PDA

View Full Version : John Saul

Roland of Gilead 33
04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
are there any John Saul fans on here? he's one of my favorite authors. & i kinda went on Dark Tower Burnout while reading "The Wolvs of Calla' at the moment. so i started his (2008) book "Faces of Fear" which i haven't read before.

i bought it on paperback like 2 years ago or so. he's like any author there's been books of his i thought were shit. & those of his that i LOVED! & those of his i loved but the ending was shit.

one of my favorites is "Shadows" from (1992) a great book but it's just got a shitty ending. i've read it quite a few times. i think i read it in a week or so once?

ya know what i miss? when i was a kid i'd read on my rents water bed which they have loooooooooooong since gotten rid of. my dad forced my mom to. she loved it. anyways

another good one of his that i loved & it's actually the last one i read of back when it was still new! is "The Right Hand of Evil" Circa (1999) i read that a couple times as well.

"Second Child" (1990) is anothejr favorite of mine. also the 1st book i ever read of his.

so are there any other "John Saul" fans on here? :rock:

Jean
04-04-2011, 09:04 PM
I love John Saul. Every time I go to Paris I go to Gibert Jaune (big bookstore) and in the used books section buy a couple of Sauls. There's nothing like him if you want to read something that would be entertaining and satisfying without really doing anything to your mind, heart, or soul - like chewing gum if you want to keep your mouth busy. One the one hand, I can't do without reading, and on the other, when I am traveling, I need my mind-heart-soul for my traveling impressions and experiences, so Saul is a perfect solution. Second Child, Comes the Blind Fury, All Fall Down, Punish the Sinners, Hellfire, Nathaniel... I've read a shit ton more by him, and my only fear is that once I come to Gibert, and they've run out of Sauls.

Roland of Gilead 33
04-04-2011, 09:32 PM
well he only has done 37 books i believe. this book i've only just started last nite actually called "Faces of fear' sounds like a good one. well i took this from his site

FACES OF FEAR

Ballantine Books, 2008

Beauty may be only skin deep, but to the denizens of Beverly Hills and Bel Air, it means the world. Fifteen-year-old Alison Shaw may not be beautiful, but she doesn't really care: she'd much rather read a good book than primp in front of a mirror anyway. But Alison's mother, Risa, knows that beauty can be a key to success, and she wishes only the best for her daughter. Be careful what you wish for.

When Risa marries a widowed plastic surgeon and moves Alison from Santa Monica to Bel Air, everything changes; everywhere mother and daughter look, their new world is filled with beautiful people, many of whom have benefited from the skills of Alison's new stepfather, the charismatic Conrad Dunn, who is certain he can turn Alison into a vision of beauty. Risa is delighted by Conrad's assurances-and drawn to his cool confidence and deep-set eyes. Reluctantly, Alison agrees to undergo the first procedure, and her transformation begins. But soon Alison discovers a picture of Conrad's first wife, who killed herself after being disfigured in a car accident. To Alison's horror, she notices a resemblance between the image in the photo and the work her stepfather is doing on her. Though Risa refuses to acknowledge the strange similarity, Alison becomes increasingly frightened. Digging further into her stepfather's murky past, Alison uncovers dark secrets-and even darker motives-involving a string of grim murders that began even before she was born. And when at last she catches sight of what she will soon be seeing in her own mirror, she knows her worst fears are fast becoming her reality.

have you read this one Jean? i'm only on Chapter 4 Page 44. & you know what? so far it really doesn't feel like a man wrote this one. because by the dialog that's going between the teenage girls. so far. & how looks are really a HUGE issue in this issue. i wish they'd make his books into films. i don't really care if they are tv movies or theatrical films to be honest.

"The God Project" is one i thought was shit. i'm just going by what books i can think at the top of my head. "Creature" i thought was one of his worst ones. "Guardian" i think was a good one but i think that's one of his books where i just didn't like the ending. have you read his "Blackstone Chronicles" ? there's actually a game for i think the PC out there but it's loooooooooong out of print to be honest.

which sucks ass cause i want the damn game! he he anyways, he put that out in i think (1997) so SK did "The Green Mile" First my guess is he saw how much money SK was making from it. & decided to write his own serial. which i LOVED! the ending i just did NOT see coming at all. i thought it was ingenius on how it ended. i haven't read all of his books yet. so i can't really say which one is my favorite one. but i already said which ones i love. that's the only downside to "John Saul" his endings are sometimes shit.

if you havne't read "Shadows" read that one man. that one is kinda a little bit science Fiction. & "The Right Hand of evil" is horror with some witchcraft or something along the lines of that i think? keep in mind i haven't read it in years mind you. this one is kinda like a horror/mystery. a dude is out kiling women & stealing parts of them. the 1st women that was killed it has'nt said what organs were stolen only that

she was gutted from the groin up to her throat. & he left her heart in the bathroom where she was killed. right next to the toilet. actually is sounds more like a James Patterson Novel another author i LOVE! than a John Saul novel. this one so far sounds different than ones i've read in the past. which i think is great that he's trying things ya know? cause if you read most of his books back to back they kind of blend together & you see a theme. at least i do. well sorry for my ramblings i'm off to bed now. i gotta get up to go to work 2 mororow.

Roland of Gilead 33
04-09-2011, 11:44 AM
well i'm 80 pages into it. & it's a slow start but that's ok. it's so far for me a fast read so that's always a good sign Jean have you read this one yet?

Jean
04-09-2011, 12:26 PM
no, not yet. I like the premise, it sounds exactly like any other Saul I've read.

Heather19
04-09-2011, 03:45 PM
I've got a mini collection of Saul books going. Every time I hit up a used bookstore I usually grab one or two. Now the crazy thing is that I think I've actually only read one of his books :lol: The Blackstone Chronicles. Have either of you read it? I absolutely loved it. It's what got me to pick up his other ones. I really should get to reading some others soon.

Roland of Gilead 33
04-09-2011, 03:58 PM
oh i read those whehn they 1st came out. those are great. which parts have you read? & yes you are right Jean they are a bit similar to his other books. which is why i don't normally read more that 2 books at a time if i get in the mode to read a 2nd one. cause they all have a them of troubled teenagers. who fall under various problems with either this or that. & "The Blackstone Chronicles" i think is a bit different but to be fair i haven't read that i don't think since it 1st came out. i only own part 6 though, but i think i have another part somewhere around here? maybe part 4? i got the seris from the libary way back when which is how i read them back in

(1997)

Jean
04-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Haven't read The Blackstone Chronicles. Will, if fall upon them.

Roland of Gilead 33
04-09-2011, 09:58 PM
it's different than some of his other stuff that i've read. which i think is a GOOD thing. keep in mind i haven't read it in YEARS! they also have a game for i believe the PC that came out like i said in (1998) but good luck finding it. i'd LOVE to get for my PS3 though. i've never played it to be honest. but to my knowlege there's no game for any Dean Koonts novel or any SK novel which i actually find funny as hell. ESPECIALLY for those that were HUGE hits. ya know? i mean hell they even did a game for the N64 for the 2nd "Blues Bros" film in which i have but i haven't gotten very far in it.

nor have i seen any cheats online for it. which PISSES me off actually. but oh well i guess he he. anywys going back on subject sorry for going off it a bit. i've always thought John Saul was a bit like Dean Koontz some of his darker stuff i mean. & a bit SK as well. in short it's hard to explain what type of author he actually is. cause he's like both authors he doesn't do just Horror.

Roland of Gilead 33
04-15-2011, 11:49 AM
well i'm about 130 pages into the book "The face of fear' i have time before work to read for awhile so i have been doing that. & you know what? it's actually fast read! it's been awhile since i read a book that i literally am reading this fast & it's just FANTASTIC! :)

Jean
04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
oh, good! I'll make it a point not to miss it when I see it

Roland of Gilead 33
04-17-2011, 04:59 PM
oh good, let me know if you end up getting it. hell even get it out from the libary. at least that's something i'm THANKFUL that IS still around ya know? since all these bookstores are now closing! which just PISSES me off how about you man?

Jean
04-17-2011, 09:00 PM
well, as you may guess, library is not an option here, but I sure will look for it as soon as I am in Europe (maybe by the end of May)

bookstores, on the other hand, are prospering here, and there are books in foreign languages there too, but they are way too expensive; chances to find an affordable Saul are low, chances to find exactly what I'm looking for are next to none

Roland of Gilead 33
04-17-2011, 10:20 PM
damn i wish we had MORE bookstores around me man. fuck it just buy it on Amazon man. it's prolly faster anyways. & prolly cheaper too. he he. no libary's? man that HAS to suck. i basically grew up in a libary damn near. though these days i just say fuck it & buy books because it takes me AGES to get around to reading them at times. shit i have books i bought in (1992) at a booksale at my libary i STILL haven't read.

like i said this current "John Saul' book i bought like 2 years ago & NOW I'm finally getting around to read it. or my countless "James Patterson" books i have bought on Hardback i have yet to read. actually i can't really remember what the last book of his i actually read cause it's been THAT LONG!

Jean
04-17-2011, 10:36 PM
er... maybe you somehow missed the fact that I live in St.Petersburg, Russia, and the books in libraries around me are normally in Russian. I don't know how many foreign book libraries and bookstores there are where you live.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

Roland of Gilead 33
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
i've never actually been there so i have no idea how it is there. & if there are any here i have no idea if there are. i live pretty much near a shitty little town. & there's really nothing here. there isn't even a bookstore! to my best of knowledge. we have stores that of course sell books. but none of them are bookstores. no movie theatre either. it's been gone since i believe (1983) i think?

so in short, i live near a shitty little town.

Roland of Gilead 33
04-26-2011, 10:07 PM
an update to my reading this book. i'm on page 175. funny thing is i read about an hr. before i start work. & this book is actually going pretty fast! he he