PDA

View Full Version : J.N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques-Gauntlet Press King Lettered

Randall Flagg
12-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Be on the lookout for an a announcement next week regarding a new King S/L book.

Please don't start contacting all of the known small press publishers about this-only one publisher is doing it, and numerous inquiries will only slow down the process.

Speculation, rumors and innuendo are encouraged in this thread. :evil:

This thread will be merged into the appropriate Publisher's thread upon the release of the announcement.
This thread will be renamed with the book title and publisher name upon official announcement.

turtlex
12-09-2010, 06:51 AM
:lol:

I love a tease!!

CRinVA
12-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Wow - no speculation, but much anticipation!!!!!!!!!!

turtlex
12-09-2010, 06:53 AM
I haven't even paid off my last S/L !! ;)

Tito_Villa
12-09-2010, 06:54 AM
So soon after the last one, im not sure i can afford another :(

mae
12-09-2010, 06:54 AM
:panic: The Cannibals

jhanic
12-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Centipede is finally doing The Shining! (Fingers crossed, hoping!)

John

Bev Vincent
12-09-2010, 07:32 AM
King's Grocery List -- with a special section on Frozen Foods.

turtlex
12-09-2010, 07:36 AM

I predict a one hour SELL OUT !!

Brice
12-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Be on the lookout for an a announcement next week regarding a new King S/L book.

Please don't start contacting all of the known small press publishers about this-only one publisher is doing it, and numerous inquiries will only slow down the process.

This thread will be merged into the appropriate Publisher's thread upon the release of the announcement.

Well...this sort of implies that it's a publisher who currently has a thread here, so if I'm right that narrows it down a bit.

Gauntlet, CD, or Centipede, right?

Jerome, don't you wanna' spread some "rumours"? :D

blavigne
12-09-2010, 09:33 AM
I feel really stupid here but I don't have any idea what an S/L book is.......can someone please enlighten me? Thank you

Stockerlone
12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Gauntlet - STEPHEN KING'S BATTLEGROUND is NOT new:nope:

Brice
12-09-2010, 09:34 AM
signed limited edition

blavigne
12-09-2010, 09:39 AM
signed limited edition

Thank you. Does this mean that a whole new batch of books is printed with his signature already on them and then they are sold or are they signed after they are printed? Also would this book differ in content from just a regular copy? Obviously I am not a book collector since coming to this forum I have been peeking at some of the collecting threads and they are interesting but a little intimidating too. What is a good resource for someone like me who is just curious and would like to do some learning?

jhanic
12-09-2010, 09:51 AM
The books are usually printed without signatures. The signatures are normally signed on the "limitation" pages, which are sent out to the authors and/or illustrators, who sign them. The pages are then sent back to the publisher, who puts them in the book. There are various ways of doing this, from having them "tipped in", which means they are glued in after the book is printed, or they are bound in at the printer's and then numbered by the publisher after the books are received.

John

blavigne
12-09-2010, 09:53 AM
The books are usually printed without signatures. The signatures are normally signed on the "limitation" pages, which are sent out to the authors and/or illustrators, who sign them. The pages are then sent back to the publisher, who puts them in the book. There are various ways of doing this, from having them "tipped in", which means they are glued in after the book is printed, or they are bound in at the printer's and then numbered by the publisher after the books are received.

John

Thank you..............very interesting!

turtlex
12-09-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm thinking CD .... now, what title?!? Hmmmmm. :orely:

Ricky
12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Ohh...this is exciting! If it is The Shining, that would be amazing. :drool:

But...how does Jerome know about this? :orely:

WeDealInLead
12-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Wind through the keyhole?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Wind through the keyhole?

Yes, Grant will publish it.

Randall Flagg
12-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Well...this sort of implies that it's a publisher who currently has a thread here, so if I'm right that narrows it down a bit.

Poor wording on my part. Probably should read-"This thread will be renamed with the book title and publisher name upon official announcement."

Brice
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
So....Mr. RT is right then, maybe?

Randall Flagg
12-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Mr. Rabbitt Trick is always right, but..........

tippy4
12-09-2010, 05:24 PM

Poor wording on my part. Probably should read-"This thread will be renamed with the book title and publisher name upon official announcement."

I think he got you Jerome.

That fact that you said MERGED instead of RENAMED speaks volumes to me.

Rahfa
12-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Yeah, Tippy's right....that's a Fruedian slip you would not have made if you didn't already know the publisher...

Nerak
12-09-2010, 05:59 PM
It won't be coming from Grant ;(

tippy4
12-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, Tippy's right....that's a Fruedian slip you would not have made if you didn't already know the publisher...

Rahfa, he knows which publisher it will be...he is just not saying who it is.

My point above is that I agree with Brice's observation that the publisher is one with an existing thread.

Karen has ruled out DMG.

You know, on second thought, that really does not help because there are a bunch of small publishers that have previously published a King S/L that have a thread here. Earthling, CD, Sub Press, Gauntlet, Lonely Roads.

My guess is CD, because thier thread is specifically CEMETERY DANCE DISCUSSION THREAD (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?5552-Cemetery-Dance-discussion-thread). Most of the other publisher's threads are book specific.

Randall Flagg
12-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't believe it was a Fruedian slip-
A Freudian slip, also called parapraxis, is an error in speech (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech_communication), memory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory), or physical action that is interpreted as occurring due to the interference of some unconscious (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unconscious_mind) ("dynamically repressed") wish, conflict, or train of thought. The concept is thus part of classical psychoanalysis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoanalysis).:P

Popularization of the term has resulted in its being applied to any slip-of-the-tongue phenomenon, often in an attempt by the user to humorously assign hidden motives or an air of sexual innuendo to the mistake. This has brought about a dilution of the original technical meaning, with the word "Freudian" being applied to interpretations and explanations that have no essential connection with genuine psychoanalytic thought.
Just bad lingo on my part. Would not be the first time.

Rahfa
12-09-2010, 07:02 PM
It won't be coming from Grant ;(

Lame....that was what I was hoping for...

Randall Flagg
12-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Grant won't put the book (WTTK) up for sale when King hasn't finished it-not official words from DMG, just my understanding of where that project is at this time.

Ari_Racing
12-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Alright, I have a theory.

Considering that darktower.com had to be sold to SK....maybe there was a hidden deal we didn't know about.

So my guess is that it'll be a new publisher related to Matt and Jerome somehow. As for the book, three options:

- Dark tower 4/5
- Dr. Sleep
- The talisman 3

And a last one:
Sword in the darkness.

Patrick
12-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Regarding his choice of words in the first post, it might have been a bit of intentional misdirection on Jerome's part. I wouldn't put it past him.

Centipede is finally doing The Shining! (Fingers crossed, hoping!)

John
I would love to see an S/L of THE SHINING.

Heck, I would love to see an S/L of DIFFERENT SEASONS as well. Great stories and the first or second King book I ever read.

Jerome did not say it whether this book will be a new story, just that it is a new S/L.

herbertwest
12-09-2010, 11:11 PM
I thought about a Palaver edition too, but...

Jimimck
12-10-2010, 01:02 AM
I'm usually just a Gift edition collector, but if it was a S/L of The Shining, I'd be getting a copy NO MATTER WHAT! Sorry for yelling. I'm just that excited at the idea.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-10-2010, 05:41 AM
I'm usually just a Gift edition collector, but if it was a S/L of The Shining, I'd be getting a copy NO MATTER WHAT! Sorry for yelling. I'm just that excited at the idea.

Depends on the Publisher. Some of them only let their regular customers buy the books, so as they can get the same number/letter as the last issue.

Ben Mears
12-10-2010, 05:49 AM
It won't be The Shining so Centipede is out, It won't be Wind Through The Keyhole because that would be Grant and I don't think they have a thread. Based on recent activity, as well an announcement from them about a major 2011 book from a New York Times bestselling author, it points to CD. Since it has been mentioned that Dr Sleep is not SK's next book, my guess is The Cannibals.

Jimimck
12-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Oh well, if going by what most people suggest, it sounds as though we are in for a story that I have yet to actually read, so no matter what it is, I'm looking forward to it.

Brice
12-10-2010, 06:18 AM
I'm pretty damn sure King wouldn't bring a DT book to anybody except Grant without offering it to them first.

Ben Mears
12-10-2010, 07:45 AM
Alright, I have a theory.

Considering that darktower.com had to be sold to SK....maybe there was a hidden deal we didn't know about.

So my guess is that it'll be a new publisher related to Matt and Jerome somehow. As for the book, three options:

- Dark tower 4/5
- Dr. Sleep
- The talisman 3

And a last one:
Sword in the darkness.

It won't be Sword In The Darkness. SK recently turned down a limited edition proposal that would have donated 100% of all fully audited profits beyond production and distribution costs to The Haven Foundation.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-10-2010, 09:10 AM
The Talisman III will not even be started this time NEXT year.

DanishCollector
12-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm sure it's the new novel we haven't been told much about.

Ari_Racing
12-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't think it'll be from CD either.

I keep thinking it has something to do with Jerome, Patrick, Matt and the people involved in DT.com and dt.org

Randall Flagg
12-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Other than me tossing out the thread, the book has nothing to do with Patrick, Matt or myself.

Ari_Racing
12-10-2010, 03:25 PM
When it'll be announced? :)

Randall Flagg
12-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I was told next week.

Merlin1958
12-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Gotta be CD. Those guys are on a freaking ROLL!!!!!!!!!

:panic::panic::panic:

lophophoras
12-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Very interesting...

Can't wait to find out.

WeDealInLead
12-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I think Jerome is enjoying our suffering a little too much. :)

Merlin1958
12-10-2010, 05:04 PM
I think Jerome is enjoying our suffering a little too much. :)

I agree. He probably killed Kenny, too!!!! The bastard!!!!!!

LOL

tippy4
12-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Could also be a S/L where King does an introduction (Sins of the Fathers, The Killer Inside Me), or a collection of short stories by various authors (Quietly Now, Borderlands 5).

lophophoras
12-11-2010, 05:54 AM
Very true Tippy.

Exciting news however it turns out.

willie3
12-11-2010, 08:37 AM
Jeez...
Not a clue.
Jerome, any idea on when next week?
I will be traveling again next week (Dallas), and do not want to miss out.
Karl

Patrick
12-11-2010, 12:11 PM
I have no inside information whatsoever. Jerome is extremely tight-lipped.

Question for the group:

First, Karen has stated that DMG is not the publisher of this project.

So considering that CD handled the very recent and ongoing back-to-back signed limited editions of BLOCKADE BILLY and FDNS, do you guys think that increases or decreases the odds of King using CD again so soon?

Personally I would not be shocked if it were CD, but I would be surprised.

ELazansky
12-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Gauntlet has had Battleground up on their website for quite a while. Maybe it is finally ready - http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=template&thispage=Battleground&ORDER_ID=144353717

MLG
12-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I think it will be a project that people already are aware of that is now nearing completion. Battleground from Gauntlet is one possibility and the reprint of Dark Masques from Cemetery Dance, which has been an unannounced project from CD for quite some time, could also be close enough for an announcement.

carlosdetweiller
12-11-2010, 01:33 PM
Could it be the ridiculously late (14 years) LEGACIES? It would be interesting to hear the full story on the delays of this book. I don't think CD has ever been entirely forthcoming on the reasons for the record setting delays.

Brice
12-11-2010, 02:18 PM
If not, I suspect they've said all they plan to say publicly. I know a lot of people were upset by that (and rightly so), but I just can't imagine there being much more explained publicly. I look at it as they've fucked up some in the past, but are trying to do better, but then they've never had my money. I'm sure I'd be upset if they had my money that long and I hadn't seen an expected book.

Rahfa
12-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Legacies supposedly IS being released imminently...so it's not that (or at least that's not a new announcement).

A Centipede "Shining" would get me excited...but that and a Grant release (which I guess it won't be) are all I can forsee an interest in....but we'll see...

MLG
12-11-2010, 02:40 PM
As someone who CD does have my money for Legacies I have a very different opinion. I purchased Legacies in 1998, expecting to have it shortly after I purchased it. When the delays began CD offered free books or discounts on books when a new delay was announced. At some point in the process they stated that they must stop providing the free items or discounts but I was free to request a refund if I tired of waiting. At some point they also said they would stop providing updates until they had the books in hand. On occasion I would send an email to CD asking for an update, they would say they had no update but would provide a refund if I wanted one. Each time I declined the refund. As they stated a few years back the next time I saw mention of Legacies from CD they had the completed books in their hands. They now estimate the tray cases will be compete soon and I should see the book in January of 2011. In my opinion CD owes me nothing more than the book. I would loved to have this book many years ago but I appreciate the way CD treated me during my wait. I will admit that waiting for the book rather than taking a refund was risky since the company may have gone out of business during my wait. I felt it was worth the risk and also felt I really would not be out much since they had given me free books and discount on other books early in the process. Just my opinion on the much discussed subject of Legacies.

Ari_Racing
12-11-2010, 02:41 PM
As far as I know (I've been talking with some publishers before this thread was created), I don't think it has to do with CD or Grant. I doubt it'd be Centipede Press.

My guess is Gauntlet or PS Publishing.

jhanic
12-11-2010, 03:20 PM
You have to remember that the title of this thread is a "New King Book S/L)" not a new book with a King story in it. Maybe I'm being overly picky here, but I have the feeling that Randall said just what he meant there.

John

Merlin1958
12-11-2010, 03:45 PM
As someone who CD does have my money for Legacies I have a very different opinion. I purchased Legacies in 1998, expecting to have it shortly after I purchased it. When the delays began CD offered free books or discounts on books when a new delay was announced. At some point in the process they stated that they must stop providing the free items or discounts but I was free to request a refund if I tired of waiting. At some point they also said they would stop providing updates until they had the books in hand. On occasion I would send an email to CD asking for an update, they would say they had no update but would provide a refund if I wanted one. Each time I declined the refund. As they stated a few years back the next time I saw mention of Legacies from CD they had the completed books in their hands. They now estimate the tray cases will be compete soon and I should see the book in January of 2011. In my opinion CD owes me nothing more than the book. I would loved to have this book many years ago but I appreciate the way CD treated me during my wait. I will admit that waiting for the book rather than taking a refund was risky since the company may have gone out of business during my wait. I felt it was worth the risk and also felt I really would not be out much since they had given me free books and discount on other books early in the process. Just my opinion on the much discussed subject of Legacies.

What might have been more appropriate would have been if they refunded the money to you and kept a reservation in your name for the book, when and if, it got published. No matter how you slice it, and whether anyone cares or not, to hold someone's money INTEREST FREE for over twelve years is simply not right. You'd never let a bank get away with it and rightly so.

Nevertheless, I realize at this stage its more or less a moot point, but what they did was akin to a hostage situation. No amount of apologies can set the matter straight.

But that is of course just MHO. To each his own.

tippy4
12-11-2010, 04:15 PM
You have to remember that the title of this thread is a "New King Book S/L)" not a new book with a King story in it. Maybe I'm being overly picky here, but I have the feeling that Randall said just what he meant there.

John

You know John, when I read your post, I thought, you were being overly picky.

But the more I think on it, you are right...if it was a S/L by another author in which King did an introduction, or an antholology by a bunch of different authors, my guess is that RF would have called this thread NEW S/L WITH KING SIGNATURE.

Merlin1958
12-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Maybe we need to think "Outside the Box". Could it be something from Marvel & the Comics????????

Nerak
12-11-2010, 04:39 PM
I really think we at Grant need to.raise our hands a little higher in order to get some King.

tippy4
12-11-2010, 04:41 PM
I really think we at Grant need to raise our hands a little higher in order to get some King.

Agreed!

Squeaky wheel gets the grease Karen.

Tell Robert to get squeakin'!

Maybe we need to think "Outside the Box". Could it be something from Marvel & the Comics????????

God I hope not.

Merlin1958
12-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I really think we at Grant need to raise our hands a little higher in order to get some King.

Agreed!

Squeaky wheel gets the grease Karen.

Tell Robert to get squeakin'!

God I hope not.

Well, that's somewhat pessimistic. I mean I'm not exactly "in love" with them, but there have been quite a few arcs and accompanying HC releases. They might be gathering them all up to make a "complete" arc Ltd Ed for the DT series. Especially, since it's mostly "New" stuff. Anyway, its plausible and could be cool I suppose depending on how they did it.

Merlin1958
12-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey Jerome!!! How about a "warmer"/"colder" kinda thing? I mean what, will they Sue you? We're among friends here. LOL

Ricky
12-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Whoever said this was about Stephen King? :lol:

Rahfa
12-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Hey Jerome!!! How about a "warmer"/"colder" kinda thing? I mean what, will they Sue you? We're among friends here. LOL

Agree. It's a fan message board...not Wikileaks....

Merlin1958
12-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Agreed Rahfa!!!!!!! You already "Spilt the Beans", C'mon let us in!!! Or are you one of the "select few"????

Give it up!!!!!!!! LOL LOL LOL

gsvec
12-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Whoever said this was about Stephen King? :lol:
:orely:

turtlex
12-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I would be surprised if it had anything to do with the comic arcs.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-12-2010, 01:15 AM
I really think we at Grant need to.raise our hands a little higher in order to get some King.

I don't thinks so Karen. Grant has published eight King Dark Tower books. No other small publisher has had anywhere near this many books. Grant will also get the latest one he is currebtly writing.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-12-2010, 02:06 AM
The Cemetery Dance "Dark Masques" proof says the publication date is December 2010. (I know, it's CD and this means nothing)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dark-Masques-Advanced-Readers-Copy-Stephen-King-/220710040429?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item336357f36d

Brice
12-12-2010, 05:11 AM
I'm about 90% sure it's a Gauntlet book...just a hunch though.

carlosdetweiller
12-12-2010, 05:32 AM
The Cemetery Dance "Dark Masques" proof says the publication date is December 2010. (I know, it's CD and this means nothing)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dark-Masques-Advanced-Readers-Copy-Stephen-King-/220710040429?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item336357f36d

That is the second printing of that proof. I've got an otherwise identical copy of the proof with "December 2007" listed on the back cover as the publication date. Just more CD shenanigans.

Nerak
12-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Plus we've done Talisman/Black House, Desperation, Christine am I missing any? But still would like some Currant action!!

Randall Flagg
12-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Warmer.

Rahfa
12-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Plus we've done Talisman/Black House, Desperation, Christine am I missing any? But still would like some Currant action!!

Well, like someone said, it's the squeaky wheel....it's unlikely anybody's going to call Grant (or any publisher) out of the blue and offer a book, so the proposal is the most important part.

jhanic
12-12-2010, 08:32 AM

That is the second printing of that proof. I've got an otherwise identical copy of the proof with "December 2007" listed on the back cover as the publication date. Just more CD shenanigans.

I also have a second printing of the proof. I'm looking for a first.

John

Nerak
12-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Unfortunately it's not MY job to squeak! Or I would have done it long ago. So we wait for word on Wind Through the Keyhole...

Rahfa
12-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately it's not MY job to squeak! Or I would have done it long ago. So we wait for word on Wind Through the Keyhole...

Very, very true! Oh well....

tippy4
12-12-2010, 11:38 AM

You forgot Prime Evil.

So that is 13 in 28 years.

I guess when you put it like that, DMG has gotten more S/L King action than any other small publisher.

Herbswhere
12-13-2010, 12:13 AM
My signed copy of The Star Invaders could be considered NEW by definition but would it be considered S/L? It was called self-published on this website....One of the oldest stories in existence and the only known copy that exists is owned by King himself (besides mine). To publish something: to make publicly known; announce; to issue a printed work for sale.> Mr. King typed the price for sale (20 cents) on the cover of TSI and also has Copyrights typed on the next page. I guess I don't understand the real difference between published and unpublished. Would the first copy of the Bible signed by Jesus be considered published??? Anyone know what a S/L copy of the bible goes for in this economy? (I was Catholic so I can kid). Also, does anyone know if The Star Invaders was the only story he self published? Looking forward to the replies... Thanks for the help?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Would the first copy of the Bible signed by Jesus be considered published??? Anyone know what a S/L copy of the bible goes for in this economy?

Now that would be a miracle!

The bible (New Testement), was written hundreds of years after Christ's Death.

Herbswhere
12-13-2010, 01:53 AM
I know the timing would've been a lil off but imagine the Bible signed by the rest of them too... peter, paul, luke, and if John could sign on the page where the scripture for 3:16 was...that would be sweet. "I Need A Miracle Everyday..." Jerry Garcia, The Greatful Dead.
I should be getting my newspaper - The Bangor Daily News delivered here any minute now (its 4:45 am est) & I was wondering if any (probably a few of you) would be interested in me picking up a # of copies when they do a nice full page article/story on the Kings. I've been clipping and saving newspaper articles on Mr. & Mrs King for 20+ years. It is their hometown paper and it seems like every week I clip out something they did newsworthy. Sometimes its full colored pages and cool-colored pictures having something to do with the most recent release (book, movie, donation) Let me know if your interested.

biomieg
12-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Also, does anyone know if The Star Invaders was the only story he self published? Looking forward to the replies... Thanks for the help?

According to Justin Brooks' Bibliography:

Thirty-one of the Classics: a collection of King's own abridgment of 31 classic novels [1959].
Jumper: a serialized story published in Dave's Rag (self-published by King's brother) [1959].
Land of 1,000,000 Years Ago: a self-published story [1959].
Rush Call: a story published in Dave's Rag [1960].
The Pit and the Pendulum: a novelization of the film of this book by Edgar Allan Poe [1961].
[Title Unknown]: a short story involving King's fellow grammar school classmates taking over the school [1961?].
People, Places, and Things - Volume I: a self-published collection containign eighteen vignettes by Christopher Chesley and Stephen King (nine by Chesley, eight by King, and one collaboration). Triad Publishing Company [1960]. A second edition was published in 1963.

Bev Vincent
12-13-2010, 03:08 AM
Since Philtrum Press is his own endeavor, one might argue that anything from that publisher was self-published as well.

turtlex
12-13-2010, 03:31 AM
Okay.... so it's now "next week" ... :taps foot impatiently:

Randall Flagg
12-13-2010, 06:14 AM
Ok. The publisher won't be taking orders until February, there is a typo on the web page that states January, but February is the correct month. so please wait for the announcement for when and how to order. There will be 52 copies signed by King-that's right, the Lettered copy is the only version signed by King:
Info:

J.N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques
Set for publication Spring 2011
Edited by Mort Castle and David Campiti

"A Masques story offers something beyond the transitory terror, the cheap thrill, the soon forgotten fright. It's horror fiction that says something about the way people are at heart." --J. N. Williamson, 1992
The Masques series of anthologies, published from 1984 to 2006 and edited by J. N. Williamson, presented superlative work by established and emerging horror writers, including Richard Matheson, Stephen King, Charles Grant, Ray Russell, Charles Beaumont, Tom Monteleone, Robert Bloch, F. Paul Wilson, Ramsey Campbell, Richard Christian Matheson, Paul Dale Anderson, and Robert R. McCammon. "Scare me!" was editor Williamson's principal guideline. The books won critical, popular, and international success, with editions published in Spain, Germany, Italy, and France.

In 1992, Mort Castle and David Campiti, working with J.N. Williamson, produced two 48 page issues of J.N. Williamson's Masques, presenting Masques stories in "graphic album" format. The "deluxe comics" (perfect bound) were published by Innovation Books, a comic book publisher. Illustrators included Mark Evans, Ted Naifeh, Mike Okamoto, Tim Vigil, Jose Pimentel, and Matt Thompson.

But the "comic book boom" was going bust -- and the "graphic novel" still had to await Art Spiegelman's winning the Pulitzer for Maus and Alan Moore's Watchmen being named one of the top "100 Novels of the 20th Century" by Time Magazine to become legitimate. Few copies of J.N. Williamson's Masques were printed, far fewer comics stores were around to sell them, and within a year, the publisher Innovation itself was gone from the scene.

Now, J. N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques triumphantly returns in a 112 page beautifully produced collectible from Gauntlet Press.

- All original art digitally restored.

- New prose features from Mort Castle, David Campiti, and original Masques publisher John Maclay.

- A brand new, 16 page story: F. Paul Wilson's macabre masterpiece "Soft."

- A "continuity cover" by Clive Barker, "The Skull Tree," previously the cover image for the fifth and final edition of Masques
Here's what you'll find in this collection:

Paul Dale Anderson "Better Than One"

Illustrated by Jose Pimentelhttp://www.gauntletpress.com/Images/BetterThanOne.JPG

Mort Castle "If You Take My Hand, My Son"
Illustrated by Mark Evans

Mort Castle "A Billion Monstrosities"
Illustrated by Tim Vigil

http://www.gauntletpress.com/Images/Monstrosities.JPG

Stephen King "Popsy"
Illustrated by Matt Thompson

http://www.gauntletpress.com/Images/Popsy%28web%29.JPG

Robert R. McCammon "Nightcrawlers"
Illustrated by Ted Naifeh & Scott Rockwell

http://www.gauntletpress.com/Images/Nightcrawlers.JPG

Wayne Allen Sallee "Rail Rider"
Illustrated by Mike Okamoto

Robert Weinberg "The Crushing Death"
Illustrated by Mark Evans

F. Paul Wilson "Soft"
Illustrated by The Artists of Glass House Graphics

http://www.gauntletpress.com/Images/Soft.JPG

Mort Castle, editor of J. N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques, is the only living author to have stories in all five editions of Masques, including the "special addendum" to the fifth volume, "Masques: Further Stories." He's edited or written 16 books, including the essential reference work On Writing Horror (Writer’s Digest Books), and his publications list of "shorter things" now numbers over 500. As a comics creator, he's written Leatherface, Monolith, Dream Angel, and many other comics. Castle is a member of the Fiction Writing Department of Columbia College Chicago, where he teaches "Story in Graphic Forms," a class in writing comics and graphic novels.

David Campiti, co-editor of J. N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques, was first published in comics in 1983. By 1985, he was writing Superman stories in Action Comics for DC and soon went into freelance designing, editing, and book packaging, in which roles he helped launch Amazing Comics, Eternity Comics, Malibu Comics, and other companies. In the process, he discovered and debuted the careers of many talents.

500 copy signed numbered edition (signed by all authors except Stephen King and Clive Barker and most of the graphic artists) $125

Slipcase for signed numbered edition and unsigned edition – Bonded bound slipcase will be beveled with the Clive Barker cover art inset on one side. Available ONLY with preorders. There will be no slipcases available after the book has been published. $35

Unsigned trade edition $50

52 copy Traycased Lettered Edition (signed by all authors and many of the graphic artists; this is the only edition signed by Stephen King and Clive Barker
Taking orders for this title beginning January 1, 2011 February, 2011

Link (http://www.gauntletpress.com/cgi-bin/gauntletpress/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=template&thispage=IllustratedMasquesBk&ORDER_ID=111585799)

turtlex
12-13-2010, 06:19 AM
Oh, cool.... No price though, on the King signed copies?!??

Thanks, RF !!!

ELazansky
12-13-2010, 06:20 AM
Have to pass on this one - I usually can't afford lettered copies, and I'm sure they will be out of my price range.

Randall Flagg
12-13-2010, 06:21 AM
No price as of yet.

turtlex
12-13-2010, 06:25 AM
Looks like Brice had it right - a Gauntlet book. :thumbsup:

I probably can't afford it, but I'm curious as to the price on the lettered editions. ( The only letter'd anything I have is Bev's Road To The Dark Tower, and I love that )

jhanic
12-13-2010, 06:26 AM
I'll probably pass on the lettered one also.

John

Cutter
12-13-2010, 07:02 AM
I hate when King only signs only the Lettered Edition (and then the price is jacked up), because I can't afford them. I would much prefer a $200 signed Limited BY KING.

I'll probably pick up the trade, but the Limited I doubt it.

Cutter
12-13-2010, 07:04 AM

I knew someone who had Brian Keene fill out a grocery list and then sign it. lol

mae
12-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Meh.

Rahfa
12-13-2010, 08:19 AM
Meh times II. Cool for an art book, and a neat edition overall, but an easy one for me to pass on.

WeDealInLead
12-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Trade edition for $50? Someone has a weird sense of humor.

That slipcase should be included in the $125 the signed edition costs.

thegreattim
12-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Trade edition for $50? Someone has a weird sense of humor.

That slipcase should be included in the $125 the signed edition costs.

Gauntlet almost always charges separate for the slipcase. Although, yes, I agree that it should be included in price. Although $50 for a glossy full-color illustration art-book is fairly typical I suppose.

Still, I am going to sound in with a third "Meh". An old short story, illustrated... overdone in my opinion. We've already had "One For The Road", the "SoD" volumes, and others past and future. I'll be able to pass easily on this too.

Randall Flagg
12-13-2010, 11:00 AM
I'm sure 52 people will be interested in the Lettered.

Pasiuk57
12-13-2010, 12:06 PM
no orders today?
Not til lFeb?

Ari_Racing
12-13-2010, 01:22 PM
It won't be Sword In The Darkness. SK recently turned down a limited edition proposal that would have donated 100% of all fully audited profits beyond production and distribution costs to The Haven Foundation.

King is known for helping small publishers, by allowing publishing a S/L edition of a book from him. But it also seems that he doesn't like/allow when particulars want to publish one, no matter if the earnings go to non-profit foundations.

Cutter
12-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Does anyone know if this is a paperback or hardcover?

Randall Flagg
12-13-2010, 01:48 PM
no orders today?
Not til lFeb?
Correct.

I'll check.

Patrick
12-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Undoubtedly.

I fully expect that the Lettered will be out of my price range.

Rahfa
12-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Undoubtedly.

I fully expect that the Lettered will be out of my price range.

Agree with all statements.

If I was into art books, I'm sure this would be exciting....just a different audience.

carlosdetweiller
12-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I think the artwork looks very good and I collect many of the other authors. I suspect I will get a copy.

Randall Flagg
12-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Per Barry at Gauntlet:
All of our signed limited editions are hardcover so this will be one, too.

Merlin1958
12-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Sorry, I'm disappointed. Personally, I just don't go in for the Artist/Author compilations, but that's just me. I actually would have preferred something from Marvel!!! LOL LOL

You all enjoy though, just an "Old Fart's" perspective!!!

LOL

carlosdetweiller
12-13-2010, 05:13 PM

It has been called to my attention that CD's progress (or lack thereof) on this book does NOT constitute "shenanigans" and I reluctantly agree. Let's just say yet another delayed book in a decade filled with them.

Ricky
12-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Easy for me to pass on this one.

e_taylor
12-13-2010, 05:29 PM

It has been called to my attention that CD's progress (or lack thereof) on this book does NOT constitute "shenanigans" and I reluctantly agree. Let's just say yet another delayed book in a decade filled with them.

I'd agree with shenanigans. Recent performance doesn't erase past shenanigans that haven't yet been rectified.

I will fully admit that I have been very impressed with CD of late in producing books on time and starting to catch up on old titles. I'll even admit that in the future I would order from the again. But I'm still avoiding putting any money out on pre-orders until ALL the backlog is caught up.

Cutter
12-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Per Barry at Gauntlet:
All of our signed limited editions are hardcover so this will be one, too.
Thanks RF!

Brian James Freeman
12-14-2010, 08:10 AM

It is indeed a full color hardcover, which explains the price for the trade edition (from a business perspective). Printing full color in hardcover can be very expensive, especially if you're not sending the job to China -- which many US companies refuse to do on principle even though it can be cheaper!

So the $50 price starts to make sense once you look at the printing cost, the production cost (it's my understanding all of the artwork is being digital restored, which can be very expensive), the cost of obtaining the rights to the material, etc, etc. There are many factors that go into a retail price, and since this is a trade edition, I'm sure Barry (or any publisher) would want to sell as many copies as possible, and you can't sell a lot of copies if you price the book way too high... but you also can't afford to lose money by pricing it lower than your costs, etc.

It's a balancing act every publisher faces when doing any project, but especially one like this that's kind of "different" and can have unexpected expenses. I'm not speaking on behalf of Barry, of course, so I can't speak about his specific business, but this is based on my general knowledge as someone who has gotten quotes for full color printing jobs.

Of course, none of that matters to you as a customer/collector if the material isn't your cup of tea! In that case, it's simply a lot of money for a book and you have to decide how much that book is worth to you personally! :)

By the way, Barry is letting some of his retailers take preorders for this one immediately if you want to lock in your Limited Edition, etc. I don't think that applies to the Lettered Edition since the pricing isn't set, though. Watch for announcements from your bookseller of choice if they decide to take orders, etc. I'm sure they'll all be announcing that on their own schedule.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com
http://www.CemeteryDance.com

Randall Flagg
12-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks Brian. I want a Lettered one, but I'll need to wait and see if I wish to pay (and get in line with others that are buying) the price.

Brian James Freeman
12-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks Brian. I want a Lettered one, but I'll need to wait and see if I wish to pay (and get in line with others that are buying) the price.

Yeah, I'm really quite curious to see the price on the Lettered Edition!

Best,
Brian

Randall Flagg
12-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Update email from Gauntlet:

Illustrated Masques Update:
We recently sent a press release announcing the publication of Illustrated Masques, which contains a graphic novel adaptation of Stephen King’s “Popsy.” We indicated we would not be taking orders until February.
We have decided to take orders for the hardcover signed numbered and unsigned limited editions beginning January 1. And from January 1-8 those ordering from the Gauntlet Press website (www.gauntletpress.com (http://www.gauntletpress.com/)) will receive a $10 discount on the signed numbered edition ($115 instead of the normal $125 price). Those order after January 8 will not receive this discount.
Lastly, as before we will not be taking orders for the 52-copy lettered edition until February.
Below is a description of Illustrated Masques
Best,
Barry Hoffman, Publisher
Gantlet Press

Randall Flagg
01-05-2011, 06:30 AM
Gauntlet is working on providing a lenticular print to all who order a signed copy directly from them. The print will either be from the cover art or from King's "Popsy".
Example of lenticular print (http://waywardsons.keenspot.com/workspace/extras/WSLenticularFRONT.gif)

Tito_Villa
01-12-2011, 07:36 AM
$1,500 for the Lettered copies ... ouch!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-12-2011, 08:13 AM
Gauntlet is only allowing their "best customers" to buy the Lettered Edition.

What I want to know is: what is a "best customer". Is it?

a. Customer who placed 20 orders at $30.00
b. Customer who placed one order at $2000.00

Mmmm.

Randall Flagg
01-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I am sure he will sell all 52, but I doubt many will be disappointed-in other words, I don't think dozens will be turned away.

Patrick
01-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Received the email. Way too expensive for me. Who's going to bite?

WeDealInLead
01-12-2011, 12:36 PM
How much is it?

jhanic
01-12-2011, 01:10 PM
$1500. I'm passing on that one.

John

thegreattim
01-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, no. If I had $1500 to spend on a King S/L, I'm fairly certain it would not be this one.

Cutter
01-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Agreed, not a great one to be spending $1,500 on. But I hope that for the people who spend that money Gauntlet can make a product worthy of that cost. I doubt it, but I hope so.

willie3
01-12-2011, 02:56 PM
For $1500 i would buy

Firestarter S/L, or
Christine S/L, or
'Salem's Lot S/L, or
Regulators S/L, or
Stand S/L, or
Any one of a dozen other Stephen King S/Ls not on my book shelf.

Most would leave me with some cash left over.

None for me. :nope:

Next !!

Karl

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Are you referring to the Easton Press DEAD ZONE as a signed, limited? Or did you mean a different book?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Received the email. Way too expensive for me. Who's going to bite?

I ordered it, but I'm not a "best customer", whatever that means.

tippy4
01-12-2011, 03:37 PM
I kicked it around, but I am passing.....

You will be able to buy this one below issue price in a couple years I imagine.

willie3
01-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Are you referring to the Easton Press DEAD ZONE as a signed, limited? Or did you mean a different book?
Should have been 'Salem's Lot.
Previous post corrected.
But I don't have the Easton Press Dead Zone either...

Karl

Cutter
01-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Should have been 'Salem's Lot.
Previous post corrected.
But I don't have the Easton Press Dead Zone either...

Karl
Karl you can find The Dead Zone for around $75 if you look enough. It's a pretty darn nice book for that price too! (no sig though)

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
I have the 1st Easton Press state of THE DEAD ZONE, and now that it was brought up I want the 2nd state too. This book collecting stuff never stops, thank (place the name of your favorite deity, if any, here).

Randall Flagg
01-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Today is the last day to order the Lettered Edition.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-20-2011, 04:02 AM
Received email saying I have been "chosen".

Randall Flagg
01-20-2011, 05:21 AM
Now comes the easy part-send in $1,500+.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-20-2011, 05:48 AM
They took my dosh before they sent the email!

JasonUK
02-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Ha! Ha! Following Gauntlet's announcement that only their most loyal customers would be chosen to buy these, their latest newsletter says there are still 5 available. So basically, if you order one your get one. Hilarious!

willie3
02-02-2011, 05:40 AM
Ha! Ha! Following Gauntlet's announcement that only their most loyal customers would be chosen to buy these, their latest newsletter says there are still 5 available. So basically, if you order one your get one. Hilarious!

No surprise to me.
Way overpriced IMHO.

Karl

Brice
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I think that means if you buy one from them they'll start considering you one of their most loyal customers...at least for awhile.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Cover

http://www.gauntletpress.com/Images/IllusMasques(large).jpg

Randall Flagg
02-16-2011, 03:31 PM
I saw that today. I have to think about it a bit, but initially it doesn't move me.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I noticed they removed the, "one copy per person" limit. Just shows that there is a financial limit to most collectors. If this book was at the "normal" price for a Lettered copy, it would have sold out in minutes.

Patrick
02-18-2011, 11:29 AM
That is a rather underwhelming cover given the price of the book.

Just the opinion from one who is not buying a copy.

Randall Flagg
07-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Today I received an advance copy today. I am reading it now.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-26-2011, 12:14 PM
... looking at the pictures?

Randall Flagg
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes. It is a "Graphic" novel.

Randall Flagg
08-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Just finished reading the book and had a few observations:

Artwork and production quality is superior. Art is bright, deep, and almost 3 dimensional. The $50 price tag is no surprise with this kind of production value.
King's "Popsy" is the most predictable and least enjoyable story.
Robert McCammon's "NightCrawlers" really benefits from the graphic representation. The artwork and storyboard add to an already enjoyable story.
Stand alone art in the book including the endpapers are by themselves worth the price of admission!

Two thumbs up.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1313960860-IMG_3197.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1313960872-IMG_3201.JPG%27http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1313960872-IMG_3201.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1313960882-IMG_3203.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1313960891-IMG_3205.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1313961023-IMG_3206.JPG

Given these production values, I am looking forward to the Lettered edition. For those interested, there are a couple of Lettered editions still available.
Contact Barry at Gauntlet Press- Gauntlet66@aol.com

Patrick
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
I really like those endpapers!

Cutter
08-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the photos, that is a lot better than I thought it would be. I'll be getting a trade now based off the photos.

Randall Flagg
08-23-2011, 01:51 PM
A few more pictures. The book looks much better than my photos convey.

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1314136225-IMG_3214.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1314136236-IMG_3218.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1314136247-IMG_3220.JPG

SkippyD023
08-24-2011, 09:16 AM
The artwork looks amazing. I might have to seriously consider buying a copy.

Thank you for posting the photos.

Ben Staad
08-24-2011, 09:41 AM
The artwork looks amazing. I might have to seriously consider buying a copy.

Thank you for posting the photos.

I agree the book looks amazing. Hopefully my wife will let me have some money (LOL) so I can buy on of these. :redface1:

Randall Flagg
09-05-2011, 04:50 PM
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/m/mcN0a0j10dgCMqSrChEGqFw/140.jpg (http://www.ebay.com/sch/Collectibles-/1/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A1%257C72%253A5321&rt=nc&_nkw=stephen%20king&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=5#)J N WILLIAMSON'S MASQUES 1 2 STEPHEN KING HORROR COMICS (http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-N-WILLIAMSONS-MASQUES-1-2-STEPHEN-KING-HORROR-COMICS-/360331948279?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item53e57530f7)

Randall Flagg
09-27-2011, 12:17 PM
Enter the Gauntlet Sweepstakes for a Chance to Win a Copy of J. N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques

To officially welcome customers to Gauntlet's Facebook page we're running a sweepstake to give away three copies of J. N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques.

The first prize is a signed numbered edition of J. N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques (retails for $125).

Second and third place winners receive an unsigned trade edition of J. N. Williamson's Illustrated Masques (selling for $50).

You must "like" our page in order to enter.
terms & conditions (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gauntlet-Press/136185029812233?sk=app_79458893817#)
Max. entries: No limit
Current entries: 2
Promo valid until:
10/01/2011 11:45pm

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gauntlet-Press/136185029812233?sk=wall

Pasiuk57
09-27-2011, 04:41 PM
Liked it!!

Randall Flagg
02-15-2012, 05:09 PM
Lettered Edition being offered at $1K. 33% off.

tippy4
02-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Jerome you need to add this to the COMPLETE LIST OF STEPHEN KING SIGNED LIMITED.

Randall Flagg
02-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Jerome you need to add this to the COMPLETE LIST OF STEPHEN KING SIGNED LIMITED.
Nice catch. I updated the list. Thanks.

Randall Flagg
05-24-2012, 01:28 PM
This is now getting very close. With only 26 signed by King, it will be interesting to see what the first few books go for on the open market-IF anyone actually sells one.

you ever seen a ghost?
05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Gauntlet's website says 52 lettered, all signed by King...

-justin

Randall Flagg
05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
<---------------OOPs- major screw up on my part.
Comment should have been in the "Stephen King's Battleground" thread

tippy4
07-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Did anyone here actually buy the S/L?

This picture creeps me out.....

http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1313960872-IMG_3201.JPG%27http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1313960872-IMG_3201.JPG

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-04-2012, 03:27 AM
I bought all the states and have the trade paperback on order from Bad Moon Books.

Randall Flagg
07-04-2012, 05:33 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1314466074-Masques%20Letter%20J.jpg

Ben Staad
07-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Nice! For whatever reason I've always liked Robert McCammons signature...does that make me weird?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-04-2012, 06:22 AM
No weirder than any other stalker :)

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-10-2012, 01:34 AM
You can now buy the lettered for $500! Oh well, I love throwing a thousand dollars away every now and then....

Randall Flagg
10-10-2012, 08:02 AM
You can now buy the lettered for $500! Oh well, I love throwing a thousand dollars away every now and then....
I am very displeased-actually I am in a pissed off rage (and out $1K also). This just makes me want to either give up buying books from the publisher at issue price, or just get out of the "game" completely.

Ari_Racing
10-10-2012, 08:32 AM
The lettered can be purchased for 500 directly from the publisher?

ELazansky
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM
From their newsletter:

"We’re doing some cleaning of our warehouse in Colorado and have a great deal for you on the lettered edition of J.N. Williamson's ILLUSTRATED MASQUES which is signed by, among others, Stephen King. You can grab a copy (while copies remain) for $500, two-thirds off the original cover price. The book comes in one of our most attractive traycases. Order the book as you normally would and in the Comment’s section mention “$500 special”. As always ignore the first notice automatically generated by our server. Your official confirmation will be sent with Barry Hoffman’s signature. Sorry, no Paypal payment accepted with this offer."

Ari_Racing
10-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Alright...and those who bought it for 1500, why don't you contact the publisher to get his response? Maybe you can get a benefit for this...

Randall Flagg
10-10-2012, 10:21 AM
I sent Barry an email expressing my displeasure.

Tito_Villa
10-10-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear about that RF, hope Barry can sort something out for you!

tippy4
10-10-2012, 11:14 AM

I was excited about only spending $900 on mine....oh well.

I'm sorry to hear about that RF, hope Barry can sort something out for you!

What is to sort out?

Gauntlet offered something for sale, RF bought it, and over a year later, they reduced the price to get rid of remaining inventory. Them's is the breaks. If I had a crystal ball, I would have waited longer than I did not. So on the one hand, I am glad I did not pay full price, but on the other hand, wish I could have paid $500 instead.

Randall Flagg
10-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I didn't write Barry asking for or expecting anything. I just told him ..."I know you have to clear inventory out, but seeing a Lettered edition "remaindered" just encourages me (and others) to hold off buying the item at issue price. Had I done that, I would have an extra $1K. "

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-10-2012, 02:45 PM
I also spent a good deal of money on another SK limited edition which just sold from a different publisher for $300 less then I paid for it. So I am 'out' $1300 I could have spent on another nice limited book. But I agree with tippy4 completely. Them's the breaks. I'll still keep on collecting though.

Roseannebarr
10-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I also spent a good deal of money on another SK limited edition which just sold from a different publisher for $300 less then I paid for it. So I am 'out' $1300 I could have spent on another nice limited book. But I agree with tippy4 completely. Them's the breaks. I'll still keep on collecting though.

I do not agree. We are dealing with publishers who know we are collecting. They are publishing books for collectors. They are setting the limits, copies etc... , I believe the correct way to handle the situation is too sit on the inventory or destroy the inventory. There by increasing or maintaining the value of what they are offering. Who wouldnt be skeptical of what they are selling in the future, if they handle the extra's in this manner. Donald M Grant is not having a "fire" sale of unsold copies at discounted prices. Cemetery Dance and Overlook are not discounting when they have extra's. They should be embarrassed that they over estimated the number of copies that they made and should not be "discounting" to this extreme.

Robert Fulman
10-10-2012, 04:04 PM
That would be an absurd way to run a business. Cemetery Dance most definitely discounts their books. They routinely have 50% off sales, and have grab-bags with much larger savings than that. DMG has started providing their books for sale through Amazon; I don't know the exact details of the financial transactions, but I imagine that DMG gives a significant retail discount to Amazon, based on the prices they have. Amazon is probably the primary reason why the LSOE gift edition sold out.

And, while we're on the subject, G&G books went out of business in 1990s, after publishing just two books in the "Lawrence Block Library". LB ended up getting all of the unsold inventory in the end, and is still trying to dump them 20 years later. I have a few that I paid $10 for, and I know that he has no qualms about all the collectors who paid full price for them originally.

killbourne
10-10-2012, 04:24 PM
PS Pub also had a ebay discount on their LOCKE &KEY s/l's. I think it was around $100..and the original price was $250.

tippy4
10-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I do not agree. We are dealing with publishers who know we are collecting. They are publishing books for collectors. They are setting the limits, copies etc... , I believe the correct way to handle the situation is too sit on the inventory or destroy the inventory. There by increasing or maintaining the value of what they are offering. Who wouldnt be skeptical of what they are selling in the future, if they handle the extra's in this manner. Donald M Grant is not having a "fire" sale of unsold copies at discounted prices. Cemetery Dance and Overlook are not discounting when they have extra's. They should be embarrassed that they over estimated the number of copies that they made and should not be "discounting" to this extreme.

That would be an absurd way to run a business. Cemetery Dance most definitely discounts their books. They routinely have 50% off sales, and have grab-bags with much larger savings than that. DMG has started providing their books for sale through Amazon; I don't know the exact details of the financial transactions, but I imagine that DMG gives a significant retail discount to Amazon, based on the prices they have. Amazon is probably the primary reason why the LSOE gift edition sold out.

And, while we're on the subject, G&G books went out of business in 1990s, after publishing just two books in the "Lawrence Block Library". LB ended up getting all of the unsold inventory in the end, and is still trying to dump them 20 years later. I have a few that I paid $10 for, and I know that he has no qualms about all the collectors who paid full price for them originally.

I have to agree....sorry RB...but that was just ridiculous. Publishers publish books to make money, not to increase the value of your collection. I doubt most small publishers like Gauntlet, DMG, and CD are getting rich, so every sale helps. And if you were a small publisher, would YOU burn your last four or five copies of a particular title if you could get $500 each for them?

And BOTH CD and DMG provide books to Amazon AND have sales. I bought a copy of IT and a Blockade Billy slipcase not too long ago for 50% off directly from CD.

And hey, let's be honest here...did anyone out there really think this book would increase or even hold its value? I knew this was going to be another FIFTY TO ONE scenario, which is why I waited until I could get it for 40% off at $900 (I just wish I had waited until the 66% off sale).

For the most part, King S/Ls hold their value or increase...but a few do lose value like FIFTY TO ONE and MASQUES.

Roseannebarr
10-10-2012, 05:34 PM
I can see both arguments, but I would not want to be in their position.

I still think the discount was too much. Not very respectful of your current and repeat customers. That being said, Maybe they should of went the DMG route, and had someone do remarks and raise the price!! :idea:

I was dispointed in my $125 gift edition and returned it. I am glad i did not buy the $1500 version!

Shannon
10-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I got my Knowing Darkness S/L for around $300, a third of the almost $1,000 issue price. I am a very happy customer.

But at the same time, I can see why people are upset. It sucks, but at the same time it's kinda the name of the game. We rush to purchase something at a higher price because it might sell out. And if it sells out, then we don't get one. But if doesn't sell out ... and the price lowers ... it hurts. When the second Stephen King bobbleheads came out, I purchased mine for $75. A day ro so later, they were selling for around $30. That hurt, lol.

Roseannebarr
10-24-2012, 11:04 AM

I have to agree....sorry RB...but that was just ridiculous. Publishers publish books to make money, not to increase the value of your collection. I doubt most small publishers like Gauntlet, DMG, and CD are getting rich, so every sale helps. And if you were a small publisher, would YOU burn your last four or five copies of a particular title if you could get $500 each for them?

And BOTH CD and DMG provide books to Amazon AND have sales. I bought a copy of IT and a Blockade Billy slipcase not too long ago for 50% off directly from CD.

And hey, let's be honest here...did anyone out there really think this book would increase or even hold its value? I knew this was going to be another FIFTY TO ONE scenario, which is why I waited until I could get it for 40% off at $900 (I just wish I had waited until the 66% off sale).

For the most part, King S/Ls hold their value or increase...but a few do lose value like FIFTY TO ONE and MASQUES.

This is how you sell books that you want to get rid of You should not discount the price by 67%

Joe Hill's HORNS [Signed Traycase] + 8 Signed Traycase Editions Joe Hill's HORNS [Signed Traycase] + 8 Signed Traycase Editions

Robert Fulman
10-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Presumably, you are talking about this deal from PS publishing (http://www.pspublishing.co.uk/joe-hills-horns-signed-traycase--8-signed-traycase-editions-841-p.asp). First off, they are selling 9 books with a retail value of £600 for £300, which is a 50% discount. That really isn't all that far from a 67% discount. Second, PS had a similar deal last year called "3 Signed TRAYCASE Editions (all 2009/2010) for £49.99'" you didn't get to choose which books you got, but Horns was included in the mix. Finally, when two copies of Horns came up for sale on ebay earlier in the year, they went for less than $100. PS can try to prop up the Joe Hill collector's market, but it's too late to insist that the book is worth £200; all that will happen is exactly what has happened: PS will hold onto the books until the time comes that they decide to sell them at a sizeable discount. It's also important to point out that Horns is the only in-stock book that gets this special treatment; what about the Ramsey Campbell or Rio Youers collectors, who paid £50 or £60 for their books, which are now apparently for sale at 8 for £100? Doesn't the publisher owe a debt to those collectors, or is the special treatment only for collectors of hyper-inflated books?

Roseannebarr
10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Doesn't the publisher owe a debt to those collectors, or is the special treatment only for collectors of hyper-inflated books?[/QUOTE]

Now you understand where I am coming from! I only collect the Stephen King and Joe Hill Books. After reading all the comments, I admit that in my own mind I thought the publishers where trying to satisfy a collector/good repeat customer. It took me a while to realize they are only in it for the money. :(

tippy4
10-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Look.....nobody complains when their book goes up in value....so nobody should complain when they go down in value.

We all have the option of buying direct from the publisher when a book is released (if you have the rights to do so), or take your chances and hope the publisher will drop the price later to get rid of inventory.

Most King S/Ls sell out, and most hold or increase in value.

This one was the exception to both rules.

Ari_Racing
02-23-2013, 09:29 PM
If possible, it'd be nice to know what did Barry said when you contacted him, Jerome.