PDA

View Full Version : Ten-hour miniseries of The Stand on CBS All Access

Pages : [1] 2 3

mae
01-31-2011, 06:21 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/stephen-kings-stand-heading-big-94805

Stephen King's grand opus The Stand is finally getting the big-screen treatment.

Warner Bros. and CBS Films are teaming to adapt the novel, which in many ways set the bar for a generation of post-apocalyptic stories and influenced works ranging from TV's Lost to music group Anthrax.

Mosaic and Roy Lee are producing.

The companies will co-develop and co-produce the feature film, with CBS having the option to participate in co-financing. Warners will handle worldwide marketing and distribution.

The studios and producers will sit down with writers and directors in the coming weeks in an attempt to find the right take on the material. One thing to be determined is whether to attempt the adaptation in one or multiple movies. King will be involved in some capacity.

CBS has held the rights for many years but recently realized the best way to undertake the project was with a partner. Warners beat out Fox and Sony in a tight bidding war for the gig, getting its hands on one of the biggest-selling books of all time.

CBS, meanwhile, gets a chance to be involved in an ambitious big-budget tentpole with little downside. The company just released its fourth movie, The Mechanic, which performed better than expected this weekend with an opening of $11.4 million.

The Stand is a story of good vs. evil after a virus wipes out most of the American population. While it features dozens of characters (such as the Trashcan Man and Mother Abigail) and overlapping story lines running over many years, the struggle boils down to a group of survivors fighting the Antichrist-like Randall Flagg.

The novel was originally published in 1978, but by the time it was rereleased in 1990 with King adding and revising portions of the story, it had achieved cult-like status.

George Romero and Warners separately tried in vain to launch a movie adaptation in the 1980s, and a tone-downed version was produced as a six-hour miniseries by ABC in 1994. In recent years, Marvel Comics has been adapting the story to great acclaim.

King's stories made for popular Hollywood adaptations in the 1980s and '90s, but that love seemed to lose steam in the past decade. But with Universal mounting an ambitious take on The Dark Tower, and now The Stand, King may be getting ready to return to the throne as the novelist the town loves the most.

Brice
01-31-2011, 06:24 PM
Please no!

Merlin1958
01-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Please no!

Ahhh, C'mon!!!! At the absolute very least it will add readers!!!!!. No?

CRinVA
01-31-2011, 07:10 PM
I'm open to it Brice. I tend to totally disassociate any movie from the novel it came from and judge each on tis own merit. I know some people cannot do that and I repssect them for that - how boring it would be if we all thoguht the same way! For instance, I like Kubrik's The Shining and Kings novel is definitely in my top 5!

I do doubt that a single release can do the story justice - it will take several perhaps they could do it justice with three releases not unlike The Lord of the Rings - or think of the Harry Potter moveis with 8 movies to cover the 7 books. I dont think they would need something like that but three sounds good to me. Besides that gives me more of a King fix and that is shy I am here in the first place!

Besides this gives them a chance to get Franniw right!

Although in the miniseries I do think that they got the Trasncan Man perfefctly!

CyberGhostface
01-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Don't really see the problem. Provided that they at least give it multiple movies to tell the story (2 or 3 at most, really), it should be fine. More can go wrong the Dark Tower than The Stand when it comes to a big screen adaptation.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-31-2011, 10:59 PM
i just read this on the IMDB news & thought YOU have got to be fucking kidding me! i can see them do it as 2 or 3 movies. each part around 180 minutes or so. doubtful but good enough length. damn "SK" has done soo many novels & short stories that haven't been done why do what's already been done? remake the shitty ones is what i say.

they are i believe already doing 'Pet Semetary" which & sorry about my spelling. i LOVE the original. hell even "The Regulators" would be a film i'd be curious to see. or 'The Long Walk" which i'd LOVE to see as a film. not a film that's already been done! & well may i add. i love the version that was released. i'm still hoping they release it on Blu-Ray with Deleted Scenes. i'm dying to see those suckers!

kluker
01-31-2011, 11:35 PM
I would like to see a remake with the details from the book all there not changed around

Roland of Gilead 33
01-31-2011, 11:41 PM
i think i read on entertainment weekly's officall website that it's only going to be 2 hrs! please let me know if i read that wrong.

Bev Vincent
02-01-2011, 03:07 AM
This article says that multiple movies is still a possibility.

Ben Mears
02-01-2011, 08:33 AM
Stick to his novellas/short novels; they allow for deeper character development and richer storylines. I think Blaze could be an excellent Frank Darabount movie.

Mattrick
02-01-2011, 09:58 AM
[http://hollywoodmoviez.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ben_foster.jpg
Randall Flagg

mae
02-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I want Rose Madder dammit!

jhanic
02-01-2011, 12:26 PM
According to Ms Mod, King may not have any involvement in this remake.

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/20687-Question-about-Stand-movie

John

pixiedark76
02-01-2011, 02:43 PM

Me too! Rose Madder would be awesome on the big screen! Rose Madder does not get enough credit as an SK book!

pixiedark76
02-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm open to it Brice. I tend to totally disassociate any movie from the novel it came from and judge each on tis own merit. I know some people cannot do that and I repssect them for that - how boring it would be if we all thoguht the same way! For instance, I like Kubrik's The Shining and Kings novel is definitely in my top 5!

I do doubt that a single release can do the story justice - it will take several perhaps they could do it justice with three releases not unlike The Lord of the Rings - or think of the Harry Potter moveis with 8 movies to cover the 7 books. I dont think they would need something like that but three sounds good to me. Besides that gives me more of a King fix and that is shy I am here in the first place!

Besides this gives them a chance to get Franniw right!

Although in the miniseries I do think that they got the Trasncan Man perfefctly!

I thought that Molly Ringwald as Frannie was awesome! I loved the miniseries and I love the Frannie character!

pixiedark76
02-01-2011, 02:46 PM
[http://hollywoodmoviez.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ben_foster.jpg
Randall Flagg

They might need to age him up bit and make him look dirtier and scarier.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-01-2011, 06:27 PM
who's that? anyways?

Mattrick
02-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Ben Foster. Might recognize him from 3:10 Yuma, ArchAngel from X-Men, Pandorum and Six Feet Under. He's currently in The Mechanic with Jason Statham.

They might need to age him up bit and make him look dirtier and scarier.

If anything, make him look a little more aged or worn. As for scarier, I don't think they have to do much out what Jamie Sheridan did in the mini-series. Appear to be a normal if not cool and charismatic guy. I think someone outright scary would scare off more followers than not. Momentary scariness, without a doubt.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-01-2011, 06:40 PM
1stly it'e been a long ass time since i saw any of the x-men films but i believe you. if he was only in the 3rd one i never did see that one. but 3:10 to yuma' that was a decent film. but nothing special. not a shitty film as i was talking about in another thread. he he. but a decent film that you only watch once. anyways,

i never did see "Six Feet Under" so i can't see for myself if he is a good actor or not. but he does look more like Eddie's age that "Flagg's" but i do have to say that even though "Jamey Sheridan" is far to old now to play "Flagg" he had the right look for him when he played him.

the long hair & The clothes were a perfect fit. i'm watching "NCIS:Los Angelos" how about "Chris o"Donnel" as "Eddie" ? he may be to old for the role as well though

Mattrick
02-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Chris O'Donnell is awful.

candy
02-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Besides this gives them a chance to get Frannie right!

amen to that!!
and Flagg - that was the most disappointed i have ever been in a book character becoming a visual film character

Bev Vincent
02-03-2011, 04:49 PM
10 Things I know about the remake of The Stand (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/02/03/stephen-king-10-things-i-know-about-the-remake-of-the-stand/) (SK in EW)

Roland of Gilead 33
02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
well i think he's pretty good in 'NCIS: Los Angelos" which is one of my favorite shows

DanishCollector
02-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Was King's little piece an online exclusive or in the actual magazine?

Russ
02-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I started off excited as hell about this. Now, seeing king won't be involved, and it may be a two hour movie, I'm terrified. Also does anyone else seem to think this could be Warners answer to New Line doing the Dark Tower?

Bev Vincent
02-04-2011, 03:03 AM
The last issue of EW was a double issue, so there wasn't a new one this week. I think it was probably exclusively online.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-04-2011, 03:48 AM
10 Things I know about the remake of The Stand (http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/02/03/stephen-king-10-things-i-know-about-the-remake-of-the-stand/) (SK in EW)

9. They need to write in a lot of heavy-metal for the soundtrack.

Yeuch! That would turn it into another Maximum Overdrive.

CoolhandLocke
02-04-2011, 06:18 PM
I liked King's responses in the article, some were quite funny especially the Molly Ringwold and Popeye's chicken references lol. But why, oh why is he so into Mick Garris??? I've seen some good stuff Mick has done (or i liked anyway) but I've also seen some things i wish i hadn't or he at least wasn't involved in. It makes me a bit nervous too about another made for TV thing. A trilogy would be nice but i don't think that will happen, odd that all these King flicks are getting picked up quickly or in development to get remade according to IMDB. He has 10 in development including The Stand (which he seems to think won't get made) 4 in pre-development & 1 Grey Matter that's not out yet.

Does he have any control over the projects at all? I know for the dollar babies he gives rights for a buck to student film makers but what about the bigger ones?

Randall Flagg
02-08-2011, 07:22 AM
That's pretty funny.
M-O-O-N, that spells Molly Ringwald.

Odetta
02-08-2011, 07:36 AM
:lol:

KindredAutmn
03-08-2011, 01:10 PM
meh :orely:

EvaH
07-14-2011, 12:44 PM
David Yates, who directed the last four Harry Potter films, has the pick of the litter — or should we say, pick of the literature? — at the studio. The studio's top priority is a multi-picture adaptation of Stephen King’s The Stand. Our spies tell us that Yates is flying into town tomorrow, and has been rereading King’s epic-length supernatural classic. We’re told Yates will decide if he wants to do the film sometime in the next two weeks. It is a big commitment, as the studio wants to split the giant book into three parts. (Though one could imagine the studio backing away from that aspiration, just as we heard that Universal was getting nervous about its plan to turn King's Dark Tower series into three movies and a two-season TV series.)
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/07/harry_potter_dark_knight_rises.html

EvaH
08-10-2011, 10:33 PM
http://veryaware.com/2011/08/david-yates-and-steve-kloves-get-set-for-the-stand/

Warner Bros finalizing deals with Yates and HP screenwriter Steve Kloves.

Randall Flagg
08-11-2011, 07:15 AM
I would likely pay to see it/them.

mae
08-11-2011, 08:16 AM
http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/172471-david-yates-is-directing-the-stand

As you may recall, not long ago Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows director David Yates was considering an adaption of Stephen King's The Stand as a multi-film project. Well, good news folks: it's just about official. David Yates and Warner Bros. are finalizing an agreement right now, according to an exclusive at Hitfix.

It's nice being proven right, but you know what's nicer? Steve Kloves has signed on to adapt the apocalyptic novel for Yates, reuniting the team immediately following their collaboration on the Harry Potter franchise. Kloves has proven himself beyond children's book adapations, of course: he also wrote the Oscar-nominated screenplay for Wonder Boys, and wrote and directed both The Fabulous Baker Boys and Flesh and Bone. Talented guy, that Steve. He should call me.

What strikes us as interesting about this development is that the Harry Potter books and movies really grew with their fan base. Many of the original fans of the franchise are young adults by now - like, actually young adults, not just kids who shop in the "Young Adult" section of their local bookstore - making them the perfect demographic to pick up The Stand. If Warner Bros. plays its cards correctly ("From the Makers of Harry Potter," for example) there could be a significant cross-over audience.

CRAVE Online will be back with more The Stand news if we ever shake these spooky nightmares...

mae
08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1668923/harry-potter-david-yates-the-stand.jhtml

Hot off the success of the "Harry Potter" franchise, director David Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves are teaming up again to adapt another major literary property: Stephen King's "The Stand," for Warner Bros.

For the uninitiated, "The Stand" is a post-apocalyptic novel that follows a group of survivors after 99.4 percent of the human race is wiped out by the effects of a biological weapon. The remaining survivors break off into two camps, one based in Boulder, Colorado, which represents good, and the other in Las Vegas, which represents evil. The two camps eventually face off in a stand that determines the future of mankind.

When it comes to bringing a beloved novel to the big screen, Yates and Kloves certainly seem like the go-to pair, but "The Stand" is a different beast than "Harry Potter" in many ways. For one, the adult-oriented material is much darker than "Potter." Drew McWeeny of HitFix, who broke the news, told MTV News he thinks the way Yates and Kloves treated the darker aspects of the "Potter" movies is a mark in their favor as they gear up for the "Stand" collaboration.

"I think they've demonstrated as a team that they are capable of making extreme darkness palatable and ably depicting the struggle between good and evil," McWeeny said. "It might not have been the first team I thought of to adapt that book, but it's a damn good team."

MTV Movies Blog editor and "The Stand" fan Josh Wigler doesn't think the movie can be made with anything less than an R rating. Similarly, McWeeny said the film won't be an easy project for Warner Bros. to move through the studio.

When McWeeny first broke the story, he said it didn't make sense to bring "The Stand" to the screen again if it didn't expand upon the 1994 TV miniseries — and he offered that the new element should be the very disturbing material that made the novel a hit.

The novel, which features a massive cast of characters, is divided into three "books," and the assumption is that Yates and Kloves wouldn't attempt to adapt the story into just one movie. The larger question is whether Warner Bros. would make two movies or a trilogy out of "The Stand." McWeeny thinks it could go either way.

"I've been hearing that three is the magic number, creatively, and they want a trilogy," he said. "[But] two films may just make better economic sense for them. I do think there's a way to pull it off in two films, but that's when you really start cutting this to the bone and that may not be best for the story itself."

With Universal having passed on Ron Howard's ambitious attempt to adapt another King classic, "The Dark Tower," it seems fair to presume that Yates and Kloves may worry about making "The Stand" too big. But there are many elements of "The Stand" that make it more adaptable than "Dark Tower" ever was, McWeeny said.

"Even though ['The Stand' is] very big and has a ton of characters, there is a much more linear storytelling shape, and a simple film trilogy is something that Hollywood understands," he explained. "Coming off the final 'Potter' film, I think Yates and Kloves are the right team to get almost anything made."

Iwritecode
08-12-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm actually re-reading The Stand right now and I had completely forgotten that he divided it up into three "books". I'm just not sure that there's enough to make 3 whole movies out of it. Maybe 2.

JameseyLefebure
08-23-2011, 02:36 AM
Im both excited and really miffed at the same time when it comes to this. Yeah the original had some flaws, but I just can't see them working this right unless they do actually cut it into 3 movies - it would be easy to do. First Movie the deaths, the 2nd the journey/rebuilding and 3rd the end fight and all that jazz. Sadly i know that either way I'll *SO* end up in the cinema watching this lol.

jamesey
*im also putting in a bid for them to Jazz up Mother Abigail and have Whoopie Goldberg play her in the style of her ghost Character (well almost all of her 90's characters)

"Frannie - you in danger gurl!!"

admit it - you all want that :P
(i also have a vision of all the die hards Stand fan's heads exploding when they read that)

EvaH
10-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Warner Bros has chosen Ben Affleck to adapt and direct The Stand, Stephen King’s apocalyptic mammoth book. Affleck has become a cornerstone director for the studio, but this would be his greatest challenge yet. Even King has been reticent about the idea of making a feature of his book, which previously was turned into a miniseries. With The Town and Gone Baby Gone, Affleck has shown the grit necessary to handle such an unforgettable tale. It’s early days, but the studio loves Affleck, who’s now directing Argo.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/ben-affleck-warner-bros-choice-to-make-the-stand/

Merlin1958
10-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Warner Bros has chosen Ben Affleck to adapt and direct The Stand, Stephen King’s apocalyptic mammoth book. Affleck has become a cornerstone director for the studio, but this would be his greatest challenge yet. Even King has been reticent about the idea of making a feature of his book, which previously was turned into a miniseries. With The Town and Gone Baby Gone, Affleck has shown the grit necessary to handle such an unforgettable tale. It’s early days, but the studio loves Affleck, who’s now directing Argo.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/ben-affleck-warner-bros-choice-to-make-the-stand/

May be a bold choice and very possibly a good one. Certainly opens up some interesting potential casting possibilities!!!

Heather19
10-22-2011, 03:50 PM
If this turns out to happen I will be very excited. I never would have put the two together, but I am a huge fan of Affleck as a director. And I could see him making this into a really good theatrical film.

Merlin1958
10-22-2011, 03:53 PM
If this turns out to happen I will be very excited. I never would have put the two together, but I am a huge fan of Affleck as a director. And I could see him making this into a really good theatrical film.

Yeah, it has potential!!! It will be interesting to see what he does with it!!! He may have an "In" being a Boston-guy with King. Time will tell.

fernandito
10-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Ben Affleck ... seriously ? One of King's most pivotal works and the best we can do is Affleck ?

<_<

Bev Vincent
10-25-2011, 09:43 AM
I like the stuff he's directed recently. The Town, Gone Baby Gone.

ChristineB
10-25-2011, 10:07 AM
All I have to say is... Gary Sinise. If he is not Stu Redman then it will kill any remake for me. He was the best character adaptation of all the movies, closely followed by Kathy Bates in Misery.

So what happened to the guys from Harry Potter directing this? in August it was them doing it, now in October all the sudden it's Ben Affleck? I'm a bit lost here.

EvaH
11-12-2011, 11:10 AM
David Yates Says He’s Not Making THE STAND Because It Should Be TV Mini-Series

http://whatculture.com/film/david-yates-says-hes-not-making-the-stand-because-it-should-be-tv-mini-series.php

ChristineB
11-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Ty, Evah

Merlin1958
11-12-2011, 03:44 PM
TY as well Evah!!! And just where was our fearless TDT.Org Chief Correspondent (Pablo) on this one? LOL LOL

mae
11-12-2011, 04:26 PM
TY as well Evah!!! And just where was our fearless TDT.Org Chief Correspondent (Pablo) on this one? LOL LOL

Reading 11/22/63 of course!

Merlin1958
11-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Reading 11/22/63 of course!

Well okay. I'll give ya a pass on this one!!! LOL LOL

EvaH
01-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Writer Hired For Ben Affleck's Adaptation Of The Stand

Ben Affleck is hard at work finishing his next directorial effort, Argo, so that it will be ready for its September 14th release date, but that doesn't mean that he's not thinking towards the future as well. As first reported last October, Affleck has been signed by Warner Bros. to direct one of Stephen King's most popular works: The Stand. Adapted as a mini-series back in the mid-90s with Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald, the book has never been made into a feature film, but is now in development and is moving right along. How do I know that? Because they've just hired a new writer.

Vulture has learned that David Kajganich has been brought on board by Warner Bros. to pen the new adaptation of The Stand. While Kajganich's resume is fairly limited - his previous work includes 2009's Blood Creek with Henry Cavill and Oliver Hirschbiegel's Body Snatchers remake The Invasion - the studio is high on the writer because he recently wrote a version of Stephen King's IT that they really liked. Both projects are being produced by Roy Lee and Doug Davison, which further explains the connection. The book tells the story of a group of people trying to survive after a chemically weaponized super-flu has devastated the human population.

Should everything go according to plan, this will easily be Affleck's biggest directing project to date and I am fascinated to see how it turns out. He's proven himself more than competent twice now, with both Gone Baby Gone and The Town, and Argo has brought together one of the best casts of 2012, including Affleck himself, Bryan Cranston, John Goodman, Alan Arkin, Kyle Chandler and many more. Cross your fingers, people!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Writer-Hired-Ben-Affleck-Adaptation-Stand-28917.html

Jimimck
01-18-2012, 11:55 PM
Ben Affleck ... seriously ? One of King's most pivotal works and the best we can do is Affleck ?

<_<

TOTALLY AGREE!

mtdman
01-19-2012, 02:08 AM
The Town was a pretty damn good movie. IMO Affleck has done better directing than acting.

Merlin1958
01-19-2012, 05:24 PM
The Town was a pretty damn good movie. IMO Affleck has done better directing than acting.

Yeah "The Town" was good. You just may have something there with the Affleck as a director over actor thing.

mae
11-16-2012, 02:11 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/16/ben-affleck-the-stand_n_2143718.html

In October of 2011, Deadline.com reported that Ben Affleck was Warner Bros. top choice to direct an adaptation of Stephen King's "The Stand." The news was somewhat shocking in those pre-"Argo" days, if only because some two months earlier, HitFix reported that "Harry Potter" director David Yates was going to take on the project. (Yates never did; instead, he's working on a "Tarzan" adaptation for the studio.)

In January, Vulture reported that David Kajganich ("Invasion") was hired to adapt "The Stand," but precious little has been heard from the Free Zone since, but in a new interview with GQ, Affleck revealed that the film isn't near production just yet.

"Right now we're having a very hard time," he said. "But I like the idea -- it's like 'The Lord of the Rings' in America. And it's about how we would reinvent ourselves as a society. If we started all over again, what would we do?"

While he waits for "The Stand" to get into shape, Affleck is certainly keeping himself busy. He signed up to direct an adaptation of Dennis Lehane's novel "Live By Night" in October; that film will probably be his next feature. He's also still working on a script with Matt Damon about mobster Whitey Bulger.

"My guess is honestly, [it'll be] the movie after next," Affleck told The Playlist about the mob movie. "I'll probably find something that's in better shape to do next until we got that one ready, and then we'll go ahead and fire that one up. [...] We're in the process writing it, the script is not ready yet, it needs a lot more work."

Shannon
11-16-2012, 09:56 PM
I've always liked Ben Affleck. The actor, the director, the guy. The Town, for anyone that hasn't seen it, is an excellent, excellent, excellently made movie.

herbertwest
11-17-2012, 04:51 AM
I need to see ARGO. I wasnt interested at first, but now that i've found out more about this movie...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024648/

sgc1999
11-17-2012, 07:10 PM
I've always liked Ben Affleck. The actor, the director, the guy. The Town, for anyone that hasn't seen it, is an excellent, excellent, excellently made movie.

I thought "Gone baby gone" was fantastic too!

Merlin1958
11-17-2012, 07:12 PM
"The Town" was really great!! Too bad they didn't get fully away with robbing Fenway!!! LOL

Of course, no self respecting criminal would ever try to rob Yankee Stadium!!! LOL

Wuducynn
11-18-2012, 09:06 AM

Me too! Rose Madder would be awesome on the big screen! Rose Madder does not get enough credit as an SK book!

I am strongly with you both on this.
As far as The Stand re-make. I liked the made for TV movie quite a bit, but I have an open mind about the possibilities, especially if its a trilogy.

sgc1999
11-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I think Sabastian Bach would make a cool Randal Flagg:mad1:

Bev Vincent
08-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Scott Cooper Replacing Ben Affleck As Director Of Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ (http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/scott-cooper-replacing-ben-affleck-as-director-of-stephen-kings-the-stand/)

CyberGhostface
08-23-2013, 11:02 AM
:( I was looking forward to Affleck.

Merlin1958
08-23-2013, 07:50 PM
:( I was looking forward to Affleck.

I kind of was as well.

barlow
08-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Me too, I think all three of the films he has directed are excellent!

Ken

Merlin1958
08-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Me too, I think all three of the films he has directed are excellent!

Ken

I can only recall, "The Town" and "Argo". What am I missing?

Help?

barlow
08-23-2013, 08:20 PM
His feature film debut (as a director) Gone Baby Gone, based on the novel by Dennis Lehane! You should check it out if you haven't seen it.

Ken

Merlin1958
08-23-2013, 08:22 PM
His feature film debut (as a director) Gone Baby Gone, based on the novel by Dennis Lehane! You should check it out if you haven't seen it.

Ken

Ahh, yes!!! Thank you, my friend!!!

barlow
08-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Of course Wild Bill, you are welcome as always sir!

Ken

Merlin1958
08-23-2013, 08:44 PM

Ken

Want a "TMSG"? I offered my extra to "Ur2ndbiggestfan", who I had thought should have one, but alas, no response. I am not looking for much in return, just a "King" item of somewhat comparable value even if just close. Nobody, to me, should have multiple copies of this stuff on these boards. Let me know what you think...

Otherwise, since my efforts to make it a HF donation were not met with enthusiasm, I will just give it to my dear friend, Dolso.

Ricky
08-24-2013, 06:15 AM
...or your dear Secretary of Propaganda? :lol:

I'd love to have something you'd like to trade for it, but I don't. Just dinero.

Merlin1958
08-24-2013, 02:59 PM

Ken

Want a "TMSG"? I offered my extra to "Ur2ndbiggestfan", who I had thought should have one, but alas, no response. I am not looking for much in return, just a "King" item of somewhat comparable value even if just close. Nobody, to me, should have multiple copies of this stuff on these boards. Let me know what you think...

Otherwise, since my efforts to make it a HF donation were not met with enthusiasm, I will just give it to my dear friend, Dolso.

...or your dear Secretary of Propaganda? :lol:

I'd love to have something you'd like to trade for it, but I don't. Just dinero.

Too late. Ur2ndbiggestfan made a comeback and is searching for a trade item.

Bev Vincent
11-20-2013, 11:49 AM
'The Stand' Director Wants To Shoot On Location; Will Christian Bale Star? (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1717792/christian-bale-the-stand-scott-cooper.jhtml)
Writer/Director Scott Cooper speaks about the Stephen King adaptation.

Merlin1958
11-20-2013, 01:00 PM
'The Stand' Director Wants To Shoot On Location; Will Christian Bale Star? (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1717792/christian-bale-the-stand-scott-cooper.jhtml)
Writer/Director Scott Cooper speaks about the Stephen King adaptation.

Well, that was quite encouraging!! Thanks, Bev!! Bale as Flagg? I like it!

Bev Vincent
11-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Not so fast... http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/stand-adaptation-loses-director-658413

Ari_Racing
11-20-2013, 07:27 PM
LOL...this was a shocker:

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/340411-the-stand-feature-film-loses-its-director/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-stand-feature-film-loses-its-director&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Merlin1958
11-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Oh well, and on we go!!!

Joe315
11-20-2013, 10:42 PM
PG or PG 13?! It needs to be an R rated movie.

mae
11-21-2013, 08:22 AM
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1717848/the-stand-stephen-king-movie-universe.jhtml

Hollywood has been desperately looking for the next incarnation of the Marvel movie universe, a series of interconnected movies that lead to some giant conclusion. Reportedly Warner Brothers is attempting this with their DC Comics-based movies, and FOX wants to get in the game with the "X-Men" movies and the upcoming "Fantastic Four" reboot. But if you're looking for a truly original way to create a new, unique movie universe, look no further than novelist Stephen King.

The idea started tickling our brains after MTV News talked to writer/director Scott Cooper about his upcoming adaptation of King novel "The Stand." Unfortunately, since we broke that news it was announced that Cooper has since left the project. Though we're disappointed to see the talented director leave, this does create an opportunity for Warner Brothers to embrace the project in a whole new way.

In "The Stand," the enigmatic, potentially demonic Randall Flagg represents everything bad about the post-apocalyptic world of the book. He's an important figure in the novel, a commanding presence, and most importantly Flagg doesn't appear in just "The Stand." In fact, Flagg makes a brief appearance in King's "Hearts In Atlantis," as well as his fantasy novel "Eyes of the Dragon."

But the kicker is that Flagg is the main bad guy throughout King's epic "Dark Tower" series, popping in and out throughout history to torture protagonist Roland Deschain on his quest for the titular building. In these books it's revealed that Flagg has the ability to jump through dimensions, taking many names, and appearing in many different times and places.

This mega-story has allowed King to weave together nearly every other book and short story he's ever written, from the connective locations of Castle Rock and Derry, to little touches like a lost child's shoe in "Pet Sematary" showing up years later in an entirely different novel.

So imagine this for a moment. Rather than Samuel L. Jackson's heroic S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Nick Fury showing up at the end of every Marvel movie, teasing an ultimate "Avengers" team-up; instead one could have the villainous Randall Flagg popping in and out of a connected King universe of movies. Supporting this idea, Flagg's first appearance in a King novel was "The Stand," so kicking things off with the end-of-the-world adaptation makes a certain amount of sense. Release several other standalone King adaptations, have them all lead up to an epic series of "Dark Tower" films, and you could create something completely unique.

There are two potentially gigantic problems with this, of course. The first is the amount of time an actor playing Flagg would need to spend on the role. The easy answer is that with a few exceptions, Flagg only makes cameo appearances in the books. And where he does make a major appearance, he's often wearing a different face by using magic. You could have whoever is chosen play the role, sure. Or you could cast other actors, with a brief flash of the main actor late in the movie. Think Tom Hiddleston's "impersonations" in "Thor: The Dark World" and you have the gist.

The second problem is rights. And normally this would be a concern, except most of King's properties (or at least the ones involving Flagg) are all at Warner Brothers. The studio recently passed on a "Dark Tower" adaptation, and previously made a version of "Hearts in Atlantis" without the Flagg character, but that doesn't mean they couldn't reboot both with a strong plan. Warner Brothers also has a remake of King's "It" in the works, which has strong connections to the world of "The Dark Tower," as well as Flagg.

The only adaptations currently in the works that aren't at Warner Brothers are a remake of "Pet Semetary" (at Paramount), "Firestarter" (at Universal), "11/22/63" (optioned by Jonathan Demme, without a studio as of yet), and most crucially "Eyes of the Dragon," which is currently being developed at SyFy.

Still, with several novels already optioned, and numerous others ranging from "The Talisman" and its sequel "Black House," to paired novels "Desperation" and "The Regulators" all having strong ties to Flagg and the "Dark Tower" universe, there's a lot of material to work from.

It may be a pipe dream. It may be too big for any studio to handle. But if someone was to take a chance on creating a unique horror/fantasy universe on screen, it just might be the idea that truly takes what Marvel started to the next level.

Iwritecode
11-22-2013, 07:13 AM
In fact, Flagg makes a brief appearance in King's "Hearts In Atlantis,"

Why don't I remember this?

Bev Vincent
11-22-2013, 07:14 AM
It's subtle.

Iwritecode
11-22-2013, 07:29 AM
It's subtle.

I had to check Wiki. Now I remember.

mae
11-27-2013, 07:37 AM
http://www.iamrogue.com/news/movie-news/item/10187-warner-bros-hoping-paul-greengrass-will-tackle-stephen-kings-the-stand.html

Will Paul Greengrass be the guy to finally make The Stand into the epic motion picture event that Warner Bros. and CBS Films are dreaming of?

Too early to say with any authority.

Apparently, though, he's at the top of the directorial wishlist to tackle Stephen King's humdinger of a novel.

In 2011, when Warner Bros. first starting cooking up The Stand, King himself cheekily declared of the film, "you probably won’t see this anytime soon." So far he's been right, but that's not due to a lack of effort on the studio's part. Coming off of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, David Yates was courted to stare the Dark Man in the eye, with Steve Kloves (screenwriter of all but one Potter movie) writing.

After Yates and Kloves amicably broke up with The Stand, the adaptation started going steady with director Ben Affleck. While Affleck was working on Argo, David Kajganich signed on to write the screenplay. Eventually, studio favorite Affleck followed Yates down Not-Directing-The-Stand Ave.

Scott Cooper, the Crazy Heart director whose Out of the Furnace opens December 6th, took over in Affleck's stead, but just last week we learned that Cooper has also left the film in his rear-view mirror.

So with the director's chair again in need of a qualified butt to fill it, The Hollywood Reporter is reporting (from Hollywood) that candidates include Paul Greengrass (Captain Phillips), Cary Fukunaga (Jane Eyre), Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners), and Daniel Espinosa (Safe House). Badass Digest singles out Greengrass as the current number one choice.

Greengrass would no doubt make a fascinating The Stand. The director of white-knuckle fact-based dramas like Bloody Sunday and United 97 is best known for overseeing The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum. Almost a decade ago, he was on board to direct Watchmen before Warner Bros. even got a hold of it, and he's frequently on the wishlist for would-be spectacles like Cleopatra starring Angelina Jolie. He's been keen on Memphis, a chronicle of the last several months in Martin Luther King Jr.'s life, for several years now and even has Forest Whitaker on board to star. But we don't know what the status of that project is at this point.

The reason for the most recent directorial departure isn't clear, but it seems that there are some basic uncertainties regarding this adaptation, such as the rating and whether or not to condense the sprawling source material into one film.

This second concern is far from trifling. As an unabridged mass-market paperback, King's novel is 1,141 pages long. Awash in religious themes and supernatural flourishes, the story begins when a routine kerfuffle unleashes a highly infectious disease that initially looks like a common cold but leaves infected dead just in days. Attempting to cover up such biological warfare, the military adds horror upon horror but the infection, known as Captain Trips or Superflu, leaves the vast majority of the population dead inside of weeks. What follows is a ground-level view following as survivors make their way from all corners. The heroes, driven by dreams of saintly centenarian Mother Abigail, assemble in Colorado, where they attempt to reconstitute something like civilization in the Boulder Free Zone. In Las Vegas, meanwhile, survivors with a less idealistic bent are drawn to Randall Flagg, aka the Dark Man, the Walkin' Dude, and the Hardcase, a grinning, denim-wearing, skin-walking manifestation of evil.

The Stand is a truly huge story, one that follows sundry characters on journeys across a freshly deserted America. Despite the breadth of the storytelling, however, King's novel stays smartly human scale, almost entirely eschewing the type of big barn-burning action sequences that so often draw studios to material like this.

After he opted out of The Stand, Yates nailed down some of the difficulty inherent in turning the book into a big budget movie, saying, "Stephen King really puts you into these people’s lives, and you see the world from a very intimate human level, which normally is something I love. But we felt this pressure to make these super tentpole movies with this material, and the things that you get in Potter—which are these extraordinary episodes of action—they didn’t exist in the material, and I was worried I wouldn’t be able to deliver the kind of movie that ultimately the studio was hoping to get from this material. I could see making a miniseries from it, a really interesting, intricate, layered, enjoyable long-burn of a miniseries, I could see that, but what was missing for me were the big movie moments in the material, the big set pieces.”

Yates is on to something there. After he and George Romero spent much of the go-go Eighties trying to get a feature adaptation going, King wrote and executive produced a six-hour ABC miniseries directed by Mick Garris back in 1994. It's the only post-apocalyptic epic you'll ever see that includes Molly Ringwald mourning the loss of her father and indeed the world entire by listening to Crowded House. Probably.

Bev Vincent
02-26-2014, 03:19 AM
Josh Boone may be the next director to attempt to take on a feature version of Stephen King’s post-apocalyptic novel “The Stand” for Warner Bros. and CBS Films.

Boone is in early talks to helm the film, which previously had Scott Cooper, Ben Affleck and David Yates attached.

Boone directed Fox’s “The Fault In Our Stars,” which stars Shailene Woodley and will be released on June 6. He has a long relationship with King and his feature debut “Stuck in Love” included King’s voice.

The Stand won't be his first brush with King, however, since he's also currently attached to direct a movie version of King's smaller-scale Lisey's Story. Will he stay with that and do The Stand, or end up passing on one for the other? The discussions are ongoing and Warners has not commented so far.

Warner Bros. and CBS Films set up “The Stand” in 2011 with Mosaic and Roy Lee attached to develop and produce. CBS has the option to participate on the financing and Warners will handle worldwide marketing and distribution.

>>> Source (http://variety.com/2014/film/news/stephen-kings-the-stand-getting-another-director-1201121209/)

Bev Vincent
05-07-2014, 09:58 AM
According to Up & Comers (http://upandcomers.net/2014/05/07/nat-wolff-the-stand-josh-boone-the-fault-in-our-stars/): Nat Wolff will star in Josh Boone’s adaptation of “The Stand.” Apaprently this will be a single R-rated film.

herbertwest
05-07-2014, 10:36 AM
He confirmed to me that he has been hired to write and direct it as a 3h film.

Randall Flagg
05-07-2014, 11:39 AM
According to Up & Comers (http://upandcomers.net/2014/05/07/nat-wolff-the-stand-josh-boone-the-fault-in-our-stars/): Nat Wolff will star in Josh Boone’s adaptation of “The Stand.” Apaprently this will be a single R-rated film.
Which character?

Bev Vincent
05-07-2014, 11:50 AM
The article didn't specify. He's young -- maybe Larry Underwood.

Randall Flagg
05-07-2014, 11:53 AM
It would be hard to imagine him as RF.

Bev Vincent
05-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Yeah, or Stu Redman. Harold Lauder, maybe.

mtdman
05-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Making it as a single movie, even at 3h long, is going to leave out a lot of stuff. IMO why bother doing it if you can't do it right? Should at least be a 2 parter.

webstar1000
05-08-2014, 03:53 AM
Making it as a single movie, even at 3h long, is going to leave out a lot of stuff. IMO why bother doing it if you can't do it right? Should at least be a 2 parter.

Should be split into three parts. Like a trilogy.... filmed at once... release on each year for three years... THAT is how you do it. A good cast and script and you would have a winner...

mikeC
05-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Which character?

Looks like they might be making up characters:

"He tells THR that he's writing a part specifically for Wolff, making this the third project the duo will have worked on together."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fault-stars-actor-nat-wolff-701980

DanishFan
05-08-2014, 07:54 AM
He could perhaps be playing The Kid? Maybe the screenwriter modelled The Kid after Nat Wolff?

CyberGhostface
05-08-2014, 03:09 PM

A single film? What's the point? King himself wasn't able to fit the story in two films.

Joe315
05-08-2014, 07:13 PM

Should be split into three parts. Like a trilogy.... filmed at once... release on each year for three years... THAT is how you do it. A good cast and script and you would have a winner...

Where's Peter Jackson when you need him? He turned the Hobbit into three, so he could probably turn the Stand into a six part epic.

Jon
05-08-2014, 09:57 PM
I pray for better casting.

Merlin1958
05-09-2014, 04:02 PM

Where's Peter Jackson when you need him? He turned the Hobbit into three, so he could probably turn the Stand into a six part epic.

While I understand what you are saying, I don't feel it is fair to a degree. Jackson, is incorporating material from the LOTR appendices to flesh out "The Hobbit" films. I personally think he has done an admirable job of staying as true to the source material, large as it is, as possible.

I do agree though that he and, Ms. Boyens may be the right people for the job at hand in regards to "The Stand".

webstar1000
05-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Jackson would be amazing to do this.

skyofcrack
05-09-2014, 10:16 PM
I'd like to see Jackson tackle The Dark Tower.

webstar1000
05-10-2014, 03:37 AM
I'd like to see Jackson tackle The Dark Tower.

Sorry, yes that's a much better idea.

uturn83
05-13-2014, 08:23 AM
3 hrs..... Need HBO, Showtime, etc to tackle it! (along with IT!)

mattgreenbean
05-13-2014, 09:13 AM
3 hrs..... Need HBO, Showtime, etc to tackle it! (along with IT!)

AMC, A&E, FX, TNT would work.

CyberGhostface
05-13-2014, 11:27 AM
I think Frank Darabont could do DT justice. But he once told King he was interested and King turned him down. :angry_002:

Merlin1958
05-13-2014, 07:46 PM
I think Frank Darabont could do DT justice. But he once told King he was interested and King turned him down. :angry_002:

Really? I wonder why?

CyberGhostface
05-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Not much of an answer but...

“Frank did come to me, and I know Frank from before either one of us had a pot to piss in. Frank said, ‘Gee, I’d like to do Dark Tower.’ I said, ‘Frank, give me a break! You’ve got The Mist, The Monkey. You’ve got the prison stories. … Stop putting so much on your plate!’”

www.slashfilm.com/stephen-king-confirms-the-dark-tower-movie/

Merlin1958
05-14-2014, 08:41 AM
Not much of an answer but...

“Frank did come to me, and I know Frank from before either one of us had a pot to piss in. Frank said, ‘Gee, I’d like to do Dark Tower.’ I said, ‘Frank, give me a break! You’ve got The Mist, The Monkey. You’ve got the prison stories. … Stop putting so much on your plate!’”

www.slashfilm.com/stephen-king-confirms-the-dark-tower-movie/

Well, I guess there ya go!!

mae
06-06-2014, 06:37 AM
http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/josh-boone-interview-fault-in-our-stars-shailene-woodley-the-stand.html

So I’m a big Stephen King fan, and I know you’re a gigantic Stephen King fan, so I have to ask about The Stand. You’re directing it. What can you tell me about it?
We’re gonna do one three-hour, R-rated version with an amazing A-list cast across the board. Every single one of those characters will be somebody you recognize and somebody you relate to. And it’s gonna be awesome. I’m really excited. It’s the most exciting thing I’ve ever got to do in my entire life. If 12-year-old me had ever known that one day I’d be doing this, to even just go back and look at that kid, I’d be like, Keep doing what you’re doing! It’s just crazy. I’ve met so many actors over the years, and like, when I met Stephen King, I hugged him with tears in my eyes. He meant that much to me when I was young. I still say everything I learned about writing I learned from Stephen King. I don’t read screenplays. I don’t read screenplay how-to books. It’s always just, establish the character. Establish the character.

webstar1000
06-06-2014, 06:42 AM
http://www.vulture.com/2014/06/josh-boone-interview-fault-in-our-stars-shailene-woodley-the-stand.html

So I’m a big Stephen King fan, and I know you’re a gigantic Stephen King fan, so I have to ask about The Stand. You’re directing it. What can you tell me about it?
We’re gonna do one three-hour, R-rated version with an amazing A-list cast across the board. Every single one of those characters will be somebody you recognize and somebody you relate to. And it’s gonna be awesome. I’m really excited. It’s the most exciting thing I’ve ever got to do in my entire life. If 12-year-old me had ever known that one day I’d be doing this, to even just go back and look at that kid, I’d be like, Keep doing what you’re doing! It’s just crazy. I’ve met so many actors over the years, and like, when I met Stephen King, I hugged him with tears in my eyes. He meant that much to me when I was young. I still say everything I learned about writing I learned from Stephen King. I don’t read screenplays. I don’t read screenplay how-to books. It’s always just, establish the character. Establish the character.

I read that too.. I wonder what he means by A-List? I also think that 3 hours is no where near long enough...

Merlin1958
06-08-2014, 05:40 PM
You know, 3, maybe 3.5 hours could do it in the right hands. Movies are not books. A picture can be worth 1,000 words if, it is the right picture. Look at what LOTR did in comparison.

webstar1000
06-09-2014, 03:58 AM
You know, 3, maybe 3.5 hours could do it in the right hands. Movies are not books. A picture can be worth 1,000 words if, it is the right picture. Look at what LOTR did in comparison.

WELL SAID MERLIN! I have to totally agree with you on this point. In the right hands and the right acting.... oh and attention to detail... your 100% correct. A picture is worth a 1000 words!

Iwritecode
06-09-2014, 05:54 AM
The problem with that comparison is that all 3 LOTR books together are around the same length of The Stand by itself. And it took them 3 3.5 hour movies to cover the material and still left a lot out.

CyberGhostface
08-23-2014, 01:58 PM
Alright, alright, alright.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=122193

Merlin1958
08-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Alright, alright, alright.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=122193

I think he would work.

Bev Vincent
08-23-2014, 03:50 PM
@JoshBooneMovies: I have always wanted McConaughey as Stu and Bale as Flagg. Still not sure how that story leaked - just not true.

Merlin1958
08-23-2014, 04:12 PM
@JoshBooneMovies: I have always wanted McConaughey as Stu and Bale as Flagg. Still not sure how that story leaked - just not true.

Yeah, that's even better. I only went with it due to the article.

Lookwhoitis
08-23-2014, 06:26 PM
How in the heck do you give THE STAND to a neophyte Rom-Com director???

I mean jesus Christo, Guillermo del Toro or Alphonso Cuaron should be directing it.

Shannon
08-23-2014, 10:12 PM
I love Matthew McConaughey. He doesn't always pick the best movies, but when it calls for it, he is a DAMN good actor.

See: True Detective.

CyberGhostface
08-23-2014, 11:04 PM

Awww I thought McConaughey would have been a great Flagg. :( I like Bale but I think Matt's southern drawl would have been perfect...

Ah we'll at least either way we'd be getting an Oscar winner. Only the best for R.F.

mae
09-10-2014, 05:55 AM
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/stephen-king-absolutely-loved-josh-boones-script-for-the-stand-adaptation-748

In an interview with Collider, writer/director Josh Boone revealed he's finished the script for THE STAND adaptation, and says author Stephen King really enjoyed Boone's take on his novel.

I finished writing the script maybe a month ago. Stephen [King] absolutely loved it. It’s, I think, the first script ever approved by him. [It'll be] a single version movie of The Stand. Three hours. It hews very closely to the novel. It was such an amazing process. I’m so familiar with [King's] work and I’ve read so many of his books so many times over the years that it was just a really comfortable thing to be able to work with his material. He gives you so much great material to work with. There’s an abundance of it. So it’s not a book where you have to generate new material and make it work for a movie. He writes so cinematically and his characters are so sharply drawn. You don’t have to change much. [You use] a lot of structural things to condense a thousand pages into a three-hour movie but it’s still at heart his material. I just made it work within the confines of what a single film can be.

It's interesting Josh Boone says new material doesn't need to be created to make THE STAND work as a movie, since David Kajganich's draft of the adaptation had a very different ending compared to the novel. Sounds like Boone might not be using Kajganich's ending for the film.

Josh Boone goes on to talk about deciding what to leave out from King's book for the movie, and says spring of next year is the earliest production might start on the project.

I just focused on the things that I felt strongly about, that I have strong memories about, that are evocative to me even when I read it now. You just have an internal interest meter. The Stand is about so many things — you could make ten to fifteen different movies and focus on a different aspect of it. I just focussed on the things that were more important to me and felt essential to me and were based in the characters...It takes a long time to prep a film like that. Six to eight months. I don’t imagine we would shoot the movie until next Spring at the earliest. And we’re still early in the process. I’m still meeting actors and having budget meetings and all that.

If Boone has already been meeting with actors for THE STAND, maybe one of them was Matthew McConaughey, who last month we learned might be being eyed by Warner Bros. to play Randall Flagg in the adaption. Boone previously promised "an amazing A-list cast across the board" for his movie, and I'm really hoping McConaughey does end up playing the villain.

Josh Boone's THE STAND doesn't currently have a release date. When do you think would be a good time for it to hit theaters? During the summer? Flu season?

Merlin1958
09-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Very interesting!!

webstar1000
09-11-2014, 08:57 AM
http://collider.com/the-stand-movie-details-three-hour-cut-josh-boone/?_r=true

Derg Corra
09-11-2014, 04:27 PM
Don't screw it up, Hollywood! The Stand is my favorite Stephen King standalone novel.

iJosh
09-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Yay :P:D

mae
11-20-2014, 06:47 AM
So, four movies now?

http://smodcast.com/episodes/hollywood-babble-on-bonus-babble-on-hollywood-josh-boone-the-fault-in-our-stand/

Cixelsyd
11-20-2014, 05:27 PM
So, four movies now?

http://smodcast.com/episodes/hollywood-babble-on-bonus-babble-on-hollywood-josh-boone-the-fault-in-our-stand/

I was listening to this today and got really excited. Boone came across as a really interesting guy and it was clear that he was a HUGE fan of King. He described growing up reading the novels and his deep knowledge and respect for King's work was obvious.

When he was talkiing about The Stand, he said he actually turned it down multiple times, because he thought it couldn't be done right with a single movie, but was persuaded to take it on after his agent sent him a couple scripts that had been floating around. Boone said the scripts had the film as a summer blockbuster and he knew that was all wrong. The book isn't about big action set pieces in his mind, but about the characters. (VERY GOOD SIGN)

He also said that his first draft was over three hours and that he had everyone sold on the film with an $87 million budget and that King loved the script. However, he then said the studio actually came to him and told him they wanted to go bigger and offered him 4 films with the budget for a top flight cast.

After listening to this interview, I am sold on the project and I am completely sold on the director. This guy GETS IT. He's talented and he's a fan of the material. I'm excited now!

PS - He's also a huge Tower Junkie. He told a story about sending the first three DT novels to King as a teenager and getting them back with a continuous letter from King to him in the covers -- the kind gesture from King was apparently enough to convince his born again christian parents to lift their previous ban on King novels in the house.

Jon
11-21-2014, 02:34 AM
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/stephen-king-absolutely-loved-josh-boones-script-for-the-stand-adaptation-748

In an interview with Collider, writer/director Josh Boone revealed he's finished the script for THE STAND adaptation, and says author Stephen King really enjoyed Boone's take on his novel.

I finished writing the script maybe a month ago. Stephen [King] absolutely loved it. It’s, I think, the first script ever approved by him. [It'll be] a single version movie of The Stand. Three hours. It hews very closely to the novel. It was such an amazing process. I’m so familiar with [King's] work and I’ve read so many of his books so many times over the years that it was just a really comfortable thing to be able to work with his material. He gives you so much great material to work with. There’s an abundance of it. So it’s not a book where you have to generate new material and make it work for a movie. He writes so cinematically and his characters are so sharply drawn. You don’t have to change much. [You use] a lot of structural things to condense a thousand pages into a three-hour movie but it’s still at heart his material. I just made it work within the confines of what a single film can be.

It's interesting Josh Boone says new material doesn't need to be created to make THE STAND work as a movie, since David Kajganich's draft of the adaptation had a very different ending compared to the novel. Sounds like Boone might not be using Kajganich's ending for the film.

Josh Boone goes on to talk about deciding what to leave out from King's book for the movie, and says spring of next year is the earliest production might start on the project.

I just focused on the things that I felt strongly about, that I have strong memories about, that are evocative to me even when I read it now. You just have an internal interest meter. The Stand is about so many things — you could make ten to fifteen different movies and focus on a different aspect of it. I just focussed on the things that were more important to me and felt essential to me and were based in the characters...It takes a long time to prep a film like that. Six to eight months. I don’t imagine we would shoot the movie until next Spring at the earliest. And we’re still early in the process. I’m still meeting actors and having budget meetings and all that.

If Boone has already been meeting with actors for THE STAND, maybe one of them was Matthew McConaughey, who last month we learned might be being eyed by Warner Bros. to play Randall Flagg in the adaption. Boone previously promised "an amazing A-list cast across the board" for his movie, and I'm really hoping McConaughey does end up playing the villain.

Josh Boone's THE STAND doesn't currently have a release date. When do you think would be a good time for it to hit theaters? During the summer? Flu season?

So this implies that they are going to use the unabridged version...too cool!!!

herbertwest
11-21-2014, 03:37 AM
If the project is innovating, I wouldn't be surprised if, somehow, the 4 movies would be based on 4 different characters?
What would you think of that?

Jon
11-21-2014, 08:06 AM
mm...Which four?

I suspect that would never tell the story.

herbertwest
11-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Dunno.
Or something like :
1 movie from the point of view of the Good People. One from Randall Flagg... then the two point of view would match in the last 2 movies and they would complete the story?

skyofcrack
11-21-2014, 09:19 AM
I'm assuming the first film will be called Captain Trips. Boone said that the Lincoln tunnel scene would not be in the first picture.

Merlin1958
11-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Four movies seems like too much IMHO Three, yes. Four, no JMHO

skyofcrack
11-21-2014, 09:42 AM
Four movies seems like too much IMHO Three, yes. Four, no JMHO

If each of the four films is 2 hours, that's only 2 hours longer than the TV mini-series.

4 x 2.5 hours seems about right. 250 pages x 4.

Anubis2347
11-21-2014, 09:49 AM
If they can take a short book like The Hobbit and turn it into 3 (Long) movies, surely they can turn The Stand into 4.

webstar1000
11-21-2014, 09:51 AM
If they can take a short book like The Hobbit and turn it into 3 (Long) movies, surely they can turn The Stand into 4.

True. Not opposed to 4. I think 3 is just what we are used to and been told for so many years.... Just hope it is done really well...

Merlin1958
11-21-2014, 10:25 AM

True. Not opposed to 4. I think 3 is just what we are used to and been told for so many years.... Just hope it is done really well...

Well, actually, Jackson utilized the Hobbit, as well as the extensive appendices in LOTR to create his film. One problem, King has always had in translating his novels to the screen is that a lot of his great stuff just doesn't translate as well to film. In film, sometimes less is more. So much of the story we love comes from a form of narrative that doesn't work in films all the time. This is all just MHO.

skyofcrack
11-21-2014, 11:23 AM
The key to a great film is:

1. Great script
2. Passionate filmmakers
3. Great casting

Most of the bad King films lacked all three of these.

Cixelsyd
11-21-2014, 12:12 PM
The key to a great film is:

1. Great script
2. Passionate filmmakers
3. Great casting

Most of the bad King films lacked all three of these.

In that recent Smith interview, Boone spends a lot of time talking about why previous adaptations of King's works have fallen flat and he points repeatedly to "tone."

His thoughts were that everything for a good movie were already included in the material by King, but they aren't used by the film makers for one reason or another. He talked about Kubrick's Shining and how great it was as a film, but then said that the book really hadn't been done by Kubrick because it leaves out much of the struggling with alcoholism and the guilt over breaking Danny's arm, which underlies the entire plot and why the hotel can prey upon this weakness. He also pointed to Christine and how the entire love/tragedy/sadness angle was left out and it became simply a killer car movie.

That's why he says he is so against a "blockbuster" Stand with a bunch of action set pieces (he pointed to World War Z here) and instead wants to make a version that is as true to the novel as he can make it, with the focus being on the characters and the relationships between them.

Jon
11-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Dunno.
Or something like :
1 movie from the point of view of the Good People. One from Randall Flagg... then the two point of view would match in the last 2 movies and they would complete the story?

A good idea. Much would be lost but then again, much will be lost...it is a movie. That may work.

mae
11-21-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm surprised they didn't discuss him doing The Dark Tower maybe :biggrin:

Robert Fulman
11-21-2014, 12:58 PM
I think they should do a Stephen King themed movie universe (like Marvel's), with a single actor playing RF across various stories. That would be cool.

skyofcrack
11-21-2014, 01:54 PM
I just watched Boone's Stuck In Love. A pretty good film with some nice performances. I had no idea King had made a (voice) appearance and that one of the characters is a huge fan and has a bookcase full of SK's novels including the S/L Dark Tower books and TWTTK artist AND limited. He also has Dark Tower art all over his walls. He gives his girlfriend a copy of CD's GE of It.

Jon
11-21-2014, 04:46 PM
I think they should do a Stephen King themed movie universe (like Marvel's), with a single actor playing RF across various stories. That would be cool.

Good idea...start with Eyes of the Dragon.

herbertwest
05-14-2015, 02:18 AM
Josh Boone is planned to direct a XMEN movie spin off : The New Mutants

webstar1000
05-14-2015, 04:58 AM
Josh Boone is planned to direct a XMEN movie spin off : The New Mutants

Heard that... I wonder if that will be before the Stand.. the article I seen mentioned the Stand... but not whether it would be filmed before or after...

herbertwest
05-14-2015, 08:52 AM
I wonder too. So far, Josh's name has been confirmed for The Stand, Lisey, Xmen.
I thought that the stand project was back on tracks, and I am sure that the Xmen project will probably require focus for about 2 years.... so where does his other projects stand in this?

mae
06-05-2015, 02:35 PM
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/447603-stephen-kings-the-stand-to-begin-as-eight-part-television-miniseries

While things haven’t been going so well for New Line’s planned big screen take on Stephen King’s IT, the future of Warner Bros. Pictures’ adaptation of the author’s massive 1978 novel The Stand is looking bigger and brighter than ever! According to a story today at The Wrap, the current plan is to, in an unprecedented move, begin the story on television. An eight-part Showtime miniseries event is being eyed, which would set up the story and its characters to culminate in director Josh Boone’s feature film.

Previously adapted as a television miniseries in 1994, The Stand tells the story of a full-scale apocalypse, driven by the accidental release of a biological weapon and the ensuing struggle of good versus evil carried out by the world’s final survivors.

Previous reports suggested that Academy Award-winning actor Matthew McConaughey was being sought to play the story’s villain, the demonic figure Randall Flagg. Apropos of nothing, King’s book itself recently made a brief-but-memorable cameo opposite the star in Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar.

Boone is said to be a longtime fan of King and even gave the novelist a cameo in his 2012 film, Stuck in Love. He’s also already attached to 20th Century Fox’s upcoming X-Men spinoff, The New Mutants. He’s also attached to helm the Universal Pictures project The Vampire Chronicles, based on Anne Rice’s famous series of novels.

CyberGhostface
06-05-2015, 04:51 PM
I've said it for Dark Tower and I'll say it here... I don't think a television to movie adaptation is a good idea unless you can find a way to make the two work independently of one another. I do think eight episodes and a movie is better than DT's proposed 'a movie then a TV show then a movie' but I'd rather see it as an R-rated film trilogy.

Johnny Alien
06-05-2015, 06:41 PM
I've said it for Dark Tower and I'll say it here... I don't think a television to movie adaptation is a good idea unless you can find a way to make the two work independently of one another. I do think eight episodes and a movie is better than DT's proposed 'a movie then a TV show then a movie' but I'd rather see it as an R-rated film trilogy.

With the Dark Tower I would bet that the TV stuff would be all the flashback stuff (Wizard and Glass). That way they would not need to pay the main actor salaries by using a whole new cast and the movies would not hinge on you watching the show although it would be greatly enhanced.

Bev Vincent
06-06-2015, 04:46 AM
With DT, the original plan was to focus on characters on TV and action on the big screen.

Johnny Alien
06-06-2015, 06:39 AM
With DT, the original plan was to focus on characters on TV and action on the big screen.

I have heard that but I simply can't figure out how that would work. Plus I am sure the plan has changed a few times. The last comment from someone that read the script said that the first three books were merged into the first film. If that is actually true (and I am far from someone that could verify) then that would point to them not using the show to do character build up. Using the show for back story just makes a ton of sense from both a financial perspective and from a viewers perspective as it does not force anyone to see the show on a channel they don't pay for. But if it ever gets off the ground they will do what they do regardless of what I feel is a good idea. :) I do feel that if they don't do Wizard and Glass as part of the TV series then it will possibly be dropped altogether. Which is something I wouldn't be happy about.

Iwritecode
06-08-2015, 05:12 AM

Agreed.

I don't see how you can split up the story and have it make sense if someone doesn't see either the TV show or the movie. They are either going to have a movie that drops into the middle of the action or backtracks a lot of the ground covered by the TV show.

I'm not sure how the show could have any kind of satisfying ending either without literally saying: "Ok, now go watch the movie to see how it all works out".

divemaster
06-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Apropos of nothing, but an interesting tidbit nonethelss...

I just sold a whole bunch of my Arkham House collection to Josh Boone. A couple of King items as well. Over 20 books.

Xerrand
06-27-2015, 10:39 AM
I generally hate when they take books I love and transfer them to the screen, but I think the stand is really suitable for this, and a decent re-make would be amazing! Can't wait

herbertwest
08-03-2015, 12:21 AM
I dont really understand how "busy" some people are.
- JJ Abrams deals with Star Wars 7 (which I would have thought would have kept him busy until the release day), 11/22/63 and some other projects.
- Josh Boone :
o The Stand,
o Josh Boone to write and direct new X-Men spinoff, The New Mutants (http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/13/xmen-new-mutants-josh-boone)
o Lisey's Story? (http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/2013/09/27/josh-boone-bring-stephen-kings-liseys-story-big-screen/)
o and according to this new article : the reboot of Anne Rice’s The Vampire Chronicles, as well as "He will write the screenplay for The Drowning Girl, while Kiernan will be writing The Red Tree" (http://io9.com/caitlin-r-kiernans-drowning-girl-and-the-red-tree-opti-1721569136?utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_twitter&utm_source=io9_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow)

Ari_Racing
08-03-2015, 02:01 PM
It's not like they're doing all this at the same time...I think they probably work less hours than we do.

mae
10-26-2015, 08:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbV-dygz18c

Wicked
10-27-2015, 09:54 PM
Thank you for that video, Pablo :)

Who is that guy that hasn't read 'The Stand'!? I'll admit, I'd not read it, until I saw the mini-series, but after I did, I had to read it, and I was so glad I did. You miss so much just relying on the condensed version that was offered via the mini-series. It was good, but it was condensed.

There were a few books I had my kids read when they were growing up that schools traditionally don't introduce them to. Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card), Thief of Always (Clive Barker) and starting HS, The Stand. They have both grown to not only love the work of King (though they're not quite the junkie I am...yet) but they both, to my amusement always mutter that someone has 'Captain Trips' when they hear someone cough madly in public, or tell me "them summertime colds are the worst, old timer!" when I'm down sick.

If they're going to remake 'The Stand', I just hope it is done well. Perhaps maybe.. tie it in to that 'Dark Tower' movie I've been waiting on for forever... :lovely:

rockthecasbah
10-28-2015, 01:51 PM
I tried rereading The Stand but couldn't get the rancid TV Mini-Series out of my head. All I could picture was Molly Ringwald, Corin Nemic, and Gary Sinese.

Merlin1958
10-28-2015, 01:54 PM
I tried rereading The Stand but couldn't get the rancid TV Mini-Series out of my head. All I could picture was Molly Ringwald, Corin Nemic, and Gary Sinese.

IDK, I actually thought some of the casting was rather good. Sinese as Stu was good, The Trashcan Man was very good, Rob Lowe as the mute was fair and the guy who played Tom Cullen was great. To name a few. However, the series as a whole stunk.

rockthecasbah
10-28-2015, 02:30 PM
The TV series was definitely "Low Budget Night at The Apollo" Something along the line of The Walking Dead FX would have helped. I forget exactly, but there was a scene where someone was being chased in a car and out of nowhere a port-o-john gets into the scenery. Apparently a mistake that wasn't corrected in editing.

mtdman
10-28-2015, 04:46 PM
I loved the TV miniseries. I own it on DVD and watch it a couple times a year. Molly Ringworm is great in that show. IMO they shouldn't try to make a new movie, they got it right the first time in the 90s.

Merlin1958
10-28-2015, 04:51 PM
I loved the TV miniseries. I own it on DVD and watch it a couple times a year. Molly Ringworm is great in that show. IMO they shouldn't try to make a new movie, they got it right the first time in the 90s.

I should correct myself. It didn't "stink", but it wasn't great either. It is all we have, visually but it also screams "Made for TV" when I watch it and I'll click on it when it is playing on cable now and again. It should benefit substantially, in the right hands, on the big screen, IMHO

Wicked
10-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Oh, I can re-read The Stand over and over and always find it a joy compared to the mini-series.

I too liked Sinese, Lowe, Max Headroom (Trash) and Tom Cullen in their roles. I've never liked Molly Ringwald in anything, but that dark hair just didn't suit her, she looked like she was playing a part (and you want to immerse yourself in what you watch, not think, "what a bad wig!") The Rat Man was great. The Judge? Loved him. Glenn? Perfect. Nadine..blech. Larry? Flagg? Room for improvement, I think.

I think I'd like to see what can be done with this now that I really think about it, and I too, own it on DVD and do watch it, however, I'm okay with something being 'updated' if it's not "roont" in the process.

TCCBodhi
10-30-2015, 07:52 PM
Ruby Dee was also great in it, though she was hindered by a horrible prosthetic and makeup job in it.

Wicked
10-30-2015, 11:39 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot all about Mother Abigail. She was great in her role, Ruby Dee, though wasn't she? She did what Molly couldn't do, she made me believe for a time, regardless of budget and limitations, that she was who she was supposed to be, Mother Abigail.. I suppose that's why I didn't even think about it!

mae
02-02-2016, 09:07 PM
As posted by Bev in its own new thread:

Josh Boone Pushes Back Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ To Next Direct ‘Revival (http://deadline.com/2016/02/josh-boone-stephen-king-revival-the-stand-the-fault-in-our-stars-1201694681/)

M-O-O-N
02-04-2016, 08:46 PM
I hope they do it right.

mae
02-19-2016, 08:20 AM
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/producer-says-the-stand-is-in-a-holding-pattern-plans-for-companion-tv-series-axed-20160219

The plans for the new movie adaptation of Stephen King's "The Stand" were once quite ambitious with talk of the author's massive novel being split between four movies, along with an eight-episode companion miniseries. However, the project was recently put on hold, and director Josh Boone moved on to another King adaptation, "The Revival" starring Samuel L. Jackson. According to producer Roy Lee, "The Stand" is still being retooled, with the possibility of bringing the massive book down to one, big movie.

“Right now it’s just in a holding pattern trying to figure out how to best make the movie because we’ve toyed with breaking it up into multiple movies, making it into one, making it into two. The latest draft, Josh Boone had written it and he was very anxious to make it but since then has written another script, 'Revival,' which he’s gonna do beforehand, so we’re just waiting for that,” Lee told Collider.

"...we’ve been experimenting with trying to see what the one movie would look like," he added. "If you do the one movie, you obviously have to take out a big portion of the book, so trying to balance what to keep and what to cut out was a long process because there’s so much to go through. So that’s why it’s been a long process. Right now it’s written as two movies.”

Reading between lines, one senses that Warner Bros. aren't quite ready to gamble on a big Stephen King franchise, and perhaps given the studio's current, heavy investment in their DC Films, that's understandable. But it does seem a bit foolish to try and whittle down an 800-page plus novel into a single movie, even if it is three hours long. As for the the proposed TV series, Lee says the ABC series from the '90s is quite good as it is, but the bigger issue was trying to figure out how to weave the movies and shows together.

"...the logistics made it very difficult to try to do a worldwide launch of a movie when the TV component would not necessarily be released at the same time worldwide. So it became a logistic nightmare to try to figure that out, so that plan was abandoned,” he said.

It's a bit interesting in that context to consider that Sony and MRC are still pushing ahead with their planned multiple movie and TV series adaptation of King's "The Dark Tower," and don't seem to be troubled by the ambition required.

All told, it sounds like "The Stand" might be a long way off, so we'll have to wait and see if Boone and Lee can crack the code to make it a satisfying take on the book, but one that won't require too much risk from the studio.

Merlin1958
02-19-2016, 09:04 PM
First, great article, Pablo (TDT.Org Sr. Correspondent)!!!!! JMHO, but given, King's past history of films made from his material (not an indictment on, King's work, but more of one on how Hollywood has chosen to adapt it) in the past, I could see why they might hesitate on taking a risk on "The Stand" (which also has a "Made for TV" version to consider) into a "Current Franchise". The "bean Counters" might be turning over in their sleep.

However, I am mystified as to why they haven't exploited the "Marvel" angle (As someone else suggested in the "DT Film" thread) to cash in on the whole fantasy/Action heroes/comics craze for franchise material with regard to TDT. Seems like a natural. Probably comes down to current "Rights" and "Negotiations" in the end. However, you would think that with "Universal" trotting out an intricate "Classic Movie Monster Universe", DC with MGM (?) universe, the "Marvel Universe success and even the recent deal by "Sony & Marvel" on Spiderman, that everyone would be drooling on this with dreams of "LOTR" dancing in their heads. Again, JMHO and a thought.

Lookwhoitis
02-19-2016, 09:15 PM
The suits that have the rights to the Dark Tower dont want to give the opportunity to make the money to the Marvel Suits. They want to mine the gold themselves.

Merlin1958
02-19-2016, 09:43 PM
The suits that have the rights to the Dark Tower dont want to give the opportunity to make the money to the Marvel Suits. They want to mine the gold themselves.

Well, yeah. With all due respect that is just what I was (kinds) getting at. LOL

You ever really consider me to be a "Poet/Writer"?????? LOL J/K LOL

Bunyip
02-20-2016, 01:21 AM
I just hope they finally make something. It deserves it....WE deserve it!Lol....I would actually be really happy with a high quality animated series. Rated R, very graphic, no holds barred animation. I think that would rock, and it would make it easier to stay true to the story, and characters...

CyberGhostface
03-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Boone:

"My adaptation is incredibly faithful to King’s book, but the way I was able to contain all of it in a single three-hour film is: I shattered King’s structure and told the story non-linear. That was really what broke everything open for me. The opening scene is Mother Abigail on her deathbed sending our heroes off to make their stand against the Dark Man in Vegas, and then we jump back in time and you basically have three spinning timelines going the whole movie–Captain Trips, Boulder, and The Stand, same as the book, but they are all happening simultaneously. Sequences that fall hundreds of pages apart in the book stand side-by-side in the film, echoing and resonating in new and strange ways. I remain incredibly excited about that script. I can’t wait to make it. The Stand is the movie of a lifetime so I’m completely content waiting until someone gives us exactly what we need to do it right rather than to compromise.”

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/157853/josh-boone-talks-elevating-horror-stand-vampire-chronicles-revival/

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but I can't see one movie -- even a three hour one -- doing this justice.

mae
09-28-2017, 01:06 PM
http://movieweb.com/the-stand-salems-lot-movie-tv-reboots-stephen-king/

It's a great time to be a Stephen King fan. The wild success of IT has brought a renewed interest in the author's work, which means we are bound to be getting some new adaptations of his beloved stories in the near future. There are quite a few King projects already in development, but what else could we see in the next couple of years? According to King, it looks like The Stand and Salem's Lot are up next.

The 70-year-old author spoke with Vulture recently and talked a bit about what may be coming down the pipeline. Adaptations of Gerald's Game and 1922 are coming to Netflix very soon, but Stephen King says that some of his bigger, more recognizable stories, are possibly going to get new adaptations soon. The Stand is, once again, possibly going to be done as a TV series and Salem's Lot may finally be made as a proper movie. Here's what he had to say about it.

"There's talk about doing The Stand as an extended TV series, possibly for Showtime or CBS All Access. And there's been some interest in developing Salem's Lot as a feature, probably because people are saying, 'Well, we took an old miniseries called IT and turned it into a phenomenon, so maybe we can do it with something else.' Nothing succeeds like excess!"

The Stand is something that Hollywood has been trying to crack for a while now. At one point, The Fault in Our Stars director Josh Boone was working on a movie adaptation, but we haven't heard anything about that for a while. The Stand was adapted into a series in 1994 that, at best, is very dated and, even in its time, didn't live up to the full potential that exists in the source material. As for the whole CBS All Access thing, that bit makes sense, as the network is trying to create very attractive, exclusive content to attract subscribers to the service. They already started with Star Trek: Discovery. A high-dollar Stephen King adaptation would be another huge get for the streaming service.

As for Salem's Lot, that is one of the Stephen King novels most deserving of a modern adaptation. As King points out, the novel was done as a TV movie in 1979 by Texas Chainsaw Massacre director Tobe Hooper. It would make sense for a studio to look at the success of IT and try to do the same thing with Salem's Lot. If done correctly, it could bring in the same kind of financial reward. Stephen King also says an animated feature based on one of his works is happening, but he can't tell us anything about it right now.

"There's talk about another thing, an animated feature, but I can't tell you anything further, it's a secret. That looks like it might happen."

While speaking with Vulture, the author also commented on the Insomnia VR series, saying that he hasn't heard a word about the project in quite some time. In any case, if you're a Stephen King fan, get ready for a whole bunch of new movies and shows based on his work, good and bad, over the coming years. Let's just hope if The Stand and Salem's Lot do wind up moving forward, they're done right this time.

mae
10-18-2017, 05:46 AM
http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=5865

I am still working on The Stand and will be making it next as soon as New Mutants opens in April as a limited series. I've been working on it for four years and I promise you it will be a faithful adaptation of the book with an incredible cast.

St. Troy
10-18-2017, 05:58 AM
"Limited series" being the key words here. Hopes rising...

mattgreenbean
10-18-2017, 06:02 AM

Yep, give it enough time to be a complete vision yet limit it's run so it doesn't fade off into Sucktown.

webstar1000
10-18-2017, 06:03 AM
How many 1 hour (Netflix style length) episodes to do this right? 10 I would say as the min... max... 16.

St. Troy
10-18-2017, 06:05 AM
...limit it's run so it doesn't fade off into Sucktown.

Right.

Imagine if they did a "Mist" with it: we open with everyone already having moved to either Boulder or Vegas, and everyone settles in, finds a boyfriend/girlfriend, Mother Abigail confuses everyone and inspires no one, and we never really hear much about Flagg...yeah, don't do that.

herbertwest
10-18-2017, 09:56 AM

The way I read it, "limited series" was about the New Mutant series, no?

I quote : "I am still working on The Stand and will be making it next as soon as New Mutants opens in April as a limited series."

Bev Vincent
10-18-2017, 10:25 AM

I quote : "I am still working on The Stand and will be making it next as soon as New Mutants opens in April as a limited series."

I thought that at first, too, but The New Mutants is definitely a feature film, so "limited series" must pertain to The Stand.

webstar1000
10-18-2017, 10:26 AM

I thought that at first, too, but The New Mutants is definitely a feature film, so "limited series" must pertain to The Stand.

AGREED

herbertwest
10-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Somehow I was convinced that it was an upcoming serie to be released on Netflix, not a movie

Bev Vincent
10-18-2017, 12:28 PM
Somehow I was convinced that it was an upcoming serie to be released on Netflix, not a movie

I asked him to clarify -- I'll let you know how he responds.

mae
10-18-2017, 01:43 PM
No, The New Mutants is certainly a film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9e410C__I

herbertwest
10-19-2017, 09:17 AM
I agree wixth that (which I didnt know) but i've also read today an article saying that Josh Boone sees THE NEW MUTANTS as a trilogy of horror movies, each being in a different genre of horror

So that means that he plans on doing another 2 movies at some point

Sai Sheb
10-21-2017, 01:29 AM
I know I'm in the minority, but I liked the original film.
Really hope after four years in the making this hits the spot like a drunk in a brass house...

mae
03-30-2018, 02:57 PM
http://www.slashfilm.com/the-stand-series/

A new adaptation of Stephen King‘s massive post-apocalyptic novel The Stand has been brewing for years. The Fault in our Stars and The New Mutants director Josh Boone has been attached to direct the adaptation since 2014, but the project has been delayed. Now, an update has arrived: The Stand might end up as a 10-hour CBS All Access series. More on The Stand series below.

Just what in the name of Captain Trips is going on with the new adaptation of Stephen King’s The Stand? New Mutants director Josh Boone has been attached to helm a new take on King’s tome of terror for years, but the project hit a roadblock and ended up in limbo sometime around 2016. Now, we finally have an update. The Tracking Board reports that Boone is still attached, and that the adaptation “is coming together as a ten-hour limited series at CBS All Access.” CBS All Access is CBS’s subscription streaming service, home to Star Trek: Discovery and The Good Fight.

King’s lengthy novel concerns the breakdown of society following a mutated flu outbreak that kills 99% of humanity in the span of a few weeks. The book focuses on two specific sets of survivors – a group lead by a benevolent 108-year-old woman named Mother Abagail, and a group lead by Randal Flagg, a demonic, supernatural figure who wants to spread chaos. The book was previously adapted into a 1994 miniseries. The news that The Stand might become a new series is just the latest entry in an ever-mutating history surrounding possible adaptations of King’s book.

In 2011, a new The Stand adaptation was announced, with the Harry Potter team of director David Yates and screenwriter Steve Kloves in charge of the project, with a plan to possibly adapt the book into three films. This news was short-lived, because later in 2011, Yates was out, and Ben Affleck became attached to helm the film.

In 2012, Affleck provided an update on his Stand adaptation, saying the scripting was proving difficult:

“Right now we’re having a very hard time. But I like the idea—it’s like The Lord of the Rings in America. And it’s about how we would reinvent ourselves as a society. If we started all over again, what would we do?”

By 2014, Affleck had departed, and Warner Bros. tapped Josh Boone, director of The Fault in our Stars, to helm. After Boone joined the film, word broke that the adaptation was now being planned as four films. Boone said he was throwing out earlier drafts, which treated the material more like a summer blockbuster than a film focusing on characters:

“[Those drafts] were not so much where I thought they should be going with it. [They were] much more like a big summer blockbuster. When I thought about The Stand it’s so much about the vast network of characters, and all their problems. It’s kind of a morality play set in post-apocalyptic America. The battle between good and evil is the battle for these peoples’ souls. They make choices which dictate the fate of humanity.”

Boone then added that he initially pitched Warner Bros. on one three hour movie:

“I really wanted to do an A-list actor, really grounded, credible version of the movie. I sold them on that and they hired me…I sold them on a single, three hour movie. I went and got [Stephen] King sold on it, everybody’s really excited…I told the story non-linear and that was the way I was able to compress that book and get everything into that script. You open with Mother Abigail dying and sending the guys off, and then you jump back in time… So what happened is the script gets finished, I write it in like five months, everybody loves it, King loves it, $87 million is what it was budgeted at, really expensive for a horror drama that doesn’t have set pieces.”

After this pitch, however, Warner’s asked if he wanted to do multiple films:

“They came back and said “would you do it as multiple films?” and I said “fuck yes!” I loved my script, and I was willing to drop it in an instant because you’re able to do an even truer version that way. So I think we are going to do like four movies. I can’t tell you anything about how we’re going to do them, or what’s going to be in which movie. I’ll just say we are going to do four movies, and we’re going to do THE STAND at the highest level you can do it at, with a cast that’s going to blow people’s minds. We’ve already been talking to lots of people, and have people on board in certain roles that people don’t know about. We’re looking to go into production next year, maybe in the spring.”

Later in 2014, word broke that Matthew McConaughy was reportedly in talked to play Randall Flagg, the main villain of the story. This fell through, and McConaughy would go on to star in another King adaptation – The Dark Tower.

In 2015, rumors surfaced that Boone and Warner Bros. were “talking to Showtime about airing an 8-part miniseries of The Stand that would act as a lead up to The Stand movie, which would hit theaters after the series ends. ”

By 2016, however, Boone’s The Stand was on hold. Boone then considered adapting another King book, Revival. Later in 2016, producer Roy Lee – who would later produce 2017’s It – offered an update on the project:

“Right now it’s just in a holding pattern trying to figure out how to best make the movie because we’ve toyed with breaking it up into multiple movies, making it into one, making it into two. The latest draft, Josh Boone had written it and he was very anxious to make it but since then has written another script, Revival, which he’s gonna do beforehand, so we’re just waiting for that.”

Lee also revealed the idea of a TV series leading into the film was dead:

“There was definitely talk about doing that but the logistics made it very difficult to try to do a worldwide launch of a movie when the TV component would not necessarily be released at the same time worldwide. So it became a logistic nightmare to try to figure that out, so that plan was abandoned.”

Since then, all has been quiet on The Stand front. Now comes the word of the CBS All Access series. Honestly, this makes the most sense. There’s just too much story to fit The Stand into one movie. And the idea of breaking it up into multiple movies never sit right with me. A limited series, however, would be able to do King’s work justice. Now we’ll just have to see if it happens.

Joe315
03-30-2018, 09:35 PM
Why all access. I don’t want to pay for another service to watch this.

ICry4Oy
03-31-2018, 08:20 AM

Same here. I'll just wait for the DVD.

mae
03-31-2018, 08:54 AM
I don’t want to pay for another service to watch this.

That's the point.

herbertwest
03-31-2018, 12:00 PM

Then you won't ;)

Jon
03-31-2018, 04:59 PM
I'll pay; no problem. Imagine the cost of tickets for the whole family for 3 or 4 movies. Then there's popcorn and maybe paying a babysitter...fuel for those in the rural areas. Then I have to figure a way to sneak my favorite sheep into EACH movie. Those ushers get hip to tactics sooner or later. How many times are they going to believe I'm pregnant? 2 shows maybe.

CyberGhostface
04-02-2018, 09:33 AM
Glad this is going to be ten hours as opposed to the other plan which was trying to fit everything in one(!) movie.

It would have been nice if It had been given a similar treatment.

Brainslinger
04-04-2018, 07:53 AM
Yes, I think The Stand would fit an episodic series format very well.

Brian861
04-05-2018, 06:40 AM
I'd pay for the service to watch it then cancel. I wish Mr. Mercedes would have been available on a streaming service. Or maybe it was/is?

herbertwest
04-05-2018, 02:31 PM
I'd pay for the service to watch it then cancel. I wish Mr. Mercedes would have been available on a streaming service. Or maybe it was/is?

There are still some FYC Emmy Awards DVD of season 1, with a letter from King
(Ari found those out)

mae
04-05-2018, 02:33 PM

You can try DirecTV Now free for a week: https://www.directvnow.com/

Merlin1958
04-05-2018, 09:58 PM

Yeah, the Audience channel number 500 and on demand. I think they are scheduling a season one marathon for next month.

Brian861
04-06-2018, 06:47 AM

Thanks!

TravelinJack
04-07-2018, 04:23 AM
We need a good TV series of The Stand. I'm hoping this pans out and is a solid production with good actors. M-O-O-N that spells good actors.

mae
07-19-2018, 07:44 AM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlTYP6Fj5yt/

joshboonemovies
The writer’s room for my ten-hour limited series of @stephenking’s The Stand opens this week. Joining me are Owen King, Benjamin Cavell and Mid-World’s very own @jillkillsme . Ride the King’s highway, baby! #thestand #stephenking #cbsallaccess #owenking #randallflagg #thecircleopens #roylee #jimmymiller #completeanduncut

https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/46a76886ce94617198140cd99b5a36cd/5BDCCB1A/t51.2885-15/e35/36624767_2143020282580205_5988075027927400448_n.jp g

St. Troy
07-19-2018, 07:46 AM
God I hope they do this right (and 10 hours looks right).

MikeDuke
07-19-2018, 08:04 AM
Can they be truthful to the book with the language and and other things that may pop up in the story on CBS all access, or will it be sanitized. I won't get all access to watch it though. I will just hope they release it on video. So that would be about 4 hours longer then the original mini series.

Joe315
07-19-2018, 08:21 AM
It’s a paid service so hopefully they treat it as such but I’m not holding out hope for that.

St. Troy
07-19-2018, 08:26 AM
If it were airing on regular CBS at 8 pm, we'd know what that meant for limitations (nudity, violence, profanity); does anyone know if CBS All Access is as free as cable or restricted as network TV?

Is there a guess as to when this may air?

mae
07-19-2018, 09:07 AM
CBS-AA does The Good Fight and it's rated TV-MA.

St. Troy
07-19-2018, 09:12 AM
CBS-AA does The Good Fight and it's rated TV-MA.

Is that "mature" meaning they use the word "asshole" a few times, or is the show heavier than that?

CyberGhostface
07-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Thank God they're not doing that "one movie" thing they were tossing around before.

St. Troy
07-19-2018, 10:07 AM
Thank God they're not doing that "one movie" thing they were tossing around before.

Yes. Best-case scenario of that was a summary of something that could've been great.

MikeDuke
07-20-2018, 07:59 AM
OK. I am starting to have hope. But I would also hope that it would be released on BR because that the way I would watch it.

ICry4Oy
07-20-2018, 08:04 AM
OK. I am starting to have hope. But I would also hope that it would be released on BR because that the way I would watch it.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that it'll be on BR, usually within a year of release as just about everything else. If not, I'll never see it. I'm not going to sign up for CBS AA, Shudder, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc., just to watch one show. The amount of streaming companies has just gotten ridiculous.

St. Troy
07-20-2018, 08:16 AM
I'm not going to sign up for CBS AA, Shudder, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc., just to watch one show. The amount of streaming companies has just gotten ridiculous.

I wish there was some service that could just lump together everything out there, and sort of "cable" it all into my house, for one basic fee, perhaps adjusted depending on what services I take...man, that would be handy.

mae
07-20-2018, 08:32 AM
Out of all those you really can't not subscribe to Netflix, come on. So much amazing content from them! I'm personally subscribed to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Filmstruck, and now DC Universe. Plus Premium on DirecTV. Yes, it's a sickness.

Merlin1958
07-20-2018, 08:55 AM
Out of all those you really can't not subscribe to Netflix, come on. So much amazing content from them! I'm personally subscribed to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Filmstruck, and now DC Universe. Plus Premium on DirecTV. Yes, it's a sickness.

I subscribe to most of those as well, Mae. Getting kinda crazy and expensive. What I find helps is to divide it up with the family. I have a grown son & daughter. I provide the DTV Platinum package & Amazon Prime (The s/h alone is worth it at Xmas buying for 2 grandkids lol) my daughter provides Hulu and my son Netflix and we just swap login's and passwords.

The services keep multiplying, but I'm running out of children though!!!! lol lol

St. Troy
07-20-2018, 09:09 AM
I currently get Netflix because it just sort of became the only movie rental option when Blockbuster died, and then things like Stranger Things and A Series Of Unfortunate Events convinced me they were quite serious about entertaining me properly. I also get Amazon Prime, mainly because of the shopping my family does through them. Hulu and others are attractive, but at some point it just becomes too much to manage or justify. "YMMV" applies here of course.

MikeDuke
07-20-2018, 10:31 AM
Is there a possible date for this to start? I read the last page which talks about it being a 10 episode event, but no date.

ICry4Oy
07-20-2018, 10:55 AM

Netflix & DirecTV are the only ones I subscribe to.

Brian861
07-20-2018, 11:39 AM
I'm not going to sign up for CBS AA, Shudder, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc., just to watch one show. The amount of streaming companies has just gotten ridiculous.

I wish there was some service that could just lump together everything out there, and sort of "cable" it all into my house, for one basic fee, perhaps adjusted depending on what services I take...man, that would be handy.

Would be a novel idea also if you could subscribe to only the channels you actually watch on cable or satellite. I probably could count the channels I'd want on two hands. I "borrow" Netflix and Hulu from my daughter :), we have a Prime membership.

I'd probably subscribe to watch the mini-series, then dump it. I'm currently thinking of doing that with Youtube just to watch Cobra Kai.

Father Cody
07-20-2018, 12:49 PM
More can go wrong the Dark Tower than The Stand when it comes to a big screen adaptation.

Hell of an insight you had there

herbertwest
07-21-2018, 02:31 AM

I only subscribed to the internet

CyberGhostface
07-24-2018, 06:30 AM
Shudder's pretty cheap and they give out free months on a regular basis.

mae
08-07-2018, 05:02 PM
https://www.cbr.com/the-stand-cbs-all-access-stephen-king/

The works of Stephen King have always been popular for adaptation, but lately the rights to the horror author’s novels and short stories alike have been selling like hotcakes. Now, it sounds like one of his most epic tales is still getting another chance on television.

During an interview with Deadline at the Television Critics Association press tour at the CBS All Access Conference, CBS TV Studios president David Stapf, CBS All Access President and COO Marc DeBevoise and EVP of Original Content Julie McNamara revealed that an adaptation of The Stand is still on the docket to join the streaming service.

Stapf and DeBevoise confirmed that the adaptation of The Stand is currently in development, with an intended 2019 premiere. While they didn’t reveal much about the series, it does mean one of the most exciting Stephen King stories ever is being prepared for a new series.

The Stand centers around the few survivors of a plague that decimates the United States of America. Two camps form — one amassing around the kindly and mysterious Mother Abigail, the other centering around the demonic and fearsome Randall Flag. It’ll follow The Mist, Castle Rock, and 11.22.63 as recent adaptations of King’s works being brought to television. It’ll also be the second attempt at adapting the story following a version produced in 1994.

The Stand is slated to premiere in 2019.

MikeDuke
08-08-2018, 05:32 AM
If CBS AA can be anything like FX is now, the cursing will not be an issue. Snowfall (which is great BTW) has a TON of cursing. So I don't think that would be an issue if AA can just to what FX does. Plus it shows some simulated stuff and backsides. And that is labled TV-MA. So it may not be HBO level, but it may be OK in the end in that regard. And FX is a regular network station on cable. So I am keeping hope alive.

mae
08-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Here's a trailer for a new series premiering soon on CBS-AA. I couldn't find the rating for the show but from the looks of it it's pretty mature, though they won't of course show the very bad stuff in a trailer. That said, all of their series so far (including Star Trek: Discovery) has been very well received and appears to be intended for mature audiences, so fans of The Stand should not worry about the network. With the news that they're making a Jean-Luc Picard spin-off for their Star Trek universe, it's making it sound like CBS-AA is a must.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alnxkM2FIWA

Merlin1958
08-13-2018, 04:33 PM
Okay, stupid question but where is exactly do you get access to "CBS All Access"? lol I have apple TV and subscriptions to Amazon Prime, Huku and Netflix. I also have Directv Premium pkg with HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc, etc. God Dammit I can't even seem to find an icon much less where and how much to sign up for or whether o not I should already have access!!!! lol Anyone help?

Not for nothing, but this shit is getting crazy!!! lol Maybe I should just bite the bullet at this juncture and just wait for and purchases DVD's for this stuff. I mean I signed up for Hulu just for the King programming. Otherwise, Hulu sucks both in content and service (streams like shit compared to Prime and Netflix which work great). :crow burp:

Merlin1958
01-21-2019, 04:54 PM
So, when is this supposed to hit our screens again?

CyberGhostface
01-21-2019, 06:27 PM
Okay, stupid question but where is exactly do you get access to "CBS All Access"? lol I have apple TV and subscriptions to Amazon Prime, Huku and Netflix. I also have Directv Premium pkg with HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc, etc. God Dammit I can't even seem to find an icon much less where and how much to sign up for or whether o not I should already have access!!!! lol Anyone help?

If you have Apple TV you should be able to get it there.

Merlin1958
01-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Okay, stupid question but where is it exactly that you get access to "CBS All Access"? lol I have apple TV and subscriptions to Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix. I also have Directv Premium pkg with HBO, Starz, Showtime, etc, etc. God Dammit I can't even seem to find an icon much less where and how much to sign up for it or whether or not I should already have access to it!!!! lol Anyone help?

If you have Apple TV you should be able to get it there.

Hey, thank you very much for the info. I'll have to take another look. Maybe my grandson (who's six) can succeed where I have failed!! lol lol Do you know what they charge for the service?

Joe315
01-21-2019, 09:09 PM
$6/month with “limited commercials”

$10/month commercial free

ICry4Oy
01-21-2019, 09:11 PM
Will wait for the DVD.

Merlin1958
01-21-2019, 10:10 PM
$6/month with “limited commercials”

$10/month commercial free

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

St. Troy
01-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Does anyone out there already have CBS All Access, and if so, how is it value-wise?

Earl of Popkin
01-22-2019, 11:29 AM
Does anyone out there already have CBS All Access, and if so, how is it value-wise?

Have not heard good things. I think die hard Star Trek fans are the only people that haven’t been underwhelmed

St. Troy
01-22-2019, 11:32 AM
Too bad. I suppose if there was an off-chance that CBS-AA was quality, I might jump in for a bit. Good to know.

MikeDuke
01-22-2019, 11:33 AM
I will just wait for it come on BR.

Earl of Popkin
01-22-2019, 11:35 AM
Too bad. I suppose if there was an off-chance that CBS-AA was quality, I might jump in for a bit. Good to know.

In their defense, they constantly promise that new killer content is right around the corner

Jon
01-22-2019, 08:02 PM
A Titanic tease!!!!

I'll be in the shower.

mae
01-30-2019, 03:13 PM
So, when is this supposed to hit our screens again?

Next year maybe? No one knows.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-stand-stephen-king-cbs-all-access/

CBS All Access is getting into bed with Stephen King. The streaming service announced Wednesday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour that it has given a straight-to-series order for an adaptation of King's bestselling novel The Stand.

The 10-episode series, which will also be title The Stand, tells the story of an apocalyptic world ruined by plague that is embroiled in a struggle between good and evil. The series will follow the 108-year-old Mother Abagail and a small group of survivors who carry the future of mankind on their shoulders as they contend with Randall Flagg, aka the Dark Man, who is described as having a "lethal smile and unspeakable powers." The series will be written and produced by Josh Boone and Ben Cavell.

"I'm excited and so very pleased that The Stand is going to have a new life on this exciting new platform," said Stephen King in a statement. "The people involved are men and women who know exactly what they're doing; the scripts are dynamite. The result bids to be something memorable and thrilling. I believe it will take viewers away to a world they hope will never happen."

The Stand is just the latest scripted series to come to CBS All Access. The streaming service is home to The Good Fight, No Activity, Strange Angel, Tell Me a Story, Star Trek: Discovery, The Twilight Zone and Why Women Kill.

MikeDuke
01-30-2019, 04:08 PM
Man I really hope they put this out on BR. They seem to have done it with the that Star Trek show so why not this. And not to de-rail, but there will be a new Jean Luc Picard Star Trek story. One continuing story 10 episodes on all access as well. Like one 10 hour movie.

St. Troy
01-31-2019, 09:10 AM
What do you think? Is King's praise genuine, or is this more of what he has to do to enable his adaptations to have a fighting chance before they sink on their own (a la TDT)?

CyberGhostface
01-31-2019, 11:40 AM
What do you think? Is King's praise genuine, or is this more of what he has to do to enable his adaptations to have a fighting chance before they sink on their own (a la TDT)?

I think King is being genuine, I know Boone's been trying to get this made for years now and King approved of what he was doing way back when it was going to be a feature film trilogy. He also gave Boone the go-ahead for Revival afterwards so I think he trusts him with his work.

St. Troy
01-31-2019, 01:08 PM
That's encouraging. A great Stand would be a great thing.

MikeDuke
01-31-2019, 01:20 PM
I just hope it will be on BR at some point.

Merlin1958
02-01-2019, 10:30 AM

I think King is being genuine, I know Boone's been trying to get this made for years now and King approved of what he was doing way back when it was going to be a feature film trilogy. He also gave Boone the go-ahead for Revival afterwards so I think he trusts him with his work.

Agreed, but then again he's not exactly my "go to" guy got film reviews and such. lol

herbertwest
05-28-2019, 10:17 AM
I've read that the current issue of the REVOLVER magazine contains an interview with Marilyn Manson in which he said that he made a cover of The Doors' "The End" for the upcoming tv series, and he confirmed that he would act in it.
Any chance that someone could help gaining the interview and what he actually said in it? :)

Bev Vincent
05-28-2019, 10:31 AM
Here's an article that mentions it: http://www.providermodule.com/marilyn_manson_news.php?Marilyn%20Manson%20Cast%20 In%20Stephen%20King%20TV%20Series%20The%20Stand&fn_mode=fullnews&fn_id=839

herbertwest
05-28-2019, 10:38 AM
Yes, but I was looking forward to see the actual quotes and if there were any more details?

mattgreenbean
05-28-2019, 01:09 PM
Marilyn Manson could be Lloyd.
I just rewatched the original miniseries this weekend. I still enjoy it, but it'll be nice to have an updated version.