PDA

View Full Version : The Collectible Neil Gaiman

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RC65
04-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting that pic...glad to finally see it. For no reason other than uninformed assumption, I had always thought that it had a dj that was different than the trade 1st -- like the recent 10th Anniversary slipcased edition, for example.

jhanic
04-15-2013, 12:30 PM
I have the UK 10th Anniversary s/l Coraline published by Bloomsbury available for $100 that includes shipping here in the US. PM me if interested. The book is still in its original shrink wrap, so I don't know what number it is.

John

cit74
04-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Here are the pics of the coraline versions - the signed UK one is relatively new and should be pretty inexpensive - although different artist (chris riddall - not Mckean) - those you can get for less than $100 - I think I bought it direct from the book depository in the UK for under $40 a few months back. As for the different versions here is a quick view:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/chadtarter/Gaiman/Books1_zpsc1d025ae.jpg (http://s287.photobucket.com/user/chadtarter/media/Gaiman/Books1_zpsc1d025ae.jpg.html)

and here is one of the elusive 177 signed copies as mentioned above (it came with the marbles)

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/chadtarter/Gaiman/Books196_zps06fb0745.jpg (http://s287.photobucket.com/user/chadtarter/media/Gaiman/Books196_zps06fb0745.jpg.html)

RC65
04-15-2013, 04:17 PM
jhanice, thanks for the offer, but I tend to see those go for around $50 or $60, so will need to pass. That is an edition, though, that I may look at again if my recent lead on the Sub Press edition doesn't pan out. My reason for passing on in thus far is that it was published *after* my daughter went through her intense devotional phase to the book and movie, so it seems just "not of" that phase in her life, so it doesn't quite do it for me. I know that probably doesn't make much sense to some, but it does to the parent and collector in me...so I'll likely just continue my focus on the Sub Press edition.

"it came with the marbles" -- that's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing the pics of the Coraline collection...much appreciated.

jhanic
04-15-2013, 05:10 PM
jhanice, thanks for the offer, but I tend to see those go for around $50 or $60, so will need to pass. That is an edition, though, that I may look at again if my recent lead on the Sub Press edition doesn't pan out. My reason for passing on in thus far is that it was published *after* my daughter went through her intense devotional phase to the book and movie, so it seems just "not of" that phase in her life, so it doesn't quite do it for me. I know that probably doesn't make much sense to some, but it does to the parent and collector in me...so I'll likely just continue my focus on the Sub Press edition.

"it came with the marbles" -- that's pretty neat. Thanks for sharing the pics of the Coraline collection...much appreciated.

No problem. Hope you get what you're after!

I bought the book in a moment of weakness (I don't collect Gaiman at all) but I don't want to lose money on it either.

John

WeDealInLead
04-16-2013, 06:39 AM
I won American Gods and Neverwhere on eBay for a cool $3 total. There was no mention of what printings the books were. I messaged the seller and he said both are first printings. If this transaction actually happens I will have Smoke and Mirrors, AG and Neverwhere. I'm on the fence about what else I should take: Fragile Things (UK edition, love that DJ) or Stardust. Anyone have an extra copy for sale?

Booknutt
04-16-2013, 06:44 AM
Keeping my fingers crossed that I might be able to work the signing here in Atlanta. If so, I'm hoping to be able to get more signed.

cit74
04-16-2013, 06:46 AM
I won American Gods and Neverwhere on eBay for a cool $3 total. There was no mention of what printings the books were. I messaged the seller and he said both are first printings. If this transaction actually happens I will have Smoke and Mirrors, AG and Neverwhere. I'm on the fence about what I should take: Fragile Things (UK edition, love that DJ) or Stardust. Anyone have an extra copy for sale?

Great job on the auction - hope it comes through. I was a bit confused - were you looking for copies of just fragile things and stardust? or the others as well.

WeDealInLead
04-16-2013, 07:01 AM
I still need Fragile Things and/or Stardust.

cit74
04-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed that I might be able to work the signing here in Atlanta. If so, I'm hoping to be able to get more signed.

Good luck with that - that would be very cool

cit74
04-17-2013, 05:12 AM
These are super cheap - the recently released s/l stardust for $61.44 bin - 4 left

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stardust-The-Gift-Edition-Deluxe-Signed-Limited-Gaiman-Neil-New-Books-/151029016720?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item232a07e890

cit74
04-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Just got my July schedule and found out I am off 6 July - when Neil comes back through NorCal that day. So i decided it will be a family outing - visit Charles Schultz museum during the day, dinner, and then book signing. I called the event to ask about signing rules - they said as many copies of Ocean at end of lane, then two other books - so that makes 8 books to bring (for the 4 of us).

If you are thinking of going to a signing double check the site and buy tickets soon:
http://www.neilgaiman.com/where/

Steph and I are also headed to the SF signing the week before - (this was planned first before knowing July schedule) - I just checked their ticket site and that event is already sold out

so by my math that will be 12 books - makes it a bit easier to decide what to bring - i might even have to bring the huge arse absolute sandman/death books....although i doubt it

RC65
04-18-2013, 07:09 PM
I sure would like to find a signed/limited HC of CORALINE (Subterranean Press)...it and the movie were my daughter's favorite book and film for a couple years, and so holds very special memories for me. I can't swing the $200 - $300 price tag I see on eBay, though, so the wait continues. I suppose I could just do a signed 1st, but I'd truly like to have the most special edition possible to commemorate what are, for me, very special memories.

Thanks to cit74 and a lead he offered me, I was able to snag a copy of the Sub Press S/L edition at a pretty decent price. :smile:

Booknutt
04-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Anybody else participating in Wourld Book Day? I'll be giving out Good Omens. If anyone here wants a copy, all I ask is that you cover postage. PM me if you're interested.

WeDealInLead
05-01-2013, 01:16 PM
For the Gaiman nerd/completist in you, Death standee, signed by both author and artist:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chris-Bachalo-and-Neil-Gaiman-Signed-Death-Standee-/190833501669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6e9025e5

Booknutt
05-04-2013, 08:09 AM
If anybody else wants a World Book Night copy of Good Omens let me know. I still have a few. All I ask is $3 to help cover postage and an envelope.

cit74
05-04-2013, 10:29 PM
If anybody else wants a World Book Night copy of Good Omens let me know. I still have a few. All I ask is $3 to help cover postage and an envelope.

I think you need to post this somewhere else on forum - everyone here (on gaiman thread) has or has read good omens - for $3 everyone else on the forum should read good omens - make them expand their horizons.

Booknutt
05-05-2013, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. What thread do you think would be best?

cit74
05-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Doh - got an email from one of Gaiman's upcoming tours:
"as many copies of “The Ocean At The End Of The Lane” as you'd like plus only one (1) other Gaiman title. Mr. Gaiman will not be signing any memorabilia."
Originally they had said 2 other books and changed it to 1 - now I've got to whittle it down to 6 books to get signed. Dang - and I just got a few 1st/1st of his early books.

Lookwhoitis
05-06-2013, 08:41 PM

I'll take one!

Booknutt
05-07-2013, 05:23 AM
Please PM me your address and I'll send you
My email for paypal. Thanks!

WeDealInLead
05-08-2013, 03:59 PM
"as many copies of “The Ocean At The End Of The Lane” as you'd like plus only one (1) other Gaiman title. Mr. Gaiman will not be signing any memorabilia."
Originally they had said 2 other books and changed it to 1 - now I've got to whittle it down to 6 books to get signed. Dang - and I just got a few 1st/1st of his early books.

I didn't even get the email. I happened to check his website and scrolled down through the listing and noticed the change. I bought two tickets BECAUSE it said The Ocean + TWO other books. I also bought a few first editions and was planning on taking four (my wife and I are both going) to have them inscribed. I'm still taking all four. I'll politely and respectully explain that the listing said + two originally and will ask him to sign them.

I probably would have passed if it said just one. I had to take a full day off work, gas and tolls will be around $60 and shipping for two books was nearly $40. I could've easily gotten them from eBay for that money.

cit74
05-08-2013, 05:05 PM

I didn't even get the email. I happened to check his website and scrolled down through the listing and noticed the change. I bought two tickets BECAUSE it said The Ocean + TWO other books. I also bought a few first editions and was planning on taking four (my wife and I are both going) to have them inscribed. I'm still taking all four. I'll politely and respectully explain that the listing said + two originally and will ask him to sign them.

I probably would have passed if it said just one. I had to take a full day off work, gas and tolls will be around $60 and shipping for two books was nearly $40. I could've easily gotten them from eBay for that money.

I will bring a few extra as well - figure if I see someone empty handed behind me maybe ask them to get one signed

Lookwhoitis
05-16-2013, 05:23 AM
is there a pre-signed publishers edition of TOatEotL like there was for Joe Hills book? Can you pre-order it? anyone have a link?

erxbooks
05-16-2013, 05:28 AM
Try this link

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Ocean-at-the-End-of-the-Lane/Gaiman-Neil/e/9780062280213/?itm=1&USRI=ocean+end+of+lane

ELazansky
05-16-2013, 05:34 AM
Yep, that's the one - Neil said he signed 10000 pages for this edition, some with doodles. He had some pics on WhoSay of his doodling

ELazansky
05-20-2013, 06:26 AM
New Gaiman S/L editions of Interworld and The Silver Dream now up for sale at Sub Press -

Announcing Two Limited Editions by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves

Much to our surprise, we've added a pair of Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves Limited Editions to our schedule: Interworld and its sequel, The Silver Dream. Long-time SubPress customers will note we did an edition of Interworld a number of years ago, but we've been asked to revisit it, this time illustrated by Jon Foster, who will also take on those duties for The Silver Dream. Please be aware that these books have do not have robust print runs, and will not be available to our wholesale or large online retail accounts.

About the Books.

The Silver Dream

Dust jacket and interior illustrations by Jon Foster.

After Mastering the ability to walk between dimensions, Joey helped save the Altiverse from destruction. But the rival powers-one of magic, one of science-who seek to control all worlds are still out there, and InterWorld's peacekeeping mission is far from finished.

When a stranger named Acacia does the impossible and follows Joey back to BaseTown, things get complicated. No one knows who she is or where she's from-or how she knows so much about InterWorld.

Dangerous times lie ahead for Joey and the mission. There's a traitor in the group of Freedom Fighters, and if Joey has any hope of saving Interworld, the Altiverse, and the mission, he's going to have to rely on his wits-and, just possibly, on the mysterious Acacia Jones.

The Silver Dream is a riveting sequel to Interworld, full of bravery, loyalty, time and space travel, and the future of a young man who is more powerful than he realizes.

The Silver Dream will be printed in two colors throughout, designed to match its prequel, Interworld.

Limited: 500 signed numbered hardcover copies: $60
Lettered: 26 signed leatherbound copies, housed in a custom traycase; $250

Interworld

Dust jacket and interior illustrations by Jon Foster.

An astounding tale of adventure, danger, magic, science, friendship, spaceships, and, oh yeah, the battle to save all the people in all the worlds in all possible dimensions.
Joey Harker isn't a hero.

In fact, he's the kind of guy who gets lost in his own house.

But one day, Joey gets really lost. He walks straight out of his world and into another dimension.

Joey's walk between worlds makes him prey to armies of magic and science, both determined to harness Joey's power to travel between the dimensions. The only thing standing in their way is Joey-or, more precisely, an army of Joey's, all from different dimensions and all determined to save the worlds.

Now Joey must make a choice: return to the life he knows or join the battle to the end.

Interworld will be printed in two colors throughout, designed to match its sequel, The Silver Dream.

Limited: 500 signed numbered hardcover copies: $60
Lettered: 26 signed leatherbound copies, housed in a custom traycase: $250

WeDealInLead
05-20-2013, 03:46 PM
If I understand the write up for (the trade of) The Silver Dream, the book is actually not even written by Neil Gaiman. I think he just provided the story outline.

ELazansky
05-20-2013, 03:57 PM
I believe you are correct. But I still can't pass up a Gaiman s/l for $60

cit74
05-20-2013, 04:00 PM
I am pretty sure that was the theme with interworld as well - never really written by Neil. I had held of on the original interworld for awhile - but decided to get the matching set today. Hopefully it is a good read. Oh and the Hogben chronicles met their initial funding on kickstarter - so looks like another Gaiman signed book in the future.

cit74
05-23-2013, 12:34 AM
2 free short stories:

Ebook (from fragile things)

http://www.harpercollins.com/books/How-Talk-Girls-Parties-Neil-Gaiman/?isbn=9780062293572?AA=books_SearchBooks_3417&utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2013.5.22%20Gaiman%20Bookperk%20(1)&utm_content=

Audio book - narrated by gaiman:

http://www.audible.com/pd?asin=B00CPQP02K

cit74
05-24-2013, 08:47 AM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2126085206/blood-kiss

Check out this new kickstarter link - not sure if you've seen this - they're trying to get a movie produced written by reaves (interworld, etc) and staring gaiman. There's a backer level of $207 with a lot of swag and signed item by gaiman - 16 of 23 left. Anyone thinking of doing this? Just curious. 21 days left.

Patrick
05-25-2013, 12:05 PM
I pledged to both this movie project and the book project that will include a Gaiman-signed book. We'll see what comes of it all.

cit74
05-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Well the book is definitely a go - at least they got the funding - who knows when it'll be produced though...

Patrick
05-27-2013, 02:30 PM
Email received yesterday:

Thanks to you, The Hogben Chronicles of Henry Kuttner by Borderlands Press has been successfully funded!

Congratulations!

Thanks to you and 604 other backers, The Hogben Chronicles of Henry Kuttner has been successfully funded. We will now charge your credit card.

Pledge Summary
Amount pledged: $125.00
Reward: High quality Hardcover Limited Edition of The Hogben Chronicles edited by Pierce Watters and F. Paul Wilson, With an Introduction by Neil Gamain. This book is SIGNED by the editors and Neil Gaiman. Full color poster of the original cover by Steve Parkhurst. Plus a set of frame-able prints of the b&w interior illustrations by Steve Parkhurst.
Estimated delivery: Aug 2013
Shipping:

When your reward is ready, Borderlands Press will send you a survey via email to request any info needed to deliver your reward (mailing address, T-shirt size, etc).

If you'd like to visit the project page, click here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/195826489/the-hogben-chronicles-of-henry-kuttner?ref=email

ELazansky
05-27-2013, 03:38 PM
I got my survey from them this morning - I also ordered the Limited Edition.

mikeC
05-29-2013, 05:47 AM
Anyone get to read the new one yet? Ocean.

Booknutt
05-29-2013, 06:13 AM

Yeah. It's beautifully written but I'm not sure if I really understood it.

cit74
05-29-2013, 09:50 AM

Yeah. It's beautifully written but I'm not sure if I really understood it.

That's a ringing endorsement....do you think you'd read it again to see how it went the second time around?

Booknutt
05-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Probably. Wouldn't mind listening to the audiobook sometime. Depending on whether Gaiman is reading it or not.

mikeC
05-29-2013, 12:23 PM
He is indeed. They just released a Smoke and Mirrors with Gaiman as the narrator.

EXPLORER
05-30-2013, 05:54 AM
Neil Gaiman will speak about his upcoming novels with a Q&A from the audience at the BOOKEXPO AMERICA Sat June 1, 2013
http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/Show-Info/Authors-and-Books/#page=other-author-events

Lookwhoitis
06-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Even though someone was so kind as to point me in the right direction for the Barnes & Noble signed copy of The Ocean at the End of the Lane, I was unable to get my ducks in a row in time to order one before they sold out. :mad:

If anyone bought multiple copies and is willing to pass one along, please hit me up. Thanks! :rose:

harrison ryan
06-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Even though someone was so kind as to point me in the right direction for the Barnes & Noble signed copy of The Ocean at the End of the Lane, I was unable to get my ducks in a row in time to order one before they sold out. :mad:

If anyone bought multiple copies and is willing to pass one along, please hit me up. Thanks! :rose:

It looks like they may still be available here (http://www.portersquarebooks.com/pre-order-signed-copy-ocean-end-lane).

cit74
06-02-2013, 07:51 PM

It looks like they may still be available here (http://www.portersquarebooks.com/pre-order-signed-copy-ocean-end-lane).

But I'm not sure these are the "tipped in" books - since he is doing a signing on 13 July in association with porter books - they might just be the regular editions - I would call first.

Booknutt
06-03-2013, 06:51 AM
I may end up with an extra signed copy after the June 22nd signing here. Since I had already preordered from B&N before I knew he was coming to Atlanta.

WeDealInLead
06-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Looking for fine copies of Neverwhere and American Gods. I have them already but they're not in fine condition.

Joe315
06-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Any one here interested in the Goldsboro Books S/L of The Ocean at the End of the Lane? I should get my copy in July. If anyone is interested and would like a certain number I can put in a request. And as I won't have this in hand until July payment is not required until then.

Joe315
06-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Sold!

Any one here interested in the Goldsboro Books S/L of The Ocean at the End of the Lane? I should get my copy in July. If anyone is interested and would like a certain number I can put in a request. And as I won't have this in hand until July payment is not required until then.

ELazansky
06-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Don't know if anyone needs a copy, but you can get the S/L of Stardust for $44.99, which is down from the retail price of $150. Shipping to the US included:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Stardust-Gift-Edition-Deluxe-Signed-Limited-Neil-Gaiman/9780062220837

Lookwhoitis
06-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Don't know if anyone needs a copy, but you can get the S/L of Stardust for $44.99, which is down from the retail price of $150. Shipping to the US included:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Stardust-Gift-Edition-Deluxe-Signed-Limited-Neil-Gaiman/9780062220837

Thankee sai! :rose:

Lookwhoitis
06-08-2013, 06:51 PM
I may end up with an extra signed copy after the June 22nd signing here. Since I had already preordered from B&N before I knew he was coming to Atlanta.

Lemme know if you'd like to part with it. I guess I have gotten the collectors fever since joining this site. I want a signed by Neil in person from an event copy AND a tipped in B&N Copy. lol

Booknutt
06-09-2013, 06:42 AM

Lemme know if you'd like to part with it. I guess I have gotten the collectors fever since joining this site. I want a signed by Neil in person from an event copy AND a tipped in B&N Copy. lol

Will do.

swintek
06-09-2013, 10:06 PM

Thankee sai! :rose:

Ditto!

Booknutt
06-11-2013, 01:45 PM
http://www.mystgalaxy.com/neil-gaimans-ocean-end-lane?utm_source=June+11%2C+2013&utm_campaign=061113&utm_medium=email

cit74
06-11-2013, 02:13 PM
here is an interview about the book - and the person doing the interview is Joe Hill - I am waiting to read the book first before reading the interview. Looks like Joe got an advanced copy. So I am bookmarking it for now.

http://www.omnivoracious.com/2013/06/uncharted-waters-joe-hill-explores-neil-gaimans-the-ocean-at-the-end-of-the-lane.html

ELazansky
06-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Anyone know about this edition - some guy has one on eBay for GBP 465.00 -- the list price is 250 GBP, but I can't afford another $400 book purchase right now *sigh* There are too many "signed limited" editions now -- the US slipcased one, the Goldsboro edition, and now this one.

Here are some exclusive photos of what's inside the Super Deluxe Edition of OCEAN...

The full list of features are:

- Special limited edition of 260
- Individually signed and numbered
- Cloth slipcase with silver foil blocked bucket motif on front and back
- Quarterbound hardcover
- Leather spine with silver foil blocking on spine and front
- Light blue sprayed edges
- Head and tail bands
- Ribbon
- 2 colour throughout
- 4 colour endpapers
- 4 colour frontispiece
- Unabridged audio edition on 5 CDs, read by Neil Gaiman
- 15 transparent, illustrated pages throughout
- ‘Creating the world of Ocean At The End of the Lane’, author Q and A
- 25 pages from author’s notebooks

Available direct from Headline for £250

Call us on 01235 827702 or email mailorder@bookpoint.co.uk with your contact details, and we will call you back

Booknutt
06-13-2013, 12:31 PM
That's the UK super deluxe, shiny, makes you coffee, limited edition. Basically the UK publisher's equivalent to Harper's SUPER duper, shiny, makes you waffles limited edition.

cit74
06-13-2013, 02:03 PM
We need a new waffle maker....I sent an email just to see what was available

ELazansky
06-13-2013, 02:03 PM
I like waffles better than coffee :biggrin:

But seriously, other than the transparent illustrated pages which sounds interesting, I can't justify $400 for this edition. I'm sure 260 people will disagree with me and buy one at issue price. I'll be bargain hunting for one later on.

cit74
06-13-2013, 02:06 PM
I think the 2-3 copies of this book will be plenty, plus you can get the audio version much cheaper as an aside - if you like. Only about 2 more weeks until his tour hits the west coast.

ELazansky
06-13-2013, 02:09 PM
So much for Goldsboro's advertising - "Goldsboro Books will have the UK EXCLUSIVE slipcase edition."

Not so exclusive anymore...

Joe315
06-13-2013, 10:36 PM
There are pictures on Gaimans or the books Facebook page. Very cool looking book

https://www.facebook.com/TheOceanAtTheEndOfTheLane/photos_stream

cit74
06-14-2013, 05:58 AM
So I actually called the publisher this morning - and you cannot purchase over the phone for the US - only available if you live in UK. However, they will email me any more details - so if anything interesting I will post it here

ELazansky
06-14-2013, 06:12 AM
I love collecting Gaiman books, but $400 is a bit much for this edition, especially when you can find the Hill House books for less, and they are a much higher quality. If I could eventually get it for a good price, I will, but not right now.

cit74
06-14-2013, 06:18 AM
I love collecting Gaiman books, but $400 is a bit much for this edition, especially when you can find the Hill House books for less, and they are a much higher quality. If I could eventually get it for a good price, I will, but not right now.

It would be a lot easier if you were closer to Nor Cal - to beat me over the head when I make attempts to purchase these books and say - slow down a bit there...especially when it comes to a book I have not read yet (and not sure where I would place it amongst my favorite gaiman titles) - so thanks for some sound reasoning.

ELazansky
06-14-2013, 06:27 AM

It would be a lot easier if you were closer to Nor Cal - to beat me over the head when I make attempts to purchase these books and say - slow down a bit there...especially when it comes to a book I have not read yet (and not sure where I would place it amongst my favorite gaiman titles) - so thanks for some sound reasoning.

When I first started collecting, I used to buy everything. Now, I get a little more picky. For example, I skipped buying The Dark Man for $450 because I did not think it was worth it for what I would be getting. I also didn't buy Blockade Billy for the same reason. Normally, Gaiman books are a lot less, so getting them all is usually no problem. But even for Neil, I gotta step back on this one. Like I tell my kids, just because I can afford to buy something doesn't mean I should.

Patrick
06-14-2013, 08:28 PM
If it were the only S/L edition, I'd buy it. Since I already have the Morrow S/L on order, I can't convince myself to fork over the $400 for this nicer edition. I can download the audio from Audible.com for about ten bucks, so even the CD's don't add value for me.

EDIT: I just checked my email records. It appears that I failed to order the Goldsboro UK S/L (the one that cost 30 pounds). If anyone is getting an extra that you want to unload, please let me know. Thanks.

swintek
06-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Wow- this UK Ltd, does look stunning! Won't be getting this either- just too much. Got the US Ltd on order and was pretty excited about it. But this kinda puts a damper on the US edition now. To be honest, I haven't been thrilled with what we've seen of the design of the US so far. No such reservations about the UK edition. It looks like a rival in quality to the HH Anansi Boys (Finest book in my collection). If it were $250...

Clacke
06-17-2013, 04:37 AM
Anybody looking for a straightforward (ie: non limited edition :wink: ) signed UK first edition, Goldsboro have them for sale now - very reasonably priced £16.99.

http://www.goldsborobooks.com/books/the-ocean-at-the-end-of-the-lane-neil-gaiman-signed-first-edition-3721.html

Booknutt
06-17-2013, 06:43 AM
No, but I like your avatar. Great game, I'm about 2-3 hours into it.

WeDealInLead
06-18-2013, 04:41 AM
Cool Gaiman news: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/17/new-neverwhere-from-neil-gaiman-and-sandman-in-a-flower/

I won't ruin it for you, just read the article. Hint: great news for fans of Neverwhere.

cit74
06-18-2013, 06:01 AM
Cool Gaiman news: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/17/new-neverwhere-from-neil-gaiman-and-sandman-in-a-flower/

I won't ruin it for you, just read the article. Hint: great news for fans of Neverwhere.

Doubt this will ruin it either - here is the author/story list for the upcoming anthology - bantam books

ROGUES ANTHOLOGY DELIVERED TO BANTAM
MAY 13, 2013
Gardner Dozois and George RR Martin have delivered the completed manuscript for the latest big cross-genre anthologies, ROGUES, to their editor at Bantam Spectra.

The lineup of contributors, and their terrific stories are listed below.

The table of contents:

George R.R. Martin “Everybody Loves a Rogue” (Introduction)

Joe Abercrombie “Tough Times All Over”

Gillian Flynn “What Do You Do?”

Matthew Hughes “The Inn of the Seven Blessings”

Joe R. Lansdale “Bent Twig”

Michael Swanwick “Tawny Petticoats”

David Ball “Provenance”

Carrie Vaughn “The Roaring Twenties”

Scott Lynch “A Year and a Day in Old Theradane”

Bradley Denton “Bad Brass”

Cherie Priest “Heavy Metal”

Daniel Abraham “The Meaning of Love”

Paul Cornell “A Better Way to Die”

Steven Saylor “Ill Seen in Tyre”

Garth Nix “A Cargo of Ivories”

Walter Jon Williams “Diamonds From Tequila”

Phyllis Eisenstein “The Caravan to Nowhere”

Lisa Tuttle “The Curious Affair of the Dead Wives”

Neil Gaiman “How the Marquis Got His Coat Back”

Connie Willis “Now Showing”

Patrick Rothfuss “The Lightning Tree”

There’s something for everyone in ROGUES — SF, mystery, historical fiction, epic fantasy, sword and sorcery, comedy, tragedy, crime stories, mainstream, as well as rogues, cads, scalawags, con men, thieves, and scoundrels of all descriptions.

So keep an eye out for the newest Anthology coming soon from Bantam Books, ROGUES.

Posted in Book News, News.

Patrick
06-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Cool, thanks, guys.

Wish there were an S/L edition. :unsure:

Lauterer
06-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Anybody looking for a straightforward (ie: non limited edition :wink: ) signed UK first edition, Goldsboro have them for sale now - very reasonably priced £16.99.

http://www.goldsborobooks.com/books/the-ocean-at-the-end-of-the-lane-neil-gaiman-signed-first-edition-3721.html

Thank you very much... Ordered one and my first signed Gaiman! :belial:

mistercrowley
06-19-2013, 02:40 AM
So I inquired about the uber deluxe s/l and was sent the following

Dear James,

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately the 'Ocean Deluxe Edition' is Market Restricted in the United States and Canada so we are unable to supply copies to this country. Please accept my apologies as I am unable to help on this occasion.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards
Chantelle
Direct Customer Services
Tel: (+44) 01235 827702
Fax: (+44) 01235 400401

Email: chantelle.hardy@bookpoint.co.uk

Shannon
06-19-2013, 05:12 AM
I love Delirium. She's my favorite. :)

ELazansky
06-19-2013, 06:05 AM
So I inquired about the uber deluxe s/l and was sent the following

Dear James,

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately the 'Ocean Deluxe Edition' is Market Restricted in the United States and Canada so we are unable to supply copies to this country. Please accept my apologies as I am unable to help on this occasion.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards
Chantelle
Direct Customer Services
Tel: (+44) 01235 827702
Fax: (+44) 01235 400401

Email: chantelle.hardy@bookpoint.co.uk

Well that is certainly interesting. I am sure this book will do the same thing that Neil's books tend to do - initially, folks will be selling them on eBay for close to double the issue price. Then the frenzy will die down and the prices will come back down to earth at or below retail. At least that is what I am hoping. So for now, I will be happy with the US S/L and the Goldsboro S/L editions.

cit74
06-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Has anyone heard/read/have a copy of who killed Amanda Palmer? That's Neil's wife - but written before they got married - actually early on when they first met. It has stories (mostly short - about his take on her pictures) all written by Neil - it was in short limitation (10k printed in 2009).

ELazansky
06-19-2013, 07:23 AM
Has anyone heard/read/have a copy of who killed Amanda Palmer? That's Neil's wife - but written before they got married - actually early on when they first met. It has stories (mostly short - about his take on her pictures) all written by Neil - it was in short limitation (10k printed in 2009).

I have heard of it, but I was never able to get one. Every time I see a copy, it is going for 200-300 dollars. Not worth it for me since it is unsigned. 10000 copies is a small run, but not small enough to justify that price in my mind.

ELazansky
06-19-2013, 11:43 AM
I love when UPS rings the door bell:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Snapbucket/1DF0AF44-orig_zpsc25c11c5.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Snapbucket/792614A4-orig_zps0cf6f235.jpg

cit74
06-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Very Nice - now you just need a special one signed to Eric:rock:

Speaking of which I will be headed to 2 of the sold out signings here in NorCal - so if you need one inscribed PM me - I already have a couple of people on the list including Eric and Neil; possibly Patrick if we cannot meet up in Santa Rosa

WeDealInLead
06-19-2013, 12:01 PM
My signed copy from B&N has been delayed. I'm afraid they over-sold their allotment and ran out. Fingers crossed.

cit74
06-19-2013, 12:35 PM
i got shipping notification yesterday from B&N - so hoping they arrive

cit74
06-19-2013, 01:09 PM
And the formality begins- just part of the email I received today:

Neil will be signing books, beginning about five minutes after the program ends, on the stage.
Small sections of the audience will be called; relax, meet one another, visit the bar -- and read! -- while you're waiting.
Neil will be personalizing copies of the new book. Please do not prepare your own sticky note with the name to be inscribed; we'll need to do this for you, so that all names are in the same block letters (appreciated by Neil). Please understand that Neil won't have time to add specific salutations or dedications.
You may have as many copies of Ocean at the End of the Lane signed as you wish.
You may have one other Neil Gaiman title, purchased from us or brought from home. No memorabilia will be signed, per Neil's request.
The signing will last as long as it takes to accommodate everyone!

So a tad bit different than the last 3 signings I've been at this year - still cannot wait.

Patrick
06-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Chad.

As far as as the WHO KILLED..., Neil signed a few of those in SF when I saw him, but the store only had 3 copies. He read from the book and also told the story of how that book project got the two together. Amanda showed up during the event and may have signed those books as well.

cit74
06-19-2013, 05:23 PM
That sounds like a fun event - but by the sounds of it you weren't able to get any of those copies?

Merlin1958
06-19-2013, 05:35 PM

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Snapbucket/1DF0AF44-orig_zpsc25c11c5.jpg
http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Snapbucket/792614A4-orig_zps0cf6f235.jpg

Congrats!! I received a copy just like this in the mail the other day. I didn't order it to my knowledge and I am wondering who my benefactor may be??????

cit74
06-19-2013, 05:54 PM

Congrats!! I received a copy just like this in the mail the other day. I didn't order it to my knowledge and I am wondering who my benefactor may be??????

Are you sure that you're not just forgetful amidst the barrage of king and hill books in the past few months - and just got caught up and placed a few more orders???

Merlin1958
06-19-2013, 05:57 PM

Are you sure that you're not just forgetful amidst the barrage of king and hill books in the past few months - and just got caught up and placed a few more orders???

Good point, but I generally only collect a very select few authors. Mostly King, Tolkien and Blatty. I would have remembered this. Someone did the HF Whore a "solid". Thank you, whoever you are!!!

cit74
06-19-2013, 06:03 PM
I can't take the credit for that one...I think I know why Gaiman won't be doing anymore book tours - check out this link and the variety of pictures - and the 2000-3000 books he signed in the past few days

http://www.whosay.com/neilgaiman/photos/360476?wsref=em-90-0-20130619-2-2--gDaSVZ5EK0RSPhvNwepRxw

becca69
06-19-2013, 06:18 PM
My signed copy from B&N has been delayed. I'm afraid they over-sold their allotment and ran out. Fingers crossed.

Mysterious Galaxy has them: http://www.mystgalaxy.com/neil-gaimans-ocean-end-lane?utm_source=June+11%2C+2013&utm_campaign=061113&utm_medium=email

Patrick
06-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks, Chad.

As far as as the WHO KILLED..., Neil signed a few of those in SF when I saw him, but the store only had 3 copies. He read from the book and also told the story of how that book project got the two together. Amanda showed up during the event and may have signed those books as well.

That sounds like a fun event - but by the sounds of it you weren't able to get any of those copies?
You are correct. This was almost four years ago, but if you are interested, my full recounting is posted in the Neil Gaiman thread in the Mansion sub-forum of the Dutch Hill forum. There is some earlier build-up to the event posted, but my real starry-eyed blathering starts here:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?374-The-Neil-Gaiman-thread&p=419998&viewfull=1#post419998

becca69
06-20-2013, 02:19 PM
My signed Ocean came today. It's much smaller than I thought it would be.

Randall Flagg
06-20-2013, 02:41 PM
My signed Ocean came today. It's much smaller than I thought it would be.
More the size of a "sea" than an "Ocean"?

becca69
06-20-2013, 03:46 PM
A lake maybe?

Merlin1958
06-20-2013, 03:56 PM
a pond

cit74
06-20-2013, 07:44 PM
My two seas came in as well (no doodles though). Btw if anyone is looking for who killed Amanda Palmer (the book) - forbidden planet has them for 30 gbp (and about 14 gbp for shipping). I know that's a little late after a bunch of people just ordered from there - sorry.

http://forbiddenplanet.com/?q=Who+killed+Amanda+palmer

Patrick - thanks for the link to your 2009 gaiman signing - fun read - and great batman art

tippy4
06-20-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm going to see Gaiman next week, and am really looking forward to it.

Truth is, I've never read anything of his, and my only exposure to him is the Movie Coraline and an episode or two of Doctor Who that he wrote.

I've read some good reviews of his new book, and there is quite a bit of enthusiasm here about him....so as I said...looking forward to it!

Patrick
06-20-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks, Chad.

Rick, I look forward to hearing your impressions afterward.

cit74
06-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Anyone have any idea when Smoke and Mirrors from Sub Press is due? Their website says March 2010. I hate to pre-order it if the book isn't going to come out for years...

Eric, I asked Bill about this in mid-January.

Q:How is Smoke & Mirrors coming along?
Site still lists a pub date of March 2010.

A:We're waiting for Dave McKean, and expect him to resume work on the book in April/May.

Karl

I was just going through some old posts and figured it was time to update this one again - you know more than two years later. Holy crap - I guess I'm new to this and had not realized how LONG some of these books (and our money) hang in limbo:

Dave McKean has just turned in another pair of illustrations for our Signed, Limited Edition of Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors. He's due back in his studio shortly, and tells us that he plans to work on this exclusively until the project is finished.

Thanks to everyone for the patience. This project has taken far longer than any of us anticipated, but if you'll check out the dozen images we've posted to the book's page, we think you'll agree it will end up being worth the wait.

That was from 12 June 2013. You'd think they'd give buyers some money back if they preordered years in advance and waited patiently....

Joe315
06-22-2013, 12:09 AM
I don't like having to pay in advance. I'd rather have my card charged upon shipment, but I guess this is how small presses have to work.

Booknutt
06-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Ok so it's Gaiman signing day in the ATL.
I narrowed the extra book I'm getting signed to a copy of Ghastly Beyond Belief.
And I'm also taking copies of my Good Omens ARC, my UK 1st of Don't Panic (with page 42 blank.) and my Stardust ARC. In case others around me only have 1 book.
I'm tempted to take my Duran Duran book. But it's not in great shape.

cit74
06-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Ok so it's Gaiman signing day in the ATL.
I narrowed the extra book I'm getting signed to a copy of Ghastly Beyond Belief.
And I'm also taking copies of my Good Omens ARC, my UK 1st of Don't Panic (with page 42 blank.) and my Stardust ARC. In case others around me only have 1 book.
I'm tempted to take my Duran Duran book. But it's not in great shape.

Let us know how that goes - I am planning on bringing 2-3 extra books as well

Booknutt
06-22-2013, 07:19 PM
It went good. Got Ghastly signed. And Neil seemed genuinely surprised to see a copy of it.
And behind a girl was able to get my Good Omens ARC signed.

cit74
06-22-2013, 07:58 PM
I will have to bring my copy of ghastly along as well :) - was he only flat signing anything else besides Ocean?

Booknutt
06-22-2013, 08:36 PM
You could get one item personalized.

Br!an
06-23-2013, 04:51 AM

Abes Books has two listed. One signed by Amanda Palmer at $225 and one signed by her, Neil Gaiman, and Beth Hommel at $500.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?fe=on&tn=who+killed+Amanda+Palmer

ELazansky
06-23-2013, 04:57 AM
It went good. Got Ghastly signed. And Neil seemed genuinely surprised to see a copy of it.

That's cool. He's probably so used to signing the same books, like Neverwhere and Stardust, over and over again. Ghastly probably threw him for a loop. Probably not too many out there signed.

ELazansky
06-23-2013, 04:59 AM
Anyone have any idea when Smoke and Mirrors from Sub Press is due? Their website says March 2010. I hate to pre-order it if the book isn't going to come out for years...

Eric, I asked Bill about this in mid-January.

Q:How is Smoke & Mirrors coming along?
Site still lists a pub date of March 2010.

A:We're waiting for Dave McKean, and expect him to resume work on the book in April/May.

Karl

I was just going through some old posts and figured it was time to update this one again - you know more than two years later. Holy crap - I guess I'm new to this and had not realized how LONG some of these books (and our money) hang in limbo:

Dave McKean has just turned in another pair of illustrations for our Signed, Limited Edition of Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors. He's due back in his studio shortly, and tells us that he plans to work on this exclusively until the project is finished.

Thanks to everyone for the patience. This project has taken far longer than any of us anticipated, but if you'll check out the dozen images we've posted to the book's page, we think you'll agree it will end up being worth the wait.

That was from 12 June 2013. You'd think they'd give buyers some money back if they preordered years in advance and waited patiently....

I'm still not pre-ordering this one. I'll wait until it actually comes out before I buy. I have too much money tied up in pre-orders right now.

cit74
06-23-2013, 08:38 AM
TwistedNadine has my copy of Don't Panic - so I will see if it gets signed - I have pg 42 flagged to see if he will sign that page too

WeDealInLead
06-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Just paid for another copy of American Gods. The one I bought last month ended up with Goodwill. This board has turned me into a slob. The old me would've kept the book, at least as a reading copy. This me saw the spine lean, though "F that" and the book is gone.

I'm taking American Gods and Smoke & Mirrors as the first choice for signing. I'm also taking Stardust, Fragile Things, Neverwhere and Stories. It's my wife and me so two are guaranteed. I'll keep an eye out for people with just one book and see if I can get the rest signed.

Patrick
06-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Nice!

I have no idea what to take on July 6th. Most of my Gaiman books are signed editions. There are lots that I don't own, I think I need to buy something to take with me.

Booknutt
06-24-2013, 09:25 AM
There are ARC's of Fortunately The Milk on eBay. But most are signed already.

fearless-freak
06-24-2013, 09:41 AM
seems there's gonna be a documentary on Neil Gaiman

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3239723/neil-gaiman-to-be-the-subject-of-sequarts-new-documentary/

ELazansky
06-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Nice!

I have no idea what to take on July 6th. Most of my Gaiman books are signed editions. There are lots that I don't own, I think I need to buy something to take with me.

Get a copy of Make Good Art - it only came out a few weeks ago, so I'm sure he hasn't signed many of them.

TwistedNadine
06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Get a copy of Make Good Art - it only came out a few weeks ago, so I'm sure he hasn't signed many of them.

This is one the signed books Tippy and I will be getting at the event on Thursday.

cit74
06-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Nice!

Don't worry I will be bringing extra books with me just in case...:evil:

harrison ryan
06-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Neil will be here in Lex on 7/11. Here's what I'm bringing:

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss27/starkoryan81/Abso_Death.jpg~original

And my new copy of The Ocean At the Etc., of course.

tippy4
06-25-2013, 07:38 PM

This is one the signed books Tippy and I will be getting at the event on Thursday.

Chad...they sent out a list of rules for the signing....TN and I will do our best to take care of you, but it's not looking like we will get them all signed.

cit74
06-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Damn rules...what are they good for. No problem -thanks in advance for any help. what if you wore disguises :cool_002:

TwistedNadine
06-26-2013, 07:22 AM
Tippy and I will be going to the hour long reception in addition to the signing so hopefully we'll get a few signed there.
And before the reception
And after the event.
We're going to do the Explorer stalking thing.

cit74
06-27-2013, 06:41 AM
heading to the signing in a few days - lat call if anyone else out there wants me to pick up an inscribed copy. PM if interested.

ELazansky
06-27-2013, 12:53 PM
I saw some pictures of the Goldsboro version of Ocean from a seller on eBay. It looks nice, kind of like that super deluxe edition, but not quite as fancy. Goldsboro shows that it is on its way as we speak. Hope to get it soon.

Patrick
06-27-2013, 12:59 PM
Tippy and I will be going to the hour long reception in addition to the signing so hopefully we'll get a few signed there.
And before the reception
And after the event.
We're going to do the Explorer stalking thing.
There's a reception at your event? I'm jealous.

Lauterer
06-27-2013, 02:00 PM
I saw some pictures of the Goldsboro version of Ocean from a seller on eBay. It looks nice, kind of like that super deluxe edition, but not quite as fancy. Goldsboro shows that it is on its way as we speak. Hope to get it soon.

Today i was able to buy one of the goldsboro 700 printrun books. i thought they were already sold, but the book is book of the month July. After i bought o returned to the orderside, but was not able to order one more...? Are they sold or not?

ELazansky
06-27-2013, 02:25 PM

Today i was able to buy one of the goldsboro 700 printrun books. i thought they were already sold, but the book is book of the month July. After i bought o returned to the orderside, but was not able to order one more...? Are they sold or not?

They have been Sold Out from Goldsboro for at least a month or two.

Lauterer
06-27-2013, 03:05 PM

So someone probably cancelled the order, because i ordered today and got the order-confirmation... WELLDONE @ ME...^^

cit74
06-27-2013, 04:39 PM

So someone probably cancelled the order, because i ordered today and got the order-confirmation... WELLDONE @ ME...^^

Luck you :)

Randall Flagg
06-27-2013, 05:42 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1372383674-tippy%20and%20gaimen.jpg

Patrick
06-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Awesome! I am so happy for you guys, Rick and TN! Wish I were there!

ELazansky
06-28-2013, 07:49 AM
PS Publishing is selling the Super Deluxe Edition of Ocean, the one that Headline would not ship to the us, for 249 GBP - still a little too rich for me at the moment. The fact that they have 100 copies of them leads me to believe that Headline did not sell too many of them. http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/the-ocean-at-the-end-of-the-lane-signed-slipcased-by-neil-gaiman-1835-p.asp

TwistedNadine
06-28-2013, 07:58 AM
I got a heart doodle with my personalization. Sweet

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Gaiman_June_27_2013_071.jpg

jhanic
06-28-2013, 08:06 AM
Nice, TN!

John

chrise
06-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Signed limited of Stardust for $19.99!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stardust-The-Gift-Edition-Deluxe-Signed-Limited-Gaiman-Neil-New-Book-/261225528909?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3cd2413e4d

mistercrowley
06-28-2013, 10:16 AM
I nay have to snap up that ultra special edition. It looks gorgeous

cit74
06-28-2013, 10:44 AM
With PS having bought 100 copies of the deluxe Ocean - I agree with Eric - in that it was not selling too briskly. I gotta imagine that they will have a "sale" on this one down the road and hopefully we can get it a lot cheaper. I will keep reading their newsletters to see if/when this happens.

getting ready to head out in a couple of hours to goto the signing tonight - from the sounds of last night I will need to bring food, water, and shelter with me (maybe even a fan)

TwistedNadine
06-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Definitely a fan. Pick up one of those small battery operated ones and bring extra batteries. The only air conditioning we got all day and night was during the reception and then in the bar. For some reason no AC during the entire talk and signing. Brutal.

mistercrowley
06-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah if it goes on sale please message me and let me know

cit74
06-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Just got my UK slipcased s/n (#288) Ocean today from Goldsboro as well as a copy of Who killed Amanda Palmer - I will post some pics in a few days.

Booknutt
06-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Nice!

cit74
06-28-2013, 01:28 PM
I meant 288 - not sure how the emoticon made his way in there

jhanic
06-28-2013, 02:37 PM
You have to put a space between the 8 and the ) or else it's converted to the emoticon.

John

cit74
06-29-2013, 01:13 AM
well its 0200 and we just got home - what a long f'in night. left to goto the city around 4pm - got down around 530 - had to do a little shopping to make my wife happy - doors open at 6 for 7pm start time. we get over there around 610 and the line is around the block. not too long of a wait - in our seats by 630 - but already up in the mezzanine. i was able to get a second book (both first printings - everything was). And Gaiman's reading (a long one) was wonderful - started about 715. Then he went through some Q&A - you had a chance to write down questions for him to answer (I was in the bathroom when these went around). After some questions he read a bit from his upcoming children's book - fortunately the milk - which was very funny (reminded me of hitchhikers guide - almost an homage to douglas adams). That finished around 830 - then the signing started - or the waiting for us. We didn't get our books signed until close to 11pm - or later - probably closer to 1130. However, the couple in front of us only had a copy of the ocean - so i was able to get them to get two more books signed 8) - one was his miracleman book 4 HC and Lenore book #3 (a very dark and funny comic book - which he had written the intro to). I will just wait until next week to post all of the new signed books - since there will be at least 5 more. Goodnight - i am beat.
(thanks about the 8) - I learned something new)

cit74
06-29-2013, 02:34 AM
As I mentioned earlier neil read a bit of fortunately, the milk - from what he read it was very silly and fun. Reminded me of Douglas Adams and hitchhiker s guide to the galaxy. Anyway I got curious and searched it out on UK amazon site (I had already pre-ordered the us version). Well the uk book was a little more, has a different illustrator - Chris Riddell and is over 30 pages longer - I was intrigued so I ordered a copy. Here's the link if you like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fortunately-Milk/dp/1408841762/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372501692&sr=8-1&keywords=fortunately+the+milk

Patrick
06-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Sounds like everyone is having a long night when they go see Neil. Glad it was fun though!

Nice signed book, TN!

Randall Flagg
06-29-2013, 01:45 PM
You have to put a space between the 8 and the ) or else it's converted to the emoticon.

John

(thanks about the 8) - I learned something new)
You can also "Go Advanced" on your post and click on the "Disable Smilies" option.

WeDealInLead
06-29-2013, 04:11 PM
More dates added at neilgaiman.com. I'll be going to the Toronto signing in August too.

cit74
06-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Okay - now this is interesting: Subpress just announced that they are carrying the ultimate Ocean as well - and that they have 40 copies. So between PS and SubPress they have 140 of the 260 copies - of a s/n that was on the market almost 2 weeks ago. Doesn't that show that they missed the original mark with the price point? The fact that more than 1/2 were sent to other publishers to try and sell - and if they bought them for close to that price (who knows) - how much will they be willing to drop the price to get them to sell. The subpress price is $450. I think these have to drop at least another $100-150 to sell. Anyway - just wanted to update.

Here is the subpress link:
http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/the_ocean_at_the_end_of_the_lane_uk_signed_limited

cit74
06-30-2013, 06:35 AM
Oh and the fact that I just bought the unabridged audio CD of the Ocean (the reading was wonderful, and my wife actually said - I would love to listen to that book - made getting her a birthday present this year a little easier) for $21 on amazon - makes that perk in the Ultimate edition even less necessary. btw if you are interested in his reading on Cd - there is an ultimate/complete set (from the UK) that includes coraline, odd and the frost giants, graveyard book and his kids stories for around $45 out there on ebay (I have one on order and can let you know how it sounds if interested - I think most of it is read by Gaiman).

ELazansky
06-30-2013, 06:41 AM
Okay - now this is interesting: Subpress just announced that they are carrying the ultimate Ocean as well - and that they have 40 copies. So between PS and SubPress they have 140 of the 260 copies - of a s/n that was on the market almost 2 weeks ago. Doesn't that show that they missed the original mark with the price point? The fact that more than 1/2 were sent to other publishers to try and sell - and if they bought them for close to that price (who knows) - how much will they be willing to drop the price to get them to sell. The subpress price is $450. I think these have to drop at least another $100-150 to sell. Anyway - just wanted to update.

Here is the subpress link:
http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/the_ocean_at_the_end_of_the_lane_uk_signed_limited

I am right there with you. With the exception of the Hill House books, I don't think any Gaiman signed edition is worth the same retail as a King book, regardless of the limitation. There are thousands of Gaiman signatures out there, so it certainly isn't a rare one to get. When this comes down to 250-300, I would probably be a buyer.

TwistedNadine
06-30-2013, 07:26 AM
Great you got a couple of extra books signed, Chad. I also enjoyed his reading - very much. Excellent narrator.

mistercrowley
06-30-2013, 11:01 AM
What's that trick to see how many copies sub press has sold?

ELazansky
06-30-2013, 11:35 AM
What's that trick to see how many copies sub press has sold?

They have 9 left - try adding as many to your cart as you can

cit74
06-30-2013, 11:41 AM
wow - i cannot believe that they are selling at that price - unless other book sellers are buying them. it is still cheaper to get them directly from PS - since shipping from them is only around $16 and they did not increase the book price - still just 250 gbp

cit74
06-30-2013, 12:21 PM
good news from one of the event coordinators of the santa rosa signing (whom I emailed yesterday):

We are opening the doors at 5:30 pm a hour ahead. And Will Call and book pick up will start at 4:30. The capacity for the theater is 900 persons so hopefully it's not as bad as SF. It is general admission seating. It will go late with the signing which is why it was moved up to 6:30 pm. Yes, we will invite disabled and people with small children to come up earlier. We will be handing out signing passes though as people come in so you want a signing pass with the letter A on it to be in the first group. Tell the door people handing out the signing passes that you need an A pass because of your child. Hope this helps.

So we should not have to wait as long this weekend and maybe he will be more energetic when we see him. Guess it helps to bring a small child with you sometimes...he was talking about the fact that there are not any good scary kids books - so i think we will bring him one of my extra copies of the princess and mr whittle and the thing underneath the bed - it might be fun for caleb to hand that to him

tippy4
06-30-2013, 08:44 PM
I know I am going to sound like a jerk, but the "small children" thing irritates me....and it was worse at the Glendale, CA event because they took it one step further and said that people with small children AT HOME who needed to get back to relieve their babysitters could also go up first. I let about 20 people in front of me before I put my foot down and stood up and prevented anyone else from going past me. I paid three times for "VIP tickets" what most people paid for their tickets, and one of the perks for paying the premium was better seating and subsequently a better position in the line for the signing.

As far as those who brought small children WITH THEM, well, that was their prerogative to do so, and in my opinion, should not be afforded any special consideration.

My comment is not aimed at you Chad...but at those making the rules.

RandyinAK
06-30-2013, 09:00 PM
I know I am going to sound like a jerk, but the "small children" thing irritates me....and it was worse at the Glendale, CA event because they took it one step further and said that people with small children AT HOME who needed to get back to relieve their babysitters could also go up first. I let about 20 people in front of me before I put my foot down and stood up and prevented anyone else from going past me. I paid three times for "VIP tickets" what most people paid for their tickets, and one of the perks for paying the premium was better seating and subsequently a better position in the line for the signing.

As far as those who brought small children WITH THEM, well, that was their prerogative to do so, and in my opinion, should not be afforded any special consideration.

My comment is not aimed at you Chad...but at those making the rules.

I totally agree with you Tippy. Unless the event was sponsered by the PTA or something I don't see how anyones kids play into that whole thing at all. I think preferential treatment for that is total BS. Look if someone has a walker or just had a heart surgery or is on oxygen or for whatever reason can't be on their feet or is disabled or is so old they just can't handle the line..... That is one thing, I would gladly step aside, I'll hold their oxygen tank so they can shake the authors hand but the simple fact that someone chose to pro-create and now they move to the front of the line? Give me a freaking break. Why are someone elses kids now your problem. That should never happen. OMG the parents have to get home because they have kids? We all have reason's we have to get home and to say that relieving a baby sitter is more important than, maybe someone having to catch a 5am flight or whatever other "important" reason you want to come up with..... That crap pisses me off too......

cit74
06-30-2013, 09:49 PM
Oh I have no problem with (most of) this. The part about kids at home - that's one thing - you know how long it's going to take and you plan for that, hence our oldest watched the youngest. We got home at 0200 Saturday morning and I went to work 6 hours later. I would have never gone up early saying I had to get home.

However, when I have my son with me - and I've read to him several of Gaiman's books - then I want him to have the opportunity to meet him at 8/830 and not 11/1130. There's a whole hell of a lot of difference between 3 hours at night waiting around with a 5 year old. Quite honestly, Caleb's "read" more of his books than many others waiting in line too. Also I like what they are doing for this signing - handing out cards when you enter - to better organize the signing portion, unlike sanfran where you could have come in very late - found an open seat near the front and get the signing over with early. This place holds 900 people and is sold out - I don't want to wait another 3 hours like last week (and that was after arriving 45 minutes before event started. But we will be in Santa Rosa all day - so I can scope it out early, and at least Caleb and I will be in line early :)

WeDealInLead
07-01-2013, 06:03 AM
Tippy, it doesn't make you sound like a jerk, but it does seem you're unfamiliar with Gaiman's work. He has written more for younger audiences and kids than for adults. I think it's lame that people could use the babysitter excuse to jump the line-that's extremely weak. But to say kids at a Gaiman reading that's closing in on midnight shouldn't get cuts doesn't make sense, especially if no one though the signing would go late.

In short, I agree with Cit74's point:
"However, when I have my son with me - and I've read to him several of Gaiman's books - then I want him to have the opportunity to meet him at 8/830 and not 11/1130. There's a whole hell of a lot of difference between 3 hours at night waiting around with a 5 year old."

ELazansky
07-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Tippy, it doesn't make you sound like a jerk, but it does seem you're unfamiliar with Gaiman's work. He has written more for younger audiences and kids than for adults. I think it's lame that people could use the babysitter excuse to jump the line-that's extremely weak. But to say kids at a Gaiman reading that's closing in on midnight shouldn't get cuts doesn't make sense, especially if no one though the signing would go late.

"However, when I have my son with me - and I've read to him several of Gaiman's books - then I want him to have the opportunity to meet him at 8/830 and not 11/1130. There's a whole hell of a lot of difference between 3 hours at night waiting around with a 5 year old."

I agree. Gaiman's children's books are just as popular as his adult books. If I saw someone with a small child who was behind me waiting so he could meet Gaiman and get a book signed, I would probably let them in front of me. That would be a special moment for the child and making them wait until close to midnight would be tough. It would be neat if Gaiman was able to schedule an hour earlier in the evening to just sign for kids (and their parents), but I know time is short for him. It is ridiculous that some folks would use the babysitter excuse just so they could get books signed that they are probably planning to sell anyway.

TwistedNadine
07-01-2013, 07:13 AM
In truth far less people took advantage of the offer then I would have thought. Tippy can correct me if Im wrong but seemed to me only about 30 or 40 people (out of hundreds) "jumped the line" when the announcement was made. What irritated me more was when one of the handlers told a lady that she can have all of her books personalized and to "just see me" when it was her turn in line. Not sure why she got preferential treatment but really annoyed me.

cit74
07-01-2013, 07:49 AM
enjoying the conversation here - but just to change subjects - more info released regarding the upcoming Sandman Prequel series set to start in October/November 2013:

http://firewireblog.com/2013/07/01/dc-entertainments-vertigo-reveals-details-surrounding-neil-gaimans-highly-anticipated-return-to-the-sandman/

Yes - it is from Larry Fire...not Larry Fine. Is anyone going to Comic-con this summer? Looks like Gaiman will be there, on a few panels, and lots of sandman swag, etc. Looking forward to the return to sandman - I will probably wait and buy the Deluxe issues - starting in november and running bi-monthly.

"The Sandman: Overture will be published bi-monthly with issue #1 arriving on October 30th, 2013. Each issue of The Sandman: Overture will feature stunning covers by Williams and original series cover artist Dave McKean and will be published on the same day digitally.

Also bi-monthly and alternating with the main Overture series, Vertigo will publish The Sandman: Overture Special Edition. These deluxe issues will include original scripts by Gaiman, additional concept art and sketches by Williams, Q&As with the creative team and more, starting in November."

Now if only i can find that handler and get all my books inscribed....

TwistedNadine
07-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Ive been on the fence about the San Diego Comic-Con. The pics Ari posted from last year really piqued my interest and I promised myself I would go to this one but now that its getting close Im hemming and hawing 'cause I dont collect comics nor am I familiar with them in the least so think Im going to be pretty lost over there.

cit74
07-01-2013, 07:58 AM
oh there will be colorful people for sure - and from what I have heard/seen it gets pretty crazy crowded. id be too stressed, people knocking you over to get at a certain booth....uugghh

TwistedNadine
07-01-2013, 08:03 AM
oh there will be colorful people for sure - and from what I have heard/seen it gets pretty crazy crowded. id be too stressed, people knocking you over to get at a certain booth....uugghh

Well I wouldnt even know what booths to knock people over for lol. I could go and follow the masses - just do what they do and get some stuff signed for resale but doesnt sound particularly fun.

tippy4
07-01-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't think you have to worry about it...I believe it sold out in one day months ago.

tippy4
07-01-2013, 08:27 PM
Tippy, it doesn't make you sound like a jerk, but it does seem you're unfamiliar with Gaiman's work. He has written more for younger audiences and kids than for adults. I think it's lame that people could use the babysitter excuse to jump the line-that's extremely weak. But to say kids at a Gaiman reading that's closing in on midnight shouldn't get cuts doesn't make sense, especially if no one thought the signing would go late.

You are correct...I am not very familiar with Gaiman...but I do have small children, and I probably would not take them to a event that would run that late....and I don't think I would be comfortable jumping the line if I did.

As a parent of a three year old, I am forced to watch YO GABBA GABBA on Nickelodeon...and one of the lessons that the cast of YO GABBA GABBA is always preaching is waiting your turn in line...and to drive that point home they sing "no butts, no cuts, no coconuts".

Now....see what you made me do?....I actually just quoted YO GABBA GABBA.

cit74
07-01-2013, 08:40 PM
Now I feel sorry for you. I have never watched Yo Momma Gabba. The only things we have on tape/record to let the little guy watch are curious george and doc mcstuffins, and hockey - lots of hockey. You should pick up some of the Gaiman kids books - I had been reading those to Caleb for awhile (I enjoy the stories). We read Odd and the frost giants a few weeks back - a chapter a night -= and then I ask him what happened last night before the reading - and he usually does a good job remembering. Next up is either the graveyard book or stardust - but those will take awhile.

Also fun is the adventures of the princess and mr whittle; and the thing beneath the bed - by patrick rothfuss - I have about 10 copies - I give them to our friends daughters on their birthday

And most importantly - if I don't take Caleb, how can I get my copy of Neverwhere signed? (and Steph, and Lauren...but hey I am playing by their rules). Plus I am bringing a copy of the princess - so Caleb can give it to Neil to read - if he has not already read it.

tippy4
07-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Do what I did....scan the area around you and see if anyone is "light" on books...and if they are, ask if they will carry one for you.

cit74
07-02-2013, 06:14 AM
Do what I did....scan the area around you and see if anyone is "light" on books...and if they are, ask if they will carry one for you.

Oh definitely, I brought 2 extra last week and got them both signed. Was only going to bring 2 more this week - I find it tougher to try and get more into other hands.

TwistedNadine
07-02-2013, 07:25 AM
I don't think you have to worry about it...I believe it sold out in one day months ago.

Referring to Comic-Con?
If so thats good news. Now I can get off the fence.

cit74
07-02-2013, 07:29 AM

Referring to Comic-Con?
If so thats good news. Now I can get off the fence.

That is probbaly true - they sell out the day it is announced - nearly a year in advance - crazy

TwistedNadine
07-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Did not know that but probably should have guessed

Patrick
07-02-2013, 08:10 AM
Chad, I am likely to be light on books. I am not organized at all for this. Sell me some! :)

cit74
07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
Chad, I am likely to be light on books. I am not organized at all for this. Sell me some! :)

at first I said to myself - Patrick you are crazy - the signing is in 4 days and the 4th of july is in there as well. And I am not a big collector and rarely have more than one copy; except for some I just sent down south (southern cali that is) - but that is the amazing thing about this forum. A few PM's and a couple Texts - and a bunch of books are packed and shipped in patricks direction - and I get one of the 1st/1st Gaiman books I have been searching for. Wow - pretty amazing. And if they actually reach Patrick by Friday then that will be even better news.

Randall Flagg
07-02-2013, 12:45 PM
I think I should bring my "service animal" for the next signing, then say that I need preferential treatment as I have a medical condition that prohibits me from standing very long.
I'll also say I need cuts because I left my 4 year old home alone, and if she wakes up, she will be scared.
Sorry to derail the thread. Perhaps a new thread should be started about line scammers, line cutting, etc.

cit74
07-02-2013, 12:47 PM
I think I should bring my "service animal" for the next signing, then say that I need preferential treatment as I have a medical condition that prohibits me from standing very long.
I'll also say I need cuts because I left my 4 year old home alone, and if she wakes up, she will be scared.
Sorry to derail the thread. Perhaps a new thread should be started about line scammers, line cutting, etc.

can I hire a handicap like at Disney? Btw - TN got on a wait list for saturday, patricks going, maybe you should call and see if you can get on it too...and bring your service dog

TwistedNadine
07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
Smile - Hey which 1st 1st were you looking for that you found?

at first I said to myself - Patrick you are crazy - the signing is in 4 days and the 4th of july is in there as well. And I am not a big collector and rarely have more than one copy; except for some I just sent down south (southern cali that is) - but that is the amazing thing about this forum. A few PM's and a couple Texts - and a bunch of books are packed and shipped in patricks direction - and I get one of the 1st/1st Gaiman books I have been searching for. Wow - pretty amazing. And if they actually reach Patrick by Friday then that will be even better news.

cit74
07-02-2013, 01:22 PM
it was the graveyard book - I have one - but not signed. I think Patrick might have an extra and we will work a trade to get him some books for this weekend; hence the mad dash texts and mailing. I think the only book of his that I do not have is Duran Duran.

TwistedNadine
07-02-2013, 01:43 PM
I got one of those signed at the Glendale signing

cit74
07-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Yeah - but wasn't that yours?

TwistedNadine
07-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Yes, was my copy I got from ebay specifically for the signing
Your unsigned copy is being sent back in the box to Patrick...
Im confused 'cause your post said "and I get one of the 1st/1st Gaiman books I have been searching for." but you already owned Graveyard?

cit74
07-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Yes, was my copy I got from ebay specifically for the signing
Your unsigned copy is being sent back in the box to Patrick...
Im confused 'cause your post said "and I get one of the 1st/1st Gaiman books I have been searching for." but you already owned Graveyard?

See there's that pesky Chadese rearing its head again (it is a beautiful language - just takes some getting used too) - anyway I meant he had a signed 1st/1st for me - as I was slowly acquiring my Gaiman signed books. See I knew perfectly well what I meant - wasn't confused at all.

Patrick
07-02-2013, 07:57 PM
"That's fucking teamwork!"
~ Tenacious D

Thank you, TN. I hope you and Jerome can each make it.

Chad, I just texted you a photo of my signed 1sts for which I have two copies each. Check your phone.

So I started going through my shelves. All the "important" books I either have signed, or in many cases, I do not own at all. However I did find that I have a rather random assortment of things that I could ask him to sign and would be pretty neat. That said, I want to get that box TN mailed today. There's a book high on my list in there!

Thanks again, TN and Chad.

Patrick
07-02-2013, 08:00 PM
I went to a David Sedaris event a few years back. After his talk, he said that for the signing, because it was indoors, he would let all the smokers go first. Couldn't just say you were a smoker because you have one socially on occasion when drinking. You had to be a real smoker who had a pack on you at a booksigning to show him.

cit74
07-02-2013, 09:16 PM
I went to a David Sedaris event a few years back. After his talk, he said that for the signing, because it was indoors, he would let all the smokers go first. Couldn't just say you were a smoker because you have one socially on occasion when drinking. You had to be a real smoker who had a pack on you at a booksigning to show him.

Sedaris is a big smoker - so I can believe that one - that's great - then when the non-smokers leave they can walk n rough the smoke.

Clacke
07-03-2013, 02:15 AM
The Goldsboro S/N of The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I got #666 :belial:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/756/medium/IMG_0974.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/756/medium/IMG_0975.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/756/medium/IMG_0977.JPG

Patrick
07-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Nice, Clacke. Where is the limitation?

Clacke
07-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Nice, Clacke. Where is the limitation?

Whoops, forgot to upload it!!

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/634/medium/IMG_1004_Rot.jpg?1137

TwistedNadine
07-03-2013, 08:14 AM
So for once us die hard smokers had the advantage and were part of the "In" crowd...

WeDealInLead
07-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Clacke, that's the most excellent number!

TwistedNadine
07-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Thank you, TN. I hope you and Jerome can each make it.

Just got a call from Copperfields and got TWO tickets! Yahoo!
Crow Man - dont know if you were trying to get tickets to this event but I have an extra now if you want it

cit74
07-03-2013, 09:40 AM
NIce new addition. I guess we wont be able to get anymore cheap copies of the signed stardust - someone bought the last remaining 75 copies from that one ebay seller - for only $1500. Even if they just re-sell for double that (once Neil is no longer on any tours) that will still be a healthy profit.

TwistedNadine
07-03-2013, 09:52 AM
My Stardust should be arriving today.

becca69
07-03-2013, 10:35 AM
NIce new addition. I guess we wont be able to get anymore cheap copies of the signed stardust - someone bought the last remaining 75 copies from that one ebay seller - for only $1500. Even if they just re-sell for double that (once Neil is no longer on any tours) that will still be a healthy profit.

Bought one today from that Ebay seller a few hours before auction end for $19.99 . Someone posted in their feedback that they are a flag operation for Barnes & Noble??

cit74
07-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Bought one today from that Ebay seller a few hours before auction end for $19.99 . Someone posted in their feedback that they are a flag operation for Barnes & Noble??

That might make sense - when I inquired about this book - they had to check the warehouse - and they had 100 copies (of the 2500) for sale. Might have to keep an eye on this seller.

cit74
07-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Looks like a little party in Santa Rosa this Saturday. Patrick and TN will be there as well, plus my whole family will be in tow too. Now the Crow man just has to step up and join the party and enjoy some BEER after the signing.

Randall Flagg
07-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Looks like a little party in Santa Rosa this Saturday. Patrick and TN will be there as well, plus my whole family will be in tow too. Now the Crow man just has to step up and join the party and enjoy some BEER after the signing.
I usually have beer before and after the signing.

Just replace the "smoke two joints" in this song with " drink two beers".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChBHCkbbg9Q

cit74
07-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Like I said - the brew pub is only a mile away - nice walk...or drive and plenty of beer. So does that mean that you are in??? :lol1:

Patrick
07-03-2013, 01:49 PM
I usually have beer before and after
And usually I'm right there with him!

- - -

Thanks for posting the limitation page, Clacke. I think that is the edition I failed to order.

TwistedNadine
07-03-2013, 02:36 PM

And, if i recall correctly, you had a couple DURING the Cronin and Hill signings, too...

Randall Flagg
07-03-2013, 03:06 PM

And, if i recall correctly, you had a couple DURING the Cronin and Hill signings, too...
Only while I was waiting for you or Patrick to get stuff signed.
I cut to the head of both lines.
I didn't claim small children, service animals, or smoking as a silly excuse, I said after several beers I needed to urinate.

Patrick
07-03-2013, 03:49 PM
I was down the street in the pub waiting for Jerome before the Hill event. He stood me up with some excuse about out-of-town visitors dropping by.

cit74
07-03-2013, 04:27 PM
I was lucky to get there in time - and had a drive home with no DD - so only water for me - and looks that way again this weekend...since there is no way I am letting my daughter drive my car home.

Dan
07-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I haven't read a bunch of Gaiman, pretty much just Anansi Boys. I notice people keep saying that his new book is his first adult novel in quite a while. Are the supposed non-adult books not worth reading or are they just toned down for a younger audience. Basically, should I read more of his stuff?

WeDealInLead
07-03-2013, 07:05 PM
The language is a little more age-appropriate but the stories are still great.

My top 5 novels would go like this: Neverwhere, American Gods, The Graveyard Book, The Ocean..., Stardust. I'm not the biggest fan of his short stories. They're not bad but don't really do it for me the way his longer works do. I have to admit that I've only read M Is For Magic and am yet to read Smoke & Mirrors, Fragile Things and Little Gold Book of Ghastly Stories.

Anansi Boys felt a little like a quirky little brother to American Gods, Interworld read a little too much like a paycheck and if I had been answering your question on a different day, I might have subsitited Stardust with Coraline. That's all I've read by him.

cit74
07-03-2013, 07:49 PM
I haven't read a bunch of Gaiman, pretty much just Anansi Boys. I notice people keep saying that his new book is his first adult novel in quite a while. Are the supposed non-adult books not worth reading or are they just toned down for a younger audience. Basically, should I read more of his stuff?

I enjoyed Anansi Boys - but I liked most of his other works better than that one - and I have read mostly everything he has in print. But he has written children's books, young adult (coraline, stardust, graveyard), and more adult. Not to mention his Sandman and Miracleman comic series - I honestly could not tell you where to start...but I will try:

Good omens
Graveyard book
Coraline
American Gods
Stardust
Neverwhere

and if you have kids or grandkids - try any of the kids books - i swapped my dad for two goldfish, the dangerous alphabet, wolves in the walls - are my top 3 of his kids books

cit74
07-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Forgot to post these from last week - here is the assembly line that was the signing:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/chadtarter/Book%20Signings/Gaimansigning3_zps5c7cf6fc.jpg (http://s287.photobucket.com/user/chadtarter/media/Book%20Signings/Gaimansigning3_zps5c7cf6fc.jpg.html)

ANd here is some cheesy guy that wandered behind Gaiman as he signed my books - he did pose with some random people - but not many

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/chadtarter/Book%20Signings/Gaimansigning6_zps07ec13c3.jpg (http://s287.photobucket.com/user/chadtarter/media/Book%20Signings/Gaimansigning6_zps07ec13c3.jpg.html)

cit74
07-03-2013, 08:23 PM
And this just came in today. I really enjoyed his "extra" reading of Fortunately the milk last week (reminded me of Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy):

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/chadtarter/Gaiman/FortMilk1_zps83916f82.jpg (http://s287.photobucket.com/user/chadtarter/media/Gaiman/FortMilk1_zps83916f82.jpg.html)

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/chadtarter/Gaiman/FortMilk3_zps50884e2c.jpg (http://s287.photobucket.com/user/chadtarter/media/Gaiman/FortMilk3_zps50884e2c.jpg.html)

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll123/chadtarter/Gaiman/FortMilk2_zps2a74616e.jpg (http://s287.photobucket.com/user/chadtarter/media/Gaiman/FortMilk2_zps2a74616e.jpg.html)

I know it is a book plate - but I have only seen these with bookplates in them - plus I liked the art on the plate as well

ELazansky
07-04-2013, 05:52 AM
A big shout out to Chad for helping me locate a copy of this for a decent price - with only a 10,000 copy print run, they are not easy to find:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/WhoKilledAmandaPalmer_zps473e34e2.jpg

TwistedNadine
07-04-2013, 08:01 AM
I was down the street in the pub waiting for Jerome before the Hill event. He stood me up with some excuse about out-of-town visitors dropping by.

Damn out-of-towners. They always throw wrench in the works dont they?
While you were waiting at the pub for Crow to show the out-of-towners were enjoying a delicious spread of snacks and drinks...

Patrick
07-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Damn out-of-towners. They always throw wrench in the works dont they?
While you were waiting at the pub for Crow to show the out-of-towners were enjoying a delicious spread of snacks and drinks...
Actually, so was I - at the brewpub. Everybody wins! :grouphug:

Shannon
07-04-2013, 02:06 PM
On book nine of the Sandman library. Love it.

Patrick
07-04-2013, 11:34 PM
Glad to hear you are enjoying it, Shannon!

cit74
07-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Well color me shocked - subpress and ps sold out of all their 140 copies of the ultimate ocean - really didn't expect that, except that US buyers were finally able to get the book. Still I couldn't not fathom spending $400-450 on that one. I'm sure we will see them hit eBay soon.

ELazansky
07-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Well, some folks will always get caught up in the hype and pay what I feel is too high a price. Just look at what some folks are paying for Joyland. Who knows, we all could be wrong about this and could be kicking ourselves next year for not buying one.

cit74
07-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Yeah, but I still compare it to something like smoke and mirrors - with all new mckean art - and I'm much more looking forward to that book (eventually) and the production by subpress - and that one was $250. I know we are in the same boat (haha on ocean) - but I guess that limitation of 260 just got to people. I realize I'm not a completist (and never will be) - so eventually will let some things slide. If that were the only signed copy I could get - that would be one thing, but as it is I have 4 different signed copies at publisher (or below) price - even that might seem a bit obsessive...

Shannon
07-05-2013, 07:02 AM
I assume some/most of you own the Absolute Sandman/Death editions. I think they're wonderful, but the average $50-$75 price each has me hesitant to buy them. Opinions?

WeDealInLead
07-05-2013, 07:06 AM
I assume some/most of you own the Absolute Sandman/Death editions. I think they're wonderful, but the average $50-$75 price each has me hesitant to buy them. Opinions?

Totally worth the price. They're $75 from Amazon, cheaper on eBay. Look through my collection thread for pics. My wife gets me one each Christmas. I think I'll be getting Absolute Death this time.

cit74
07-05-2013, 07:08 AM

See I got you started on something...evil. I traded my trades to you since I had the absolutes - and love that format. The artwork needs that larger size IMHO. The original price tag was $100 - I bought all mine when they first came out on amazon for their discount at around $66. So anything in the 50-75 range is reasonable. If you like the absolute format then I would say yes. They are mammoth, look great on the shelf, and production is quite good. I toyed w the idea of keeping the trades so Caleb could read them in time - but he can be spoiled and read the absolutes. The little extras are not bad either (scripts/storyboards to see how particular things came together).

Booknutt
07-05-2013, 07:15 AM
The Absolutes are really great and well worth it. Plus you could really brain a home intruder with 'em.

ELazansky
07-05-2013, 07:19 AM

You could wait and just by the two 1000+ page Omnibus Volumes coming out this year. Here is the link for Volume 1 - http://www.amazon.com/Sandman-Omnibus-Vol-1/dp/1401241883/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373037443&sr=1-2&keywords=absolute+sandman

I don't know if they will be the same size as the Absolute editions, but I just love 1000+ page books :-)

Scoogs
07-05-2013, 07:54 AM
Signed limited of Stardust for $19.99!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stardust-The-Gift-Edition-Deluxe-Signed-Limited-Gaiman-Neil-New-Book-/261225528909?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item3cd2413e4d

Crap, I forgot to buy one of these before the auction ended.
Looks like someone bought 75 copies from them right before the listing ended...

cit74
07-05-2013, 09:10 AM

You could wait and just by the two 1000+ page Omnibus Volumes coming out this year. Here is the link for Volume 1 - http://www.amazon.com/Sandman-Omnibus-Vol-1/dp/1401241883/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373037443&sr=1-2&keywords=absolute+sandman

I don't know if they will be the same size as the Absolute editions, but I just love 1000+ page books :-)

That is crazy big - half of the run in one book - I cannot imagine trying to lift, open, read that monstrosity. Although it is cheaper than buying the 5 absolute editions...

Randall Flagg
07-05-2013, 11:35 AM
For sale:
Neil Gaimen S/L Anansi Boys. Mint. Comes with matching number notebook.
$275 PP gift. Free USA shipping.

ELazansky
07-05-2013, 11:41 AM
So I got my copy of Ocean from Goldsboro Books today. It is kind of weird what they do. They take a regular UK first printing, signed on the title page. That in and of itself is nothing special (look at how many US copies of Ocean Neil is signing). Then, they tip-in limitation pages into 700 of those copies, and add a slipcase, making it a limited edition. I'm not complaining at all...just looking at it for what it is.

swintek
07-05-2013, 12:15 PM

That is crazy big - half of the run in one book - I cannot imagine trying to lift, open, read that monstrosity. Although it is cheaper than buying the 5 absolute editions...

The Absolute Sandman editions are almost mandatory in any discerning Horror/Dark Fantasy reader/collector's library. The story/ies are some of best you'll ever read, and the editions themselves are magnificent- think Scream Press' Skeleton Crew quality- and a steal at those prices, imo.

Those forthcoming "Omnibus" editions sound interesting, but, ultimately, yeah- they've GOT to be too huge to actually read...!

ELazansky
07-05-2013, 12:22 PM
You can get all 5 Absolute Editions here for $54.99 each - http://www.cheapgraphicnovels.com/_search.php?page=1&q=absolute+sandman&categoryid=

cit74
07-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Here's a link to catch Gaiman's talk in Glendale. So if you haven't been able to make it to a signing you might enjoy ths:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2013/07/05/neil-gaiman-livetalks/

Or here:

http://vimeo.com/69644329

swintek
07-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Here's a link to catch Gaiman's talk in Glendale. So if you haven't been able to make it to a signing you might enjoy ths:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2013/07/05/neil-gaiman-livetalks/

Or here:

http://vimeo.com/69644329

Thank you! Was supposed to make this event with my daughter, but circumstances prevented it. Will watch with her later. Much appreciated.

cit74
07-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Just got home from the signing in Santa Rosa (a full 2.5 hours earlier than last week :)). Had a wonderful day. Ate at a very good Puerto Rican restaurant for lunch, then saw despicable me 2 in the afternoon. Once that finished we (my wife, daughter, and son) headed over to the theater. We got there around 430 - an hour before doors opened (2 hours before the start). There were 3 lines - one will call to get your books (which I headed into) and the entrance lines were divided into two - as you could enter from either side of the theater. So steph waited in the main line while I got our books - which saved us a bunch of spaces. Once we were all in the main line - patrick and TN lucked up upon us, got their books and then casually mingled with us to be near the front of a line.

Now it was time to enter and they gave you a lettered and numbered card. All that mattered was the letter since these were the groups to be called in order for the signing. Patrick and TN were now ahead of us and got letter F. When we came through I think we would have gotten F as well, although the girl did have B cards in her hand. But I used the Caleb trump card and asked if we could get an A card - which they kindly gave us - just one card that as good for our group - can you signing veterans see where this is going? Anyway we sat down and enjoyed a lively hour of gaiman. He read from ocean - and a little further in the book than last week - so an all new reading which was nice. Then he answered questions which was always entertaining. I wrote down a couple of questions - and the last one he answered was one of mine - about his upcoming book, "fortunately the milk". It served as a nice transition for him to read from this story - which is only the second time he's read from this story on the tour - he started it last week in SF - and this time he read a little further than last week.

So now it's time for the signing and they call letter A and we all (6 of us, including TN and Patrick) move over to get our books signed. Patrick thought I was too nice since I ad gotten several copies of ocean inscribed (last week and this week) - and each person could only get 1 book inscribed - so I shorted myself of 3 personalized gaiman books - no biggie - still was able to get plenty signed (and now I have favors abound :)). I was able to get the 4000 copy Coraline inscribed for Caleb (he drew a rat in that too - pretty cool) and American gods for me (he wrote "believe" in that as well). I also found someone with one book and got the AG readers copy signed as well. I also learned that my s/l copy of now we are sick - which I and several other people here didn't think was signed by gaiman - actually was - he pointed out his sig to me - and said - yeah that was my mid 90s signature - not very legible - and I already had the book out and he signed it again - much more clearly - so now it is double signed (in addition to all of the other contributors) - so I'm guessing this is a retry rare copy. Also TN and Patrick think it was remarqued by Clive barker - but I'm not sure - so if anyone owns a copy please pm me - I ave a few questions. So I got 7 books signed (one for simon) and I was able to trade a book with Patrick and get a signed graveyard book - so 8 tonight, plus my 4 last week - so 11 signed for me the past week - not bad.

Now patrick brought a small book store with him :evil: and he and TN used their F card to wait and get back in line. It was about 9pm after we got our first set signed - I only had 3 others with me, but the family was tired and hungry and I can only ask so much. So we baled and went for food. I guess I could've given a book or two to Patrick and TN - but I didn't want to burden them and I was happy with my signed lot.

I'm sure you are asking - where are the pics - well I have to upload them to the computer tomorrow - so you'll have to wait to see them, and hear TNs and Patrick's version of the evening.

WeDealInLead
07-07-2013, 05:45 AM
I'm getting ready to leave for tonight's event. Last chance offer: does anyone want an inscribed copy? All I'm asking is the Canadian cover price + shipping. I'll be hand-picking the best copies, no bent corners Amazon style.

WeDealInLead
07-07-2013, 05:50 AM
So Cit, if I'm understanding this right, I should try to get a different card from my wife and then we both piggy-back on the other person's card?

Patrick
07-07-2013, 09:14 AM
WDIL, that is correct. Do that if you can. Note that he is only inscribing one book per person. He will flatsign as many OCEANS as you bring him. He will only sign one non-OCEANS book per person. Which single book you want inscribed is your choice.

Chad, great seeing you last night! TN went through the line twice. I went a third time just because We had some random book left. More later. Need coffee. :)

Patrick
07-07-2013, 09:15 AM
Double post. Move along.

mistercrowley
07-07-2013, 12:39 PM
looking for the uber deluxe version Ocean. PS and Sub Press have none left. Anyone that can help me out i would appreciate it

Dan
07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
looking for the uber deluxe version Ocean. PS and Sub Press have none left. Anyone that can help me out i would appreciate it

Did you look at Amazon? They have a S/L of Ocean for $130 preorder

Dan
07-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Read my second ever Gaiman book today. It happened to be his latest, The Ocean at the End of the Lane. I must say that it was very good! He is quite the storyteller. I look forward to spending more money that I don't have on books.

mistercrowley
07-07-2013, 03:14 PM
its actually a different version than that one. The one im looking for was only offered for sale in the UK

Patrick
07-07-2013, 05:41 PM
My signed books from last night:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/DE65BBEF-6AF8-473D-8170-C299973F0CA0-9432-0000037BFFE4D126_zpsf37e2b49.jpg

Inscribed 1st ed. MAKE GOOD ART:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/957CAF2B-DD61-40C0-8A68-3528B13EBBA2-9539-0000038304F2E0B7_zps2cf73e98.jpg

Inscribed 1st Ed. GOOD OMENS:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/0FB70C82-ED61-4DF5-9C27-B36D03E3D026-9539-00000382FB21C003_zpsfc2d5a80.jpg

Inscribed Reader's Copy numbered to match my S/L of AMERICAN GODS. The companion Reader's Copy is not normally signed, but mine is now:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/40D9B5A9-ECB9-4385-9579-F3FC0DC00F90-9539-00000382EF25F057_zpsbbd003f9.jpg

Merlin1958
07-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Very Nice, Patrick!!! Congrats!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Patrick
07-07-2013, 05:51 PM
My 1st Ed. Of STORIES was already inscribed to me by Chuck Palahniuk. Now it is also signed by Neil Gaiman. Neil drew a doodle of the monster from the front cover artwork (as seen in the first photo in the previous post). Next time I see Joe Hill, I will ask him to sign it as well.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/A9F22451-1D00-41FA-BB85-9EF0B654C5CF-9539-0000038328A8A90C_zpsf7b9ad3f.jpg

My Notebook numbered to match my S/L of ANANSI BOYS. This companion to the limited edition is not normally signed. Now mine is.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/78D5B82E-9CE4-48A0-A505-361360B470BD-9539-0000038310DE069D_zps43842887.jpg

The true first edition of ODD AND THE FROST GIANTS is not the hardcover, but a small paperback produced for World Book Day and sold to British schoolchildren for 1 pound. TDT member, Darkthoughts (Lisa), sent this to me a few years ago when it was released - as a surprise gift. Now it is signed. :)

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/B4216BBE-434E-404C-AD1A-44A49AA40B6D-9539-000003835E96D1FC_zpse1adb89a.jpg

1st Ed of DEATH: TIME OF YOUR LIFE flatsigned:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/FEBCDC8A-0F5B-4800-A1A5-CC3DC7E3E6DD-9539-0000038354F29537_zpse5a227d3.jpg

Merlin1958
07-07-2013, 05:52 PM
I din't realize that you weren't through!!! Congrats again!!! LOL

Very cool inscriptions!!!

Patrick
07-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks, Bill! I have one more that I will post when I get a chance.

This event was a great evening visiting with other members and getting to listen to Neil, and to visit him up close three times after his talk (cycled the line that many times).

Patrick
07-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Here is my 1st edition of THE VERY BEST OF BEST NEW HORROR.

When a group of us saw Joe Hill in San Francisco a couple months ago, Joe signed the book twice - once on the title page and also on the page where his story starts.

Last night Neil Gaiman also signed it on the title page. Then, amazingly, he turned to the page where his story starts and signed that as well. I couldn't believe he double-signed it on a night with a couple thousand autographs.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/DCBE9DD5-9D2C-435C-A29A-24AA33FB11CA-9539-000003833D974FFF_zps0143d764.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/E65BA826-4040-49AF-8E81-7E30FC7944C2-9539-0000038346EE7360_zpsef6cdfd7.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books%20II/67E0BB5A-2859-4FD8-BC55-088385C38296-9539-000003834DBAC8E6_zps6601a274.jpg

cit74
07-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Very nice indeed - love all the inscriptions. I'll post some of my pics later - but my wife's been busy with school work so I haven't been able to upload anything.

WeDealInLead
07-08-2013, 05:52 AM
Quick review: left home at 1:15, waited 45 minutes to cross the bridge at the border, arrived at 5:30, Gaiman's flight was delayed, reading started at 7 finally, signing started at 9, our turn was at 2:30 in the morning, got 4 copies of The Ocean and 5 older books signed, arrived home at 5:15 in the morning, pics to follow.

Patrick
07-08-2013, 06:51 AM
Welcome home, WDIL! Get some well- deserved rest!

becca69
07-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Congrats on the cool inscriptions, signatures and doodles everyone!