PDA

View Full Version : What are you currently reading?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

Erin
05-07-2007, 09:07 AM
Right now I'm on book 3 of the Harry Potter series. So far it's pretty fantastic and I can't believe I've waited this long to start on them.

I'm also currently reading a book on Julius Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy. Caesar was definitely a man before his time and so far i'm enjoying it immensely.

What are the rest of you reading?

Matt
05-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I am in the middle of listening to Cell on my commute. Its the second time through.

At home, its Lisey's Story!! Very good so far

Rjeso
05-07-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm reading through Judith Tarr's The Hound and The Falcon trilogy for the umpteenth time, because they are that fantastic. I'm also reading Matthew Pearl's The Dante Club, which is fun. I like the tone of the story. I'm poking through Nightmares and Dreamscapes and The Talisman as well.

Erin
05-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I remember when the Dante Club came out, I heard a bunch of really good reviews about it. It sounds like a good summer read.

Rjeso
05-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Yeah, it's good to while away an afternoon with. Nothing heavy-hitting or too deep, but fun.

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 09:58 AM
I just finished the Star Wars EU novel Exile. I don't have the next one in the series, so I am thinking of tackling Dostoevsky's Notes From the Underground. However, given that that school semester is nearly over, and my brain is nearly fried, I may look for some lighter reading, perhaps some of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files stuff.

Patrick
05-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I am in the middle of listening to Cell on my commute. Its the second time through.

At home, its Lisey's Story!! Very good so far
I'm listening to CELL on my commute as well. :couple: But it's the first time through for me. I kept meaning to start it, but then put it aside for three other books first, most recently AMERICAN GODS by Neil Gaiman, CARRIE by SK, and HEART-SHAPED BOX by Joe Hill.

Earlier I enjoyed LISEY'S STORY as well.

Erin
05-07-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm dying to get to Heart-Shaped box and the new Chuck Palahniuk book. I'll probably go buy both sometime next weekend.

fernandito
05-07-2007, 10:27 AM
I finished Cell a couple of days ago, definitely not one of my favorites.

I'm hoping to finally start the A Song of Ice and Fire series this weekend. :D

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 10:28 AM
American Gods is the best book ever.

Without giving anything away, the ending of CELL makes me angry enough to punch a baby.

I'm listening to CELL on my commute as well. :couple: But it's the first time through for me. I kept meaning to start it, but then put it aside for three other books first, most recently AMERICAN GODS by Neil Gaiman, CARRIE by SK, and HEART-SHAPED BOX by Joe Hill.

Earlier I enjoyed LISEY'S STORY as well.

Odetta
05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
I agree with the ending of CELL :doh:

I am finally over halfway through Weaveworld by Clive Barker. I read it while I'm riding the exercise bike!

Erin
05-07-2007, 10:31 AM
The Thief of Always by Clive Barker ranks up there as one of my all time favorite books. But oddly, it's the only book of his i've ever read.

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 10:33 AM
I really need to read more of Clive Barker's stuff. I am a big fan, but I just haven't read much of his stuff. Though I know it is different than most of his stuff, The Thief of Always is one of my favorite books. I read it over and over until I let someone borrow it and then they moved out of state without giving it back. I need to get a new copy.

I agree with the ending of CELL :doh:

I am finally over halfway through Weaveworld by Clive Barker. I read it while I'm riding the exercise bike!

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Erin, it would seem that we are on the same wave-length, as usual. :)

Erin
05-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Chris, Did you read my post before you wrote that or were we on the same brainwave? :scared:

fernandito
What's The Theif of Always about?

Erin
Dammit! It just happened again. Weird.

Fall of Gilead
05-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Still making my way through Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson.

Ari_Racing
05-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Today I received the ARC of Blaze, so I'll be reading it for the next two weeks for sure. :)
On the other hand I'm currently with "Swam song", by Robert McCammon.

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 10:39 AM

It is a sort of children's book/fable, but scary and adult at the same time. I guess you could call it A children's book for adults, much like Neil Gaiman's Coraline.

This is from Wikipedia:

It tells the story of a young boy named Harvey Swick, who is bored out of his mind in the dreary grey month of February and is swept away to the magical Holiday House by a strange, goblin-like man named Rictus. Here is where all his dreams can come true; and all his nightmares can haunt him. There he meets other characters, including a trio of cats (Blue Cat, Clue Cat and Stew Cat), Jive, Carna, Marr, Mrs. Griffin, Lulu, Wendell Hamilton the III, and Mr. Hood.

Odetta
05-07-2007, 10:39 AM
I would recommend Imajica by Clive Barker... it is the best I have read.
The problem with Barker is it takes awhile to get "into" the book. Once you're in there, it's hard to put down.

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Dammit! It just happened again. Weird.

:wub:

Erin
05-07-2007, 10:41 AM

It's supposed to be a kid's book, but has more than enough for adults to enjoy it. It's about a little boy who is bored to death with his life and he magically enters this place called the Holiday House, where all his dreams come true. He can eat whatever he wants, the seasons rotate daily, so everyday is Christmas, ect.. Then he realizes the evil lurking underneath the daydream and the rest of the story follows him trying to escape the clutches of the house.

It's really great.

* I'll check that one out, Odetta. Thanks.

Edit again - Chris! Stop posting what I post! :lol:

Candice Dionysus
05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
We-ell, I'm reading two books. One is Bag of Bones, and the other is The Kabbalah, which is translations of the first three books of the ZHR (Zohar, Book of Splendor).

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
It's supposed to be a kid's book, but has more than enough for adults to enjoy it. It's about a little boy who is bored to death with his life and he magically enters this place called the Holiday House, where all his dreams come true. He can eat whatever he wants, the seasons rotate daily, so everyday is Christmas, ect.. Then he realizes the evil lurking underneath the daydream and the rest of the story follows him trying to escape the clutches of the house.

It's really great.

* I'll check that one out, Odetta. Thanks.

Erin and I are actually the same person.

Patrick
05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
After I finish CELL, I plan to start in on Gaiman's ANANSI BOYS. :dance:

Matt
05-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Holy shit, there is some great book suggestions in here.

**writes stuff down**

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Anansi Boys is good, but a very different sort of book than American Gods. It is a comedy, and if you like the sort of dry british humor that Gaiman weaves through his other books, or, for example, if you really got a kick out of the song/story Anansi tells at the meeting in American Gods, then you should love Anansi Boys. I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan. I should really be on his payroll considering how much I push his stuff, and how many people I have gotten interested in him(erin being one of them).

After I finish CELL, I plan to start in on Gaiman's ANANSI BOYS. :dance:

Erin
05-07-2007, 10:54 AM
:lol: I feel that way about Stephen King. I've gotten so many people to start reading his stuff over the years that he should start paying me. :P

Patrick
05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Chris, AMERICAN GODS was the first Gaiman book I've read. Had you come along a month ago, you could have been the one to convert me. :lol:

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
A Song of Ice and Fire is an amazing series of books. No one is better than George R. R. Martin at making you interested in a ridiculous amount of characters, and constantly making you re-evaluate who is the "bad guy" or wether there are any bad guys at all. I have only read the first two. I actually really need to get back to reading those.

I finished Cell a couple of days ago, definitely not one of my favorites.

I'm hoping to finally start the A Song of Ice and Fire series this weekend. :D

Hannah
05-07-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm dying to get to Heart-Shaped box and the new Chuck Palahniuk book. I'll probably go by both sometime next weekend.

Oh! I totally forgot that Rant came out last week! I need to go grab it. It also looks like Chuck is not coming to Denver again this year on his tour. :angry:

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 10:59 AM
:lol: I feel that way about Stephen King. I've gotten so many people to start reading his stuff over the years that he should start paying me. :P

Yeah, my giving The Dark Tower another chance and becoming a Stephen King fan(I hated Stephen King for most of my life, for various reason) is a result of Erin's influence.

Frunobulax
05-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Lisey's Story
The Will To Power

Patrick
05-07-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm dying to get to Heart-Shaped box and the new Chuck Palahniuk book. I'll probably go buy both sometime next weekend.
Oh! I totally forgot that Rant came out last week! I need to go grab it. It also looks like Chuck is not coming to Denver again this year on his tour. :angry:
He was in Berkeley on Saturday night, but I couldn't make it. I called Cody's Bookstore on Saturday morning to request reserving three signed books (one for me and two as a surprise for two members of this site that I know are huge Palahniuk fans) but, because the appearance was to take place on campus rather than at the bookstore which causes logistical concerns, the bookstore people said it was too late. :(

fernandito
05-07-2007, 11:04 AM
I would recommend Imajica by Clive Barker... it is the best I have read.
The problem with Barker is it takes awhile to get "into" the book. Once you're in there, it's hard to put down.

Imajica is amazing. I love all that interdimensional travelling.

Erin
05-07-2007, 11:05 AM
OH MY GOSH! CHUCK PALAHNIUK IS COMING TO LEXINGTON, KY!!!!!!

On May 14th. You have no idea how much this just made my day, week, year. I'm going to wear the necklace he made me and actually meet him! Woo hoo! :wub:

If you can't tell, i'm excited.

Hannah - I could get him to sign something for you since he's being a dork and skipping out on Denver this year.

Frunobulax
05-07-2007, 11:05 AM
He was in Berkeley on Saturday night, but I couldn't make it. I called Cody's Bookstore on Saturday morning to request reserving three signed books (one for me and two as a surprise for two members of this site that I know are huge Palahniuk fans) but, because the appearance was to take place on campus rather than at the bookstore which causes logistical concerns, the bookstore people said it was too late. :(

That's kind of lame, but understandable.

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Hmm, I'd like to go to that. I can probably still request off.

On May 14th. You have no idea how much this just made my day, week, year. I'm going to wear the necklace he made me and actually meet him! Woo hoo! :wub:

Hannah - I could get him to sign something for you since he's being a dork and skipping out on Denver this year.

Patrick
05-07-2007, 11:07 AM
That's kind of lame, but understandable.
I thought so too, since I called at least seven hours before the event. Had the event been at the bookstore itself, like those things normally would have been, it wouldn't have been a problem.

Frunobulax
05-07-2007, 11:08 AM
If I ever go to Berkeley, I'll give you insider stuff.

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Wow, you actually have to pay $7 to get in to the signing in Lexington, because they are screening Fight Club, and you have to buy a copy of his book in order to be able to purchase a ticket with a maximum of two tickets per book purchased.

Frunobulax
05-07-2007, 11:11 AM
So all in all, at least $40?? For one signing?

Patrick
05-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Wow, you actually have to pay $7 to get in to the signing in Lexington, because they are screening Fight Club, and you have to buy a copy of his book in order to be able to purchase a ticket with a maximum of two tickets per book purchased.
Sounds pretty elaborate. The one in Berkeley was much more straightforward.

I'm still bummed I couldn't go, but I'm glad you'll go and get your own signed book, plus meet the man in person. :nana:

Erin
05-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Yea, it does sound pretty pricey, but i'll pay it. I love that man.

Rjeso
05-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Any of you read Tad Williams' Otherland series? If not, you should, judging by the descriptions of some of the preferred books here.

Frunobulax
05-07-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm hoping my library will have more Vonnegut.

towerguard
05-07-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm reading Mis-Education-Chomsky right now, I'm really into it.

Patrick
05-07-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm hoping my library will have more Vonnegut.
I love Vonnegut.

R.I.P.

Hannah
05-07-2007, 03:01 PM

:rock: I'd love you forever. Not that I wouldn't anyway, I'd just love you more. But seriously, I'm PMing you about this. I keep checking his website with my fingers crossed hoping that Denver will pop up on the list ... but no. I guess Denver's not good enough for him. :P

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 04:53 PM
As it turns out, I have to work on the day that Palahniuk will be here in Kentucky. :angry: It makes me want to punch a baby.

BlakeMP
05-07-2007, 05:00 PM
I just got a box with The Road and Heart-Shaped Box from my sweetie. :)

They go into the reading rotation as soon as I finish the Harry Potter re-read.

Hannah
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM
As it turns out, I have to work on the day that Palahniuk will be here in Kentucky. :angry: It makes me want to punch a baby.

You talk way too much about punching babies. :lol:

Telynn
05-07-2007, 06:25 PM
Just started The Bourne Ultimatium. I had read the first two long ago, and just finished re-reading them. Funny thing is I just saw the trailer for the movie. I was like *HUH*? I hadn't seen the first two movies, but I had heard they didn't really resemble the books much. Well, while the trailer for The Bourne Ultimatium looked like it might be a good movie, it sure doesn't resemble the book I'm reading.

OchrisO
05-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Some babies just need a good punching.

You talk way too much about punching babies. :lol:

Erin
05-08-2007, 04:14 PM
When I bought my tickets and book for the Palahniuk tour, I also got Heart-Shaped Box. I'm excited to read it.

OchrisO
05-08-2007, 04:18 PM
I just started Wizard for Hire. It is a collection of the first three of Jim Butcher's Dresden books, which the show on SciFi The Dresden Files is based on. I am really enjoying his writing style.

Favorite quote so far: "But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face. "

LadyGan
05-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Lisey's Story

Aaron
05-08-2007, 09:57 PM
I recommend Imajica, too. It reminds me a lot of the Dark Tower. Or at least its settings and mythology. I need to read it again soon.

I recently finished up Lisey's Story and the sixth Harry Potter novel. Right now I am reading The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card. It's my second time reading it. Card is such a readable little fucker. I'd highly recommend it, especially to anyone who was into Asimov's Foundation series.

John Blaze
05-08-2007, 10:40 PM
i'm currently reading a bunch of kids books i hadn't rad since I was way younger, like Maniac Mcgee, Red Badge of Courage, Call it Courage, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and Banner in the sky. I also ordered all the Prentice-Hall Literature readers they use from 7-12+ in schools. So I'm working my way thru them. There's ALOT of good shorts and excerpts in those books. I'm also gonna start my reread of The Good Earth and The Living Reed by Pearl Buck here shortly, i really like her. Can't wait for the new Harry Potter as well, and my sister hasn't asked me to buy it from her.

Has anyone here ever read the Tamora Pierce books?

Rjeso
05-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Maniac Mcgee

That was one of my favorites. You're the first person I know of outside of my elementary school who knows of that book.

Aaron
05-09-2007, 09:43 AM
How about the My Teacher is an Alien series? I loved those books. Hannah even remembers one of them, which gives me the warm fuzzies.

*sigh*

If only my teacher really had been an alien. Things would be so different. :P

Erin
05-09-2007, 09:50 AM
I used to love reading all the Goosebumbs books. Ahh memories.

I loved My Teacher is an Alien too!

fernandito
05-09-2007, 10:16 AM
I recommend Imajica, too. It reminds me a lot of the Dark Tower. Or at least its settings and mythology. I need to read it again soon.

I recently finished up Lisey's Story and the sixth Harry Potter novel. Right now I am reading The Worthing Saga by Orson Scott Card. It's my second time reading it. Card is such a readable little fucker. I'd highly recommend it, especially to anyone who was into Asimov's Foundation series.

Imajica is a fantastic book(s).

jhanic
05-09-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm rereading the Harry Potter books for the umpteenth time (I'm currently in the middle of Goblet), Tolkien's Children of Hurin and getting ready for Blaze!

John

John Blaze
05-09-2007, 10:54 AM
That was one of my favorites. You're the first person I know of outside of my elementary school who knows of that book.

I'm sure TONS of people know about that book.

and Aaron, i did read the my teacher is an alien books, i just dont think they were that good.

I also read all the goosebumps, and even though they were horribly written, the one about the Dummy freaked me out so much, i had to reread it a million times.

shit, one school year (4th grade) I read the ENTIRE Hardy Boys series. That's a shitload of books. The original set is 66 books i believe, which is as much as the books in the bible. nowadays they've added alot of crap, but I didn't read those. They're not worth it.

Erin
05-09-2007, 10:57 AM
That dummy one was horrifying. :o

I also read all the Christopher Pike books when I was a pre-teen. I was preparing myself for Stephen King. :lol:

I also loved the Nancy Drew books as a kid and the Bobsey Twins. I also liked the Little House on the Praire books.

OchrisO
05-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I read all of The Hardy Boys books in 7th grade. Good times.

I'm sure TONS of people know about that book.

and Aaron, i did read the my teacher is an alien books, i just dont think they were that good.

I also read all the goosebumps, and even though they were horribly written, the one about the Dummy freaked me out so much, i had to reread it a million times.

shit, one school year (4th grade) I read the ENTIRE Hardy Boys series. That's a shitload of books. The original set is 66 books i believe, which is as much as the books in the bible. nowadays they've added alot of crap, but I didn't read those. They're not worth it.

Rjeso
05-09-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm sure tons do, but you're the first I've known of. That's all I'm sayin.'

I didn't read Goosebumps much, but yeah, I did read that dummy one. Didn't they turn it into an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?, too?

Erin
05-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Oh man, who remembers the Choose Your Own Adventure books?

I loved those things. I bet I've read them all.

Rjeso
05-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Those were the best. It was fun going through and deliberately not ending up with the same story every time.

OchrisO
05-09-2007, 11:19 AM
I loved the Choose Your Own adventure books. I think they are directly responsible for me becoming a Dungeons and Dragons nerd. I had an awesome one when I was in 8th grade or so that you actually used dice and such with, but I read it so much that it fell apart. :(

John Blaze
05-09-2007, 11:19 AM

I also read all the Christopher Pike books when I was a pre-teen. I was preparing myself for Stephen King. :lol:

I also loved the Nancy Drew books as a kid and the Bobsey Twins. I also liked the Little House on the Praire books.

i read the little house on the prairie books, they were ok, for girls. Also the Boxcar Children series, another mystery solving kids series (there were a million of those back then, huh? :scared: )

I never really liked Pike too much, because I had already read IT the first time I picked up one of his books. The Last Vampire Trilogy was really good though, as well as Monster. For some reason that book i really liked.

OchrisO
05-09-2007, 11:21 AM
I actually read every single Laura Ingles Wilder(The Little House on the Praire stuff) book when I was 12 years old, and I have absoloutely no explanation for it. haha.

Erin
05-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Yea, The Little House stuff is pretty girly. So were the Babysitter's Club. :lol: But I read those too.

John Blaze
05-09-2007, 11:23 AM
Oh man, who remembers the Choose Your Own Adventure books?

I loved those things. I bet I've read them all.

my favorite was the one about the magic carpet, i think it might still be at my moms house in a box somewhere......

John Blaze
05-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I actually read every single Laura Ingles Wilder(The Little House on the Praire stuff) book when I was 12 years old, and I have absoloutely no explanation for it. haha.

one summer that i was away from a library and school i read 4 romance novels my mom has gotten in the mail as one of those book club things. sometimes you just hafta read.

Patrick
05-09-2007, 12:42 PM
i'm currently reading a bunch of kids books i hadn't rad since I was way younger, like Maniac Mcgee, Red Badge of Courage, Call it Courage, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and Banner in the sky. ...

I loved ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS when I was elementary school. Now that you brought it up, I want to read it again.

John Blaze
05-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I loved ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS when I was elementary school. Now that you brought it up, I want to read it again.

while you're at it, read Call it Courage. It's the same caliber type book, but it's about a boy.

Matt
05-09-2007, 02:31 PM
Christopher Pike

Wasn't that the name of the captain that was in a weird wheel chair in the very first Star Trek pilot?

Telynn
05-09-2007, 05:57 PM

Now your talking! Nancy Drew and the Bobsey Twins!!! And Little House in the Big Woods was my favorite.

Telynn
05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Wasn't that the name of the captain that was in a weird wheel chair in the very first Star Trek pilot?

I do believe it was.

That Joking White Guy
05-09-2007, 06:13 PM
I've been reading quite a bit recently

I finished 2 books in the past few days that are fairly decent
"Why Orwell Matters" By Christopher Hitchens
"Jerusalem Syndrome" By Marc Maron

and right now I'm reading through "The Book Of Five Rings" By Miyamoto Musashi
which is also fantastic, if you're into that kind of Japanese Samurai culture thing.

John Blaze
05-10-2007, 10:44 AM
It's not in Japanese or anything, is it?

If not it sounds like something I might enjoy reading.

Patrick
05-10-2007, 02:45 PM
while you're at it, read Call it Courage. It's the same caliber type book, but it's about a boy.
OK, thanks. I don't think I read that one, I'll look for it when I start getting caught up on my reading list.

Cutter
05-10-2007, 05:53 PM
The last two I've read were:

Thomas F. Monteleone - Fearful Symmetries
- if you like short fiction, Thomas is very good at it. This was a great collection of short stories, and I highly recommend the book. I was turning page after page with ease, I loved it!

King - From A Buick 8
Reading this book after reading The Colorado Kid produced some some obvious similarities. This book is a story about the mystery of the Buick 8. Even though we are given hope that there will be a closure to the Buick 8 at the end of the story, it really isn't the meat of the story, the meat is the mystery.

Also, The Buick 8 is the main character of the novel, just like the the dead man from Colorado was the main character from The Colorado Kid. I found these two novels to be similar in delivery, it's just one had a supernatural aspect, but in reality they were almost the same story.

I give it a grade of C

Currently I'm almost finished with the first Discworld book, Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. It's ok, and I can't help but to compare him to Piers Anthony and the Xanth novels. It's a fun little read, but it has nothing substantial that I can take away from this novel. Another C, at this point (we'll see...)

sai delgado
05-10-2007, 11:39 PM
currently re reading a game of thrones By GRRM
also reading cell by SK

That Joking White Guy
05-11-2007, 01:45 AM
It's not in Japanese or anything, is it?

If not it sounds like something I might enjoy reading.
Nah, it's a very popular and influential book so it's been widely translated into english and other languages. You can find it for free online(in english) pretty easy but I saw a copy for cheap at Barnes and Noble and I would rather read a book in bed than sit at my computer.

ManOfWesternesse
05-11-2007, 05:40 AM
Currently on (yet another) re-read of Lord of the Rings.

sai delgado
05-11-2007, 05:47 AM
you're always re-reading lord of the rings :lol:

ManOfWesternesse
05-11-2007, 06:09 AM
you're always re-reading lord of the rings :lol:

No,no, only once a year (and it takes a couple weeks).

sai blaine
05-11-2007, 06:35 AM
A Feast For Crows - GRRM

John Blaze
05-11-2007, 06:38 AM
MOW! glad you could make it, buddy! :D

JWG, i alos would rather read a book in bed. I'll have to look for it soon. Although I doubt they have it at the local Hastings, I'll probably have to get it next time I go to a bigger city. (No barnes & noble or borders here)

Fall of Gilead
05-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Currently I'm almost finished with the first Discworld book, Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett. It's ok, and I can't help but to compare him to Piers Anthony and the Xanth novels. It's a fun little read, but it has nothing substantial that I can take away from this novel. Another C, at this point (we'll see...)

Discworld is a great series. The books get funnier as you go along.

Cutter
05-11-2007, 03:17 PM
Discworld is a great series. The books get funnier as you go along.

yea FoG, that's what I was expecting (and hoping). Since this book is his first, I had a feeling he got better as a writer. I also have The Light Fantastic, and Thud. So I should get a better feel of him as a writer, after a couple more of his works.

Matt
05-12-2007, 05:43 AM
No,no, only once a year (and it takes a couple weeks).

I do the same thing. :lol:

The last time was an unabridged version on about 30 CD's

Fall of Gilead
05-12-2007, 11:02 AM
yea FoG, that's what I was expecting (and hoping). Since this book is his first, I had a feeling he got better as a writer. I also have The Light Fantastic, and Thud. So I should get a better feel of him as a writer, after a couple more of his works.

Any scene with Death is the funniest. Check out his books with Death as the main character, such as Soul Music, Mort or Hogfather.

fernandito
05-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Has anyone read (or heard of) The Golden Compass books? I heard there's a game being released based on the books for the PS3.

LadyHitchhiker
05-12-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm double reading.

I am reading: "If the stars are gods" AND "The drawing of the three"

The_Nameless
05-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Bone by Jeff Smith
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
The Unknown Soldier by Various Writers

And contemplating on starting Floating Dragon by Peter Straub

Brice
05-12-2007, 10:28 PM
Bone by Jeff Smith
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
The Unknown Soldier by Various Writers

And contemplating on starting Floating Dragon by Peter Straub

You should. It's an excellent story.

John Blaze
05-12-2007, 11:22 PM
FP, what are the compass books about?

fernandito
05-13-2007, 08:22 PM
FP, what are the compass books about?

Well, according to GameInformer™: "The Golden Compass follows the story of a young girl named Lyra Belacqua who lives in an alternate version of our world. In this place, all humans have a constant animal companion called a daemon that is essentially part of their being. Lyra's adventure begins when she sets off with a group called the Gyptians to rescue her friend Rodger and the many other children who have been kidnapped by the mysterious Gobblers.She eventually obtains an alethliometer (a.k.a the golden compass),which will answer any question you ask it by pointing to a series of coded symbols.Lyra is one of only a few people in the world who can actually decipher these codes."

Patrick
05-14-2007, 10:29 AM
I finished reading CELL. Wow. That turned out to be a much better book than I expected it to be. I thought the ending was superb. (Take that, OchrisO :P.)

Currently I'm continuing with a re-read of ON THE ROAD by Jack Kerouac. At some point, I'll start in on ANANSI BOYS by Neil Gaiman.

tamez
05-14-2007, 10:40 AM
I also loved the ending to Cell.

at first I was a little surprised
but, after going over the details
i got the answers i was looking for
in King's words.
it was great.

currently reading:
I'm re-reading Hearts in Atlantis
but almost finished with that
I think i'm going to download Lisey's story
to my Ipod tonight actually.

fernandito
05-14-2007, 11:11 AM
I hated the 'ending' to Cell.

Patrick
05-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I also loved the ending to Cell.

at first I was a little surprised
but, after going over the details
i got the answers i was looking for
in King's words.
it was great.

currently reading:
I'm re-reading Hearts in Atlantis
but almost finished with that
I think i'm going to download Lisey's story
to my Ipod tonight actually.

Tamez, you must PM me these answers of which you spreak. Please. :)

HIA is one of my favorite King books.

OchrisO
05-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Your taste in Kerouac is superb, however, your taste in Stephen King endings is lacking. :)

I finished reading CELL. Wow. That turned out to be a much better book than I expected it to be. I thought the ending was superb. (Take that, OchrisO :P.)

Currently I'm continuing with a re-read of ON THE ROAD by Jack Kerouac. At some point, I'll start in on ANANSI BOYS by Neil Gaiman.

John Blaze
05-14-2007, 10:26 PM
Cell had an ending? :O

i don't remember one.

ManOfWesternesse
05-15-2007, 02:54 AM
^^ I also loved the Cell ending - great Book overall. (one of those I'll re-read many a time).

Still on my current LotR re-read.
Bought Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' at the weekend so that'll be next.

Brice
05-15-2007, 06:23 AM
I'm currently reading:

The Eyes Of The Dragon (again)
W&G (again)
Shivers IV
We're All In This Together
Mid Life Confidential

OchrisO
05-15-2007, 06:30 AM
I started listening to the last half of A Clash of Kings on audio book between reading the Dresden stuff.

Ruki
05-15-2007, 06:30 AM
wizard and glass (cheating-audiobook)

Hannah
05-15-2007, 07:40 AM
The Count of Monte Cristo
The World is Flat (I've been muddling through this bastard since December)
The Audacity of Hope (i'm still muddling through this one as well)
rereading Choke

John Blaze
05-15-2007, 11:21 AM
[QUOTE=Hannah;5107]The Count of Monte Cristo
Shit, i forgot this one on my favorite's threads.

The Count of Monte Cristo and The Four Feathers are also 2 of my favorites. I just finished a reread of it myself a couple weeks ago. Maybe another couple months and I'll do it again.

Currently rereading Atlas Shrugged, also one of my favorites.

Hannah
05-15-2007, 11:26 AM
This is my first time reading it, but I'm surprised by how quickly I am getting sucked into the story. I didn't expect it to be so readable.

Fall of Gilead
05-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Started a continuation of The Ice Limit by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

Patrick
05-15-2007, 04:21 PM
:lol: King's books are always about the journey, not the destination.

That's why I was fine with the ending of the DT series as well.

Your taste in Kerouac is superb, however, your taste in Stephen King endings is lacking. :)

Letti
05-15-2007, 09:31 PM
I am reading 'Memoirs of a Geisha'.
I didn't want to start to read it but I looked into it I read one page and I couldn't put it down, anymore.

Patrick
05-15-2007, 09:48 PM
I am reading 'Memoirs of a Geisha'.
I didn't want to start to read it but I looked into it I read one page and I couldn't put it down, anymore.

I loved that book!

John Blaze
05-15-2007, 09:53 PM
It's a book? :o

sai delgado
05-16-2007, 01:06 AM
a midsummer nights dream by shakespeare, haven't read it for years and it still makes me laugh :lol:

fernandito
05-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Neil Geiman pays homage to that story in his Sandman comics. :)

MonteGss
05-16-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm horrible, I'm currently not reading anything. I am listening to Wizard and Glass.

Letti
05-16-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm horrible, I'm currently not reading anything. I am listening to Wizard and Glass.

*is envious*

sarah
05-16-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm listening to The wastelands in my car and I'm listening to The Gunslinger on my computer. (I just finished listening to The Drawing of the Three...good times fo sho)

Telynn
05-16-2007, 07:08 PM
I just saw a book written by Tabitha King and someone else (I think the guy died and she took over the unfinished manuscript or something like that) called The Candle Burning. It looked spooky and creepy but in a maybe good way. Anyone read it and can tell me about it? I don't like REALLY scary stuff (I have read IT for that reason) but a little creepy and some gore doesn't usually bother me.

John Blaze
05-17-2007, 12:08 PM
: O you guys need to read more!

Telynn
05-17-2007, 06:21 PM
: O you guys need to read more!

If I read too much Zone gets jealous.

ZoNeSeeK
05-17-2007, 06:24 PM
what

why

because you dont put out? :)

Telynn
05-17-2007, 07:14 PM
You got all upset when I was reading The Wheel of Time.:rock:

John Blaze
05-17-2007, 10:43 PM
telynn, you really should put out.

i read somewhere putting out gives you a better complexion, and hair, and umm, it burns calories. lots of good reasons to put out.

VolsToTheWall
05-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Tolkien's Children of Hurin
I read an advertisment for this book the other day. How is it?

shit, one school year (4th grade) I read the ENTIRE Hardy Boys series.
I was into the old Hardy Boys books once upon a time. I probably read all the original ones. Did anyone else read The Three Investigators series? Something along the same vein. I used to have a bunch of those books. I don't know what happened to them. I think I left them in the basement and my Mom threw 'em away. hehe

I loved the Choose Your Own adventure books. I think they are directly responsible for me becoming a Dungeons and Dragons nerd. I had an awesome one when I was in 8th grade or so that you actually used dice and such with, but I read it so much that it fell apart.
I was also into the Choose Your Own Adventure series. I think I read all of the ones from the original run. There was another series along the same lines that I really enjoyed as a youngster called Fighting Fantasy. Did anyone else here read that? I used to have a bunch of those as well. I even remember my favorite two of the bunch, Deathtrap Dungeon and House of Hell. Those books were a lot of fun.

As far as what I'm currently reading, I'm doing another re-read of the DT series. It's been long enough since my last and I want a refresher. The comics had me wanting to start a re-read, now I'm actually doing it.

John Blaze
05-18-2007, 10:33 AM
been about 4 months since my last rereard, i reckon I'll start one soon myself.

Feverish, have you received that book from Amazon yet?

fernandito
05-18-2007, 11:21 AM
been about 4 months since my last rereard, i reckon I'll start one soon myself.

Feverish, have you received that book from Amazon yet?

Yes sir :D, although I didn't have time to start it yesterday. Hopefully my obligations for this weekend are minimal so that I can start pounding my way through this book. :dance:

BlakeMP
05-19-2007, 06:44 AM
Having finished my epic re-read of the Harry Potter books, I've moved on to The Great Snape Debate. :D

John Blaze
05-19-2007, 11:35 PM
i started that on the Borders website, but of course, didn't finish it. It seems very good.

Let us know, Blake.

and FP, i hope you enjoy it thoroughly.

Darkthoughts
05-21-2007, 01:27 AM
:thumbsup: definately. Chris, have you read Fragile Things his new collection of short stories? Theres a "what happened next" type of tale about Shadow in there - totally worth buying the book for that alone!

I'm struggling through a Tad William's book my sister lent me...not really my cup of tea, I'm afraid I find 90% of fantasy to be LotR rip offs, but its not too bad as these things go. I'm just killing book time until Deathly Hallows comes out ;)

OchrisO
05-21-2007, 02:51 AM
:thumbsup: definately. Chris, have you read Fragile Things his new collection of short stories? Theres a "what happened next" type of tale about Shadow in there - totally worth buying the book for that alone!

I'm struggling through a Tad William's book my sister lent me...not really my cup of tea, I'm afraid I find 90% of fantasy to be LotR rip offs, but its not too bad as these things go. I'm just killing book time until Deathly Hallows comes out ;)

Yep. I just finished it recently. I bought it a while back, but had to get through some other stuff before I finished it, plus college was taking up all of my time. It was a wonderful book all around. I really enjoyed it. The Sherlock Holmes story was probably my favorite of the book, if you don't count the Shadow Novella. All of them were grand, though. I try to read anything Gaiman written. I still haven't been able to pick up any of his run on the Eternals comic, though. :(

MonteGss
05-21-2007, 03:17 AM
Lightning
Dean Koontz

"eh..."

Darkthoughts
05-21-2007, 03:36 AM
[QUOTE=Darkthoughts;7238][QUOTE=OchrisO;1697]The Sherlock Holmes story was probably my favorite of the book, if you don't count the Shadow Novella.

Yep, i totally dug that too - he shines at that style of writing! The Tori Amos inspired stuff was a little bizarre, but I agree, a good book all round.

I was really into the Lucifer spin off comics a while back - have you read those?

ManOfWesternesse
05-21-2007, 05:25 AM
Finished my LotR re-read this morning.
Will probably make a start on McCarthy's The Road this evening.

Erin
05-21-2007, 11:14 AM
I think you'll enjoy it Brian!

P.S- It's funny that FINALLY i've read a book before you and can actually recommend it to you instead of the other way around like it usually is. :P

OchrisO
05-21-2007, 11:39 AM
I have read a bit of the Lucifer stuff, but not near enough.

I liked the Tori stuff, but I'm a big Tori Amos fan anyway. I love how the two of them are constantly working each other into their stuff.

[QUOTE=Darkthoughts;7238][QUOTE=OchrisO;1697]The Sherlock Holmes story was probably my favorite of the book, if you don't count the Shadow Novella.

Yep, i totally dug that too - he shines at that style of writing! The Tori Amos inspired stuff was a little bizarre, but I agree, a good book all round.

I was really into the Lucifer spin off comics a while back - have you read those?

Darkthoughts
05-22-2007, 01:41 AM
I've got Little Earthquakes, which is a great album - perhaps I'd appreciate the Tori stories more if I knew the album that they relate to.

OchrisO
05-22-2007, 03:03 AM
I've got Little Earthquakes, which is a great album - perhaps I'd appreciate the Tori stories more if I knew the album that they relate to.

Did you notice the Neil gaiman references on Little Earthquakes?

"If you need me, me and Neil'll be hangin' out with the dream king / Neil said hi, by the way" ("Tear In Your Hand," 1992)

She makes a lot of other references to him as well.

"Seems I keep getting this story twisted, so where's Neil when you need him?" ("Space Dog," 1994)
"Will you find me if Neil makes me a tree?" ("Horses," 1996) — Gaiman based the character of the talking tree in Stardust on Amos at her request after Neil stayed with her while beginning work on the novel
"Where are the Velvets?" ("Hotel," 1998) — the Velvets being vampire-like characters from Gaiman's novel Neverwhere
"Get me Neil on the line... / have him read Snow, Glass, Apples" ("Carbon," 2002)
The lyric "Where's Neil When You Need Him?" is also the title of a 2006 tribute album to Neil. Tori and sixteen other artists wrote songs about their favorite Gaiman stories or characters; Neil wrote the liner notes and Dave McKean did the artwork.

And, he makes references to her as well. Delerium is Sandman wa smodeled after her personality, adn even looks like her in Brief Lives. The talking tree in StarDust is also her, which is where the "Will you find me if Neil makes me a tree?" comes from.

The short stories in Fragile Things are from her albums Strange Little Girls and Scarlet's Walk. The 12 'Strange Little Girls very short stories are of course for the Strange Little Girls album and "Pages from a Journal Found in a Shoebox Left in a Greyhound Bus Somewhere Between Tulsa, Oklahoma, and Louisville, Kentucky" was for Scarlet's Walk

Geez, I seriously know too much about Neil Gaiman.

ManOfWesternesse
05-22-2007, 05:07 AM
I think you'll enjoy it Brian!

P.S- It's funny that FINALLY i've read a book before you and can actually recommend it to you instead of the other way around like it usually is. :P

Nice one Erin.:clap:
Well, I'm well into The Road now (nearly half way - its a short book).
Have to say it's amazingly good.
It's maybe the bleakest book I've ever read -
but yes, so far it's damn good.

MonteGss
05-22-2007, 06:17 AM

MOW, how many times have you read LOTR exactly? :)

Rjeso
05-22-2007, 06:31 AM

Which book? From the sounds of it, I'm assuming you're reading the Dragonbone Chair/Stone of Farewell/To Green Angel Tower series.

I agree, many fantasy books are LotR ripoffs, the worst being Dennis L. McKiernan's Iron Tower trilogy. They even go through a Dwarven mine and face a huge monster. It's insane. At least he flat-out says that the series was "inspired" by LotR... I like his characters, though, so I read it anyway.

But, when a man basically defines a genre, it's going to be hard to find other books in that genre that don't echo the original at least a bit. Generally I like Tad Williams. Have you read his Otherland series or War of the Flowers? I liked Tailchaser's Song a lot when I was younger, too.

ManOfWesternesse
05-22-2007, 07:26 AM

MOW, how many times have you read LOTR exactly? :)

Exactly? - I dunno - lost count at times over the years.
Roughly? - I'd make it something over 25 times. (I love that Book:lol: )

Darkthoughts
05-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Which book? From the sounds of it, I'm assuming you're reading the Dragonbone Chair/Stone of Farewell/To Green Angel Tower series.

Thats the ones! Dragonbone Chair has really picked up its pace in the last few chapters - once he encounters the Sithi caught in the tree the adventure gets going - I'll definately read the whole set.

Chris - those references were cool - they'd completely passed me by, apart from Delirium - shes sooo Tori!

Fall of Gilead
05-22-2007, 12:36 PM
Dragonbone Chair, War of the Flowers

Two more books on the shelf I have yet to read.

Rjeso
05-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Well, get on that, dude! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/silver_phoenix11/smileys/whip.gif

:D

Fall of Gilead
05-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Cupcake, I love you, but poor werebat has about 4-5 books in a state of mid-read!! :P

Rjeso
05-22-2007, 01:10 PM
:lol: So now I'm Cupcake? Nice.

Fine, fine, fine. In that case, get on the reading, already! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/silver_phoenix11/smileys/whip.gif

Fall of Gilead
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
:rofl:

Patrick
05-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Currently reading all of the following:

THE YIDDISH POLICEMEN'S UNION by Michael Chabon

ANANSI BOYS by Neil Gaiman - I read AMERICAN GODS about a month ago and quite enjoyed it, but so far I like this book even better.

and a re-read of ON THE ROAD by Jack Kerouac, that keeps getting interrupted by books I'm reading for the first time.

ManOfWesternesse
05-24-2007, 05:11 AM
Finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road.
Beautiful book. Highly recommend it.

Now started on a re-read of Stephen Donaldson's 'Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever' - Book 1 - Lord Foul's Bane.

funky dredd
05-24-2007, 08:54 AM
I am currently listening to The Gunslinger audio book read by Stephen King as I am recording them digitally to put them to CD. :D

Cutter
05-24-2007, 12:02 PM
Currently reading all of the following:

THE YIDDISH POLICEMEN'S UNION by Michael Chabon

ANANSI BOYS by Neil Gaiman - I read AMERICAN GODS about a month ago and quite enjoyed it, but so far I like this book even better.

and a re-read of ON THE ROAD by Jack Kerouac, that keeps getting interrupted by books I'm reading for the first time.
nice selections Patrick!

I'm reading 'and Hell Followed with Them' a 4 novella collection. I've read the one by Tim Lebbon, so far. It's a lot like 28 days later, but what it lacks in originality, makes up in creepy storytelling. I still haven't shaken that one out of my head yet. :onfire:

That Joking White Guy
05-26-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm currently reading "The Tao Of War" by Wang Chen and translated by Ralph D. Sawyer

It's basically a philosophy of war, aimed at harm reduction that applies the principals and theory of the Tao Te Ching

Chassit
05-27-2007, 06:44 AM
I just finished "Cell" by Stephen King this AM...not sure what to read next...

XIX

MonteGss
05-27-2007, 07:03 AM
I am about to start The Scarlet Letter by Nathanel Hawthorne.

Last night I finished Lightning by Dean Koontz. *eh*

Fall of Gilead
05-27-2007, 09:49 AM
Started In the Flesh by Clive Barker, which I guess is essentially Books of Blood #5. It's pretty good so far.

fernandito
05-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Started In the Flesh by Clive Barker, which I guess is essentially Books of Blood #5. It's pretty good so far.

Have you read Imajica by Barker yet?

Fall of Gilead
05-27-2007, 12:43 PM
It's on the "to read" bookshelf, along with Cabal, Weaveworld (read most of it but I'm gonna start over), Galilee.

Bethany
05-27-2007, 01:09 PM
From A Buick 8. I rushed through it when I got it for Christmas and then sorta forgot I had it. It's a much better story than I had remembered.

Darkthoughts
05-28-2007, 12:28 AM
I've given up on Dragonbone Chair - I just can't get into it. Might wait until the Gunslinger group re-read instead of starting something new...I've gotten into a game on my ds which is distracting me from most things lately :D

John Blaze
05-28-2007, 08:23 PM
From a Buick 8 i've tried to read like 5 times, I just can't get into it.

Jean
05-28-2007, 08:35 PM
From a Buick 8 i've tried to read like 5 times, I just can't get into it.
hope you'll be luckier this time, it is a good book

Frunobulax
05-28-2007, 09:32 PM
I've started the five dialogues of Plato.

ManOfWesternesse
05-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Reading Cormac McCarthy's 'No Country for Old Men' - Very damn good!

(Got my 'Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever' on the back-burner for a couple of days - then I'll get back to it)

Hannah
05-29-2007, 06:47 AM
I'm still reading The Count of Monte Cristo.

I'm really liking it so far. I wish that it wouldn't have sat on my bookshelf for so long before I finally picked it up.

Jean
05-29-2007, 06:51 AM

I'm really liking it so far. I wish that it wouldn't have sat on my bookshelf for so long before I finally picked it up.
do you mean, by Dumas? I love it. Thank you for reminding, I haven't re-read it in about fifteen years. Did you read Les Trois Mousquetaires?

sarah
05-29-2007, 07:24 AM
I just started Wizard and Glass. I haven't read this book in years and so far I'm enjoying it. I wish my library had this on cd. I'm getting spoiled to having books play while I'm doing stuff around the house and riding in the car.

Odetta
05-29-2007, 04:44 PM
OK, JUST finished Weaveworld - Clive Barker and now I'm reading "The God Delusion"

John Blaze
05-30-2007, 10:11 AM

I'm the same way. I loved the Jim Caviezel movie, and ended up buying the count of monte cristo in a used bookstore. Then it sat there for a LOOOONG time, and when I finally did read it, it's because i had nothing new to read, and I LOVED it. It is so much different from the movie, although I love both as individual pieces, and it's awesome.

Hannah
05-30-2007, 10:15 AM

do you mean, by Dumas? I love it. Thank you for reminding, I haven't re-read it in about fifteen years. Did you read Les Trois Mousquetaires?

I haven't read that one yet. Would you recommend it? I was thinking Les Miserables for my next Dumas...

Jean
05-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Les Misérables is Victor Hugo, and very different from Dumas, much harder reading. Some people love it, though; I absolutely recommend Les Trois Mousquetaires, it's great; and I would recommend Les Misérables, too, because one great movie is based on it (by Claude Leluch): it is not after the book (the action takes place mostly during World War Two), but without the book it can't be properly understood, and it is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Erin
05-30-2007, 10:33 AM
I've been wanting to read The Three Musketeers for years now. Ever read it Jean?

Jean
05-30-2007, 10:52 AM
I read it first when I was six (in Russian), and then in French a few years later, and have been re-reading ever since. I don't really know how it would read to a grown-up, and I don't know if the English translation is good. That said, I can only hope you'll love it!

It has always been immensely popular in Russia. We've had movies, and plays, and musicals, and all boys always had swordfights and all that, pretending they were the musketeers, and modeled their ideas of honor and friendship on that book... as if it was part of our Russian culture... which it really was. It's interesting that when I re-read it already as a grownup, I noticed for the first time that it was as much about honor and friendship as the Russian idea of that book went... but generations of boys read it already knowing the myth, and the myth was so better than the book...

(oops, I didn't mean to write an essay)

... when we - my two best friends and I - were Les Trois Mousquetaires (I said, all boys were), I was Athos.

John Blaze
05-30-2007, 12:51 PM
oh yeah, well I was Lancelot :P

and Raphael (TMNT)

and Lion-O ;)

BlakeMP
05-30-2007, 12:53 PM
I was either Optimus Prime or Snake-Eyes.

That is, when I wasn't Superman.

(I'm reading Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill.)

John Blaze
05-30-2007, 01:31 PM
my brother was Superman, i was Green Lantern.

BlakeMP
05-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Hal Jordan, I'm guessing?

Hannah
05-30-2007, 01:48 PM
Les Misérables is Victor Hugo, and very different from Dumas, much harder reading. Some people love it, though; I absolutely recommend Les Trois Mousquetaires, it's great; and I would recommend Les Misérables, too, because one great movie is based on it (by Claude Leluch): it is not after the book (the action takes place mostly during World War Two), but without the book it can't be properly understood, and it is one of the greatest movies ever made.

Hmm how did I get those two authors confused? :beat:

I'll try The Three Musketeers next then, after Black House, Stranger Than Fiction, Rant, and Redeeming Love. :scared:

John Blaze
05-30-2007, 02:00 PM
John Stewart, actually.

Right now I'm almost done reading a collection of Short Stories of Russian authors such as Tolstoy, Nikolai Gogol, Anton Chekhov, Anna Akhmatova, and Boris Pasternak. Of these, I'd have to say Nikolai Gogol is my favorite. Besides Tolstoy, of course. I also just read a collection of short stories by Guy De Maupassant, a frenchman which I enjoy vary much indeed, he has great short stories such as The Diamon Necklace, and Two Friends. There's a place online where you can find The Diamond Necklace, if you google it.

Also tried some Kafka, which I hated immediately.

SON-OF-WAYNE
05-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Im new here; I just finished reading book 7 of the series. I Might read The Stand next.....not sure.

jemaher
05-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Just started cormac mccarthy's The Road am reading guns germs and steel, just finished fallen angel.

Cutter
05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
guns germs and steel
I asked for this book on my birthday or Christmas (can't remember) when it came out, and I've never touched it. One of these days I need to get off my lazy butt and read it!

Jean
05-30-2007, 10:22 PM
oh yeah, well I was Lancelot :P
so was I, when we were not playng Les Trois Mousquetaires. It's that Twinner thing again. It doesn't even surprize me any more.

Im new here; I just finished reading book 7 of the series. I Might read The Stand next.....not sure.
great choice

John Blaze
05-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Son of Wayne, you really should.

and welcome to palaver!

ManOfWesternesse
05-31-2007, 05:21 AM
Just started cormac mccarthy's The Road .....
Excellent Book - one of the best new read's I've had in a few years.

I've just finished Cormac McCarthy's 'No Country for Old Men' - good read too.

Now returned to my 'Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever'

Telynn
05-31-2007, 06:55 PM

Speaking of.... when's the next book supposed to be out? I'm ready dammit!

Ruthful
05-31-2007, 07:58 PM
http://www.longitudebooks.com/images/book_large/KOR18.jpg

http://www.simonsays.com/assets/isbn/074329503X/C_074329503X.jpg

http://img.slate.com/media/1/123125/122946/2112097/2127381/051017_bo_YearMagicalThinki.jpg

http://images.salon.com/books/review/2006/09/01/zamyatin/story.jpg

http://www.intellectualconservative.com/images/blackrednecks.jpg

Jimmy
05-31-2007, 11:04 PM
I decided to give James Patterson a try, so I recently read "The 6th Target."
If the rest of his books are anything like this one, I'm never going to read him again. Very poor, very boring, very bland.

ManOfWesternesse
06-01-2007, 03:48 AM

Speaking of.... when's the next book supposed to be out? I'm ready dammit!

Fatal Revenant is slated for October '07 - & yes, I'm damn ready dammit!

Cutter
06-01-2007, 09:37 AM
Fatal Revenant is slated for October '07 - & yes, I'm damn ready dammit!
Me Too!

It's nice to see some Donaldson fans here :thumbsup:

Chassit
06-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Currently reading Everything's Eventual

XIX

Bethany
06-01-2007, 01:32 PM
OK, JUST finished Weaveworld - Clive Barker and now I'm reading "The God Delusion"

Did you like Weaveworld? Those creepy sisters have invaded my dreams ever since I first read it years ago.

Currently reading? Nada:cry: Can't find anything that intrests me.

Fall of Gilead
06-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Mousetrap and Other Plays by Agatha Christie.

alinda
06-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks to a dear @ .net I am reading Insomnia again.
only this time its my book!!:rock:

Bethany
06-03-2007, 01:58 PM
A Wrinkle In Time. I found it at Wal Mart today for under 5 bucks. I read most of it sitting in the park today. For a short while, I was 9 again and head over heels for Calvin.

:cry: and now I am back to being bookless.

Jimmy
06-03-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm reading "Fistful of Rain" by Greg Rucka. It's good, it's really, really good.

Darkthoughts
06-04-2007, 02:29 AM
Just started The Testament of Gregory Mack - I hope its as good as the blurb on the back cover!

She-Oy
06-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Just finished The Road last night, one hell of a brilliant book....and now I am reading Dancing Wu Li Masters by Gary Zukav.

Matt
06-04-2007, 06:33 AM
**in response to Sarah listening to W&G**

Isn't it wonderful? :cool:

Odetta
06-04-2007, 06:35 AM

Did you like Weaveworld? Those creepy sisters have invaded my dreams ever since I first read it years ago.

agreed.... they were one of the best parts of that book!
I enjoyed it, but it took me awhile to get into it... but that's true for me with most Clive Barker books.

nyy3723a
06-04-2007, 06:47 AM
About 2/3 through David McCullough's biography of John Adams - a truly insightful read.

People were a lot smarter 200 years ago than they are today!

BlakeMP
06-04-2007, 07:48 AM
Archie's Pals 'n Gals Double Digest

Truly gripping literature. :lol:

Frunobulax
06-04-2007, 09:33 AM
Maybe I can find some Vonnegut at the library today to supplement my slow-ass reading of Lisey's Story.

fernandito
06-04-2007, 10:16 AM

agreed.... they were one of the best parts of that book!
I enjoyed it, but it took me awhile to get into it... but that's true for me with most Clive Barker books.

I've noticed that about some of CB's books - they take a while to get into, but if you stick with the story it really ends up paying off.

Fall of Gilead
06-04-2007, 10:44 AM
That's the way I was with Great and Secret Show. Very slow start but I loved the hell out of it.

Matt
06-04-2007, 02:23 PM
This may seem strange but even though Kevin Costner butchered the movie, The Postman is a great book.

Chassit
06-04-2007, 02:28 PM
I liked the idea behind The Postman and was able to look past Mr Costner. I enjoyed the movie personally. I thought that Tom Petty had a great part in it heheh.

XIX

Matt
06-04-2007, 02:40 PM
The book itself is the idea realized. And the cool part about it is that it makes so much sense.

OchrisO
06-04-2007, 03:56 PM
I love that movie. I have never understood why people hate it so much.

SON-OF-WAYNE
06-04-2007, 04:07 PM
I just started "HAUNTED" by Chuck Palahniuk. So far it has my attention, I hear he is a great writer.

Erin
06-04-2007, 08:09 PM
I liked the idea behind The Postman and was able to look past Mr Costner. I enjoyed the movie personally. I thought that Tom Petty had a great part in it heheh.

XIX

Yes! I am a huge Tom Petty fan and I loved his role in the movie! Aww Chassit....I didn't think I could like you anymore than I already do. :wub:

OchrisO
06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I've been doing re-reads. The Gunslinger for the group re-read and Harry Potter and The Half Blood Prince in anticipation of the new book.

Frunobulax
06-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Started Lisey's Story again finally.
Also picked up Slaughterhouse-Five and Timequake at the library. I'm re-reading the former and reading the latter for the first time.

ErinPatricia
06-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I just finished Another Bullshit Night in Suck City: A Memoir by Nick Flynn
and I loved it.
From Amazon:

Flynn's wayward father, a self-styled writer and ex-con, describes his life on Boston's streets as "another bullshit night in Suck City": he hangs out in ATM lobbies, stuffs his coat with newspaper and is often "still drunk from the night before." This biting memoir describes the years poet Flynn (Some Ether; Blind Huber) spent, in his late 20s, working at one of the city's homeless shelters, where his path crisscrossed with his down-and-out father's. In examining their troublesome relationship, Flynn admits to feeling lost, as he turned to alcohol and came close to being on the other side of the shelter admissions booth himself. Punchy language and short chapters make what could otherwise be excessively painful more palatable (e.g., "Fact: In 1839 Dostoyevsky witnessed a mob of peasants attacking his father.... they poured vodka down his throat until he died. Fact: I can watch my father pouring vodka down his own throat any day of the week. My role is to play the son, though I often feel like a mob of peasants"). Although it's depressing, the book never seems hopeless, because readers know the author has succeeded at doing what his father only pretended to do: write, and write well.

towerguard
06-05-2007, 03:46 PM
I just picked up the first book in Pullman's His Dark Materials series. I'm falling in love with the story, haven't been able to set it down.

Matt
06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I have the Gunslinger (re-read) going and also just about done with Lisey's Story.

My chest hurts :(

Darkthoughts
06-06-2007, 01:32 AM
Also picked up Slaughterhouse-Five and Timequake at the library. I'm re-reading the former and reading the latter for the first time.
I loved Timequake - have you read The Sirens of Titan?

sai delgado
06-06-2007, 02:16 AM
I just picked up the first book in Pullman's His Dark Materials series. I'm falling in love with the story, haven't been able to set it down.

i haven't read that in ages a couple of years ago i must have read the series 3 times over. They're really great, but some of it is a bit too scientific for me to get my head around :cyclops:

sai delgado
06-06-2007, 02:19 AM
at the moment i'm re reading harry potter and the order of the phoenix-i thought i better re read books 5 and 6 in the series before the 7th comes out, or i will be confused.
also, a storm of swords by george r r martin, a classic series so far and i cant wait for the release of dances with dragons

towerguard
06-06-2007, 04:18 AM
I still refuse to read Harry Potter even though I'd probably like it...

I'm being stubborn.

Darkthoughts
06-06-2007, 09:42 AM
I didn't read them until GoF came out, I was being stubborn too ;) Not wanting to give into the hype, y'know. Then a book club I was in was offering the first four books for something ridiculous like £2 so I caved.

You should consider caving...you probably would like them :D

Frunobulax
06-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Not yet. I'm on a Vonnegut rush, so whatever the library has when I return books I pick up.

Matt
06-06-2007, 10:32 AM
Wait a little longer and you will be able to read the thing start to finish. :rock:

fernandito
06-06-2007, 10:54 AM

I'm being stubborn.

We're on the same boat.

towerguard
06-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Back in HS, I used to feel very high and mighty about the fact that I actually read. I still do. When HP came out, people who have never read half a book in their life were reading, adults even. So, I quickly denounced these books that I have never read as pure idiotic trash, that only a fool would read. If I'm feeling less than upfront, I'll still rant about them if someone mentions them, but usually now I don't. I'm just stubborn, and HP attacked my pride when it got morons, rednecks, and gym teachers reading. Because reading was MY thing, not theirs, they're idiots who hate to read, and I should have been allowed to live with that assumption...damn you Harry Potter.

OchrisO
06-06-2007, 04:49 PM
I didn't read them for a long time either, but I picked one up while at work one day and I was hooked.

I figure anything that gets more people reading, despite who they are, is a good thing.

Bethany
06-06-2007, 06:30 PM
Back in HS, I used to feel very high and mighty about the fact that I actually read. I still do. When HP came out, people who have never read half a book in their life were reading, adults even. So, I quickly denounced these books that I have never read as pure idiotic trash, that only a fool would read. If I'm feeling less than upfront, I'll still rant about them if someone mentions them, but usually now I don't. I'm just stubborn, and HP attacked my pride when it got morons, rednecks, and gym teachers reading. Because reading was MY thing, not theirs, they're idiots who hate to read, and I should have been allowed to live with that assumption...damn you Harry Potter.

And here I thought I was the only one. :cool: That's exactly why I didn't read any of them until I think book 4 came out. Seriously, get off the intellectual high horse and join the rest of us in some good literary fun.

Matt
06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
I saw how much my girls loved them and had to have a look. As far as I am concerned, bring the non readers to the force however we can.

sai delgado
06-07-2007, 02:42 AM
i started reading the harry potter books when i was 11, and as they were originally set to be childrens books so naturally i loved them. Now as I have gotten older, i've read books 1-3 so many times I don't read them anymore, and its always books 4 onwards. ronnie, i hate to compare you to my mum but she was just as stubborn as you but I forced her to give the books a chance by reading them to her myself :lol: which, incidentally, i began to regret as she wouldnt let me stop reading and take a break until the whole series was finished. i say anyone who thinks the books are a load of crap are just missing out...

towerguard
06-07-2007, 04:34 AM

And here I thought I was the only one. :cool: That's exactly why I didn't read any of them until I think book 4 came out. Seriously, get off the intellectual high horse and join the rest of us in some good literary fun.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo

*gallops away*

Ruthful
06-08-2007, 06:28 PM
http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780143142287,00.html

It serves as a great counterpart to Ron Chernow's hagiography of Alexander Hamilton, Burr's arch-nemesis, for those of you who read that one.

Telynn
06-08-2007, 06:47 PM

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo

*gallops away*

If you do, you have to commit to atleast the third book. If given the chance, I would bet she would rewrite the first book somewhat. Because the rest of the books have so much more meat to them. Personally the second book didn't trip my trigger that much is why I say the third book, but you might like it. Could just be me. But by the 3rd book, you should be very good and hooked. And the fourth book you are slamed dunked.

Patrick
06-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Currently reading: CHOKE by Chuck P.

Frunobulax
06-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm now reading Timequake.

Tvmorbid
06-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Im reading Sourcery by Terry Pratchett :D

OchrisO
06-12-2007, 02:29 AM
Im reading Sourcery by Terry Pratchett :D

My favorite thing in all of Discworld are the Nac Mac Feegle. I want to get some sort of new pet so that I can name it No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-than-Wee-Jock Jock.

They can tak' oour lives but they cannae tak' oour troousers!

Crivens! I kicked meself in ma ain heid!

Tvmorbid
06-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Aye I know what ye mean Chris, possibly the funniest characters Mr Pratchett has ever created :D

sarajean
06-12-2007, 08:46 AM
i always take shit for saying this, but i think that l. ron hubbard is a brilliant science fiction novelist. i loved battlefield earth, and i'm currently reading the first book in the mission earth dekalogy: the invaders plan.

(i got the first three in hardback at one of my local thrift stores for 50¢ each)

She-Oy
06-12-2007, 08:57 AM

I'm being stubborn.

We're on the same boat.

This boat's getting bigger. I've never read them either, and for shame, I have an 8 year-old. I have no clue why I haven't read them, I actually have the first two. They just sit there on the bookshelf, looking pretty.

Drew and I are enjoying the Bartimaeus trilogy. It's similar to Harry Potter, but the jinn in it is hilarious.

sarajean
06-12-2007, 08:59 AM
i LOVED the bartimaeus trilogy.

Patrick
06-12-2007, 09:00 AM
i always take shit for saying this, but i think that l. ron hubbard is a brilliant science fiction novelist. i loved battlefield earth, and i'm currently reading the first book in the mission earth dekalogy: the invaders plan.

(i got the first three in hardback at one of my local thrift stores for 50¢ each)
As long as you don't convert to the religion he created, I don't see any problem with enjoying his other fiction.

She-Oy
06-12-2007, 09:02 AM
I read where critics bashed the books for riding on the shirttails of the HP success, but I really like the dry humor in them. I'm actually reading the second one aloud to Drew. It takes longer to get through the books that way, but it's fun.
Sometimes I cheat though, and if Drew falls asleep while I am reading, I keep on reading silently! LOL