PDA

View Full Version : Which DT Character is really Stephen King

Randall Flagg
10-12-2007, 10:14 AM
Ok. Not counting when King writes himself into the books, which character do you think-conciously, or subconciously is Stephen King?

I say subconciously Jake is SK. King was abandoned by his father at an early age-and I believe was deeply hurt by that. Roland represents what a good Father would be to King-a hero. Deeply flawed with a single purpose-The Dark Tower. Willing to abandon all, including Jake (King by proxy) in his pursuit.

Wuducynn
10-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Shouldn't Donald Callahan be an option? I don't think one character would "be" King, but a combination of Jake and Eddie. King already said that Roland is no where near like him.

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-12-2007, 10:23 AM
IDK but my guess would be eddie just cause he kicks ass

Randall Flagg
10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Shouldn't Donald Callahan be an option? I don't think one character would "be" King, but a combination of Jake and Eddie. King already said that Roland is no where near like him.

Perhaps I should have added other choices, but there are (not counting OY) four main characters.
I'll ask as facilitator to add the choice of none.

If you think Callahan is the one, please elaborate.

Wuducynn
10-12-2007, 10:53 AM

Perhaps I should have added other choices, but there are (not counting OY) four main characters.
I'll ask as facilitator to add the choice of none.

If you think Callahan is the one, please elaborate.

I think Callahan is a possibility because to me he is a main character. Like I said, I don't think of him being King or representing King. For me its a combination of Eddie and Jake. Jake for the reasons you mentioned and Eddie because from all the interviews I've seen and heard of King and knowing all his drug problems he seems to also be a lot like King.

Darkthoughts
10-12-2007, 01:39 PM
I'd have to be obtuse and say all of them and none of them.

I think that as an author he draws on personal experience to lend credability and depth to his characters, but at the same time he takes pains to ensure he never completely encorporates himself as a character - other than when he actually was himself in DT.

I think anyone who writes...or even just daydreams about it, enjoys writing themselves into a role to a certain degree. But to avoid being narcissistic or simply acting out a fantasy on paper - you find that division between writing about what you know against who you actually are.

Odetta
10-12-2007, 01:40 PM
I actually think... none of them. I don't know why.

MonteGss
10-12-2007, 07:26 PM
I said Roland but only because of Eddie's thought that he and King could be twins. No other reason. They are not similar, as King as said himself, but I like the idea. :)

BedOfRoses
10-13-2007, 09:24 PM
I think there are several that are reflections of King, but I'd say Eddie, not only because of his addictions, but because of his intelligence, wit and big heart.

She-Oy
10-13-2007, 09:45 PM
I voted Eddie, but in truth, there's a little bit of King in all the characters, good or bad. And I'd imagine that would be true of all authors and their characters.

Jean
10-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I voted none. I can't really believe a writer would make any of his characters fully like himself; here I completely agree with what Darkthoughts said.

Darkthoughts
10-14-2007, 12:13 AM
:rock: I'm experiencing that euphoria Letti feels when you completely agree with her too :lol:

Jean
10-14-2007, 12:26 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

Letti
10-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Of course a character can't be fully like their writer (and I don't think Randall meant fully, either) but I think a writer is similar to all of his characters. Others have written it before, too.
And it's absolutely possible that he is very similar to one of them. Their history or childhood or both can be very alike.

I think we (I hope you don't mind me using "we") write to write out something from ourserves. To write out fears... memories... wisdom... messages... and one of the ways we can choose is to put yourself - a big part or a small one - into a character.

Daghain
10-14-2007, 03:16 PM
I said Roland. I think King said something once about Roland being a bit like him. :D

Asterisco
10-19-2007, 11:28 AM
I think it has a little bit of all. That's another item the poll should have ;)

Letti
10-19-2007, 02:15 PM
I think it has a little bit of all. That's another item the poll should have ;)

Too many people would pick that one. ;)

Randall Flagg
10-22-2007, 09:07 AM
I wanted the choices to be a bit more clear cut in hopes of generating discussion.

cozener
10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Roland. Roland is King's alterego...his tough guy fantasy. He even looks like King. I think most men have at least one badass fantasy self. Don't you?

Wuducynn
10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Of course..mine is the same as most guys..http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/4/4d/Pee_Wee_herman.jpg who else?

cozener
10-24-2007, 03:16 AM
That goes without saying. I meant the other one.

Storyslinger
10-24-2007, 04:56 AM
My vote goes to Roland

sarah
10-25-2007, 09:26 AM
I'd have to be obtuse and say all of them and none of them.

I voted none. I can't really believe a writer would make any of his characters fully like himself; here I completely agree with what Darkthoughts said.

I agree too. I think king wrote a bit of himself in all of the them and none of them. I don't think anyone is truly king or what he hoped to be. I think if you look long enough you'll see a bit of himself in everything that he writes. i think most writers are that way.

murphois
11-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Actually I've come to think of King (or his mind) as the Dark Tower.

King's mind contains all the levels of the tower (other worlds/books).
I actually think his wife Tabitha is the Rose. If the rose crumbles, he (the tower) would be destroyed.
When he was hit by the van, the tower was greatly disturbed and the entire world shook. His death certainly would have meant the end of all these stories.
This may be stretching it a bit, but the field of roses around the tower are his fans/readers.
When Roland reaches the top of the tower, the story begins again and Roland is brought back to the beginning of the first book. I think this represents a renewal as King decided to continue on writing. Prior to completing the final book of the series, he often said he would retire at that point, but then once he was finished, he found the desire to keep on writing.

Matt
11-06-2007, 11:14 AM
That is an amazing comparison there murphois--I believe you may be on to something.

Welcome to the site.

Darkthoughts
11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Awesome first post there! Hope you make many more :rose:

Erin
11-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Actually I've come to think of King (or his mind) as the Dark Tower.

King's mind contains all the levels of the tower (other worlds/books).
I actually think his wife Tabitha is the Rose. If the rose crumbles, he (the tower) would be destroyed.
When he was hit by the van, the tower was greatly disturbed and the entire world shook. His death certainly would have meant the end of all these stories.
This may be stretching it a bit, but the field of roses around the tower are his fans/readers.
When Roland reaches the top of the tower, the story begins again and Roland is brought back to the beginning of the first book. I think this represents a renewal as King decided to continue on writing. Prior to completing the final book of the series, he often said he would retire at that point, but then once he was finished, he found the desire to keep on writing.

This is such a great post and I didn't want it to get lost on the first page. :D

This really got me thinking murphios. Welcome to the site. :)

murphois
11-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Thanks, I've been looking for a nice place to throw out ideas about the Dark Tower series. Perusing through the forums a little bit, I like the topics, so I thought I'd respond.

One other piece I forgot to include along that theme. SK's "dark side" is represented the Crimson King who is a resident of the tower.

Darkthoughts
11-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I used to belong to another DT/King site that I can't find anymore, we were theorizing around the time of WotC and I had similar ideas to you - but not so detailed. That King was the tower was one. I think though, that I thought the Crimson King represented his accident...or...damn, can't remember...I must search for the site...

beam*seeker
05-10-2011, 07:54 AM
I think Roland is his wanna be self, (mask), Detta is his anima to a degree, Walter is his shadow and Jake is probably the closest to his actual ego. NIce thread

pathoftheturtle
05-13-2011, 03:44 PM
I dunno; I think a better thread might be, "Which IT Character is really Stephen King?"

LadyHitchhiker
05-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Good point, Path. Honestly, I hope it's Eddie! If it was Susannah I would be sorely confused... LOL