PDA

View Full Version : Books of similar scope

Klaidas
12-20-2010, 09:44 AM
What I mean by similar scope is the mix of 'was' and 'will be', technology and fantasy, realism and the surreal, prehistoric cannibals communicating with the aristocrats of the outer space oligarchy.

I am looking for books similar to the Dark Tower series in terms of elements and themes they incorporate: surrealism, paradoxes, magic realism, heroic epics and futile endavours driven by the disillusion of the protagonist (the last one's a bit tad concrete).

The problem with such books that it is undeniably difficult to define their genre. You can't name the Dark Tower fantasy, nor is it science fiction; or solely high-fantasy when it's also post-apocalyptic (and in a sense prehistoric). But obviously, a DT reader should catch at least a slight glimpse of what I might be asking for!

P.S. I SEARCHED I SWEAR.

pathoftheturtle
12-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Hm. Are you familiar with Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion? First thing that came to mind...

flaggwalkstheline
12-20-2010, 11:00 AM
The necroscope stories by brian lumley

Klaidas
12-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Hmm, the Eternal Champion appears to be a common sword-and-sorcery type of thing, once you disregard the fact that the protagonist is drawn from a realistic world.

As for Necroscope, it shows promise, but I have a terrible itch for vampires. I just hate them, especially if they're put through the conservative lens.

Any clarifications what exactly are those books about would be a great help! Oh, and... any other suggestions?

flaggwalkstheline
12-20-2010, 02:38 PM
necroscope is better than pretty much any other series with vampires out there and anyway it's about more than just them, it's got psychics and spies and alternate dimensions with just a hint of the cthulhu mythos thrown in, and the vampires are actually really original
not sure what you mean by conservative... the series doesn't try to preach any "wholesome lifestyle" and doesn't really lean towards any particular politics

Klaidas
12-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Hahaha, no I wasn't implying politics! Sorry bout the misunderstanding, but what I meant was all the garlic, sunlight, silver and stakes business.

pathoftheturtle
12-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Ah, think the word you wanted was "traditional" ...or possibly you were thinking of "conventional," though that's really not as specific.
The vampires in TDT were not entirely traditional, I guess. :orely:
The Eternal Champion kind of ties into all of Moorcock's work. It's pretty involved. It does present less mood on the surface than Stephen King does, though. Of course, there's really nothing exactly like TDT. I'll try to think a bit more about this thread, anyway. I'll get back to you, but if it's not soon enough, be sure to have have a Merry Christmas. :)

flaggwalkstheline
12-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Hahaha, no I wasn't implying politics! Sorry bout the misunderstanding, but what I meant was all the garlic, sunlight, silver and stakes business.

yeah
actualy the wampyri (as lumley refers to them) are quite entirely different from "traditional" vampires, i can't really say what makes them different as that would ruin the third book in the initial series. I've only read the first five books, all of which chronicle the adventures of Harry Keogh, the necroscope. There's another like 7 or 8 books after deadspawn (#5) but I haven't read em

Klaidas
12-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I see, thank you for the replies! Both books seem to show promise; I don't think you'd suggest them otherwise.
Thanks again and keep em' coming!

P.S. There are vampires in TDT? I just finished the third book, I guess I should have seen them coming among all the other things I've already had the pleasure to read about.

pathoftheturtle
12-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Say, have you read Gaiman's The Sandman? Multi-genre, postmodern/heroic fantasy, definitely broad in scope and highly absorbing... I've long thought that it has a lot in common with TDT.

Really, I'm not too shocked that SK finally decided to get into comics. His whole technique of crossing his books over to one another has long been common in that medium, though rare from a regular author.

Sandman, in fact, is even more deep, IMO.