PDA

View Full Version : BTVSAT - Round 1: 1990s (Bracket 3)

mae
11-12-2010, 05:41 AM
Dawson's Creek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawson%27s_Creek)
vs.
Buffy the Vampire Slayer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_%28TV_series%29)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLLrr8zvUbw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_6ZkjVs3w

Jean
11-12-2010, 06:03 AM
yet again, haven't seen either, although am definitely going to watch Buffy: everyone says I should

RainInSpain
11-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Buffy

Erin
11-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Dawson's Creek! Woot! (I'm probably the only person who loves this show).

As for Buffy, I watched the 1st season and could not get into it. It was so cheesy. But everyone says it gets better after the 1st season, so who knows. Maybe I'll watch it someday.

pathoftheturtle
11-12-2010, 08:28 AM
...could not get into it. It was so cheesy...I feel the same way... about both of these shows. I didn't expect to be voting for Buffy, but what do you know?!

Erin
11-12-2010, 08:37 AM
:lol: Oh yeah, Dawson's Creek is cheesy too. I think the difference for me lies in the fact that I was in middle/early high school when Dawson's Creek came out, so I got really into the show and into the "teen drama" because I was the same age. Now it's nostaligic for me.

candy
11-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Buffy The Vampire Slayer!!!

And with this crowd i am expecting a full on victory

RainInSpain
11-12-2010, 10:12 AM
Yep, nostalgia factor is definitely a strong one.
I absolutely could not associate with "Dawson's" characters - most likely because by its time I was married and past high school (and even past university), so not much place for teen drama in my life :lol:
For that matter, I did not exactly associate with "Buffy" either - so I had to vote for it as a "lesser evil".

alkanto
11-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Buffy, by a landslide.

I actually watched both of these shows quite regularly, but Buffy is the one I still watch. When I go on fall break next week, a friend and I are actually planning a Buffy Marathon...between both of us, we have all 7 seasons.

fernandito
11-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Didn't watch / don't care for either ; didn't vote.

candy
11-12-2010, 10:39 AM

You never watched Buffy?:beat:

I am shocked to my very core!! shocked i say:scared:

DoctorDodge
11-12-2010, 12:40 PM

You never watched Buffy?:beat:

I am shocked to my very core!! shocked i say:scared:

What do you expect? Despite plenty of recommendations (and not just from me or alkanto, I might add), the guy's still not watched a single ep of Who, either!

Oh, and I voted for Buffy, of course. Monsters, good drama, and a great sense of wit. Nothing better!

Brice
11-12-2010, 12:49 PM
buffy, of course

Mattrick
11-12-2010, 01:41 PM
I said Dawson' Creek. Buffy is one of the most popular worst shows ever and made Joss Whedon seem like he can actually offer something to anyone.

Emily
11-12-2010, 01:44 PM

This.

Erin
11-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I said Dawson' Creek.

Yay! :couple:

kluker
11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
I vote Buffy just cause she kicked ass and Joey and Pacey kinda upset me with all their running around.

pathoftheturtle
11-13-2010, 10:38 AM
I said Dawson' Creek. Buffy is one of the most popular worst shows ever and made Joss Whedon seem like he can actually offer something to anyone.Like he can offer anything to someone, you mean?

Mattrick
11-14-2010, 01:58 AM
Just because people watch something doesn't mean its good. Like I love professional wrestling and I'll be the first to admit it's pure trash. I used to watch Buffy, first couple of seasons. Then I realized how bad it was. To each their own, of course. I just have very high standards when it comes to television, wrestling aside. I can understand how Buffy has a loyal fanbase and even firefly but Whedon hasn't proved to me he is anything special and I've seen most of his work.

Darkthoughts
11-14-2010, 03:49 AM
It depends how far with Buffy you get. He started off being purposely cheesy and I thought, for the type of comedy style he was aiming for, he executed it very well. Buffy got slightly more serious and darker as the seasons progressed and it's watchability never waned.

Dawson's Crack annoyed the shit out of me. I was forced to watch it because my sister's loved it, it's probably why I left home :lol:

pathoftheturtle
11-14-2010, 11:28 AM
... I just have very high standards when it comes to television...My standards for TV are much lower than for other media. But you might be a bit more spoiled... grew up after cable, right?

mae
11-14-2010, 12:45 PM
By the way, if anyone's wondering (and it doesn't look like anyone is, but what the hey), the reason the Buffy clip looks mirrored (backwards lettering) is so that copyright-holders don't take down the clip off Youtube (I guess they use some sort of image-detecting software and this throws them). It's kinda weird watching it, but it's one of the better clips of a Buffy episode.

pathoftheturtle
11-14-2010, 01:45 PM
pablo... :rolleyes: Haven't you ever heard of "plausible deniability"?

mae
11-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Sure I have. But what do you mean exactly? :unsure:

turtlex
11-15-2010, 10:35 AM
BUFFY !!

Which would be my pick to win this whole tourney.

Jean
11-15-2010, 10:52 AM
I think I'll be watching it as soon as I'm through with TTZ

when does this poll close?

mae
11-15-2010, 10:56 AM
when does this poll close?

Friday. It should say in the poll itself.

Jean
11-15-2010, 10:59 AM
yes, it does, I see it now. Bears are so hopeless, visually, that they should be told where to look.

turtlex
11-15-2010, 11:11 AM
Jean - Are you starting at the beginning of the series?

Jean
11-15-2010, 12:58 PM
yes, have watched about one third of the first season since last night

sarah
11-15-2010, 01:33 PM
BUFFY !!

Which would be my pick to win this whole tourney.

exactly! The Buffster FTMFW

pathoftheturtle
11-16-2010, 10:37 AM
By the way, if anyone's wondering (and it doesn't look like anyone is, but what the hey), the reason the Buffy clip looks mirrored (backwards lettering) is so that copyright-holders don't take down the clip off Youtube (I guess they use some sort of image-detecting software and this throws them). It's kinda weird watching it, but it's one of the better clips of a Buffy episode.pablo... :rolleyes: Haven't you ever heard of "plausible deniability"?Sure I have. But what do you mean exactly? :unsure:jk. As if Whedon has secret agents tracking you. ha-ha
BUFFY !!

Which would be my pick to win this whole tourney.OMG, I was totally developing a lot of respect for your knowledge of television, but I think that's just gone right out the window. Are you serious? Buffy?!

:nope:

mae
11-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Buffy best of all time? :panic:

turtlex
11-17-2010, 06:02 AM
I am, absolutely, 100%, without a doubt serious ... Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Yup. To me, probably the best show of all time. The writing is some of the best on television, ever and the fact that it could be what it was ( a show about a vampire slayer ) and still also be a show that captured the complexity and angst and nuance of being a high school/college student, etc. It was just amazing. Don't even get me started on the musical episode ( Once More With Feeling ... which, besides being so incredibly enchanting and fun ... moved the series forward with it's character development and plot reveals ).

Jean - I asked what episodes you were watching because my favorite episodes, if I had to pick them, come later in the series. Not the the beginning episodes aren't good... but Joss build on the characters and the storylines in such a way that you truly becoming involved and dedicated to the characters as time passes.

Jean
11-17-2010, 08:57 AM
oops, sorry, I posted in the wrong thread. I meant, I started watching the Twilight Zone, not Buffy. I will get to Buffy later; I don't think it is going to be too late, because it seems she is the favorite of the race.

pathoftheturtle
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM
...Don't even get me started on the musical episode ( Once More With Feeling ... which, besides being so incredibly enchanting and fun ... moved the series forward with it's character development and plot reveals )...I'm glad you mentioned that, because I must admit that I haven't seen every single episode of the series, but this example I'm certainly familiar enough with to give it a confident :P.

turtlex
11-17-2010, 11:09 AM
Unless you followed Buffy, and the HUGE events leading up Once More With Feeling .... then you would completely and utterly miss the emotional impact of the final scenes. Of the songs and the meaning behind them .... pssst - they weren't just cool rhyming words. Every single song moved the story, the characters, and the series forward.

There was no pain, no fear no doubt,
'Til they pulled me out of Heaven.

So that's my refrain.
I live in Hell, 'cause I've been expelled from Heaven.
I think I was in Heaven.

mae
11-19-2010, 06:04 AM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is moving on to Round 2, having received 24 votes (82.76%).

John Blaze
11-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Fuck yeah. I don't know if anyone nominated Angel or not, but the perfect final would be Buffy Vs. Angel to me. :D

mae
11-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Angel is indeed nominated and will be up for voting later in Round 1 :)

turtlex
11-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Buffy moves on. Thank you!