PDA

View Full Version : Laughter Is The Best Medicine

She-Oy
10-13-2007, 03:45 PM
One of my favorite types of entertainment is stand-up comedy. No matter how crappy I am feeling, if I watch a really funny comedian who makes me laugh, I feel better instantly.

I thought it might be fun to start a thread where you can post your favorite bits and pieces of comedy.

Here's an old Eddie Murphy clip from Raw. He's talking about his mother cooking instead of taking him to McDonald's. I guess it makes me laugh so hard because I can sooooo relate to this.

Hope it makes you laugh too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvoBCr7E5qo

Telynn
10-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Oh, fun! I love stand-ups too.

This is video my daughter found (I have no idea how). She really loves it because of her orchestra background, but even non-musical me found it funny.

YouTube - Pachelbel Rant

Wuducynn
10-13-2007, 04:32 PM
http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a323/a323_bm.gif

She-Oy
10-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Many of you may have seen this, but Robin Williams on Golf is great!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X04wZpqx3U

Telynn
10-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Robin Williams is a crazy man! Look at all that water, I bet he drinks all that in one night. His mind works so incredibly fast.

Darkthoughts
10-14-2007, 12:57 AM
I've never seen that Robin Williams clip before - that was brilliant!

And Tel...that guy is hilarious!!! :lol:

Telynn
10-14-2007, 07:33 AM
My duaghter said the bass part of that song isn't much better then cello part, but they are more used to having to play boring parts.

Matt
10-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm soooo glad that little AME works for the most part.

Great video's in here.

She-Oy
10-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks. I have tons more to post, but I thought I might do it gradually.

ZoNeSeeK
10-14-2007, 08:15 PM
i love this chick who does voices - Maria Bamford :)

YouTube - Maria Bamford

Effinfunny.com - Standard Comedy Act by Maria Bamford

Maria Bamford - Montreal 2006

YouTube - Maria Bamford - I have allergies.

Daghain
10-14-2007, 08:59 PM
I sent that Pachabel's rant to a cello-playing friend of mine. Can't wait to see what she has to say! :lol:

Matt
10-16-2007, 12:09 PM
Hmmm...the flash player doesn't seem to work there Josh :(

Were those hosted video's from a site like Utube or something?

ZoNeSeeK
10-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Fixed for you matt

Darkthoughts
10-22-2007, 06:06 AM
YouTube - Canned Carrott - The Sperm Bank
YouTube - Victoria Wood - Let's Do It

Erin
10-23-2007, 08:32 AM
I saw Etta May at the local comedy club here in town last week. She was freaking awesome. I hadn't laughed that hard in quite awhile.

Matt
10-23-2007, 08:33 AM
Fixed for you matt

Sweet! I am glad the AME works for that format as well :excited:

Darkthoughts
10-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Especially for Patrick :D
YouTube - Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl - Philospher's Song

Daghain
10-23-2007, 08:51 PM
NOT work safe, but the funniest thing I have seen in ages: click on the video in the bottom right - I still laugh until I cry over this one: Cuddles the Fabric Softener Bear (http://robotchicken.info/Cuddles_Fabric_Softener)

Storyslinger
10-24-2007, 05:27 AM
That if F!@#$ up :lol:

Daghain
10-24-2007, 10:48 AM
But you laughed, didn't you. :lol:

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-24-2007, 11:14 AM
i agree She-Oy Stand is the best
even if it Carlos Mencia:lol:

Storyslinger
10-25-2007, 06:42 AM
But you laughed, didn't you. :lol:

Very hard, my sides still hurt

LadyHitchhiker
04-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Margaret Cho

George Carlin

Chris Titus

Stephen Lynch

those are my faves..

Mark
05-18-2008, 06:38 AM
So, who makes you laugh the most?

I'm quite a fan of Katt Williams and Chris Rock, i don't know why, since a lot of their jokes are aimed at black people, and i'm white.

Girlystevedave
05-18-2008, 06:57 AM
Dave Chapelle...hands down. I can hear his same stand-up or see the same skit a hundred times, and I always crack up. Plus, I always liked that he makes fun of everybody. He doesn't discriminate.

Sam
05-18-2008, 07:38 AM
I like John Pinette. There's a guy out there called Kerry White too. He is a very funny guy. I got to see him live and he absolutely slayed the audience. Also check out Robert Schimmel.

fernandito
05-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Dave Chapelle...hands down. I can hear his same stand-up or see the same skit a hundred times, and I always crack up. Plus, I always liked that he makes fun of everybody. He doesn't discriminate.

His Sports "Racial Draft" skit was pure comedic genius.

I'm pretty fond of George Lopez and Pablo Francisco, especially the latter's "Little Tortilla Boy" skit. :rofl:

Girlystevedave
05-18-2008, 05:11 PM

His Sports "Racial Draft" skit was pure comedic genius.

Or the blind black man who was in the KKK. :rofl:

The Lady of Shadows
05-25-2008, 05:46 PM
well, just to get this thread going again.

i'm a big fan of john pinette ("it's just very browsey", "get out of the line, get out of the line, get out of the line")

dave chapelle rocks my world. i can't watch the episode with wayne brady while drinking or eating or i'll choke to death. ("is wayne brady gonna have to choke a bitch")

jeff dunham is just fantastic. it's hard to choose a favorite but mdh and i do tend to greet each other with "hello infidel" and i often use "i keel you" when something doesn't go the way i want it to. (achmed the dead terrorist).

all the guys on the axis of evil comedy tour were great. i just ordered that dvd because comedy central never shows it anymore.

mia/susannah
05-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Jeff Dunham is great. I have one DVD, Arguing with myself, it is hilarious. Speaking of which, now that I mention him, I think I will watch teh dvd. Good niight folks

Steve
05-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Lewis Black and the boss, George Carlin.

obscurejude
05-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Are there other comedians than Dave Chapelle?

OchrisO
05-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Bill Hicks is probably one of my favorite comedians of all time.

Patton Oswalt and Brian Posehn are both amazing as well.

I saw Dave Chapelle live once(with Erin, actually) and it was a lot of fun. He was talking about how beautiful Kentucky is and said "There's bluegrass.....and meth labs everywhere!"

Jimmy
05-25-2008, 09:10 PM
My list begins and ends with Bill Hicks.

Rjeso
05-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Eddie Izzard.

Jimmy
05-26-2008, 05:12 AM

But the list also contains references to Eddie Izzard, Kat Williams, and Dave Chappelle.

jayson
05-26-2008, 07:12 AM
David Cross

The Lady of Shadows
05-26-2008, 11:28 AM
I saw Dave Chapelle live once(with Erin, actually) and it was a lot of fun. He was talking about how beautiful Kentucky is and said "There's bluegrass.....and meth labs everywhere!"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ka-mai
05-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Lewis Black, Eddie Izzard, and some guy who opened for someone in South Carolina, the opening act was so much better than the guy they had, I can't remember his name though.

Sam
05-26-2008, 07:25 PM

No offense Jimmy, but you need to expand your list. Bill Hicks was somewhat funny, but he had a big tendency to speak over the audiences head and then lash out when they didn't understand his humor. Just my opinion mind you. I always thought Richard Belzer was much funnier and easier to follow. I have never really enjoyed Bill Hicks. Sam Kinison, Richard Pryor, Jeff Foxworthy, Jerry Clower, James Gregory, Kerry White, Tim Statum, and a host of others, but not Bill Hicks. He's not the only one that I have not enjoyed, but he was the one I was most disappointed in having heard such praise for his comedy. If you can ever find any video of Dennins Wolfberg watch it. He was a trip.

OchrisO
05-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Bill Hicks' lashing out is one of the main reasons I like him so much.

Sam
05-26-2008, 08:40 PM
And there is nothing wrong with that. Kinison lashed out from time to time, but I just found a lot of Hicks' lashing out to come not from the comedic side. It was just anger at the audience for them not laughing. I understnad that feeling. I perform myself. But don't take it out on the audience when they don't get you. It never has a good end. Just my thoughts.

Jimmy
05-27-2008, 05:04 AM
No offense Jimmy, but you need to expand your list. Bill Hicks was somewhat funny, but he had a big tendency to speak over the audiences head and then lash out when they didn't understand his humor. Just my opinion mind you. I always thought Richard Belzer was much funnier and easier to follow. I have never really enjoyed Bill Hicks. Sam Kinison, Richard Pryor, Jeff Foxworthy, Jerry Clower, James Gregory, Kerry White, Tim Statum, and a host of others, but not Bill Hicks. He's not the only one that I have not enjoyed, but he was the one I was most disappointed in having heard such praise for his comedy. If you can ever find any video of Dennins Wolfberg watch it. He was a trip.

Hicks' lashing out never bothered me one bit, because I agree with him. If a topical comedian is telling jokes you don't get, cracking a book open, or keeping informed about current events isn't much to ask. Belz is fine and dandy if you're looking for sardonic wit, but I like Hicks' stance and delivery much, much more.

I can take or leave Kinison. It all depends on my mood.

Pryor was great.

Foxworthy needs to be dragged out in public and shot.

I've not heard of anyone else you mentioned, but I'll give Wolfberg a whirl when I have some free time.

Brice
05-27-2008, 05:17 AM
Just my opinion, but Bill Hicks was fuckin' great. Him lashing out didn't detract from his perfomance at all. Maybe, it even added something to it.

Jimmy
05-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Hicks' attitude towards the general public can be summed up thusly:

YouTube - Bill Hicks - Waffle House

You're either on one side of the line, or you're not even aware there's a line because oh wow, you see that 'splosion, man? Them pretty lights sure is entertainin' me and my 40 kids.

Brice
05-27-2008, 05:40 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

blackrose22
05-27-2008, 07:45 AM
I love Bill Hicks and he died way before his time. Billy Connolly as well is another great comedian.

OchrisO
05-27-2008, 01:00 PM
I like Bill Hicks so much because he transcends being a comedian. He was much more than just a funny man on stage. That's part of where the lashing out comes in.

LadyHitchhiker
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
George Carlin for me...

LadyHitchhiker
05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
or

Denis Leary...

OchrisO
05-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Mostly, when Bill Hicks would really lash out at the audience, it was because of hecklers, and could be really intense:
YouTube - Freebird!

This is from the same set:
YouTube - Bill Hicks Hates Hecklers

I also enjoy when he takes that same intensity to talk passionately about something:

YouTube - Bill Hicks - Play From Your Fucking Heart

Jimmy
05-28-2008, 05:41 AM
or

Denis Leary...

Leary, huh?

Really?

Please view this when you have a chance.

YouTube - Denis Leary steals from Bill Hicks *UNFINISHED*

Leary's going to have a lot to explain to Bill when he gets to the other side.