PDA

View Full Version : TV/Film Split?

childe nolan-d
03-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Since the filmmakers are supposedly going to split the story into three movies and two six-hour miniseries, how would you like to split it up? I have heard that they want to save the W&G for the latter portion, but I think an ongoing back-story would help break the story into a multifaceted, layered production.

I think the best course of action would be:

Movie 1: The Gunslinger
TV 1: Drawing of the Three (Wizard and Glass)
Movie 2: The Wastelands (Wizard and Glass and some comics)
TV 2: Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah (Comics back-story snippets)
Movie 3: Dark Tower

I think that the first book, as is, would provide a perfect cinematic introduction to the series. It would be nice to have an expertly woven series of flashbacks (something I thought Lost taught us how to do well) that break up the story well while simultaneously providing a thematic respite from a potentially monotonous linear story. I think that the first novel is perfectly structured for the initial entry, and tacking on the Drawing of the Three (or even the Wastelands) to the first film would be at the same time anticlimactic and overstimulating. I think that the first novel tells us a lot of the information we need to continue. To let it stand on its own with its own specificity and integrity will make the rest of the story enticing for critics and audiences alike. There is a lot going on in The Gunslinger, but we often forget this because of the enormity of the rest of the series. Let this one be subtle, character-driven, and gritty before the rest of the story explodes in action and introduction of so many characters.

I think this flash-back format would work well for all of the back-stories (Roland's, Jake's, Eddie's, Susannah's, Jack Mort's, Callahan's, Ted's, and any other character we wish to see fleshed-out in the extended multiverse). The tiny flash-backs in the first movie would prepare us for the overall motif, and then the flashbacks could expand to become what they need to be story-wise.

For the first miniseries, I think that the W&G flash-backs could work well, initially, as blood-poisoning hallucinations and then continue as fire-side stories for Eddie/Odetta. The miniseries could culminate with the great box canyon shoot-out and the showdown between Detta and Odetta.

There is an unspecified gap in time between Drawing and Wastelands, which provides a natural break leading into the second film. The Wastelands movie could stand as it does, but continue past the Blaine debacle and finish with the showdown in emerald city. I think the flash-backs could incorporate the Long Road Home storyline (introducing us to a powerful Crimson King) and end with the final tragic flash-back at the end of Wizard and Glass.

Another unspecified time-lapse, and we're into Wolves. Like the majority of Wizard and Glass, Wolves takes it's time in getting to the action, which may be easier to absorb with the assistance of the length of a miniseries. It could go into the Song of Susannah in the same way and possibly end with the same cliffhanger. I think that the flashbacks could incorporate Callahan's story, along with the story-lines from the Fall of Gilead and the Battle of Jericho Hill ... perhaps to a lesser extent. Although, I would also like to see this series do something concrete with Rhea, Farson and other untidy portions.

The Final Dark Tower movie could stand on its own, with whatever revisions the filmmakers want to make for cinematic purposes.

This format would really only change the placement of Roland's purging confession about his history in Mejis, but I don't think it intrinsic to the story to delay it until later in the series. I would actually prefer for the miniseries to be a regular series, albeit cable-length (12-13 episodes per season). I think that this would allow the story to unfold at its own pace. This would also open it to wider awards consideration, expanded audience awareness, and greater DVD sales. This could also assist in the bridging the chasm from TV to movie specifically--which is going to be hard no matter how you slice it. It's easy to have a recap each week before an episode, but a "previously on" intro could be hard in the movies. Some sort of classy montage perhaps?

Sefear
03-19-2011, 08:32 PM
I agree with alot of the points you bring up, however I don't like the decision on the producers part to condense the series down to only 3 movies and two mini-series. Other than drawing of the three I think that each novel could easily have it's own full length movie. I also heard that they were going to put wizard and glass before the final movie but there's a big continuation issue with that.

Wolves of the Calla and SoS have key ideas based off of details we learn in Roland's adventure in the Meji's. Maerlyn's rainbow, the crimson king's existence, and just overall getting that backstory of Roland's past. I like the idea of incorporating the comic book stories into the series to give us a better understanding of his character development, but there isn't much space to work with as is. Also it would really erk me as a DT fan to see Roland's trip to the Meji's right before the finale that is the last book. I think King timed it perfectly, telling us that story between the wastelands and the wolves.

Wolves is up there as one of my favorites in the series, but Callahan's story needs to be told, I don't think it'd be the same if we didn't learn about the Pere. This is how I thought the producers should format the series.

Movie 1 - The Gunslinger
Tv series 1 - Drawing of the Three / Wastelands
Movie 2 - (I'm sure alot of people won't agree with this but) Wizard & Glass
Tv series 2 - Wolves and Songs of Sussanah
Movie 3 - The Dark Tower.

The reason i'd put the tet's main story in the mini series is because there is more time to develop their characters, relationships, and stories than in a 2 hour movie. I think 6 hours for Drawing of the three and the wastelands and 6 hours for Wolves and SoS will be enough time to do the books justice. Just my opinion..

Roland of Gilead 33
03-19-2011, 10:05 PM
i didn't read all this to be fair. but i agree 100% they SHOULD each be a film. hence 7 movies. well since the next book is out next year it than should be 8 films. but i am curious if they will add anything from the comics or the short story as well? hey they made harry potter 7 & a half films why not this series?

Odetta
03-20-2011, 07:18 AM
I can actually see why Wizard & Glass could be a mini series... there is a lot of story in this book and to properly do justice to Roland's back story, you need the time a mini series can give.

Brainslinger
03-20-2011, 07:27 AM
I thought the second series was going to be a full 13 episodes. The first one will be a mini series (i.e. 6-8 episodes. in American terms. That's a full series in the UK. Heh.).

I do wonder if there should be some overlap with the second series and the ka-tets present day events though. Then again... maybe that's just what happens.

I could imagine the last film including both Song... and The Dark Tower though. That would mean trimming a good portion off, but I suspect some of that will happen anyway. The stuff concerning The Writer need not be in the films for example. Saving the Tower and saving the Rose should be enough.

Son of Paul
03-23-2011, 06:21 AM
I think a three hour movie could get Gunslinger and Drawing in it, provided the inevitable watering down is in there. This gets the rest of the main characters introduced early. Wastelands could be the first miniseries, giving it a little bit more time to cover it all, and the obvious cliffhanger of Blaine is much better suited for the end of the series rather than the end of a movie (they'll be looking for a new audience as well as trying to appease us fanatics). Non-flashback W&G with Wolves of the Calla could be a movie, with young Roland W&G being the last TV series. Put SoS and tDT in the last movie.

Brainslinger
03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I was actually thinking The Waste Lands would be rather cinematic. There's some stuff there that could be very effects intensive.

That being said there's a lot of character stuff that may be suitable for a series.

flaggwalkstheline
03-29-2011, 07:08 PM
I agree with everything in the OP except that I think the comics should be kept out of the films

The Gasherman
05-05-2011, 11:15 AM
I think it is crucial that The Waste Lands be cinematic. I will be very disappointed if that goes the TV route, but I'm pretty disappointed about any of it being on NBC. I can see HBO, but not NBC.

Brainslinger
05-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I think the earlier part of The Waste Lands could be in a series... although Shardik might need movie level effects.

The part in Ludd certainly seems very cinematic though.

Jean
05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
<...> I think the comics should be kept out of the films Oh yes. Please.

candy
05-06-2011, 11:22 AM
<...> I think the comics should be kept out of the films Oh yes. Please.

double, treble and infinity yes