PDA

View Full Version : The 2011 Oscar Contest Thread

Still Servant
01-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Well, today is the day. This years Oscar nominations have been released. Make your predictions now. I will make mine after a little bit of thinking.

All in all, I'm happy with the nominations. I'm a little disappointed that Nolan didn't get nominated. I was also hoping to see Garfield get a best supporting nod for his work in The Social Network. I think he steals the film. I was very happy to see Mark Ruffalo get a nomination. He's always been a favorite of mine. I have also been ranting recently how Benning and Moore seem to be the only ones getting attention for The Kids Are All Right.

Also, this thread can be merged with the other Oscar thread if you want.

Best Picture
“Black Swan”
“The Fighter”
“Inception”
“The Kids Are All Right ”
“The King’s Speech”
“127 Hours”
“The Social Network”
“Toy Story 3″
“True Grit”
“Winter’s Bone”

Best Direction
Darren Aronofsky for “Black Swan”
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen for “True Grit”
David Fincher for “The Social Network”
Tom Hooper for “The King’s Speech”
David O. Russell for “The Fighter”

Actor in a Leading Role
Javier Bardem in “Biutiful”
Jeff Bridges in “True Grit”
Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network”
James Franco in “127 Hours”
Colin Firth in “The King’s Speech”

Actress in a Leading Role
Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right”
Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter’s Bone”
Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”
Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”

Actor in a Supporting Role
Christian Bale in “The Fighter”
John Hawkes in “Winter’s Bone”
Jeremy Renner in “The Town”
Mark Ruffalo in “The Kids Are All Right”
Geoffrey Rush in “The King’s Speech”

Actress in a Supporting Role
Amy Adams in “The Fighter”
Helena Bonham Carter in “The King’s Speech”
Melissa Leo in “The Fighter”
Hailee Steinfeld in “True Grit”
Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom”

Adapted Screenplay
Danny Boyle and Simon Beaufoy for “127 Hours”
Aaron Sorkin for “The Social Network”
Michael Arndt, story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich for “Toy Story 3″
Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini for “Winter’s Bone”

Original Screenplay
Mike Leigh for “Another Year”
Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy and Eric Johnson. Story by Keith Dorrington and Paul Tamasy and Eric Johnson for “The Fighter”
Christopher Nolan for “Inception”
Lisa Cholodenko and Stuart Blumberg for “The Kids Are All Right”
David Seidler for “The King’s Speech”

Animated Feature
“How to Train Your Dragon”
“The Illusionist”
“Toy Story 3″

Art Direction
“Alice in Wonderland”: Robert Stromberg (Production Design), Karen O’Hara (Set Decoration)
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1″: Stuart Craig (Production Design), Stephenie McMillan (Set Decoration)
“Inception”: Guy Hendrix Dyas (Production Design), Larry Dias and Doug Mowat (Set Decoration)
“The King’s Speech”: Eve Stewart (Production Design), Judy Farr (Set Decoration)
“True Grit”: Jess Gonchor (Production Design), Nancy Haigh (Set Decoration)

Cinematography
“Black Swan”: Matthew Libatique
“Inception”: Wally Pfister
“The King’s Speech”: Danny Cohen
“The Social Network”: Jeff Cronenweth
“True Grit”: Roger Deakins

Costume Design
“Alice in Wonderland”: Colleen Atwood
“I Am Love”: Antonella Cannarozzi
“The King’s Speech”: Jenny Beavan
“The Tempest”: Sandy Powell
“True Grit”: Mary Zophres

Documentary (Feature)
“Exit through the Gift Shop”
“Gasland”
“Inside Job”
“Restrepo”
“Waste Land”

Documentary (Short Subject)
“Killing in the Name”
“Poster Girl”
“Strangers No More”
“Sun Come Up”
“The Warriors of Qiugang”

Film Editing
“Black Swan”: Andrew Weisblum
“The Fighter”: Pamela Martin
“The King’s Speech”: Tariq Anwar
“127 Hours”: Jon Harris
“The Social Network”: Angus Wall and Kirk Baxter

Foreign Language Film
“Biutiful”: Mexico
“Dogtooth”: Greece
“In a Better World”: Denmark
“Incendies”: Canada
“Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi)”: Algeria

Makeup
“Barney’s Version”: Adrien Morot
“The Way Back”: Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng
“The Wolfman”: Rick Baker and Dave Elsey

Music (Original Score)
“How to Train Your Dragon”: John Powell
“Inception”: Hans Zimmer
“The King’s Speech”: Alexandre Desplat
“127 Hours”: A.R. Rahman
“The Social Network”: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross

Music (Original Song)
“Coming Home” from “Country Strong” Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey
“I See the Light” from “Tangled” Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater
“If I Rise” from “127 Hours” Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong
“We Belong Together” from “Toy Story 3″ Music and Lyric by Randy Newman

Short Film (Animated)
“Day & Night”: Teddy Newton
“The Gruffalo”: Jakob Schuh and Max Lang
“Let’s Pollute”: Geefwee Boedoe
“The Lost Thing”: Shaun Tan and Andrew Ruhemann
“Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary)”: Bastien Dubois

Short Film (Live Action)
“The Confession”: Tanel Toom
“The Crush”: Michael Creagh
“God of Love”: Luke Matheny
“Na Wewe”: Ivan Goldschmidt
“Wish 143″: Ian Barnes and Samantha Waite

Sound Editing
“Inception”: Richard King
“Toy Story 3″: Tom Myers and Michael Silvers
“Tron: Legacy”: Gwendolyn Yates Whittle and Addison Teague
“True Grit”: Skip Lievsay and Craig Berkey
“Unstoppable”: Mark P. Stoeckinger

Sound Mixing
“Inception”: Lora Hirschberg, Gary A. Rizzo and Ed Novick
“The King’s Speech”: Paul Hamblin, Martin Jensen and John Midgley
“Salt”: Jeffrey J. Haboush, Greg P. Russell, Scott Millan and William Sarokin
“The Social Network”: Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick and Mark Weingarten
“True Grit”: Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland

Visual Effects
“Alice in Wonderland”: Ken Ralston, David Schaub, Carey Villegas and Sean Phillips
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1″: Tim Burke, John Richardson, Christian Manz and Nicolas Aithadi
“Hereafter”: Michael Owens, Bryan Grill, Stephan Trojanski and Joe Farrell
“Inception”: Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Andrew Lockley and Peter Bebb
“Iron Man 2″: Janek Sirrs, Ben Snow, Ged Wright and Daniel Sudick

fernandito
01-25-2011, 11:26 PM
We talked about this Mike, but Nolan not being nominated for Best Director is a fucking travesty. That's one of the biggest injustices of recent memory, IMO.

Mattrick
01-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Feev best director was a tough category and other worthy directors were also not nominated. It's not a travesty. Aronofsky, Hooper, The Coens and Fincher were all shoe-ins. That only left one spot with a half dozen of worthy talent. If there were ten best director nominees, Nolan would be in there. Just because you're a big Nolan fan doesn't mean it's a travesty.

fernandito
01-26-2011, 01:11 AM
David O. Russell over Nolan for best director ? That's a travesty. And no, I'm not saying it's one just because "I'm a Nolan fan."

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-26-2011, 02:49 AM
As usual, only one movie from my top 10 list was nominated for best pictue (INCEPTION). Just shows that the academy doesn't know what good movies are! I'm just joking, so please don't take this seriously!

Mattrick
01-26-2011, 03:14 AM
David O. Russell over Nolan for best director ? That's a travesty. And no, I'm not saying it's one just because "I'm a Nolan fan."

I haven't seen The Fighter so I can't say how good he was at directing it and if you haven't seen it, neither can you. Just because Nolan is a bigger name doesn't mean anything. I like Nolan too. The Academy looks for certain things when choosing noms for best director and obviously they weren't looking for what Nolan brought to the table. Inception got 8 noms and including one for best picture. That's as good as any summer blockbuster can hope for. Same thing with The Dark Knight, sure Nolan did a great job with it but I probably wouldn't nominate him for Best Director for it either. I agree with the Academy's decision and I'm sure it was a hard one for them to make.

Still Servant
01-26-2011, 09:55 AM
I have to disagree Mattrick. I've been of fan of O'Russell's Three Kings since it was released in 1999. I'm not saying he isn't deserving of the nomination, I just think Nolan is more deserving.

I haven't seen The Fighter yet, but from what I hear it's a pretty paint-by-numbers storyline that is elevated by outstanding performances from a great cast. I just don't think it takes as much skill to craft a great film out of what O'Russel had to work with.

On the other hand, Nolan was working with subject matter that is not exactly traditional. For him to weave a storyline through four different dream states and still keep the story easy to understand and captivating, is very impressive.

The success of Inception was directly on the shoulders of Nolan, whereas the success of The Fighter has more to do with the cast.

Mattrick
01-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Yet half the director's job is to work with his actors and make sure they properly understand how they should be during scenes? I think a lot of people forget about this aspect of directing. Inception was hardly rested on Nolan's shoulders and the 8 nominations for Visual Effects, Art Direction, Sound Mixing, Score etc certainly proves that. And he had the biggest cast of the year. Nolan did a great job. Nolan DEFINITELY deserves his oscar nom for Best Original Screenplay. Inception was deinitely a well directed movie but there are so many aspects that take away from his direction, it doesn't stand out as much. Probably the main reason why he wasn't nominated. The nom I'm most surprised that Inception didn't get was for Editing, I thought it was amazingly edited.

Still Servant, it's hard to say since none of us seem to have seen The Fighter...I'm not too big on boxing movies for the most part, big deterent for me. But he may have done a remarkable job with his direction. I don't usually like to download movies but I would like to see most of these movies this year. My friends brining me over Winter's Bone and I'll download what I can...I want to have seen all the best picture noms for once dammit.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I've seen all the Best Picture nominees except THE KIDS ARE ALL RIGHT and think Nolan should have been nominated for Best Director. Except for THE SOCIAL NETWORK, which I found to be pretty mediocre, the others are all good pictures but nowhere near the outstanding cinematic effort of INCEPTION.

Mattrick
01-26-2011, 03:47 PM
I've got the Fighter, King's Speech and Black Swan and 127 hours downloading now. I'll bring a better understanding of who deserves it when I'm done watching them all.

Still Servant
01-26-2011, 07:34 PM
Yet half the director's job is to work with his actors and make sure they properly understand how they should be during scenes? I think a lot of people forget about this aspect of directing. Inception was hardly rested on Nolan's shoulders and the 8 nominations for Visual Effects, Art Direction, Sound Mixing, Score etc certainly proves that. And he had the biggest cast of the year. Nolan did a great job. Nolan DEFINITELY deserves his oscar nom for Best Original Screenplay. Inception was deinitely a well directed movie but there are so many aspects that take away from his direction, it doesn't stand out as much. Probably the main reason why he wasn't nominated. The nom I'm most surprised that Inception didn't get was for Editing, I thought it was amazingly edited.

Still Servant, it's hard to say since none of us seem to have seen The Fighter...I'm not too big on boxing movies for the most part, big deterent for me. But he may have done a remarkable job with his direction. I don't usually like to download movies but I would like to see most of these movies this year. My friends brining me over Winter's Bone and I'll download what I can...I want to have seen all the best picture noms for once dammit.

I know what you're saying, but I'm sure we can both name dozens of films that have great special effects and sound, but the movie is a piece of garbage. Those aspects certainly made Inception what it is, but if it wasn't for Nolan's skillful direction, Inception could have been a mess.

Also, I'm interested to hear what you think of Winter's Bone. I was mildly disappointed in the film. The acting is top notch, but the story kind of falls flat for me. I can understand the acting nominations (I was surprised to see Hawkes get nominated, he was very good though) I can't understand the nomination for best picture though.

Mattrick
01-26-2011, 09:55 PM
It's just how the academy is now. Five of the movies are true best picture nominees like always, the rest are more throwaways, so it appears more diverse. Winter's Bone fills the indie film role, Toy Story the Animated, Inception the blockbuster (like District 9 last year). The Kid's Aren'y alright I'm sure is another sort of throwaway. To me the nominees that stand a chance of winning are King's Speech, Fighter, Black Swan, True Grit and The Social Network. Probably why they all got the best director nods as well. 127 Hours and Inception are the dark horses.

pathoftheturtle
01-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Winter's Bone was a great piece of film-making, whether you liked the story or not.

Mattrick
01-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Well so far I've watched Black Swan and 127 Hours. Boyle was well deserving of a nomination as well as Nolan was. Hard to say which one is more deserving of the two, very different films in terms of content. James Franco deserved his nom, don't think he'll win though.

Mattrick
01-30-2011, 01:06 AM
Okay so I watched The Fighter and I enjoyed it. David O Russell is more than deserving of his oscar nomination and I can't help but support the academy. However, I would also support a Nolan or Boyle nomination as well. All three did a great job, kudos to all of them. Shame there weren't more nominees for this category because it is a full year for this.

My choices thus far judging from what I've seen:

Best Picture: Black Swan
Best Director: Darren Aronofsky
Best Actress: Natalie Portman
Best Actor: Hard to say...toss up between Franco and Eisenberg till I see the rest.
Best Supp Actress: Melissa Leo
Best Supp Actor: Christian Bale
Best Original Screenplay: Inception
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Social Network
Best Cinematography: Black Swan
Best Art Direction: Inception
Best Editing: 127 Hours
Best Visual Effects: Inception
Best Sound Editing: Inception
Best Visual Effects: Inception
Original Score: At the moment, have to go with Inception or 127 Hours

Heather19
01-30-2011, 09:34 AM
Sorry I didn't hop into this thread sooner. But I'm with Feev and Mike on Nolan not getting nominated. I was pretty shocked by that and think he definitely deserves it. I saw The Fighter a few weeks ago (and this is just my opinion) I loved the film, but didn't think the directing was anything outstanding. I thought Nolan did a far better job with Inception. The one thing that Russel did do however was to get amazing performances out of his actors.

What about The King's Speech? Has anyone here seen it? Honestly it doesn't interest me in the least, but I am curious about it, and wonder if it's as good as all the nominations it's received. Same goes for The Kids are All Right.

As for what I personally would like to see win. I'd love for Black Swan to win best picture, Darren Aronofsky to get director, and Natalie Portman to get best actress. I'm surprised this one didn't get a screenplay nomination. I'm counting on Bale for winning supporting actor, as that was hands down the best performance I saw out of any actor last year. And Leo for supporting actress. I can't comment on best actor since I haven't seen any of those films yet. And original screenplay should definitely go to Inception. That is easily one of the most original creative films I've ever seen.

Mike we should do what we did last year, and post our guesses for what we think will actually win.

Mattrick
01-30-2011, 09:46 AM
It's just subjective on Best Director. Personally. O. Russell got more an emotional response out of me with him images which to me, is how I rate the direction of a movie. I was teary eyed with some shots. Only thing Nolan got from in terms of emotional response was the way he used Marianne Cotillard. I'd be happy with Nolan Boyle or O. Russell getting them and since it goes by votes for the oscars, majority simply won.

Tito_Villa
01-30-2011, 09:50 AM
I saw The King's Speach last week, i really didn't want to go saying to my girlfriend that it wouldn't be my type of film but i was dragged along anyway. And i have to say that i am very glad that she did, one of the best films i have ever seen. I would advise everybody to go and see it!

Mattrick
01-30-2011, 10:39 AM
They copy I downloaded was a wrong file type so I have to re-download. Winter's Bone, King's Speech, Kid's Aren't Alright and True are all I have to watch.

Still Servant
01-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Sorry I didn't hop into this thread sooner. But I'm with Feev and Mike on Nolan not getting nominated. I was pretty shocked by that and think he definitely deserves it. I saw The Fighter a few weeks ago (and this is just my opinion) I loved the film, but didn't think the directing was anything outstanding. I thought Nolan did a far better job with Inception. The one thing that Russel did do however was to get amazing performances out of his actors.

What about The King's Speech? Has anyone here seen it? Honestly it doesn't interest me in the least, but I am curious about it, and wonder if it's as good as all the nominations it's received. Same goes for The Kids are All Right.

As for what I personally would like to see win. I'd love for Black Swan to win best picture, Darren Aronofsky to get director, and Natalie Portman to get best actress. I'm surprised this one didn't get a screenplay nomination. I'm counting on Bale for winning supporting actor, as that was hands down the best performance I saw out of any actor last year. And Leo for supporting actress. I can't comment on best actor since I haven't seen any of those films yet. And original screenplay should definitely go to Inception. That is easily one of the most original creative films I've ever seen.

Mike we should do what we did last year, and post our guesses for what we think will actually win.

Yes, I definitely hope everybody will make their predictions. Right now it's kind of early, so I will hold off. At first it seemed like The Social Network was going to run away with everything, but now I think The King's Speech is the one to beat.

Once I see The Fighter, I will have seen 9 out of the 10 films nominated for best picture. That leave The King's Speech as the only film I haven't seen. I really don't have any interest in seeing it, but since I would have seen everything else, I might just watch it.

Still Servant
01-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Just to refresh your memory, here are the results of last years Oscar contest:

Heather - 15
Servant - 14
Turtlex - 14
Cody - 8
Seymour - 8
Odetta - 4

Feev, didn't make any picks? What the what?

Mattrick
01-30-2011, 09:30 PM
I say we should have a cut off point for it, up until like Feb 20th to get in your picks. Some are going to be pure guesses. I plan on watching Biutiful and Dogtooth as well as Another Year so that might help my chances :D

Erin
01-31-2011, 06:24 AM
I saw The King's Speach last week, i really didn't want to go saying to my girlfriend that it wouldn't be my type of film but i was dragged along anyway. And i have to say that i am very glad that she did, one of the best films i have ever seen. I would advise everybody to go and see it!

My mother-in-law saw this last week. She went into it on a whim, not really knowing what it was and said in the beginning, she considered walking out because she didn't think it would be the type of movie she'd enjoy. However, she stuck it out and has been raving about it ever since, saying it's one of the best movies she's ever seen.

Mattrick
01-31-2011, 12:34 PM
I have King's Speech now. Not sure if I will watch it tonight because I've got lots of stuff to do and Monday Night RAW is on...might have to save it for tomorrow night.

Ricky
01-31-2011, 02:42 PM
I was thinking about guessing Oscar winners this year, but it'd be cooler to do it with you guys. I agree we should set up a deadline. :)

fernandito
01-31-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm down to participate this year ! :D

Mattrick
01-31-2011, 04:40 PM
I'm going to have to make two separate lists: One will be who I feel should win, the other will be who I think the Academy will pick which will be for the contest.

Mattrick
01-31-2011, 10:44 PM
I really enjoyed King's Speech, very good movie with great acting. Hooper had some really nice shots but I doubt he'll win Best Director over Aronofsky. I don't think it should win over Black Swan for best picture but The Academy love these period pieces. Though if it does win I won't be upset for it's definitely good enough to hold the title of Best Picture.

I still think Christian Bale deserved Best Supporting Actor but Geoffry Rush could easily take it as well.

If the SAG Awards are any indication of oscar winners; Portman, Leo, Firth and Bale all got the awards and they're all my oscar picks.

jhanic
02-01-2011, 11:03 AM
I saw King's Speech not long after it had come out (before most of the hype) and REALLY enjoyed it. I also saw True Grit last week and thought it was pretty good. I've heard too much about Black Swan so that I'm not that interested in it--not because of the quality of acting but because of the story line.

John

Heather19
02-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm down to participate this year ! :D

You better! :D

Mattrick
02-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I've heard too much about Black Swan so that I'm not that interested in it--not because of the quality of acting but because of the story line.

John

You mean it's awesome storyline?

jhanic
02-02-2011, 08:22 AM
I mean it seems too much of a downer. I don't need that!

John

Jean
02-02-2011, 08:37 AM
sometimes downers work best for our souls... in cinema, how matters more than what

fernandito
02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
These are my picks for who I think is going to win, though not necessarily who I want to win.

Best Picture
“The Social Network”

Best Direction

Actor in a Leading Role

Adapted Screenplay

Original Screenplay

Animated Feature
“Toy Story 3″

Art Direction
“Inception”: Guy Hendrix Dyas (Production Design), Larry Dias and Doug Mowat (Set Decoration)

Cinematography

Costume Design

Documentary (Feature)

Foreign Language Film
"Dogtooth" Greece

Music (Original Score)

Sound Editing

Sound Mixing

Visual Effects

*Edit* I didn't fill out some of the nominations as I feel I don't have enough info/knowledge on them to venture a guess. Should I just guess any random one ?

Mattrick
02-19-2011, 05:35 AM
Best Short Film (Live Action)

- Na Wewe

Best Short Film (Animated)

- Day and Night

Best Documentary, Short

- Killing In The Name

Best Documentary

- Inside Job

Visual Effects

- Inception

Sound Editing

- Inception

Sound Mixing

- The Social Network

Original Song

- "We Belong Together" Randy Newman

Original Score

- The King's Speech

Achievement in Make Up

- Barney's Version

Costume Design

- Alice In Wonderland

Art Direction

- The King's Speech

Editing

- The Social Network

Cinematography

- True Grit

Foriegn Language Film

- Incendies

Animated Film

- Toy Story 3

Original Screenplay

- David Siedler, The King's Speech

Adapted Screenplay

- Aaron Sorkin, The Social Network

Best Supporting Actor

- Christian Bale (kind of split between him and Rush though)

Best Supporting Actress

- Hailee Steinfield

Best Director

- Tom Hooper, The King's Speech

Best Actor

- Colin Firth, The King's Speech

Best Actress

- Natalie Portman, Black Swan

Best Picture

- The King's Speech

If I had to make the choice on who will win, my list would look like this:

Best Picture: Black Swan
Best Director: Darren Aronofsky
Best Supporting Actress: Melissa Leo, The Fighter
Best Original Screenplay: Christopher Nolan, Inception
Best Editing: 127 Hours

pathoftheturtle
02-19-2011, 06:48 AM
Best Documentary

- Inside Job:orely: I haven't seen it. Do you really think it's the best? Or did you just make this call in anticipation of the voters?

Mattrick
02-19-2011, 03:51 PM
i just read what they were about and took guesses. I'd like to watch more documentaries I just don't have the time.

Merlin1958
02-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Ok, tell you what. If Still Servant is willing, you all make your Oscar picks prior to the date and to the one who guesses the most right, I'll donate $25 to the fund-raiser, in their name (for the giveaway). How does that sound? Still Servant? you'll have to lock the picks prior to Oscar night and crown a winner. Cool?

Jean
02-20-2011, 12:32 AM
ooh it sounds so interesting! I wish we'd thought about it before. Bears sure won't have the time to watch all the nominees. We got to think about doing it every year, I think. Go ahead guys, you might still have the time! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

Ricky
02-20-2011, 10:25 AM
So are we setting up a deadline for entries? The Oscars are the 27th, right?

Heather19
02-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Sorry, I keep forgetting. I'll get my picks posted within the next few days.

Merlin1958
02-20-2011, 12:34 PM

Yeah, the 27th, exactly a week away. I would say 5 p.m. PST would work. I'm putting up the prize money, but haven't a clue how to administer it. Can some one here do that?

Mattrick
02-20-2011, 03:25 PM
I'll admin it if that's cool.

Ricky
02-20-2011, 03:36 PM

Yeah, the 27th, exactly a week away. I would say 5 p.m. PST would work.

Oscar night, or tonight? :panic:

Merlin1958
02-20-2011, 11:21 PM
I'll admin it if that's cool.

Absolutely fine by me!!!!

Thanks!! :thumbsup:

Jean
02-21-2011, 12:08 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Heather19
02-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Here are my picks for what's going to win this coming sunday

Best Picture
“The King’s Speech”

Best Direction

Actor in a Leading Role

Adapted Screenplay

Original Screenplay

Animated Feature
“Toy Story 3″

Art Direction
“The King’s Speech”: Eve Stewart (Production Design), Judy Farr (Set Decoration)

Cinematography

Costume Design

Documentary (Feature)

“Strangers No More”

Film Editing

Foreign Language Film

Makeup

Music (Original Score)

Music (Original Song)
“If I Rise” from “127 Hours” Music by A.R. Rahman Lyric by Dido and Rollo Armstrong

Short Film (Animated)

Short Film (Live Action)

Sound Editing

Sound Mixing

Visual Effects

Still Servant
02-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Ok, tell you what. If Still Servant is willing, you all make your Oscar picks prior to the date and to the one who guesses the most right, I'll donate $25 to the fund-raiser, in their name (for the giveaway). How does that sound? Still Servant? you'll have to lock the picks prior to Oscar night and crown a winner. Cool?

Sounds great!

You will be able to submit your predictions as well as make changes right up until the start of the show.

I will be posting my predictions within the next few days.

fernandito
02-23-2011, 08:57 AM
That's awesome, Merlin ! Good man.

Oh, and I'm revising my pick for Best Foreign Film to Dogtooth. :D

Jean
02-23-2011, 09:08 AM
bears second both sentiments expressed above

pathoftheturtle
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
That's awesome, Merlin ! Good man.

Oh, and I'm revising my pick for Best Foreign Film to Dogtooth. :DYeah, I see you gave it 10/10 on the rate movie thread. I'd still love to hear your what you thought about Biutiful.

Merlin1958
02-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Ain't no thing, but a chicken wing!!!!!

Lets have some Oscar fun!!!

For the record, I will be posting my wife's picks. I haven't a clue, not a fucking clue what's going on this year with the exception of "Inception"!! I thought that was a great Movie!!!

Still Servant
02-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Just a few things:

I know there are some categories that even the most hardcore cinema fans (that would be us) have no clue about, I'm looking at you short film live action, so just make an educated guess. If you leave it blank, you will be marked wrong. :evil: My sister is a teacher. Now I know why she goes on so many power trips. :lol:

You guys have up until the show begins to make any changes to your predictions. I ask that if you do make any changes, please edit them accordingly or repost your predictions list. Feev, I noticed you changed your pick to Dogtooth, but I don't think you made the change on your prediction list.

So far I have predictions from Feev, Heather and Mattrick. If I'm missing anybody, let me know.

Last, I'm still on the fence about seeing The King's Speech before Oscar night. I'm really OCD about stuff like this and since I've seen 9 out of the 10 films nominated, it only seems right. Thoughts?

fernandito
02-24-2011, 04:33 PM
I'll make the change on my list too, Mike.

Also - I went ahead and changed the name of the thread as requested !

Heather19
02-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Last, I'm still on the fence about seeing The King's Speech before Oscar night. I'm really OCD about stuff like this and since I've seen 9 out of the 10 films nominated, it only seems right. Thoughts?

Yes, and then you can let me know if it's one I'd like :D

Merlin1958
02-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Best Picture

“True Grit”

Best Direction

Actor in a Leading Role

Adapted Screenplay

Original Screenplay

Animated Feature

“Toy Story 3″

Art Direction

“Alice in Wonderland”: Robert Stromberg (Production Design), Karen O’Hara (Set Decoration)

Cinematography

Costume Design

Documentary (Feature)

“Restrepo”

“Killing in the Name”

Film Editing

Foreign Language Film

Makeup

Music (Original Score)

Music (Original Song)

Short Film (Animated)

Short Film (Live Action)

Sound Editing

Sound Mixing

“The Social Network”: Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick and Mark Weingarten

Visual Effects

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!

Good Luck All!!!

In addition to the $25 Fund Raiser donation in the winner's name, Randall Flagg agreed to a site announcement of some sort as well!!!

Merlin1958
02-24-2011, 07:07 PM

Yes, and then you can let me know if it's one I'd like :D

Make that Two "Yea's"!!!!

Ricky
02-25-2011, 07:39 AM
I probably won't get my picks posted until Sunday. I still have some watching to do. :D

Mattrick
02-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Watch King's Speech..it's excellent.

Merlin1958
02-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Hey!!! Don't look now, but the Paypal donation thingy just hit $1,000.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap:

And check this out, for all you "Joe Hill" fans:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12094-2011-Fundraiser-Auction-Item-11-Joe-Hill-Signed-Heart-Shaped-Box-With-Custom-Case

................And now we return you to your regularly scheduled programming!!!!!

Merlin1958
02-25-2011, 06:47 PM
So, the BIG SHOW is Sunday and all we have is what, 4 sets of picks???? C'mon folks, don't you want your name in lights? lol

:dance:

Still Servant
02-26-2011, 07:28 AM
Thanks, Feev!

Here are my picks:

Best Picture
“Black Swan”
“The Fighter”
“Inception”
“The King’s Speech”
“127 Hours”
“The Social Network”
“Toy Story 3″
“True Grit”
“Winter’s Bone”

Best Direction
David O. Russell for “The Fighter”

Actor in a Leading Role
Jeff Bridges in “True Grit”
Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network”

Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter’s Bone”
Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”

John Hawkes in “Winter’s Bone”
Jeremy Renner in “The Town”
Mark Ruffalo in “The Kids Are All Right”
Geoffrey Rush in “The King’s Speech”

Amy Adams in “The Fighter”
Helena Bonham Carter in “The King’s Speech”
Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom”

Adapted Screenplay
Danny Boyle and Simon Beaufoy for “127 Hours”
Michael Arndt, story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich for “Toy Story 3″
Debra Granik & Anne Rosellini for “Winter’s Bone”

Original Screenplay
Mike Leigh for “Another Year”
Screenplay by Scott Silver and Paul Tamasy and Eric Johnson. Story by Keith Dorrington and Paul Tamasy and Eric Johnson for “The Fighter”
Lisa Cholodenko and Stuart Blumberg for “The Kids Are All Right”

Animated Feature
“How to Train Your Dragon”
“The Illusionist”
“Toy Story 3″

Art Direction
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1″: Stuart Craig (Production Design), Stephenie McMillan (Set Decoration)
“True Grit”: Jess Gonchor (Production Design), Nancy Haigh (Set Decoration)

Cinematography
“The Social Network”: Jeff Cronenweth

Costume Design
“I Am Love”: Antonella Cannarozzi
“The Tempest”: Sandy Powell
“True Grit”: Mary Zophres

Documentary (Feature)
“Gasland”
“Inside Job”
“Restrepo”
“Waste Land”

“Killing in the Name”
“Poster Girl”
“Strangers No More”
“Sun Come Up”
“The Warriors of Qiugang”

Film Editing
“The Fighter”: Pamela Martin
“The King’s Speech”: Tariq Anwar
“127 Hours”: Jon Harris

Foreign Language Film
“Dogtooth”: Greece
“In a Better World”: Denmark
“Incendies”: Canada
“Outside the Law (Hors-la-loi)”: Algeria

Makeup
“Barney’s Version”: Adrien Morot
“The Way Back”: Edouard F. Henriques, Gregory Funk and Yolanda Toussieng

Music (Original Score)
“127 Hours”: A.R. Rahman

Music (Original Song)
“Coming Home” from “Country Strong” Music and Lyric by Tom Douglas, Troy Verges and Hillary Lindsey
“I See the Light” from “Tangled” Music by Alan Menken Lyric by Glenn Slater

Short Film (Animated)
“Day & Night”: Teddy Newton
“The Gruffalo”: Jakob Schuh and Max Lang
“Madagascar, carnet de voyage (Madagascar, a Journey Diary)”: Bastien Dubois

Short Film (Live Action)
“The Confession”: Tanel Toom
“The Crush”: Michael Creagh
“God of Love”: Luke Matheny
“Na Wewe”: Ivan Goldschmidt

Sound Editing
“Toy Story 3″: Tom Myers and Michael Silvers
“Tron: Legacy”: Gwendolyn Yates Whittle and Addison Teague
“True Grit”: Skip Lievsay and Craig Berkey
“Unstoppable”: Mark P. Stoeckinger

Sound Mixing
“Salt”: Jeffrey J. Haboush, Greg P. Russell, Scott Millan and William Sarokin
“True Grit”: Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland

Visual Effects
“Alice in Wonderland”: Ken Ralston, David Schaub, Carey Villegas and Sean Phillips
“Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1″: Tim Burke, John Richardson, Christian Manz and Nicolas Aithadi
“Hereafter”: Michael Owens, Bryan Grill, Stephan Trojanski and Joe Farrell
“Iron Man 2″: Janek Sirrs, Ben Snow, Ged Wright and Daniel Sudick

Mattrick
02-26-2011, 09:42 PM
really hard for me to tell what you picked there lol

Still Servant
02-27-2011, 08:14 AM
really hard for me to tell what you picked there lol

I sense sarcasm, but if not, I can make it easier to see what I picked.

Ricky
02-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Here are my picks for tonight:

Best Picture

“The King’s Speech”

Best Direction

Actor in a Leading Role

Adapted Screenplay

Original Screenplay

Animated Feature

“Toy Story 3″

Art Direction

Cinematography

Costume Design

Documentary (Feature)

“Strangers No More”

Film Editing

Foreign Language Film

Makeup

Music (Original Score)

Music (Original Song)

Short Film (Animated)

Short Film (Live Action)

Sound Editing

Sound Mixing

Visual Effects

pathoftheturtle
02-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Best Picture
“The King’s Speech”

Best Direction

Actor in a Leading Role

Adapted Screenplay

Original Screenplay

Animated Feature
“Toy Story 3"

Art Direction

Cinematography

Costume Design

Documentary (Feature)

“Killing in the Name”

Film Editing

Foreign Language Film

Makeup

Music (Original Score)

Music (Original Song)

Short Film (Animated)

Short Film (Live Action)

Sound Editing

Sound Mixing

Visual Effects

Still Servant
02-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Get your picks in, the show is almost upon us.

After the show, I will correct the predictions as swiftly as possible.

Good luck to all!

pathoftheturtle
02-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Lot of surprises already.
Foreign Language Film: In a Better World :orely: Now I've got to watch that.

Real head-slap moment -- Wally Pfister, Cinematographer for Inception. I should have known.

fernandito
02-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Definitely, the cinematography award should have by right gone to True Grit.

Still Servant
02-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Well, the results are in. Drum roll please.....

You know, I actually enjoyed the show a lot this year. Having seen so many of the films nominated this year really added to my enjoyment. Anyway, for the second year in a row, Heather is victorious. Congrats Heather, you certainly have a knack for this!

Here's how everybody else fared:

Heather - 17
Servant - 15
Path - 14
Mattrick - 14
Ricky - 12
Merlin - 11
Feev - 8

I hope everybody enjoyed the show. If you haven't seen all of the films nominated, be sure to check them out at some point during the year. They are all great in their own way. I'm looking forward to seeing some new and great films released during the year.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-28-2011, 05:29 AM
actually though i had no fucking clue who was even nominated, i wasn't really paying who actually was to be honest. it was actually pretty DAMN nice NOT to see a Cohen Bros. film actually win anything. now i can't say IF 'True Grit" is any good or not? cause i haven't seen it yet. buut i just get tired of them winning each time a new fucking film comes out. those 2 guys are OVER-RATED by far.

not that they don't have talent they do, they just are OVER-RATED! anyways, this year actually it felt like NEW people who won an oscar was a nice change, instead of the same fucking people winning each & every year. it was actually NICE to see people who haven't won before actually win! & my dude Rick Baker who i think SHOULD work on the "DT" series he won for "Wolfman" & even though i haven't seen that film so i can't say if that one is any good or not?

that man Rick Baker i mean, is a fucking GENIUS on make-up! the best make-up genius that's better than him is of course than Fantastic "Lon Chaney Sr." to bad he didn't live long enough to be acknowleged for that later in his life. 'Anne Hathway" did a decent job i think at being the host. & though "James Franco" did a decent job he did appear stiff & did kinda lose interest at some point. well my views anyways.

Heather19
02-28-2011, 07:29 AM
Well, the results are in. Drum roll please.....

You know, I actually enjoyed the show a lot this year. Having seen so many of the films nominated this year really added to my enjoyment. Anyway, for the second year in a row, Heather is victorious. Congrats Heather, you certainly have a knack for this!

Here's how everybody else fared:

Heather - 17
Servant - 15
Path - 14
Mattrick - 14
Ricky - 12
Merlin - 11
Feev - 8

I hope everybody enjoyed the show. If you haven't seen all of the films nominated, be sure to check them out at some point during the year. They are all great in their own way. I'm looking forward to seeing some new and great films released during the year.

:rock:
I really enjoyed this years show a lot more than the past few years. And I agree with Roland, the Academy definitely has their favorites and they seem to pick them regardless of what film they're in, but this year seemed like a lot of new faces were winning as well. Which I really enjoyed. And I'm sure it also has to do with the fact that I had seen a lot of the nominated films (and really enjoyed them) as opposed to last year where I wasn't really routing for anything.

Jean
02-28-2011, 07:40 AM
Heather wins! Heather wins!!!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear-176.gif

fernandito
02-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Congrats Heather ! :clap:

Merlin1958
02-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Congrats, Heather!!!!

:thumbsup:

jhanic
02-28-2011, 10:42 AM
I have to say that I was disappointed that Hailee Steinfeld did not win the best supporting actress award. If anyone deserved it, she did. I agreed that The King's Speech was best movie, though.

John

Ricky
02-28-2011, 01:09 PM
If Colin Firth and The King's Speech hadn't won for Best Actor and Best Picture, I would have been totally shocked. I thought that Hailee Steinfeld was going to take Best Supporting Actress for sure. That was suprising to me.

Congrats on winning, Heather! :clap:

Merlin1958
02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Personally, I was rooting for "Inception" for Best Picture. I thought it was just an incredibly unique and inspired "Sci-Fi/Suspense" film meticulously crafted. IMHO

Merlin1958
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Official Announcement:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/announcement.php?f=5

Now get out there folks and do what you can, when you can and if you can!!!!!!

Congrats, Heather19!!!!!!!

Heather19
03-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Oh wow, thanks! I got my own little announcement :)

I still need to see True Grit so I can't judge how great Hailee actually was in it. But are you guys really surprised about Melissa Leo winning supporting actress? I think her and Christian Bale were the only locks for winning their respective awards. She's won everything that she was up for if I'm not mistaken and she was the front runner for that category. I know there was alot of talk at the last min for Hailee taking it, but I would have been really surprised had she actually gotten it. Personally I thought she did an amazing job in that film.

There were a few surprises for me, one being Tom winning Best Director. Although with all the praise that The King's Speech has been getting I guess I really shouldn't be that surprised. And my biggest disappointment was that Black Swan didn't walk away with more awards. I knew it wouldn't, but I wish it had. That film to me was absolutely flawless.

fernandito
03-01-2011, 08:02 AM
I'm still pissed off that the Academy gave Nolan the finger, but, f-it.

I haven't seen the King's Speech yet, but The Social Network was absolutely BP material. I'm upset that Fincher didn't walk away with Best Director.

Odetta
03-01-2011, 08:12 AM
*slaps head*
I now understand why Christian Bale sounds the same in Batman and in Terminator! I didn't know he wasn't American! Duh!

fernandito
03-01-2011, 08:29 AM
I'm glad Christian Bale finally won an award. He's such a versatile actor.

pathoftheturtle
03-01-2011, 08:46 AM
I still need to see True Grit so I can't judge how great Hailee actually was in it. But are you guys really surprised about Melissa Leo winning supporting actress? I think her and Christian Bale were the only locks for winning their respective awards. ....No, not really. I actually think there were more "locks" than that.
There were a few surprises for me, one being Tom winning Best Director.Didn't surprise me. That's the way it usually works at the Oscars.

I don't think the score for The Social Network was really the best nominated. I do think that it was best integrated into the film, but I'd say that Fincher deserves credit for that more than Reznor/Ross.

Erin
03-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Was it just me or did anyone else think that James Franco and Anne Hathaway really didn't have much of a presence at the awards? For what we did see of them, I liked Anne, but James Franco just seemed like he was high. :lol:

Ricky
03-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I haven't seen the King's Speech yet, but The Social Network was absolutely BP material.

I thought that Fincher would win Best Directing for sure, but The King Speech definitely surpasses The Social Network as BP material, in my opinion.

I don't think the score for The Social Network was really the best nominated. I do think that it was best integrated into the film, but I'd say that Fincher deserves credit for that more than Reznor/Ross.

I agree. Listen to TSN score by itself, and it's one the most boring scores I've heard. However, when it's integrated into the film, it's perfect. I do that that the award should go to one that is equally amazing while played throughout the film and by itself, though.

For what we did see of them, I liked Anne, but James Franco just seemed like he was high. :lol:

So you caught this too?! Did you see James in that mini-interview a couple minutes before the show? He really did seem high. I really liked Anne though. Franco totally held her back, almost like she was the babysitter.

Erin
03-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I did see it, Ricky! I was like, what's wrong with him? Haha.

fernandito
03-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Haha, yeah I saw that. I even made that as my status "Is James Franco faded?" :lol:

I haven't seen the King's Speech yet, but The Social Network was absolutely BP material.

I thought that Fincher would win Best Directing for sure, but The King Speech definitely surpasses The Social Network as BP material, in my opinion.

We'll see. I'll probably buy The King's Speech on dvd as soon as amazon has it in stock. I make it my business to always own BP winners. :D

jhanic
03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
i just read that they are planning on releasing a PG-13 version of The King's Speech. Now I can take my grandson.

John

Ricky
03-02-2011, 01:21 PM
I saw that too, John. I think they're mainly just cutting out that 30 second scene (and a few others) where he's spewing out curse words. Personally, I found it hilarious and felt it added to his character. It's been a long time since I laughed that hard in a movie theater.

jhanic
03-02-2011, 05:17 PM
I agree, but my daughter would kill me if she found out I was letting him hear that. I just hope when the issue the DVD, it will have that scene.

John

Ricky
03-03-2011, 11:13 AM
:lol:

Amazon has the DVD listed at 118 minutes (the theatrical running time) so I don't think that those scenes were cut.

jhanic
03-03-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't think the PG-13 version has been issued yet.

John

Mattrick
03-03-2011, 05:48 PM
For my official pick I really should have stayed with my gut with Melissa Leo. Ebert made a good point about support being split for Adams/Leo so I went with Steinfield for that reason. Oh well. Got the scripts right, best picture, all the acting and directing. Got original score and the foreign film wrong, thought Incendies would totally win.

Still Servant
03-03-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't see the point of releasing a pg-13 version of the King's Speech. There are probably a dozen people teenagers in the world that would even have the slightest bit of interest in that film.

As soon as they announced Franco as host, I had my worries. If you've ever seen him on interviews, he always comes across as shy and almost high. I don't think hosting the Oscars is the right venue for him. He can be incredibly charismatic (especially in movies) but live TV is just not his thing. I thought Anne had to carry him for most of the show.

The reason I thought Leo would lose the BSA award was because I thought her and Amy Adams would split votes. Also, she got a lot of flak for releasing an advertising campaign for her to win the award. A lot of people thought that would hurt her in the eyes of voters.

Mattrick
03-03-2011, 07:22 PM
It's not out of the ordinary for actors to take out campaigns on themselves, it's pretty political from what I hear. That's why I'm glad when the right people get awards, regardless of whether they politic or don't. This year all the right people won; Leo, Bale, Portman and Firth were all the ones I felt deserved it. And even though I would have picked Black Swan for Best Picture/Directing, King's Speech was totally deserving for those awards. Surprised King's Speech didn't win best original score as that's a pretty common award to go to the powerhouse movie of the year as I was expecting art direction to go to King's Speech to pad their awards a little bit. I though True Grit would take cinematography and thought Inception winning was an underdog. It was winning the effects of course and I underestimated Alice In Wonderland winning the costume/make up awards.

Mattrick
03-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I have to say that I was disappointed that Hailee Steinfeld did not win the best supporting actress award. If anyone deserved it, she did. I agreed that The King's Speech was best movie, though.

John

Leo was most definitely deserving.

Roland of Gilead 33
03-09-2011, 09:19 PM
i think Anne Hathway did the best she could. & did a decent job. there have been FAR worst hosts. the material she was given ya know jokes etc. wasn't very good. but to be fair they Rarely are. i think she had a LOT more heart into it. & had more fun with it. than Franco did. he i think really didn't know what the hell to do. it was nice for a change to watch an awards show that for me can just drag on & on. this one went pretty quick. so for me i think she did a decent job.

ziesha
04-13-2011, 11:23 PM
I m still confuse that how The King's Speech won the Title ?

Jean
07-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Best Picture
“Black Swan”
“The Fighter”
“Inception”
“The King’s Speech”
“127 Hours”
“The Social Network”
“Toy Story 3″
“True Grit”
“Winter’s Bone” Just realized that I still haven't gotten around to watching any of them. Should be remedied NOW.

Mattrick
07-20-2011, 07:03 AM
They're all pretty good. The Fighter and The King's Speech are probably my two favourites. Fighter is incredibly underrated because it's misunderstood. Winter's Bone is only one I haven't seen from that group yet.

Ricky
07-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Winter's Bone was incredibly well done. I've yet to see True Grit and The Kids Are All Right. They were never at the top of my list, so it might be awhile before I get around to watching them.

Jean
07-20-2011, 07:49 AM
can someone please expand my day to at least 48 hours? I need it NOW.

Heather19
07-20-2011, 07:52 AM
I loved The Fighter. Such an excellent movie. And I still have yet to see The King's Speech. For some reason it just doesn't interest me at all.

fernandito
07-20-2011, 07:52 AM
I haven't seen Kids Are Alright or Winter's Bone, but the rest are all great films in their own right. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them Jean.

Heather19
07-20-2011, 07:54 AM
You haven't seen Winter's Bone Feev? Why did I think you were the one that recommended it to me :lol:

Jean
07-20-2011, 08:04 AM
I haven't seen Kids Are Alright or Winter's Bone, but the rest are all great films in their own right. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them Jean.

see? what did I say? even 48 hours might not do

Heather :rose: - I, on the contrary, was planning to start with King's Speech (after Black Swan, of course)

fernandito
07-20-2011, 08:09 AM
You haven't seen Winter's Bone Feev? Why did I think you were the one that recommended it to me :lol:

I did ! I told you to check it out and let me know if I should watch it or not. I used you as the sacrificial lamb in other words :rofl:

Ricky
07-20-2011, 08:10 AM
And I still have yet to see The King's Speech. For some reason it just doesn't interest me at all.

Heather Martha Thompson! :o

If you do nothing else this weekend, you will be watching The King's Speech. :lol:

It seems like Winter's Bone is the one that the least amount of people have seen. It was getting a lot of buzz when it first came out, but then I think it got overshadowed by the "bigger" movies (i.e. Black Swan, The King's Speech, etc.) The book was fantastic as well.

DoctorDodge
07-20-2011, 08:20 AM
And I still have yet to see The King's Speech. For some reason it just doesn't interest me at all.

Me neither, Heather. I've been planning to, I just haven't got round to it. I haven't actually watched that many films on this list. Need to sort that out asap.

Of course, you already know what film should be your highest priority to watch by now, don't you? :P

Heather19
07-20-2011, 08:23 AM

I did ! I told you to check it out and let me know if I should watch it or not. I used you as the sacrificial lamb in other words :rofl:

:rofl:

If you do nothing else this weekend, you will be watching The King's Speech. :lol:

Yes Bright Eyes! :lol:

Jean let me know what you think of it. Our tastes in films is very similar.

Heather19
07-20-2011, 08:26 AM

Me neither, Heather. I've been planning to, I just haven't got round to it. I haven't actually watched that many films on this list. Need to sort that out asap.

Of course, you already know what film should be your highest priority to watch by now, don't you? :P

Uhmmm..... I have no idea of what you are referring to!
:P

fernandito
07-20-2011, 08:31 AM

Me neither, Heather. I've been planning to, I just haven't got round to it.

BUT IT'S BRITISH. DON'T YOU LOVE BRITISH FILMS

Jean
07-20-2011, 08:36 AM
YES HE DOES. AND SO DO BEARS

... why are we shouting?

DoctorDodge
07-20-2011, 08:40 AM

I've watched Withnail & I. You have not.

Any arguments you have may become valid once that's changed, as Withnail & I is, without a doubt, one of the greatest films ever made. Fact (because Jean said it!).

Jean
07-20-2011, 08:41 AM
hear, hear

fernandito
07-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Any arguments you have may become valid once that's changed, as Withnail & I is, without a doubt, one of the greatest films ever made. Fact (because Jean said it!).

Oh contraire monamie (sp?), I'm not the British film enthusiast. You are. I have no obligation of any kind to watch it :P

DoctorDodge
07-20-2011, 09:08 AM

Oh contraire monamie (sp?), I'm not the British film enthusiast. You are. I have no obligation of any kind to watch it :P

Neither am I obligated to watch The King's Speech: it's not on the Baker's Dozen list of Greatest British Movies. (But Withnail & I is, nudge bloody nudge!)

fernandito
07-20-2011, 09:11 AM
Wait, who the fuck is Baker ? :lol:

I'm just giving you hard time ! But seriously, King's Speech is a pretty damn good film. I would have given the BP award to Social Network personally, but KS is a worthy contender.

DoctorDodge
07-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I do mean to check both out. Eventually, anyway. Once I'm done with all my reviews on the 13 greatest british movies, according to those who posted on here, anyway. (I may have added in a couple, myself!) Then I'll get round to checking out more recent classics.

Ricky
07-20-2011, 10:53 AM
I didn't know the British had films! News to me! :o

DoctorDodge
07-20-2011, 11:01 AM

I didn't know the British had films! News to me! :o

I'm detecting a slight discrepency, here! :lol:

Oh, and I watched your Baker's Dozen suggestion of Harry Brown last weekend Ricky. Not a bad little film. A little bit of a typical revenge movie, but a revenge movie done well. Also, Michael Caine shooting hoodies = fucking A!

Ricky
07-20-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm detecting a slight discrepency, here! :lol:

Oh, and I watched your Baker's Dozen suggestion of Harry Brown last weekend Ricky. Not a bad little film. A little bit of a typical revenge movie, but a revenge movie done well. Also, Michael Caine shooting hoodies = fucking A!

:lol:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a bit typical, but I thought it had a bit of edge to it. Michael Caine really made it stand out for me and if he hadn't been part of it, I don't thnk it would've been done as well. If you're up for following with another Michael Caine film, definitely check out Flawless. AND it's a British film. :lol:

DoctorDodge
07-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Hmm, I've never heard of it. Along with Get Carter and The Italian Job, 2 more Michael Caine films for me to check out.

Best thing about Harry Brown, btw, is that it was the perfect family film. Well, for my family, it was! Mum and dad are usually put off by violence, but I think they got a kick out of seeing it happen to hoodie scum! We were just dissapointed that grandad didn't watch it with us! :lol:

Jean
07-25-2011, 02:25 AM
my to-watch list is growing... bears love Caine