PDA

View Full Version : TDGT - FINAL - Nolan vs Hitchcock

fernandito
10-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Christopher Nolan's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0634240/)
Notable films : Memento,Inception, The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, The Prestige
http://images.contactmusic.com/images/reviews/cnolan.jpg

Alfred Hitchcock's IMDB Page (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000033/)
Notable films : Vertigo, Psycho, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Rebecca
http://www.filmsquish.com/guts/files/images/hitchcock3.jpg

Reminder : In case of a tie in the polls, the posts below will serve as the final tie breaker so please make sure to clearly indicate whom you're voting for !

fernandito
10-18-2010, 01:15 PM
NOLAN !

Jean
10-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Hitchcock

Frankly, the only reason that I can see for Nolan to have made it this far is his being a novelty and a lot of people having seen his movies recently. I can think of at least 50 (see my list) directors that I personally consider better than him, and whom, when things cool down, people will come back to and learn to appreciate again. I think it is an example of how things work in our world, not of who really is the [I hope second] best director.

fernandito
10-18-2010, 01:36 PM
I voted for Nolan because his films mean more to me than Hitchcock's, not because of any novelty.

Jean
10-18-2010, 01:43 PM
why, of course, we vote for who is important for us at the moment

the real question is, why these of those are more important than others? what is our choice influenced by? I am not surprised by your vote here, by the way, because I know how you feel about Nolan, and how deep and serious this feeling is; as I said, what I do not really understand is how he made it to the finals. I do not see what was so special about him that made him eclipse the monsters of the world's cinema - if not the reason I suspect, namely, that people remember best what they saw last.

pathoftheturtle
10-18-2010, 01:59 PM
The true essence of directing may be the skill of playing upon that very psychology.

gsvec
10-18-2010, 03:57 PM
Hitchcock. Hands down.

Mattrick
10-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Nolan beat Kubrick? What kind of sorcery is this?

Hitchcock.

Still Servant
10-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Not this time my friend.

Heather19
10-18-2010, 05:39 PM
Absolutely Hitchcock!

RUBE
10-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Seriously? This is the finals?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Hitchcock. And if Nolan wins this thing, this poll makes no sense at all.

Sam
10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't care for Hitchcock's films, but I cannot deny his impact on the film world.

Hitchcock. :cry:

Emily
10-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Hitchcock. This was actually pretty hard for me. I originally started typing this to help myself figure it out, but then I got distracted and started drawing pictures. So, here's how I decided:

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii338/tempusfrangit/HitchcockVSNolancompleted-1.jpg

And that is how I rationalize.

OchrisO
10-18-2010, 09:59 PM
Hitchcock. This was actually pretty hard for me. I originally started typing this to help myself figure it out, but then I got distracted and started drawing pictures. So, here's how I decided:

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii338/tempusfrangit/HitchcockVSNolancompleted-1.jpg

And that is how I rationalize.

That is hilarious.
:lol:

As much as I like Hitchcock, and as much as all of my Film Studies major friends will hate me for it, I have to pick Nolan, just for Memento and The Prestige alone. Most of the rest of his stuff is awesome, but goddamn.... Memento and The Prestige!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Tempus, that was awesome.

Jean
10-18-2010, 10:18 PM
yes, it was!

::very impressed::

frik
10-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Hitchcock - of course. Nolan doesn't even come close.

sk

Darkthoughts
10-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Emily :rofl: :clap: That was brilliant - I vote YOU!!!

I think, actually following a similar logic to Emily, that I will vote Hitchcock once I've typed this. Not regardless of his other films, but The Birds was one of the first films to scare the crap out of me and impress me at the same time. He has such a variation of style.

Jean
10-19-2010, 12:37 AM
The true essence of directing may be the skill of playing upon that very psychology. of producing, you mean?

Sam
10-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Ok, Emily, first off, I would SO totally pick great sex and stimulating conversation over my first true love (I think I already did that when I married my wife). Second, :rofl:

Heather19
10-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Emily that was the best :lol:

turtlex
10-19-2010, 02:26 AM
Hitchcock.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-19-2010, 02:34 AM
Ok, just watched the Prestige again, thinking I must have missed something. But no, still pretty much an ok movie. Pretty much my opinion of the Batman movies as well. Memento was good and I have never seen Inception, but I would never say that someone was the greatest director of all time based on two movies, so I guess it doesn't matter if Inception is the best movie I've ever not seen or not.

turtlex
10-19-2010, 02:36 AM
I would agree with Prestige. I thought it was okay, but utterly forgettable once I walked out of the theater. I put more weight on The Dark Knight, that's for Ledger's performance.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-19-2010, 02:37 AM
Ledger did a fantastic job, that just doesn't reflect a great deal on the director in my opinion.

turtlex
10-19-2010, 02:45 AM
Well... I truly have to respect the fact that Nolan "allowed" Ledger to bring in that kind of performance. Not every director would - it took a lot of guts on Heath's part to even want to go that dark and become so immersed in the part. Nolan had to be supportive of that, encourage it and then make sure the camera caught it. It would have been very easy for him to ask Heath to pull back some. I do respect that of him.

Darkthoughts
10-19-2010, 04:34 AM
I would agree with Prestige. I thought it was okay, but utterly forgettable once I walked out of the theater. I put more weight on The Dark Knight, that's for Ledger's performance.

I preferred The Prestige, but then again you know, if you're a Batman fan you're bound to prefer those - whereas magicians/illusionists/Victorian England is really my bag and I was more personally invested in The Prestige over Batman because of that. The level of directorship was as good in each, but my attention wandered at some points during Batman Begins and I couldn't say the same about Prestige.

turtlex
10-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Oh, um, I didn't even like Batman Begins. :doh: I was referring to only The Dark Knight. I think Batman Begins is just an average comic book movie, nothing special or distinguishing about it. One I didn't even enjoy as much as any of the X-Men movies.

I did like the Prestige, and it kept my attention, and it was an okay movie ... just, it didn't stay with me at all. I wasn't impressed by the directing or the acting, and once the movie was over, so went my interest. :borg:

Jean
10-19-2010, 05:29 AM
I wasn't impressed by the directing or the acting I was...

turtlex
10-19-2010, 05:33 AM
I know, Jean. :couple: And a lot of folks were, just not me. :blush: To me, with the exception of the language, it could have been a Lifetime Made-For-TV movie starring Eddie Cibrian. :shrugs: Oh well.

Odetta
10-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Hitch

fernandito
10-19-2010, 07:07 AM
Well Nolan old boy, we sure had a great run, didn't we ?

/pours scotch

/cigar

Odetta
10-19-2010, 07:10 AM
sorry, feevie, I like Nolan, but Hitch has has a greater impact on me personally

:grouphug:

mae
10-19-2010, 07:11 AM
How is this even possible? Nolan? Greatest director? Maybe in another decade or two when we can objectively judge his work. Hitchcock all the way. Kubrick should've been second.

fernandito
10-19-2010, 07:14 AM
sorry, feevie, I like Nolan, but Hitch has has a greater impact on me personally

:grouphug:

:wub:

fernandito
10-19-2010, 07:17 AM
.. it kept my attention, and it was an okay movie ... just, it didn't stay with me at all. I wasn't impressed by the directing or the acting, and once the movie was over, so went my interest. :borg:

This sums up my feelings towards Hitchcock's films in general.

turtlex
10-19-2010, 07:50 AM
.. it kept my attention, and it was an okay movie ... just, it didn't stay with me at all. I wasn't impressed by the directing or the acting, and once the movie was over, so went my interest. :borg:

This sums up my feelings towards Hitchcock's films in general.

:couple: Opposites attract, boyfriend!! :huglove:

alinda
10-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Hitchcock....it's a run away train!!!:wtf:

fernandito
10-19-2010, 08:35 AM
:couple: Opposites attract, boyfriend!! :huglove:

:lol: :couple:

pathoftheturtle
10-19-2010, 08:36 AM
The true essence of directing may be the skill of playing upon that very psychology. of producing, you mean?Of film, anyway.

alinda
10-19-2010, 08:40 AM
aNd this dear friendas is why I love you all so.:grouphug:

fernandito
10-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Because we vote in tournaments ? :lol:

Darkthoughts
10-19-2010, 08:46 AM
How is this even possible? Nolan? Greatest director? Maybe in another decade or two when we can objectively judge his work. Hitchcock all the way. Kubrick should've been second.

Buuuut, he wasn't.

Thing is, we're not being asked to vote on who we objectively think is the greatest achiever or the greatest on technical merit etc, we're being asked who in our personal opinion is the greatest. In that case, greatest constitutes whatever has impacted you as an individual, not cinema as a whole.

pathoftheturtle
10-19-2010, 08:56 AM
If you honestly think that Hitchcock and Kubrick really are the two best directors ever, then you ought to be impressed that this contest came so close to your ideal. What are the odds?

...I think Batman Begins is just an average comic book movie, nothing special or distinguishing about it. One I didn't even enjoy as much as any of the X-Men movies. ...Or any of the earlier Batman movies? I think TDK was far better, (which shocked me at first viewing) but I would not say that I didn't like Batman Begins.

Interesting to recall that last year, the Joker was our runner up in Best Movie Character of All Time tournament.

mae
10-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Well, I'm sorry then, because I approached this as a cinephile, weighing each candidate against the entirety of world cinema. For me Nolan wouldn't rate anywhere in the top 30 or so, maybe even top 50. I just don't understand what the fascination with him is that he's advanced so far. Aside from a few moments here and there in The Presitige and Memento, his films have been from good to average.

Just for shits and giggles, as if anyone cares, here are just some of the directors I rate higher than Nolan: Hitchcock, Kubrick, Scorsese, Kurosawa, Truffaut, Bergman, Chaplin, Buñuel, Cronenberg, Jodorowsky, Eisenstein, Tarkovsky, Fassbinder, Fellini, Scott, Verhoeven, Godard, Gilliam, Dreyer, Ozu, Jarmusch, Spielberg, Lang, Soderbergh, Capra, Coppola, Mizoguchi, Polanski, Renoir, Wilder. That's probably my top 30, in no particular order. And no Nolan.

Just one man's opinion, of course.

fernandito
10-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Just for shits and giggles, as if anyone cares, here are just some of the directors I rate higher than Nolan: Hitchcock, Kubrick, Scorsese, Kurosawa, Truffaut, Bergman, Chaplin, Buñuel, Cronenberg, Jodorowsky, Eisenstein, Tarkovsky, Fassbinder, Fellini, Scott, Verhoeven, Godard, Gilliam, Dreyer, Ozu, Jarmusch, Spielberg, Lang, Soderbergh, Capra, Coppola, Mizoguchi, Polanski, Renoir, Wilder. That's probably my top 30, in no particular order. And no Nolan.

Just one man's opinion, of course.

The only ones from your list I'd place above Nolan because of their filmography alone are Kurosawa, Bergman, and Kubrick. He's just as good, or perhaps better than Scorsese, Scott, Fellini, Soderbergh, etc, etc.

Some folks are making it a rule to vote against Nolan because they're still butthurt they he beat out Spielberg, Tarantino etc. He's done more in his relatively short time as a director than some of the other candidates have done in their entire careers.

And of course, this is just my opinion.

pathoftheturtle
10-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Is prejudice more a factor in favor of Nolan or against him? Who's to say?

fernandito
10-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Touche , my friend. Touche.

Emily
10-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Oh, um, I didn't even like Batman Begins. :doh: I was referring to only The Dark Knight. I think Batman Begins is just an average comic book movie, nothing special or distinguishing about it. One I didn't even enjoy as much as any of the X-Men movies.

Holy crap, really? Man, I'm surprised. Have you ever posted a longer opinion on Batman Begins, turtlex? I'm interested to know more.

turtlex
10-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Nah, I don't think I've ever talked about it here. I just didn't like it ( Batman Begins ). I mean, it was better than a lot of the other Batman movies, but that's not saying much since so many of those were real stinkers ( IMHO ).

fernandito
10-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Since I've expanded on this in countless other threads, I'll just say that both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are much, much more than simply 'good comic book/batman movies'.

Jean
10-19-2010, 10:03 AM
path - I was actually talking about perspective. I mean, I love Nolan just fine when I am face to face with him, but as soon as I take two steps away in any direction, he is placed into a bigger picture, and gets instantly eclipsed by a few dozen others. (as pablo said)

Whoever - producers or promoters or distributors, or the whole way the cultural policy in a given country is established - has mastered the subtle art of manipulating this perspective has nothing to do with directing in particular, or filmmaking in general.

ETA: the second passage of this post has nothing to do with Nolan, it is part of a larger discussion between path and me.

turtlex
10-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Since I've expanded on this in countless other threads, I'll just say that both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are much, much more than simply 'good comic book/batman movies'.

I half-way agree with you. ;) :couple:

mae
10-19-2010, 10:08 AM
path - I was actually talking about perspective. I mean, I love Nolan just fine when I am face to face with him, but as soon as I take two steps away in any direction, he is placed into a bigger picture, and gets instantly eclipsed by a few dozen others. (as pablo said)

I'm glad we agree on this, Jean, because when one is in agreement with bears one is always correct :dance:

Jean
10-19-2010, 10:11 AM

I'm glad we agree on this, Jean, because when one is in agreement with bears one is always correct :dance:
do you mind if I sig this after Halloween?

::flattered beyond words::

fernandito
10-19-2010, 10:16 AM

You mean, you think they're only 'much more' as opposed to 'much,much more' ?

turtlex
10-19-2010, 10:18 AM

You mean, you think they're only 'much more' as opposed to 'much,much more' ?

Oh yeah, um, that's exactly what I mean... sure, that's it.

mae
10-19-2010, 10:24 AM

do you mind if I sig this after Halloween?

::flattered beyond words::

Sure, why would I mind. And I meant it, too!

frik
10-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Hitchcock all the way. Kubrick should've been second.

:clap:

or maybe vice versa...

sk

fernandito
10-19-2010, 10:49 AM
Hitchcock all the way. Kubrick should've been second.

or maybe vice versa...

I'd place Kubrick over Hitchcock, certainly.

pathoftheturtle
10-19-2010, 10:56 AM

Whoever - producers or promoters or distributors, or the whole way the cultural policy in a given country is established - has mastered the subtle art of manipulating this perspective has nothing to do with directing in particular, or filmmaking in general.

ETA: the second passage of this post has nothing to do with Nolan, it is part of a larger discussion between path and me.I thought we were talking about the psychology of "people remembering what they saw last." My point was that filmmaking generally depends upon this more than literature does. I mean, I know that some films exist which are for people with higher levels of retention, but does the whole artform tend to encourage that? To have full perpective, surely we must consider an even bigger picture than the body of all films in existence. One greater than any of them might be imagined, but it doesn't get made without courting an audience. Every great director has gone through that in one way or another.

fernandito
10-19-2010, 11:10 AM
I thought we were talking about the psychology of "people remembering what they saw last." My point was that filmmaking generally depends upon this more than literature does. I mean, I know that some films exist which are for people with higher levels of retention, but does the whole artform tend to encourage that?

As is the case with anything, this would depend on the individual, would it not ? Although I love both mediums to death, I prefer - by the slightest of margins - the power of imagery to words, which is presumably why films tend to get burn brighter and longer in the retina of my mind's eye than novels and their words. So in this case, the opposite is true for me.

Great discussion though.

Darkthoughts
10-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Well, I'm sorry then, because I approached this as a cinephile, weighing each candidate against the entirety of world cinema. For me Nolan wouldn't rate anywhere in the top 30 or so, maybe even top 50. I just don't understand what the fascination with him is that he's advanced so far. Aside from a few moments here and there in The Presitige and Memento, his films have been from good to average.
I have voted Hitchcock in this round and Nolan in the semi's, but neither of them are actually my favourite directors or who I would give the accolade "Greatest Director Of All Time", were I to pick from all the films I have ever seen. there's no need to feign an apology Pablo, but unless it's agreed before the start of the tournament that we are all to vote in that particular way, as the contestants are eliminated people are simply going to vote for who they've enjoyed...and why not? Surely it's the point of cinema after all?

I thought we were talking about the psychology of "people remembering what they saw last." My point was that filmmaking generally depends upon this more than literature does. I mean, I know that some films exist which are for people with higher levels of retention, but does the whole artform tend to encourage that?
I may be wrong but I felt like you were orginally directing that at me, as when I voted Nolan last round I made comment on how I'd recently watched his films.

If so, I'm slightly offended that you imply I have low levels of retention! :lol: I watched Nolan's films recentley so I could make a more informed vote as I hadn't seen any of them except TDK prior to the poll. I'm not a Kubrick fan, therefore I went with Nolan because, for example, I vastly prefer The Prestige over A Clockwork Orange, which to me is very overrated.

It's preference, not an inability to compare over time.

Odetta
10-19-2010, 12:15 PM

I definitely agree with this...

the previous Batman movies were good comic book/batman movies... well, some of them... the first one, with Keaton, for example.

The Dark Knight and Batman Begins were far superior in my mind than those others...

...but Nolan needs to be around longer to have a greater impact on me I think.

fernandito
10-19-2010, 12:31 PM
...but Nolan needs to be around longer to have a greater impact on me I think.

A primary contention point amongst his more level headed detractors. Luckily he's still at a very early stage in his film making career, with many more years togo and plenty more great films to make. It certainly bodes well for us , the fans, that he's operating at such a high level at this point.

Odetta
10-19-2010, 12:32 PM
certainly...

let us hope he is not a fad that will just vanish

pathoftheturtle
10-19-2010, 01:19 PM

As is the case with anything, this would depend on the individual, would it not ? Although I love both mediums to death, I prefer - by the slightest of margins - the power of imagery to words, which is presumably why films tend to get burn brighter and longer in the retina of my mind's eye than novels and their words. So in this case, the opposite is true for me.

Great discussion though.Thanks. But that's not really what I was saying...

I have voted Hitchcock in this round and Nolan in the semi's, but neither of them are actually my favourite directors or who I would give the accolade "Greatest Director Of All Time", were I to pick from all the films I have ever seen. there's no need to feign an apology Pablo, but unless it's agreed before the start of the tournament that we are all to vote in that particular way, as the contestants are eliminated people are simply going to vote for who they've enjoyed...and why not? Surely it's the point of cinema after all?This is!
In fact, it's been explicitly stated that this contest was deliberately not entitled the Greatest Director of All Time.
Which is really bigger and more important: all of history or this present moment?

I may be wrong but I felt like you were orginally directing that at me, as when I voted Nolan last round I made comment on how I'd recently watched his films.

If so, I'm slightly offended that you imply I have low levels of retention! :lol: I watched Nolan's films recentley so I could make a more informed vote as I hadn't seen any of them except TDK prior to the poll. I'm not a Kubrick fan, therefore I went with Nolan because, for example, I vastly prefer The Prestige over A Clockwork Orange, which to me is very overrated.

It's preference, not an inability to compare over time.Um, would you be even more offended if I confessed that I wasn't thinking of you at all?

mae
10-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Well if it's about who's the best director at the present moment, then Hitchcock is ineligible. And still, I don't think Nolan presently is the best anyway. Again, my opinion.

pathoftheturtle
10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
You're certainly entitled to your opinion; you might even be right. I'm just hoping that everyone walks away from this game feeling good about the community.

fernandito
10-19-2010, 01:39 PM
See, that's just it , this isn't 'just a game' to me, IT'S A MATTER OF LIFE OR DEATH.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emily
10-19-2010, 01:40 PM
For like 12 seconds right there, I was like, "Jeez, Amanda is super into this all of a sudden. Bizarre." ><

pathoftheturtle
10-19-2010, 01:46 PM
See, that's just it , this isn't 'just a game' to me, IT'S A MATTER OF LIFE OR DEATH.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wel l, that works, too.:onfire:

And that is how I rationalize.Hey, I just realized this reminds me of Youth In Revolt. Only better.

LadyHitchhiker
10-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Hitchcock. That's who *I* voted for.

gsvec
10-19-2010, 02:38 PM
These "Halloween costumes" are killing me here! Tempus, I honestly LOVE your documented debate! :D

...and you picked correctly.

Mattrick
10-19-2010, 08:27 PM
yyyyyeahhhh I don't know. If someone wants to say Nolan is better than Hitchcock that's their right. Just tell me 'that's that', mattress man.

Mattrick
10-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Feev, I think Nolan achieved great things with The Dark Knight. He proved comic book stories can transcend the genre they've been in for many, many years and become intriguing drama movies. But while I do not think The Dark Knight is overrated by any means. It's not even in my top ten movies. Top 20 even. I do love it. Batman Begins as well.

There are plenty of directors along with Nolan, (Tarantino, Jackson and Del Toro as I haven't seen Pan's Labrynth and that other one). But to me this is best director. I look for their talent behind the camera and how they direct their actors. Their use of colour, lighting, set pieces, positioning, mood. Nolan makes great movies but I've never thought of any of his movies as moody, they invoked no mood from me. They're captivating yes, intriguing and entertaining. Keep in mind I still haven't seen Inception.

I actually prefer Memento over The Dark Knight. Many of my favourite directors got beat out...most all to Tarandamntino. Oh well, at least Nolan is up there and not someone half talented behind a camera like Tarantino.

cozener
10-19-2010, 09:56 PM
I voted for Nolan just to be a wanker :P

Darkthoughts
10-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Um, would you be even more offended if I confessed that I wasn't thinking of you at all?

Of course!! :lol:

Have you read Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's book Good Omens? I am the Crawley to your Aziraphale :D

pathoftheturtle
10-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Um, would you be even more offended if I confessed that I wasn't thinking of you at all?

Of course!! :lol:

Have you read Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's book Good Omens? I am the Crawley to your Aziraphale :DI suspected as much. :blush: Cry your pardon.

As is the case with anything, this would depend on the individual, would it not ? Although I love both mediums to death, I prefer - by the slightest of margins - the power of imagery to words, which is presumably why films tend to get burn brighter and longer in the retina of my mind's eye than novels and their words. So in this case, the opposite is true for me. ...Going further, there's the old question, "Does art imitate life, or does life imitate art?" I think that Jean was raising the question of what the individual depends on:
...of course, we vote for who is important for us at the moment

the real question is, why these of those are more important than others? what is our choice influenced by? ...It's a great topic, and I'd very much like to see it further explored @ Why do YOU love watching movies? (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=11014).

As for this thread, I'm not sure what else needs to be said. I voted for Hitchcock, but I see no point in knocking Nolan or the fact that he made it here. He defeated...

The Wachowski Brothers
M. Night Shyamalan
George Lucas
Steven Spielberg
Quentin Tarantino
Stanley Kubrick

...all of which I happen to agree with. A couple wouldn't even have been nominated, if it had been up to me. This never was perfect, but it's been pretty fun, and somewhat informative on several different levels.

Nolan has never made a film like The Godfather, but I'd probably also have rated him above Coppola, all things considered. Not above Scorsese or... well, many of the directors who fell in other rounds, but that is basically just the luck of the draw. I don't believe that Fernando seriously slanted things, I think he did a great job, and I'm thankful for it. If this had really been a matter of life or death, we could have had double-elimination and other systems to make it more objective and meaningful, and to also create 2 or 3 times as much work. IMHO, tho, it was fair enough, and I'm pretty happy with the way it has turned out.

alinda
10-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Did someone win the rounds then? I am confused.:doh:

pathoftheturtle
10-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Every round but this last one... Nolan could still steal home by getting the next 15 votes... ;) ... looking altogether okay.

Melike
10-20-2010, 12:59 PM
We all know how this is going to end.
Many directors I love are lost at the beginning of the tournament.
Hitchcock is clearly a classic, successfull, elegant and immortal director with his own style; kind of a brand for cinema.

So...

...I voted for...

...Nolan. :cyclops:
:innocent:

pathoftheturtle
10-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Wanker. :lol:

fernandito
10-20-2010, 01:39 PM
We all know how this is going to end.
Many directors I love are lost at the beginning of the tournament.
Hitchcock is clearly a classic, successfull, elegant and immortal director with his own style; kind of a brand for cinema.

So...

...I voted for...

...Nolan. :cyclops:
:innocent:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Mattrick
10-20-2010, 06:27 PM
The Wachowski Brothers
M. Night Shyamalan
George Lucas
Steven Spielberg
Quentin Tarantino
Stanley Kubrick

Tarantino committed far worse evil; beating out PT Anderson, the Coens and someone else, can't remember. Nolan eliminated people who deserved to be eliminated by him. Though I think Kubrick is a better director.

Yaksha
10-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Nolan hands down. I love Hitchcock, but Inception blew my damn mind as did Memento. And I bloody love The Prestige. And of course The Dark Knight. hitchcock is good, damn good, but Nolan is just blowing everyone out of the water

fernandito
10-22-2010, 06:04 AM
:thumbsup:

alinda
10-22-2010, 06:15 AM
:scared:THAT is horrifying to me.:unsure:

of course i havent seen any of those films , so.....

fernandito
10-22-2010, 07:11 AM
So you're knocking on Nolan, and you haven't seen any of his films ? Yeah, that makes total sense :P

Woofer
10-22-2010, 03:32 PM
William Castle

pathoftheturtle
10-22-2010, 03:41 PM
...if it's about who's the best director at the present moment, then Hitchcock is ineligible...We can try to imagine how contemporary films fit into the canon of all time. We can also try to imagine what it was like to see classic films when they were new. Both are good things to attempt, and both much harder than they seem.

Ricky
10-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Nolan. For reasons I've already stated.

Mattrick
10-22-2010, 08:27 PM
...if it's about who's the best director at the present moment, then Hitchcock is ineligible...We can try to imagine how contemporary films fit into the canon of all time. We can also try to imagine what it was like to see classic films when they were new. Both are good things to attempt, and both much harder than they seem.

It's hard to judge the overall quality of a movie when released. Some movies attain a level hype and praise and in several years it seems forgotten about. Then some movies come out to little reception and are beloved years later. Some movies do not age well at all while some are like a fine wine.

candy
10-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Nolan. for my own reasons

Jean
10-28-2010, 03:53 AM
so - is Hitchcock now officially declared the greatest?

::applause::

frik
10-28-2010, 05:24 AM
This could have ended a lot worse. Hitchcock definitely is one of the very best directors ever. Even hist worst films - Topaz?? - are worth watching.

sk

Jean
10-28-2010, 05:48 AM
hear, hear!

Woofer
10-28-2010, 07:32 AM
I guess I'll have to give Memento another try; it didn't snag my interest. I keep seeing it on Netflix and thinking that it sounds like something I would love, but then I remember trying to get into it that time... However, receptiveness is often filtered by so many things that I admit that I may've simply tried to watch it at the wrong time. The problem is that I've not yet found the right time since then.

Heather19
10-28-2010, 07:51 AM
so - is Hitchcock now officially declared the greatest?

::applause::

Yes! :rock:

fernandito
10-28-2010, 07:53 AM
Alfred Hitchcock is the winner !

Thread to follow ...

Mattrick
10-28-2010, 11:49 AM
You should call it...Alfred Hitchock Presents...Alfred Hitchcock!

Woofer
10-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Cowboy Fritos orange juice Daktari.