PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Hitchcock, TDT.org's The Greatest Director !

fernandito
10-28-2010, 03:19 PM
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/alfred_hitchcock.jpg

You voted for him, and here he is ! The Master of Suspense was virtually an unstoppable force this tournament, knocking out cinematic heavyweights the likes of Frank Capra and Francis Ford Coppola, as well as dispatching fan favorite Christopher Nolan in the final to become TDT.org's The Greatest Director Champion !

I'd like to send a special thanks to my girl Heather for helping me organize the tournament, she was an integral part of this shindig and I couldn't have done it without her :wub:

And of course, I'd like to thank the legion of constant voters that filled each and every thread with thoughtful, exuberantly fanboyish/girlish ( :D ) posts ! I hope you all discovered something - a director, an actor, a movie, anything - that you wouldn't have thought to look into prior to the start of the tournament. I hope you all had as much fun participating as I had organizing it. :)

Heather19
10-28-2010, 03:37 PM
And thank you Feev for running the tournament :huglove:

I love these. I always find some new films to seek out. And I love the discussions they bring about.

Still Servant
10-28-2010, 05:27 PM
A big thanks to Feev and Heather. I know it's a lot of work, but we all had a great time.

Congrats to Hitch. He was my pick all the way. Nolan was on an unbelievable run there for a while, but I'm glad he didn't win. He's a great director and I hope there are more great things from him in the future. I just don't think he's the best just yet.

The best would have to be Quentin Tarantino. Right Heather?
:evil:

Just kidding :lol:

Odetta
10-28-2010, 06:52 PM
:excited:

Emily
10-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks to Fernando and Heather! :grouphug: Had a great time doing this. And hooray for Hitchcock!

Jean
10-28-2010, 11:45 PM
thank you friends!!! Hitchcock is certainly [one of] the [three] best director[s] ever!

now, for the greatest actor/actress of all times?...

Mattrick
10-29-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm guessing Polanski is in there too? And Kurosawa?

Jean
10-29-2010, 12:48 AM
you're absolutely correct

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-29-2010, 12:54 AM
thank you friends!!! Hitchcock is certainly [one of] the [three] best director[s] ever!

Why bother, I'm sure it must be Heath Ledger.

pathoftheturtle
10-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Congratulations to Sir Alfred Hitchcock. http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/POTT2007/smileys/salute.gif

Glad see it!

Thanks for the fun tourney. :)

gsvec
10-29-2010, 02:37 PM

Why bother, I'm sure it must be Heath Ledger.
:rofl:

Jean
10-29-2010, 10:12 PM
please please explain the joke to an outsider!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Reflecting the support for Nolan over every other director (besides Hitch) in history, I can't see how a tourney for best actor could go any other way. The winner would likely be some recent, trendy, actor (Ledger, Bale, Viggo....etc.) and actors with countless classic performances under their belt would be dismissed.

Jean
10-29-2010, 10:34 PM
but we finally got Hitchcock anyway, so there's still some hope...

frik
10-30-2010, 05:34 AM

I think my vote would go to either Laurence Olivier or Alec Guinness.
Best actress....hm.....

sk

Jean
10-30-2010, 05:38 AM
Alec Guinness seconded

sorry feverish... we just can't stop tournament-ing...

turtlex
10-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Thank you so much, Feev.

And thanks to Heather for helping out, as well.

And a special :grouphug: thank you to all the people who participated and made this such a fun tourney for me. Whether we agreed or not, I always - always - enjoyed all of our conversations.

Jean
10-30-2010, 08:18 AM
hear, hear

Mattrick
10-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I'd be inclined to vote for some of these guys greatest actor or all time and would be happy if anyone of them won.

Charlie Chaplin
Humphrey Bogart
Daniel Day Lewis
Jack Nicholson
Phillip Seymour Hofman
Alec Guiness
Robert DeNiro
Al Pacino

We should do a DT.org Razzies also. My vote would be Mark Hamill.

frik
10-31-2010, 09:54 AM
Jack Nicholson can only play Jack Nicholson. He must be the most overrated actor ever!

sk

Mattrick
10-31-2010, 09:58 AM
Obviously you've never seen About Schmidt.

And I had no idea you were such close friends with Jack to know what he's like! Can you get me his autograph? Maybe the seat next to his at the Staples Center?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-31-2010, 07:03 PM
yeah RP McMurphy and Col. Jessup are practically the same characterc. And they are both carbon copies of Jack Torrence.

[ he types sarcastically]

pathoftheturtle
11-04-2010, 07:46 AM
Obviously you've never seen About Schmidt.I'm impressed that you have, Mattrick. Another good example would be Terms of Endearment. I really don't believe Jack's overrated, though frik is right that he's no Laurence Olivier.