03-28-2008, 01:38 PM
1/2 boy, welcome to the site...arent these folk the best? :thumbsup:

mia/susannah
03-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Welcome half Boy, I just found the page where Roland was given the watch but I see that Mr. Rabbit Trick already answered. Welcome to the Dark Tower

The Half Boy
03-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the help, and for the welcome. :) It's fantastic! I think it's fair to say I'm a bit of a Tower Junkie, to the point where my fiancee has now accepted that I love it in equal amounts to how much I love her! To the point where it's even infiltrating the wedding. I have cufflinks with the sign of the White, and I'm trying to bring in other things, as well! :D

HanzouNorak
03-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Note to everybody, this was a thread i created that got merged into this one for some odd reason.

this is to discuss the weapons in the Dark Tower, mainly Sneetches and Ray Guns, this includes robots.

lets start off with concepts;
The Ray Guns? Lasers? Phasers? Plasma? Or other raw energy?

Sneetches? How the hell do they fly? What causes such a fearsome explosion? Nuclear? Matter/Antimatter? Conventional Explosives?

Fire-swords? Really Fire? Lasers? Plasma? Super Heated Metal? Other?

Robots? Powered by? Made of? <--(in the case of the wolves masks) Other uses (battle, artillery, ect.)?

Mark
03-30-2008, 07:50 AM
I think the sneetches were made to find a heat source and go blow up like a heat seeker does.

I'm pretty sure the robots run off batteries.

HanzouNorak
03-30-2008, 08:19 AM
batteries yes, but what kind? i doubt their running of your basic alkaline source.

daveg344
03-30-2008, 10:30 AM
IIRC I believe the robots ran off nuclear power?

The fire swords and laser I imagine were based off Star Wars' lightsabres and blasters.

wildfire1290
04-30-2008, 08:35 PM
Now I may have missed this completely, but when did Roland and Susannah make sweet sweet love thus producing Mordrid?

Daghain
04-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey wildfire, there's a whole bunch of threads on the individual books here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=20). Feel free to join in!

MonteGss
05-01-2008, 02:03 AM
:unsure:
Perhaps you may want to read the books first though. Threads in The Baronies can contain spoilers.

Letti
05-01-2008, 02:32 AM
Have you read all the books? If you have we will answer with pleasure but we wouldn't like to give you spoilers. :)
Anyway this thread will be moved to Gilead soon.

pathoftheturtle
05-01-2008, 03:29 AM
Well, then maybe it should be re-named "Question about the later books"? http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/POTT2007/Oo.jpg He was brought up lots before DT7.

Bev Vincent
05-01-2008, 05:36 AM
It was sex by proxy. Roland screwed the oracle in book 1 and Susannah held off the doorway demon with sex in book 3. The oracle and the demon were the same, and it inverted genders and transferred Roland's seed to Susannah/Mia.

Storyslinger
05-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Re-located.

Wuducynn
05-01-2008, 05:43 AM
Well, then maybe it should be re-named "Question about the later books"? http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/POTT2007/Oo.jpg He was brought up lots before DT7.

Yeah, good point. This covers incidents over several books and even the first one, even though we don't know it at the time.

It was sex by proxy. Roland screwed the oracle in book 1 and Susannah held off the doorway demon with sex in book 3. The oracle and the demon were the same, and it inverted genders and transferred Roland's seed to Susannah/Mia.

Thanks Bev that was nice and concise for a rather complex happening.

wildfire1290
05-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the help, and for the welcome. :) It's fantastic! I think it's fair to say I'm a bit of a Tower Junkie, to the point where my fiancee has now accepted that I love it in equal amounts to how much I love her! To the point where it's even infiltrating the wedding. I have cufflinks with the sign of the White, and I'm trying to bring in other things, as well! :D
Thats pretty freaking awesome. What other ideas do you have for the wedding? You didn't happen to take any pictures of the cuff links did you?

skoldpadda
05-26-2008, 07:12 AM
I've heard that Stephen King was friends with Warren Zevon. Does anyone know if there's a connection or influence between King's gunslinger and the Zevon song, "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner"?

jayson
05-26-2008, 07:14 AM
i like to think there's one when i listen to WZ's song, but i've never heard of an actual connection. great song though.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
05-26-2008, 07:28 AM
No connection, but that was the last song he ever performed in front of an audience.

Bev Vincent
05-26-2008, 08:16 AM
I believe that King's friendship with Zevon started after both Roland's were created.

sarah
05-26-2008, 04:07 PM
hmm good to know that the friendship started after. It helps put it into perspective.

wildfire1290
05-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Why there was a giant statue of him in the train station and an ice sculpture of him in Blaine's car?

Letti
05-30-2008, 12:14 AM
I don't think it was of him it was a statue of a gunslinger.
I might be wrong.

wildfire1290
05-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Didn't he say something along the lines of I'll tell you about it later or something though?

Letti
05-30-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't remember anything like that let's see how the others think..

wildfire1290
05-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Oh goodie...now we wait. :nana:

ManOfWesternesse
05-30-2008, 01:21 AM
I'm pretty sure the statue on the station was a 'generic' Gunslinger.

The Ice-sculpture in the carriage WAS Roland, but was made specifically by Blaine for the occasion.(Including the detail of the missing fingers etc...). I don't think there's any further explaination needed for that one?

On the "Didn't he say something along the lines of I'll tell you about it later or something though?" question - I don't recall it, sorry.

Mark
05-30-2008, 03:54 AM
I seem to recall Eddie being mistaken at first by the gold gunslinger statue in lud thinking it's Roland but it wasn't. The ice sculpture, as MoW said, was for the occassion.

wildfire1290
05-31-2008, 05:10 PM
alright. I'll take you guys word for it. Let me know if you guys reread the third book and see anything about him telling them that the statue story would be for another time or something, 'cause it seems familiar for me for some reason. I don't know, I think I may just as well be crazy.

The Lady of Shadows
06-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Why there was a giant statue of him in the train station and an ice sculpture of him in Blaine's car?

the statue was actually on the peak of the roof of blaine's cradle. the guardians of the beam were going around the roof in pairs (most likely, the same pairs as they were in on the paths of the beam, i.e. bear and turtle), and on each corner of the roof was something susannah could only describe as a dragon (probably a gargoyle).

roland wasn't with eddie and susannah when they first came to blaine's cradle. he was still pursuing the kidnapped jake. when eddie and susannah first see the statue, susannah thinks it's roland and then thinks "no, it's not him but in another way, it is. That man was a gunslinger, and the resemblance between him, who's probably been dead a thousand years or more, and Roland is all the truth of ka-tet you'll ever need to know."

LadyHitchhiker
06-01-2008, 03:20 PM
There were statues because this all was a dream....

The Lady of Shadows
06-01-2008, 03:43 PM
. . . as the result of too much beer. :nana:

LadyHitchhiker
06-01-2008, 03:45 PM
too much Gilead Grog... ;)

The Lady of Shadows
06-01-2008, 03:59 PM
do they have grog in gilead? or is it mead?? :)

LadyHitchhiker
06-01-2008, 04:01 PM
There's Mead in Maejis..

They have drinking competitions annually.

LadyHitchhiker
06-01-2008, 04:02 PM
And Tequila in Tull.. well until it was destroyed...

The Lady of Shadows
06-01-2008, 04:41 PM
yet another reason not to vote for tull. :lol:

Ves'Ka Gan
06-03-2008, 01:07 PM
I just finished my re-read of book 3. As the quotefrom the book already explained, it was "just" a gunslinger (if there is such a thing...) and Blaine made the ice scuplture for them.

I don't recall him evr saying he would explain anything, I just read this part about 3 days ago, so I *think* I would remember...but I've been surprised before.

metalmachine
06-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Hello all.

Im just starting to read the Dark Tower series. Its something I have planned on reading for a while and now finally starting. I have read through the second book before but I am just starting to reread it now.

But there is something I noticed that I need to get cleared up. I read the revised version of The gunslinger and at the end of the book; from what I understand, is that the man in black tells Roland that he is Walter. Then he also reveals that he was marten. At this point, I am led to believe that they are the same person: The man in black/Walter/Marten

I ask this because in the argument of The Drawing of the Three, King says that Walter was an ally of Marten and that Marten was a a greater sorcerer than Walter. This makes it sound as if they are 2 separate people.

Without giving away and spoilers...which is correct?

Thanks all!!

sarah
06-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Hello Metalmachine and welcome to the site. Without spoiling you too much I will tell you that that answer will be answered in better detail later in the series.

Be sure to stay out of all threads marked SPOILER as to not mess up this wonderful series for you.

Happy reading!

~maerlyn

The Lady of Shadows
06-03-2008, 09:39 PM
greetings and welcome to the site.

have patience and keep reading. all will be revealed in the fullness of time (and many, many, many, many pages! :lol:)

seriously, if we told we'd ruin it for you. but you will get your answer. just keep reading. and take maerlyn's advice - stay out of spoiler threads.

happy reading! :)

{oh gan, to be where you are. reading it all for the first time. :excited:}

Ricky
06-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I just finished reading The Drawing of The Three--OH MY GOD. It was excellent! The last couple pages were mildly confusing, so I'm going to post my thoughts about it. Feel free to clarify at any point. :)

Ok, so what I got out of it was that Roland had to use Mort in the subway in order to get Odetta and Detta to see/recognize each other. This made them form into one personality: Susannah. I am guessing that the "Three" were Eddie, Mort, and Susannah?

The one thing I don't understand is why is Odetta Susannah now? She just liked the name? :lol:

razz
06-04-2008, 04:09 PM
nope. susannah is the comination of the minds of Detta and Odetta. when Detta look through the doorway of Jack mort, she saw through
Mort's eyes, while Mort was looking at the door. thus, she saw herself, and in the struggle that ensued between the two personalities, the minds became one, forming Susannah. Am i wrong in saying this?

Ricky
06-04-2008, 04:11 PM
susannah is the comination of the minds of Detta and Odetta. the minds became one, forming Susannah. Am i wrong in saying this?

That's what I said the first time. :lol:

razz
06-04-2008, 04:12 PM
so where ARE the ruins?

Ricky
06-04-2008, 04:13 PM
That's the thing, there ARE NONE!!!!

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 04:20 PM
okay, first of all the powers that be are going to merge this thread and move it because of the title. so, either change the title so that you don't get moved and don't get spoilers or prepare for a merge.

second. yes, susannah was the third. eddie was the first. odetta was the second, susannah was the third. mort was just a wanker.

third. they are in the ruins you twits. :)

Ricky
06-04-2008, 04:26 PM
okay, first of all the powers that be are going to merge this thread and move it because of the title. so, either change the title so that you don't get moved and don't get spoilers or prepare for a merge.

second. yes, susannah was the third. eddie was the first. odetta was the second, susannah was the third. mort was just a wanker.

I don't mind it getting moved, I just didn't want to post it in the DT related areas so I wasn't spoiled for the rest of the series. Feel free to move it away Matt!

In regard to the ruins, what are YOU talking about turtle? :lol:

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 04:27 PM

I don't mind it getting moved, I just didn't want to post it in the DT related areas so I wasn't spoiled for the rest of the series.

In regard to the ruins, what are YOU talking about turtle? :lol:

sweetie, it's going to end up in a dt related thread, in a dt related section. that's what i was doing a very bad job of saying.

as for the ruins - ummm. what book did you read?

Ricky
06-04-2008, 04:31 PM
sweetie, it's going to end up in a dt related thread, in a dt related section. that's what i was doing a very bad job of saying.

Did you seriously just call me sweetie?:scared:

I don't care about the bold part, I just needed to get my thoughts straightened. After that, I won't need to look at it again.

Ruins--I read The Ruins. If you're referring to that, you're wrong, there were none.

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 04:40 PM

Did you seriously just call me sweetie?:scared:

I don't care about the bold part, I just needed to get my thoughts straightened. After that, I won't need to look at it again.

Ruins--I read The Ruins. If you're referring to that, you're wrong, there were none.

i call everyone sweetie at some point in the relationship so don't let it get to you, sweetie. besides you're like what, my goddaughter's age? please. {*ricky thinks - omg, did she just say relationship???????? :panic:} :lol:

anyway. yes. i'm referring to the ruins. where do you think they ended up. the whole entire top of the freaking hill ruins. although, maybe it depends on your definition of ruins.

Ricky
06-04-2008, 04:44 PM
i call everyone sweetie at some point in the relationship so don't let it get to you, sweetie. besides you're like what, my goddaughter's age? please. {*ricky thinks - omg, did she just say relationship???????? :panic:} :lol:

anyway. yes. i'm referring to the ruins. where do you think they ended up. the whole entire top of the freaking hill ruins. although, maybe it depends on your definition of ruins.

Oh, okay. I thought by saying "sweetie" that you were defining my inferiority compared to you. :doh:

About the ruins, I was expecting to see some Mayan temple crumbling with some strange writings and sacrifice, etc. Sorry, I get really defensive about that novel because of the (lack of) ruins. There was just a hole in the ground and killer vines :lol:

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 04:59 PM

Oh, okay. I thought by saying "sweetie" that you were defining my inferiority compared to you. :doh:

About the ruins, I was expecting to see some Mayan temple crumbling with some strange writings and sacrifice, etc. Sorry, I get really defensive about that novel because of the (lack of) ruins. There was just a hole in the ground and killer vines :lol:

oh. no. there's definitely no superiority here. just a term of endearment, a kind of glitch. wish i could have seen the look on your face though. :shoot:
:lol:

okay, i see what you're saying. i got the feeling that they weren't even in the right place. that somehow they ended up there simply because what's her face stepped on the damn flowers. did the book scare you at all? or were you so focused on the fact that there were no ruins that weren't able to get past it?

Ricky
06-04-2008, 05:07 PM
oh. no. there's definitely no superiority here. just a term of endearment, a kind of glitch. wish i could have seen the look on your face though. :shoot:

okay, i see what you're saying. i got the feeling that they weren't even in the right place. that somehow they ended up there simply because what's her face stepped on the damn flowers. did the book scare you at all? or were you so focused on the fact that there were no ruins that weren't able to get past it?

I wish you could have seen my face too. I was thinking, "did you just say that?" :rofl: I'm happy we got that sorted out now. :)

Me too! I didn't think that they were in the right place either! I kept thinking that it was just a "pit stop". When I finished the book, I was like, "you got to be kidding me!". I wasn't scared by the book. Partly because of the lack of character development, I didn't really care when they were picked off by the vines. If the characters were more 3-Dimensional, I think it would have added some fear.

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 05:11 PM

I wish you could have seen my face too. I was thinking, "did you just say that?" :rofl: I'm happy we got that sorted out now. :)

Me too! I didn't think that they were in the right place either! I kept thinking that it was just a "pit stop". When I finished the book, I was like, "you got to be kidding me!". I wasn't scared by the book. Partly because of the lack of character development, I didn't really care when they were picked off by the vines. If the characters were more 3-Dimensional, I think it would have added some fear.

you know, we are so off topic here. pretty soon we are going to get smacked down. i'm creating a thread for the ruins now. meet me there. :)

Ricky
06-04-2008, 05:13 PM
you know, we are so off topic here. pretty soon we are going to get smacked down. i'm creating a thread for the ruins now. meet me there. :)

You're right. :lol: See you in the ruins thread!

Letti
06-05-2008, 10:59 PM

I don't think that Susannah is the third.
The third
comes in the very next book and it's Jake.

BillyxRansom
06-07-2008, 06:11 AM
I looked on google, and it only gave a very vague description, including another term I've never heard of.

Darkthoughts
06-07-2008, 06:22 AM
Basically a scarecrow type thing which is burnt on the top of a bonfire.

Derives from an English tradition where effigys of Guy Fawkes were burnt on bonfires on the 5th November every year, this is still a tradition here in the UK, called Bonfire Night. Its more about fireworks displays these days than poor old Guy Fawkes, most people don't bother with the bonfire or the guy.

alinda
06-07-2008, 06:25 AM
beat me too it , thanks Lisa , I would personally prefer the bonfire/ stuffy guy traditions to pryrotechnics.*meh*

BillyxRansom
06-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Very helpful, thanks so much guys. While reading DT4 (still on the fucker, ugh!) I was like WAIT WHAT DID THOSE GUYS DO TO DESERVE THAT!?!? Hahahahaha boy do I feel ridiculous.

Darkthoughts
06-07-2008, 06:33 AM
It used to be really good fun when I was younger. If you made your own guy it was also traditional to wheel it round to neighbouring houses in a wheelbarrow or whatever, asking for "A penny for the guy!" The money you collected would be spent on fireworks or bonfire night food.

My primary school used to have a huge bonfire, loads of people came. We'd have a guy on top and we wrap potatoes in foil and push them into the bottom of the bonfire to cook. Then have the fireworks. The fireworks are also because of Guy Fawkes and represent the dynamite with which he was going to blow up the Houses of Parliment.

I didn't think much of the political nature of it when I was younger, but I'm happy not to do the guy part anymore as I'm personally more in support of anarchists like Guy Fawkes than British government - and bonfire night mocks him in rather a horrible way.

Brice
06-07-2008, 06:38 AM
It used to be really good fun when I was younger. If you made your own guy it was also traditional to wheel it round to neighbouring houses in a wheelbarrow or whatever, asking for "A penny for the guy!" The money you collected would be spent on fireworks or bonfire night food.

My primary school used to have a huge bonfire, loads of people came. We'd have a guy on top and we wrap potatoes in foil and push them into the bottom of the bonfire to cook. Then have the fireworks. The fireworks are also because of Guy Fawkes and represent the dynamite with which he was going to blow up the Houses of Parliment.

I didn't think much of the political nature of it when I was younger, but I'm happy not to do the guy part anymore as I'm personally more in support of anarchists like Guy Fawkes than British government - and bonfire night mocks him in rather a horrible way.

You could burn effigies of the government. :evil:

Darkthoughts
06-07-2008, 06:42 AM
A much more noble pursuit! :D

Brice
06-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Indeed! ;)

alinda
06-07-2008, 07:46 AM

You could burn effigies of the government. :evil:

:excited: YEA!!!! Lets do it!!:excited:

Brainslinger
06-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Yeah I automatically thought of Guy Fawkes when I read about the stuffy guys (I'm English too.)

It's interesting how they take a familiar concept and do something else with it in Mid-World though. (I.e. the stuffys being in place of human sacrifices etc, whilst our guys representing Guy Fawkes.) Ours usually have padded heads of some description too (not sure what they are, pillows maybe) rather than root vegetables, although they might have used those in the past. Oh and they don't have painted red hands either (although there is something rather iconic about the stuffy guy version!)

As for the historical situation, a lot of it was the whole protestant vs Catholic thing if I remember correctly, Guy Fawkes being a 'catholic terrorist' (he wasn't strictly an anarchist, I don't think although his action was anarchic, in the loose sense of the word) attempting to blow up parliament (no doubt there was probably more to it than that.) The catholics were rather heavily persecuted and often outright murdered, which is part of the reason. Ironically both catholicism and protestantism is against murder, which just shows the ridiculousness of that kind of conflict.

Theres no getting round it, what Fawkes attempted to do (and he was just one activist for an entire body to be fair) was attempted mass murder though. The way they executed him was needlessly cruel though. (Hung, drawn and quartered.)

It's been a long time since I went to a bonfire gathering. Last one with an actual bonfire was some years back. I remember the kids with guys (I accidentally actually wrote 'stuffy guys' then ) outside the supermarket; "Penny for the guy!"

Have a nice view of the fireworks displays every year where I live. (I live on a hill and have a good view across part of London, including Crystal Palace. When I was a kid my mum used to sometimes make hot dogs and we'd watch) Last fireworkd display I actually visited was 2-3 years ago at Blackheath. That's another place with a dark history (a graveyard for plague victims. A big green field now!)

wildfire1290
06-09-2008, 12:07 AM
Oh well, turns out i'm just crazy. It's cool, I can totally live with that.

Jean
06-09-2008, 12:18 AM
that's all right

this thread is very soon going to be merged with Quick Questions Regarding the Dark Tower (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1229)

Shadow4437
06-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey,I had a pretty interesting theory.Arthur Eld,being both in our world "Keystone",and Roland's,perhaps means that he is of the Manni.Now Roland's world,and ours are nearly right next to each other,touching at one point.This point brings in Walk-In's,and consists of New York,and the states near it and Maine.If Arthur Eld had predated the Great-Old ones,that means our world has been around for longer.Now,onto Roland.Roland is possibly in the 19th cycle,a constant repetition if him doing the same things.Now on MY understanding,once sai Stephen King is old enough,a beam will snap.In constant repetitions,this means that indeed,if the writer is destroyed,a beam falls.The tower will thus weakens.Now when Roland obtains the Horn at the end of DT 7,this means that perhaps he had a different thought in Jericho hill.Once the writer dies,the Dark tower shall weaken.This means that constant repetitions will begin to change.Roland at ONE point will remember that he has either A:Been at the dark tower or B:Seen the mistakes he has made,and will correct those.Eventually however,the tower may fall.Near its falling point,it may be weak and reveal to him the past of EACH cycle.I believe Jake,Eddie,and Odetta,are not from the Keystone world.There are many differences in their worlds,although Jake perhaps might be.This means indeed,Jake/Eddie/Odetta cannot die,as time will reverse.In Rolands world if they die,perhaps the repetition of a cycle would revive them as the Dark Tower weakens,bringing them to..A copy of themselves?
Intro about self:Hey,thought i'd just say hello,and that i'm possibly one of the youngest persons on the forums,and possibly one of the youngest to read a Stephen King books,or several.I've read Cell,Tommy knockers,The full DT series,and Hearts in Atlantis.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-20-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi. Welcome.

That's a lot of theory for just one post! I think you'll find if you snoop around the board that there are several threads that discuss each of your points (and many more) in depth--I'd love to see you expand on some of them there.

As for this post, I guess I can't really get into debating your points with you without writing a short novel, but you do have some interesting ideas.

LadyHitchhiker
06-29-2008, 05:07 AM
The mind boggles.. I like that this person has some new fresh ideas...

mica
07-13-2008, 07:10 AM
hey everygunslingers here~~
i am a non-english-reader, but finished reading DTs now.
just few questions, hope not be too stupid ><

1,DT7, why the 3 SK in the castle of Red King called the king as " Los' "? i just know it's the shortterm of Los Angeles..sigh..

2,hume, is actually human, right? but they change names when start servering RK? in DT7, Sk explained what are low-man, what are can-toi, but never talked directly about hume?

3,at first, the red birth-mark was on left foot of Mordred, but later changed to RIGHT foot!! do you guys saw this fault?

Jean
07-13-2008, 07:20 AM
mica! is that you my Chinese friend??? please post in our Itroduce Yourself (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=67) thread! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

mica
07-13-2008, 07:47 AM
oh my... never guess there's someone remember me!!!

i forgot my password and had to re-registe..ha!

Letti
07-14-2008, 10:51 AM

1,DT7, why the 3 SK in the castle of Red King called the king as " Los' "? i just know it's the shortterm of Los Angeles..sigh..

2,hume, is actually human, right? but they change names when start servering RK? in DT7, Sk explained what are low-man, what are can-toi, but never talked directly about hume?

3,at first, the red birth-mark was on left foot of Mordred, but later changed to RIGHT foot!! do you guys saw this fault?

1. That's the other name of him. I can't tell you more about it. I hope the others will be able to give you more information. (But I don't think there is any connection to Los Angeles.) ;)

2. yes, hume is the short for of human
Yeah, that's what they do. They change their names forget their past and serve the King.
I can only hope I am right. Feel free to correct me, all of you.

3. Really?!?! I didn't catch it! But I am not good at noticing mistakes.
Let's see if others have noticed it or not.

And don't hesitate to ask. :rose:

John_and_Yoko
07-14-2008, 11:01 AM
I think "Los'" is short for "Lord of Spiders," but I'm not sure where I picked that up....

"Hume" does mean "human."

And I did not pick up on that.... :blush:

Letti
07-14-2008, 11:08 AM
I think "Los'" is short for "Lord of Spiders," but I'm not sure where I picked that up....

Oh great! I haven't known it. Thank you for the information.

Bev Vincent
07-14-2008, 11:10 AM

You could see it as a fault. Or you could say that Mordred is a shape-shifter, so each time he changes from one form to the other there may be some small alterations in his new form. Like a genetic mutation!

Letti
07-14-2008, 11:11 AM
I prefer the second option.

cozener
07-14-2008, 11:14 AM
For my part, I think I like it better on the left...

The Lady of Shadows
07-14-2008, 06:52 PM

why is that? do you think the left has some ritual significance? like in ancient time when left-handers were presumed to be witches? or is there some other reason. i find this thought of yours fascinating so please let me in on your process. :)

mia/susannah
07-14-2008, 06:59 PM

Welcome to the site, Mica
i am not sure as to why they called the King Los, maybe as someone said, Lord of Spiders.
Hume is human
I did not notice the birthmark changed feet myself.

cozener
07-16-2008, 12:19 PM

why is that? do you think the left has some ritual significance? like in ancient time when left-handers were presumed to be witches? Actually, yeah. This is exactly what I had in mind. Get out of my head woman!

The Lady of Shadows
07-16-2008, 04:08 PM

why is that? do you think the left has some ritual significance? like in ancient time when left-handers were presumed to be witches? Actually, yeah. This is exactly what I had in mind. Get out of my head woman!

:evil:

mica
07-20-2008, 10:17 AM
haha, you guys are really imaginative!

Dan-tete COULD be shape-changeable! but i personally prefer that was a mistake. maybe my mistake. thanks for your reply, i checked again.
my edition is 1st trade edition, Scribner. almost all the other description related was LEFT, just for example:
Page 62, "mark on the babe's left heel"
Page 181 "(WAlter) taking his valuable left foot"
Page 549 "the boy's marked left foot rested on the horse's flank."

Actually, the RIGHT foot occured only ONCE-------
Page 66 "stained heel of its right foot",
that's why i firstly believed that stain was the blood-mark. but now, I thought that should be the REAL BLOOD stain on right foot, taken from the womb of Mia. Am i right this time??
so, please don't fight on left or right ritual significance. :)

and thanks for suggesting "Lord of Spider"!! clever!!!!
i remember somewhere online, once i read that LOS should be showed up in other books, Insomnia,or The Heart of Atlantic, but i haven't read these in original copy, so don't know.

so to speak, another question aroused------
why the dan-tete is spider??? not snake, not tiger, etc.?
is there any clue for that the baby-CK&Roland have to be a spider??

bangoskank1
07-20-2008, 10:26 AM
riddle me this batman...Soon after mating with the male and weaker of the species...the black widow (hence the Crimson) kills and eats him...But...you say...the crimson king is male...as this may (or may not) be true..the females always seem to want Roland dead...lest we forget how many legs the spider does have...

alinda
07-20-2008, 10:26 AM
Lots of spiders in SK's stories. I think he may be secretly afraid of spiders myself....what about it bangoskank1? :ninja:

bangoskank1
07-20-2008, 10:29 AM
spiders scare the hell out of me....I think maybe more than reaching for the lightswitch in the dark.

alinda
07-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Ah HA! I knew it!!

mica
07-20-2008, 10:43 AM
my guess is...
spider has many legs, so the ka-tet could destory him one by one..:)

Letti
07-20-2008, 11:17 AM
why the dan-tete is spider??? not snake, not tiger, etc.?
is there any clue for that the baby-CK&Roland have to be a spider??

For me it was quite natural. His dad and master was the Lord of Spiders so it's natural Mordred turned out a spider.
Or I misunderstand the question.

alinda
07-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Thats right Letti. I think it is only natural for Dan-Tet to be a spider.
I do wonder tho' how many stories feature spinders in them ...my
guess is plenty of them.

ZeroPegasus
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I haven't read the Gunslinger in maybe 2 years, would you folks say I should go back and read that book again before starting on this one? Or should I just go ahead and start on this.

razz
07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
you should read it again, just to capture the spirit of the book before you continue on.

Brice
07-21-2008, 06:14 PM
I agree you should read it again if it's been that long since you've read it.

The Lady of Shadows
07-21-2008, 08:02 PM
definitely read it again. without question. then read them all straight through. you're very lucky that you can do it that way. have fun.

Erin
07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Yep! Read it again!

Re-discover Roland. :D

Mad Man
07-23-2008, 10:37 AM
If you remember it then you should pass it. Saves some time for the next book in my opinion.

ZeroPegasus
07-24-2008, 12:40 AM
I did fail to mention details *cough* sorry about that :doh:

I read the first book two years ago BUT I re-read it again a year ago and stopped around where the two get past the Slow Mutants. Now what I should have asked was should I just start over from the very beginning or just continue from there. I know the basics of what happened before the mutants, but I still do have pretty bad memory...:ninja:

Brice
07-24-2008, 06:04 AM
Start at the beginning. :)

JQ The Gunslinger
07-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Agreed, not that big of a book anyway.

Depren
07-27-2008, 07:01 PM
So as I wrote in my intro I'm 16, so unlike a few people who have read this book and watch it evolve over two decades, I picked it up and read this series in less than 6 months, so I havent't really lived with these characters as long some and the characters weren't as close to me, but I did feel close all the same. I thought the books hit somewhat of a drop off in the last three books, I just sort of felt there were somewhat rushed, and didn't like the way some of the main characters just died in not really a climatic way, such as Walter. That sounded a lot like a rant but don't want it to because this is the best series I have ever read. Just because I feel like it is somewhat appropriate to say this, I believe the ending was *alright* but in the end not what I sort of wanted, but hey I do like closed tight knit endings... I got a few just plain questions that kind of seem stupid and like I would have of gotten them if I read the book, but just really want to understand the ending. I understand the ending about the horn where he was supposed? to blow it at the dark tower but instead left it behind with his friends corpse. Was the horn just a small detail changed in his quest that may lead him to a different ending or is he doomed to do the same thing over and over again? yea i know stupid. There probably is more just that's all that's come to me now, but there probably is more I'm just not remembering now, tired and watching tv. Thanks for reading. :D

P.S. I do realize the typo in the title and it makes me look like a 16 year old idiot rofl.

Unfound One
07-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Hey Depren, great to have you here, and good questions...
There's actually a bunch of different threads about it that you can read through to get some ideas - feel free to contribute your own!

Here's one about how he got the horn:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2477

Here's one about the ending in general:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=376

And here's one about the ending and Roland's part in the looping process:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=612

Enjoy!

Depren
07-28-2008, 07:08 AM
thanks

sarah
07-28-2008, 10:52 AM
Hi Depren and welcome to the site!

I'm going to merge this thread tomorrow with This Thread. (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1229&page=3)

Happy Posting. :D

Erin
08-03-2008, 11:03 AM
The question has been answered, i'm moving this to the "Quick Questions Regarding The Dark Tower" thread. :D

razz
08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
what do you think the kammen are, really? the only thing i think that seems plausible is the sound of the worlds strainign together at thinnies and rips in space. like in the area between todash.

The Lady of Shadows
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
i never really thought of this before. i like the idea that it's the sound of the worlds clashing together. but not in a bad way - more like they're clanging together or rubbing together or. . . i don't know what i'm trying to say so i'll shut up now and come back later.

nice thread razz!

razz
08-05-2008, 02:31 PM
kind of liek plate tectonics

Ves'Ka Gan
08-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I voted that it was the voice of the todash. Not because I ever thought that while reading, but upon seeing the theory that todash could be alive, I decided it must be.

razz
08-05-2008, 04:18 PM
it just came to me while i was making the poll. could todash be alive? i guess because i was thinking of the Vashta Nerada

Ves'Ka Gan
08-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Funny, I wasn't thinking of the Vashta Nerada, but instead the Time Vortex & the Heart of the TARDIS...because we do end up finding out those things are alive.

razz
08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
everything is alive, man! the trees, thr roicks, the sky. you just gotta listen, man. duuuuuuude!
*listens to grateful dead*
sorry. back on topic then

alinda
08-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Actually this is exactly the truth! :D

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-06-2008, 01:36 PM
WHO IS BANGO SKANK????

this is driving me nuts.

Erin
08-06-2008, 01:49 PM
I think he's a character Peter Straub created in one of his books.

But in the Dark Tower, although he never makes a physical appearance, he leaves graffiti all over the place, in unlikely areas like in the tunnels beneath the Dixie Pigg and in various alternate versions of NYC.....so Bango Skank gets around.

I personally love it when i see Bango Skank written places around where I live. It makes me smile knowing there are other Dark Tower fans around. :D

Bev Vincent
08-06-2008, 04:15 PM
He's no more a character in Straub's story "The Buffalo Hunter" than he is in the Dark Tower books. We know him only by the scribbles he left in his wake.

Erin
08-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Ah neat, I didn't know that. I was under the impression he was an actual character in it, having not read the story.

How cool though. I like the fact that Bango Skank is such an enigma.

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-06-2008, 04:34 PM
He's no more a character in Straub's story "The Buffalo Hunter" than he is in the Dark Tower books. We know him only by the scribbles he left in his wake.

thankee-sai. i kept thinking I was going crazy...kinda like Jake and Roland? "I read about him in detail! no you didn't, just his graffitti! In Detail! He doesn't Exist! He Does! ect..."

consider me clarified

Letti
08-07-2008, 12:20 AM
What an interesting question. I have never thought about it... The "sound of clashing worlds" option sounds amazing and the way I see it should be right but how the blue hell could clashing worlds give such a sweet and evil sound?
The kammen seems to be alive so much. Maybe the worlds themselves are alive and they have some kind of spirit... I need some time to think about it.

Brice
08-07-2008, 01:39 AM
I think maybe the kammen is quite literally the voice of Gan.

Brice
08-07-2008, 01:41 AM
...or perhaps the birth of new worlds???

Jean
08-07-2008, 01:49 AM
it's really a very good question (my decision to adapt razz is getting firmer and firmer...), and I think (the thought is underbaked, though, say sorry in advance) that those chimes are in a way related to that old tired "does a falling tree..." problem. I think the phenomenon of the kammen appears only when a human being, or any other being endowed with soul, goes todash, so those bells ring only for him; it would be more or less apparent that they, then, metaphorically express both man's longing to go through worlds, and the repulsiveness of the todash darkness (the sweetness of the bells that grows unbearable too soon), but there is much more to it, which might take a lot of further thinking. I mean, if it is a sound, it is a sound your soul makes when it experiences todash, not a sound inherent to todash itself.

alinda
08-07-2008, 04:30 AM
lovely idea Jean.

Of course I'd add a choice D.) all of the above

Letti
08-07-2008, 04:49 AM
...or perhaps the birth of new worlds???

Oh, I love this idea? But why would stepping through a door create a new world? Or do you mean worlds are dying and growing all the time?

This one is even more interesting.
But why would Gan's voice be so deadly disturbing? I can't imagine Gan's voice like that.

Brainslinger
08-07-2008, 05:22 AM
This is probably going to sound silly, but on reading the books, I got the impression the kammen were like an inter-dimensional dialing tone. I.e. you know how making a phone call will send out dialing tones which connect to a specific other phone depending on what tones are made?

I thought this mainly as they always happened just as people were going todash, just as they were coming and going between worlds.

When the box containing black 13 was opened in front of the door, those chimes were heard again, followed by the door opening in a specific time and place.

This made sense considering the similarity between the sound of the kammen and the warbling of the thinny. I.e. the thinny is in a state of chaos, so the sounds are just warbling all over the place, hence people getting ripped to pieces when they enter it. I.e. part of their body is in one where and when, another part somewhere else, then as the thinny fluctuates, affectively changing dimensional addresses for a fraction of a second, bits are torn off. Like sticking your hand in a mincer, if that makes sense.

I have my doubts that was King's intention though, and I'm probably over-thinking it.

Letti
08-07-2008, 05:59 AM
I don't know the word "over-thinking", Brainslinger. ;) *hug*

jayson
08-07-2008, 06:21 AM

But why would Gan's voice be so deadly disturbing? I can't imagine Gan's voice like that.

Perhaps because something that mind-blowing is beyond human conception and would sound both beautiful and terrible at the same time. It's actually a fairly common concept in mythology that the godhead is both beautiful and terrible to behold all at once. I like the idea Brice. :)

Brainslinger
08-07-2008, 11:38 AM
I tend to associate Gan with the Tower and therefore order, so I'm not sure why the kammen, which are associated with todash would be his voice.

I might be associating todash to much with the prim, i.e. the prim is chaotic, but todash is empty (apart from the monsters.) Again, the Tower (and Gan) as the maker creates substance, so the idea still applies, the kammen, the voice of the void probably isn't his voice.

Then again if we take into account that all things follow the beam/ka/Gan, in which case maybe he (is Gan a he?) indirectly orchestrated the action of Black 13 sending them todash....

Hmmm. Not convinced, but it's all food for fault.

alinda
08-07-2008, 12:49 PM
*munch munch*

The Lady of Shadows
08-07-2008, 03:09 PM

isn't that what the metatron is for? to serve as the holy scribe because man cannot bear the actual sound of god's voice or sight of holy word? so it would make sense that the sound of gan's voice would be disturbing on a visceral level. and, in some ways, that the manni could handle it better.

keylimecody
08-07-2008, 03:34 PM
hi, i'm new here. JUST VERY EXTREMELY LIKE TWO DAYS AGO finished the final book in The Dark Tower. =D

And I read the Coda, which I now very much rue the fact that I did. I have a few questions pertaining to it.

Okay, first off, I understand Roland got transported back through time to the beginning of Book 1, in the Mohaine Desert. Okay, so this means ALL time has been shifted backwards, for the sake of Roland's salvation? Just how important is he?

And what significance does the Horn of Eld hold? He now has it, is the Tower trying to tell him something?

Thankya. ;D

Daghain
08-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the site, keylimecody (nice screen name, BTW).

There are a ton of threads here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?f=36) that will probably answer all your questions - feel free to jump in!

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-07-2008, 04:06 PM
the first question, imo, is VERY important, as he "saves" all eternity. I think the horn is a sign of changing the future, as when you add a new variable, the outcome of the problem changes. i thought of it like the Butterfly Effect, sort of

keylimecody
08-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah, sorry. I figured I may have put this in the wrong section. And thank you for the compliment.

I get the fact that he's the one destined to save all worlds, but turning back time for him merely to prove a point? So he can be self righteous and not get everyone he affiliates hisself with killed?

I understand what you're saying about the Horn of Eld. Different objects and how they were obtained, can lead to a different way to carry out things.

The fact that he has it shows he ALREADY has done something different.

Thanks for the input! =)

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-07-2008, 09:18 PM
what makes it interesting is how he forgot he actually breached the tower only moments after being put back in the Mohave desert. i can't stop wondering what having the horn might change...

Letti
08-07-2008, 10:18 PM
keylimecody, great to see you here
We have been hooked on the same questions for long so you can read about them (as Deghain has written it) as much as you would like to.

Letti
08-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Right now I don't think that I have any good explanation but I think Gan has no voice.
Voices and sounds are too human-like. For me at least.

The Lady of Shadows
08-07-2008, 10:31 PM
that's interesting letti. do you think god (if you believe in him/her - or let's say a higher power if you prefer that terminology) has a voice?

Jon
08-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Kamen is a series of islands.:P