PDA

View Full Version : BTVSAT - Quarterfinals: 1980s (Bracket 3)

mae
01-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Roseanne
vs.
The Simpsons

Previously on BTVSAT:

Roseanne beat Amazing Stories (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11570) and Murder, She Wrote (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11773) (112.00)
The Simpsons beat The A-Team (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11664) and Hill Street Blues (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11726) (107.85)

jhanic
01-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Simpsons, mainly because I REALLY don't like Roseanne Barr.

John

OchrisO
01-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Roseanne.

Roseanne Barr could be annoying, but everyone else on that show was amazing. They did such a great job of capturing the essence of struggling working class life, in my opinion.

Plus I grew up wishing Sarah Gilbert/Darlene Conner was my girlfriend.

kluker
01-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Roseanne!

fernandito
01-10-2011, 11:19 AM
The Simpsons.

Erin
01-10-2011, 11:21 AM
The Simpsons. I really like Roseanne, but I own several of the Simpsons DVDs and watch them on a fairly regular basis.

Iwritecode
01-10-2011, 02:17 PM
This was a bit of a tough one but I had to go with Rosanne. I still watch the re-runs on TV all the time. Simpsons re-runs not so much. In fact, I couldn’t even say the last time I watched a full Simpsons episode.

That’s basically how I’ve been voting for this entire tourney. Which show would I want to watch more if I happen to come across them while flipping through the channels?

John Blaze
01-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Roseanne. I can't believe the Simpson's has made it this far.

Heather19
01-11-2011, 03:44 PM
The Simpsons

This was a tough one. I wish they could both move on. I loved Rosanne. And actually have been watching it quite a bit lately. It seems like every time I turn on the tv it's on :lol:

Really? What surprises you about it? In fact, I'd be shocked had it already been voted out.

OchrisO
01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
The Simpsons

This was a tough one. I wish they could both move on. I loved Rosanne. And actually have been watching it quite a bit lately. It seems like every time I turn on the tv it's on :lol:

TVLand plays something like 12 episodes a day, I think. haha. I love it. It is great TV for the middle of the night.

fernandito
01-12-2011, 05:14 AM

Why ? It's one of the most iconic shows of all time, animated or otherwise.

alkanto
01-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Simpsons!

John Blaze
01-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Feev, I'm sorry. It's entertaining, and it's certainly popular, but I don't think it's THAT good. Maybe when it first came out it was certainly pushing the envelope about social issues (and i recognize the ambiguity in that phrase) nowadays it's corny. I will watch it if there's nothing else on, but that's about it. Again, this is only my opinion.

pathoftheturtle
01-13-2011, 10:36 AM
Roseanne.

Roseanne Barr could be annoying, but everyone else on that show was amazing. They did such a great job of capturing the essence of struggling working class life, in my opinion.

Plus I grew up wishing Sarah Gilbert/Darlene Conner was my girlfriend.Careful what you wish for: Darlene was a bitch. As character, though, I did love her, and the whole family. Why is it that there's so many beloved fat, opinionated comic actors, but people hate those qualities in actresses?

D'oh!

Emily
01-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Roseanne. Not because I particularly love Roseanne, but because there are few things on this earth that I hate as much as The Simpsons.

Mattrick
01-14-2011, 02:14 AM
This was a bit of a tough one but I had to go with Rosanne. I still watch the re-runs on TV all the time. Simpsons re-runs not so much. In fact, I couldn’t even say the last time I watched a full Simpsons episode.

That’s basically how I’ve been voting for this entire tourney. Which show would I want to watch more if I happen to come across them while flipping through the channels?

How can you vote like that? Like I think Sopranos/Six Feet Under are the two greatest shows ever made. But I would choose King of the Hill over it if it was on TV. Because shows like Sopranos/Six Feet Under aren't flip on when bored shows. They are investment shows. I watch them when I plan on watching a whole season or the entire series. Many great shows are like this; 24, Lost, Battlestar, Dexter, In Treatment.

For Sitcoms yeah, it doesn't really matter. But for most shows where episode to episode it follows a specific plotline, I'm hardly inclided to watch an episode because watching it will merely make me want to continue the series.

I voted Simpsons. It's the show that start adult cartoons. It's not the true started but think of all the great animated shows since it came out; South Park, King of the Hill, Futurama, Family Guy...if Simpsons wasn't such a success, networks wouldn't have put as much stock in animated comedies.

I enjoyed Roseanne but now when I watch it I'm expecting the entire cast to melt down and start abusing alcohol and cocaine. Some episodes stick out in my mind; the one where DJ starts jerkin off and when Roseanne gets breast reduction surgery and dreams Dan changed the surgery to torpedo breasts lol. Still, Roseanne is incredibly dated and much like Home Improvement it hasn't aged very well for me at all.

Iwritecode
01-14-2011, 06:38 AM
How can you vote like that? Like I think Sopranos/Six Feet Under are the two greatest shows ever made. But I would choose King of the Hill over it if it was on TV. Because shows like Sopranos/Six Feet Under aren't flip on when bored shows. They are investment shows. I watch them when I plan on watching a whole season or the entire series. Many great shows are like this; 24, Lost, Battlestar, Dexter, In Treatment.

That' how I've always ranked my favorite shows. I guess it's mostly because I don't usually watch the shows where you have to watch every single episode in order to keep up with what's happening with the plot. That strategy seems to be a more recent thing with prime-time shows anyway. Soap operas of course have been doing it for decades.

The only 2 shows I've ever watched like that are Sons of Anarchy and Heroes. Both of them got booted in the first round. I haven't voted on anything from the 2000s since round 1.

mae
01-14-2011, 07:04 AM
I haven't voted on anything from the 2000s since round 1.

That's a shame. On the other hand, it gives you a lot of stuff to watch.

Iwritecode
01-14-2011, 08:22 AM

It's mostly because I just don't have the time anymore. During the week I'm only home about 10 hours each day and most of that is spent eating and sleeping.

I'm still haven't seen the final 3 episodes of Sons of Anarchy yet because they are only adding the episodes to the website once a week.

Jean
01-14-2011, 09:21 AM
bears are totally voting The Simpsons, here, there, and everywhere

pathoftheturtle
01-14-2011, 11:39 AM

It's mostly because I just don't have the time anymore. During the week I'm only home about 10 hours each day and most of that is spent eating and sleeping.

I'm still haven't seen the final 3 episodes of Sons of Anarchy yet because they are only adding the episodes to the website once a week.I like to watch tv while I eat. An hour here and there really adds up... though I certainly wouldn't criticize anyone for not caring about watching television shows.

mae
01-17-2011, 07:43 AM
The Simpsons is moving on to the Semifinals, having received 20 votes (62.50%). Its score is now 170.35.

Jean
01-17-2011, 07:48 AM
good

John Blaze
01-21-2011, 04:49 AM
not good. :(

Jean
01-21-2011, 05:59 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_tongue.gif