PDA

View Full Version : King may write an episode of The Walking Dead

mae
03-20-2011, 12:23 PM
http://ie.tv.ign.com/articles/115/1156613p1.html

The IGN Theatre at C2E2 hosted a packed house for The Walking Dead panel today and fans learned that Stephen King is in talks to write a Season 2 episode. (Editor's Note: Eff yeah!)

Laurie Holden, who plays Andrea on the series, dropped the news at the panel. Which episode that might be is still up in the air.

Frank Darabont, the show's executive producer, has a long-standing relationship with King, having adapted King's Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and The Mist for the big screen.

Jon Bernthal, who plays Shane, also revealed that Darabont will not direct the Season 2 premiere, but will most likely helm an episode later in the season's run.

Merlin1958
03-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Great News!!!!!!!

:rock:

Ben Staad
03-20-2011, 12:49 PM
That would be awesome. I just wish we didn't have to wait so long for season 2!

Bev Vincent
03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
AMC’s zombie sensation The Walking Dead might be getting a serious scare injection on its writing staff for next season. Iconic horror novelist (and former EW columnist) Stephen King has confirmed with EW that he’s currently in talks to write an episode of the post-apocalyptic series. Dead is executive-produced by Frank Darabont, who has directed three films based on King’s work — four, if you count his 1983 short film The Woman in the Room — and King tells EW exclusively that Darabont “has expressed enthusiastic interest for season 2 or possibly 3.” Although the author is still early in negotiations, the current plan would be for King to co-write an episode with his son, Joe Hill, the author of horror novels Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.

>>> Source (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/21/stephen-king-walking-dead-amc/)

OchrisO
03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
If he sticks to Kirkman's story in the comics, I will be happy, but if he decided to change a bunch of stuff and make his own story for an episode, I will be just as angry as I was when the writers did it in the first season, King or not. I also expect that King will decide to do that, since he is such an experienced writer and Kirkman is a relatively new kid on the block, but I really hope not. Kirkman writes zombie horror way better than King anyway, especially considering Cell.

What they should really do is just use Kirkman's comics as a script, convert rather than write. They already have amazing pacing and dialogue.

Brainslinger
03-22-2011, 06:34 AM
I don't think there's any harm in the series going it's own way. It means those who have read the comics get something new as well. As long as it's true to the world and characters of course. True to the comic in spirit if not to the letter. That's not to say they shouldn't use plot elements from the comics in the series, in fact I think they should.

I think if you're getting Stephen King to pen a couple of episodes then you should expect his story since that's the kind of writer he is: a creator not an adapter. It's only 2 episodes though. As long as nothing he does contradicts the main arc and it all fits in, I think that's okay.

I was happy to see it advertised on channel 5 yesterday for the first time! Unfortunately I don't get FX so this'll be my first time.

DanishCollector
03-22-2011, 06:39 AM
2 episodes? I believe he's supposed to write just one.

Brainslinger
03-22-2011, 06:55 AM
2 episodes? I believe he's supposed to write just one.

I'm not sure where I got 'two' from. Anyway, that supports my point even more. Even less reason to be worried about his input! (Not that I am. I'm looking forward to it. I'm referring to 0chris0's concern that it will deviate from the source material.)

ICry4Oy
03-22-2011, 07:46 AM
I've never read the comic books so I really don't care how closely the script follows them or if it follows them at all. I love this show!

DanishCollector
03-22-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm sure King and son will do a phenomenal job.

Slender
03-24-2011, 02:28 PM
I hope King throws in a few twists of his own. Maybe Andrea turns out to be the twinner of Amanda Dumfries or something.

Seriously though, I'd love it if he added a couple of references tying The Walking Dead into the Dark Tower multiverse.

Merlin1958
03-26-2011, 07:45 PM
I hope King throws in a few twists of his own. Maybe Andrea turns out to be the twinner of Amanda Dumfries or something.

Seriously though, I'd love it if he added a couple of references tying The Walking Dead into the Dark Tower multiverse.

You know what? That's not a bad idea!!! Maybe a subtle refernce to the "Zombie Virus" being a different strand from "Captain Trips" of The Stand, etc. Like that subtle DT reference in "The Mist" with the picture.

Brainslinger
03-27-2011, 04:19 PM
No. Stephen King is playing with another man's toys. That's fine, but he has to keep with those toys rather than bringing in his own.

In other words, I think it's fine that he use his imagination and write a good story, but he shouldn't bring in any cross-overs to own work. Besides, I don't think it would do the story any favours.

Not that I'm particularly worried. I doubt he'll do that.

I don't mind the odd reference purely for the gag purposes.

Merlin1958
03-27-2011, 04:42 PM
No. Stephen King is playing with another man's toys. That's fine, but he has to keep with those toys rather than bringing in his own.

In other words, I think it's fine that he use his imagination and write a good story, but he shouldn't bring in any cross-overs to own work. Besides, I don't think it would do the story any favours.

Not that I'm particularly worried. I doubt he'll do that.

I don't mind the odd reference purely for the gag purposes.

Really? Even something only the "In the know" folks would recognize?

Brainslinger
03-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Really? Even something only the "In the know" folks would recognize?

Sure. It's a nice little nod to us. No harm in that. Besides, the same would be said for a full cross-over. Only those who've read the books would get it.

I did say, 'I don't mind' though, so it's not a big deal either way.

My main point was my views concerning a cross-over with his own work. I.e. he shouldn't. Not that I think that will happen.

DanishCollector
03-28-2011, 12:42 PM
He wrote an episode for The X-Files and he did a good job with that, so have no worries this time either. Although I see what you mean as The Walking Dead is a continuing story (meaning a constant story, no stand-alones allowed). I don't think King will throw Pennywise or Flagg or DT references into The Walking Dead.

Slender
04-01-2011, 08:59 AM
That didn't stop him from connecting the Harry Potter, Star Wars and Marvel Comics universes to the Dark Tower when he wrote Wolves of the Calla.

Brainslinger
04-02-2011, 01:10 PM
That didn't stop him from connecting the Harry Potter, Star Wars and Marvel Comics universes to the Dark Tower when he wrote Wolves of the Calla.

I don't think that's quite the same thing. It wasn't so much a connection between his universe(s) and there's, as a connection with the Tower world and the Keystone which being as close to ours as you can get, has the same pop culture references. More specifically it was Great Old One technology based on stuff from the keystone world. (I'm not sure if that was intentional on their part or if it was just an example of 'twinning', spillage if you like. Considering 'Harry Potter' model was actually used for the sneetch I'm thinking the latter, or a bit of both, albeit their's appeared to be a science based weapon rather than a magic based sports item. Actually I'd keep the sneetches as they're different enough from the original and their pretty cool. )

I.e. if HP or the Star Wars gang, or Spideman had turned up in Mid-World, that would be different. (Of course that's an exaggerated example.) Even if Eddie had seen visions of Spidey swinging through Manhattan when he looked into the Rose I'd say that was going too far.

I actually thought King went a bit too far with those references anyway. I liked Wolves of the Calla as a whole, and I liked the ideas behind the wolves themselves. I personally wouldn't have given them those light sticks though. Or if I had, I'd have made them something else (electrical weapons of some kind, or blades with some kind of plasma corona around the edge rather than the rather explicit light saber).

Not that it was a big issue for me.

I think the Wolves should have had guns to provide a bit more of a challenge though. In the hall meeting between the elders it was suggested this was the case. Mind you, I suppose with sneetches they figured guns weren't required. They didn't even need to aim the things after all.

Slender
04-03-2011, 05:18 AM
I understand your hesitance – there's no denying that some of the choices King made in Wolves of the Calla are very, very unusual. The idea that all works of fiction form a sort of multiverse has always appealed to me (I am one of the people who enjoyed the insanity of the later Dark Tower volumes). I sometimes keep an eye out for unintentional Dark Tower connections in other works. For example, we could say that the Force is the Star Wars universe's embodiment of the Tower/Gan; the same could be said for the One-Above-All in the Marvel universe. I have always thought that the presence of the Harry Potter, Star Wars and Marvel Comics elements had an interdimensional explanation – perhaps some of the doors in Castle Discordia lead to those worlds, and when the agents of the Crimson King went through, they assimilated the technologies they found there.

I'm not suggesting that Javier Bardem cameos on an episode of The Walking Dead as an interdimensional Roland Deschain (though that's an interesting idea, come to think of it) – I would like some small references, that's all. Maybe a character who has been bitten by a walker could descend into a fever and start raving about the Tower and the Beams and the Rose. A cool Easter egg for Tower junkies, and something that would fly straight over the heads of non-fans without damaging the experience for them.

mae
06-25-2011, 06:51 PM
http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-walking-dead-season-2-no-michonne-maybe-stephen-king

The Walking Dead is currently shooting Season 2 in the Atlanta, Georgia area, and while we've seen some advance peeks at the action, AMC is remaining rather tight-lipped about the new season's story arc. Executive producer/writer Frank Darabont, who has been gleefully stealth about not revealing too much, did add insight into two fan queries while attending the 37th Annual Saturn Awards ceremony in Burbank on Thursday night.

Frank Darabont was first asked if one of the most popular characters from the comic book, warrior woman Michonne, would finally be putting in an appearance this year. Here is what the man had to say.

"When she [appears], she's gonna rock your world. I can officially tell you Michonne is coming in the third season."

When asked if he had an actress in mind for the role, Frank Darabont was quick and to the point.

"No. That's later."

The second burning question on most fans minds is: Will Stephen King write an episode? Frank Darabont doesn't quite now when this will happen, but he remains optimistic that Stephen King will actually collaborate on a script with his son, Joe Hill, as both are avid watchers of the series.

"I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's just a matter of... They want to do it together. I'm proud to say that they're both addicted fans of the show. In fact, Stephen King started harassing me by email, because I sent him the first one as soon as we had a lab pressing a disc. Like a decent Blu-ray. Then he started harassing me for the next one. Because Joe would drive up from wherever he lives, because he lives an hour away, and they'd sit and watch it together. [Laughs.] He'd say, "C'mon, where's the next one?" "It's in the lab, Stephen. We're still mixing the sound. I'll get it to you. I promise."

While it doesn't have a concrete premiere date, The Walking Dead Season 2 will hit sometime this October, just in time for Halloween.