PDA

View Full Version : BTVSAT - Quarterfinals: 2000s (Bracket 2)

mae
01-05-2011, 05:41 AM
Lost
vs.
Six Feet Under

Previously on BTVSAT:

Lost beat Sons of Anarchy (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11550) and Carnivāle (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11744) (139.16)
Six Feet Under beat Boston Legal (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11674) and Supernatural (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11786) (115.42)

fernandito
01-05-2011, 05:56 AM
L O S T

mae
01-05-2011, 06:44 AM
6FU - one of the best series ever. Too bad it has to go up against Lost, which I like, but feel not even close in the same league.

fernandito
01-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Come on , more votes for LOST.

Erin
01-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Oh man. Worst pairing ever. I absolutely love both. I seriously sat here and thought about this for 5 minutes.

Finally, though, I had to go with Six Feet Under.

mae
01-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Oh man. Worst pairing ever. I absolutely love both. I seriously sat here and thought about this for 5 minutes.

Finally, though, I had to go with Six Feet Under.

I love you! :couple:

Yes, a very tough pairing indeed. But series are no longer randomized, remember, so it's even out of chance's hands now - it's the points that count now...

Emily
01-05-2011, 10:03 AM
:o

LOST!

mae
01-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Is it just me? I feel Lost is way overrated. I loved it as I watched it, but it never stayed with me past the actual viewing. Sure it was a fun ride, a very original series, but in the end, especially when compared to something earth-shatteringly deep as Six Feet Under, I dunno, it just pales, in my opinion.

fernandito
01-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Is it just me ? Or is Six Feet Under overrated ? :)

To answer your original question though - no, Lost is not overrated. If anything it's under appreciated. I've never felt a stronger emotional reaction to dilemmas presented on screen the way Lost handled it.

mae
01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
And what did Six Feet Under make you feel? Me, I cried during the series finale. During the Lost series finale I felt nothing.

fernandito
01-05-2011, 10:20 AM
It's probably my favorite ending of all time. Any medium.

RainInSpain
01-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Now you guys got me intrigued by all this finale talk. Makes me want to watch both series.

mae
01-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Now you guys got me intrigued by all this finale talk. Makes me want to watch both series.

You haven't? What are you still doing here? Shoo!

RainInSpain
01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I'm that uncivilized :lol: But I intend to change that.

Mattrick
01-05-2011, 12:12 PM
Lost is by no means near the quality of six feet under, as much as I love it. Six Feet Under is simply a masterpiece in television, something no show will come close to matching for a long, long time. I love Lost but Six Feet Under wins even in the finale department. Damn, did Six Feet Under wrap everything up in a way totally befitting of the shows main theme. Pure love for that show.

I'd be surprised if Six Feet Under managed to win here. Lost is one of those shows with a massive dedicated fanbase that raves its the greatest show ever made.

OchrisO
01-05-2011, 12:49 PM
I went with Six Feet Under. As much as I like Lost, Six Feet Under honestly blows it out of the water.

Ricky
01-05-2011, 01:25 PM
I voted for the show that lies in the shadow of the statue. :evil:

fernandito
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
You made the right choice, Ricardos.

John Blaze
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
6'\/

Heather19
01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Oh man I love Six Feet Under, but it's Lost! How could I not vote for it :D

mae
01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Easy. Select the right choice: Six Feet Under.

fernandito
01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Oh man I love Six Feet Under, but it's Lost! How could I not vote for it :D

:wub:

OchrisO
01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
However it turns out, I am pretty proud of Six Feet Under holding te lead so far against a titan like Lost, even if by a narrow margin.

Feev, did you start watching Six Feet Under yet?

Still Servant
01-05-2011, 10:38 PM
How this could even be close is a mystery that tops anything Lost did in it's entire run. Amazing.

fernandito
01-05-2011, 10:40 PM
:thumbsup:

Melike
01-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Six Feet Under is awesome. I understand people who give it so much credit. But, Lost is my favorite in this poll. I voted for Lost.

Darkthoughts
01-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Same here. I don't understand what people have against Lost, I feel like some people slag it off purely because it's popular and has been hyped so much. To me though, it utterly deserves all the hype it is honestly the best show I have ever seen on tv.

mae
01-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Lost is great, undoubtedly, but against Six Feet Under? I was hoping to see this matchup much later in the tournament...

Mattrick
01-06-2011, 12:56 PM
Same here. I don't understand what people have against Lost, I feel like some people slag it off purely because it's popular and has been hyped so much. To me though, it utterly deserves all the hype it is honestly the best show I have ever seen on tv.

Great show yes. But it's like number 4 or 5 for me. Sopranos, Six Feet Under, In Treatment I think are better shows than Lost. Lost just doesn't have the acting and writing those other three have. Strongest actors on lost were O'Quinn and Emerson who I like but are eclipsed by Gabriel Byrne, James Gandolfini, Michael C. Hall, Richard Jenkins. I just can vote it over a masterpiece like Six Feet Under which I think, is the greatest show ever made. People slag on Lost because some aspects of the show just aren't very good while others are very good. Some people also phased out in later seasons due to it's content.

Funny, Lost is one of my favourite shows and since I see it probably going up against Sopranos next round or the finals...I won't be voting for it lol.

mae
01-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Mattrick, you're my buddy! :couple:

Rally the troops, we're, as of right now, only three votes away from a tie. It was more just earlier today.

Funny, Lost is one of my favourite shows and since I see it probably going up against Sopranos next round or the finals...I won't be voting for it lol.

Only if they both make it out of their respective decades. The Sopranos is technically a 1990s series, and that's where it's being contested.

fernandito
01-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Beautifully stated, I agree with every word. :)

OchrisO
01-06-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't have anything against Lost. I love Lost. Six Feet Under is just considerably better.

Mattrick
01-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Mattrick, you're my buddy! :couple:

Rally the troops, we're, as of right now, only three votes away from a tie. It was more just earlier today.

Only if they both make it out of their respective decades. The Sopranos is technically a 1990s series, and that's where it's being contested.

oh yeah, my bad. My gf has been bugging to rewatch Six Feet Under but he's never seen Sopranos so I gotta make her watch it first.

OchrisO
01-07-2011, 02:50 AM
This thread has inspired me to do yet another Six Feet Under rewatch to make up for all of the people who clearly haven't seen it. I suggest you all get on it. :)

Hannah
01-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Lost for me. I liked Six Feet Under, but I liked Lost more, including the finale.

fernandito
01-07-2011, 09:33 AM
:thumbsup:

OchrisO
01-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Fernando!

Watch Six Feet Under!

:)

fernandito
01-07-2011, 09:37 AM
:lol:

I shall ! My curiosity increased exponentially after I learned that Michael C. Hall is an integral part of the show. I'll start netflixing the series asap !

mae
01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
So wait. You voted for Lost without having seen Six Feet Under? How is that fair?

fernandito
01-07-2011, 11:05 AM
As fair as those who voted for Six Feet Under without having watched Lost.

You're nuts if you think that everyone who has voted for or against a show in ANY of the other threads have watched every show in that poll. :P

Heather19
01-07-2011, 12:51 PM
:lol:

I shall ! My curiosity increased exponentially after I learned that Michael C. Hall is an integral part of the show. I'll start netflixing the series asap !

I really think you're gonna love it Feev. Not as much as Lost :lol: But I do guarantee you'll enjoy it!

mae
01-09-2011, 06:41 PM
:cry:

DoctorDodge
01-10-2011, 12:40 PM
So wait. You voted for Lost without having seen Six Feet Under? How is that fair?

As fair as those who voted for Six Feet Under without having watched Lost.

You're nuts if you think that everyone who has voted for or against a show in ANY of the other threads have watched every show in that poll. :P

That kind of logic is almost enough to make me vote for Six Feet Under (which I've never watched) on principle! :lol:

Seriously though, you should at least make it a personal aim to watch at least a single episode of something before voting against it. And if you really believe a show is mega awesome and so much better than the other show, then why bother voting against a show you've never seen? Like when Torchwood was up against In Treatment: I think Torchwood has grown to become an amazing piece of mature, adult science fiction that Doctor Who really couldn't ever really become (not without beginning to suck from the attempt, anyway), but because I had never seen In Treatment, I didn't vote for Torchwood. I also didn't vote for Torchwood when it went up against Dexter either, for exactly the same reason, and although I love Lost, I'm certainly not gonna vote against a show I haven't seen that's been so heavily praised. Matter of principle!

mae
01-10-2011, 12:57 PM
In honor of Six Feet Under's likely demise I think I'll do a complete rewatch :)

A nice tribute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHEF2YDJZYg

Mattrick
01-11-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm going to rewatch too, along with sopranos

fernandito
01-11-2011, 04:50 AM
DD - I'm not voting against anything , Im voting for Lost.

DoctorDodge
01-11-2011, 05:04 AM
Same thing when it's one on one, isn't it? Especially if you haven't seen the other show.

fernandito
01-11-2011, 05:10 AM
So if doctor who comes up against a show you havent seen before youre NOT going to vote for Who ?

DoctorDodge
01-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Nah, i'd just do what I did when Life on Mars came up against Arrested Development and watch one or two (or three, in the case of AD) eps and make a fair judgement. Easy enough to do these days, especially with the internet.

Not that it matters, now Doctor Who's out of the running. :(

fernandito
01-11-2011, 06:55 AM
That was one of the most intricate run-around answers I've ever read! But I'm glad that decided to not bullshit both me and yourself :P

mae
01-11-2011, 07:48 AM
So sad :cry: I can't believe this isn't closer. I mean, I didn't think 6FU would beat Lost, not really, but 17-12? :cry:

DoctorDodge
01-11-2011, 12:32 PM
That was one of the most intricate run-around answers I've ever read! But I'm glad that decided to not bullshit both me and yourself :P

I have no idea what you're talking about.

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc5hkwJEsD1qcusv2o1_500.gif

There's still time for me to watch an ep or two of Six Feet Under at least, so i'm gonna try and watch it online, if i can. Watching it right now, in fact!

OchrisO
01-11-2011, 12:41 PM
My hope is that when Fernando gets around to watching Six Feet Under, as I have been hounding him to do for some time, it becomes his favorite show and he comes back here to hang his head in shame. Unlikely, but a man can dream. haha.

mae
01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
I would love for that to happen! :)

fernandito
01-12-2011, 05:37 AM
My hope is that when Fernando gets around to watching Six Feet Under, as I have been hounding him to do for some time, it becomes his favorite show and he comes back here to hang his head in shame. Unlikely, but a man can dream. haha.

I'll tell you what, if I watch 6FU and like it better than LOST -however unlikely that might be - I'll sticky a thread about how and why I liked the former better. I'll also throw in a "you were right Chris, you were right." How's that ? :fairy:

mae
01-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Lost is moving on to the Semifinals, having received 17 votes (54.84%). Its score is now 194.00.

DoctorDodge
01-12-2011, 06:05 AM

I'll tell you what, if I watch 6FU and like it better than LOST -however unlikely that might be - I'll sticky a thread about how and why I liked the former better. I'll also throw in a "you were right Chris, you were right." How's that ? :fairy:

It might not be quite as unlikely as you think, feev: I recently watched an ep, sure I was going to vote for Lost in this round, and instead watched something so spectacularly different to what I expected. If the rest of the series is as surreal, hysterical and complex as the first ep, then I'll be really gutted later that it didn't make it to the finals.

mae
01-12-2011, 06:46 AM
We have a convert! Long live 6FU. That's the cool thing about this tournament that it opens up new things to people.

OchrisO
01-12-2011, 06:59 AM

Haha. That works. I expect you will like it a lot either way. I mean, it is good enough that a big Lost fan like Erin voted for it in this poll. I'll just be happy if you enjoy it enough to keep watching it.

It might not be quite as unlikely as you think, feev: I recently watched an ep, sure I was going to vote for Lost in this round, and instead watched something so spectacularly different to what I expected. If the rest of the series is as surreal, hysterical and complex as the first ep, then I'll be really gutted later that it didn't make it to the finals.

I actually think that it gets way better as the show goes on and the actors settle into the characters. It also has an amazingly touching finale.

DoctorDodge
01-12-2011, 07:24 AM
We have a convert! Long live 6FU. That's the cool thing about this tournament that it opens up new things to people.

Exactly, and it's why i'm very defensive about making sure I watch a show if it's up against something I completely love, whether it's up against Doctor Who (although all the other shows I had already seen, and I preferred Who over every single one, even Python) or Life on Mars. Both in that poll and this one helped me to discover two awesome shows, as Life on Mars was up against Arrested Development, and whilst I still voted LoM, it has to be said that AD, like SFU, was amazing to watch, so getting the incentive to watch shows that everyone's been raving about is the main reason I've been enjoying this tournament (since about 5 other reasons have been voted out already by now).

mae
01-12-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm consoled by the fact it was very close. We see that Lost isn't having a cakewalk as some predicted at the outset.

fernandito
01-12-2011, 09:52 AM
I don't recall any of the lost fans saying that it would be a 'cakewalk', or anything to that effect.

mae
01-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Well comments were that Lost would be in the Final and that it was a foregone conclusion.

candy
01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
yeah but i thought it:ninja::rofl:

Mattrick
01-12-2011, 03:26 PM
SIX FEET UNDER

R.I.P.

DoctorDodge
01-12-2011, 03:31 PM
*Stands in silence around grave*

Does anyone want cake?

Sorry, i've just got cake on my mind, for some reason!

fernandito
01-12-2011, 04:00 PM
I almost wish Lost wouldn't advance just so I don't have to put up with all the hating.

Almost.

DoctorDodge
01-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Sorry feev, not hating Lost. Just the word cakewalk got me thinking about cake.

Sponge cake, in particular. I am British, after all! "We want cake and tea! Cake, and fine wine!"

OchrisO
01-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Sorry feev, not hating Lost. Just the word cakewalk got me thinking about cake.

Sponge cake, in particular. I am British, after all! "We want cake and tea! Cake, and fine wine!"

Cake or death?

DoctorDodge
01-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Cake, you terrible c**t!

(I wonder if anyone on this board is going to get what i'm referencing in the last couple of posts?)

Ricky
01-12-2011, 05:52 PM
I feel like LOST is always "picked on" due to its extreme success, almost as if people are somehow jealous of it. How, I have no idea. It does irritate me though.

DoctorDodge
01-13-2011, 04:04 AM
It might not just be the success of it Ricky: I think those who've not watched the show (and trust me, they do exist, especially in the UK) may have a hard time believing it's any good. For the longest time, I was deeply skeptical about it. Stories about survivors on an island, well, they've kinda been done before: Lord of the Flies, Robinson Crusoe, Gilligan's Island. It's kinda hard to believe that a fresh approach could've been done with it. The ongoing story intrigued me, but when I asked someone who watched season 2, "So, have there been any answers given yet?", the response of, "Not really, just more questions, if anything" didn't exactly fill me with much confidence. I'm used to a much faster pace when it comes to storytelling, especially from US shows, but let's be honest, it's a long time before the antagonists of the show are revealed in the slightest. Of course, that's only one side of it, but when you're used to characters stopping assassinations and raising ridiculously high body counts in just 24 hours whilst being just generally awesome, it's hard to believe a US show with that kind of slow pace could be any good. Especially when I heard how long it was planned for: over a hundred eps. 100 fucking eps set on a fucking island?!? Are you fucking kidding me?!?

Of course, I finally decided to watch it (mostly because there were so many fans on this board, which was a good sign that it wasn't shit) and was treated to some multi-layered and carefully structured storytelling telling that rarely feels padded out. Even better, I was treated to a US show with a carefully structured beginning, middle and ending, something that's rare to see, really. But you can't deny that it's one of those many great shows where the concept itself can be a little hard to sell to people who've never watched it and find it easy to dismiss it.

Also, it's made by abc, the tv station that thought remaking Life on Mars and drastically changing the ending would be a good idea, which doesn't help!

mae
01-13-2011, 05:44 AM
I feel like LOST is always "picked on" due to its extreme success, almost as if people are somehow jealous of it. How, I have no idea. It does irritate me though.

Personally, I'm not picking on Lost. I like it a lot. I just thought Six Feet Under was a much better series.

Ricky
01-13-2011, 07:56 AM
I wasn't picking anyone out, just saying what I've found to be true on other message boards/reviews and generally in public.

DoctorDodge
01-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I find the same to be true of Who: it's hugely popular, but there's always some people who just can't stand it partly because of its popularity. Well, in the UK, at least: problem is, on boards like this, it's the exact opposite: the only reason people have heard of it at all is because me and Pond don't stop going on about it! :lol:

fernandito
01-13-2011, 10:10 AM
I had heard of it a while ago when Ves and Razz sported Who themes simultaneously, but I didn't start watching it until Dodge ... insisted that I start it :lol:

DoctorDodge
01-13-2011, 10:14 AM
It took me ages, but I think the promise of a serious, in depth opinion on every Lost episode from me might've helped! :lol: