PDA

View Full Version : Best short story to pick?

CyberGhostface
03-04-2011, 08:14 PM
I want to pick a short story by Stephen King that has symbolism or uses metaphors for one of my classes. Can anyone think of any specific ones that have it? Preferably something that's in one of his first four short story collections.

Or if not King, does anyone know of any good stories from Joe Hill's collection that are symbolic? Been a while since I read it.

pathoftheturtle
03-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I really like "Nona" from Skeleton Crew. Look at this quote -- I am in the grip of a huge, noisome graveyard rat. Lights sway in front of my eyes. October roses. Somewhere a dead bell is chanting.
"Do you love?" this thing whispers. "Do you love?" The smell of roses is its breath as it swoops toward me, dead flowers in a charnel house.Great opening if Stephen King is what you want to discuss.

Less Horror-show is "The Reach" at the end of that collection, but the other side of SK that it shows is still quite characteristic, and it has its own interesting symbolism and pretty clear metaphor.

Jean
03-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Or if not King, does anyone know of any good stories from Joe Hill's collection that are symbolic? Been a while since I read it. My Father's Mask

flaggwalkstheline
03-05-2011, 08:39 AM
as far as king short stories go i recommend the boogeyman

with any short stories though...
my favorite is The Kiss by Anton Chekov

mae
03-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Agreed. "Nona" is my favorite King short story.

CyberGhostface
03-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. In the end, I went with Grey Matter and I went at it from the perspective that King was unwittingly writing about his own alcoholism at the time.

beam*seeker
05-11-2011, 06:02 AM
LT's Theory of Pets. (a metaphor for marriage) :)

Jean
05-11-2011, 06:21 AM
that's one of my problems with that story... I am mistrustful of any fiction that has metaphoric, allegoric, or any other deep, meaning

pathoftheturtle
05-13-2011, 04:20 PM
:lol: Not me. Funny how we're much alike in some ways, and directly opposite in others...

Many stories, I'm either fed up with them, or still looking for deep meaning that is probably not even really there. >LOL<

Anyhow, I did love "LT's Theory of Pets."

LadyHitchhiker
05-13-2011, 04:25 PM
My favorite short story of his that I have ever read was "The Langoliers". Hands down...

beam*seeker
05-16-2011, 03:51 PM
that's one of my problems with that story... I am mistrustful of any fiction that has metaphoric, allegoric, or any other deep, meaning

So, I am guessing bears hated "Animal Farm" ?

Jean
05-16-2011, 11:24 PM
no, they didn't hate it. They found it shallow, superficial, and altogether not a worthy literary achievement, though. That's what inevitably happens when an author tries to write something that is more than "just fiction" - it comes out less. Especially when he doesn't know shit of what he is writing about, and makes it purely speculative.

Any entertaining story honestly told has all kinds of deep meanings; if the author is talented and true, he can't help it. (this is, I believe, what Stuttering Bill was trying to get through to his Creative Writing class, where everyone insisted on Deep Allegories). Thus, path - no, we're not actually opposite here, yet again. The deep meaning that may not be there in fact is there, only more so if the author didn't endeavor to thrust it upon you.

LadyHitchhiker
05-17-2011, 06:44 AM
I must say, I agree totally about Animal Farm.

When someone is trying to hard to make a point, and completely misses the boat, leaving the reader scratching their head and thinking they wasted their time, that's never good either.

pathoftheturtle
05-17-2011, 06:54 AM
... (Bears) found (Animal Farm) shallow, superficial, and altogether not a worthy literary achievement, though. That's what inevitably happens when an author tries to write something that is more than "just fiction" - it comes out less. Especially when he doesn't know shit of what he is writing about, and makes it purely speculative. ...Animal Farm?! :o Orwell didn't know shit? Beg pardon; I still think we ARE actually opposite.

Jean
05-17-2011, 07:03 AM
it's our background and experience, both historical and personal. Don't you know if there is any Animal Farm thread around? I really would like to know what appeals to you in it. Even 1984 is better (marginally)

LadyHitchhiker
05-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Most of what we call classic American literature is shit, actually, in my fine opinion.

Jean
05-18-2011, 05:13 AM
want to start a thread?

WeDealInLead
05-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Those are some heavy words Jean. Orwell is a classic for a reason. I realize those books might not do much for an adult with a lot of life experience, but to some high school kid, the writting and subject matter is some next level shit. To me, even at 32, 1984 is incredible. Just look around you, you'll see why that book is more relevant than ever. The big brother IS watching you.

1984 > animal farm.

P.S. I still need to read 'We' which was supposedly inspiration for 1984? I might be wrong though.