PDA

View Full Version : Should I read Stand, or Stand uncut?

debungsmere
12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
I am a big DT fan, and have read several other King books. I have for some reason not read the Stand and am wanting to. With the release of the uncut book, I am confused on which version I should read?

Thanks for your opinions!

ELazansky
12-02-2010, 11:12 AM
I would definitely read the Uncut version

Erin
12-02-2010, 12:05 PM
The Uncut. That was the book King wanted to publish before he had to cut it down, so that's the way I feel it should be read.

I have read both versions though and some things are pretty different between the two. For example, if I'm remembering correctly (I've only read the original once, as compared to reading the Uncut version many times):

Ending spoilers:
Flagg dies in the end of the original while he just disappears in the end of the Uncut version. Right?

haunted.lunchbox
12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
Uncut! If I were to read the cut and really liked it I would wonder what I had missed out on and probably have to read the cut anyways.

debungsmere
12-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the opinions. I could see myself feeling very much like lunchbox said. Thanks!

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I read the original, and couldn't put it down.
Then when the uncut was released, I also couldn't put it down.
Read them both!

lordmerchant
12-03-2010, 06:48 AM
read the uncut, I dont know how anybody could read a cut version, knowing that there exists an uncut edition.

Dagavidiab
12-03-2010, 06:48 AM
The Uncut. That was the book King wanted to publish before he had to cut it down, so that's the way I feel it should be read.

I have read both versions though and some things are pretty different between the two. For example, if I'm remembering correctly (I've only read the original once, as compared to reading the Uncut version many times):

Ending spoilers:
Flagg dies in the end of the original while he just disappears in the end of the Uncut version. Right?
If i remember right, in the Uncut version Flagg dies, but just to revive in other place (i believe that he had no memory or something like that). That book needs a re-read!!
Ah, read the uncut version!!

lordmerchant
12-03-2010, 06:52 AM
@ Erin- read the uncut recently, the ending i recall is below

"I read the uncut recently, iirc flagg does not die, he awakens on an island many miles away with little memory of who and what he is, but has natives there to exploit"]

Jean
12-03-2010, 09:34 AM
uncut

flaggwalkstheline
12-03-2010, 09:35 AM
uncut version

it includes the adventures of trashcan man and The Kid!

maerlyns_rainbow
12-03-2010, 12:02 PM
Uncut! It's my favorite book of all time. I've read it 3 times (once a year since I bought it. And I plan to read it once a year from now on!)

haunted.lunchbox
12-03-2010, 12:47 PM
uncut version

Which is shocking! I seriously find King a brave author for writing some of the stuff he wrote about.

Merlin1958
12-03-2010, 05:36 PM
read the uncut, I dont know how anybody could read a cut version, knowing that there exists an uncut edition.

Especially with Sai King. DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LadyHitchhiker
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Uncut. You'll learn a lot more about the characters that way.

Jean
12-03-2010, 10:58 PM
uncut version

Which is shocking! I seriously find King a brave author for writing some of the stuff he wrote about.

Reading only selected American authors, I often wonder how puritanic American literature is, on the average, if this is shocking...

blavigne
12-04-2010, 07:19 AM
uncut version

Reading only selected American authors, I often wonder how puritanic American literature is, on the average, if this is shocking...

I guess that depends on what you read and where you look for it and what your definition of shocking is. I am not sure if the word is used in the context of being offended and in a state of disbelief or if it is meaning that state of wow, I did not expect that at all.

I also am not sure about your question Jean. Are you asking about "American literature" in a purely academic sense? If so, I don't know how to answer your question. However, if you are wondering only about what gets published then you just have to locate a source depending on how shocked you want to be and which way you want to get there.

Personally, I though most of The Kid and Trashcan Man's storyline was raw for sure but that is to be expected of Stephen King. I think the word I would use for my reaction is surprised but not in a good way..........

alinda
12-04-2010, 07:28 AM
thunderstruck ?

haunted.lunchbox
12-04-2010, 07:57 AM
uncut version

I guess that depends on what you read and where you look for it and what your definition of shocking is. I am not sure if the word is used in the context of being offended and in a state of disbelief or if it is meaning that state of wow, I did not expect that at all.

I also am not sure about your question Jean. Are you asking about "American literature" in a purely academic sense? If so, I don't know how to answer your question. However, if you are wondering only about what gets published then you just have to locate a source depending on how shocked you want to be and which way you want to get there.

Personally, I though most of The Kid and Trashcan Man's storyline was raw for sure but that is to be expected of Stephen King. I think the word I would use for my reaction is surprised but not in a good way..........

Hoping my spoiler works, if not I'll try to fix.

It was shocking to me because I guess you could call the US a little homophobic in their literature. There aren't many gay experiences written about in mainstream books, so to have SK write about these very vulgar scenes is shocking not because it's about sex, but because it was gay sex. I've read many books that have sex scenes, and rape scenes (like with VC Andrews) but I have very rarely read any homosexual lit in mainstream books here. I wasn't angry that it was put in, but it shocked me what he wrote about.

blavigne
12-04-2010, 11:35 AM
uncut version

Hoping my spoiler works, if not I'll try to fix.

It was shocking to me because I guess you could call the US a little homophobic in their literature. There aren't many gay experiences written about in mainstream books, so to have SK write about these very vulgar scenes is shocking not because it's about sex, but because it was gay sex. I've read many books that have sex scenes, and rape scenes (like with VC Andrews) but I have very rarely read any homosexual lit in mainstream books here. I wasn't angry that it was put in, but it shocked me what he wrote about.

I totally agree!! And I think Alinda hit it right on the head with Thunderstruck!! :)

pathoftheturtle
12-05-2010, 11:58 AM
uncut version

I guess that depends on what you read and where you look for it and what your definition of shocking is. ...True, but still, insofar as it's possible to speak generally, regarding America's mainstream, the answer is "Very." At heart, we're not really that far from our Puritan foundation.

mikeC
12-10-2010, 11:40 AM
I would read the cut version then if you liked it you will be happy there is more to read!

Merlin1958
12-10-2010, 03:03 PM
I would read the cut version then if you liked it you will be happy there is more to read!

Why would you not want to read the entire story the author intended? :orely:

pathoftheturtle
12-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Why would you not want to read the entire story the author intended? :orely:That seems like an okay question to me, but I'm not sure why someone would not want to read both versions, anyway.

I kind of like mike's suggestion, but here's another question: even reading the cut version of The Stand, who would not like it?

Merlin1958
12-11-2010, 03:54 PM

Why would you not want to read the entire story the author intended? :orely:That seems like an okay question to me, but I'm not sure why someone would not want to read both versions, anyway.

I kind of like mike's suggestion, but here's another question: even reading the cut version of The Stand, who would not like it?

No I agree, you'd no doubt enjoy either version, but to me it's like reading the novel then reading the 'Cliff" notes. However, to each his own.

mikeC
12-13-2010, 07:24 AM
"Why would you not want to read the entire story the author intended?"

Although I respect your snooty reply, The Stand was quite an excellent read before the Uncut version was released.
It's all about the story, I'm not really sure The Kid and Frannie's fight with her mom makes the story better but they are a nice addition. The core of story is there regardless but if you read the cut first you have something to look forward to when you read it again.

Also, the Cut version takes place in the 70s when King wrote it rather then the Uncut which had been updated. I think that's pretty cool too.

Merlin1958
12-13-2010, 11:49 AM

Although I respect your snooty reply, The Stand was quite an excellent read before the Uncut version was released.
It's all about the story, I'm not really sure The Kid and Frannie's fight with her mom makes the story better but they are a nice addition. The core of story is there regardless but if you read the cut first you have something to look forward to when you read it again.

Also, the Cut version takes place in the 70s when King wrote it rather then the Uncut which had been updated. I think that's pretty cool too.

Dude, I really was not trying to be "snooty", it was just MHO is all. Like I said "to each his own". If, it came off that way, then my apologies. There are valid opinions for either version. I just prefer the "Uncut", but that's my preference.

haunted.lunchbox
12-13-2010, 12:21 PM

Dude, I really was not trying to be "snooty", it was just MHO is all. Like I said "to each his own". If, it came off that way, then my apologies. There are valid opinions for either version. I just prefer the "Uncut", but that's my preference.

I didn't think it sounded snooty. I still question your intelligence with your views on Lost :angry: , you know... YOU ARE KIND OF SNOOTY WHEN IT COMES TO LOST! I digress... this particular quote was not snooty.

mikeC
12-13-2010, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=mikeC;577450]"Why would you not want to read the entire story the author intended?"

It's cool. No worries.
Great book either way.

Merlin1958
12-13-2010, 03:21 PM

I didn't think it sounded snooty. I still question your intelligence with your views on Lost :angry: , you know... YOU ARE KIND OF SNOOTY WHEN IT COMES TO LOST! I digress... this particular quote was not snooty.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be. It's just that IMHO "Lost" was a HUGE let-down in the end for such a ground-breaking and great show for 5 1/2 season's. It gets me going because it coulda been sooooo much more and that was what I was expecting. Not "Magic Island Butt-plugs" LOL, but, that is just one man's humble opinion.

If you were happy with it, don't let me cast a shadow on it. I'm just an "Old fart"!!! LOL Sincere Apologies, for any "Lost related-snootiness"

haunted.lunchbox
12-13-2010, 03:25 PM

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be. It's just that IMHO "Lost" was a HUGE let-down in the end for such a ground-breaking and great show for 5 1/2 season's. It gets me going because it coulda been sooooo much more and that was what I was expecting. Not "Magic Island Butt-plugs" LOL, but, that is just one man's humble opinion.

If you were happy with it, don't let me cast a shadow on it. I'm just an "Old fart"!!! LOL Sincere Apologies, for any "Lost related-snootiness"

Your VERY HUMBLE opinion indeed!

Merlin1958
12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
OK, OK I'm trying to apologize for my opinion here!!!

LOL LOL

brandnewfan
01-29-2011, 07:35 AM
I've only read the original cut version. It was pretty great, I can only imagine how awesome the uncut version is.

Jean
01-29-2011, 11:34 AM
read it, brand

Roland of Gilead 33
01-29-2011, 03:52 PM
i have to agree with "LOST" i was let down by the finale as well. it felt like they left to much out! it should have been even longer than it was cause they left so much out. part of it was cause of how much time they had episode wise. anyways that's my opinion though as well.

anyways, ayuh read uncut version of "The Stand" i've read both & i love the uncut version better as well.

jhanic
01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
The Uncut Stand is a much, much richer read than the original version. The character development is SO much better!

John

Roland of Gilead 33
01-29-2011, 08:46 PM
well said. though if memory serves me right, the orignal was in print for many years before "SK' took that out of stores. it's also funny that many king fans well not counting anyone here anyways. don't know there are 2 versions of the book "The Stand" i've talked with people about this in the past.

so they aren't i take it Die Hard "SK" fans

mae
02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Is there a site anywhere that lists all the differences between the two versions like there was for The Gunslinger?

kluker
02-05-2011, 10:24 AM
We have one of the original Stand prints

proverbs32
02-07-2012, 04:08 PM
You can't get the "Normal" per 1991 The Stand anymore can you?.
I would love to read that, But I'm glad the uncut version is the one everyone can freely buy and enjoy.

jhanic
02-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Proverbs, you can still find the early Stand in used bookstores, etc., but I'd strongly suggest you stay with the Uncut version. It's a much deeper read.

John

TCCBodhi
03-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I really love the Uncut version for the majority of the book, but I prefer the ending of the original version because it keeps thing ambiguous with Stu saying "I don't know." It left my mind to work in 2 directions and create 2 different worlds beyond the story, when the Uncut version removes that ambiguity and leaves us with just one direction to imagine. Now, I know the Walking Dude abides :tongue: but give me the uncertainty of the original version.

sgc1999
03-08-2012, 10:01 PM
read the abridged graphic novel instead:)

costanza
03-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Read the Uncut edition of The Stand and the original version of The Gunslinger.

rico567
07-22-2013, 05:10 PM
I've read both. The only thing the extra 400 pages do is make an already large book able to function as a doorstop.

Lookwhoitis
07-22-2013, 08:53 PM
I've only read the original. It blew my mind at a young age. I loved it! I have the uncut in a box somewhere. Gotta dig it out and read. Somehow, even with all the added chunky goodness, I don't think it will have as much of an effect as the original did on me.

Bryant Burnette
07-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Read 'em both. Then watch the miniseries and laugh at how shitty it (mostly) is.

Steve
10-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Each book has their good and bad qualities.

The uncut version is longer and has more plot threads, some of which are really good (The Kid, the "no great loss" chapter, etc.) and its updated nature and AIDS references to make it more prescient, but it does have a tendency to ramble a bit. The original version is tighter, but you lose out on some pretty good scenes. It may not be what King intended, but it's the first book of his I read and I loved it.

I prefer the uncut version in the end, but you can't go wrong either way.