PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Rothfuss

frik
03-20-2011, 01:42 AM
Not too long ago I was in The Hague visiting my favorite bookstore, the A(merican) B(ook) C(entre), where I noticed a huge pile of books that looked kind of intriguing:The Wise Man's Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ZQ%2BYN6EyL._SS500_.jpg

Never heard of him, so I didn't buy it right away, but I did have a closer look (Amazon) and found out it was the second part of a trilogy, Kingkiller Chronicles. Part 1, The Name of the Wind, got some good reviews (plus some bad ones...) so I decided to order it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qxhokQlWL._SS500_.jpg

Question: did I do the right thing? Has anyone read this series and if so, is it worth my while to order this sequel?
Thoughts anyone??

sk

OchrisO
03-20-2011, 04:48 AM
I love Patrick Rothfuss. The first book was really good, one of the better books I have read recently. I am about half way through The Wise Man's Fear right now and I have loved every minute of it. I just hope he doesn't take as long to write the third book as he did the second. I don't know if I can handle it. I greatly look forward to anything else he writes, though.

He also has an epic beard.

SigTauGimp
03-20-2011, 07:49 PM
I love Patrick Rothfuss. The first book was really good, one of the better books I have read recently. I am about half way through The Wise Man's Fear right now and I have loved every minute of it. I just hope he doesn't take as long to write the third book as he did the second. I don't know if I can handle it. I greatly look forward to anything else he writes, though.

He also has an epic beard.

QFT.

I found him quite randomly at a bookstore when The Name Of The Wind came out, and instantly fell in love with his writing style.

About halfway through The Wise Man's Fear, and loving that as well. To me, it's a breath of fresh air in the fantasy genre.

And yes, his beard is quite epic.

Jean
03-20-2011, 10:02 PM
I think tthis thread and the following two will be merged:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?3661-Patrick-Rothfuss-*spoilers*&highlight=RothfussRothfuss
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10096-Patrick-Rothfuss-The-Kingkiller-Chronicles&highlight=Rothfuss

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

SigTauGimp
03-22-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks, Jean. :D
I had no idea there were already threads on Mr. Rothfuss.

In other news, I just now finished "The Wise Man's Fear"...very, very awesome. Not quite as good as "The Name Of The Wind", IMHO, but still a very enjoyable read.

The one thing that bugs me about this series is the way that the books just seem to suddenly...stop. No real fanfare or anything like that. It is brilliant, in it's own right, because all I can think about after finishing is "How soon until the next one? GIMMEGIMMEGIMME!"...but it's still super-aggravating to me.

Stockerlone
09-14-2011, 05:05 AM
Have never read a book from Mr. Rothfuss... but in Nov. he comes to my hometown to present his newest
book. Think i go to the bookpresentation + signing event, maybe i try to go to a special meet + greet before...

Erin
09-14-2011, 05:12 AM
I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear right now and it's great! I love everything about Kvothe while he's at University.

Stockerlone
09-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Have never read a book from Mr. Rothfuss... but in Nov. he comes to my hometown to present his newest
book. Think i go to the bookpresentation + signing event, maybe i try to go to a special meet + greet before...

Damn.... the complete European Promo Tour ... Cancelled:pullhair:

onlylivingboyinny
01-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm reading The Wise Man's Fear right now and it's great! I love everything about Kvothe while he's at University.

I'll be starting this one soon, absolutely loved TNotW.

Erin
01-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Then you will not be disappointed! I think I liked The Wise Man's Fear even better than The Name of the Wind.

*edit* I am very curious though as to how he can tie up all that remains from the story in one more book. I really don't see it happening and think it will branch out past a trilogy.

onlylivingboyinny
01-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Agreed 100%. Rothfuss was definitely not expecting the tremendous success of book 1, so any less than two sequels would be a let down.

SigTauGimp
01-22-2012, 11:22 PM
*edit* I am very curious though as to how he can tie up all that remains from the story in one more book. I really don't see it happening and think it will branch out past a trilogy.

I've wondered the same thing quite a bit lately. I just finished up my n'th reread of NotW and WMF, and from where I'm sitting, if he were to tie everything up in one more book, it would be close to the 2K page mark. Not that I'm against that, of course. :P

St. Troy
06-30-2019, 12:52 PM
Amazon and Book depository listed an Aug 20 2020 date for Doors of Stone; it isn’t known is there’s anything solid behind this.

Hunchback Jack
06-30-2019, 03:41 PM
Amazon and Book depository listed an Aug 20 2020 date for Doors of Stone; it isn’t known is there’s anything solid behind this.

I wouldn't believe anything unless it's announced by the author or publisher. Rothfuss himself has recently given no guarantees on when it will be done. Any dates you see at this point are fiction.

St. Troy
06-30-2019, 05:48 PM
My thinking is overzealous, or tricksterish, behavior on the part of someone who thinks they’re in the know when they’re really not...still, I hope.

Hunchback Jack
06-30-2019, 08:32 PM
Believe me, I hope it is August 2020. I'm just skeptical that there's good evidence to think that's a real date.

knightmare
06-30-2019, 09:20 PM
You’re probably aware, but if not, Rothfuss has a charity site with store where you can get sign3d copies of all his books for a very fair price.

https://worldbuildersmarket.com/collections/books?_=pf&pf_t_featured_products=The%20Kingkiller%20Chronicl e

kingfan2323
06-30-2019, 10:22 PM
Well . . . Never read him. The Kingkiller series a "not-miss" or? Do not really read fantasy stuff but this seems pretty epic!

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L

knightmare
06-30-2019, 10:49 PM
It’s pretty special. Almost everyone I know who has read it loves it, but it’s not for absolutely everyone. The writing has a depth regarding music that I haven’t experienced and as a protagonist the lead is both incredible while also very flawed and human. It does take 8 chapters to get going, as they set up the secondary story that someone will be chronicling his life, but it’s not just entertaining with a fantasy aspect, it’s a relatable story of learning, love, and challenges. I highly recommend it.

kingfan2323
06-30-2019, 11:20 PM
Sounds like a ringing endorsement to me. I will add it to my growing stack! Thanks

St. Troy
07-01-2019, 06:44 AM
This thing with Amazon & Book Depository has me wondering and trying to apply the logic of publishing to it the best I can, which isn't that great considering I don't work in that world, but here goes:

Let's say the Aug 20 2020 date is an actual date, "actual" meaning they intend to publish on that date. Assuming that, what state would the book be in right now?

I'm thinking:
- if it's done being edited, I would expect it to go to press long before Aug 2020, but
- if it is still undergoing any kind of editorial work, wouldn't putting any date on it be presumptive in the extreme (given Rothfuss' years-long work timelines)?

Or is the editing process only of indefinite length when it's just Rothfuss on his own, prior to submitting to the publisher, and once he starts working with them, it's pretty straightforward (even if still months long)? Perhaps there are simply too many variables for any meaningful conclusions to be reached. I just can't wait for the book.

St. Troy
07-01-2019, 06:45 AM
Of course, I'm one of the people who recommends Rothfuss to one and all, but whenever I make recommendations, I can't forget that everything I've ever read that felt like a total waste of time is beloved by someone.

kingfan2323
07-01-2019, 07:43 AM
Of course, I'm one of the people who recommends Rothfuss to one and all, but whenever I make recommendations, I can't forget that everything I've ever read that felt like a total waste of time is beloved by someone.Ha! Never thought of that. Even Pauley Shore movies! Predator 2!

knightmare
07-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Of course, I'm one of the people who recommends Rothfuss to one and all, but whenever I make recommendations, I can't forget that everything I've ever read that felt like a total waste of time is beloved by someone.

Absolutely right! While I don’t understand someone not loving Kingkiller Chronicles that certainly doesn’t make them wrong. I’ve heard some decent points by people who find it a little slow, which is certainly fair. I just say that there are a few books in adulthood I have read twice and I’ve gone through Name of the Wind and Wise Mans Fear over 20 times. It’s like a favorite song, when all else fails....

St. Troy
07-01-2019, 08:25 AM
When we have a real release date, and The Doors Of Stone is 2 - 3 months away, I will begin re-reading The Name Of The Wind and The Wise Man's Fear.

Hunchback Jack
07-01-2019, 03:08 PM
This thing with Amazon & Book Depository has me wondering and trying to apply the logic of publishing to it the best I can, which isn't that great considering I don't work in that world, but here goes:

Let's say the Aug 20 2020 date is an actual date, "actual" meaning they intend to publish on that date. Assuming that, what state would the book be in right now?

I'm thinking:
- if it's done being edited, I would expect it to go to press long before Aug 2020, but
- if it is still undergoing any kind of editorial work, wouldn't putting any date on it be presumptive in the extreme (given Rothfuss' years-long work timelines)?

Or is the editing process only of indefinite length when it's just Rothfuss on his own, prior to submitting to the publisher, and once he starts working with them, it's pretty straightforward (even if still months long)? Perhaps there are simply too many variables for any meaningful conclusions to be reached. I just can't wait for the book.

My guess (and it is a guess) is that if the August 2020 is in any way real, it's probably based on a tentative delivery of the manuscript around the end of this year or early next. I don't know enough about Rothfuss's writing process to know what state the MS is in now is he's planning delivery by end of year - he could be revising a full draft, or have a many-times-revised partial draft.

I may be inferring too much from the podcast interview he did at the end of March, but he didn't sound like he was approaching any kind of milestone that he was excited about. I would guess (and again, it's a guess) that he still has a significant amount to write, or if he has a complete draft, it needs a lot of revising.

HBJ