PDA

View Full Version : BTVSAT - Round 1: 1960s (Bracket 7)

mae
11-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Doctor Who (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who)
vs.
The Jetsons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jetsons)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPajMRah4hI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VynfnYW8Ff0

alkanto
11-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Oh NO! How ever will I make a choice? :D

(see avatar/signature for references)

DoctorDodge
11-22-2010, 02:21 PM
What Pond said! :D

Also, even back in the cheap, cheesy 60s, Doctor Who was clearly better than the Jetsons: you only need to hear that awesome theme to know that!

fernandito
11-22-2010, 03:27 PM
...♪Jane, his wife !♪

/extremely catchy keyboard bit

DoctorDodge
11-22-2010, 03:32 PM
There's only one catchy keyboard bit you need to know feev, and that's, "diddle-dee-dum, diddle-dee-dum, diddle-dee-dum, oo-wooooooo-oooooooooooooooo." Classic stuff. The fact that they still use it today (but slightly updated, of course) shows just how immortal that tune is. As you know, having watched The Eleventh Hour by now. Right?

mae
11-22-2010, 03:33 PM
...♪Jane, his wife !♪

/extremely catchy keyboard bit

Love The Jetsons and the theme.

jhanic
11-22-2010, 05:32 PM
I could never get into the Jetsons.

John

mae
11-22-2010, 09:07 PM
It just so happens tomorrow is Doctor Who's 47th anniversary,

DoctorDodge
11-23-2010, 03:02 AM
Yep, a day I plan to celebrate by watching the first episode broadcast before moving onto some of the greatest stories ever whilst drinking alcohol and eating nachos! (It has to be said though that first ep 'An Unearthly Child' is easily a classic. If you haven't watched that yet, look it up if you can. The broadcasted version, not the unbroadcast pilot, that had a few tiny problems with it, but the one as transmitted is a classic, and one of my favourite opening episodes to a show ever! Full of mystery and wonderful ideas, especially for its time. Shame that not many people watched it the first time - it had the misfortune of being broadcast the day after Kennedy was assassinated.)

candy
11-23-2010, 10:44 AM
Dr WHO

hoooo hoooo hoooo, whaahahhahahah dadaaaaddddaaaaa

DoctorDodge
11-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Regarding the TARDIS chronicles clip you posted, pablo: that's gotta be one of the most epic things on youtube i've ever seen! Bloody hell, now I'm really in the mood to watch a shedload of Doctor Who! First 13 episodes comprising 3 stories, I've decided: An Unearthly Child, The Daleks, and The Edge of Destruction. Guess which enemy makes their first appearance in the 2nd one? ;)

pathoftheturtle
11-23-2010, 12:07 PM
... now I'm really in the mood to watch a shedload of Doctor Who! ...Whereas most of the time you're not really in the mood? :lol:

DoctorDodge
11-23-2010, 12:10 PM
... now I'm really in the mood to watch a shedload of Doctor Who! ...Whereas most of the time you're not really in the mood? :lol:

Well, I'm usually in the mood to just watch a bit of Doctor Who, at least. :innocent:

mae
11-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Regarding the TARDIS chronicles clip you posted, pablo: that's gotta be one of the most epic things on youtube i've ever seen! Bloody hell, now I'm really in the mood to watch a shedload of Doctor Who! First 13 episodes comprising 3 stories, I've decided: An Unearthly Child, The Daleks, and The Edge of Destruction. Guess which enemy makes their first appearance in the 2nd one? ;)

My pleasure. I spent over an hour on Youtube looking for a good one, since there's such an abundance of them.

DoctorDodge
11-23-2010, 12:36 PM
An hour? Wow. Have you thought about watching the show yet? I'm telling ya now, Series 5 (the first Matt Smith series that was on this year) is as good a place as any to start.

mae
11-23-2010, 12:40 PM
I'll give it a go one of these days, certainly.

mae
11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Wow, stiff competition for the Doctors.

DoctorDodge
11-24-2010, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I must admit, I am surprised at how well The Jetsons is doing. Maybe it's just me, but for a show that's stuck around for over 45 years, been an important part of both British and tv culture in general (you only need to type in "tom baker simpsons" on youtube to see that even in the US, it's got its fans), and is, most surprising of all, more popular than ever, you kinda get the feeling that it should be doing a lot better than this against a saturday morning cartoon, even if it's a Hanna Barbera one. I mean, stiff competition from the Jetsons? Really? Guess that wasn't as big here as everywhere else.

alkanto
11-24-2010, 03:50 PM
See, to be honest, if you had given me this poll a few years ago, I'd be tempted to vote for the Jetsons. While, yes, it is a cartoon, it was a very entertaining and well-made cartoon. I watched it regularly as a kid, and it wasn't even made when I was around. And, given that Doctor Who is a somewhat cult-show in places outside the UK, I'm not too surprised. I didn't say I wasn't upset, but I'm not as surprised as you think I'd be...

Now, of course, I'll be quite mad if DW doesn't advance. It is an amazing, show, despite not having such a huge following outside the UK.

DoctorDodge
11-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Well, it has been a long time since I watched it, so maybe I'm not being fair. And I know there's every chance that Doctor Who won't advance if it went up against a big US show like, say, Lost or X Files, but I would prefer it to get past the first round, at least, especially when it's up against a show that hasn't been quite as big a hit as a lot of other shows in this tournament.

mae
11-24-2010, 04:21 PM
Well it can't go up against Lost or The X Files because they're in different decades, so only if they all advance out of their respective decades.

DoctorDodge
11-24-2010, 04:24 PM
I know, pablo. I'm just being optimistic and thinking it'll get that far, tbh, even when it's gone up against all the other 60s shows out there.

alkanto
11-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Well, it has been a long time since I watched it, so maybe I'm not being fair. And I know there's every chance that Doctor Who won't advance if it went up against a big US show like, say, Lost or X Files, but I would prefer it to get past the first round, at least, especially when it's up against a show that hasn't been quite as big a hit as a lot of other shows in this tournament.

Oh, I will certainly be upset if it doesn't make it past a cartoon show! It's so much better than that...

But, however far it makes it in the tournament, we will know the truth of television, right? It really is the greatest show of all time, right? :D

Heather19
11-24-2010, 05:46 PM
Doctor Who :D
Although I really do like The Jetsons as well. I grew up on that show.

DoctorDodge
11-25-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm just wondering, for the people who voted for The Jetsons: why do you think it's the better show? Don't worry, i'm not gonna rant and rave about why Doctor Who's more awesome, I'm just interested in how it's so close.

mae
11-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Holy crap, it's now closer than ever! :panic:

pathoftheturtle
11-27-2010, 10:59 AM
In case this ends in a tie (can't believe that's so possible) I guess I better go on record as having voted Dr. Who.

I am reminded once again that people (especially my fellow Americans) seem to tend to values with which I don't agree in assessing entertainment.

alkanto
11-27-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm just wondering, for the people who voted for The Jetsons: why do you think it's the better show? Don't worry, i'm not gonna rant and rave about why Doctor Who's more awesome, I'm just interested in how it's so close.

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that those who voted for the Jetsons have probably not seen Doctor Who.....or if they have, they haven't seen much, or the best of the episodes. :unsure:

DoctorDodge
11-27-2010, 11:38 AM
In case this ends in a tie (can't believe that's so possible) I guess I better go on record as having voted Dr. Who.

Neither can I, path. I honestly can't believe it's gotten this close. Recently, my 2nd favourite show was also beaten in a tie, but I didn't feel too bad about that considering that (a) I thought hardly anyone on this board had watched Life on Mars at all, apart from us Brits of course, and (b) it was up against Arrested Development, a show that's had heaps of praise on it (and from the episodes I've seen, with good reason), so it didn't feel too bad. But I am shocked quite a few people on this board seem to think that the Jetsons is a better show compared to Who. Now, before anyone says anything, I wouldn't be so shocked if this weren't bound by decades rules and it was up against such high quality shows like Madmen, Deadwood or the Sopranos. I wouldn't even be shocked if it had gone up against other huge, tv changing 60s shows like The Prisoner (one i've yet to see but is something of a tv legend), or Star Trek. But it's hard to believe that a show like the Jetsons is providing such strong competition.

And thanks for the stated vote, btw. I'm not sure if it would be needed in the case of a tie, though: so far, no one's actually stated they've voted for The Jetsons, so in a tie Who should easily win this one. If the Jetsons gets so many votes that stated votes won't even count...too horrible to think about, really.

Oh, and just in case: I voted for Doctor Who, btw! (Didn't technically state it myself, so just thought I'd mention that!) :lol:

alkanto
11-27-2010, 11:40 AM
Well, I should state my vote, then, too!

Doctor Who for me, please :D

DoctorDodge
11-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Well, I should state my vote, then, too!

Doctor Who for me, please :D

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lc1s98l28S1qed69io1_500.gif

alkanto
11-27-2010, 01:42 PM
:lol:

So...which one is you, and which one is me? :P
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/ClumsyCostas/TheMasterThumbsUp.png

DoctorDodge
11-28-2010, 11:19 AM
:lol:

So...which one is you, and which one is me? :P
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/ClumsyCostas/TheMasterThumbsUp.png

Well, I've got Scottish genes (even though I can't do a good Scottish accent to save my life), so I guess that makes me Craig and you Matt. Also, i'm more likely to randomly pull the kind of face that Craig pulls! :lol:

Btw, on a point you made earlier:

I don't know why, but I have a feeling that those who voted for the Jetsons have probably not seen Doctor Who.....or if they have, they haven't seen much, or the best of the episodes. :unsure:

Hmmm, you may have a point there. Still, I'm shocked that after all this time, more people haven't at least checked out this awesome show yet. On the plus side, at least Doctor Who's still aheaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

A tie?! A BLOOMING TIE?!? HAVE THE PEOPLE WHO VOTED JETSONS EVER WATCHED WHO?!? :panic:

Heather19
11-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Wow, I can't believe it's a tie! I really hope Doctor Who makes it beyond the first round.

pathoftheturtle
11-28-2010, 11:30 AM
And still no comment.

My theory, aside from lack of exposure, is that many people want simplicity in their TV. Also, I suspect that there's an element of pure spite at work here.

Heather19
11-28-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm sure nostalgia plays into it too. I grew up on The Jetsons, so it'll always be somewhat special to me.

DoctorDodge
11-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Ok, to prove once and for all which is better, ladies and gentlemen, I give you, The Eleventh Hour!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcyrax_doctor-who-2005-5x01-the-eleventh-h_shortfilms

And I don't even consider this the best episode ever, I just think it's amazingly good!

RainInSpain
11-28-2010, 11:48 AM
::Adds Doctor Who to the list of series to watch::

I've seen The Jetsons (well, some of it, anyway - was not interested), but now am quite curious by the apparent cultish-ness of Dr.Who.

DoctorDodge
11-28-2010, 11:53 AM
I'd definitely recommend checking it out, Rain. It's certainly one of the most popular and iconic shows in the UK, but even outside of it it's got a few hardcore followings here and there, and in my opinion that's with very good reason.

And The Eleventh Hour is an excellent episode to begin with. I recommend checking it out tonight! (If for no reason other than to bring the voting situation back to a tie before the poll closes tomorrow, admittedly! :lol:)

Heather19
11-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Oh no, so during all this talk of Doctor Who someone voted for The Jetsons :lol:

RainInSpain
11-28-2010, 12:01 PM
DD, I can't see the link you've posted! (Not sure it was a link - I only see blank space.)
I'll see it I can find it elsewhere (tonight :lol:)

pathoftheturtle
11-28-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm sure nostalgia plays into it too. I grew up on The Jetsons, so it'll always be somewhat special to me.Well, let's face it; the show is very American.

DoctorDodge
11-28-2010, 12:07 PM
DD, I can't see the link you've posted! (Not sure it was a link - I only see blank space.)

Darnit! There was supposed to be a video there. I can see it on mine, at least, but perhaps it only plays in the UK.

Still, here's the link to the original site, just in case: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcyrax_doctor-who-2005-5x01-the-eleventh-h_shortfilms

RainInSpain
11-28-2010, 12:14 PM

Darnit! There was supposed to be a video there. I can see it on mine, at least, but perhaps it only plays in the UK.

Still, here's the link to the original site, just in case: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcyrax_doctor-who-2005-5x01-the-eleventh-h_shortfilms

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, still nothing - just a black rectangle and no movie. I'll see if I can find some local Russian website or something - I'm now determined to overcome this ridiculous situation.
(Gee, I wonder why we in Russia are so neglected - this is not the first time a clip/movie will not play for me.)

mae
11-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Jawdrop. Jetsons ahead. For a good feel of Dr. Who see the cool vid I posted in the first post.

RainInSpain
11-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Jawdrop. Jetsons ahead. For a good feel of Dr. Who see the cool vid I posted in the first post.

Thank you, pablo - I watched it. I also trawled Youtube for more clips, to get a better idea.
So now I'm going to bring the vote back to the tie again.

My vote is... for Dr. Who :)

DoctorDodge
11-28-2010, 12:30 PM

Thank you, pablo - I watched it. I also trawled Youtube for more clips, to get a better idea.
So now I'm going to bring the vote back to the tie again.

My vote is... for Dr. Who :)

Thankee, sai!

RainInSpain
11-28-2010, 12:35 PM
:couple:

alkanto
11-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Thank God for at least this tie! I saw this right before I packed my laptop to drive back to my dorm room...and I was panicked about it the whole way home! Now, we just need to maintain this tie...*fingers crossed*

candy
11-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Come on peoples!!! its dr who for goodness sake the longest running sci fi IN THE WORlD - no mean feat in this day and age

Who cant love a time lord in a TARDIS traveling through time?

vrs? The jetsons, flintstones set in the future????

mae
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Doctor Who is moving on to Round 2, having received 16 votes (53.33%).

DoctorDodge
11-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Thank God for that! Much closer than I would've liked, Pablo, but still great to know it's moving on to Round 2.

Now we've just gotta worry about what it'll face in that round!

pathoftheturtle
11-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah, might be something totally unbeatable... like Saved By The Bell. :P

DoctorDodge
11-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Well, it's still only the 60s round, so if it gets beaten by anything, it'll at least get beaten by something of higher quality than Saved by the Bloody Bell! (Which isn't saying much, considering Bewitched looks set to beat The Prisoner, for crying out loud!)

candy
11-30-2010, 10:10 AM
phew!!! that was a little too close!