PDA

View Full Version : Comic Fans Questionnaire!

Lisey Landon
10-20-2010, 08:03 AM
1. Favorite Writer and Why?
2. Favorite Artist and Why?
3. Favorite Single Issue?
4. Favorite Story Arc?
5. Best Villian?
6. Best Hero?
7. Best Heroine?
8. Biggest Surprise Storyline?
9. All Time Favorite "Team" ( X-Men, Avengers, JLA, etc )?
10. Best Film made of a comic character ?
11. Favorite Graphic Novel?
12. Comic You'd Most Like To See Made Into A Movie?
13. Best Death?
14. Best Re-Birth?
15. Most Influential Comic book?
16. Pick Your Superhero Name and explain why?
17. Favorite Superhero ability?
18. Best Side-Kick?
19. Who do you wish would get their own title?
20. Build Your Comic Character Dream Team

turtlex
10-20-2010, 08:20 AM
Whowhoo!

I think I have to go with Frank Miller here ... because he brought humanity to superheroes.

Erin
10-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Neil Gaiman.....The Sandman.....enough said. :p

fernandito
10-20-2010, 09:15 AM
A comics challenge !? :excited:

Yes.

YES.

YES.

fernandito
10-20-2010, 09:15 AM

Neil Gaiman, for The Sandman series alone.

Runner Up - Grant Morrison. The man is a psychotic genius.

OchrisO
10-20-2010, 12:53 PM

I would normally say Neil Gaiman, because of not only The Sandman, but because of The Books of Magic. Gaiman is my favorite novelist for certain. However, I have been reading an insane amount of Warren Ellis stuff lately and I think he might win right now.

Warren Ellis has a whole host of amazing comics that influenced my choice:

Transmetropolitan
Doktor Sleepless
The Authority
Planetary
Global Frequency
Freak Angels(which is published online for free here: http://www.freakangels.com)
No Hero
Fell
Black Summer

fernandito
10-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Chris - have you read The Invisibles by Morrison ?

OchrisO
10-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Chris - have you read The Invisibles by Morrison ?

I haven't. That is one of those comics that I always mean to get to, but never seem to get around to it. I'll put it next on my list.

fernandito
10-20-2010, 03:00 PM
You should check it out, it's definitely right up your alley. Think of it as an NC-17 version of the Matrix, the events unfolding before you while you're on acid :lol:

OchrisO
10-20-2010, 04:07 PM
You should check it out, it's definitely right up your alley. Think of it as an NC-17 version of the Matrix, the events unfolding before you while you're on acid :lol:

Sounds awesome.
Have you read Transmetropolitan?

Emily
10-20-2010, 04:14 PM
Neil Gaiman, for The Sandman. Though Garth Ennis is making his way up the list for me with everything I read of his.

WeDealInLead
10-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Warren Ellis. Even has superhero stuff (Batman, FF etc) has that dark sense of humor. He's also relatively sciency and you get to learn a thing or two and he has a way with words for sure. I have around 50 trades and hardcovers of his.

Emily
10-20-2010, 04:46 PM
Though Garth Ennis is making his way up the list for me with everything I read of his.

Holy jeez, this sentence sounds awful now that I'm rereading it. I hate when that happens.

I really need to read more stuff by Warren Ellis. I'll make a point of it this weekend.

OchrisO
10-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Warren Ellis. Even has superhero stuff (Batman, FF etc) has that dark sense of humor. He's also relatively sciency and you get to learn a thing or two and he has a way with words for sure. I have around 50 trades and hardcovers of his.

:clap:
Do you like Doktor Sleepless? I love the sort of Mad Scientist vibe of that book. I considered being Doktor Sleepless for Halloween this year.

Though Garth Ennis is making his way up the list for me with everything I read of his.

Holy jeez, this sentence sounds awful now that I'm rereading it. I hate when that happens.

I really need to read more stuff by Warren Ellis. I'll make a point of it this weekend.
Transmetro! :)

Sam
10-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Garth Ennis because he made The Punisher into the story that it should have been all along, and I don't mean that Marvel Knights stuff either. I mean the MAX series.

Bendis is right there with him for two reasons. #1- Alias (the comic series, not the show) and #2- Powers. If you haven't read these, you NEED to remedy that issue.

OchrisO
10-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Garth Ennis because he made The Punisher into the story that it should have been all along, and I don't mean that Marvel Knights stuff either. I mean the MAX series.

Bendis is right there with him for two reasons. #1- Alias (the comic series, not the show) and #2- Powers. If you haven't read these, you NEED to remedy that issue.

Powers is all kinds of awesome.

Lisey Landon
10-20-2010, 11:24 PM
A comics challenge !? :excited:

Yes.

YES.

YES.

:lol: You have the lovely Pam to thank for it. I mentioned that I wanted to do a comics challenge and hey presto, she had one written up in quite literally a flash :D :thumbsup:

Emily
10-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Jack Kirby. There are a lot of artists I love now, but Jack Kirby's illustrations are what got me into comics in the first place. Even now, whenever I sketch comic book characters, I always do them in the same style as his drawings (especially Thor). And I'm still a sucker for the old school covers.

OchrisO
10-21-2010, 12:19 AM

Gah, this is a tough one. There are so many. This is something that changes for me almost monthly.

Lately I have been really fond of Riley Rossmo who draws the Image comic Proof.
Spoiler tags just to keep images hidden:
http://thequarterbin.com/wp-content/uploads/prooftrade04_cover.jpg
http://comicrelated.com/graphics/solicits/image/aug09/Proof23-Cover.jpg

There is just something about his style that really draws me in. I wouldn't mind being covered in tattoos from the Proof comic.

Darkthoughts
10-21-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm going to have to say Gaiman aswell. My other contenders were Alan Moore and Grant Morrison, but Gaiman just reached me on a level that I hadn't experienced with comics before.

Jamie Hewlett, no contest. I have loved him ever since Tank Girl first appeared in Deadline back in the late 80's, his style is so recognisable and because it's so fun and trippy you almost overlook how talented he really is. I love his little trademark easter eggs too, like there'll be characters wearing buttons with pop culture phrases from movies he was into, or bands he liked and all kinds of weird stuff going on in the background of a frame. Genius :wub:

turtlex
10-21-2010, 02:10 AM

Gonna go with my current favorite : JH Williams III

He's just amazing. He's working on the new Batwoman and ink'd the Batwoman run of Detective Comics.

Just a small example of his work ... this was a double page in the Detective Comics run :
http://www.jhwilliams3.com/images/200907/det858p12-13.jpg

He just won the Eisner Award for his work in Detective Comics, I think he's brilliant.

One of my prized possessions is an original commission piece I own. We asked him to show to duality of the Batwoman superhero and her alter-ego Kate Kane .... this is what he came up with :
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/605/medium/kate_comm_crop.JPG

Plus, I've interacted with him, and he's just a super cool guy.

WeDealInLead
10-21-2010, 05:01 AM
[QUOTE=OchrisO;559805Do you like Doktor Sleepless? I love the sort of Mad Scientist vibe of that book. I considered being Doktor Sleepless for Halloween this year.

[/QUOTE]

yes and i wish he'd finish the second storyline already.

Sam
10-21-2010, 08:45 AM
PLUS you have that ubercool remarque that totally looks like it was always there in the endpages of the book.

flaggwalkstheline
10-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Brian Michael Bendis- He writes ultimate spiderman, IMHO the best comic series of the last decade in addition to writing an insane amount of other marvel books

turtlex
10-21-2010, 09:15 AM
PLUS you have that ubercool remarque that totally looks like it was always there in the endpages of the book.

Yes, this is so very true. I'm a great admirer of his work... and I've been very lucky with regards to him being accessible and kind to me.

ETA: This is the remarque to which Sam refers. It's just so very cool, and was a total surprise. JHW3 did the remarque as all on his own... I was blown away.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/594/medium/DSC03000.JPG

Lisey Landon
10-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Niiice! I love it when fans and artists/writers get to interact on that level :clap:

OchrisO
10-22-2010, 02:58 AM
Niiice! I love it when fans and artists/writers get to interact on that level :clap:

The Sandman #27

Darkthoughts
10-22-2010, 11:45 AM
2000AD Prog 701 - it contained the first episode of Hewligan's Haircut, an awesome short story arc by Peter Milligan and Jamie Hewlett.

fernandito
10-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Amazing Spider Man # 697

Yaksha
10-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Final Crisis: Legion of 3 Worlds #4
it was the return of my fave hero Superboy

turtlex
10-23-2010, 04:31 AM

Oh, this is tough.

About seven single issues, from all different kinds of comics, jumped into my head, but I think I'll have to pick X-Men # 137, which is the issue where we witness the death of Jean Grey / Phoenix - where she sacrifices herself to save the universe. .

Lisey Landon
10-23-2010, 04:37 AM
That's a good one!

4. Favorite Story Arc?

turtlex
10-23-2010, 04:49 AM
Yes, it's part of my favorite .....

4. Favorite Story Arc?

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga

:thumbsup:

Thanks for doing this challenge, Lisey. I love talking comics! :huglove:

Darkthoughts
10-23-2010, 10:50 AM
World's End - The Sandman

OchrisO
10-23-2010, 11:52 AM
That's a good one!

4. Favorite Story Arc?

The Sandman: The Kindly Ones

turtlex
10-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Sandman is awesome! Love seeing people listing that!

Lisey Landon
10-24-2010, 02:45 AM

No, thank you! :couple:

5. Best Villian?

Darkthoughts
10-24-2010, 03:09 AM
5. Best Villian?

Jack The Ripper in Alan Moore's From Hell.

OchrisO
10-24-2010, 05:56 AM

No, thank you! :couple:

5. Best Villian?

The Joker.
Not Hollywood Joker, though.

The Killing Joke Joker.

A Death in the Family Joker.

Arkham Asylum Joker.

Etc, etc.

Darkthoughts
10-24-2010, 09:10 AM
:thumbsup: I was going to put The Joker, specifically from The Killing Joke. It's Alan Moore all the way :cool:

turtlex
10-24-2010, 10:01 AM
5. Best Villian?

Hmmm. This is a tough one.

Galactus is pretty awesome, being a World Eater and all. :lol: Also, Kingpin from Daredevil is good. And Magneto. So is the Joker from TKJ. And The Dark Phoenix is a great villian, but I'm disqualifying her because of Jean Grey living within and overcoming the evil.

I think, ultimately, that I'm going to pick Venom.

Sam
10-24-2010, 12:17 PM

Wow, I had no idea how hard this question would be. I had to think for a few days on this, and my favorite artist is Darryl Banks. His artwork made me want to read the books he did. His artwork was the reason I started reading Green Lantern again. There's a lot of artist that I really like, but I think his work really is my favorite.

3. Favorite Single Issue?[/B]
The Amazing Spider-Man #248: The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man This was one of the most poignant pieces I have read in my entire life. I don't see that changing... ever.

[B]4. Favorite Story Arc?
Kingdom Come. Nuff said.

5. Best Villian?
The Legion of Doom? This is a very intriguing question here. Do you go on how the villain has impacted the comic world around them, how smart they are, how successful, how crazy, how sane? What do you go on? Why stick with just DC and Marvel? Sure they have the biggest pool of villains to choose from, but are they the worst? What about the zombies from The Walking Dead or The Governor? What about Overlord from The Savage Dragon? With all those questions, and I think I'll go with the one who has had the largest impact. For all his size and threat, Galactus hasn't really done much to the heroes of Earth besides threaten them. Hank Henshaw helped destroy an entire city, but he's a lame character. So is Mogul btw. Darseid is actually on a different level, and I wouldn't call him a complete villain.

So I think I'm going with The Joker. He is a complete villain totally intersted in only his amusement. He has no rules and no limits. Whatever he wants is a good idea to him, and that can't be a good thing.

Lisey Landon
10-25-2010, 02:38 AM
6. Best Hero?

Specifically male, the ladies are up next ;)

turtlex
10-25-2010, 03:17 AM
6. Best Hero?

Matt Murdock / Daredevil Comics - Daredevil was the first comic series I started reading ( and lucky me, it was during the Frank Miller runs ) and I was immediately captivated. I liked that the fought the bad guys as a lawyer, and then as a super-hero. I liked that he was so very full of angst and conflict.

I have a bunch of other favorites, but Daredevil has to top my list.

( Daredevil, Wolverine, Spidey, Gambit, Green Lantern ( Hal Jordan ), Cap, etc )

Brainslinger
10-25-2010, 09:20 AM
5. Best Villain?

Probably Judge Death from Judge Dredd. An undead Judge from a parallel universe who has decided that, due to the fact all crime is committed by the living, life is a crime punishable by death. (To practice what he preaches he and his Dark Judge brethren underwent a procedure which effectively killed them all but brought them back as reanimated corpses.) He and the other dark judges are responsible for the complete genocide of his own world and millions in Mega City One.

Another contender, I think would be PJ Maybe. He's a super intelligent sociapathic multi-murderer who actually managed to become Mayor of Mega City One (by taking the original mayors place). Strangely he was actually very good at the job and was well loved by the citizens and respected by Judge Dredd himself (before his real identity came out).

He is a much more 3 dimensional character than than Judge Death, (as shown by the genuine affection he feels for his lover android. Yes she's a robot, but she doesn't look like one) but his cold blooded murders are all the more chilling for that. Judge Dredd has quite a small reoccurring rogues gallery as, unlike the big two heroes, he tends to kill his enemies. The Dark Judges managed it because they're effectively disembodied spirits. When their bodies are destroyed they can find another. P J is a normal human... and he's managed to stay alive. (He's in the cubes at present, managing to get around the death penalty.)

Out of the big two I'd say The Joker is probably the best villain. Is it okay that I've picked three? Heh.

Best Hero

Got to be Superman. He isn't the most interesting perhaps, but he seems to encapsulate all that a superhero should be. And that's even before you take his great powers into account. I think I prefer Batman as a character, but in the sense of being the best at being a hero, I'd go with Supers.

Actually, his sheer invulnerability makes me wonder if I should pick someone else since Superman is at less risk than most other heroes, (curious what criteria one could base 'best' on, isn't it?) but it's as much his personality as his powers that I'm basing this on. I suppose Captain America could fit that profile as he's got Superman's attitude but he is pretty low powered compared to most heroes. He's not a particular favourite character of mine, but in the encapsulation of what it is to be a hero, he is way up there. I'll stick with Superman though. He has encountered plenty of villains as strong, even stronger than himself and has almost died plenty of times. Even the (physically) weaker villains often manage to get hold of kryptonite, rendering him weaker than most people.

Best Story Arc
Difficult to say as there are plenty I like. As a favourite rather than the favourite, I am going to go with The Ballad of Halo Jones book 3. Incidentally all three are available in one paperback volume (actually I think there's been a recent reprinting) . I'd highly recommend it if you'd like to read something a bit different. One of the least known of Alan Moore's works, but personally I think it's up there. Don't let the lack of colour in the artwork put you off.

fernandito
10-25-2010, 10:29 AM
4. Favorite Story Arc?

The Amazing Spiderman - One More Day ... roflol , jk. :D

Probably the X-Men's The Messiah Complex.

5. Best Villain?

The Joker, definitely. He's Batman's opposite in every conceivable way - visually, thematically, conceptually. He represents the chaos that Batman so desperately tries to eradicate, and a threat to the order that bats strives to preserve.

6. Best Hero

Batman. I find the story of an ordinary (and by ordinary I mean no powers) man training and perfecting himself mentally and physically to battle the evil that twisted his life much more alluring and compelling than most other, super powered heroes.

Darkthoughts
10-25-2010, 12:16 PM
6. Best Hero?

Slaine. I loved those stories to death when I was younger.

OchrisO
10-25-2010, 01:48 PM
6. Best Hero?

Specifically male, the ladies are up next ;)

Mark Grayson/Invincible wins out as of late.

Sam
10-25-2010, 07:13 PM
6. Best Hero?

Spider-Man. With great power comes great responsibility. This was the lesson that Uncle Ben taught Peter Parker, and the lesson that was taught to many kids since the 60's. Spidey has been the eternal everyman of Marvel Comics and a far, far better hero than Superman if only by virtue of Peter having a much more realistic life with bills, woman trouble, and regular issues.

Lisey Landon
10-26-2010, 04:20 AM
7. Best Heroine?

turtlex
10-26-2010, 05:17 AM
Thanks, Lisey! :wub:

7. Best Heroine?

Of course, I've been thinking on this one since yesterday. I am stuck with two of my favorite characters. The first is Jean Grey, whom I think is one of the best written characters in comics. The other is Rogue... who has more angst than just about any other comic character - which of course makes her a favorite of mine. I did put some consideration into Wonder Woman, since she's so iconic, but honestly - she's almost too "old school" for me. My current favorite heroine is Kate Kane / Batwoman, but I'm not sure I can call her the best, not yet anyways. She has a narrow, short history so far.

Ultimately, I've decided that there is no better heroine than one who will sacrifice her own life to save the universe, therefore - JEAN GREY it is! :thumbsup:

OchrisO
10-26-2010, 08:36 AM
7. Best Heroine?

Emma Frost

Which is a nice counterbalance to Pam's Jean Grey.

X-23 was a close second.

It is odd that they are both X characters, since I don't read X titles with near as much frequency as I used to.

fernandito
10-26-2010, 09:23 AM
7. Best Heroine?

Agent 355, Y : The Last Man.

OchrisO
10-26-2010, 09:33 AM
7. Best Heroine?

Good call, because of scenes like this:

http://girlsgonegeek.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/tumblr_l3pf09xmhl1qzsywlo1_500.jpg

turtlex
10-26-2010, 09:43 AM
7. Best Heroine?

Wow. Good call. Very good call.

fernandito
10-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I love 355. Her perennial loyalty, her combat skills, her witty-bickering with Yorick, her awesome origin story, she's such a great character.

It's strange that I have a vast gallery of super powered individuals to choose from, yet I always opt for characters that are a bit more grounded in reality :orely:

Sam
10-26-2010, 06:43 PM
7. Best Heroine?

This is really a tough one. I don't want to go with one of the obvious choices like Wonder Woman or Supergirl, but they are such really complex characters. Instead I think I'll go with someone else... Martha Washington.

Lisey Landon
10-27-2010, 12:39 AM

turtlex
10-27-2010, 02:48 AM

I loved the Age of Apocalypse storyline from X-Universe. It was very well written, and even though it was an "alternate" universe kind of deal, it rippled across all of the Marvelverse. There was a big surprise death and nice plot turns. It was a great arc.

Quick AofA Synopsis from Wiki :
Legion (David Haller), a powerful psionic mutant on Earth and son of Professor Charles Xavier, travels back in time with the intention of killing Magneto. He believes Magneto's death will allow Xavier to achieve his dream of human/mutant equality. However, Legion traveled to a time when Magneto and Xavier were still friends. Xavier dies trying to protect Magneto, Legion vanishes, and a new time-line is created. The only person aware of how history has changed is Bishop, a time traveling mutant who followed Legion.

Because of Xavier's sacrifice, Magneto comes to believe in his late friend's dream of a peaceful coexistence between humans and mutants. Apocalypse, an immortal mutant villain, was monitoring the fight. He chooses this moment as the perfect time to begin his world conquest, which did not happen in the regular Marvel Universe for another ten years.

Magneto assembles the X-Men just as Apocalypse begins his war. Despite the X-Men's resistance, Apocalypse conquers all of North America and initiates a worldwide genocidal campaign of "cullings" that kill millions of non-mutant humans.

OchrisO
10-27-2010, 03:24 AM
X-Cutioner's Song
because of the

introduction of the Legacy Virus, which lead to the infection and death of a young Illyana Rasputin, and Colossus sacrificing himself later because a mutant needed to die to create the cure and he didn't want anyone else to suffer as his sister did.

turtlex
10-27-2010, 03:41 AM
X-Cutioner's Song
because of the

introduction of the Legacy Virus, which lead to the infection and death of a young Illyana Rasputin, and Colossus sacrificing himself later because a mutant needed to die to create the cure and he didn't want anyone else to suffer as his sister did.

Nice. Yup. Very nice.

Sam
10-27-2010, 06:21 PM

I'm going with the Mutants Massacre. Such a level of violence was really unheard of in a Marvel comic that was at the time geared toward kids. Also, it brought on the HUGE surprise of the suicide of Angel, which brought about the ENORMOUS surprise of Angel being revealed as Apocalypse's fourth horseman, Death.

Of course, Emerald Twilight was a HUGE shocker to me also. I mean, Hal Jordan going crazy and killing off the Guardians. I never saw that coming. I wish comics had such huge surprises like that today. Now many of the storyline turns are visible from miles away. Or they are immediately retconned into nonexistence. Bringing Hal Jordan back and retconning all that just cheapened it all form me. I thought turning him into a villain was the best thing they could ever do for stale, bland Hal. It even made sense. Then they retcon the whole damn thing and... agggh. I'm rambling and will shut up now.

Lisey Landon
10-28-2010, 02:12 AM

turtlex
10-28-2010, 02:49 AM
Nice, Sam! Very nice. Hal. :sigh:

You know - I was thinking this over, and I might have to change my answer to the 8. Biggest Surprise Storyline? question. The recent CIVIL WAR storyline was chock full of surprises ( and of course ended with that HUGE surprise ). So, I'm going to go with the Civil War arc from Marvel for the Biggest Surprise.

Of course, I'm going with X-Men, but I will name a specific "X-MEN" team, because there are many incarnations, as I'm sure you know.

I'm going with the X-Men team that appeared in the X-Tinction Agenda story arc, which is actually a mixture of teams. It's one of my favorite stories, and the team included about all my favorite individual X-Men.

Actually, if Jean Grey and Rogue had been featured, you could have rolled me up in those issues and put me away happy. :blush:

Here's the Plot from Wiki - it's a good write up and explains the arc, if you don't know it, and lists the super-team involved :

Taking place immediately after the events of the 1990 crossover "Days of Future Present", a group of Genoshan Magistrates (soldiers of the country of Genosha), backed by the cyborg Cameron Hodge, and including an amnesiac Havok (a member of the X-Men), attack the X-Mansion and kidnap Storm and the New Mutants Warlock, Boom Boom, Rictor, and Wolfsbane. They are taken to Genosha naked and weak. Warlock is killed and Storm and Wolfsbane are brainwashed, turned into mindless mutate slaves, which form the backbone of the Genoshan economy and lifestyle. Cable, the New Mutants, Gambit, Forge, and Banshee recruit X-Factor and head to Genosha to save their teammates. They are soon joined by Wolverine, Psylocke, and Jubilee, who independently head to Genosha to rescue their friends.

ELazansky
10-28-2010, 07:59 AM
OK, so I haven't read any modern comics in quite a while, so some of my answers may be a little old school.

1. Favorite Author - Alan Moore. I mean, Watchmen and V for Vendetta are two of the best in my book. Neil Gaiman and Frank Miller are right there as well.

2. Favorite Artist and Why? - Alex Ross. His realism just blows me away. Always been a big fan of Todd McFarlane as well.

3. Favorite Single Issue? I don't think I could ever pick one issue as a favorite. I've read far too many to single one out.

4. Favorite Story Arc? Daredevil Born Again #227-233. Watchmen and Moonshadow are great as well, but they were really stand alone "maxi-series", so I don't know if they would be considered a story arc. Kingdom Come is cool as well.

5. Best Villian? - The Joker. Hands down the best bad guy there is, depending on whose doing the storytelling.

6. Best Hero - Spawn. Maybe he's not considered a classic hero, but I always rooted for him.

Sam
10-28-2010, 09:02 AM

The Boys. I never was a big fan of the teams (except the X-Men) as they always felt forced. Seven individuals with individual titles, how the hell did they have time to get together? But The Boys are like the X-Men in that they were created to be a team from the beginning. There's intrigue among the members, mystery, and my man Garth Ennis directing it all. Sure he gets too outragoues with his creations from time to time, but he sure makes a compelling team dynamic.

And that is a GREAT pic for X-teams Pam. One of my favorite X-Men storylines.

turtlex
10-28-2010, 09:32 AM
OK, so I haven't read any modern comics in quite a while, so some of my answers may be a little old school.

1. Favorite Author - Alan Moore. I mean, Watchmen and V for Vendetta are two of the best in my book. Neil Gaiman and Frank Miller are right there as well.

2. Favorite Artist and Why? - Alex Ross. His realism just blows me away. Always been a big fan of Todd McFarlane as well.

4. Favorite Story Arc? Daredevil Born Again #227-233. Watchmen and Moonshadow are great as well, but they were really stand alone "maxi-series", so I don't know if they would be considered a story arc. Kingdom Come is cool as well.

Awesome choice for Story Arc! Just awesome! Daredevil. :wub:

And yeah, Alex Ross - He'd be higher on my list if he did more issue work and not just covers.

Kudos, too, for Alan Moore for those who chose him.

:thumbsup:

The Boys. I never was a big fan of the teams (except the X-Men) as they always felt forced. Seven individuals with individual titles, how the hell did they have time to get together? But The Boys are like the X-Men in that they were created to be a team from the beginning. There's intrigue among the members, mystery, and my man Garth Ennis directing it all. Sure he gets too outragoues with his creations from time to time, but he sure makes a compelling team dynamic.

And that is a GREAT pic for X-teams Pam. One of my favorite X-Men storylines.

Ennis? No, really!!?? :couple:

And thanks, Sam. X-Tinction Agenda is often overlooked, because there have been so many very cool arcs, but it's one of my favs, too.

OchrisO
10-28-2010, 04:48 PM
X-Tinction Agenda was almost my pic for #8, but there weren't really any big surprises in it. It is certainly one of my favorite X-arcs, though. I still have most of the original issues somewhere, though they are in rough shape because I got them when I was in 7th grade or so and have read the all over and over.

Sam
10-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Ennis? No, really!!?? :couple:

And thanks, Sam. X-Tinction Agenda is often overlooked, because there have been so many very cool arcs, but it's one of my favs, too.

Damn right Ennis. One of my favorite characters has always been The Punisher and Ennis breathed LIFE into the character with his run on the MAX series. Not that outrageous stuff that he did with the Marvel Knights line that was just him trying to recreate the magic of Preacher for Marvel without any of the sex or bad language. Sometimes he came up with good stories, sometimes not that good. When Marvel finally gave him the room to run with the story and do what he needed to to bring the character to the truth behind Frank Castle, he brought magic to the page.

There have been four really good storylines that have had far reaching impacts on the entire Marvel Universe to come from the X-Men series. Days of Future Past, Dark Phoenix Saga, Mutant Massacre, and X-tinction Agenda. People who weren't there don't know X-tinction Agenda is where Cameron Hodge turned into an actual threat. They don't know where Genosha came from and what the history really is without reading that story. There have been many stories from the X-Men books, but few of the stories really had an impact on the entire Marvel Universe like those stories did.

Most of the current stuff seems to get retconned every three years or so, or maybe it just seems that way.

Lisey Landon
10-29-2010, 01:17 AM

Darkthoughts
10-29-2010, 01:37 AM
7. Best Heroine?
Rogue. Always.

I don't have one, none of the comics I ever followed really went for this angle in a major way.

Doom Patrol, because they were misfits in the truest sense of the word. Cliff and Jane are two of my favourite characters ever.

Weeeell, I'm not normally a fan of book to movie adaptations, and even less so comic to movie. The X Men movie boiled my blood, Anna Paquin was beyond rubbish as Rogue and let's not even talk about Tank Girl!! :scared:

So, ummmm...I think I'll go for the first Superman movie :D It's not the most amazing film in the world ever, but it's good fun and we watched it over and over as kids and I think it still stands the test of time.

fernandito
10-29-2010, 06:25 AM

The Dark Knight. No contest.

Darkthoughts
10-29-2010, 08:01 AM
So bizarre! I had this like, spooky feeling you'd say that! :P

fernandito
10-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Am I that predicatable ? :blush:

Darkthoughts
10-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Only where Nolan's concerned :D :couple:

Sam
10-29-2010, 09:17 AM

I think I'm going with Lisa on this one and sticking with Superman The Movie. That portrayal simply IS Superman. What more do you need?

Spider-Man 2 was pretty damn good too come to think of it.

OchrisO
10-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Lisey Landon
10-30-2010, 04:24 AM

ELazansky
10-30-2010, 04:29 AM

X-Men - God Loves, Man Kills. I think this is one of the single best stories I've ever read.

Darkthoughts
10-30-2010, 04:30 AM

This is really hard. So, I think I'll go for my current favourite and say any three of the Locke and Key graphic novels so far. I am enjoying them so much it's untrue.

OchrisO
10-30-2010, 04:44 AM

The Dark Knight Returns

This was of course released initially as four separate comic issues, but that is the case with most graphic novels. I actually kind of hate that term. I think most comic fans just call them comics.

Brainslinger
10-30-2010, 06:56 AM

This is really hard.

I agree. I don't so much have one favourite as a few.

I like the Sandman books, but I forget the names so can't really pick one specifically. Besides, each book often has a few stories (depending on the volume).

Apart from that it will probably be The Ballad of Halo Jones or V for Vendetta by Alan Moore. (I don't actually own the latter yet! I bought Watchmen first, partly because of the recent popularity due to the film, which I enjoyed. It is a good book too, but I think V for V might just top it for me.

turtlex
10-30-2010, 07:38 AM

This isn't easy for me. For one thing, I'm probably the only person who actually enjoys all the X-Men movies. I know they're not exactly works of art, but I love watching them. I love trying to name all the Mutants in cameo appearances. I've seen them all so many times - I just think they're fun, good, entertainment.

I'm going to go with the first X-Men movie. For a couple of reasons, but mostly because it contains one of my favorite X-Men movie moments ....

Rogue: ( looking at Logan's hands ) When they come out ... does it hurt?
Logan : Every time.

I do agree with Lisa, 100%, that Anna Paquin is horrible as Rogue, though. I really think that was bad casting. However, Hugh Jackman is a great Wolverine. And the rest of the cast really is pretty good : Patrick Stewart is aweome as Prof X. Ian McKellan as Magneto, super. And, Famke Janssen as Jean Grey. :wub:

This is another tough one, but I'm going to move away from superheros here and go with Maus. It's an amazing GN.

Sam
10-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Wow Pam. I thought I had the one for me and you went and tossed Maus in and threw me all off. Great pick. Btw, I've seen all three X-Men films too and really enjoy them. Jonah Hex wasn't horrid either.

I'm still going with Kingdom Come, but thanks to Pam I am now seriously doubting my choice.

turtlex
10-30-2010, 08:35 AM
Heck, I'm gonna step up here like an intervention, basically, I love all the comic books movies. It would take something seriously bad to make me hate it. I even enjoyed ... Daredevil and Elektra ... pssst. Don't tell anyone! :lol: Actually, there's a directors cut of Daredevil that is actually a pretty good movie. Elektra is eye candy, but I have no problem with that. And, I laugh out loud at the cheesy-goodness of the Fantastic Four movies... they know how bad they are, and they embrace that!!

I mean, there are some that I don't quite understand the direction they took - Ang Lee's Hulk?!? Um. Hello?!????? But I still went and saw them, and as much as I shook my head - I did like them and felt entertained and it's the genre I love so much. Even Iron Man 2, which I felt was mostly crap and big let down after how much I enjoyed the first one - I liked it. :blush:

Seriously bad = Catwoman. Please. Don't do that again. Ever.

Sam, as you and I both know so very well --- picking a favorite GN is a hard thing!! :couple: There are so many good ones out there.

Sam
10-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Ang Lee's Hulk = couldn't finish it.

Catwoman = I couldn't bring myself to waste the time watching even two minutes of it, though I did walk through a room while it was playing and felt the immediate need to bath.

Iron Man 2 = Holy shit!! Pam, you didn't like it??? WHY?? I loved it. The whole thing with Pepper Potts felt forced and I think it was a bad idea, but that's the only issue I had with the whole thing. I thought it was well done and very well paced. Not a slow spot in the whole thing and Sam Rockwell did such a great job in it. I really enjoy his performances and hope he'll one day get the receognition he deserves like Ed Norton is finally getting.

Brainslinger
10-30-2010, 12:29 PM
I think Spider-man 2 is probably the best comic book film, (I like the other two as well. Even the much reviled 3, although it is flawed). I think my favourite might be X-Men 2 though.

Like Turtlex there aren't many comic book films I dislike. I quite liked X3 too although I felt it was way too much of a downer at the end. I liked the post end-credits twist though.

I actually found Pacquin quite endearing as Rogue, although she isn't quite the buxom flying sauce-pot you see in the comics. She is rather how I'd imagine that character as an unsure teenager though... which is the route they took.

I even found Cat-woman entertaining, albeit it WAS pretty rubbish.

Erin
10-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm with turtlex, I enjoy pretty much any comic book movie, no matter how crappy it really may be, just because the subject matter is so exciting. As for my favorites, I loved the first Spiderman and really dug The Watchmen movie. Also, Sin City was pretty awesome.

turtlex
10-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Iron Man II - I thought it completely took any charm that Tony Stark had and just made him into an ass. I hated that. The first one, he's all rakish charm and ego. In the second one, to me, he was just a self-centered jerk. :rolleyes: And don't even get me started on Pepper Potts!! :lol:

The best part about Ang Lee's Hulk was Eric Bana. He was actually pretty good - I think he did a better job than Ed Norton, actually. It's just that the movie itself ... I think Ang Lee was out of his element too much. It's worth a watch, Sam, if you have some time, it was no where near as bad at Catwoman!

X-3 : Ditto. :couple: Actually, I always watch an entire movie, right through the crawl, so when there's something fun there, I always get a kick out of it!

Anna Paquin as Rogue - She's too wooden for me. It's like she's lost and doesn't know how to "act" like an angst ridden teenager. If there's one thing that Rogue should be able to display it's angst.

Sin City was great fun. I loved it. Even 300 - stylized and screaming "For SPARTA!!!" - I love them all, pretty much.

Brainslinger
10-30-2010, 02:41 PM
You guys have just mentioned another couple of films I didn't think of. Sin City! I really like that film! Better than X2? In a way yes. They feed different things though.

Thinking about it, I think I actually prefer Blade 2 to the X2 (I like a bit of horror in my films and the Reavers were great monsters. Proper vampires, no the soppy lover-lorn things that seem to be permeating TV at the moment. Not that I dislike a more human take on vampires.)

I'm not sure I'd count the Blade films as comic book films though, despite being based on a Marvel character. They take the whole world of vampires and do their own thing with it. Blade 2 is probably the most comic booky of the three though. Del Toro actually intentionally went for a comic book cheesy type dialogue... which I actually found a bit grating in the film... but that's a small criticism.

Lisey Landon
10-31-2010, 08:02 AM

Darkthoughts
10-31-2010, 08:12 AM
How about...none of them! :lol:

Haha! Actually I wouldn't mind a Cheech and Chong style Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers movie...Woody Harrelson as Franklin, the guy from Zack and Miri Make A Porno as Fat Freddy...that'd be cool :D

Brainslinger
10-31-2010, 09:12 AM
I could say 'Judge Dredd' as Sylvesters Stallone's version just doesn't do him justice. However, they're actually doing that already anyway with Karl Urban in the main role! Apparently the script was leaked and has been doing the rounds. Many fans on the 2000 AD site (www.2000adonline.com) I frequent have read it and feel it really does the character and strip justice. (I don't want to be spoiled so I have avoided it.) And like the strip, the helmet remains on, or at least the top part of his face remains hidden.

As for things I'd like to see, at some point it would be great to see Strontium Dog on the screen. I think it would work better as a TV series than a film though*, so I'm not sure if I should include this here, as the question "What comic you'd most like to see as a series?" might appear in future.

There were plans to do just that actually which included some great design work by the co-creator Carlos Ezquerra, (click here (http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,30204.msg547930.html#msg547930) to see it. I'm not sure about the helmet, but I love the weapons and gadget stuff.) but unfortunately, like many projects, it fell by the way-side. There are some long story arcs that would serve in a film though.

*The main character, Johnny Alpha, is a bounty hunter, hence my reasoning for it being a good idea for a series as 'bounty of the week' could be an intuitive structure to fall into. Mind you, that could get boring and repetitive too, but there's plenty of room for ongoing story arcs. It's not just about that though, there are themes of prejudism and totalitarianism as well. Imagine a mixture of Firefly and a smattering of X-men, with a laconic main lead with very strange white eyes....

Sam
10-31-2010, 09:52 AM

Kingdom Come

turtlex
10-31-2010, 11:28 AM

I think it would take more than one movie, but the recent Civil War storyline at Marvel, which culminates with the Death of Captain America, would be a great movie(s). Since CW ran across the whole Marvel Universe, the cast would have to be awesome.

I'd also love to see a telling of the Dark Phoenix Saga, as written in the comics.

Sam, Kingdom Come would be awesome!

OchrisO
10-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Y: The Last Man

I think it could maybe manage to be done and not be screwed up too horribly.

Sam
10-31-2010, 03:02 PM
One of the biggest reasons I chose Kingdom Come is because it's a stand alone story that has a definite ending. It would be easier to turn that into a 2-3 hour film than a series would. A series needs a treatment like they're doing with The Walking Dead. Plus, if you go with a storyline, you have all this backstory that no one knows about. Kingdom Come covers all the backstory during the tale and all it requires is you know who Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and Captain Marvel are. Everything else is explained.

Lisey Landon
10-31-2010, 11:44 PM
13. Best Death?

Sam
11-01-2010, 12:37 AM
13. Best Death?
The very first one that popped into my mind was 1-800-KILL-YOUR-PARTNER.
That's right, the death of Robin aka. Jason Todd. Beaten to death by a crazy man with a crowbar and sounding not quite like a pumpkin breaking open.

OchrisO
11-01-2010, 01:48 AM
13. Best Death?

I've been thinking about this one and it was really tough. There were several almost winners.

Rorschach at the end of Watchmen

Supergirl in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Aunt May in The Amazing Spider-man 400.

But, in the end, I think it has to be when Barry Allen literally ran himself to death in order to save the universe in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

The actual pages are below:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/dcmoment37a.jpg
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/dcmoment37b.jpg

turtlex
11-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Chris - Nice call on Y:The Last Man Standing for a movie! Very nice.

13. Best Death?

Lots of choices here. Chris has listed some "good" ones.

I know I will ultimately have to pick Jean Grey/Dark Phoenix, because it was Jean sacrificing herself to save the universe. Kind of hard to beat that one.

However, The death Of Gwen Stacy in Spidey came to mind immediately as well. So does one of my favorite storylines - the death of Elektra in Daredevil.

Sam
11-01-2010, 06:39 AM
I am completely shocked at your choice Pam!! Just totally SHOCKED!!

nah, not really.:P

turtlex
11-01-2010, 06:40 AM
<-- Predictable Comic Geek !

But, seriously, dude - the woman sacrificed her life to save the universe. You gotta admit that's pretty awesome.

Sam
11-01-2010, 07:08 AM
meh.<_<

;):lol::onfire:just kidding:couple::couple::evil:

Lisey Landon
11-02-2010, 12:18 AM
14. Best Re-Birth?

Pam, you're not allowed to say Phoenix :lol:

turtlex
11-02-2010, 02:22 AM
:doh: No fairs !!!

Actually, I was NOT going to say Dark Phoenix, so there!! ( okay, I kinda was, but honestly, it wasn't that great a re-birth )

14. Best Re-Birth?

I am going to mosey on over to the DC Universe for this one and go with my all-time favorite Green Lantern ... Hal Jordan. Colossus was pretty awesome, too.

Sam
11-02-2010, 06:45 AM
14. Best Re-Birth?
From a marketing standpoint... Superman. Of course, the whole thing was just a marketing ploy. The only ones I'm really going to look at are the ones where the intent wasn't (at the time of the writing of the character's death) to bring them back to life. Otherwise, we could be dicussing virtually every character in the comic world.

My pick is Oliver Queen. He went out, ahem, with a bang (no pun intended) and came back much later to continue his efforts. To top all of it off, he actually CHOSE to return to this world, even if there was a little pressure involved.

turtlex
11-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Green Arrow? Yeah? Going to look that one up.

Marketing - hands down Superman, but honestly - it was such a wimpy death to begin with, I was like :meh:.

Brainslinger
11-02-2010, 09:06 AM
I don't think I've read enough to judge, but I'm going with Johnny Alpha.

He was killed off in Strontium Dog: The Final Solution. The artist who drew most of the SD strips, Carlos Ezquerra, actually disagreed and refused to draw it meaning a couple of other artists took the job instead.

John Wagner who was co-creator agreed to it at the time (at that point he was concentrating on the Judge Dredd strip leaving Alan Grant to write SD) but came to rue that later. Most of the other strips that have come out since then have been set before Alpha's death... but Wagner decided he wanted to write more stories involving the character to move the story forward. The last strip published in 2000 AD, The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha dealt with that.

It cheesed off many of the fans, particularly as 2000 AD is renowned for NOT resurrecting many characters (unlike the big 2). I'm not keen on the idea of resurrecting myself as it takes some of the danger out of the strip, but the way it was accomplished was intriguing. Particularly as he didn't really resurrect the character in the strict sense of the word.

Lisey Landon
11-03-2010, 12:27 AM

OchrisO
11-03-2010, 12:35 AM
14. Best Re-Birth?

Colossus, for sure. There have been some better characters reborn, but when he reaches towards Kitty and just phases right through here because she is too shocked to remember to solidify, it choked me up bad. It was one of the single most touching pages in comics.

To me individually, or in general?

In general it would have to be Superman. Superman has spoken to nearly everyone at some point in their life.

For me personally, it would have to be Neil Gaiman's The Sandman. I have read comics for most of my life, but when I first picked up the Season of Mist Sandman story, it was the first time that I realized that comics be be so much more than superhero books. The Sandman showed me that they could be complex literature, that they could be true works of art.

Sam
11-03-2010, 01:15 AM

Wow, most influencial. Almost immediately I want to say Watchmen, mostly because of the impact it had on the comic world. It brought about a shift in the behavior of comic heroes. They were no longer the non-violent, logical characters that many had grown up with in the 60's and 70's. They were becoming brooding, cold, calculating, and occassionally crazy as hell. But is that a good thing? Do we really want our comics to reflect real life, or do we want our comics to be idyllic in a world where good always triumphs over bad and none of the good guys ever gets more than a bruise. I, for one, like the realism.

Having said all that, I think I am going to go with The Amazing Spider-Man. As a child, I read many different books... The Incredible Hulk, Captain America, Batman, Superman, and on and on. I never identified with any of the characters the way I did with Peter Parker. I never actually looked up to a comic character the way I did Spider-Man, and I don't mean just during the Macy's Parade. It was from that one comic that I learned to understand the phrase "With great power, comes great responsibility." I came to understand the meaning behind this through that one book, and the lesson has never left me. I am sure I'm not the only one.

turtlex
11-03-2010, 02:56 AM

To me personally, Daredevil. Such a layered title ( I started reading during the Frank Miller years, thank you very much ) and plenty of angst.

In general, I am going to go with X-Men. I can see where Superman should be considered but honestly, I feel he's past his prime and could use a bit of a reboot, but X-Men is just so wide-reaching ( and top selling ). They define the Team aspect of comics for me, far more so than the JLA.

Spidey would be a close second for me.

fernandito
11-03-2010, 03:09 PM

Watchmen, easily.

Lisey Landon
11-04-2010, 08:23 AM
I would be tempted to pick Watchmen too :thumbsup:

Brainslinger
11-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Marvelous Marble.

It's a rubbish name, I know. I made it up when I was a kid when I wanted to create a superhero based around myself. ('Marble' looks and sounds similar to my surname with one letter difference. Kids would actually call me that at school when they wanted to take the mick out of my name.) I used to draw my own cartoon comic strips based around the character. Or rather parts of strips, I never really did a complete story. (I got bored quickly.)

Originally he had the same basic powers as Superman. (You know how kids are, wanting lots of powers etc.) Later on, thinking it through, I decided that a character with more specific powers would be more interesting. Taking the name 'Marble' I figured it would be cool if he* had spherical force-field type powers. (Also fits better with my personality as a bit shy and reclusive.)

Basically he can create a field around himself for protection, or around other people, a way to catch criminals etc. He can manipulate the sphere's directly, so he can move objects/people or himself. (Effectively simulating flying without flying. If that make sense. I've often wanted to fly and I figured this is one way it could be achieved with this specific power.) I also had an idea that he can fill some balls with explosive energy, effectively creating explosive bombs. Kind of like a Green Goblin type deal, but that might be a bit too offensive for a hero.

I had an origin story too. He comes across an alien artefact (probably a small crystalline ball of some kind, what else?) which, when activated, encapsulates him in a kind of exoskeleton suit with emitters in the hands that produce the force-fields.

I even designed the suit and the arch nemesis. (A weird crystalline alien dude with spikes he can shoot at people. Heh.) The original suit was basically a superman costume with a big round logo with a curvy M on the front. Later I split the logo in two, each side a different colour like how those little glass marbles look. Similar to the yin and yang symbol I guess, but blue and red rather than black and white. (Not finalised. Heh.) I came up with other better ideas since then, although it will likely still look pretty stupid. (I'll lose the cape.)

At some point I might do a proper strip for fun although I might change the name. (I might keep it actually as I see the strip as more comedic rather than the more serious stuff in Superhero strips. Or I might keep a running gag where he can't decide on a name and tries different things.) And the character won't really be me as that would be a tad narcissistic. I'd give his alter-ego a different name.

*I say 'he' as he isn't really me any more.

Sam
11-04-2010, 06:47 PM

Fnrick the Hammer, oh wait, that's the dwarf's name for D&D.

Seriously, as much as I might want to answer this one, I can't think of one unless it's Sam Catoe, Green Lantern.

Lisey Landon
11-05-2010, 01:34 AM

Sam
11-05-2010, 05:59 AM

To fly of course. Reading minds would be cool too, but only if I could shut it down when I wanted to.

fernandito
11-05-2010, 07:48 AM

The ability of flight. Being able to fly must be one of the most exhilarating things you could ever do.

turtlex
11-05-2010, 08:41 AM
:lol: I have no superhero name ... I'll have to think on that one.

I have to say super-strength. I don't really want to be able to fly, but to have Wolverine's strenght, that would be awesome.

Darkthoughts
11-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm down with flying too. The dreams where you can fly are always the best...although, I always fly as though I were swimming in my dreams, so hopefully the superhero deal would be slightly cooler and less dorky :lol:

Lisey Landon
11-06-2010, 03:53 AM
18. Best Side-Kick?

willie3
11-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Hi All
I don't normally pass through this forum, but was interested in the challenge questions.

I've been collecting comics since I was 6 yrs old (I'm now 53), and the collection I currently own is my third.
More on that some other time, but this collection has been continuous since the early 70's.

On to the questions...

Past was Denny O'Neil. Seems to me he ushered in the modern age of comics, updated "relevent" story lines in Batman, Detective Comics, The Brave & The Bold, and most notably, Green Lantern/Green Arrow.
My opinion is he paved the way for writers like Alan Moore, Frank Miller and the like.
Present has to be Warren Ellis. This guy is SO over the top, and I can't think of anything he has written I didn't like. My faves being Transmetro, The Authority, Planetary and Global Frequency (cover of issue 2 is still the desktop picture on 2 of my laptops).
Neil Gaiman of course is great, but after the Sandman, he seemed to only dabble in the medium, IMHO.

Past was Barry Smith, now Windsor-Smith. Come on, the guy was the first to draw nips on his male characters.
Also Neal Adams deserves mention. He brought whatever character he drew to life. I bought every comic that had a Neal Adams cover, didn't matter if I normally collected the title or not.
Present, I would have to concur with the others here on Alex Ross. The man is the best at realistic portrayal of whatever he draws.
But...he is only drawing covers now.
There are so many I really enjoy, Matt Wagner, Mark Buckingham, Steve Dillon, Jae Lee, Steve Bissette, Bernie Wrightson, Kelly Jones, and on and on.
Choose one?
How about Dave McKean?

Thanks for listening, will continue to play catch up on the questions until someone tells me to STFU.

Ya'll stay safe.
Karl

willie3
11-06-2010, 08:50 AM

Miracleman 15
Just blew me away. Alan Moore at his BEST. Jon Totleben's depiction of the destruction of London was horrific and beautiful.

4. Favorite Story Arc?

Trying to think of one I've read over and over...
Gonna try to limit this to an ongoing series.

Toss-up between X-Men 141-142 "Days of Future Past"and Hulk "Future Imperfect" written by Peter David.

Hmmm...Do I detect a theme there?

Karl

willie3
11-06-2010, 09:05 AM
5. Best Villian?

I would agree the Joker from the Killng Joke is classic evil.
I also return to another Alan Moore villian, Johnny Bates, Kid Marvelman/Miracleman.
Matt Wagner's Grendel ranks at the top for me also, the Hunter Rose incarnation.

Karl

willie3
11-06-2010, 09:32 AM
6. Best Hero?

Well if you look around my house,
the number of statues, original artwork, framed prints and toys laying about,

I would have to admit my favorite is Superman.
Been that way since I was a kid.

Though many others have pushed him out of first through the years, Starman, Grendel, Miracleman/Marvelman, Wolverine, Madman, Hellboy, Swamp Thing, to name just a very few, he remains the constant figure displayed in every nook and every blank space on my walls.

Karl

Sam
11-06-2010, 09:06 PM
18. Best Side-Kick?
Bat Mite?

Seriously, I really like the Tim Drake Robin. I always felt his character was handled SO much better than Dick Grayson and Jason Todd ever were.

Lisey Landon
11-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Hey Karl! Glad to have another comics fan joining in :thumbsup:

Sam
11-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Colossus and Kitty

turtlex
11-08-2010, 03:46 AM
Karl / willie3 - Man you should drop by the Comic Tower more often !!!!!

18. Best Side-Kick?

Actually, none of my favorite comic characters really have side-kicks. I'm not a huge fan of Robin ( from Batman ) so I think I'll have to go with James "Bucky" Barnes from Captain America.

Oh, please .... I have a list. :lol: I have always felt that Rogue would be able to carry her own title ( rather than just a mini-series ), and Gambit just screams out for his own title ( again, instead of just a mini ). I think Gambit would be fascinating since he crosses into Good Guy / Bad Guy territory so often.

Ultimately, though, I'm going with Mystique / Raven Darkhölme for my choice. She's all over the place with her history and her allegiances. She helped raise Rogue, she was in the Brotherhood, she's in the X-Men. Lots of avenues to investigate and history to build on. I think a real character driven title, with Mystique as the center, would be a really good read.

Sam - I love Colossus and Kitty. :wub:

Lisey Landon
11-08-2010, 07:43 AM

Sam
11-08-2010, 07:48 PM
It's such a sham that Pam won't be able to participate, but we ALL know that her dream team was already created with the X-Men.

My team is pretty small. Captain Marvel (DC version, not Marvel Comics), The fully integrated Hulk (brains of Banner, brute strength of Savage Hulk), The Flash (Barry Allen), Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner), and Captain America (Steve Rogers, the REAL Cap). That's my team. You have heart, strength, speed, cosmic power, and the best strategist around besides maybe Frank Castle (does NOT play well with others), what more do you need.

turtlex
11-09-2010, 04:10 AM

:squeee: Okay, my dream team ... Sam, it is not the X-Men, though some are involved.... of course.

My team : Daredevil / Matt Murdock, Green Lantern / Hal Jordan, Wolverine / James Howlett, Jean Grey ( try not to be suprised ), and finally... Rogue / Anna Marie.

Lots and lots of angst, no real leader so they can all excel, wide range of super-powers.

Sam - Great team, btw.

Sam
11-09-2010, 06:55 AM
So you added a couple of people. What'd I say... The X-Men. :P

I still love ya though.

turtlex
11-09-2010, 07:12 AM
:lol: :huglove:

Lisey Landon
11-09-2010, 07:41 AM
21. Which Mini-Series is your favorite?

Sam
11-09-2010, 07:41 PM
21. Which Mini-Series is your favorite?
Kingdom Come.

Lisey Landon
11-10-2010, 08:10 AM
22. Most Influential Person in Comics?

Brainslinger
11-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Tharg the Mighty of course!
;)

Sam
11-10-2010, 09:29 AM

Stan "The Man" Lee. Were you expecting anybody else?

Lisey Landon
11-11-2010, 01:55 AM
23. DC vs Marvel? Who wins and why?

fernandito
11-11-2010, 10:10 AM

Although my favorite superhero (Batman) is under DC's employ, Marvel is a much better company all around. Consistent in it's quality, and with a much more varied library to choose from.

Sam
11-11-2010, 10:37 AM

They both have history, they've both had more retcons than a street hooker has johns on a busy day, and they've both dropped the ball in huge ways when it came to good storylines turning bad. As for who wins in the overall war of DC vs Marvel, neither. Marvel has the bigger bankroll for sure now that they have Disney's backing, but as long as Marvel doesn't get Disneyfied (is that a word?) it will remain just a little ahead of DC in my opinion. The core heroes are a little richer and have a bit more depth than DC gives it's core heroes.

OchrisO
11-11-2010, 07:22 PM

When I was a young warthog, Marvel was my drug of choice.

These days, DC wins, but mainly because of the Vertigo imprint.

The Sandman, Hellblazer, Lucifer, The Books of Magic, Doom Patrol(v2), Swamp Thing(v2), Transmetropolitan, Y: The Last Man, Fables, Preacher, V for Vendetta, 100 Bullets.

All of those are DC/Vertigo titles, and all of them, without fail, are completely amazing and exactly what comics should be.

Also, DC owns Wildstorm now as an imprint, so they also have awesome stuff like The Authority, Planetary and Ex Machina, all three of which are hands down better than anything Marvel currently prints.

All of that, without even mentioning the big names like Batman, Superman and the JLA makes DC the clear winner in my mind.

Lisey Landon
11-12-2010, 12:15 PM
24. Name your own comic company

fernandito
11-12-2010, 01:13 PM

El Bruto Comics. :D

Sam
11-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Big Bear Comics... just kidding. That sounds too juvenile.

I think I would go with something simple like Eon Comics.

Lisey Landon
11-13-2010, 02:36 AM
Thanks for playing guys and thanks to the lovely Pam for the awesome questions :clap: :grouphug:

turtlex
11-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Oh damn, I am so far behind. I'm coming back to answer these! ( I hate when work gets in the way of my comic discussions! )

Yaksha
11-24-2010, 04:19 PM

DC Version

Green Lantern/Guy Gardner, Kid Flash/Bart Allen, Superboy/Conner Kent, Starman/Thom Kallor, Speedy/Mia Dearden, Robin/Damian Wayne, and Liberty Belle/Jesse Chambers

Darkthoughts
08-29-2011, 04:40 AM
I've c&p-ed all the questions into the first post, so if you'd like to fill out the questionnaire it's ready and waiting :thumbsup:

BeDaN
02-07-2013, 08:43 AM
1. Favorite Writer and Why? N/A
2. Favorite Artist and Why? Jae Lee. His art is amazing
3. Favorite Single Issue? N/A
4. Favorite Story Arc? Ugh so hard, it's a toss up between Civil War and House of M, with WWHulk coming close.
5. Best Villian? Magneto/Kessler
6. Best Hero? Hulk/Wolverine/Deadpool/Batman/Cole McGrath You'll probably get a different answer depending on what day you ask me.
7. Best Heroine? Sue Storm
8. Biggest Surprise Storyline? N/A
9. All Time Favorite "Team" ( X-Men, Avengers, JLA, etc )? X-Men
10. Best Film made of a comic character ? Another toughie, Punisher and the 1st 2 Nolan Batman movies are up there.
11. Favorite Graphic Novel? "Watchmen"
12. Comic You'd Most Like To See Made Into A Movie? Probably Civil War, show everyone what a d*ck Iron Man is.
13. Best Death? All of the Mutants at the end of "House of M"
14. Best Re-Birth? N/A - Not a fan of rebirths.
15. Most Influential Comic book? N/A
16. Pick Your Superhero Name and explain why? Meh
17. Favorite Superhero ability? The Master of Magnetism's. Such a wide array of things you can do with it.
18. Best Side-Kick? Robin
19. Who do you wish would get their own title? Magneto
20. Build Your Comic Character Dream Team N/A

Sorry I was so vague with a lot of my answers, it's just incredibly hard for me to decide on a lot of this. So many heroes, villians, and storylines mean a lot to me and I feel I wouldn't be doing whats in my heart any sort of justice.