PDA

View Full Version : All's Well That Ends Well

Erin
12-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Lately, I've heard and seen a lot of discussion regarding terrible book endings. This thread is a place to discuss the opposite. What are some of your favorite book/series endings?

*Note - Please remember to mark spoilers if you go into specifics!

A few off the top of my head:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - AWESOME ending. I was totally surprised and did not see it coming.

1984 by George Orwell - This book had a terrifying ending and truly scared me. I loved it's negative tone and those last 4 words..."He loved big brother", gave me chills

Fevre Dream by George R. R. Martin - A genuinely touching ending.

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult - Another ending I was completely shocked by. It left me in tears.

Harry Potter series - I loved the ending, even the epilogue. It left me totally emotionally satisfied.

OchrisO
12-02-2010, 11:58 AM
I really liked the ending of American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I thought it wrapped things up nicely on the other side of the pond. Also, prior to that bit, the final battle was pretty awesome as well.

At the end, I really like Odin's pronouncement of "He was me, yes. But I am not him."

I have never gotten around to finishing what there is of The Wheel of Time series, but the ending to book six is amazing. When
Rand forcibly makes all of those Aes Sedai kneel and swear fealty to him after being tortured and taking so much shit from them for six books,
I literally threw the book down and stood up cheering.

haunted.lunchbox
12-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I really loved the ending of the Dark Tower series. It was one of the best endings and most appropriate. I feel there really couldn't have been a better ending.

I also loved the ending of The Dark Elf trilogy regarding Drizzt-R.A. Salvatore. Homeland had an awesome ending, as did Sojourn. I need to get into the rest of the Dark Elf series.

I liked the ending to the short story The Mist-Stephen King.

Ricky
12-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Oh, I really liked 1984's ending too!

Yaksha
12-06-2010, 04:31 PM
I thought the ending to Confessor was appropriate. And satisfying. Quite frankly it didnt go the way i thought it would but how it all turned out was satisfying.

flaggwalkstheline
12-06-2010, 07:03 PM
dt7
best ending ever
or worst
I can't decide
that's what makes it great

The ending of Jem by Frederick Pohl:drool:

if you haven't read any Pohl that one book alone is absolutely amazing

blavigne
12-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I love the ending of David Copperfield. Every time I have read it, it feels perfect.

jhanic
12-07-2010, 09:58 AM
I loved the ending to King's novella in Full Dark , No Stars, "A Good Marriage". It was perfect.

John

LadyHitchhiker
12-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Momo by Michael Ende was solid. Even the ending!!!!!

Blonde Bombshell by Tom Holt was outstanding! Especially the ending!!!

I will think of more later.

blavigne
12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
I really liked the ending of The Shawshank Redemption. Actually, that whole story was really amazing.

Merlin1958
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I loved the ending to King's novella in Full Dark , No Stars, "A Good Marriage". It was perfect.

John

Bingo!!! I thought that was great ending as well.

I'll got with the ending of "The Lord of the Rings". That was perfect, so bittersweet.

pathoftheturtle
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
dt7
best ending ever
or worst
I can't decide
that's what makes it greatFinally, a rationale I can agree with!