PDA

View Full Version : DT Comics : Which character is depicted best or worst?

Wuducynn
10-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Which of the characters in the series is depicted closest to how you think of them? Also, which is the worst? Or are none of them depicted well for you?

Daghain
10-11-2007, 08:39 AM
I think Cuthbert looks the most like I thought he would. Rhea, although freakishly interesting, is not at all how I saw her. :D

Letti
10-11-2007, 08:40 AM
All of them are damn far... I can't choose. Maybe Roland's father is quite close.
But the others...
Yeah, that's me. :)

fernandito
10-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Roland and Cuthbert were dead-on, according to how I pictured them. Alain looked absolutely nothign like I pictured him, he reminds me of a rich spoiled (and chubby) who will start wailing if he doesn't get what he wants. I think my favorite depiction from the comics is definitely Eldred Jonas, he looks f'ing bad ass!

Mike Beck
10-11-2007, 08:59 AM
The Crimson King. I had him pictured completely different in my head. How he acted, his physical description. All of it.

fernandito
10-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Agreed Mike. The spider legs were a nice touch though.

Mike Beck
10-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Oh yeah, spider legs were badass. I think I liked him better in the comic than in DT7. :P

Wuducynn
10-11-2007, 09:26 AM
For me every character was different than what I had it pictured in my mind except for the CK in his spider form. That was spang on with how I pictured him. The worst for me was Rhea Dubativo, although I appreciate that you're going to have different artistic interpretations, hers to me shows that the guy doing the artwork REALLY should have read the books first.
Rhea is depicted as the classic hag cackling witch in W & G. All the other characters I could deal with the difference, and I thought Roland and Steven were very well done. Walter as Walter I pictured to be a much more grinning, joking character than depicted also. But I really liked him anyway.

fernandito
10-11-2007, 09:27 AM
Oh yeah, and Gabrielle Deschain was a total MILF! :lol:

Letti
10-11-2007, 09:37 AM
For me Thorin was the worst so far.

Patrick
10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Roland and Cuthbert were dead-on, according to how I pictured them. Alain looked absolutely nothing like I pictured him, he reminds me of a rich spoiled (and chubby) who will start wailing if he doesn't get what he wants. I think my favorite depiction from the comics is definitely Eldred Jonas, he looks f'ing bad ass!
Oh yeah, and Gabrielle Deschain was a total MILF! :lol:
FP reads minds!

Roland and Cuthbert were great. Alain's look was a total surprise, one I'm not totally happy with. Rhea was completely different as well, but I was ok with that one, I felt her look worked. Jonas was awesome. Roland's mom was smokin' hot!

Erin
10-11-2007, 11:19 AM
How Steven was depicted was spot on with the image I had in my head.

Alain....not so much.

Wuducynn
10-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Roland and Cuthbert were great. Alain's look was a total surprise, one I'm not totally happy with. Rhea was completely different as well, but I was ok with that one, I felt her look worked. Jonas was awesome. Roland's mom was smokin' hot!

What about Los', Walter and Farson?

Mike Beck
10-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Farson was totally different than what i expected, and much more badass than what i had in my mind!

severed head baseball. :)

Patrick
10-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I didn't have any real strong image of Farson in mind from the books, but I love what Jae Lee did with him.

I wasn't expecting Walter to look so much like Salvador Dali', but I like him as well.

MonteGss
10-11-2007, 03:07 PM
I liked Marten. Walter should have been more, I don't know, smiley.
Steven (see sig) was FRICKIN AWESOME! He was right on. Roland looked pretty damn good too. Los was awesome. Cort was super-cool. :)

Oh, and great thread!

Letti
10-12-2007, 12:10 AM
What do you think about Susan? Is she close to the picture you had in your mind?
I know she is very hot in the comics (I guess most of you don't mind it :)) but she isn't similar to the girl in my head at all.
In the books... she seemed to be a simle pretty country-girl.
So?

Patrick
10-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Honestly, I don't think Susan in the comic books was such the supermodel that I've heard people describe her as. She is very attractive, but in my mind she was supposed to be. In my mind I never saw Roland falling hard for an average looking girl. If she were drawn the way so many female superheroes are, then there would be problem, but she isn't. So, yeah, I'm fine with the way she was drawn.

MonteGss
10-13-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm ok with how Susan looked too. :)

Mike Beck
10-13-2007, 07:42 AM
no complaints here. ;)

i really liked the Big Coffin Hunters looks. they did a great job on those bastards.

MonteGss
10-13-2007, 08:06 AM
:lol:
Yes, the BCH were done well.

Wuducynn
10-13-2007, 08:17 AM
I'm fine with how Susan was depicted, although I have to agree with Letti that I picture her more "country girl" and she seems sophisticated to a degree. I like how they did the other two Big Coffin Hunters very much, my only slight complaint was that Eldred was not depicted ANYWHERE as limping.

MonteGss
10-13-2007, 08:20 AM
Huh? Oh, you mean he wasn't drawn that way in the comics? Yeah, that wasn't cool.

Wuducynn
10-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Huh? Oh, you mean he wasn't drawn that way in the comics? Yeah, that wasn't cool.

Yeah, and that was a fairly big part of his persona, his bad leg and his trembling voice...not depicted either. Like I've said before I have to wonder if Jae Lee read the books before doing this? The way Rhea is portrayed I'm guessing not.

Matt
10-13-2007, 08:25 AM
Yep, the limping would have been a good touch.

I didn't mind "country Susan" but her hair was way too blond for me, I always thought of it is more of a...dusty kind of thing. Not Dr. Quinn or anything, just darker.

Wuducynn
10-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Yep, a darker gold is how I pictured her hair too.

Letti
10-13-2007, 08:50 AM
I don't mind the colour of her hair but damn when someone is burning until death she really should give up that super-model feeling and she should show some "not-so-perfect-but-real" emotions on her face.
I cry your pardon but that pic is killing me. I am sure you know which one I am talking about.

Wuducynn
10-13-2007, 11:51 AM
*steals OChrisO's desktop to do this* Do you mean this one Letti? :D

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/pcdesktop-1.jpg

Letti
10-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Yes, I do. :) Thanks.

Patrick
10-13-2007, 11:05 PM
I agree. There is another discussion about exactly that picture in one of these threads somewhere... maybe the issue #7 thread?

EDIT: Yes, it is in the issue #7 thread starting with post #86 here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=26834&postcount=86) and continuing for the rest of the thread (as it currently stands).

I suggest discussing the depiction of her character overall here, but that specific scene over in the actual issue thread.

Daghain
10-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Once I saw Alain, I thought, "yeah, that's it".

Rhea a definite no. And I wasn't too happy with Jonas, either. I'm not sure why. I think he's close, but not quite there for some reason.

And yeah, Steven is spot-on. :D

Asterisco
10-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Alain is, by far, the worst one.

The best could be Ted (in Hearts In Atlantis), Roland (the one the first three volumes of DT) or Ben Hascom.

Wuducynn
10-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Alain is, by far, the worst one.

The best could be Ted (in Hearts In Atlantis), Roland (the one the first three volumes of DT) or Ben Hascom.

We're talking about how various characters from the Dark Tower series were depicted in the Gunslinger Born comic series.

jayson
12-05-2007, 04:36 AM
For me the best so far has been Steven Deschain. Firstly it was cool to see the face of the father Roland has to remember, but it was fairly close to the way I had always pictured S.D.

The most disappointing representation so far I think is Sheemie. This is not at all how I envisioned Sheemie. Feeble is one thing, but this depiction of Sheemie is downright pathetic.

Matt
12-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Yep, Steven Deschain was spot on imo. Some of the others left a bit to be desired for sure.

Wuducynn
12-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Steven Deschain was exactly how I pictured him. Los' was exactly how I pictured him in his spider form. Everyone else veered off into left field, especially Rhea and Sheemie.

jayson
12-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Steven Deschain was exactly how I pictured him. Los' was exactly how I pictured him in his spider form. Everyone else veered off into left field, especially Rhea and Sheemie.

Los the Spider is not at all how I pictured him, but in his case I like the depiction better in the comics better than my version. His comic depiction is fascinating and terrible all at once, just like he should be. Rhea leaves a bit to be desired. She certainly looks hideous, but not quite as I had envisioned. I think Cordelia Delgado is pretty spot on though.

Matt
12-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Its funny how on a few of them, the depiction was better than what I had in my minds eye.

I suppose that is a plus for the visual medium.

CyberGhostface
03-04-2008, 03:22 PM
I remember discussing this at length on TDT.net, but not here.

Rhea I don't mind as much, so I'll do it first. One of my favorite parts about Rhea was her Gollumesque detoriation at the Wizard's Glass. Its hinted here. I think the most we get is "Jonas gasps. Rhea is all but sucked away by it." or something. She does look decrepit at the end, but its far less effective. One or two scenes with Rhea at the Glass could have easily been fit in...just trim away at the splash pages of Roland tying his shoe. She's easily one of King's most loathsome characters in the book, and I'll be damned if she wasn't half as effective here.

Cordelia...I'm probably alone in saying this, but I find Susan to be a rather bland character. I didn't feel much for her at all. The few scenes in my mind that made me give a damn about her situation was the ones detailing her relationship with Cordelia. Her best scene is when she sticks up to Cordelia and says "I have been true". By removing all of that, her character is that much less effective. That, and the scene with Cordelia and Rhea is very effective in the book in that its pretty much the climax for her arc.

Having Cordelia show up for two pages with the half-assed explanation of "I don't like to dwell on someone who'd sell her niece's maidenhead" (but you do like to dwell on some Satanic creature whose voice cause babies to die, or a sadistic tyrant who plays polo with severed human heads? Riiight.)

Obviously a lot's going to be cut away when adaptating such a huge book. But these subplots could have easily fit in. Not the whole of them, but one or two scenes could have fit in. A page or two with Rhea staring in the ball and the narrator describing her growing addiction and her physical draining, and another page with Susan and Cordelia fighting.

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm sorry, where is the discussion of how Flagg is connected with them?

jhanic
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't think Flagg ever contacted Cordelia. She was just one greedy bitch. I'm not sure about Rhea. Because of the way she got the pink Rainbow (it was given to her by Jonas for safekeeping), I don't think she ever had any contact with Flagg under any of his aliases.

John

LadyHitchhiker
03-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Well I have to agree unfortunately that I though Susan was kind of bland. Ireally want to like her and she will probably grow on me... but I like my other Susan Delgado in Hungary much better. :D

Wuducynn
03-04-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't think Flagg ever contacted Cordelia. She was just one greedy bitch. I'm not sure about Rhea. Because of the way she got the pink Rainbow (it was given to her by Jonas for safekeeping), I don't think she ever had any contact with Flagg under any of his aliases.

John

Well thanks, John, I know all that...I was actually being a smart-ass towards Cyber...

CyberGhostface
03-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Contrary to popular belief, my life doesn't revolve around Flagg. Only 25% or so...

Brainslinger
03-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I agree that more concerning Rhea and Cordelia could have been included in the comic. Even though they have to cut some stuff out, they had quite a few splash pages, some even two page spreads. Much as splash pages look great, and should be included, there are times when they aren't needed and a large panoramic half page spread will suffice. There are plenty of space where they could have included a bit more.

The Man With No Name
03-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Sheemie was not what I expected. Rhea looks like an ugly puritan.

Girlystevedave
03-16-2008, 08:26 PM
I think the one that looks the worst is Alain. His face just looks weird and homely. He looks to puffy faced.

Wuducynn
03-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Which one looks the closest to how you pictured them?

Girlystevedave
03-16-2008, 08:41 PM
Probably Jonas....
Susan was pretty close too though

obscurejude
03-16-2008, 08:43 PM
I thought Cort was well done. Honestly, I wasn't very pleased with any of the other depictions. Jonas was actually quite good on second thought. I especially thought that Gilead looked pitiful. Nothing how I pictured it.

Daghain
03-16-2008, 09:07 PM
I thought Alain was spot on. Cuthbert kind of grew on me over time. I *really* hate the "whiskers" Lee insists on drawing on Roland, though.

Letti
03-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Susan was pretty close too though

It is simply incredible to me. Are you serious?

jayson
03-17-2008, 02:59 AM
I thought Cort was well done. Honestly, I wasn't very pleased with any of the other depictions. Jonas was actually quite good on second thought. I especially thought that Gilead looked pitiful. Nothing how I pictured it.

i too thought Cort matched my expectations well, as did Jonas. gilead i thought looked pretty cool actually from what we saw of it. i would like to see much much more of it.

Matt
03-17-2008, 06:31 AM
King said in that interview with NPR that he loved how Rhea looked in the comics

jayson
03-17-2008, 06:34 AM
i like comic Rhea. she's not what i expected, but i think she is def "witch-like" and certainly disgusting [which is a key trait of Rhea]

Brainslinger
03-17-2008, 08:26 AM
The Big Coffin hunters looked the best to me, pretty much spot on to how I imagined. Minor Long Road Home Spoiler When I first saw Jonas in the grapefruit scene however, I thought he looked rather feminine, rather like Rhea, (appart from the nose. Ironically with the nose he looke more like how I imagine Rhea compared to how she looks inthe comics.)

As for the others, Alain looked something like how I imagined. Cuthbert I saw rather different but I think it works, as do many of the others I saw different.

I think Sheemie just looks wrong though. For one thing, he looks a good deal younger in the comics to how I imagined. I'm pretty sure he's at least a couple of years older than Roland and co. Seeing the expressions on his face in the Long Road Home though did rectify this somewhat.

As for Roland himself, I thought the boyhood portrayal of him was pretty spot on, but the adult version in the first comic had none of the weathered 'blasted' look of his book equivalent. It's an awesome splash page though, but his face looks like that of a generic super-hero.

Marten looked pretty much how I imagined Marten. It's mentioned in the books that this persona rarely smiled, but I agree that it would have been nice to see that dark humour and grin when he was in Walter mode.

Wuducynn
03-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Rhea is up there with Sheemie in my least favorite depiction. I'm getting used to Sheemie.

UnderTheKillingMoon
06-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Roland's father, Susan, and Cort were all what I had imagined. I think they could've made Rhea a lot creepier

Archangel(tjk)
06-13-2008, 10:38 AM
I would have to say that I don't like the way Alain works he often looks a lot like the village idiot, I did l like Steven though

MonteGss
06-13-2008, 11:27 PM
Yup...Steven was depicted better than anyone, imo. Marten looked pretty good too. :) I don't like how the CK looks in the comic though...well at least in the human form.

Ruthful
06-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Cort is a little too bulky for my taste.

obscurejude
06-14-2008, 06:13 PM
I thought Susan looked a little whorish. Honestly, I haven't been pleased with any of the depictions.

MonteGss
06-14-2008, 11:06 PM
I thought Susan looked a little whorish. Honestly, I haven't been pleased with any of the depictions.

For real? Not even Steven Deschain?
He was spot on for me. :) What do you think they could have done different with him to make it better?

CyberGhostface
06-24-2008, 12:09 PM

Yeah, he's nothing like I pictured him either.

Tiffany
06-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I *really* hate the "whiskers" Lee insists on drawing on Roland, though.

I hate them, too.

Alain was farthest off for me. Cuthbert was spot-on, as was Steven Deschain. Susan isn't a bad depiction, I don't think, but I did picture her as having a sweet face as opposed to down-right supermodel hot.

Sheemie has taken some time to warm up to but as for the rest, I wasn't terribly disappointed.

Eldred was probably my favorite depiction.

The_Gunslinger
06-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Most of the characters seemed spot on for me. I would have liked to have seen the Crimson King is his human form though... =\ John Farson looked absolutely awesome. And Walter looked amazing too. I read my hardcopy constantly. :P

I agree with Matt on page 1 though. Susan's hair was way blonder than I predicted. I always saw it a deeper shade.

Matt
06-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Yep, I think they missed the boat on Susan. She should have been much more "plain cowgirl" than "blond bombshell".

Roland didn't love her for her body and looks alone

Brainslinger
06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Most of the characters seemed spot on for me. I would have liked to have seen the Crimson King is his human form though... =

You might be nicely surprised in the Long Road Home. Well maybe not... his human form doesn't look all that human... but it is certainly curious.

Babymordred121
06-24-2008, 11:45 PM
I'm still pretty pissed off at how they've portrayed Walter so far. I mean, in the books he pretty much IS Heath Ledger's Joker. In the books he's just some old dude that makes pithy plays on words here and there. I LOVED the way he looked as far as his actual design looked, with the nearly bald scalp and the white skin, but he needs to be grinning and cackling and completely deranged at all times. It was completely essential to his character.

While Crimson King looks nothing like his character in the books, I'm inclined to think that his comic incarnation is far superior. You know; he actually looks threatening.

I also LOVED Clay Reynolds. I don't know why. He just looked awesome.

Matt
06-25-2008, 08:46 AM
I think we had a long conversation about Walter and I tried to come to grips with the somber portrayal of him. Because in the books, a person really gets the impression that he is a big grinner.

But after folks analyzed the passages it seemed like there was an interpretation issue on how much the man actually was that way.

So I'm still on the fence but I don't think that the format they are going with lends itself to big smiles.

fernandito
06-25-2008, 09:07 AM

Yeah, he's nothing like I pictured him either.

+1 more.

I'm not saying that I don't like Lee's interpretation of Cort, it's just that it's nothing like what I had in mind.

Babymordred121
06-25-2008, 12:06 PM
It just annoys me that the only feature of Walter even remotely described in the books is that he grins. A lot. Like a psychopath. And that his defining feature in the comics is that he doesn't grin. Ever. Because the comic writers seem to think Walter would be more entertaining if he were as completely sane and as dead serious as every single other super villain we've ever seen before.

LadyHitchhiker
06-29-2008, 05:17 AM
None of them look like I thought they would...

MonteGss
06-29-2008, 04:50 PM
It just annoys me that the only feature of Walter even remotely described in the books is that he grins. A lot. Like a psychopath. And that his defining feature in the comics is that he doesn't grin. Ever. Because the comic writers seem to think Walter would be more entertaining if he were as completely sane and as dead serious as every single other super villain we've ever seen before.

I wish they drew him smiling more as well...though, I think they overall appearance of Walter in the comics is good. He looks good but the "feel" isn't what it should be, partly due to the lack of smiling.

Wuducynn
06-29-2008, 07:09 PM
He looks good but the "feel" isn't what it should be, partly due to the lack of smiling.

One of my biggest complaints also.

obscurejude
06-29-2008, 08:20 PM

All of the characters are depicted far too seriously, particularly Cuthbert and Walter.

Brainslinger
06-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I think that's a bit of a trademark of Jae Lee's, otherwise beautiful work. I guess we'll just have to imagine them grinning away between panels. ;)

It actually fits the Marten persona quite well (he's said to smile rarely except in spite... or some such in The Gunslinger...) but his other faces are twistedly cheerful.

I just invented a new word.

Babymordred121
07-12-2008, 12:23 AM

I wish they drew him smiling more as well...though, I think they overall appearance of Walter in the comics is good. He looks good but the "feel" isn't what it should be, partly due to the lack of smiling.

That's exactly what I mean! The character designs of Marten and Walter are amazing! It's just that they aren't doing any of their old trademark kooky stuff. However, I love that Walter/Marten starts using little plays on words when he first sees Roland in "The Long Road Home."
"But you gunslinger... You are a heavenly host of hilarity!"
That was just great.

Letti
07-12-2008, 03:50 AM
Maybe they thought that I would be strange if Walter started to smile and grin when nobody ever had done it in the comics.

Wuducynn
07-12-2008, 04:50 AM
I guess Jae Lee isn't big on portraying folk smiling. Maybe he doesn't think he is good at it.

Brainslinger
07-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Could be. I read he had difficulties drawing Susan (although I think he did a rather good job, but I think he got her clothing wrong.) He said he's quite good at drawing weird stuff, robots etc, so maybe he has a bit of trouble with human faces in general. (Not that they looked bad, mind.)

He drew a wonderful expression on Sheemie though when he was entering the dogan (not a smiley face but very poignant, and (I hate to say this being a guy) cute. I think Sheemie looks too young though.

Wuducynn
07-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Sheemie is one of the characters that shows that those involved needed to have read the books before embarking on this task. Sheemie is depicted as having lots of curly brown hair.

Daghain
07-13-2008, 09:10 AM
:thumbsup:

That drives me nuts too. If you're going to portray a character, please read about what he/she looks like first! Grrr.

stone, rose, unfound door
07-14-2008, 02:43 PM
The Crimson King. I had him pictured completely different in my head. How he acted, his physical description. All of it.

Completely agree.
I wish Bert would have been better looking too.

Brainslinger
07-14-2008, 04:37 PM
A lot of characters in the comic don't look how I imagined, (although Roland, the Big Coffin Hunters and Steven are pretty spot on) yet I can see where the artist was coming from in their designs and they still fit, mostly.

Cuthbert doesn't look at all like my mental picture, but I also know my imagination was wrong in his case. Sometimes I get a mental picture which actually doesn't match the description, but I find it difficult to shake. Because of his jokiness my mental world made him look kind of goofy too, which obviously isn't right. I think Jae Lee's version worked ok, but he shouldn't have made him so pretty. (And I've harped on about the lack of smiles earlier.)

As for Rhea, in my mind she was more a craggy stereo-type witch woman, but I can understand why they gave her a more ordinary look in the comic. That's an ok interpretation.

Basically I guess thats my long winded way of saying appearances are pretty subjective, and Jae Lee's depictions are as good as any.... with the exception of Sheemie, as I (and others) have said.

And sticking Susan in medieval style flowing robes all the time. They fit for the court ladies of Gilead, but not the horse Drover's daughter. With the possible exception when she goes to the reap fair of course, but that's one appointment she never kept. Well, ok, she did, just not in the way she thought.

stone, rose, unfound door
07-18-2008, 01:26 AM
I think Jae Lee's version worked ok, but he shouldn't have made him[Cuthbert] so pretty. (And I've harped on about the lack of smiles earlier.)

And sticking Susan in medieval style flowing robes all the time. They fit for the court ladies of Gilead, but not the horse Drover's daughter. With the possible exception when she goes to the reap fair of course, but that's one appointment she never kept. Well, ok, she did, just not in the way she thought.

Well, every time King describes Cuthbert, he says he's the best looking one. Even Susan said it after she met Roland and started having an affair with him, so Bert should definitely have been better looking in the comics too!

About Susan, it's true she's always wearing jeans or trousers in the book, but when she's trying on dresses for the Reap Fair, so that was a misreading by Jae Lee, but she's so beautiful I don't complain :)

CyberGhostface
04-20-2009, 06:56 PM
**Dark Tower Sorcerer Spoilers**

Yeah, I know--technically this is about something that happened in Sorcerer, but this thread is about Rhea, who didn't appear at all in that issue, and it's more about what her eventual role later on in the series.

So...Sorcerer reveals that Rhea wasn't even involved at all in Gabrielle's death. It was Marten's jealous incestuous sister (ick) who made it only look like Rhea did it.

To me, this undercuts her impact as a villain severely. One of the big things about the comic for me was the chance see Roland finally confront and (presumably) kill Rhea. Now that encounter will no longer be half as powerful since her biggest crime against Roland she no longer commits.

That, and the comic's really dropped the ball with her characterization. In the books, she's easily one of King's most loathsome characters. And now? Not so much.

The King of Kings
04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
It's been a while since I read the book but I never took it as it really being her in the first place, just the ball messing with him is what I assumed.

The personification of the pink ball was really well done though, awesome concept -- even if it is a little weird.

What gets me is what we learn about TMIB. About him being son of Maerlyn and him killing his parents. I wish they would have mentioned the rape.

ManOfWesternesse
04-21-2009, 12:52 AM
**Dark Tower Sorcerer Spoilers**

.....So...Sorcerer reveals that Rhea wasn't even involved at all in Gabrielle's death. It was Marten's jealous incestuous sister (ick) who made it only look like Rhea did it.....

W.T.F. ?
What a load of $%^*&~!
These comics are geting more comical by the issue.

I read the hardback compilations of the first and second arcs, and told myself to stop there and forget about them. I expect that's exactly what I'll do.

jayson
04-21-2009, 02:12 AM

Precisely. At this point, I like them solely for the artwork. The "Jonas is bad because he stepped on a piece of evil glass" bullshit was bad enough, but this is purely ridiculous. I understand the desire to use the comics to clarify some areas of the back story, but these are not clarifications, they are outright changes and many of them are rather silly.

turtlex
04-21-2009, 02:53 AM
Brian - Well, this issue won't make it into a hardcover... let me know if you want me to grab you an issue... cause it is pretty to look at. :couple:

The artwork, regardless of the other content, is outstanding. Isanove is doing a great job.

ManOfWesternesse
04-21-2009, 03:09 AM
Aw thanks Pam, but it's allright. :rose:
I never got any of the comics here (no shops locally would stock them), but I bought the 2 Hardbacks on Amazon. First one I was (reasonably) happy with - second was ok-ish in some respects but annoyed me in others. Decided not to bother with more (those hardbacks cost me about €25+ each with postage).

turtlex
04-21-2009, 03:43 AM
Well... let me know if you change your mind. It wouldn't be a problem.

Also, if you're interested... Treachery was released in hardback yesterday.

alinda
04-21-2009, 05:19 AM
I always believed that Rhea was useless. Her role in the book seemed to be contrived to mainly get rid of Susan.:orely:I never thought much about her other than I thought if they cast me in a movie of TDT I could play her role.:wtf:

Tik
04-21-2009, 05:29 AM
*Spoilers for Sorcerer and Wizard and Glass*

There is no huge contridiction here. In the novel Wizard and Glass it is clear that it was the Balls illusion that killed Gabrielle. Roland himself acknowledged that it was unlikely Rhea was around when he killed his mother:

"I doubt she was so close in her body....but she had a way of making friends, that one. Aye, a way of making friends."

The comics implication is that those friends are The Grapefruit who used Rolands hurt feelings and Rheas feelings of revenge to organise Gabrielle's death and Marten Broadcloak who retrieved the Grapefruit from Gilead.

Rheas biggest crime against Roland always was the killing of Susan.

turtlex
04-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Hey Tik - and welcome to the site!!!

Rheas biggest crime against Roland always was the killing of Susan.

Pretty freakin big crime. IMHO.

CyberGhostface
04-21-2009, 06:55 AM
There is no huge contridiction here. In the novel Wizard and Glass it is clear that it was the Balls illusion that killed Gabrielle. Roland himself acknowledged that it was unlikely Rhea was around when he killed his mother

Even if Rhea wasn't physically there, the implication was that she WAS involved in it because Roland had killed her snake earlier.

W.T.F. ?
What a load of $%^*&~!

I read the hardback compilations of the first and second arcs, and told myself to stop there and forget about them. I expect that's exactly what I'll do.

Yep. Basically, since Walter is the son of Maerlyn, ergo he's 'related' to the Pink Grapefruit. Thus, the Pink Grapefruit is depicted as some naked succubus creature making out with Marten, and he's all "My jilly...my sister..." Blech. So when she sees Marten with Gabrielle she gets all jealous. Apparently this was all Furth's idea, but King liked it.

On the bright side, it just confirms that Walter is a true pimp if he has all these women fighting over him. That's why he bitchslapped Gabrielle in the first issue--he needed to keep his pimp hand strong.

flaggwalkstheline
04-21-2009, 07:06 AM
I quit reading the comics after they said sheemy was a cyborg
they are good
but I will never believe that they are canonical

alinda
04-21-2009, 07:27 AM
My minds imagery is better with what the books showed me.(IMO)In reading these posts, I think it's best I leave it that way!:wtf:

Brainslinger
04-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Wizard and Glass and Sorcerer spoilers:

Whether it was Rhea directly or a succubus thing via the ball it seemed to very much be Rhea in that vision the ka-tet witnessed at the end of Wizard and Glass didn't it? After causing the death of Roland's mother, she addressed Roland's future ka-tet directly!

I guess it would make some sense if it was actually a demon of some kind (I haven't read Sorcerer yet) messing with them since Rhea has been dead for years, if not centuries at that point, but I figured some time-travel stuff of a sort was happening at that point. Either that or Rhea had a glimspe of the future. Either way, I think it was still Rhea on some level.

The more I'm hearing about the Sorcerer I'm feeling worried. I've ordered it now (should arrive along with the Gilead Guidebook soon this week) so I'm hoping it will make more sense in context. I'm still looking forward to them anyway.

CyberGhostface
04-30-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm glad that he's going to be back for the next arc, mainly because I thought he was an interesting character and was disappointed to see him go in Treachery before doing anything.

That being said, I found the whole "resurrection" bit hard to swallow...from what little we saw of Walter's abilities in The Gunslinger, when he resurrected Nort, the guy was little more than a zombie. With James, it seems he's in full control of all of his facilities. That, and if Walter could resurrect him, why not Gabrielle whose corpse was probably 'fresher'? He says he couldn't bring her back, but there's no reason why...

He really shouldn't have been killed off to begin with.

On a related note...the backstory presented by Furth said that John Farson killed James' parents, and Walter was pitting the two against each other. Any chance we're going to see that?

Brainslinger
04-30-2009, 11:21 AM
SPOILERS!-

I'm glad that he's going to be back for the next arc, mainly because I thought he was an interesting character and was disappointed to see him go in Treachery before doing anything.

Me too. I got the impression from one of the other books (End-World Almanac?) that he was a rather more 3 dimensional character than the 'all evil' Farson, and seeing him die so quickly in Treachery was a shame. The sorcerer fixed this somewhat.

That being said, I found the whole "resurrection" bit hard to swallow...from what little we saw of Walter's abilities in The Gunslinger, when he resurrected Nort, the guy was little more than a zombie. With James, it seems he's in full control of all of his facilities.

I quite liked seeing Walter use this ability again. As for Nort being little more than a zombie, I don't think that was due to his resurrection. That was due to his weed addiction. In fact, if anything, he was a little bit better after his resurrection, showing real humanity as he said to Allie "If he could bring me back, couldn't he have fixed the addiction too?" (That's me paraphrasing from memory.) I think he even put off the weed for a little while, although he soon fell back on old habits.

That, and if Walter could resurrect him, why not Gabrielle whose corpse was probably 'fresher'? He says he couldn't bring her back, but there's no reason why...

Yeah, I didn't understand that either. Maybe he simply meant that he chose not to, knowing it would make more aggravation with the jinni. An intersting little moment though, where Walter shows some genuine humanity (although he blood droplets had a bit of ick factor.)

On a related note...the backstory presented by Furth said that John Farson killed James' parents, and Walter was pitting the two against each other. Any chance we're going to see that?

Hopefully! I imagine she will since she mentioned it, although I imagine it depends on how much other stuff they need to cover. Lets hope they don't rush things to much.

turtlex
04-30-2009, 01:57 PM
FYI : I put a ** SPOILER ** note in this thread title so you could all write without using spoiler tags!

Aaron
05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Considering that it was never revealed what happened to Farson after the war, I would say that it is very possible that Marten manipulates James into killing him.

Wilbur
07-03-2009, 10:09 PM
they said sheemy was a cyborg

THEY SAID WHAT???????

Thank you Flagg. You just saved me some money on buying these comics. There's NO WAY I'm getting these if they're Fing up things that badly.:onfire:

turtlex
07-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Weeeeelllll, not exactly.

Honestly, if you're a fan, I do recommend everyone reading the comics ( yeah, try not to be surprised :P ) - if you don't want to collect them, trying for each variant and issue, then I suggest reading the grahphic novels which gather the issues. They're really pretty good and the art is excellent.

Wilbur
07-04-2009, 04:38 AM
I agree with you on the art. I have the "Born" graphic novel and the artwork IS beautiful. Alright turtlex, if you say it's worth it and they didn't totally rape the characters, i'll look into getting the other comic arcs.

Letti
07-04-2009, 04:41 AM
I quit reading the comics after they said sheemy was a cyborg
they are good
but I will never believe that they are canonical

Is it really true? How is it possible? I don't get it. :|

turtlex
07-04-2009, 06:22 AM
No - check here : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=392824

Sheemie came up in another thread.

Letti
07-04-2009, 08:39 PM
No - check here : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=392824

Sheemie came up in another thread.

Thank you so much. I feel much much better.

CyberGhostface
04-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Am I the only one who can't stand Aileen? Maybe it's because Furth has pretty much admitted that she's based on her, but she's struck me as a Mary Sue with Furth going out of her way to stress how awesome she is.

***SPOILERS FOR THE GUNSLINGER COMICS****

Heck, it appears that we're going to be seeing more of her in the new series as a ghost or something. Furth is just going to keep on beating us over the head with her.

In her defense, I guess I consider young Roland to be a bit of a Mary Sue as well--he only works, IMO, when he's the grizzled old gunslinger who has lost his humanity and is in the process of discovering it again.

turtlex
04-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I like the character, but not the execution of the idea. Does that make sense?

Brainslinger
04-13-2010, 08:24 AM
I like the character, but not the execution of the idea. Does that make sense?

Yes. I was just thinking the same before I read your post.

I thought it was particularly silly when she disguised herself as a boy and... nobody seemed to notice or care. Then this arc, her hair has grown again. So what was that about? (Although I suppose it's quite amusing no one cared.)

Maybe Furth had a thread idea for her then (perhaps on reading reactions or just considering other similar stories*) abandoned it.

*I loved the twist Terry Pratchett provided in Monstrous Regiment though.

Daghain
04-13-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm not a fan of Aileen either, simply for the fact that she gets like what, two pages in the book series?

Like Pam, like the character, not the execution. But, I'm a purist that way. I'm also one of those people who gets bent out of shape when movies veer to far from the books they're based on. :lol:

wizardsrainbow
04-16-2010, 06:44 PM
I kinda have the hots for Aileen. I would love to have a Jae Lee drawing of her.

Daghain
04-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Oh, I have a total girl crush on her myself, but again, the idea of character, not the execution. :D

turtlex
04-17-2010, 05:18 PM
I kinda have the hots for Aileen. I would love to have a Jae Lee drawing of her.

Oh, I have a total girl crush on her myself, but again, the idea of character, not the execution. :D

Double ditto.

:grouphug:

oy-the-brave
04-17-2010, 08:28 PM

You mean something like this :P

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/0071.JPG

Daghain
04-18-2010, 10:10 AM
That one, exactly. :D

turtlex
04-18-2010, 02:02 PM

Woot!
Woot !!

That's the one, yessiree !!!

wizardsrainbow
04-20-2010, 05:19 AM

Dave, you wascally wabbitt!

Delah
04-20-2010, 05:46 AM
I would like to like Aileen. It would be nice to see another gunslinger level worthy female before Susannah in the actual series.

Unfortunately, Aileen hits virtually every requirement of a Mary Sue and seems far too much like a Robin Furth self insertion.

1. Related to someone close to Roland? Check (Cort's niece)

2. More skilled or nearly as skilled as the main characters? Check

3. Involved romantically with more than one of the main characters? Check (Roland and Cuthbert)

4. Beautiful, sassy and refuses to adopt the conventions of a male dominated society? Check

She's just too much of a cliche for me to like her. I would have been far more interested in her character if she hadn't been transparently shoe horned into Roland's world.

CyberGhostface
04-20-2010, 12:19 PM
Said it much better than I could.

oy-the-brave
04-20-2010, 10:22 PM

Dave, you wascally wabbitt!

This was one of the pages that Jae Lee brought to our little Vegas gathering. I requested this page and the double page of the beam Guardians and a couple of others that night. I think its the best Aileen drawing (besides the cover which was way expensive).

wizardsrainbow
04-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Dave-
Ballpark, what did you pay for the Aileen?

oy-the-brave
04-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Dave-
Ballpark, what did you pay for the Aileen?

Seems like it was 500.00

turtlex
04-22-2010, 02:37 AM
Worth every penny. Congrats, Dave, it's wonderful.

I'd love an Aileen page, but just haven't found one I can afford right now. Someday, though, without a doubt. Jae really has captured her, and that panel is perfect.

wizardsrainbow
04-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Worth every penny. Congrats, Dave, it's wonderful.

I'd love an Aileen page, but just haven't found one I can afford right now. Someday, though, without a doubt. Jae really has captured her, and that panel is perfect.

Agreed! A great purchase Dave

Daghain
04-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Thirded. :thumbsup:

LadyHitchhiker
04-23-2010, 05:22 AM
I liked Aileen. I was ecstatic about a real girl gunslinger. Only time will tell though.

disel24
04-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I think that Furth has enough of the background knowledge to be a great writer to fill some of the holes in Roland's backstory, why you would want to is a different matter.

Aileen is probably the worst of best worlds. Smart, and all that but someone that's not really supposed to have that much of a push because there aren't supposed to be female gunslingers. Susannah is supposed to be the first woman to wear the big iron.

So I can only hope that while she's an interesting character, history isn't rewritten for her.