PDA

View Full Version : Love Him or Hate Him - Rush's Charity Auction!

Sir_Boomme
10-17-2007, 08:24 PM
ok.... not even close to a stephen king auction...but... amazing!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260170172469&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

i've been following it since it started, never thought it'd get this high.

jhanic
10-18-2007, 03:32 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260170172469&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=016

I've been watching it also, and am also surprised!

John

Sir_Boomme
10-18-2007, 05:12 AM
yeah, as you might know i like to collect presidential memoirs. signed political stuff, campaign buttons etc.

i actual thought about bidding on this while it was still under 5 grand... but, not a chance now...

on a side note, i've been missing around here and the other DT site. also haven't bought anything new in 3 months.
i'm forcing myself to go on the wagon for a while and save money for a house. (otherwise i would have jumped on that lettered firestarter last month)

i've found i'm very impulsive... and it's better not to even go on ebay, abe, or frequent this forum until i reach my goal of having enought money to put at least half down on a house.
it'll probably take me close to a year... so, i'm not ignoring you guys... just taking a break from buying books for a while - and you guys are a bit of a bad influence :excited: ha ha ha.

i need a new house because all my book shelves are completely full and i have no room for new shelves (absolute truth). looking for one that i can put a library in. i will check in occasionally... and i'll BE BACK!

Cutter
10-18-2007, 09:53 AM

John
I looked at it, and what is it? just a letter saying Rush was being a jerk? or was Rush ripping on a man who lied about being a soldier and the Democrats defended the guy knowing he wasn't a soldier?

Can someone explain? It doesn't seem like a big deal when I read the letter, but heck it's at 135 thousand right now :o, so I must be missing something.

jhanic
10-18-2007, 10:00 AM

John
I looked at it, and what is it? just a letter saying Rush was being a jerk? or was Rush ripping on a man who lied about being a soldier and the Democrats defended the guy knowing he wasn't a soldier?

Can someone explain? It doesn't seem like a big deal when I read the letter, but heck it's at 135 thousand right now :o, so I must be missing something.

I think the biggest thing with the letter is that we have here members of the government suggesting that a private citizen be censored because of what he said. That's what the First Amendment is all about!

John

Cutter
10-18-2007, 10:41 AM
I think the biggest thing with the letter is that we have here members of the government suggesting that a private citizen be censored because of what he said. That's what the First Amendment is all about!

John
Ahhh irony, I missed that, thanks John!

wizardsrainbow
10-18-2007, 11:56 AM
yeah, as you might know i like to collect presidential memoirs. signed political stuff, campaign buttons etc.

i actual thought about bidding on this while it was still under 5 grand... but, not a chance now...

on a side note, i've been missing around here and the other DT site. also haven't bought anything new in 3 months.
i'm forcing myself to go on the wagon for a while and save money for a house. (otherwise i would have jumped on that lettered firestarter last month)

i've found i'm very impulsive... and it's better not to even go on ebay, abe, or frequent this forum until i reach my goal of having enought money to put at least half down on a house.
it'll probably take me close to a year... so, i'm not ignoring you guys... just taking a break from buying books for a while - and you guys are a bit of a bad influence :excited: ha ha ha.

i need a new house because all my book shelves are completely full and i have no room for new shelves (absolute truth). looking for one that i can put a library in. i will check in occasionally... and i'll BE BACK!

boomme-
Know that you have been missed! You are welcome any time, and it doesn't cost a bit to visit now and then.

Ari_Racing
10-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Terry! Nice to see you around! :) Don't get lost!

jhanic
10-18-2007, 03:30 PM
The auction for the Rush Limbaugh letter is now at $851,100 with 17 hours to go. This is especially amazing when you consider that Rush has promised to match the sale amount to the charity, the Marine Corps -- Law Enforcement Foundation!

By the way, you can download a free color copy of this four-page letter at:

http://download.premiereradio.net/guest/rushlimb/pdf/RushLimbaughSmearLetter.pdf

John

Patrick
10-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Come back and visit, Terry!

Good luck on the house search. I look forward to seeing photos of your fully-stocked new library in a year or so. :)

Asterisco
10-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Welcome Back Sir_Boomme!

Sir_Boomme
10-19-2007, 05:50 AM
The auction for the Rush Limbaugh letter is now at $851,100 with 17 hours to go. This is especially amazing when you consider that Rush has promised to match the sale amount to the charity, the Marine Corps -- Law Enforcement Foundation!

http://download.premiereradio.net/guest/rushlimb/pdf/RushLimbaughSmearLetter.pdf

John

daaaymn!

2.1 million and some change with 3+ hours to go

i wonder if rush fanthomed that this would go this high when he pledge to match the winning bid with a contribution of his own.
ah well... he's got the dough to do it.(and i'm sure he is always looking for an income tax write off)

i bet the high bidder is hillary clinton.... so she can get it back and burn it, then play like it never existed..... ha ha ha

wizardsrainbow
10-19-2007, 08:13 AM

John

daaaymn!

2.1 million and some change with 3+ hours to go

i wonder if rush fanthomed that this would go this high when he pledge to match the winning bid with a contribution of his own.
ah well... he's got the dough to do it.(and i'm sure he is always looking for an income tax write off)

i bet the high bidder is hillary clinton.... so she can get it back and burn it, then play like it never existed..... ha ha ha

Spoken like a true Texas Republican!

Asterisco
10-19-2007, 11:49 AM
2 millon dollars!??!?!?!?! WTF!!! I can't believe my eyes

Patrick
10-19-2007, 12:36 PM

John
I just read the version that you provided a link to. Thanks. By my read, they were looking for Clear Channel to "repudiate" Limbaugh's remark and asked Clear Channel to ask for an apology from Rush himself. Isn't that different from suggesting that he be censored?

In any case, I agree that it is pretty remarkable.

jhanic
10-19-2007, 12:46 PM
A group of governmental legislators asking that the "boss" of a private citizen repudiate his remarks and wants an apology is not considered undue pressure? It does in my book.

John

Patrick
10-19-2007, 01:34 PM
I just figured Rush's ego is so giant, that what consists of undue pressure to you or me would be no big deal to him.

jhanic
10-19-2007, 05:14 PM
That's true for sure! He is making a big deal about it, though!

John

Patrick
10-19-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm just glad "BettyC588" isn't an SK collector, she'd win all the auctions!

Rahfa
10-20-2007, 01:19 PM
Rush is a fairly vile, worthless person...however, the U.S. Senate needs to mind it's own business and not pressure an employer about free speech...

The power to 'censor' Rish should come from his listeners and whether or not they buy the products that advertise on his show...not from some phony repudiation...

In a better case of equally vile Ann Coulter, she just shouldn't be invited on to these shows to shill her products with her hatefulness...she can talk all she wants, but it's absurd for these channels to invite her on just so she can spew nonsense...in Rush's case, it's HIS show, so he can say whatever he wants.

But, the $2 mil for charity is pretty good...it's not really that significant...there's plenty of high-dollar philanthoprists out there; they just don't do their donations on ebay in the public eye...

Patrick
10-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I agree with everything you said, Rahfa.

jhanic
10-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Sorry you don't like Rush, Rahfa, but I don't agree with you regarding him. He seems a man of his (very) conservative convictions, leavened with a dose of humor. Ann Coulter, yes, she's only a provacateur (but think of James Carville during the Clinton presidency!) and not worth the time.

Also, since this discussion seems to be getting VERY far afield from the topic, maybe we should move it to another venue.

John

Patrick
10-21-2007, 03:21 PM
:lol: You're probably right, John. We'll move it to a standalone auction thread. :)

On a side note:

To his credit, I've heard Rush say a fair number of things I actually agree with.

Sir_Boomme
10-22-2007, 06:31 AM
well.... hadn't intended for it to become a political discussion... i just thought it was an interesting fun auction... but glad you guys moved it from the other thread. i would have originally made a separate thread for it, but i didn't expect my posting about the auction to get this much response :cowboy:.

i do respectfully disagree with rahfa here:

But, the $2 mil for charity is pretty good...it's not really that significant...there's plenty of high-dollar philanthoprists out there; they just don't do their donations on ebay in the public eye...

first... it wasn't 2 million, it was 2 million+100 thousand +100 dollars. how many people do you know that donate 100 thousand? so let's not ignore that.

plus, rush has promised to match the bid dollar for dollar... so this auction generated 4 million 200 thousand 100 dollars.

the marine corp-law enforcement foundation, founded in 1995, has received/distributed 29 million dollars in the 12 years since it was founded.
the auction .... plus rush's donation, in one week generated 14.5 percent the
the total amount distributed the previous 12 years.... i'd personally classify that as significant, at least to those families that will be helped by this money.
in addition, rush's auction has provided an incredible amount of national/international exposure for this charity.... something it couldn't have afforded without significantly dipping into their funds.... so you could make an argument that the $4.2 million donation could be double that amount, counting the free publicity received.

rush challanged his democrat counterparts to match his contribution, and while Harry Reid stood before the senate and tried to take partial credit for this charity auction (...yeah right) - he (or any other signatory senator) ,as far as i know, has yet to match even a single dollar.

rush is pompous, rush can be obnoxious, rush does have a big mouth, but at least rush puts his big money where his big mouth is. something i haven't seen harry reid (and party) do.

Matt
10-23-2007, 08:30 AM
So what was the final on this thing? My commute is over and I miss Rush everyday now.

As far as the man himself. He's the same as most men, I agree with a little, disagree with a lot.

Patrick
10-23-2007, 10:57 PM
So what was the final on this thing? My commute is over and I miss Rush everyday now.

As far as the man himself. He's the same as most men, I agree with a little, disagree with a lot.

Matt, the final bid was $2,100,100. That will be matched by Rush, so a total of $4,200,200 will go to the charity that Sir Boomme discusses above.

What happened to your commute? Are you working closer to home, or is TDT.com your full-time job now?

Matt
10-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm working about a 3rd of the distance from the house now so I don't get any of my right wing fanatic talk radio :(

Patrick
10-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Ah, poor Matt with his nice, short commute. :P

Matt
10-27-2007, 05:37 AM
:lol:

Yeah, I am really hard to please huh?

jhanic
10-27-2007, 06:37 AM
It's interesting that Rush, after pledging to match the auction, challenged ANY of the Democratic legislators to also donate something. Not one has responded.

John

Rahfa
10-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Do you honestly think they don't donate anything to charity, or would you be more impressed by naked pandering?

jhanic
10-27-2007, 11:48 AM
Nakedness always has appealed to me!

John

Telynn
10-27-2007, 12:26 PM
"When I spoke to Mark May, he and I thought this probably wouldn't make much money, a letter, written by Democrat Senators, complaining about something. This morning, the bid is more than two million for this. We've watched it during the week. It keeps going up, and up, and up. There's only a little bit of time left on it, but it certainly is going to be more than two million. Never did we think that this letter would bring money of this nature,"

"I don't know what we could do more important than helping to ensure that children of our fallen soldiers and police officers who have fallen in the line of duty have the opportunity for their children to have a good education."

Reid's quotes from the floor of the Senate about this letter auction.

We?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Rush fan. I think him and Michael Moore are two sides of the same coin. But he did score a big one with this.