PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of Tull (starting in June)

Bev Vincent
03-14-2011, 05:54 AM
http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/articles/1300109759.jpg
This June, acclaimed artist and Eisner Award nominee Michael Lark (Daredevil, Gotham Central) joins the superstar writing team of Peter David & Robin Furth for Dark Tower: The Gunslinger – The Battle Of Tull #1 (of 5). Lark joins the acclaimed team of Peter David, Robin Furth and Richard Isanove in the select group of creators entrusted by Stephen King himself to bring the adult adventures of his most personal creation to life in Dark Tower: The Gunslinger – The Battle Of Tull! Longtime fans and newcomers alike are sure to be amazed as Lark’s take on the grit and grandeur of Mid-World this June with an outright merciless tale that sets in motion the fateful journey of Roland Deschain.

“I have nothing but respect and admiration for Stephen King and the chance to work on the Dark Tower is a wonderful privilege,” said Lark. “I only hope that I can come close to conveying his vision – a daunting task, but a challenge that I'm enjoying tremendously. It has allowed me to explore the darker aspects of my art and really start pushing some of the boundaries of my own style. And who doesn't love drawing cowboys and horses?!”

The Man in Black has lured Roland to a barren saloon town and, once there, he’ll realize than even a stone cold killer is no match for the horrors of the Dark Tower! Why does a dead man still walk the streets of Tull and, why are this town’s living, breathing citizens a far greater threat? The baddest man in Mid-World is about to find out that the true price of his quest can only be paid in spent shells and innocent blood this June in Dark Tower: The Gunslinger – The Battle Of Tull #1 (of 5)!

DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER - THE BATTLE OF TULL #1 (of 5)
Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH
Pencils & Cover by MICHAEL LARK
Parental AdvisorySLC …$3.99

Ric
03-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Awesome news Bev, thanks!

I've been grabbing every single issue since this whole run started a few years ago.

Brainslinger
03-14-2011, 05:49 PM
A great picture.

I'd prefer a new story though. There's still plenty of space between the prequel comics and The Gunslinger to cover. It looks like they'll basically be covering the novels now in comic form, ala The Stand and The Talisman.

The Man in Black has lured Roland to a barren saloon town and, once there, he’ll realize than even a stone cold killer is no match for the horrors of the Dark Tower!

Horrors of The Dark Tower? I suppose as a linchpin of time and space and the epitome of size it has it's horrific aspects, but I get the impression the writer of that article means it in a different way here...

pixiedark76
03-16-2011, 01:54 PM
YAY! Another comic for me to spend money on!:pullhair: Seriously, I think this will be a cool story arc. I always wanted to see "play-by-play" action of The Battle of Tull.

WeDealInLead
03-17-2011, 07:28 AM
I'll buy this but why is it called a battle? That would sort of imply something a little more epic than a slaughter.

Atanóno Fána
03-18-2011, 01:17 AM
And I can forget to John Farson. Furth me with Roland it sucks. And as such Reynolds, Sheemie, people in Mid-World under goverment´s Good Man?

Atanóno Fána
03-18-2011, 01:19 AM
But other stars artist and another great image. Thanks at least for!

Slender
03-18-2011, 12:56 PM
Am I the only one who's bothered by the comic-book writers' tendency to stretch everything out into a full arc? 'The Gunslinger: The Journey Begins' was essentially filler material – it was five whole issues of nothing really happening. It didn't need to be made. And just when it seemed like the writers were finally about to start adapting the meatier parts of 'The Gunslinger' – Tull, the way station, the mountains – they suddenly turned around and announced a five-issue arc based on 'The Little Sisters of Eluria' – a short story that could easily have been covered in two issues, probably even one. Now they're dragging the Battle of Tull out into another unnecessary five-issue arc? Sigh... I just want them to hurry up and get to Roland's meeting with Jake, which is where the story really picks up and starts getting interesting.

johnnyonthespot1
03-27-2011, 09:07 AM
This is going to be so dope...

The Tull portion of DT1: The Gunslinger was the first of many bloody, action-packed sequences that were such an important element of the DT series. When I read the Tull story for the first time, I was shocked by the terror and brutality that came across the page. That portion of the novel is what really sucked me into the character of Roland, and I loved how much of a badass he was.

I agree that calling it a "battle" is a little inaccurate, but as for the story being unneccessarily drawn out, I don't think that's the case. There's a lot of ground to cover, from Roland's affair, to the crazy-ass preacher lady, to Sheb and the saloon, and finally the slaughter.

Also, I think that we fans of the DT series should be overjoyed that Marvel is taking its time and covering huge portions of the story (and giving us some new material too), instead of just crunching each book into one comic book series each. With the continuation of the comic series, and the film/TV project in the works, the Dark Tower is really becoming a franchise, and that seems to me to be a very good thing.

Anyhow, this Tower junkie can't wait for his next fix!

ICry4Oy
05-20-2011, 05:03 AM
Only just found out that Michael Lark will be at the Dallas Comic Con this Sat/Sun. Now I have to attend.

Ari_Racing
05-20-2011, 08:05 AM
Enjoy! :)

ICry4Oy
05-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Thank you, I'll try. I've never considered attending one of these conventions before. I'm not a comic book person but am of course a Dark Tower person and the story of Tull is one of my faves. At least Leonard Nimoy will be there so that alone makes it worth the trip! ...that and the Tardis replica that will also be there:wub:

fernandito
05-20-2011, 09:19 AM
Eh, I don't know ... The massacre of Tull is probably at the forefront of my personal highlights of the series - it's the only segment where we get to see adult Roland at his full gun slinging potential - but I'm beyond worn out on the series. I stopped collecting the comics a few dozen arcs back. I might make an exception for this, still not sure yet.

ICry4Oy
05-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Hope these show up from my facebook...

With Michael Lark:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/227091_10150253713210917_599900916_8858030_7182191 _n.jpg

He drew a sketch for me while I was there!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/247803_10150253713925917_599900916_8858055_7221513 _n.jpg

Brainslinger
05-21-2011, 06:19 PM
That's great!

ICry4Oy
05-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Meeting Mr. Stan Lee gave me a nerdgasm.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/250405_10150253713830917_599900916_8858052_8050985 _n.jpg

So did meeting this guy!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/247980_10150253713730917_599900916_8858049_2746734 _n.jpg

ICry4Oy
05-21-2011, 07:25 PM
These are two other Battle of Tull covers that Michael wanted to sell me but his publisher said no because they haven't been released yet. Bastard!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/MilesFarrell/TullCovers.jpg

Ric
05-22-2011, 07:03 AM
Awesome stuff!! I've met Stan a few times and always love talking to him. I've not had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Nimoy though, that must be a thrill!

Thanks for sharing.

Ari_Racing
05-22-2011, 03:29 PM
Congratulations!!! Looks like you had an awesome time!

I plan to attend to San Diego Comic Con next year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed to meet some of those legends.

cgallagh44
05-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Heading to the comic bookstore tomorrow to pick up a copy of "The Battle of Tull-issue 1".

RolandLover
07-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Just ordered the first edition from Amazon which was cheaper than Marvel! Hope Roland Deschain is drawn like how I picture him to be. Most of the drawing of him I do not like.

RolandLover
07-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I received the first issue of BOT and I love it! But is there some reason they don't show Roland's bombardier blue eyes? Also, I wasn't expecting Allie's scar to be so big where it covers her right eye. Don't remember if it was described to be that big in the books.

Ari_Racing
07-05-2011, 06:53 PM
Can't wait to read this series. The DT comics got better after Fall of Gilead (which was one of the best ones in my opinion).

Brainslinger
07-06-2011, 06:42 AM
What do they have in the back of this issue?

I probably won't get this as I'm mainly focussed on new material. Thing is, I felt that way for Little Sisters too, but ended up buying them all when I learned of the Little Sisters' origin story.

RolandLover
07-06-2011, 07:30 AM
In the back of this issue is a 4pg summary from Robin Furth on why they chose to tell the story of Tull in linear time and started with Roland buying a mule in Pricetown. Then a special preview of issue 2.

Brainslinger
07-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks. I can see that being a logical route to take in the comic.

RolandLover
07-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Just received issue 2 today woot!!! They did a good job with the whole the man in black/nort scene!

WeDealInLead
07-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Yeah. I'd say this issue restored some faith in the DT comics. This issue was as good as anything in The Gunslinger Born and better than everything else.

RolandLover
07-13-2011, 08:40 PM
My other comment about this issue is a pet peeve one. In the scene with Roland/Alice, they make it seems as if the only way Roland can ever make love to a woman is by envisioning Susan. I know the mention of her in The Gunslinger turned Roland off to Alice but I hope they are not saying that's what he does with all women. It's not mentioned liked that in the books.

Patrick
07-18-2011, 04:37 PM
These are two other Battle of Tull covers that Michael wanted to sell me but his publisher said no because they haven't been released yet. Bastard!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/MilesFarrell/TullCovers.jpg

These are awesome!

Great photos of you and the celebrities too.

Ari_Racing
08-01-2011, 04:48 AM
Next wednesday (August 3rd, 2011) number 3 goes for sale. Here's the cover:

http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/e/e0/4dcaba04d198d/detail.jpg

neosatus
08-01-2011, 04:54 AM
Does anyone know if there will be any Battle of Tull cover variants? I'm assuming not, because I haven't seen any yet..

beam*seeker
08-01-2011, 05:16 AM
Am I the only one who's bothered by the comic-book writers' tendency to stretch everything out into a full arc? 'The Gunslinger: The Journey Begins' was essentially filler material – it was five whole issues of nothing really happening. It didn't need to be made. And just when it seemed like the writers were finally about to start adapting the meatier parts of 'The Gunslinger' – Tull, the way station, the mountains – they suddenly turned around and announced a five-issue arc based on 'The Little Sisters of Eluria' – a short story that could easily have been covered in two issues, probably even one. Now they're dragging the Battle of Tull out into another unnecessary five-issue arc? Sigh... I just want them to hurry up and get to Roland's meeting with Jake, which is where the story really picks up and starts getting interesting.

You are not the only one

RolandLover
08-01-2011, 06:51 AM
I can't wait for issue three. Does anyone like how older Roland is drawn in the comics?

RolandLover
08-01-2011, 06:57 AM

Do you think the comics will go that far int the DT series?

Brainslinger
08-01-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm not getting this series (although I'm not saying I won't ever) but I really like that cover picture of Allie on Issue 3! That rascal Walter and his mind traps, eh?

WeDealInLead
08-01-2011, 01:48 PM
It's my favourite since The Gunslinger Born. I was willing to drop the series and buy USED hardcovers and then bam!... the scene at the bar with Walter and Nort. It sent shivers down my spine.

Ari_Racing
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Cover artwork for number 4:

http://x.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel/i/mg/c/30/4dee39fa053c2/detail.jpg

WeDealInLead
08-04-2011, 11:16 AM
I got the latest issue. It's pretty good. The extra stuff at the end by Furth wasn't too 'out there' either. Good job to everyone involved.

RolandLover
08-04-2011, 01:29 PM
I ordered the issue from Tales of Wonder site. Anyone know how long it takes for them to get the release? I preordered from them.

RolandLover
08-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Received issue 3 today and it's great!

Andrew Lisowski
09-06-2011, 09:38 PM
I just read the foreword to the first issue in this arc. It got me thinking. It hints that the Roland we are reading is a different Roland than we have read.
Could this mean that we are reading the next cycle in Roland's journey? Does he now have the horn?
And if not that would be an awesome route for the series to go.

jhanic
09-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Except that it wouldn't be written by King.

John

Andrew Lisowski
09-07-2011, 11:52 PM
but doesn't he collaborate heavily with the writers though?

jhanic
09-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Not very much. As I understand it, he is "editorial director", which, to me, means that he must okay the story line, but not much else. I could be wrong about this, though. He is not involved in the actual writing.

John

Ari_Racing
09-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Yes, he's a kind of supervisor actually.

RolandLover
09-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I didn't take what is written in the back as a different Roland at all or a start of a journey. I think RF was saying that BoT is a new journey outside Roland's earlier life. I could be wrong though.

RolandLover
10-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Received the last issue of BoT and I liked it. At the end of the issue RF went into the two versions of the Gunslinger explaining the differences of the two.

ICry4Oy
02-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Michael Lark was at the Dallas Sci Fi Expo this weekend so I got him to autograph all five issues of BOT. Made me happy!

jdub
04-04-2013, 08:23 AM
I enjoyed this series a great deal, having Lark do this gave it a unique look and feel too (not that the Jae Lee stuff wasn't amazing in its own right)