PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Dollar Babies

Randall Flagg
10-08-2007, 06:39 AM
King has optioned off limited movie rights for many of his short stories for $1 or $2-sually to unknown/new directors.
Here is Livraisons Matinales (http://www.stephenkingshortmovies.com/goto.php?movies/livraisons_matinales.php) (Morning Deliveries) from Skeleton Crew

Matt
10-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Wow! Something like that would be cool to own. Making the movie even cooler

Storyslinger
10-08-2007, 07:00 AM
Yeah it would

Spencer
10-09-2007, 07:18 AM
I had the priveledge of seeing "All that you love will be carried away" and I thought it was very well done.

Brice
10-09-2007, 08:49 AM
Sadly, most of these were pulled off Stephen King Short Movies and are now unavailable for download at SK's request. Luckily before that happened I got several of them downloaded to my laptop. :D

Asterisco
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Last year we had a festival in Mar del Plata city, in Argentina. Julie Sands, the actress and producer of Stephen King's Gotham Cafe attended to it. We could meet her, and it was a really nice experience. She's nice. Also, that short movie is great!

Randall Flagg
12-12-2007, 06:47 AM
According to Liljas Library, Stephen Parkhurst is making a Dollar Baby based on Night Surf.
Plot:
A group of people are survivors of "A6" more commonly known as the Captain Tripps flu. They live on the beach near Portland, and are slowly dying.

Pics (http://www.stephenkingshortmovies.com/goto.php?movies/night_surf3.php)

SKSM
12-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Always happy that some people visits my website ;)

Brice
12-12-2007, 09:56 AM
I do! It's a great site. :) Glad to see you here.

Matt
12-12-2007, 10:06 AM

I just sent you a PM about it, we would love to get in the business. :rock:

Randall Flagg
12-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Welcome StephenKIngShortMovies.

Bev Vincent
12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Working on one of these (Stephen King's Gotham Cafe) was a blast. I just wished I could have been on the set during filming. Getting dailies and photos wasn't quite the same as being there.

SKSM
12-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Bev, when are you going to work on another db? :)

Matt
12-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Ooops--just figured out no videos

I was going to have a great time looking at them though. :lol:

SKSM
12-12-2007, 02:40 PM
There are some db's available but not hosted from my website. More like ifilm, youtube, p2p. Hope that will help.

Matt
12-12-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks SKSM, I really appreciate that. The site looks really well done.

Congratulations on it.

Bev Vincent
12-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Bev, when are you going to work on another db? :)

I'll move up to feature films next!

I was asked to work on the script of GC. I don't really have the resources to make a movie on my own. I'd be willing to script another one if someone was interested.

herbertwest
12-13-2007, 04:28 AM
GC = ?

You'll may be able to do soon!
With the strike of the screenwriters....

Brice
12-13-2007, 05:46 AM
GC = ?

Gotham Cafe

SKSM
12-13-2007, 03:06 PM
@Jeremy, one of my favorite visitors of SKSM.com and don't know that GC is :(

@Bev, I have wrote a few times now to King's office to make my own Dollar Baby because i have the resources now, but i'm still waiting for a answer.
(no I'm not going public with the title, yet)

Matt
12-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Should be very cool, I would love to link it here if you get the permission.

SKSM
12-24-2007, 02:31 AM
http://www.stephenkingshortmovies.com/merry-christmas_happy_newyear.jpg

Matt
12-24-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks SKSM, that's a cool graphic.

SKSM
12-28-2007, 10:52 AM
@Bev, I have wrote a few times now to King's office to make my own Dollar Baby because i have the resources now, but i'm still waiting for a answer.
(no I'm not going public with the title, yet)

I got a answer back from King's office and I didn't get the permission for "The Other Side of the Fog"!

So now i'm going to find another story... some one ideas?

herbertwest
12-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Wouldnt it be better to propose an already written screenwriting?

Any idea? I'd like to see one which is until now not planned or done.. Means, not something like the 59th version of All That You Love Will Be Carried Away...

Some stories that i'd love to see in (short) movies :
- the reaper's image
- beachworld (expensive & hard to do i guess)
- survivor type (hmmm... tasty!)
- I am a doorway
- the jaunt
- the ballad of the flexible bullet

(ok, i should stop my list now...)

John Blaze
01-27-2008, 07:19 PM
the raft? that'd be cool.

Bev Vincent
01-28-2008, 06:53 AM
The Raft has already been done in Creepshow 2, so it isn't available.

Randall Flagg
01-28-2008, 07:18 AM
Paranoid-a Chant

YouTube - Paranoid: A Chant

Ari_Racing
02-05-2008, 05:30 AM
Hello.

I'd like to introduce Jeven Dovey. He's the man behind the upcomming dollar baby "CAIN ROSE UP", currently in pre-production. If he manages to raise the funds the production will start this month.
Give him a good welcome!

Nice project, by the way! No adaptations of this short stories have been made before!

Brice
02-05-2008, 05:32 AM
Hello.

I'd like to introduce Jeven Dovey. He's the man behind the upcomming dollar baby "CAIN ROSE UP", currently in pre-production. If he manages to raise the funds the production will start this month.
Give him a good welcome!

Nice project, by the way! No adaptations of this short stories have been made before!

...and I assume since you're welcoming him he's joined the site???

Jdovey
02-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey everyone,

It has been really crazy trying to put everything together. I finally have a finished script and am looking into funding and casting. Right now there is prospects of Bret Harrison, from Reaper, to play my lead. However I might need to push back production because he is swamped with other shows.

Right now I'm trying to find ways to raise funds. If anyone has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated. Its hard because I am going to school and finishing three films right now. Hopefully by the end of February I will have everything done and can focus on Cain Rose Up.

Mattrick
02-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Just bought Skeleton Crew and this story is after The Monkey. How long is this going to be? Isn't it only about 12 pages long?

Jdovey
02-05-2008, 07:22 PM
It's probably going to be a 15 to 20 minute film.

Matt
02-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey everyone,

It has been really crazy trying to put everything together. I finally have a finished script and am looking into funding and casting. Right now there is prospects of Bret Harrison, from Reaper, to play my lead. However I might need to push back production because he is swamped with other shows.

Right now I'm trying to find ways to raise funds. If anyone has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated. Its hard because I am going to school and finishing three films right now. Hopefully by the end of February I will have everything done and can focus on Cain Rose Up.

Hey Jdovey, welcome to the site. Great to meet you.

I hope the project comes together, this is something I would like to see. Let me know if there is anything this site can do to help. :thumbsup:

Jdovey
02-19-2008, 04:14 PM
The big thing is finding ways to raise money for the film. So if people have ideas on how to raise money that would be the biggest help right now.

Aaron
02-20-2008, 08:45 AM
I am going to go ahead and merge this with the existing Dollar Baby thread, since we are not focusing on Dollar Baby films at this time for this catalog. Once we have the catalog up, running, and wikified we will then begin the process of creating articles for DBs. I'll leave a two-day redirect so that people know where the thread has gone. :)

DarkHarvest
04-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Hello Fellow King Fans! My name is Robert Kreh, and I am an Indie Film maker currently residing in Tampa Florida.
I recently received permission from Mr. King to adapt his short story Cain Rose Up from his collection Skeleton Crew. Under the dollar baby deal, I am unable to seek traditional investment as this is a non-profit project. So I am here to ask for your help in making this a reality! Every dollar counts as I am trying to raise quite a bit of cash, but there are oppurtunities for those who donate to receive screen credit, and become part of Stephen King Dollar Baby history.

For more info, or to just check out the teaser trailer, cehck out the new site dedicated to the project:

www.cainrising.com

I appreciate all of your support, and I am dedicated to producing a short film that is faithful to Mr. Kings work.

-Robert Kreh
www.robfilms.blogspot.com

DarkHarvest
04-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Hey Everyone, I only need to raise $3000 more to make this a reality! If I can manage to raise this amount, Then I could be shooting by next fall/winter!

www.cainrising.com

Donate a little, donate alot, donate whatever you can! I greatly appreciate the support, every dollar counts, and the genorosity of those who have donated already. LET'S MAKE THIS A REALITY!

Darkthoughts
04-08-2008, 01:37 PM
DarkHarvest - are you and Jdovey the same person?

MonteGss
04-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Isn't it against site rules to be signed up with two different names?
Maybe I imagined this....:unsure:

Matt
04-09-2008, 04:11 AM
It is indeed :cool:

But the automated systems has not tagged this instance as such.

DarkHarvest
04-09-2008, 04:53 AM
Isn't it against site rules to be signed up with two different names?
Maybe I imagined this....:unsure:

First let me clear up that Jeven Dovey and I are not the same people. We both are making adaptations of the same story (yeah confusing I am sure), and I didn't even realize until now that he had previously posted here (Sorry Jeven... didn't mean to infringe on your territory)...

And that brings me to my next topic. It has been brought to my attention my the administration of the site that many members do not appreciate my "solicitation" of this forum, so I just wanted to respond by saying the same thing I told them:

"I apologize, it appears I over stayed my welcome. I did not mean to be a nuisance, but as a indie film maker, I have learned to promote myself any and every way possible.

I am sure you can imagine how tough it is to fund a non-profit film, as I cannot seek investments or other avenues of funding other than donations. And with the understandable hesitance of people to donate. I am just trying to make the best damn dollar baby I can, with as little as possible.

Thanks to all of you for your patience, and this really is a great site you have going"

Robert Kreh
www.robfilms.blogspot.com
www.cainrising.com:unsure:

DanishCollector
04-09-2008, 06:11 AM
I saw on stephenkingshortmovies.com about the two upcoming versions of the same story, so I can attest Jeven and Robert are not the same person.

It isn't the first time, nor the last, that the same story will be optioned as a dollar-baby. There's also two versions of Night Surf being done, and think of all the versions of All That You Love Will Be Carried Away that has been done.

Kreh, I can't help with the donation, but I've read about you (Googled you
that is) and am looking forward to your project, and I hope it will all succeed.

DarkHarvest
04-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks DanishCollector, I appreciate your support amd kind words. Add me on myspace and You will be one of the first to know as this thing progresses.

www.myspace.com/robfilms

Bev Vincent
11-22-2008, 11:30 AM
The director of In the Deathroom sent me some pictures from the set, which can be seen at my message board (http://www.bevvincent.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1223829963/2#2)

Matt
11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
:ninja:

Cool set pic Bev, thanks for linking those. :rock:

Stockerlone
08-31-2010, 11:13 AM
"Rest Stop" Dollarbaby aus Deutschland | Werde Teil davon!
German Dollarbaby - be a part of it....

First point, i have nothing to do with this, but i think it sounds interesting.

First the German original message, then the short translation:

Hallo zusammen.

Dank des Kingforums und einiger befreundeter Webseiten sind wir, Filmstudenten aus Potsdam-Babelsberg, auf die Idee gekommen, den ersten deutschen Stephen King Film zu machen. In Form eines Dollar-Babies. Danke erstmal an dieses Forum und die aktiven Mitglieder.

Als Grundlage haben wir uns "Rest Stop" ausgesucht und werden diesen Film Anfang September in Brandenburg drehen.
Wir versuchen aus der Geschichte eine wirklich spannende Version mit einem guten Ende zu machen.
Wir hoffen, dass uns das gelingen wird.

Da wir schon das Bedürfnis haben, einen repräsentativen und beeindruckenden Film zu machen, den SK am Ende auch zu sehen bekommt, sind wir auf der Suche nach einigen Fans, die uns im kleinen Stile unterstützen wollen und können.

Es klingt ein wenig absurd und ich hoffe, hier nicht auf Unmut zu stoßen.
Aber wie ihr euch vorstellen könnt, haben Filmstudenten nicht wirklich viel Geld zur Verfügung, um solche Projekte zu realisieren. Und da wir unseren Film komplett bei Nacht und mit beeindruckenden Bildern ausstatten wollen, treten wir an euch heran.

Wir wollen jedes Mitglied im Stephen King Forum aufrufen, 1€ zu spenden.

Wozu das Ganze?
Es soll eine Szene geben, die nicht den Rastplatz, sondern die Tankstelle, an der wir drehen werden, etabliert.
Hier wird unser Schriftsteller auf die Personen aus der Toilette treffen.

Auf der gesamten Tankstelle wollen wir einen speziellen Kamerawagen, einen so genannten Dolly, einsetzen, der besonders spannende und fesselnde Bilder realisieren wird.
Leider kostet dieser Dolly knapp 600€ für den Drehzeitraum.

Jetzt dachten wir uns, dass wir einen offiziellen Aufruf im Forum starten, dass jedes Mitglied 1€ spendet, um diese Szene zu realisieren.

Als Dank planen wir jedes Mitglied, dass sich an der Aktion beteiligt hat, namentlich im Abspann zu nennen und somit mit minimalen Einsatz Teil des Films wird.
Außerdem würde wir euch namentlich auf unserer kommenden Webseite zum Film nennen.

Wäre es nicht toll, wenn ihr als Stephen King Fans in einem Film auftaucht und mit realisiert habt, der
a) ein guter deutscher Dollar-Baby wird (zumindest erhoffen wir uns das)
b) vom Meister persönlich auch noch gesehen wird?

Das klingt absurd. Ich weiß. Aber wenn nur ein Viertel der in diesem Forum angemeldeten Mitglieder eine 1€ Spende tätigt, können wir es schaffen.

Wer sich auf diese Sache einlassen möchte, der schreibt mir doch bitte eine persönliche Nachricht. Ich würde euch dann die Projektmappe zukommen lassen, damit ihr euch einen Eindruck unseres Films machen könnt.

Da wir bereits am 10. September 2010 anfangen zu drehen, läuft diese Aktion bis zum 9. September 2010 um 21:00.

Ich hoffe auf euer reges Interesse und bin bei Fragen und Anmerkungen immer offen für Alles.

Beste Grüße aus Berlin,

Paul

Über höhere Spenden freuen wir uns natürlich auch immer wieder gerne.

Short translation
German Babelsberg Film Studio Students start to produce
Germany´s first Stephen King Dollar Baby. ´RESTSTOP´
Production start: 09.09.10
But they need for the rent of a DOLLY a little bit MORE money.
They say: Who can spend 1 euro or more ;-) on our account till 08.09.10
every persons name comes to the closing credits of the movie and on the upcoming webpage.

Bank datas:

Paul Andexel
Kto-Nr: 427148200
BLZ: 20041155
bei Comdirect
DollarBaby "RestStop"

When you spend money pls sent to this mail add a mail with your datas:
paul@paulandexel.com

From this page, everybody can load down the production-map datas:
http://www.impressionsfabrik.de/Impressionsfabrik/RestStop___nach_einer_Kurzgeschichte_von_Stephen_K ing.html

For questions: paul@paulandexel.com

Randall Flagg
08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
This is either a ripoff, or a great idea-perhaps both.
A sucker is born every day.
What the heck, I sent 2 Euros.

jhanic
08-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Shouldn't this be moved up into The Oracle?

John

Randall Flagg
08-31-2010, 01:32 PM

John
I think so, but worry that if it's a fraud, members might see us as endorsing the venture.
I'll send it up and label it as a 'Caution'.

It also adds a small bit of serendipity to Calvin's Corner. :dance:

Brice
08-31-2010, 02:40 PM

John
I think so, but worry that if it's a fraud, members might see us as endorsing the venture.

We could always have a thread there and here temporarily...if you like.

Brice
08-31-2010, 02:41 PM

John

We could always have a thread there and here temporarily...if you like.

I will send a couple Euros, but it kinda' sucks that most of us will probably never get to see it. King should arrange to do a boxed DVD/BluRay set of ALL of the dollar babies.

Stockerlone
09-01-2010, 01:03 AM
More infos about the ´producer, his movies and the company´.
Some other movies, videoclips .... he produced.

http://www.crew-united.com/index.asp?show=memberdetail&ID=51031

http://www.crew-united.com/index.asp?show=memberdetail&ID=96246

http://www.topper3.de/blog/

http://www.xing.com/profile/Paul_Andexel

http:
//www.crew-united.com/index.asp?show=memberdetail&ID=96246 (http://www.crew-united.com/index.asp?show=memberdetail&ID=96246)

Stockerlone
09-11-2010, 10:37 AM
German Dollar Baby Rest Stop - First day of shooting

Stephen King cares for night closure of an public street

http://www.lr-online.de/regionen/elsterwerda/Stephen-King-sorgt-fuer-naechtliche-Strassensperrung;art1059,3028763

Short translation:
30 Movie Students from the Hochschule für Film und Fernsehen Babelsberg starting the first Stephen King Dollar Baby Movie in Bad Liebenwerda. Main shooting location is an
gas station. Two nights, an highway/country road will be closed. The filmcrew becomes support from several local company´s and the fire department.
The shortfilm will be showed at the Berlinale 2011 film festival.

Stockerlone
09-16-2010, 05:39 AM
German Dollar Baby Rest Stop - News and Pics.

http://www.lr-online.de/mediacenter/bilder/bilddetail/cme146049,1764033.html?SORT=PRIO

http://www.n2day.com/do/detail/artikel/20600386?URL=http%3A//www.lr-online.de/3033789&LIST=

http://www.lr-online.de/regionen/elsterwerda/Bad-Liebenwerda-ist-Drehort-fuer-einen-Gruselfilm-nach-Stephen-King;art1059,3033320

killerspots
09-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Hey guys,

thanks for this post here.
I am the producer of the german "Dollar Baby", based on "Rest Stop".
Yes, it is true, that we are going to do a movie.
Okay, we already have shot it last week and begin the postproduction of it pretty soon.

The donation idea came, while we were trying to finance our movie in order to realise it.

If there are still any people out there, interested in donating anything, please feel free to do so, since there are still some costs to come up in the further production.

I can promise, we will have a pretty nice movie, and we are trying everything in our power to show you the movie as soon as possible.

Best from Germany,

Paul

Randall Flagg
09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
I sent 2 Euros a while back, but it was unclaimed. You sent a different Paypal address-memyselfandi@paulandexel.com

Hope that works.

killerspots
09-29-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi Randall,

thank you for your donation. I received it.

A very popular german online magazin, called "Spiegel Online" released an article about our movie today:
http://www.spiegel.de/unispiegel/jobundberuf/0,1518,718901,00.html

For the ones of you, being able to understand german: Enjoy reading.
For all others: I hope you will get the trustworth of it, that we are no fakes, but really doing a "Dollar Baby".

Please feel free to contact me for further questions.

Best from Germany,
Paul

Stockerlone
09-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Stephen King- Horror that comes from the University
News and pics from "Rest Stop" on Spiegel.de, one of Germanys biggest Newspapers.

http://www.spiegel.de/unispiegel/jobundberuf/0,1518,718901,00.html

SKSM
10-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Loving it :) is the spoken language deutsch or english from Rest Stop?
Who knows it will be finished for the Dollar Baby Film Festival in Australia in January 2011 :panic:

Randall Flagg
12-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Update please.

Stockerlone
12-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Have found this:

On the ´Presse Box´ button it´s possible to download
high def. movie stills, produktion map, pics from the movie......

http://www.feko.net/feko.net/Filme_Details_RestStop.html

killerspots
01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
hi together,

didn't respond for a while. We are still working on our Dollar Baby "RestStop" and thinking of a new title for the movie.

We have shot in german and will finish the movie in german language, but will be subtitling the movie for international festivals.

I can promise it will be a visually impressive movie and we hope that we will get it done my summer 2011, so we can start a world wide festival tour.

As soon as we have some more to show and tell, we will let you know.

Best from Germany.

And If someone is able to move it out of the "Caution, Unverified" section, I would be happy.

Stockerlone
03-11-2011, 10:37 AM
UPDATE...

Today - night between 11/12.03.2011 00.10 the first movie parts from German DollarBaby ´REST STOP will be showed at ARTE, the German/France TV Station in the magazin show “KurzSchluss” !!!!!

http://www.arte.tv/de/film/Kurzschluss/KurzSchluss-_23520/3761882.html

Randall Flagg
03-11-2011, 11:04 AM
If only I spoke Deutsch.

Stockerlone
03-11-2011, 11:08 AM
If only I spoke Deutsch.

At ARTE TV you can chose between france and german language:dance:

Randall Flagg
03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
If only I spoke Deutsch.

At ARTE TV you can chose between france and german language:dance:
If only I spoke French.

Ari_Racing
03-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Someone record it :)

Stockerlone
03-12-2011, 02:22 AM
The Dollar Baby RestStop movie parts on ARTE TV..... short but nice.
There was also a small interview......

Some pics from the Movie:
http://www.facebook.com/hff.RestStop?sk=photos (http://www.facebook.com/hff.RestStop?sk=photos)

killerspots
03-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Dear friends,

I just wanted to share some news with you on our Dollar Baby "RestStop".
We are currently working hard on shooting some detail shots for our movie. We will probably shot on May in Berlin and surroundings.

As well we will shoot some impressive car moving shots to enter the movie visually stunning and reference to another Stephen King movie, quite popular.

Meanwhile, we are hard working on the Visual Effects, to enhance the atmosphere even more.

As well, we have found a great title for the movie and looking forward to share it with you, when we will release a first teaser-trailer.

So stay tuned up. We are looking forward to it.

Stockerlone
05-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Some news:

The name of the first German dollar baby is no longer REST STOP... it´s now ::: “You missed Sonja”
Only some extra ´stunt´ shootings for the movie.
Movie will be finished fall 2011 and then presented on international festivals.

http://www.moviepilot.de/news/deutscher-stephen-king-horror-aus-moviepilot-haenden-110696

DanishCollector
05-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Hm, so you added a Sonja to the story? Or is it the name you gave the woman being beaten at the rest stop? And I'm not sure what's to be understood by "missed"? Sounds like a different story than King's Rest Stop.

killerspots
06-04-2011, 03:40 AM
Our movie is now called "You missed Sonja", not "RestStop" anymore. It is due to the existence of a horrormovie called "RestStop", so we were looking for a new title and believe, that this title will catch the idea of our interpretation of the story.

The movie is still based on the short story, but we added some additional parts and turning points into it. We believe that it will really kick and bring the original story further. Stay tuned. Next shooting begins on June 16th in Berlin.

Ari_Racing
06-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Good luck! :) Show pics and details here!

mae
09-01-2011, 07:25 AM
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/46893/adaptation-stephen-kings-911-tale-things-they-left-behind-making-film-festival-rounds

Although I don't have the exact numbers right in front of me, I would be willing to lay a considerable wager that Stephen King has had more horror stories adapted to film than any other author. That seems like a safe bet. And now, through King's "Dollar Baby" program, director Pablo Macho Maysonet IV has added the September 11th thriller The Things They Left Behind to the list of King tales to make the big screen.

Through "Dollar Baby," selected filmmakers are granted the right to create a film from a Stephen King story for $1, allowing up-and-comers an opportunity to work with the legendary author's material.

The Things They Left Behind tells the chilling tale of a September 11th survivor who is being haunted by those from his past lost to the disaster. It is a powerful reminder of the day, especially as we reflect on the date during the 10th anniversary.

Currently only accessible at select film festivals, you can get a look at the trailer for The Things They Left Behind below. Read on for more info.

From the Press Release
In 2008 great American author Stephen King released Just After Sunset, a novel featuring a collection of short stories. One story, "The Things They Left Behind", is King's approach to the tragedy that struck NYC on 9/11. Almost a year after 9/11, strange things start happening to the main character, Scott Staley, who, at the time of the attacks, is employed at 'Light and Bell Insurance' on the 110th floor of the World Trade Center. Not only is Scott unable to get rid of his survivor's guilt, but things belonging to his late colleagues start to appear in his apartment.

After a run of bi-monthly short films on their YouTube channel, independent filmmaker Pablo Macho Maysonet IV and his Shattered Dreams Productions (SDP) sought out to obtain permission to produce a non-profit short film based on a story written by Stephen King through King's "Dollar Baby" program (in which King will allow a filmmaker to adapt his story for $1). This program was originally started when Frank Darabont, director of King's feature adaptations of The Shawshank Redemption, The Mist and The Green Mile, produced the short film adaptation to The Women in the Room in 1983. This would pave the way for other qualifying up-and-coming filmmakers to produce short film adaptations of King's work.

In late 2010, after signing a non-profit agreement with Stephen King, Maysonet was allowed to produce the emotionally charged adaptation of "The Things They Left Behind".

Production began in December of 2010 on a budget of $10,000 and included shooting in Times Square as well as various locations mentioned in the book. After completion, the film was immediately sent out to over 30 film festivals around the world including Sundance 2012. The Things They Left Behind is quickly stirring up attention around the world with festival screenings in Spain, Argentina and the Netherlands.

At the moment this short film can only be seen at select film festivals, but to view the behind-the-scenes making-of The Things They Left Behind, go to SDP's YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/sdphorror), and to follow up-to-date information regarding the film, check out the Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Things-They-Left-Behind/103134979726380).

http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news/aug11/tlb.jpg

Ari_Racing
09-01-2011, 04:07 PM
An excellent adaptation of this story. I really enjoyed it a lot.

Stockerlone
09-14-2011, 09:33 AM
The new homepage from ´YOU MISSED SONJA´

http://www.youmissedsonja.com/

on: Abspann..... credits....... you can see all the people who have spend some money...
.....Horst Dieter Annecke • Frank-Erik Junge • Jerome Smith | Randall Flagg - TheDarkTower.com • Klaus Spangenmacher • ......

On PRESSE - Presse Box it´s possible to download a lot of new highdef. pics.

On the facebook page are several new pics:
http://www.facebook.com/hff.RestStop?sk=photos

killerspots
09-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Dear english-speaking friends,

I know it takes us some time to bring this baby to an end, but its worth it. Trust me.

To shorten the time to release in (hopefully) spring 2012, we have updated our website www.youmissedsonja.com and made it accessable in english for our english-speaking fans and friends.

So come around and take a look at what we have done and what all this is about (okay, we won't tell you the actual film and the behind-the-sonja-thing), but it is still worth it.

Best from Germany,

Paul

Stockerlone
12-25-2011, 03:37 AM
Just become a nice mail from the ´crators´ of ´You missed Sonja´

fast translation:

amazing how fast time flies. 2011 has really only just begun, but we are celebrating
Christmas again.
2011 was for us at the film school is a very exciting, thrilling and our oh-so-hot
beloved Stephen King movie "You missed Sonja" enjoyed the year.
And the best Christmas present you've already made ​​us in the spring.

Just before Christmas, and also the completion of the film we wanted to thank you for your
Support of our film and hope that you will like it if we then in Spring of 2012 have finally finished him
and present him on world's festivals.

On our official website www.youmissedsonja.com and the Facebook page www.facebook.com / hff.reststop
you can find news and steadily now and then glimpses into the final film. Visit us !
And I think that especially the February could keep some small surprises ;)

We wish you a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year 2012 and love to have you in
Cinema to see.

bb
Paul & Félix
(Produktion & Regie)

killerspots
12-25-2011, 04:54 AM
Hi there,
thanks for being so fast, stockerlone.
We wish you a Merry Christmas and hope to see you in the movies 2012. We are about to finish the movie for spring 2012. Currently, we are working on a short but thrilling trailer of our movie, which we are trying to get passed Mr.Kings' permission. So we hope to be able to present a trailer in February to you. Till then, take care and we wish you some peaceful hours.
Best from Germany,
Paul

Stockerlone
01-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Stephen King Dollarbaby You Missed Sonja
NEWS:
Offizielle Premiere of the You Missed Sonja Trailers at the Berlinale reception of Film Schools.

Ari_Racing
01-24-2012, 06:04 AM
Cool :)

I Really would like to watch this movie. I'll probably organize another Dollar Baby Film Festival this year, so who knows. :)

Stockerlone
06-12-2012, 10:13 AM
NOW, the official Movie trailer is ONLINE !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyNuH_JZAXo

Shannon
06-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Doesn't look too shabby :)

killerspots
06-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Thanks ;)
I hope Stephen King will like the movie as much as we do.
And hopefully you all as much as the trailer :)

Stockerlone
08-05-2012, 09:19 AM
You Missed Sonja

Some infos from the first offical Newsletter:

"You missed Sonja" is nominated for the "no fear" Producers Award at Germanys most important new-blood-filmfestival FIRST STEPS 2012.

The Jury says:

"A thriller from Stephen King Dollar Baby program, beautifully told close without embarrassing gaffes Mask - Hats off! Also produced very well resolved - despite a fairly small budget is everywhere these energy "That's what we want because we like the well narrated horror genre !" - Indispensable fighting for a better film is definitely an important ingredient for a future fearless producers!

Official HP

http://www.facebook.com/hff.RestStop

Shannon
08-05-2012, 07:51 PM
Excellent! Good luck!

Stockerlone
08-16-2012, 08:58 AM
Delver GLASS

http://www.delverglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/WPBG.png

Is based on the short story "The Reaper's Image" by Stephen King
on the estate Hohehorst Schwanewede at Bremen a unique short film
get produced.

´Right in the middle of one of the most spine-tingling story told in Northern Germany this year. Delver Glass ist a short film that wants to give people the shivers all around the world.´

Delber Glass
HP + facebook

On the HP, there is complete information about
Cast: Jeff Burrell (The Ghost) +
Matthew Burton (Beyond the Sea + Operation Valkyrie)
(The film is shot in ENGLISH)
Crew, locations, and many photos

www.delverglass.com

https://www.facebook.com/DelverGlass

TRAILER

http://vimeo.com/45535635

German Articles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkADuLudJJM

http://www.weser-kurier.de/region/zeitungen_artikel,-In-Hohehorst-geht-der-Sensenmann-um-_arid,344462.html

http://vimeo.com/45535635

http://www.hannover.1730sat1.de/aktuell.html?&cHash=2ac46a168c7ea5bfb0767fbf39984080&tx_ttnews

Have contacted Henning van Lil (producer), he told me this:

We have just finished on the farm near Bremen Hohehorst and are veeeery happy with the material. The post production is currently being prepared. Editing, music and set to music all comes from 5.1-Bremen. We are not tired of saying that we need is not less than able to prove that one can produce genre films in North Germany, which is internationally competitive.
http://www.delverglass.com/wp-content/gallery/delver-glass/img_7545bearbfb.jpg

Today, the shooting endet, only 150 km away from me.

This is the official press kit which is also available on the HP.
http://www.delverglass.com/presse/Delver_Glass_Pressemappe.pdf

mae
08-27-2012, 02:03 PM
http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/local_news/a-king-for-a-dollar/article_b955dcff-8cf2-5b08-9032-6d503f9b19da.html

A North Attleboro native will be immersed in the world of Stephen King this fall, when he begins filming a movie based on one of the author's short stories.

David Humphreys, a 2005 graduate of North Attleboro High School who is now an independent filmmaker living in Boston, will bring an adaptation of King's short story "Night Surf" to film.

"I read it in high school and I thought it would be a neat story to film," said Humphreys, who learned he had secured permission to adapt the story on the same day he received his master's degree from Emerson College.

Humphreys, 25, obtained permission through King's "Dollar Baby" program, in which the author grants one-time filming rights to young filmmakers for $1. The resulting films cannot be exhibited commercially without King's approval, but can be sent to film festivals.

The movies can lead to a successful career, too.

Filmmaker Frank Darabont participated in the "Dollar Baby" program and later went on to direct "The Shawshank Redemption," also based on a King short story.

Humphreys said his team hopes to have "Night Surf" finished by January, so the movie can be entered in several film festivals.

"Ideally, we'll go on a festival circuit," he said. "We're making it more for the joy of making a film than for saying I want to make some money on this - it's more about creating.

"It's a good thing for everybody involved. We have a young cast and crew that's just starting out, and we all want to get one to 10 really good pieces under our belts."

Filming begins in October on Cape Cod, and Humphreys hopes to bring a big-budget style to a low-budget production.

The 15-minute film will tell the story of a group of teenagers who are survivors of a flu-like epidemic that wipes out the world's population, and will explore the concepts of loss, acceptance and grief.

Another adaptation of "Night Surf" was filmed in 2001, but strayed from the original story. Humphreys said his adaptation will stick closer to the original material.

"There's a reason why it's a great story and there's a reason why it works," he said.

In addition to Humphreys, who is directing the film, the production team includes Ericka Nelson, producer; Geoff Tarulli, screenwriter and Shaun Clarke, director of photography.

Two local actors are working in the film, including, Katherine Barrett, a 2009 Bishop Feehan High School graduate, and Caitlin O'Neill, who attends King Philip Regional High School and was recently crowned Miss Massachusetts Teen 2012.

Also starring in the film are Sebastian Konarski, Paul Goleburn, Selima Smith-Dell, Jake Gutwillig and Tim Goff.

It has long been Humphreys' goal to become a filmmaker. Not only did he write a third of a screenplay in high school, his interest in movies stretches back to when he was just 4 years old and his VHS tape of "The Wizard of Oz" was daily fare.

It wasn't until college that Humphreys decided to pursue that dream rather than his passion for writing. He had been considering a career in journalism and worked at an internship at The Sun Chronicle.

In his junior year, Humphreys had to make a critical and career-altering decision after being accepted to both a six-slot screenwriting class and a Boston Globe internship. He chose the screenwriting class, which refocused his goals onto the movie industry.

Humphreys and his production team are in the process of raising the $3,000 needed for filming through a campaign on kickstarter.com.

Read more about the kickstarter campaign and Humphreys film by visiting the production blog at nightsurfmovie.wordpress.com.

http://www.wabi.tv/news/32865/filmmaker-premieres-adaptation-of-stephen-kings-survivor-type-in-bangor

Filmmaker and Maine native Billy Hanson took Stephen King's short story Survivor Type and brought it to life on screen.

Hanson said, "It's about a man who finds himself stranded on an island with no food and only a few supplies and has to go to great lengths to keep himself alive for rescue that may or may not come."

Hanson said he's always been a big Stephen King fan, so he was happy to put his spin on King's story.

"It's something that I've always wanted to do is work with that quality of material, basically with a story that is so original and so striking that I think it's going to be something that people will remember," said Hanson.

An audience in Bangor was the first to see it on the big screen. Stephen King's WZON helped bring the film to the Penobscot Theatre for its world premiere on Sunday.

"I literally can not think of a better place to screen this thing first. Not only is it Stephen King's hometown, but I think all the people coming here tonight are true King fans and are going to be familiar with the material so they're going to be excited about it," said Hanson.

Actor Gideon Emery starred in the film and joined Hanson at the premiere in Bangor.

Before the premiere he said, "I've seen a rough cut. I haven't seen it finished yet, so I'll be a little bit of an audience member too."

Afterwards, there was an question and answer session with audience members. Hanson was excited to hear what they thought, but he and his film have already received high praise from King himself.

"He said that we did a great job with it and his exact quote was, 'It's next to brilliant," which I mean, I feel I can die a happy man now," said Hanson.

mae
10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/10/22/3615706.htm

One of Stephen King's short stories is being made into a movie here in the Hunter, and it only cost the film-makers a dollar.

The famous writer created the Dollar Baby Film Project in the 70s to give aspiring film-makers the chance to adapt his short stories.

The films created must be not-for-profit, and must not use his name above the title to trade on his reputation, but acknowledge him as the source of the material.

Cessnock High School teacher Chris Penglaze and NIDA student Alicia Nolan are making a short film called Off the Beaten Track, adapted by Chris from King's short story One For the Road, from his Night Shift collection.

It's a spin-off of King's famous Salem's Lot, the vampire story that was made into a movie.

Chris and Alicia explained to 1233 ABC Newcastle's Aaron Kearney what they're hoping to achieve with the film. (listen to attached audio) (http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/local/newcastle/201210/r1022422_11612754.mp3)

"For film-makers the point is not playing on his name, the point is being given this opportunity to take one of his short stories and adapt it," Chris says.

The story has been "Australianised", with changes such as a heat wave replacing a blizzard, and is being shot at locations around the Hunter, including a private property at Limeburners Creek.

"It's very creepy," Alicia says of the remote location.

The film, which is half completed, will run for around 20 minutes and be shown at film festivals and entered in international competitions.

"One of the things that really surprised us is how much the local business community has got behind us," Chris says.

"What we're hoping to do is produce a really nice supernatural piece."

The pair acknowledge that the film is not low-budget so much as "no budget", but are hoping it will lead to bigger things.

Chris is passionate about Australia's ability to make quality horror films, and has been inspired by the success of Wolf Creek.

"The Hunter Valley has so many great landscapes that we'd love to use on our next project," he says.

Stockerlone
10-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Some amazing news...

Hey dear King fans

there are news to our Dollar Baby YOU MISSED SONJA.
http://sphotos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/579279_418673838186413_1868124141_n.jpg

• World premiere
Next week, the time has come, we will finally celebrate the world premiere of our film. On 26.10.2012 at 19:15 in the Scala cinema. Tickets are still available, so get at the bacon and be there. Moreover, the film is. Still on 28.10 and 27.10 at 22:45 at 16:45 shown.

• Soundtrack Online
As a small surprise the soundtrack of our Dollar Baby
is available on soundcloud for streaming. So put on headphones, pulled the volume fully up and overwhelmed by the great music of our musician Hector Marroquin.
http://soundcloud.com/youmissedsonja/se ... -Sonja-east

And who is not a fan: http://www.facebook.com/youmissedsonja there are any new information, pictures, reports from court and what else you have to tell fascinating.
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/535970_327521547301643_1446872078_n.jpg

Until then,
Greetings
Your YOU MISSED SONJA team

Stockerlone
10-29-2012, 10:10 AM
The DELVER GLASS MOVIE POSTER

http://www.delverglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DG_Plakat_web.jpg

herbertwest
10-31-2012, 01:33 AM
i always loved that story !

Stockerlone
11-04-2012, 10:03 AM
The official Delver Glass Trailer !!!

http://www.delverglass.com/?lang=en

Stockerlone
11-19-2012, 06:13 AM
A nice article about the German You MISSED SONJA - Dollar Baby projekt
in the German Newspaper Lausitzer Rundschau.

http://www.lr-online.de/nachrichten/Tagesthemen-Filmstudenten-aus-Potsdam-bringen-erste-deutsche-Stephen-King-Verfilmung-ins-Kino;art1065,3989727

Don´t wanna translate the complete German Newspaper anticle, i only throw him in the google translator...:nana:

http://www.lr-online.de/storage/scl/xmliosimport/tdt/2502175_m1mst1w500q75v19591_201210181404-GPJ44PASA.1-ORG.jpg?version=1350724194

Film students from Potsdam bring first German Stephen King adaptation to the cinema
Bloody nights in Bad Liebenwerda

Bad Liebenwerda.. Two years did it take to work on the horror film "You missed Sonja". Now celebrating the first German film adaptation of a story by best-selling author Stephen King premiere at the Hof Film Festival. Place of horror: a gas station near Bad Liebenwerda.
Drama, Baby! In the horror film, it has to go bloody and highly emotional. It also knows actor Oliver width, which has long been at the State Theatre in Cottbus. Photos: Ben Kriemann

Writer Rick Hardin travels around aimlessly. He quarreled with his wife. The middle of nowhere they got out at a gas station and tried to take a taxi. But it never moves forward. She calls her husband wants to reconcile. When the comes, she is no longer there. He waits. Cries. Hardin thinks that his wife is in trouble. Panic. He intervened - and will soon wish to be never gotten out.

With more than 400 million books sold worldwide Stephen King is one of the most successful writers of our time. Film students from Potsdam, it is thanks to them that Bad Liebenwerda (Elbe-Elster) is now a little bit associated with his name attached. The horror short story "rest stop" will flicker as the first German King adaptation at all over the canvas. Place of horror: a gas station near Bad Liebenwerda. "This place, lonely and mysterious, is ideal for our horror story," says producer Paul Andexel. Along with his film crew, he has been looking for suitable locations for the shooting and is in the Elbe-Elster found it.

For the symbolic sum of one dollar to Andexel had to secure the rights to "rest stop". Stephen King has for several years with his project "Dollar Babies" students the opportunity to make a film selected short stories. Sun Andexel could, together with the student writer Carol M. Lowitz and the Director Félix students cook the roughly 20-minute horror film in 2010 and 2011 turn.

Now that everything is in the box, Andexel producer hopes that it the same feat as director Frank Darabont succeed. Also he once filmed a short film by Stephen King. The work pleased the horror masterpiece so well that Darabont allowed to film the movie "The Shawshank Redemption" - for many critics one of the best films of all time. Darabont since then has been to the great masters of his craft.

A good start to pay more attention are the Hof Film Festival, will celebrate on which "You missed Sonja" had its world premiere. In court meets for years the crème de la crème of the film. Rosa von Praunheim ("The guys from Bahnhof Zoo") and Tom Tykwer ("Perfume") were already there. "It's a great honor just to celebrate its world premiere at the festival. It is what I always hoped," says Andexel.

The scene of the crime: A gas station at Bad Liebenwerda.
And who were film students from Potsdam Babelsberg overcome some hurdles. "The Curse of Stephen King," as Andexel says. Technical problems have led to parts of the film had to be shot again. Then the money ran out. In addition to partners such as the Council did Pack Filmproduktion, the students on their website to look for funding. Andexel put on internet forums before the project and solicited support from King fans from around the world. On micro-donations came together more than 2000 euros. He heaped with sponsors, donations and its own resources to EUR 20 000.

Andexel for the production is also his graduate degree project at the School of Film and Television (HFF) Konrad Wolf in Potsdam-Babelsberg. "I have presented me a bit easier to shoot a horror movie," he says, looking back. It would remain about the horror film to be quite clear who is the villain. The figures can not be blurred. That's why Andexel and his team repeatedly went to Bad Liebenwerda to shoot more scenes. "It is supposed to eventually be perfect," he says.

With actors Christian Erdmann, Ute Springer, Oliver Breite and Greta Galisch de Palma could Andexel commit renowned and experienced people. For the musical interpretation, he won the Film Orchestra Babelsberg. "With short films, you can indeed make any money, but get attention," he says.

Andexel is a big fan of genre cinema. His favorite films include "Leon The Professional" with Jean Reno and the young Natalie Portman and the Batman film "The Dark Knight" by Christopher Nolan. "I'm actually to the movies because I want to experience something. Condition with simple descriptions I can not do anything," he says. He is also at his university out of the frame. Many of his fellow students graduation films are laden with meaning. "Sure, that's super important. But a really good action or horror movie can make for a lot of fun," he says.

Whether Andexel and his team will eventually turn even successful movies like King admirer Darabont must decide especially the audience. A strong critic of the Potsdam Film students but already on the cheek. The Lord lives in Maine, United States of America, and is Stephen King. Will look at the film personally. For that is part of the contract of the "Dollar Babies".

www.youmissedsonja.com

"You missed Sonja" on 26th October at the 46th Hof International Film Festival shown.

Ari_Racing
04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
A FILM-maker has signed a deal with Stephen King to make one of his short stories into a film.
Carl Whiteley, originally from Crowle, moved to Manchester four years ago to pursue a career in the film industry – and is now looking to film one of King's most grisly stories.

The tale – Survivor Type, from the Skeleton Crew short story collection – tells of a marooned surgeon who keeps a diary of his ordeal as he is forced to slowly eat himself alive to stave off starvation.
Carl said: "This is an amazing opportunity, as not only do I get to make a Stephen King – my favourite author – film but it will open many more doors in the industry.

"His name alone will do wonders for me."
But to make the film, Carl must raise between £2,500 and £3,000 – which Carl says is not easy on an indie film maker income.
He is looking for sponsorship in return for Executive Producer credits.
Carl – who works as an independent film maker at his company Black Mill Productions – paid one dollar to put his idea for a film to Stephen King. His idea was successfully chosen and a contract signed on filming rights.
"Next week, I will be launching a fundraising page via www.kickstarter.com, where people can donate money in return for a credit on the film," said the Crowle director.
Carl has directed a few music videos, short films and has had three chosen to appear at local film festivals.
And he is also working on a £1.5 million film project about aliens coming to earth for a stag-do.
He said: "We have some amazing Hollywood names attached already.
"One of the people confirmed is a star of Lord of the Rings, but I cannot say who until the contract is signed.
"And for the Stephen King film, we have a big actor lined up but I can not say who yet too."

Source: http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/Stephen-King-short-story-turned-film-Crowle-man/story-18652550-detail/story.html#axzz2Q5jv112y

CyberGhostface
04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Interesting but this is probably going to be one of those films where they just take the basic concept of King's storyline and run with it.

Shannon
04-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Does this quote bother anyone else? It doesn't sit well with me.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
04-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Even though this story is one of my all time favorites. I don't know if there is enough to it to make a feature length film.

Bryant Burnette
04-10-2013, 04:10 PM
This is a Dollar Baby, I assume?

Ari_Racing
04-10-2013, 05:28 PM
Not a dollar baby. A movie for theaters.

Bryant Burnette
04-10-2013, 05:49 PM
I don't necessarily get that sense from reading the article. Smells like a Dollar Baby to me.

CyberGhostface
04-10-2013, 07:27 PM

Heh I'll say this much, given all the forgettable DTV schlock made from King's work he's definitely counting his eggs before they hatch here.

pathoftheturtle
04-11-2013, 12:09 AM

Heh I'll say this much, given all the forgettable DTV schlock made from King's work he's definitely counting his eggs before they hatch here.Doesn't bother me at all. That's how it works in Hollywood. Big actors will join a project if it has a director they know on board. Big directors will join a project if an actor they know is already committed. And so on. Having rights on a popular writer's work is one way to break in on that. It's really just a reasonable statement, I think.
And it may be true that a whole lot of schlock has been made from SK stories, but he still is a force in the town. I bet more famous people have already been actually connected to his career than to Kevin Bacon. lol

CyberGhostface
04-11-2013, 04:00 PM
I think it's weird but as popular as King is as a writer I don't think his name matters that much in Hollywood at this point aside from the big stories (Carrie, The Shining). I mean just look at how no one wants to touch The Dark Tower (and even then we're going to have to cram seven books into three movies) or how Frank Darabont had to make The Mist for peanuts because of the ending.

Regardless I'd be very surprised if King's name alone will do much for this guy at least given how minor the title is. Heck I'd be surprised if this gets a full-fledged theatrical release.

herbertwest
04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Not a dollar baby. A movie for theaters.

No Ari, this is a dollar baby.

The director contacted me and asked me if i could post the following indiegogo link on my Facebook page... and i declined, simply because i dont promote ANY crowdsourcing solutions for dollar babies.
I tend to believe that there are way too many crowdsourcing for dollar babies, and... that, i think that it could very easy to claim to have the rights to adapt a story without doing it. Therefore conning people. It probably wont be that easy, but...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/survivor-type--4?show_todos=true

The director has worked on several short films and always delivered. He will be working with his co- producer (who has worked on several very big movies) to ensure a high quality, professional film will be made.

We have asked for the amount of £1500 for this project as it is the minimum we can make a good film for. However should we raise more than this amount it will allow us to give the project a better production and obtain better know actors and better equipment.

This film cannot be used for financial gain. This is clearly stipulated in the contract. Your pledges will help several determined and talented film makers and crew get a break they have worked hard for.
The rewards detailed on this page include, screenings, dinner invites etc. Please note that travel to and accommodation of these events are not included in the rewards.
Also anyone receiving a copy of the full film must be aware that it is for their own viewing only, as the contract forbids us to show the full film online.

Clearly terms of Dollar Babies.
PS : $1500 doesnt seem like a lot AT ALL for me!

Bryant Burnette
04-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Well, that solves it. I can now officially be uninterested in this "movie." (I'm enough of a King completist that I own even the worst of the ripoff "sequels" -- which is, arguably, Creepshow III -- but I draw the line at amateur productions, which is clearly what this is going to be.)

pathoftheturtle
04-11-2013, 11:27 PM
PS : $1500 doesnt seem like a lot AT ALL for me!
Actually, £1500 is closer to $2300, but that's still very little.

Ari_Racing
04-12-2013, 07:59 AM
No Ari, this is a dollar baby.

Thanks, J! :) My mistake.

herbertwest
04-13-2013, 05:36 AM
It seems that there will be a feature movie from Indonesia, based on THE WOMAN IN THE ROOM

That's what claims the following article :
http://bokunosekai.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/an-interview-with-marky-yahya-ali/2/

At first i thought that it was going to be a dollar baby... but in comment they said that it's going to be a full-length movie...

Stockerlone
06-04-2013, 02:00 AM
Three continents – Nine Days – Delver Glass goes international.

http://www.delverglass.com/?lang=en

Stockerlone
09-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Teaser of unofficial adaptation, non for profit, only for SK fans.
Lector:: Leszek Teleszyński
Music: Jacek Kuderski (Myslovitz) / Darek Kocurek
Graphics / animation / production: Darek Kocurek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuAI_xAmvq0

https://www.facebook.com/LamentParanoika

Ari_Racing
09-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Interesting!

Shannon
09-30-2013, 12:48 PM
This looks great.

Brice
09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
:thumbsup:

RainInSpain
10-01-2013, 03:10 AM
Impressive!

Jean
10-01-2013, 03:11 AM
Kocurek is a genius. I always said so. Nobody has ever created better DT artwork, among his many other masterpieces.

ladysai
10-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Very cool!
Thanks for sharing the video here. :D

sgc1999
10-01-2013, 04:05 AM
Teaser of unofficial adaptation, non for profit, only for SK fans.
Lector:: Leszek Teleszyński
Music: Jacek Kuderski (Myslovitz) / Darek Kocurek
Graphics / animation / production: Darek Kocurek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuAI_xAmvq0

I like the other movie for this story better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMwSqqc9Ws

Stockerlone
10-01-2013, 04:26 AM
Yes, Darek Kocurek is an amazing artist. Hope this impressive project is finished soon.

http://www.darekkocurek.com/

http://www.artflakes.com/en/shop/darekkocurek

WeDealInLead
10-01-2013, 06:46 AM
I like it.

fearless-freak
10-17-2013, 08:38 AM
Director Red Clark has a Halloween treat for you guys as he’s uploaded an insanely awesome trailer for his short film “Grey Matter” to YouTube! The short is a horror film adaptation of a story by Stephen King from his collection “Night Shift.”

Starring indie producer/director/actor Larry Fessenden, the short was done using all practical effects (matte paintings, animatronics, puppets), and will be playing in festivals in the upcoming winter.

“This is really just a passion project done for pure love of the genre, King, and practical effects,” Clark tells us. “I was lucky enough to get some of my horror favorites involved.”

This was a follow up to a “Just After Sunset” trailer Clark did for King’s publisher a few years back that he chose as winner and blurbed about.

The poster was done by The Dude Designs (Innkeepers, Hobo with a Shotgun) Tom Hodge

http://cdn.bloody-disgusting.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/GreyMatter_POSTER_Web.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USR8sq1F-kE

mikeC
10-17-2013, 10:30 AM
That's a great poster!
The trailer is ok. Don't remember any spiders in the story though.

mattgreenbean
10-17-2013, 12:21 PM
Great Trailer! I wish more modern horror movies used "practical effects."

Stockerlone
10-21-2013, 08:55 AM
Official Teaser Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USR8sq1F-kE#t=20

https://www.facebook.com/RedClarkPresents

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/1379818_587289654667704_1393687610_n.jpg

Stockerlone
01-11-2014, 06:59 AM
PARANOID Posters and Postcards for people who supported the project.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/s403x403/1383694_648945705125917_925548088_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/q71/s720x720/1385550_645453732141781_1772672012_n.jpg

Stockerlone
04-08-2014, 09:21 AM
Room and electric suction cup on the floor ... in progress

https://scontent-a-fra.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/s403x403/1000648_736537146366772_1844242452_n.jpg

Stockerlone
04-22-2014, 12:49 PM
https://www.facebook.com/LamentParanoika?fref=photo
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/p200x200/10177406_740540479299772_1913799136335860824_n.jpg

Stockerlone
06-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Premiere my unoficial adaptation ?Paranoid: a chant?
Film will be available on youtube only for 19 hours and 19 minutes.
Film with Polish lector and English subtitles.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/q74/s720x720/10344795_10201219315365431_7105476445543613241_n.j pg

https://www.facebook.com/events/1424757371124991/

Stockerlone
06-19-2014, 09:43 AM
DAREK Kocurek - SK shortmovie- PARANOID

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRjMjVLkFec&feature=youtu.be

mikeC
07-01-2015, 05:57 AM
I kind of think this is ridiculous but I'm getting old and I guess people asking for money to make a dollar baby is ok nowadays. But I guess someone lent Darabont money to make Woman in the room, I don't know.
Kind of an odd choice for a movie at this time too.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/suffer-the-little-children--3#/story

herbertwest
07-01-2015, 06:31 AM
IMO, If we were to create a thread for each dollar baby and those crowfunded dollar baby, we'd never end...

mikeC
07-01-2015, 07:31 AM
IMO, If we were to create a thread for each dollar baby and those crowfunded dollar baby, we'd never end...

Geez fine delete it fancy pants.

herbertwest
07-01-2015, 12:40 PM
I was just expressing my opinion, smarty pants.

mikeC
07-02-2015, 05:57 AM
Ha nice. The main reason why I posted it was because of the crowd funding part and to see what others opinions of it.

Randall Flagg
07-02-2015, 11:48 AM
I kind of think this is ridiculous but I'm getting old and I guess people asking for money to make a dollar baby is ok nowadays. But I guess someone lent Darabont money to make Woman in the room, I don't know.
Kind of an odd choice for a movie at this time too.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/suffer-the-little-children--3#/story
Thanks for posting. I found some of the donation amount incentives very cool. Might even sponsor.

mtdman
07-06-2015, 11:31 AM
IMO crowdfunding is past its prime. It was a good idea when it started but now there's too much of it.

Roseannebarr
07-06-2015, 01:58 PM
i too was intrigued by the post! and the incentives! Thanks for posting!

mae
07-27-2015, 05:52 AM
http://www.oudaily.com/news/gaylord-graduate-writes-book-on-stephen-king-s-baby-filmmakers/article_9559e9d4-3220-11e5-a210-a3eb304a639c.html

An OU graduate wants to spread the word of horror writer Stephen King’s generosity through his new book on King’s dollar baby filmmakers.

Graduating in 2000 with a degree in professional writing then staying two more years for film and video clasess, Shawn S. Lealos took a screenwriting class where he learned that Stephen King allows filmmakers to make a short film adaptation of one of his short stories — for just a dollar.

Now, through a nearly six year process that began in 2009, Lealos has gathered interviews of 19 actual baby filmmakers and turned their stories into a book called “Dollar Deal: The Story of the Stephen King Dollar Baby Filmmakers.”

Even the Frank Darabont film “The Shawshank Redemption,” would not have been created had he not impressed Stephen King with his baby film, “The Woman in the Room.”

“Next week, I’m heading up to Seattle to actually have a dollar baby film festival, where I’m going to be showing a dozen dollar babies up at the Battlestar Galactica Convention,” Lealos said.

Lealos made a baby film of his own back in 2002, called “I Know What You Need.” It was based off a story from King’s novel, “Nightshift.”

Lealos said the film is about a girl failing her college classes who receives all the correct answers from a male stranger. The girl appreciates the stranger's help in passing her classes, only to discover he is obsessed with her and uses voodoo to manipulate her.

Though it took King a year to respond to Lealos over a decade ago, “it’s actually easier now than it was with me,” Lealos said.

Filmmakers can access King’s website to request access to the current short stories available for adaptation.

Lealos said the baby filmmakers he met with inspired him.

“How they were able to actually work and not give up, keep pushing until they got it made, and that really showed me why they became successful after that," Lealos said.

Xerrand
07-27-2015, 05:57 AM
Sounds really interesting, Id love to read that book. Thanks for sharing!

Stockerlone
07-27-2015, 06:18 AM
A new thread is a good idea !!!

WITH the foreign country movies / not english language movies it will be really interesting.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?182-Quirky-King-and-Dark-Tower-Items&p=936059#post936059

http://dollardealbook.com/dollar-baby-filmmakers/

Stockerlone
01-29-2016, 11:46 AM
I AM THE DOORWAY

https://www.facebook.com/IAMTHEDOORWAYMOVIE

http://www.iamthedoorway.com/#intro
https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtl1/v/t1.0-9/11866255_1166869090006770_4691321706371784421_n.pn g?oh=b9837595b642618291282f1486910954&oe=574948FA

wolfehr
02-18-2016, 04:52 PM
moviepilot.com: Could This Be The Best Stephen King Adaptation Ever? (http://moviepilot.com/posts/3782516)

There is a new Stephen King adaptation on the way, and judging by the team creating this one, it looks set to be one of the best yet.

Some of you may be familiar with King's short story collection Night Shift. In Night Shift, there is a story called I Am The Doorway. The story goes a little something like this:

After a journey to investigate desolate Venus, astronaut Arthur returns home a shattered man. He sees eyes forcing their way through the skin of his hands, eyes that distort his friends and the landscape itself into monstrous visions. Believing himself the doorway to alien invasion and gruesome murder, he must take desperate action.
A trio of award-winning US screenwriters are adapting King's work - Jeffrey Stackhouse, Richard A. Becker and Wendy Lashbrook. They've won awards at the PAGE International Screenwriting Awards, Shriekfest Horror Festival in LA and the Las Vegas Screenplay Contest.

The adaptation has been officially licensed under Stephen King's Dollar Baby scheme, a wonderful scheme which gives successful applicants the opportunity to make a non-commercial adaptation of one of King's short stories for the grand old sum of $1. Some major names have taken part in the scheme before - Frank Darabont, for example, adapted The Woman In The Room early in his career.

Of their screenplay, the writers said it was:

...a movie in the tradition of Argento and Cronenberg, a film of beautiful colours and gorgeous widescreen set pieces, which frame a brutal and devastating horror.
The insane amount of talent doesn't stop on the page either, as multi-award winning director Simon Pearce has been brought in to helm the ambitious adaptation. Pearce truly showed off his talent for horror with 2013's terrifying Judas Ghost. Also coming along with Simon from the Judas crew is producer Wolfram Parge, who quite possibly has the best name in all of movie making. On top of the phenomenal producer/director combo, shooting the film will be Phil Méheux BSC (Casino Royale, The Long Good Friday) while SFX will be provided by Illusion Industries (Blade, Pirates of the Caribbean).

I Am The Doorway is aiming to start production in Summer 2016, provided they reach their crowdfunding target of $15,000, which of course you can help with here (http://igg.me/at/doorway2016). There are some amazing rewards up for grabs - a producer credit, tickets to the premiere, and even one of the prosthetic hands with alien eyes (a perfect Mother's Day present if I've ever seen one!)

Starting at the $250 reward level you also get a hard copy of the script. Credits in the film start at $500, with $2000 getting your name at the beginning of the film as "In association with...". $5000 gets you the prosthetic hand, of which there are two available.

mae
04-25-2016, 05:46 AM
http://wvmetronews.com/2016/04/24/wvsu-students-produce-stephen-king-film-on-campus/

Communication students at West Virginia State University had the unique opportunity to produce a short film on campus by best-selling author Stephen King.

The movie is called “The Woman in the Room” and produced by about 25 people including students, professional local actors and professors at the college.

“I think it’s going to raise some eyebrows. I really do,” said David Brock, WVSU communications professor and director of the horror film, during one of the last days of filming.

The story is between a mother and son who are dealing with various degrees of guilt over something that happened in the past, Brock said. The mother is dying of cancer and her son is trying to come to terms with that.

“It’s an instance of history repeating itself,” Brock said. “I’d like for people to be creeped out, first and foremost, it’s a horror movie, but beyond that I’d also like them to be moved.”

The pilot project at WVSU allows students hands on experience working on a movie set. Every scene was shot on campus for a reason, Brock said.

“Aside from showcasing the student’s talents, we wanted to showcase West Virginia State. To keep it all in house, it makes the department look good and the college look good,” he said.

One scene was shot in a dorm room where students got to work on producing, lighting, audio, visuals, editing and more. Two classes were combined to work on the project for several weeks.

Brock said he hopes the project can lead to a series of movies each year. He said the goal is to allow students to move into larger roles, like directing, to give them the full professional exposure they need prior to graduation.

“It’s something that we want them to get a taste of so by the time they get out of here the idea is that to be able to put on a resume that I was an assistant camera person on a Stephen King movie right out of undergrad, it looks good,” he said.

“The Woman in the Room” will be submitted to several film festivals worldwide, Brock said.

The movie is part of Stephen King’s Dollar Baby films meaning King has allowed students and aspiring filmmakers or theatre producers to use of his short stories for $1 a piece. Brock said their film will be also be submitted to Dollar Baby festivals around the world.

“I think that’s where we’ll find probably our biggest audience,” he said. “I just hope people will be pleasantly surprised with at the work these students are doing.”

skyofcrack
06-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Does anyone have a list of all known Dollar Babies or otherwise amateur short films?

Ari_Racing
06-07-2016, 06:28 AM
It's not easy to have an accurate list these days. There are hundreds (probably thousands) fan made and non official shorts. As for the official ones there are a lot announced but more than 50% never make it to the end and are not completed due to lack of funds. Wikipedia has a list if you want to check it.

If you're looking for only official ones, I'd suggest to check the Facebook group about Dollar Babies were usually the official ones are announced. If you're looking for non-official as well...well, check youtube.

skyofcrack
06-07-2016, 07:41 AM
It's not easy to have an accurate list these days. There are hundreds (probably thousands) fan made and non official shorts. As for the official ones there are a lot announced but more than 50% never make it to the end and are not completed due to lack of funds. Wikipedia has a list if you want to check it.

If you're looking for only official ones, I'd suggest to check the Facebook group about Dollar Babies were usually the official ones are announced. If you're looking for non-official as well...well, check youtube.

Thanks. Didn't realize there were so many.

mae
07-10-2016, 08:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBnCDZfn92U

mae
10-05-2016, 04:07 PM
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/5/13176308/stephen-king-the-long-walk-fan-art-animation-adriano-gazza

There are a lot of short films out there based on Stephen King's short stories, largely because of King's "dollar babies" program, which permits film students to pay a buck for the rights to make a non-commercial adaptation of one of King's short stories. But short films based on his novels are much rarer, because the adaptation rights are largely owned by other people. That's certainly true of The Long Walk, King's 1979 novel about a dystopic future where a popular national sport consists of a hundred teenagers walking cross-country in a marathon that only one of them will survive. It's surprising that the book has never been adapted to film, given how perfectly suitable it is for the low-budget indie-horror treatment, and given how neatly it slots into the tragic-future young-adult-novel trend that's taken over cinemas since The Hunger Games. But longtime King fan Frank Darabont (director of the King adaptations The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and The Mist) has been hanging onto the movie rights to The Long Walk for years, saying he'll get around to the film eventually.

In the meantime, fans will have to be content with this recent fan adaptation, a striking, bloody animated short that adapts a monologue in the book, and draws on some of the story's ending. It functions as a perfect teaser for the novel, which is one of King's best.

The animator is Adriano Gazza, a 41-year-old British motion graphics designer who's made a series of music videos and other short side projects while working as an illustrator and graphic designer. This is his first short film. "I kept thinking it would make a brilliant film," he told The Verge. "It became an ongoing joke with my friends that I would make the film one day! But people kept encouraging me, and over the years, I got more into making videos and it became a more tangible proposition."

Gazza started work on the project five years ago, initially planning it as a live-action short. "I storyboarded elements and had the bones of a script," he says, "but there was so much material to condense that I eventually drifted away from it. Then I thought, ‘Let's make this by myself, as an animation, so I can control when I work on it, and don't have to wait on other people's schedules.'" One advantage to that approach: Gazza has two small children and not a lot of free time, so he was only really free to work on the project while he was commuting to work.

"I wrote a new script, then storyboarded it all on my iPad and phone. I spent a year testing animation styles — rotoscoping and 3D — using apps on my iPad. It's amazing what's out there. But nothing would give me the consistent look I was after. I finally found a great piece of software / resource on my Mac called Mixamo, which allows you to build 3D characters from its Fuse program, then upload to the site and add motion-capture data." Gazza used Cinema 4D for the 3D work, and added effects, overlays, and additional graphic elements (like that creepy "in his feet" text, drawn in veins) in After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator. "I love to play with textures and collage in my illustration and animation work," he says, "so I experimented a lot, too."

Gazza says the hard part of the film was figuring out how to condense the novel down to short-film length, but other parts were easier. The soundtrack came from his best friend, a Los Angeles-based musician who records as Small Magellanic Cloud. And the shifting animation and narrative styles emerged naturally out of King's book. "I wanted to make the film start off literally and set the scene, and then slowly feel like a descent into a hallucinogenic nightmare, to mirror the exhaustion of the walkers. This way, I could interweave fantasy elements and use visual devices to transition scenes, so the whole film felt cohesive. There are some great descriptive scenes in the book, including one where King describes the crowd turning into a giant spider, possibly due to the extreme fatigue of the participants. One of the great inspirations for me was the film of Pink Floyd's The Wall — specifically, Gerald Scarfe and team's outstanding, nightmarish animations. I would have loved to have had the spider scene in the film, but couldn't find a place for it. Maybe in my next film!"

http://vimeo.com/185194788

mae
10-18-2016, 01:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AprHn-yZ7ng

Ari_Racing
10-19-2016, 05:37 AM
There are several scenes in the video that belong to DBs I don't remember watching (and I watched more than 100).

I still can't believe that some festivals are still showing My Pretty Pony...

NoAttitudeThisTime
10-19-2016, 06:48 AM
It's cool that they also show the animated Beachworld. Anyone here seen it at the festivals? How is it?

Ari_Racing
10-19-2016, 06:51 AM
I saw it. It's...long.

herbertwest
10-19-2016, 09:34 AM
I wish that one day the claymation version of THE SUN DOG that steve mentionned in his intro to THE GREEN MILE the screenplay will surface...

mattgreenbean
10-24-2016, 05:10 AM
I wish that one day the claymation version of THE SUN DOG that steve mentionned in his intro to THE GREEN MILE the screenplay will surface...

Now that is an obscure reference. Nice!

Bev Vincent
01-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Umney's Last Case: Sherlock Holmes goes to Barkerville with Stephen King (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sherlock-holmes-goes-to-barkerville-with-stephen-king-1.3935824)

Brainslinger
01-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Interesting. Especially as I didn't even know Stephen King had written a Sherlock Holmes story! I thought I'd read Nightmares and Dreamscapes too. It was years ago, but I'm sure I would have remembered a Sherlock Holmes tale...

needfulthings
01-24-2017, 08:01 PM
Interesting. Especially as I didn't even know Stephen King had written a Sherlock Holmes story! I thought I'd read Nightmares and Dreamscapes too. It was years ago, but I'm sure I would have remembered a Sherlock Holmes tale...
The Doctor's Case 1st editions. U.S.A. 1987 U.K. 1988
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8614/ykZ7Zr.jpg

CyberGhostface
04-04-2017, 09:47 AM
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/my-pretty-pony-casts-saw-alum-tobin-bell-lead-stephen-king-1201799894/

“Saw” star Tobin Bell and child actor Noah Jupe will star in the drama “My Pretty Pony,” a short film set to start shooting in Michigan this spring. The story follows an elderly man on his deathbed who gives his young grandson a pocket watch and warns the boy against the dangers of letting time slip away.

Luke Jaden is directing the from a script he adapted based on a short story by Stephen King. Phil Wurtzel of Friel Films is producing. Brian Kavanaugh-Jones (“Loving,” “Midnight Special”) and Josh Boone (“The Fault in Our Stars”) are executive producing.

herbertwest
04-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Is this a dollar baby or a movie? I aint sure to be honnest, even though I first thought it was a DB

Bev Vincent
04-09-2017, 12:52 PM
According to Ms Mod, it is a dollar baby.

mae
05-19-2017, 07:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZhSZp1temw

mae
07-02-2017, 07:43 AM
http://www.thecouriertimes.com/news/article_0e47ef09-3b80-51e1-b5ea-431f28d39932.html

Henry County resident Cameron Grimm was sitting at dinner with his family when he got an email. He couldn’t believe his eyes.

“I stared at my phone and was in shock at first,” Grimm said. “My wife knew something was up. I turned the phone towards her and she had the same reaction.”

The email he received was from none other than Stephen King, an internationally recognized and best selling author.

Known for horror novels such as “The Shinning”, It”, and “Carrie”, King is also known for his wide ranging collection of nearly 200 short stories. One of those short stories, “The Man Who Loved Flowers”, is the basis for a film Grimm plans to direct.

Grimm had been interested in writing since 8th grade; however, he decided to join the United States Navy after the terrorist attacks on 9/11.

Following his military service, in 2006 Grimm was accepted to the Los Angeles Film School. Rather than pursue that interest, he decided to settle down, get married and have kids.

In 2016, Grimm and others came together to start 5 After 5 Productions to pursue their dreams of making films. The group agreed King’s short story was an excellent story to share on film.

“We loved the story of The Man Who Loved Flowers,” Grimm said. “It was a very complex story with a very awesome, complex character.”

Grimm wrote a letter about his company, who he was, and what he wished to do to King in hopes that King might give him permission to make the film.

“I must have said something that he really liked, we received the contract few weeks later,” Grimm said.

Since announcing the film project, Grimm has received an outpouring of interest and support.

“The support has been tremendous from people locally, from people all over the country,” Grimm said. “Stephen King fans have approached me telling me that this is their favorite story of King’s, and not to screw it up.”

Grimm said that he is looking for locations to host casting calls and that he hopes to begin filming towards the end of July or early August.

While the film doesn’t have a projected release date, the contract says that 5 after 5 Productions has to finish the project by May 1, 2018.

“The goal is to complete this without rushing, and doing it right, yet do it in a timely manner,” Grimm said.

The contract also states that the film is not allowed to make a profit, but funds may be raised to help with the film’s production.

When the film is finished, it will be sent to Stephen King to view. Grimm also hopes to share it on the film festival circuit.

Grimm encourages anyone who may be interested in helping the crew to contact 5after5productions@gmail.com.

mae
07-26-2017, 03:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgsaWUTupUI

Brainslinger
07-26-2017, 03:29 AM
A good choice for a new film.

I think One for the Road is one of my favourite short stories. It's also one of the few King stories I found genuinely scary. *

*that's not a criticism of King's other work. It just means I enjoyed other aspects of those stories.

mae
07-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Cool interview about I Am the Doorway:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/243767/exclusive-interview-robin-kasparek-stephen-kings-doorway/

mae
09-02-2017, 02:10 PM
http://www.saultstar.com/2017/09/02/douglas-makes-second-pitch-for-king-film

James Douglas is learning to work with less time to make his movie.

His 14-day shoot for The Doctor's Case, based on a short story by Stephen King, was cut to 12.

The son of former Sault Star reporter Tom Douglas originally planned to have his 65-minute film done by October.

He moved that deadline up a few weeks to Sept. 18 so his project can be entered for consideration for Sundance Film Festival's international feature division. The prospect of having The Doctor's Case shown at Sundance “was enough of a carrot” to get the movie done a little faster.

Losing shooting time “really caused us to focus our energy and become very efficient with our time,” Douglas told The Sault Star. “It meant a lot of sleepless nights ... The thrill of making the film certainly kept us going.”

The Doctor's Case has several other ties to Sault Ste. Marie. Douglas' cousin, Joanna, is a Sault native. A song by his aunt, Nancy Fairburn, who lives in the city, will be featured at the film's end. Tom Douglas and his wife, Gail, served as historical consultants.

King's story first appeared in The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The collection of stories marked the centennial of Arthur Conan Doyle's creation of the private detective. King allows non-commercial rights for his short stories to be brought to the stage or screen for a dollar. He watches what's created.

An online crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-doctor-s-case-movie-post-production#/) earlier this year raised $43,611 from 297 backers. Douglas now wants to raise $35,000 on Indiegogo for post-production work. His fundraising drive started in late July and has generated $5,517 in support as of Saturday.

“We felt that it was probably appropriate to reach out to the fan community that we do have already, and some new people, to try and help us raise the funds that will be necessary to ensure that the film is finished in time for the Sundance application,” said Douglas.

Total budget is almost $100,000. “A lot of us” involved with the film have put in their own cash to ensure The Doctor's Project is completed.

“We're so confident the product is what we wanted it to be that we're really looking at it as an investment in our own futures,” said Douglas. “I've always been aware of how delicate the money situation is in filmmaking. It can be so expensive if everything isn't going exactly according to plan and even then it can be very expensive.”

He's confident if The Doctor's Project can crack the Sundance lineup the prospect of seeing a King short story brought to the screen will attract film-goers. By keeping much of King's dialogue and detail, Douglas pegs the amount at 85 per cent, he anticipates he'll avoid a trap where less-than-stellar big-screen takes on King became entangled.

Those filmmakers “make the mistake of taking the plot of a Stephen King story and then just running with that,” he said. “The words themselves get lost in that adaptation ... We've done our best to preserve as much of Stephen King's actual writing as we can.

“If I can be a little bit boastful, I think it's probably one of the most faithful adaptations of a Stephen King story that will be out there.”

The Doctor's Case stars Denise Crosby (Star Trek: The Next Generation), William B. David (The X-Files) and Michael Coleman (Once Upon a Time).

Incentives for donors include a poster signed by Douglas, digital download of the soundtrack, cast and crew T-shirt and VIP invitations to a screening of the film.

The campaign ends Sept. 12.

“There's still quite a lot of work to do in the next three weeks, but everybody is just putting their nose to the grindstone and doing their best to get it done,” said Douglas. “I know that we will.”

He credited the “incredible help” of his father during filming in the spring.

“I would not have survived that shoot had it not been for my dad,” said Douglas. “He talked me down from a lot of stressful situations and offered up some very, very good advice.”

The senior Douglas also helped ease an “immigration situation” when Crosby came up from the United States to film in British Columbia.

“(He) cut right to the people that we needed to talk to and get the situation resolved,” said Douglas.

Tom Douglas was impressed with the dedication of the filmmakers.

“I've never seen anybody work as hard as that crew,” he said. “James knew his stuff. I was so proud of him. It was such a cohesive team. I am so proud of everybody.”

Ari_Racing
09-07-2017, 08:37 AM
SUBMISSION OPEN FOR KING ON SCREEN 3!

I'm glad to announce the third edition of King On Screen, the dollar baby film festival in Buenos Aires, Argentina, sponsored by Restaurant de la Mente - Libros y merchandising de Stephen King and authorized by the City Council.

KOS3 will take place on November 11th, from 2pm to 6:30pm. We decided to decrease the quantity of days and hours (last editions lasted for two days and four hours each day) in order to make it more strong and leave people anxious for the next edition.

For this event I was able to get permission for the National Library, which is a wonderful building in a very nice area of the city. The capacity is 200 people and we're more than sure that there will be people that won't be able to enter. Due to the publication of my book last March, I got a lot of press contacts that received the information and some already showed interest in covering the event.

Those interested in submitting a dollar baby, please contact info@restaurantdelamente.com. We won't screen dollar babies showed in previous editions of the festival or another festival in Argentina.

You can check the website at http://kingonscreen.restaurantdelamente.com (the website is in Spanish, of course)

mae
11-12-2017, 07:03 PM
https://portcitydaily.com/2017/11/12/local-filmmaker-to-film-stephen-kings-sherlock-holmes-story-in-wilmington-our-ht/

When Mike Roberts applied for the production rights to Stephen King’s “The Doctor’s Case,” a Sherlock Holmes story, he didn’t expect to get a contract back, three days later, with King’s signature on the dotted line.

“Honestly, It was a blind shot in the dark,” Roberts said.

Stephen King’s Dollar Baby program is a deal King offers to aspiring filmmakers to adapt his short stories that have not yet been made or auctioned off – for $1. Filmmakers are guaranteed King’s eyes on their final product.

“It took two weeks to settle in,” Roberts said. “You’re doing a Stephen King, but on top of that, it’s Sherlock Holmes. It’s a double bonus.”

King has the final say over whether the film will hit the commercial market. For Roberts, even if King disapproves, it’s about more than the dollar.

“It’s worth more on my resume than any amount of cash I could make,” he said. “I wouldn’t need to make a dollar because that is money well spent.”

Until now, Roberts has kept the project, which he regards will be the pinnacle of his career in film, tight-lipped.

“I’ve dropped a hint here and there,” he said. “One day I changed my profile picture to a picture of Sherlock Holmes for the day.”

“Firestarter,” a King original filmed in Wilmington in the early 1980s, ignited a trend of big-production filmmakers capturing the varied landscapes and talent the Cape Fear region had to offer.

“Had it not been for ‘Firestarter,’ we would not have a film industry here,” Robert said.

King’s works have trailblazed the local industry. Productions King penned later filmed in Wilmington include “Maximum Overdrive,” “Under the Dome” and “Firestarter,” to name a few.

“Here’s a very prominent writer, that loves to shoot in the same town that I live in,” Roberts said.

It’s only fitting that a King story could bring big film production back to the Port City that has nearly been extinguished in recent years after the General Assembly replaced tax incentives with a grant program.

“Once our film incentives were taken away, it pretty much paved the way for Atlanta to take away everything that had been built here for the last 20 years,” Roberts said.

Following the fallout that led top-notch filmmakers to head south, Roberts hopes his Sherlock Holmes gig will lure big names back into town.

“Once we can get it up and going, it may have a great impact on making people at least think outside the box. There are other ways to do film here,” he said. “If the productions aren’t coming here, then bring them here.”

“Vaughan,” a sitcom Roberts created and filmed in Wilmington, is wrapping up post-production. Picked up by major streaming networks including Hulu, Roku, iTunes, Vudu, Amazon Prime, PlayStation Network and Microsoft, “Vaughan” has occupied Robert’s energy this year.

Given 12 months to translate King’s work to a motion picture, Roberts has until September 2018 to put his spin on the twisted tale.

“Once I adapt the screenplay everything is going to start moving pretty fast,” he said.

With a background as a celebrity manager, Roberts maintains professional, working relationships with big-name talent.

“I’ve had a couple of people in mind that I feel would be fantastic people for Sherlock Holmes,” he said.

Casting a believable actor to manifest the 1800s-era detective will be a vital feat.

“(I’m) dealing with the most popular detective in the history of literature,” he said. “Historically speaking, it’s a pretty high standard.”

Unsure of funding, Roberts believes securing a letter of intent from a recognizable actor could entice investors to back the project.

“I would like to have name actors,” he said.

Roberts plans to enlist as much local talent as he can.

“The rest would be locally cast,” he said. “I definitely want to put that fresh talent that wouldn’t have that opportunity otherwise on that camera and in front of Stephen King.”

Landing a Sherlock Holmes project is a personal and professional blend of ambitions coming to fruition.

“My dad, before he passed away, was probably the biggest Sherlock Holmes fan on the planet,” he said. “We’ve been handed an opportunity, let’s make the most of it. There is no downside.”

herbertwest
11-13-2017, 01:55 AM
I actually wonder how that stories goes for copyright. Yes it's a King story, but it also uses Sherlock Holmes, which is from Conan Boyle's estate..

Ari_Racing
11-14-2017, 09:15 AM
I'm pretty sure Sherlock Holmes is already common domain by now. Isn't it?

By the way, I'm running the third edition of KING ON SCREEN in Argentina next weekend. It's a dollar baby film festival :)

Bev Vincent
11-14-2017, 09:27 AM
I'm pretty sure Sherlock Holmes is already common domain by now. Isn't it?

Almost all of the Holmes stories are in the public domain. The last 10 stories (published after 1923) remain under copyright protection until 2022-23.

Brainslinger
11-18-2017, 09:12 PM
I didn't know (or I forgot, because it rings a distant bell) that King wrote a Sherlock Holmes story.

Also fascinated that it is filmed in Wilmington, as I live in Wilmington. (Well just down the road from the village, but we come under the Wilmington parish.) I suspect it's a different Wilmington however, since mine is in South East England... :)

Bev Vincent
11-19-2017, 04:45 AM
I didn't know (or I forgot, because it rings a distant bell) that King wrote a Sherlock Holmes story.

)

It was in Nightmares and Dreamscapes.

Stockerlone
06-12-2018, 06:41 AM
YOU MISSED SONJA

The first German Dollar Baby.
https://vimeo.com/96421161

Ari_Racing
06-18-2018, 12:51 PM
I really liked that DB. I screened it during the second edition of King in Screen, in Buenos Aires.

mae
10-20-2018, 06:30 PM
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-45798603

The Stationary Bike, published by The Shining and Misery author in 2003, will be adapted for the screen and filmed around the town.

Blaenau Gwent Film Academy said gaining King's permission was "a great scoop".

A similar deal helped pave the way for a young filmmaker to direct critically-acclaimed The Shawshank Redemption.

The news follows a local production company winning awards for Polish-Welsh film The Bench while a "blood splattered" horror has just been completed, which has its first screening over Halloween.

"Being given an opportunity to bring one of Stephen King's novels to life is crazy," said 16-year-old Alfie Evans who will work on the script along with GCSE drama student Cerys Cliff, 14.

Set up in 2017, the not-for-profit film academy aims to train hundreds of youngsters a year in script writing, filming and editing to turn the area into a creative hub.

The Stationary Bike is about an artist cycling to lose weight after being told he has dangerously high cholesterol and entering a trance, where he experiences nightmarish scenarios.

After writing to King, his officials wrote back and offered the academy a Dollar Baby contract to produce a film version.

This is where permission is given in return for US $1.

King previously explained: "Around 1977 or so, when I started having some popular success, I saw a way to give back a little of the joy the movies had given me."

While he is believed to watch them all, because they are not meant to be sold commercially, only about 10 are known to have been made between 1977 and 1996.

Since 2000, King has granted permission for a number to be released.

Budgets have ranged from $100 (£75) to $60,000 (£45,475), with the exposure seen as providing a huge career springboard.

For example, Frank Darabont made The Woman in the Room on a Dollar Baby contract, aged 20 in 1986.

On the back of this, he directed the critically acclaimed Stephen King films The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption.

The Blaenau Gwent Film Academy's first production - Knight of the Blood Moon - has just been finished after costing £10,000 and taking local youngsters five months to write, film and edit.

Tutor Kevin Phillips called it a "blood splattering feast", adding: "Likable characters will have you rooting for their survival in this blood bath of mayhem.

"With no escape, a monster with no remorse, no pity, and a craving for blood is upon them, a vicious game of cat and mouse begins."

It will have its premiere in Tredegar's Little Theatre over Halloween while it has been entered in a number of film festivals.

mae
10-30-2018, 04:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7DGCtlv0yk

mae
11-11-2018, 05:38 PM
http://broadcastprome.com/news/middlesex-university-dubai-wins-rights-to-stephen-kings-dollar-baby-project-stationary-bike/

Author Stephen King has awarded budding filmmakers at Middlesex University Dubai the rights to adapt the short story, Stationary Bike from his book, Just After Sunset for just $1.

The University’s Film and Media Department requested the rights to create a short film based upon the short story by Stephen King under the author’s Dollar Baby programme. The author’s objective is to enable and empower film students and aspiring filmmakers who are trying to make a name for themselves in the industry. Stationary Bike is a streamlined fever dream of a tale, in which an ordinary household object assumes otherworldly powers and a familiar journey takes a terrifying twist.

As per the Dollar Baby contract, students may use the rights to adapt the short story but cannot use it for commercial purposes. They can, however, submit their work for awards and recognition across film festivals that do not hold any monetary value.

Students across years one, two and three will be participating in this project, which will be conducted between December to April 2019 with the final DVD of the short film being shared with Stephen King. This project will be completed under the guidance of the lecturers from the Film and Media Department, and Middlesex University Dubai’s alumni members will also offer their expertise as consultants to render this project into a success.

The adaptation of Stationary Bike will reportedly be completed in-house at the University’s facility, MDX Studios which features industry standard editing suites that includes colour grading suites, editing and VFX suites, ADR Booth, 4K editing facilities and a newly designed integrated learning space that also includes a screening room. MDX Studios is currently the only film university in the Middle East Region to be certified by Blackmagic Design.

As part of an ongoing collaboration with Roxy Cinemas, the final thesis projects of year three students along with the final presentation of the short film based on the short story by Stephen King, Stationary Bike will be showcased in cinema during a private screening.

Commenting on the initiative, Dr Cedwyn Fernandes, Director and Pro Vice-Chancellor of Middlesex University Dubai, said: “We believe in fostering the region’s talent, and this project under Stephen King’s Dollar Baby programme will provide tremendous exposure to our students.” He further added, “We look forward to developing and enhancing our student’s skills through this project under the guidance of our respected and highly experienced faculty and industry partners.”

Speaking about the achievement, Dr David Tully, Head of the Film and Media Department at Middlesex University Dubai said: “It is an honour and an amazing opportunity for our students to adapt the work of the world-famous author. This is not only exciting from the University’s perspective, but it’s also exciting news for the region. Especially with the growing attention towards regional filmmakers.”

King previously granted the rights for The Woman in the Room to writer and director Frank Darabont for a 1983 short film. Darabont went on to write and direct the critically acclaimed 1994 drama The Shawshank Redemption, also a King adaptation, and co-create the AMC horror show The Walking Dead.

Stockerlone
01-15-2019, 04:05 AM
Not a dollar baby but a nice DT movie....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy1b-uh1xnM

Ari_Racing
02-21-2019, 10:36 AM
There's a kickstarter on course to adapt L.T.s' theory of Pets:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1621103703/lts-theory-of-pets-a-short-film/updates

mae
03-15-2019, 04:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyBA7wD1mSU

Bev Vincent
03-31-2019, 04:58 AM
ANNOUNCING the Dollar Baby Film Festival is screening at Northern FanCon!

The Dollar Baby Film Festival will feature 8 shorts from indie filmmakers based on stories by the one and only Stephen King! On hand to open the festival is author, Dollar Baby alumni and Stephen King collaborator - Bev Vincent

The film line-up includes:
The Doctor's Case - Movie, directed by James Douglas
Everything's Eventual directed by J.P. Scott
Survivor Type: A Dollar Baby Adaptation, directed by Billy Hanson
Rainy Season directed by Vanessa Ionta Wright
Rest Stop - Short Film directed by Stephen Baxter
For the Road directed by Simon Scott
I Am The Doorway directed by Simon Pearse
Popsy directed by Jon Mann

This entire selection of amazing films is free to watch in our exclusive screening area as part of Northern FanCon 2019!

Stay tuned for full details on the schedule for the Dollar Baby Film Festival this week.

Northern FanCon is proudly presented by the Prince George Citizen & UNLTD Media & Events

For tickets, head to http://bit.ly/fancontickets

Stockerlone
11-26-2019, 10:30 AM
I only know Darek Kocureks version, this is also nice:

Paranoid - A Chant

herbertwest
11-26-2019, 11:49 AM
That was pretty much THE dollar baby that launched the new wave of dollar babies back in 2000-2002

Bev Vincent
11-26-2019, 12:02 PM

Paranoid - A Chant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pMwSqqc9Ws

I interviewed Jay Holben for Cemetery Dance magazine back in the day.

Br!an
11-26-2019, 01:08 PM

Paranoid - A Chant

If you delete the 's' in https in the URL the video will be playable on site.

Stockerlone
04-06-2020, 08:33 AM
BEACHWORLD - Dollar Baby Short Film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd7HeWs0jVQ&feature=emb_err_watch_on_yt

BEACHWORLD is an authorized Stephen King Dollar Baby, completed in 2019 and released online with permission.

Federation Officer Shapiro crash-lands on a desert planet with no sign of water, life, or a way off. Her crewmate Rand is no help, resigned to his fate on the hypnotic alien dunes. Locating the ship's emergency beacon is their only hope, but when a salvage crew answers their distress signal, it’s already too late.

www.beachworldfilm.com
www.facebook.com/beachworldfilm

Directed by: Jackie Perez
Produced by: Brian Campeau @OneNinth

herbertwest
04-06-2020, 09:02 AM
Am surprised its available online, but thanks !

Stockerlone
10-21-2020, 09:02 AM
I know what you need - Dollar Baby

German + ENG interview with Julia Marchese

http://www.stephen-king.de/div-interviews/interviews-mit-filmemachern/715-interview-mit-julia-marchese.html

fitomad
11-11-2020, 07:20 AM
Umney's Last Case: Sherlock Holmes goes to Barkerville with Stephen King (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/sherlock-holmes-goes-to-barkerville-with-stephen-king-1.3935824)

I think that the dollar baby is "The Doctor's case", not "Umney..." (Dollar baby website (https://www.thedoctorsmovie.com/))

I know that "Umney's last case" was an episode from "Nightmares & Dreamscapes" TV show, but maybe there are a dollar baby adaptation.

Any information about that?

Thanks.

Ari_Racing
11-11-2020, 07:45 AM
There's one, directed by Rodney Altman. It's VERY GOOD.

fitomad
11-11-2020, 07:52 AM
There's one, directed by Rodney Altman. It's VERY GOOD.

Thanks!

I'll try to find it.

amd013
04-08-2021, 07:15 AM
Sorry if this has been mentioned before, please merge if so.

Just saw this article that thought people would be interested in:

https://barkerstreetcinema.ca/dollar-baby-film-festival

Here is direct link to the schedule:

https://barkerstreetcinema.ca/dollar-baby-film-festival

here are links for the stream:

https://vimeo.com/534281778
http://bit.ly/BarkerStreetCinemaYoutubechannel

Bev Vincent
04-08-2021, 07:27 AM
Lots of information here: Unreleased Stephen King Films to Be Screened Online for Free During Spring Festival (https://www.cbr.com/stephen-king-festival-screens-unreleased-films/)

Steve retweeted the above article, so it's on the radar of a lot of people now!

Mattrick
04-08-2021, 03:47 PM
Y u no tell us, Bev?

amd013
04-20-2021, 08:01 AM
does anyone know if these will be available for viewing after the festival? Will probably be busy most of the weekend so will miss much of it.

Bev Vincent
04-20-2021, 10:57 AM
I'll check with James.

Bev Vincent
04-20-2021, 11:10 AM
James responds: "Alas, they will not be available after the initial screenings. It was part of the proposal that we do it like a regular film fest - scheduled showings only."

amd013
04-20-2021, 12:58 PM
Thanks for checking Bev!

Bev Vincent
04-23-2021, 08:32 AM
My interview slot is at 4pm west coast (6 pm Central) on Saturday.

mattgreenbean
04-26-2021, 11:40 AM
After a day to digest the awesome weekend of Dollar Babies, I can say that it go down in my mind as a very memorable weekend. Even though I watched from home, and had to pause when the kids were up during the first couple of films each day, and it kept me up past midnight both Fri and Sat night, it was still pretty worth it. I think the hosts did more than just introduce each film and director or interviewee, they hosted as much as they could as if they were in front of a live audience.

I can't say I was a fan of every film, but there were some incredible versions of King's word put on "film" here. Even the ones that I didn't think were great, you can still give credit to the people who were part of the film as putting effort into a story that no one else has.

It did one thing very well though, light a fire under my ass to get out Night Shift, Everything's Eventual, and all the other short story collections and reread them all.

I feel pretty damn luck to have been able to see all those films that by default won't be viewed by many. The internet did something right this past weekend!

Bev Vincent
04-26-2021, 11:48 AM
It was fun to see not only the films but to hear the filmmakers discussing them. And the haikus were a hilarious impromptu addition -- I even got one about me!

amd013
04-26-2021, 12:11 PM
couldn't watch most of it live, but tried to capture the streams, but ran into technical difficulties on many. Especially the first half of Saturday. So sorry, I missed your interview Bev. (missed everything prior to the Doctor's Case)

Also missed the last 2 on Sunday due to buffering issues.

If you are able to post your interview I would be interested in seeing it. Hopefully it is not bound by the same restriction as the films in that regard.

I still haven't had the opportunity to see most of them, but did watch a few live on Friday.

Bev Vincent
04-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Barker Street will be posting the interviews on their YouTube channel when they get permission and then get them trimmed out of the main feed.

Bev Vincent
04-29-2021, 08:56 AM
Barker Street will be posting the interviews on their YouTube channel when they get permission and then get them trimmed out of the main feed.

Here is my interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biRmitHHQ_Y

CyberGhostface
04-29-2021, 10:01 AM
I saw most of them. Overall it was pretty good. Everything's Eventual was a full-length feature film which was fun. I Am The Door Way had some great practical effects.

It would have been nice if there had been an option to watch the films whenever over the weekend period. Although fortunately with my time zone only the first night went really late and I was able to watch it in bed regardless.

mattgreenbean
04-29-2021, 11:53 AM
I think the fact that King allowed all those films to be shown on youtube at all was the nice part. :biggrin:

I've been waiting for years to see some of those.

Hopefully they'll get to do it again some time in the future. Everybody interacted nicely on the youtube chat while it was going on. So that was encouraging.

CyberGhostface
04-30-2021, 10:43 AM
Not saying it wasn't, it's just unfortunate some people had to stay up until 4 am in their time zone to catch certain films.

Bev Vincent
11-25-2021, 03:55 AM
Sometimes it pays to play by the rules. Other times it is worth pushing against them.

Saratoga filmmaker Spencer Sherry intended to do the former but ended up doing the latter with his latest venture; adaptation of a scary short story by Stephen King called “The Monkey”.

During the pandemic, Sherry wrote a film script with the intention of submitting it to the King’s Dollar Baby program, in which the author grants students and aspiring filmmakers permission (for $ 1) to adapt some of her short stories. . The catch is, they can’t take advantage of their movie adaptations. Several famous directors and filmmakers, such as Frank Darabont (“The Shawshank Redemption”, “The Green Mile”) made their debuts thanks to the program.

“I heard about this program a few years ago from a friend who did it, and I felt like one of his news was available,” Sherry said.

It turns out that “The Monkey” was not part of the program, although Sherry only found out after writing the script. At first he decided to put it aside, but he returned to the script this year and decided to see if anything could be done with it.

“I love my idea for that, I love the story. I’m a huge Stephen King fan, that’s how I got into that,” Sherry said.

He reached out to King’s agent and presented his adaptation of the story.

“[I] first asked for a real business option, ”Sherry said. This was quickly denied.

“So I said, ‘Okay,’ I know I’m not supposed to ask and it says on the website not to ask, but could I extend the Dollar Baby contract? “… I just want to do this because I love the story.

The next day, the contract landed in his inbox, along with a note from King’s assistant explaining how unusual it was for King to grant these rights for a story outside of the usual stories available for the program. Dollar Baby.

According to Sherry, Darabont once had the rights to the story, but let them expire and this will be the first film adaptation of “The Monkey”.

[ Read more (https://tittlepress.com/entertainment/1315871/) ]

herbertwest
11-25-2021, 06:48 AM
The indiegogo campaign (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-monkey-short-film#/)

St. Troy
11-25-2021, 10:50 AM
Could be a cool one; let's hope he resists the typical short-story-adaptation pitfall of expanding on everything.

Bev Vincent
06-10-2022, 03:19 AM
Once again, [Stephen King] is allowing a selection of unreleased films based on his work to be shown free as part of the Stephen King Rules Film Festival...as one of the headline attractions during the Alternating Currents Festival in Davenport (https://www.ourquadcities.com/news/local-news/arts-and-culture/unreleased-stephen-king-films-to-be-shown-in-qc-this-august/).

CyberGhostface
06-14-2022, 07:18 AM
It's also going to be free online like last year.

https://twitter.com/StephenKingRlz/status/1534928548254797824

One thing I've been wondering is why King doesn't allow people to just post them on YouTube without ads. The main stipulation seems to be they can't be released commercially or for profit so that would still be in place. (Although I guess there are those who would try to use loopholes to take advantage of King.)

Bev Vincent
06-14-2022, 08:13 AM
The main issue is preserving the right to sell the rights to a commercial enterprise subsequently. If an adaptation already exists and is posted online, then it's a tough sell to then have a company want to make a motion picture or TV series adaptation.

Br!an
06-14-2022, 02:41 PM
Also, YouTube content creators can't stop YouTube from monetizing the video and taking the ad money for themselves.

Bev Vincent
08-10-2022, 11:42 AM
I'm returning to the Stephen King Rules film festival (https://barkerstreetcinema.ca/stephen-king-rules-film-festival/2022/6/9/st) (a hybrid event this year) -- I'll be interviewed at 4 PM (Central) on Sunday, August 21.

Bev Vincent
08-18-2022, 11:59 AM
The STEPHEN KING RULES Online Film Festival Starts Tomorrow (https://www.fangoria.com/original/the-stephen-king-rules-online-film-festival-starts-tomorrow/)

CyberGhostface
08-18-2022, 02:09 PM
Not to be a Debbie downer again but I’m disappointed they don’t have any schedules beyond the blocks. Last year I was able to set up calendar alerts for the films I wanted to watch and I planned my time accordingly. For example I am only interested in seeing The Jaunt for the first block. Last time it was like “okay it’s on at 6:15, I’ll sign on five minutes early.”

I know it’s free and it’s not the end of the world but the schedule last year was set up perfect provided you were available.

Br!an
08-19-2022, 05:04 AM
This is you YouTube channel that's streaming it.

Barker Street Cinema (https://www.youtube.com/c/BarkerStreetCinema)

amd013
08-19-2022, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know if any of these are repeats from last year? I know I have seen enough versions of the Man who loved flowers to last a lifetime.

CyberGhostface
08-19-2022, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know if any of these are repeats from last year? I know I have seen enough versions of the Man who loved flowers to last a lifetime.

They’re not all repeats but a lot of them are. It’s hard to do a direct match up as the schedule for last year listed the production companies whereas this year lists the directors but there’s definitely overlap.

herbertwest
08-19-2022, 12:51 PM
Most of them are repeat from last year

CyberGhostface
08-19-2022, 06:37 PM
The Rainy Season was short was pretty baffling. They don’t mention the word ‘toad’ once (the old people just warns the couple to stay away) and I don’t think you ever get a good look at any of the toads. You hear toad sounds I guess but there’s no real payoff. It’s probably fair to say that anyone watching it has read the short story but if you haven’t you’re probably going to ask what was supposed to have happened.

There was a dollar baby in 2002 which actually showed the toads (complete with CGI teeth). If that was too much then just throwing rubber toads through the window and maybe one or two up close shots with teeth would have been preferable to what this was.

Br!an
08-20-2022, 12:02 PM
The Rainy Season was short was pretty baffling. They don’t mention the word ‘toad’ once (the old people just warns the couple to stay away) and I don’t think you ever get a good look at any of the toads. You hear toad sounds I guess but there’s no real payoff. It’s probably fair to say that anyone watching it has read the short story but if you haven’t you’re probably going to ask what was supposed to have happened.

There was a dollar baby in 2002 which actually showed the toads (complete with CGI teeth). If that was too much then just throwing rubber toads through the window and maybe one or two up close shots with teeth would have been preferable to what this was.

I agree. It wasn't clear what was happening. If a person hadn't read the story, they'd be confused. I still enjoyed it though.

The Doctor's Case was a hell of a production.

Bev Vincent
08-21-2022, 04:59 AM
[QUOTE=CyberGhostface;1263207]The Doctor's Case was a hell of a production.

I've seen it at least three times and it always impresses. Barker Street does good work. The director will be interviewing me today at 4 pm Central.

CyberGhostface
08-21-2022, 07:12 AM
Sorry if it’s already been answered but would it be possible for your Gotham Cafe dollar baby to be in a future festival?

Bev Vincent
08-21-2022, 07:18 AM
Sorry if it’s already been answered but would it be possible for your Gotham Cafe dollar baby to be in a future festival?

No -- it contains music for which the rights have lapsed and the producers haven't expressed a desire to replace it.

CyberGhostface
08-21-2022, 08:34 AM
Ok, thank you for the response.

Cook
08-21-2022, 11:02 AM
Is it just me or is the streaming quality the worst I’ve ever seen.
I have no idea what I’m doing wrong.
It’s absolutely horrible... WTF

Bev Vincent
08-21-2022, 03:36 PM
Fortunately they had the worst glitches sorted out by the time I came online.

Stockerlone
10-20-2022, 11:33 PM
Stephen - Delver Glass
Dollar Baby Movie DVD
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Chong_Heidersdorf_Knowing_Darkness_Delver_Glass_00 1.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Chong_Heidersdorf_Knowing_Darkness_Delver_Glass_00 2.JPG

Stockerlone
10-20-2022, 11:34 PM
Stephen King - Delver Glass
Dollar Baby Movie DVD
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Chong_Heidersdorf_Knowing_Darkness_Delver_Glass_00 1.JPG
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/742/medium/Chong_Heidersdorf_Knowing_Darkness_Delver_Glass_00 2.JPG

Bev Vincent
12-05-2023, 03:10 AM
The Dollar Baby Program (https://stephenking.com/dollar-baby/) was disbanded in December 2023. Contracts issued before December 2023 will be honored and will remain approved for one year from their instantiation, as per the terms of their contract. There will be no Dollar Baby extensions after December 1st, 2023.

webstar1000
12-05-2023, 04:49 AM
The Dollar Baby Program (https://stephenking.com/dollar-baby/) was disbanded in December 2023. Contracts issued before December 2023 will be honored and will remain approved for one year from their instantiation, as per the terms of their contract. There will be no Dollar Baby extensions after December 1st, 2023.

WOW.. any reason why?

Bev Vincent
12-05-2023, 05:35 AM
None given. I can only surmise that his office no longer wants to deal with the paperwork, etc.

CyberGhostface
12-05-2023, 06:27 AM
Shame, I enjoyed the online festivals over the past few years.

Bev Vincent
12-05-2023, 02:41 PM

WOW.. any reason why?

"Margaret, the Mistress of Dollar Babies, is retiring." -- SK

CyberGhostface
01-22-2024, 09:59 PM
https://movieplayiff.com/i-know-what-you-need/

See the Stephen King Dollar Baby short film "I Know What You Need" by Julia Marchese ONLINE ONLY from Jan 22-27 as part of the Movieplay International Film Festival.

Password: IKnowWhatYouNeed1976

herbertwest
01-23-2024, 12:50 AM
Quite a good one actually. I like the visual aspects of her work

Herbie_Marsten
01-29-2024, 12:31 AM
Looked Awesome from what I could see on 28th, a day late.

Anyhow the opening scenes Looked like Fogler Library, UMO?

Lot guy
01-30-2024, 07:58 PM
Thank you for posting that I enjoyed watching!!