PDA

View Full Version : All-World Geography

sullivan19
03-26-2011, 01:17 PM
I am currently re reading the DT series with a keen eye on the geography of All-World and Rolands travels.

What got me started was W&G, when the Ka-tet come to the marker stone, "Traveller, Beyond lies Mid-World". Its fair to assume this means Roland is about to leave In-World and its Baronies behind. Taking into account the points of the compass going adrift, Roland, Eddie and Suze travelled across In-World from its Western limits, at the Western Sea, to a point on its Eastern Border, just beyond Shardik's Woods. This journey took a number of months if I remember correctly. This in comparsion to Rolands journey from the East/South East of In-World, Jericho Hill, where he starts to look for Walter's trail. From here to the time Roland reaches the beach at the Western sea, it took the Gunslinger twelve years!

Roland has explained that the distance grew as he travelled, with Eddie point out stops to write post cards and stuff! Roland also refers to a map he saw of In-World and its Baronies, stretching West and a distance of around a thousand miles.

So, I did some calculating, just for the fun of it! The average person can walk 42 miles in 14 hours. This may seem a bit much for Roland to of covered but you can take into account he rode horseback a lot of the way and was alone the majority of the time. If Roland averaged this distance of 42 miles a day, then one year of 365 days would of seen him cover 15,330 miles in one year! Mulitiplied by 12 = 183,960! Roland's World grew 182,960 miles over 12 years, roughly! Or around 42 miles a day!

Make of this what you will! If the Geography of All-World is something that interests anyone, I'd be happy to share more of the stuff I have put together, in terms of placements of towns and Baronies and also possible positions of the other beams and Guardian Portals.