PDA

View Full Version : King to receive 2011 Mason Award

mae
02-15-2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/20833-Appearance-scheduled-for-September-23-2011?p=429804#post429804

Stephen has been selected as the 2011 recipient of the Mason Award from the Fall for the Book Festival at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA. He will be presented the award at a ceremony on September 23, 2011 and will be speaking and/or reading for approximately 30-45 minutes. Details regarding the speech and a possible signing to follow are still being negotiated. More information, including how to secure tickets for the event, will be posted on fallforthebook.org.

http://fallforthebook.org/?page_id=979

Fall for the Book announces the winners of its 2011 festival awards: Stephen King, who will receive this year’s Mason Award, and Amy Tan, recipient of the Fairfax Prize.

Born in the US to immigrant parents from China, Amy Tan rejected her mother’s expectations that she become a doctor and concert pianist and chose to write fiction instead. Her novels are The Joy Luck Club, The Kitchen God’s Wife, The Hundred Secret Senses, The Bonesetter’s Daughter, and Saving Fish from Drowning, all New York Times bestsellers. She is also the author of a memoir, The Opposite of Fate, two children’s books, The Moon Lady and Sagwa, The Chinese Siamese Cat, and numerous articles for magazines, including The New Yorker, Harper’s Bazaar, and National Geographic. Her work has been translated into 35 languages, from Spanish, French, and Finnish to Chinese, Arabic, and Hebrew. She will accept the 2011 Fairfax Prize, honoring outstanding literary achievement, on Tuesday evening, September 20, at George Mason University.

Stephen King is one of the world’s most successful writers. He made his first professional short story sale in 1967 to Startling Mystery Stories. In the fall of 1971, he began teaching high school English classes at Hampden Academy, the public high school in Hampden, Maine. Writing in the evenings and on the weekends, he continued to produce short stories and to work on novels. In the spring of 1973, Doubleday & Co. accepted the novel Carrie for publication, providing him the means to leave teaching and write full-time. He has since published over 50 books, including most recently the collection Full Dark, No Stars. He and his wife, novelist Tabitha King, are regular contributors to a number of charities including many libraries and have been honored for their philanthropic activities. King will accept the Mason Award, which recognizes authors who have made extraordinary contributions to bringing literature to a wide reading public, on Friday evening, September 23, at George Mason University.

Ticketing information for each author’s appearance will be forthcoming; for updates on these events and the entire festival, subscribe to Fall for the Book in the left-hand column of our homepage.

Congratulations to Mason alum Brie Spencer for correctly naming each of this year’s headliners as part of our “Name The Winners, Be A Winner” contest. Spencer will receive a totebag with books by both King and Tan.

CRinVA
02-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Now this is exciting as I live about 20 minutes from George Mason University!!!!!!!!!!!!

jhanic
03-07-2011, 01:14 PM
King and Amy Tan are scheduled to appear at the Fall for the Book Festival 2011 on Friday, September 23 at George Mason University in Virginia. No word on whether there will be a book signing or not.

http://fallforthebook.org/?page_id=979/

John

CRinVA
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM
this is already in another thread! :-)

jhanic
03-07-2011, 01:28 PM
I missed it. Where is it?

Feel free to delete this thread if it's a duplicate.

John

CRinVA
03-08-2011, 05:29 AM
John,

Check it out here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12054-King-to-receive-2011-Mason-Award&highlight=fall+book+festival)

I know my way around GMU and plan on attending - its about a 20 minute drive for me!

Ari_Racing
03-08-2011, 11:19 AM
A friend of mine lives in Virginia, so I'll purchase him the ticket and, if a signing takes place, I'll send him my spanish hc of IT for King to sign :) Finally I'll have a spanish book signed!

mae
08-12-2011, 01:45 PM
http://cfa.gmu.edu/tickets/ticket_form_fftb_preview.php

Fall for the Book: Stephen King

Mason Award Presentation:
Stephen King
Friday, September 23, 2011 at 7:30 p.m.

Bestselling author Stephen King accepts the Mason Award for his "extraordinary contributions to bringing literature to a wide reading public." King's literary career spans 40 years, from his debut novel, Carrie, through his most recent work, the short story collection Full Dark, No Stars. King's next novel, 11/22/63, a time-traveling adventure surrounding the JFK assassination, is due out in November. Presented by the Fall for the Book Festival.

Ticket Request Form Available Aug. 15 at 9 am EST

What’s the hottest ticket in town? Getting the chance to see Stephen King accept the 2011 Mason Award at this year’s Fall for the Book!

You must have a ticket to attend this year’s Mason Award presentation. Tickets can be reserved for free through the Center for the Arts Ticket Office beginning at 9 a.m. on Monday, August 15. Limit two tickets per request. (Please note: The author’s representatives have limited the number of books he will sign after the event. Each successful registrant is automatically entered to win one of the limited number of signing-line tickets, which will be required to enter the book-signing area.)

The Mason Award presentation takes place on Friday evening, September 23, in the Concert Hall, Center for the Arts, on George Mason University’s Fairfax Campus, and ticketholders will be required to be in their seats no later than 7:15 p.m. The award recognizes authors who have made extraordinary contributions to bringing literature to a wide reading public — something that King, one of the world’s most successful writers, has certainly done over a career which spans from his first professional short story sale in 1967 to Startling Mystery Stories through his upcoming novel 11/22/63, a time-traveling adventure surrounding the JFK assassination, due out in November.

The Mason Award presentation is sponsored this year by George Mason University Libraries and by Mystery Writers of America.

For more information on Fall for the Book’s full schedule, bookmark our website at www.fallforthebook.org.

http://cfa.gmu.edu/images/fftb_2011.jpg

mae
08-16-2011, 04:41 AM
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/articles/sold-out-but-wait-last-chance-for-stephen-king-tickets

It took less than a day for Fall for the Book to run out of tickets to see Stephen King in person in September. Didn't move fast enough? Don't sweat it too much, you've got a few more opportunities to reserve your seat at the 2011 Mason Awards.

George Mason University students can grab a ticket or two at the FFTB booth (Johnson Center Plaza) during Welcome Week, Aug. 25-Sept. 6.
Cinema Arts Theatre patrons will get a chance to snag a pair of tickets at the screening of "The Shawshank Redemption" (a Stephen King novella) on Sept. 15. Only 10 tickets (in pairs) will be distributed. Times to be announced.
Panel audience members will throw down in raffle form for the last 10 tickets (again, given in pairs) at the Mystery Writers of American event on Sept. 23. Listen to novelists Donna Andrews ("The Real Macaw"), G.M. Malliet ("Wicked Autumn"), Alan Orloff ("Killer Routine") and Marcia Talley ("A Quiet Death") talk mystery fiction starting at 5:30 p.m. in Harris Theater at Mason's Fairfax campus. There's no fee for joining the raffle.

Those are the last opportunities to secure advance tickets. You can always leave it to fate and show up at the Cinema Arts Center just before King's appearance (7:15 p.m., Sept. 23) in hopes of grabbing an unclaimed seat.

Notes to those who reserved their tickets:

No email confirmations went out.
Tickets will arrive in the mail.
If you win a King book-signing ticket (via random drawing), it will arrive with your event tickets in the mail.

mae
09-23-2011, 02:16 PM
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/articles/fftb-friday-mason-awards-stephen-king

Stephen King speaks at Fall for the Book tonight as the festival ends for 2011. He accepts the Mason Award at 7:30 p.m. in the Concert Hall, Center for the Arts.

Advance tickets have all been distributed, but 10 tickets will be offered at a session at 5:30 p.m. in Harris Theatre when members of the Mid-Atlantic chapter of Mystery Writers of America gather to discuss their genre.

Fall for the Book ends formally at 8 p.m. at the annual Breakthrough Poets Reading at The Old Firestation #3 in Old Town Fairfax.

7:30 p.m.

Mason Award Presentation: Stephen King

Concert Hall, Center for the Arts

Bestselling author Stephen King accepts the Mason Award for his “extraordinary contributions to bringing literature to a wide reading public.” King’s literary career spans 40 years, from his debut novel, Carrie, through his forthcoming novel, 11/22/63, a time-traveling adventure surrounding the JFK assassination (due out in November). Tickets for the Mason Award presentation are required and, as this program went to press, were being distributed to the general public through the Fall for the Book website. If any tickets remain, the website would contain information about availability. Sponsored by George Mason University Libraries and Mystery Writers of America.

mae
09-24-2011, 07:11 PM
http://fairfaxcity.patch.com/articles/stephen-king-in-person

"Give yourself a hand," said Stephen King to a packed house at George Mason University's Center for the Arts. "You're out on a Friday night because of books!"

King's appearance was the grand finale of the 2011 Fall for the Book festival. That it was the 13th annual seemed fitting for an appearance by the master of horror.

Even before King was introduced, the audience was electric. An older woman from Burke said she'd come even though she'd never read any of King's books. "How could I not come to hear a great American author," she said.

Congressman Gerry Connolly (D-VA-11) introduced King. "He's number 33 on the list of all time greatest authors in human history," said Connolly. "Shakespeare's number one, but he has about 400 years on King."

The moment King was introduced, the audience erupted in cheers, yells and a standing ovation. "All that for a writer," smiled King in a red t-shirt and jeans. "You don't get out much, do you," he quipped.

King spent about an hour telling stories, answering pre-submitted questions choosen by Fall for the Book, and accepting the Mason Award from Fairfax City Mayor Rob Lederer. He walked the stage, even though only the podium was lit. He was a master storyteller, a stand-up comedian. "I expected him to be scary, not so funny," said a woman from Springfield.

King said he became America's "boogie-man" more by chance than choice. The others, like Alfred Hitchcock, died, and he was left. "People want to know what f***ed me up so badly that I turned out [writing the way] I did," he said. "They want to know what made me decided to write. What makes you assume I had a choice."

The author several times mentioned bedtime readings by his mother. He recalled The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde making a big impression on him at about age nine.

He said the basis of his writing comes from his mother's mantra for living. "Think of the worst thing that could happen, and then whatever happens will be better than that," she'd say. "Following her advice has made me a lot of money and a little paranoid," King laughed.

King said many of his ideas are based on real events. He told of once walking home through a park after his car broke down. His boots made a clop, clop, clopping sound on a wooden bridge, and that reminded him of Three Billy Goats Gruff. He realized a basic human fear is, "who is that trip, trapping over my bridge." "I decided to write a final exam on all the monsters that scare people," he said. "It became the basis of the horror in the book I called It."

Each time King named one of his books, the audience spanning all generations yelled and clapped. "It's like Stephen King's greatest hits," he laughed.

Sometimes the author doesn't know where his ideas come from. "The Dead Zone, I don't know where that came from," he said. The Green Mile, he said, began with a picture in his head that in the end didn't even make it into the book.

King's newest book, 11/22/63, will be released in November. King said he tried to write this book in 1972, but the wounds were too fresh and the research required was too great for a kid his age at the time.

"I was about 17 when Kennedy was assasinated," he said. "For us back then, that was our 9/11."

The book is about Jake Epping, a 35-year-old high school English teacher who travels back in time on a mission to stop Lee Harvey Oswald from killing President Kennedy.

King read a preview of the book he's currently writing, titled Dr. Sleep. "I've always wondered what happened to that kid in The Shinning," he said of his book published in 1977. Dr. Sleep will tell.

It was evident that the love of reading began for King as a child, with his mother reading to him. "I loved reading so much that it became second nature to write," he said.

"In some ways the mother force [of my writing] comes from the horror comics of the 1950's," he said. Other influential titles include The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and The Rats in the Walls by H. P. Lovecraft.

"The book that hit closest to where I live is Lord of the Flies," said King. When he read it in high school, he said he could see where he and his friends might possibly be those boys.

King said of all the characters he's created, the one he relates to the least is Big Jim Rennie in Under the Dome. He said Big Jim makes him consider all the hate and anger in the political system today. "It's very disquieting to me that a President is regarded as weak because he's looking for consensus," he said. "There's something very wrong somewhere."

Asked if he ever leaves projects unfinished, King said he has about 40 sitting around. Hatchet Head is one: "It's a half-finished novel that I couldn't figure out [how to finish], so I stopped," he said.

King gave the audience a gift. Early on he'd discussed the statistical probability of how many people in the audience had left thier cars and homes unlocked, and the low probability of a psychopath trying all those handles and knobs. "But don't think of that later on," he said.

But I did think of that when I went to my car. And I wondered how many others did, too.

mae
09-24-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcC0OfIVv7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ6R--UsWjk

Merlin1958
09-25-2011, 12:20 AM
9-1 today!!!!

:YYY::YYY::YYY:

sgc1999
09-25-2011, 09:22 AM
:(

mae
09-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Looks like almost the entire thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL_o77Ygb6U

I bet the one on the official site will be better, but still.

DanishCollector
09-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Hatchet Head? Never heard about that one before. And about 40 unfinished projects? Wow.

mae
09-30-2011, 08:27 AM
King's entire GMU appearance, the official video:

http://vimeo.com/29786512

Merlin1958
10-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Pablo, You are our TDT.Org Correspondent. Hands down!!! Thanks for this!!!