10-07-2010, 09:30 AM
1. The Stand
2. The Talisman
3. The Dark Tower books
4. It
5. Needful Things
6. Insomnia
7. Duma Key
And the final one that pushed me over the edge just last night...
8. Under the Dome

My hubby and I went to Best Buy the other day to look at a new game and they had a Kindle (new one) on display there. It amazed me just how thin the thing is now. Yes I have seen the pictures of it online, but until I picked it up and looked at it I just hadn't grasped (pun or no pun your choice :)) just how extremely thin it really is.

Then last night I pulled one of the 4 copies of UTD I have off the shelf to start reading it... the first thing I noticed was just how heavy the thing really is, I know I weighed it back when it came out due to needing to ship one and it was like 8lbs 11oz or some such... Noticable wieght. Then I looked at how thick it is... 2 7/16 inches.

Right then I realised just how nice a Kindle would be to have. The Kindle is about the thickness of the board on that book... not sure what it wieghs but I know it isn't as much as just the ouches over 8lbs that UTD wieghs.

I am starting to wonder if SK has stock in Kindle now. :P

Don't get me wrong, I will never give up my 1/1 collection of hard back SK books (the phase "they will pry it from my cold, dead hands" comes to mind), but having them on a Kindle so I can take them ALL anywhere I want with me, easily, is very nice. :)

Ofcourse I will have to keep it away from the toilet. ;)

turtlex
10-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Part of my whole issue with the Kindle is .

1. You don't own a physical book ( therefore, no lending, no re-selling, no trading in )

2. Likely, you already own the book if it's one of your favorite authors, so unless it's a new release, so you're buying things yet AGAIN. And, if it's a Sai King book - aren't you going to buy a hardcopy anyways?

3. $12.99 isn't cheap, and that's what a lot of the new releases are going for.

I just can't see paying the cost of the Kindle and then the cost of getting all my favorite books, and then ... and then ....

ChristineB
10-07-2010, 09:53 AM
I will be owning all his books anyway. And while in the house will be reading from them, I don't think the Kindle could replace any physical book for me.

But, I read away from home too, and the thought of having to lug this (and many others of his) around so I can, even the paperback version, is not fun.

And we all buy extra copies (most of us do anyway) now I just won't need the $10 p/b copy of these books too.

I find it funny that so many of his books are so big they have become an argument (for me anyway) for finally buying the thing. It didn't hurt that they reduced the price to a point where it was an option. I would still not be buying one for $250 even at this point. :)

turtlex
10-07-2010, 09:55 AM
Oh, you make a good case! :grouphug: Especially due to the heft issue with a lot of the SK books.

I just see it as yet another way to spend money on books... which, I really don't need! :lol:

With the price drop to $189 - it sure was tempting, but I just remind myself of the collectible edition I might get for that money and the temptation goes away! :lol:

ChristineB
10-07-2010, 09:58 AM
With the price drop to $189 - it sure was tempting, but I just remind myself of the collectible edition I might get for that money and the temptation goes away! :lol:

LOL

I can understand that :)

ChristineB
10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
The other thing these books are good for:

--work out weights (who needs 5lb weights?)
--doorstops
--personal defense (smack someone with UTD and they aren't getting up for a few)
--paper weights (even the wind in Amarillo isn't moving UTD)
--step stools

Ok... having diarrhea of the fingers now:panic:

Bev Vincent
10-07-2010, 10:28 AM
I used to joke that even the Kindle version of Under the Dome was heavy.

By the way, the WiFi only version is now only $139.

I love my Kindle. I buy most of my new books in that format.

ELazansky
10-07-2010, 10:32 AM
I've been kicking around the Kindle idea myself. I usually find myself going to the library to get books to read, and I rarely buy books any more. So if I got one, I'd have to start spending 10-12 bucks a book and not have anything physical to show for it. But the other day, I was at my kid's Karate class, and I had no book. If I had a Kindle with 3G, I could have just bought something and started reading it right then and there. And as much as I love the feel of a book in your hands, they do get a bit uncomfortable when it is 1000+ pages. I may ask my wife to get me one for Xmas.

Bev Vincent
10-07-2010, 10:48 AM
I used to buy books new, read them as soon as possible after publication, and then resell them on Amazon marketplace while the hardcover still had some resale value. I figure the net cost was about $10-$12 a book. That being the case, I have no trouble paying $9.99 or $12.99 for an eBook that I'll always have that won't take up space on our already overburdened shelves.

mae
10-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Hm. To me, the heftier the better :)

Can't see myself reading on a device. I love the feel of a physical book. I don't even buy so-called paperback reading copies, I only read in hardcover, as those are the only True Books.

LadyHitchhiker
10-07-2010, 02:32 PM
I hate the kindle. Those kind of devices will leave me out of a job in the future if they truly catch people's fancies. There's nothing quite like a bookstore...

ELazansky
10-07-2010, 02:42 PM
True Books, to me, are the words themselves. Doesn't matter how I read them, as long as the story is told.

LadyHitchhiker
10-07-2010, 04:07 PM
I guess I'm old-fashioned. I love my job so much. I hate things that jeopardize my possible future there.

And I'd rather replace one book than one expensive piece of equipment with all my books on it.

Plus I can't take a bath while reading mechanical book.

ELazansky
10-07-2010, 04:17 PM
I love books, too, and I hate that many local bookstores have had to close due to Amazon, B&N, etc. I always wanted to have a large library in my home, but I've had to move so many times, that I've donated most of my books to local libraries. I've resisted getting a Kindle since it came out, and I'm still on the fence. I'm to the point that I don't really care how I read a book, as long as I get a chance to enjoy it.

ChristineB
10-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Plus I can't take a bath while reading mechanical book.

Hehe, don't tell my Kindle that, will be reading it in the bath just like I do my regular books. Have to be just as careful with it as I do my regular books. :)

It will just be so much easier to take the Kindle (with all his books on it) with me to my mom's house then just one pb copy of UTD.

biomieg
10-08-2010, 11:53 AM
I have a free Kindle app on my iPod Touch and I used it to buy and read UR (which hasn't been collected in a print edition yet) and BLOCKADE BILLY (because I wanted to read it - European customers are in the back of the shipping-waiting line at Cemetery Dance... it took about two months for me to get the book even when I ordered it literally 5 minutes after the site went live... but anyway :))

But I won't be getting a true Kindle. I'm a physical-book man.

WeDealInLead
10-09-2010, 07:33 PM
I just can't get into it. Most paperbacks will find a way to fit one of your pockets (jeans. jacket, sweatshirt) or the back seat of the car works fine too. They're cheap too.. used for $2-3, sometimes less if you're lucky. I'm also refusing to pay for MP3s. Paying for computer data.. I don't know, I guess it doesn't sit well with me.

Keep in mind though, I don't own a cellphone, I still listen to records and I don't have an MP3 player...

but I have a walkman (you know.. cassettes) and a tape deck.

I figure younger kids make up the big percentage of the Kindle consumers.

Chap
10-10-2010, 09:04 AM
True Books, to me, are the words themselves. Doesn't matter how I read them, as long as the story is told.

My thoughts exactly.
I'm not a collector of books, never buy more than one copy and it's usually paperback. Simply because it's cheaper and easier to handle. A new hardcover in Norway can cost you $68, while a recently released paperback is $16/$22.
Sure, physically reading from a book is nice, but I think I would actually read more if I had a Kindle.

alkanto
10-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I don't know...I've been toying with the idea of an E-Reader myself.
I just cannot get over the "real book" argument, however. There's something about that hefty old volume, with the creaking cover, and even the musty smell of pages...I don't think I could ever give that up.

The only reason I would get one, as a student, is that most college textbooks can be purchased on them nowadays. If my book load gets really heavy in the next few years, I may have to cave in. As of right now, my total textbook loads probably weighs about half of me :lol:

pathoftheturtle
10-10-2010, 09:12 AM
...I still listen to records...You mean vinyl? Wow.

ChristineB
10-12-2010, 06:33 AM
The only reason I would get one, as a student, is that most college textbooks can be purchased on them nowadays. If my book load gets really heavy in the next few years, I may have to cave in. As of right now, my total textbook loads probably weighs about half of me :lol:

I wouldn't do this just because I used to sell mine back at the end of the semester to recoup a small amount of the cost for the buggers. Ofcourse it would have been nice not to have to lug around a 20lb book at school. :)

I'd be willing to be you won't save any money by getting them electronically (based on the fact the comp books my hubby gets electronically are not discounted).

gsvec
10-12-2010, 06:19 PM
I will never give up real books. No way.

. . . but . . .

I broke down and bought a Kindle when UR came out, and I have to admit I really like it. It mostly comes in handy on 'errand' day - waiting for an oil change, in the doctor's office, etc. Once I ended up finishing the book I was reading and in barely over a minute I downloaded a new one - I didn't have to carry 2!

And by the way, there are tons of FREE books for Kindle. I've found that there are quite a few newer releases that they'll promote as freebies for a limited time as well as the always-free classics. For those of you who have a Kindle, click here for the page (http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Misc%20Pics/Misha/Mat5.jpg).

Bethany
10-12-2010, 07:05 PM
The other thing these books are good for:

--work out weights (who needs 5lb weights?)
--doorstops
--personal defense (smack someone with UTD and they aren't getting up for a few)
--paper weights (even the wind in Amarillo isn't moving UTD)
--step stools

Ok... having diarrhea of the fingers now:panic:

Hard core collectors, please ignore the following post....

My bed is currently being held up by my hardcover Dark Tower books :wtf:

Darkthoughts
10-13-2010, 02:46 AM
I love gadgets, but books are one thing I will never personally digitise. As has been said already, I just love books - it almost seems blasphemous to have ebooks, I can't help thinking it's one step towards a Farenheit 451 scenario. I know that's slightly over the top :lol: but y'know what I mean?

Not everything needs to be modernised and ultra convenienced.

debungsmere
11-09-2010, 10:57 AM
I am a Kindle owner, and I won't turn back. The following were my reasons, and examples, of why I am a Kindle owner.

The new kindles are only $140, which depending on how much you read, you can make up the savings pretty quick.

Now I am also a book collector, so it poses some problems. The books I want to have for my collection I need to buy twice. Sure that sucks, but it also helps keep the book I buy for the collection in perfect condition.

I went through all the reasons on why I wouldn't like a Kindle but those quickly diminished because the first book I bought on my Kindle was Under the Dome. I read the book while on an airplane, at airports, and on vacation. I could not imagine trying to bring a book that size on a vacation, it would just be too cumbersome.

One other example I ran into was on a trip where my plane got delayed for 6 hours and I was just finishing a book. click click click, I had another book to read to pass the time. Worked perfectly.

Now I know we all like books or we wouldn't be here, but I think we can all agree we read books we likely won't ever read again because they werent that good. Those books end up collecting dust somewhere, you aren't proud to show them off, and you end up giving them away. Kindle solves that problem.

Privacy. No one knows what you are reading! Not that I have ever spoiled, or been spoiled on an ending to a book. However one time I almost did it to someone. They were reading HP and the Half-Blood Prince on the airplane. I will just say that person was a total ass, ended up dropping their bag on my lap while I was reading. I almost looked up and said "---- ---- dies at the end of the book ya know". But that would've just been mean. But privacy is important sometimes. It's funny because a lot of the top selling books on Kindle are romance novels, which makes sense because no one knows what you are reading!

My favorite part of the Kindle though is that you can download an application for your phone and for your computer. Your books can be read on any of thee devices and it keeps track of your page. So for lunch breaks at work I open it up on my PC and read a bit and it keeps my page for me. Or if I am waiting for the doctor, haircut, oil change - I pop open my phone.

To end, I will say that the readability is awesome, its as good if not better than a book. I will also say, buy a Kindle - not another reader. The Ipad might be more usable, but the resolution for reading isnt as good, and if you buy an ereader buy one thats meant to be read on, not a computer.

Erin
11-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Great post, debungsmere!

I bought a Kindle DX a few months ago and absoultey love it! Of course I love old fashioned books just as much as the next person (for example, today I will buy a hardback copy of King's new book for my collection) but the Kindle is just so handy for all the reasons mentioned already in this thread.

I've read so many more classics I probably never would have gotten around to in regular book form, because they were free on Kindle. And I love that you can sample a book before purchasing it.

ELazansky
11-09-2010, 12:28 PM
I asked my wife for a Kindle for Christmas - I'm holding off buying some new books (King, Grisham, Cornwell, Baldacci) so I can read them using my new toy

Hannah
11-09-2010, 08:18 PM
I used to be squarely in the "e-readers are evil" camp, but then I got a Nook for my birthday. I would have preferred a Kindle, but I'm not going to turn down an awesome birthday present from my fella, who got it at the last minute for me because he could not come up with anything else to get me. He bought it for me even though he knew my position on e-readers.

At first I looked at it in horror. Then I had to pretend I was slightly thrilled. Then I tried it and, well, I freaking love it. Like debungsmere, I've used it for several flights (I have to travel for work often), and nothing can beat being able to purchase a book without getting out of your seat at the airport. Not to mention being able to get the book you want to read right then in bed at night instantly.

It's also fine on my eyes. I love how it bookmarks everything so I just turn it on and boom my book is there at my last read point. My one and only gripe ... I miss real books a little bit AND I can't feel comfortable reading my Nook in the bathtub for fear of dropping it. Oh, and it sounds dirty when I say anything about "my nook."

debungsmere
11-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I agree about the bath tub, thats my biggest gripe. I have an outdoor hot tub I like to read in, but its tricky with a Kindle.

Hannah do you have a cover for your Nook? I bought the Amazon one for my kindle and its nice because you can read it with the flap open or flip it back, makes it seem like reading a real book to me and helped me transition that part of it anyway. Now we just need a water proof cover, heh.

LadyHitchhiker
11-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I work at a bookstore and so I must confess, kindles terrify me. I love the nostalgia, the warmth, the coziness of a book. I love the smell. I love the texture. I love the portability. Kindles threaten that. They threaten my business.

ELazansky
11-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Here's your waterproof Kindle case - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027DET28?ie=UTF8&tag=eugenedailycom&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0027DET28

Not the most attractive thing - it would be nice if Otterbox made a waterproof case

LadyHitchhiker
11-10-2010, 08:01 AM
:panic: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :panic:

Hannah
11-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I agree about the bath tub, thats my biggest gripe. I have an outdoor hot tub I like to read in, but its tricky with a Kindle.

Hannah do you have a cover for your Nook? I bought the Amazon one for my kindle and its nice because you can read it with the flap open or flip it back, makes it seem like reading a real book to me and helped me transition that part of it anyway. Now we just need a water proof cover, heh.

I do have a cover for the Nook! It was the first thing I bought after I got it. I had to get one of the ones with the front and back cover so you could flip it open or around the back.

LadyHitchhiker
11-10-2010, 02:00 PM
I love gadgets, but books are one thing I will never personally digitise. As has been said already, I just love books - it almost seems blasphemous to have ebooks, I can't help thinking it's one step towards a Farenheit 451 scenario. I know that's slightly over the top :lol: but y'know what I mean?

Not everything needs to be modernised and ultra convenienced.

I absolutely agree with everything in this statement. I'm all for Star Trek and all, having little pads and all, but I don't want them to take away from my books. It seems like sacrilege. I should think the kindles should be used for saving costs for people in school, etc.,. I'm perfectly happy with having a book.

mae
11-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Oh, and it sounds dirty when I say anything about "my nook."

Liquid out the nose :wtf:

mae
11-10-2010, 02:23 PM
I work at a bookstore and so I must confess, kindles terrify me. I love the nostalgia, the warmth, the coziness of a book. I love the smell. I love the texture. I love the portability. Kindles threaten that. They threaten my business.

:couple: I'm not in the book business, but I'm in the business of reading and collecting books. Nothing on a screen can even approximate a printed page.

Jean
11-11-2010, 04:53 AM
hear, hear

ELazansky
11-11-2010, 05:37 AM

:couple: I'm not in the book business, but I'm in the business of reading and collecting books. Nothing on a screen can even approximate a printed page.

I think the "collecting" books line is what separates people who have/want a Kindle and those who don't. I used to have a library of about 500 books that I kept packing up and taking with me every time I moved. It just got to be too much, so I donated them. Now, I usually check out books from the library. Except for collecting SK, I don't feel the need to have shelves of books anymore. Collectors will never want a Kindle - casual readers will.

ChristineB
11-11-2010, 09:01 AM
I think the "collecting" books line is what separates people who have/want a Kindle and those who don't. I used to have a library of about 500 books that I kept packing up and taking with me every time I moved. It just got to be too much, so I donated them. Now, I usually check out books from the library. Except for collecting SK, I don't feel the need to have shelves of books anymore. Collectors will never want a Kindle - casual readers will.

Sorry to dissappiont you but I collect books and I love my Kindle. The screen is just so easy to read and if the font is not the size I want I can change it.

The thing fits much better in my purse then even a pb copy of the small books does, no getting the pages all mashed up and folded funny from other things in there. And the Kindle now has like 15 books on it instead of just one. I will never give up my collection of real books (they can pry them out of my cold dead hands), but this thing is great for those on the go or even just sitting around at home. When I am done with a book and want to read something I don't have in a real book atm I just pop onto Amazon.com and buy the e-version while I sit on my couch. I have already bought books on it that I would never have bought a real copy of, cause I don't collect that author, but now I get to read the book without cluttering up my shelves more with books I may never touch again.

As to the bathtub, well I guess I am different then most cause I read my Kindle in the tub with no more worries then I would have if I had a real book in my hand. I wouldn't want to drop a real book in the tub any more then I would want to drop my Kindle in it. I may end up puttting it in a plastic bag at some point so in the unlikely event it does get dropped (yet to drop a book in the tub) it won't be an issue.

I am acutally reading more now then I used to due to the sheer convienence of the thing. I most likely never would have read Andre Agassi's bio if I didn't have my Kindle.

Bottom line, I love it, it's not replacing my real books it's just adding to my reading experience. I understand how some would see it as the end of real books but for me that is just not going to happen. I will be up in arms if/when real books are not published of SK's work, but for now I am content to read, on my Kindle, those books I never would have read in book form.

ELazansky
11-11-2010, 10:14 AM

Sorry to dissappiont you but I collect books and I love my Kindle. The screen is just so easy to read and if the font is not the size I want I can change it.

The thing fits much better in my purse then even a pb copy of the small books does, no getting the pages all mashed up and folded funny from other things in there. And the Kindle now has like 15 books on it instead of just one. I will never give up my collection of real books (they can pry them out of my cold dead hands), but this thing is great for those on the go or even just sitting around at home. When I am done with a book and want to read something I don't have in a real book atm I just pop onto Amazon.com and buy the e-version while I sit on my couch. I have already bought books on it that I would never have bought a real copy of, cause I don't collect that author, but now I get to read the book without cluttering up my shelves more with books I may never touch again.

As to the bathtub, well I guess I am different then most cause I read my Kindle in the tub with no more worries then I would have if I had a real book in my hand. I wouldn't want to drop a real book in the tub any more then I would want to drop my Kindle in it. I may end up puttting it in a plastic bag at some point so in the unlikely event it does get dropped (yet to drop a book in the tub) it won't be an issue.

I am acutally reading more now then I used to due to the sheer convienence of the thing. I most likely never would have read Andre Agassi's bio if I didn't have my Kindle.

Bottom line, I love it, it's not replacing my real books it's just adding to my reading experience. I understand how some would see it as the end of real books but for me that is just not going to happen. I will be up in arms if/when real books are not published of SK's work, but for now I am content to read, on my Kindle, those books I never would have read in book form.

So, the the authors you collect, you buy their books. For the ones you don't, you buy them on the Kindle for casual reading - that was exactly my point. This is what I want a Kindle for. I will still buy and collect the authors I want, but for my casual reading, I'll go with the eBook. When I said "Collectors will never want a Kindle", I should have clarified that a little more.

debungsmere
11-11-2010, 11:24 AM
I thought of one more advantage. I actually read a lot quicker on my Kindle than I do a book. It sounds silly, but you dont realize how much time it takes to turn pages until you dont have to. For me, every page turn gives your brain a second to day dream, or a good time to put a book down and dog ear teh page or whatever. With the Kindle you just keep going, no stopping, no pausing, constant story.

Hannah
11-11-2010, 02:44 PM
I have a cookbook on mine. It's fun because I can electronically bookmark the recipes I like and then just bring my nook (heh) to the kitchen with me and cook.

alkanto
11-11-2010, 05:01 PM

That will probably hold true for most people, but I do not collect, nor do I ever plan on getting any sort of E-Reader.

If I do, it will be only for textbooks. I just really love my books too much! Not even from a collecting or career standpoint...there's just something a nice, thick hard cover that makes me feel happy. I dunno...I'll probably never be able to explain it.

ELazansky
11-11-2010, 05:18 PM
I think it is fair to say that everyone has their opinion, and there are certainly no wrong answers here. I also love the feel of a good book in my hands, but when the book is 1200 pages, carrying it around trying to read it in public is sometime annoying. Having all 1200 pages in a small lightweight tablet is appealing.

mae
11-18-2010, 08:46 AM
I find this sad:

http://mashable.com/2010/07/19/amazon-kindle-sales/

Amazon: Kindle Books Now Outselling Hardcovers

E-books have hit a significant milestone. In each of the last three months, Amazon reports that sales of books for Kindle have outpaced the sale of hardcover books, and that growth is only accelerating.

In a statement, Amazon says, “over the past three months, for every 100 hardcover books Amazon.com has sold, it has sold 143 Kindle books. Over the past month, for every 100 hardcover books Amazon.com has sold, it has sold 180 Kindle books.”

That’s impressive, especially considering it was only back in December that Amazon was celebrating Kindle books outselling the real thing on Christmas Day. Six months later, the shift has apparently become the norm.

While part of that shift has to do with reading trends in general — Amazon notes that e-book sales grew 163% in the month of May and 207% year-to-date through May — Kindle book sales (and other devices like Barnes & Noble’s Nook) has been aided in recent months by price cuts getting e-readers into the hands of more consumers. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos says, “the growth rate of Kindle device unit sales has tripled since we lowered the price from $259 to $189.”

Those price reductions, of course, have been triggered in large part by new competition in the form of iPad. As much as anything else, Amazon is once again reminding us that Kindle is far from dead in the wake of Apple’s tablet, although with Kindle now offering apps for Windows (Windows), Mac and most mobile operating systems, its long-term success may ultimately be much more dependent on its e-book store across platforms as opposed to physical device sales.

ICry4Oy
11-18-2010, 12:03 PM

ILU! My life's work has always been technology. I was involved with computers when all we had were trays and trays of punch cards and when a Univac was a big deal and when it took four people to carry a 68MB hard drive and when Sanyo made the 12-inch floppy and I played on the ARPANET before there was an internet. Maybe I resisted technology in my private life because it consumed my work life? I may use my cell phone about 3 minutes a year. I resisted getting a PC until about four years ago - I was missing too much porn.

But I prefer reading something on paper as opposed to something on a screen. Even now when I have to read an online manual I'll print it out and read it off the paper.

The only Kindling (sic) I'll ever do will involve starting fires.

Yeah Sure Whatever
11-19-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm finally getting my Sony Reader Touch (should be here today) and I'm super excited. SJ has already set me up with a bunch of books she knew I would like. My husband isnt really sold on it, but I think he'll like having all the books he wants in one place.

When I have time I'll have to crochet a cover for it, cant have it getting scratched up now!

haunted.lunchbox
12-11-2010, 12:19 PM
I think they should put college texts and things of that nature on the kindle. I am toying with the idea about getting one. I also like the fact that they are probably saving a few trees.

ChristineB
12-13-2010, 05:49 PM
I think they should put college texts and things of that nature on the kindle. I am toying with the idea about getting one. I also like the fact that they are probably saving a few trees.

I just looked at the Amazon.com ebook store and it has around 30K textbooks...

haunted.lunchbox
12-13-2010, 06:13 PM
I just looked up the e text books and I just have to say it's CRAP! To charge $130 for an electronic text is bullshit. It's disgusting how much money a college text cost, and on top of that you can only sell them back if they continue with the edition. I'm all for capitalism, but this is ridiculous.

EDIT: It's $130 for the ebook that you CAN'T sell back. Not happy.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-13-2010, 06:14 PM
It is absolute bullshit and the should be regulated. No wonder piracy is alive and well

haunted.lunchbox
12-13-2010, 06:22 PM
It is absolute bullshit and the should be regulated. No wonder piracy is alive and well

I see your point, but I really hate having to regulate. I hate government regulation, but this is frustrating. I don't want the government to get involved, but I would like to see people take action instead of just living with the problem. I college students all refused to buy books before class, some form of action would have to be taken. I feel this way about many things. If someone is angry about a company moving a call center overseas, boycott the company and get other people to do it as well. We've lost our ability to band together and fight for a cause, we just want mommy and daddy to get involved.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-13-2010, 06:33 PM
I think its because companies like this clearly dont give a shit about the customers, and people dont have time or want to rally enough to make a difference. College students are being GOUGED by text books and it flat out stealing. There is no reason they should be that expensive and "change" so often

haunted.lunchbox
12-13-2010, 06:35 PM
It's not just the college kids, it's their parents as well! I can't believe this situation exists! It's just not right.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-13-2010, 06:41 PM
Oh yeah the parents too

haunted.lunchbox
12-27-2010, 12:20 PM
So I finally got a Kindle and I have to say I freakin' LOVE IT! It's perfect for me because the only books I really collect are older books that have sentimental meaning to me, for example Peter and Wendy and Winnie the Pooh first editions. My collection is very small because they are expensive. I was nervous because I thought the books would be like $12, but they're much cheaper! Only the new ones are that much, and with so many old books I need to catch up on this is perfect for me. Also, many older books before copyrights are free! I got the E version of Peter and Wendy so I don't have to risk hurting my old one! I also got Alice in Wonderland and Grimms faery tales for free. The Song of Ice and Fire series on the e reader is cheaper than the paperback, and they are what I'm reading now. I can take it anywhere! And I'm saving trees!
The biggest downside is that I can't read in the dark. It's not a lighted screen, it looks like a book. I actually prefer the way the screen looks because it's so cool, but if my hubby is asleep and I want to read in bed I'm screwed.

Yeah Sure Whatever
12-27-2010, 12:28 PM
They sell covers that have lights

haunted.lunchbox
12-27-2010, 12:50 PM
I want a Tron looking one!

Erin
12-27-2010, 07:15 PM
I have my Kindle in the Amazon leather case and when I read in bed at night, I clip a regular book-light onto the case. It works great.

haunted.lunchbox
12-27-2010, 08:15 PM
I have my Kindle in the Amazon leather case and when I read in bed at night, I clip a regular book-light onto the case. It works great.

I just got the leather amazon case, shortly after I found a $6 slip case for it at office depot. I don't have the DX like yourself, mine is much smaller, but I'm really pleased with the one that I have, and as long as it has 3g/wifi it serves it's purpose. I will have to invest in a book light.

Hannah
01-03-2011, 07:51 AM
So I finally got a Kindle and I have to say I freakin' LOVE IT! It's perfect for me because the only books I really collect are older books that have sentimental meaning to me, for example Peter and Wendy and Winnie the Pooh first editions. My collection is very small because they are expensive. I was nervous because I thought the books would be like $12, but they're much cheaper! Only the new ones are that much, and with so many old books I need to catch up on this is perfect for me. Also, many older books before copyrights are free! I got the E version of Peter and Wendy so I don't have to risk hurting my old one! I also got Alice in Wonderland and Grimms faery tales for free. The Song of Ice and Fire series on the e reader is cheaper than the paperback, and they are what I'm reading now. I can take it anywhere! And I'm saving trees!
The biggest downside is that I can't read in the dark. It's not a lighted screen, it looks like a book. I actually prefer the way the screen looks because it's so cool, but if my hubby is asleep and I want to read in bed I'm screwed.

I just bought my guy a sleep mask, which I then encourage him to wear when I want to read in bed after he's gone to sleep. I do want a light for my Nook though. It'd be nice for darker corners and such.

haunted.lunchbox
01-03-2011, 08:40 AM

I just bought my guy a sleep mask, which I then encourage him to wear when I want to read in bed after he's gone to sleep. I do want a light for my Nook though. It'd be nice for darker corners and such.

I love how you're making him adapt to you and you are not adapting to him! :thumbsup:

Hannah
01-04-2011, 07:40 AM
:lol: It's only on that small thing, which is probably why I insist on it. Most of the time he gets his way.

And out of curiousity, does the Kindle have a free book promotion every week like the Nook?

Erin
01-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Hannah - I'm not really sure what the Nook does each week, but there are free Kindle books offered daily (usually 2 or 3, but sometimes many more). The only problem is that usually they are crap I'd never read, although I have found some gems in there to download.

haunted.lunchbox
01-04-2011, 12:13 PM
There are a bunch of free books I've found on the Kindle, but they aren't something I would read.

Jean
01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
I have just seen a Kindle for the first time in my life, held it in my paws, and played with it.

I want one.

RainInSpain
01-08-2011, 11:09 AM
Jean, I said the exact same thing when I finally had a chance to actually hold an iPad :lol: (Gotta love the new year holiday - my Apple wish was granted, hope yours will be, too)
I know that at least one of my co-workers has a Kindle - I'm curious how he uploads books there, us being in Russia and all.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Probably like the rest of us :P

Jean
01-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Jean, I said the exact same thing when I finally had a chance to actually hold an iPad :lol:.
you're going to laugh, but I've just had a chance to paw an iPad too. I think I would be crazy about it if it was compatible with anything; I'll wait for further developments

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-08-2011, 11:47 AM
I want an iPad but now that I have a smartphone my iPod touch is superfluous except for using it in the car. I just dont know if I could justify an Ipad unless it becomes super tricked out in future versions

alinda
01-08-2011, 11:51 AM
This technology is not at all good for me.....want it I DO, but I NEED to unplug sometimes, and with this ease of all things
I am opting to remain old fashioned and keep books, and PC's for a while more.

RainInSpain
01-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Right. My bad :lol:

Jean, I said the exact same thing when I finally had a chance to actually hold an iPad :lol:.
you're going to laugh, but I've just had a chance to paw an iPad too. I think I would be crazy about it if it was compatible with anything; I'll wait for further developments

Mmm, not to hijack the thread, but so far I've been able to use it just as well as my laptop - although I must admit I do not do anything special with it. It's just so convenient to have 3G Internet everywhere (can't use a phone for it - poor eyesight), plus drafting app, plus books, etc.

Erin
01-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Kindles rock! Yesterday (and it's still going on today) was a great day for free books. Over 100 were offered and I downloaded about 12 that really piqued my interest.

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-08-2011, 12:37 PM

Right. My bad :lol:

In Mother Russia books download YOU

strungoutboy21
01-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Love it or hate it, e-readers like the Kindle are the wave of the future. I'm not saying this is right, but there is a way if you look hard enough to get certain ebooks for free on your kindle. I love my kindle and probably wouldn't have started reading the Dark Tower series if I hadn't gotten it. The only books I collect are textbooks from college.

candy
01-09-2011, 10:12 AM
I haven't got one and i am unsure if i want one. I love the feel of a book in my hands, i love reading with a glass of wine in one hand and a book in the other.

However, judging by the latest news over here i may not have a choice for much longer. Due to the huge sales of the Kindle and all other such devices, we have had 2 book stores close down (the local news reported that the impact of E-Books had a direct relevance to at least one of these closures) Also i heard on the news that Waterstones will be closing hundreds of branches, which i know has much to do with the recession, but i also can't help thinking that Kindle etc have a lot to do with it also.

I know people love the Kindle, and the instant gratification of downloading, however i shall be very sad to see the demise of the book store. I love Saturday afternoons spend in Waterstones, or discovering a new book store in a new town.

sad times

alinda
01-09-2011, 10:17 AM
We can NOT allow this, it would be a travasty to all that is sacred. BOOKS are what its all about on many a day in our lives.....further .....
I know I am not alone in thinking this! We must all go out now and buy BOOKS ! tell people about BOOKS!*shouts in protesters voice*:rock:

Save the books ! save the books!

Yeah Sure Whatever
01-09-2011, 10:18 AM
We were talking the other day about going to the book store, but then since we both have readers there is really no point. We decided we both kind of missed being in the store

alinda
01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
yeah, and libraries, what about them:panic: I know some people who practically live in a library
and who very well may be devastated by this pnenominon.:wtf:

Mattrick
01-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Screw Kindle. Kindle takes a great novel and makes it look like fan fiction written by a 16 year old nerd. If I'm going to read a book I'm going to read a book. Not a .txt file. What happens when you're out and your kindle batteries die? Right in the middle of the sentence? Books don't need power. Only plus to a kindle would be carrying multiple books around (pointless since I read a book at a time) and reading in the dark...and since I'm not amish that's not a problem.

Jean
01-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Screw Kindle. Kindle takes a great novel and makes it look like fan fiction written by a 16 year old nerd.
there's definitely some truth about this...

::laughing bear:: -- photobucket won't work for some reason

strungoutboy21
02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
You guys are all hardcore readers so obviously you are going to be against it. Like a Calvin Tower who enjoys collecting. For the people who are casually readers, like me, it's a great thing. I never went in book stores to begin with. I only read about a book a year before I got it. I don't have any room to put books, my closet is full enough of crap as it is. Books are turning into what music is these days. Record stores are becoming more scarce and big retailers like Best Buys CD collection is way smaller than it use to be. The same thing will happen to book stores. Only the hardcore readers and collectors will be the ones going to stores and buying books. You can't fight technology, it's going to happen like it or not.

Oh and by the way, the Kindle batter lasts for up a month. So unless you get standed on a desert island I don't see how the book dying will become an issue.

RainInSpain
02-03-2011, 09:06 AM
You guys are all hardcore readers so obviously you are going to be against it. Like a Calvin Tower who enjoys collecting. For the people who are casually readers, like me, it's a great thing. I never went in book stores to begin with. I only read about a book a year before I got it. I don't have any room to put books, my closet is full enough of crap as it is. Books are turning into what music is these days. Record stores are becoming more scarce and big retailers like Best Buys CD collection is way smaller than it use to be. The same thing will happen to book stores. Only the hardcore readers and collectors will be the ones going to stores and buying books. You can't fight technology, it's going to happen like it or not.

Oh and by the way, the Kindle batter lasts for up a month. So unless you get standed on a desert island I don't see how the book dying will become an issue.

One does not necessarily exclude the other. I often joke that sooner or later, books will drive me out of my apartment - everywhere you look, you'll see a pile of them :lol: Right now, in addition to my and DHs books, we also keep those I inherited from my grandparents.
At the same time, I have almost as many electronic books. Some are duplicates of paper books, others I only have on my iPad and laptop. I treat them as different kinds of things - reading a paper book is a very distinct kind of pleasure, what with the books aroma and the sound of pages turning (also a bit nostalgic), while an iPad is more of a means to get information - be it from a book, on the Internet, etc. It's more functional than emotional, so there's a place for both.
But I agree, with time most likely people will be buying less and less paper books - I don't buy vinyl anymore, even though vinyl aficionados say MP3 music sounds 'lifeless' with no squeaks and creaks.

Jean
02-03-2011, 10:15 AM
I often joke that sooner or later, books will drive me out of my apartment - everywhere you look, you'll see a pile of them :lol: wifey?... sorry, I didn't recognize you at first...

RainInSpain
02-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Good to know I'm not the only one :lol: - my regards to your wife, Jean.

Jean
02-03-2011, 10:41 AM
living in Russia, you can't possibly be the only one. Everyone I know is like that. I personally am worse - because I am older, so I have been accumulating books for a longer time (so did mother and grandmother, of course)

mystima
03-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I just got an IRiver E-reader and it is cool. It is tied into google bookstore and they have millions of free titles to choose from...I just got all the classic books i loved as a child to read and it came with 3 books already on the reader...and it only cost me $50!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-03-2012, 12:40 AM
There will always be books, but not mass market paperbacks. E-readers will corner that market, and most bookstores will diversify to selling e-readers or close. It's no different from music stores. You can still buy vinyl, but only in specialist stores.

Nothing beats the feel and smell of a leatherbound book, but I love my Kindle.

candy
03-03-2012, 08:29 AM
I now have a Kindle, it is easier for me to use this on a train commute. I still collect my books, (although this has taken a back seat while I move around) but the Kindle itself is lighter to move around wth, it also means my books aren't getting ruined from being shoved in my bag.

I have started reading books I probabley would not have bought otherwise, as I have decided not to buy kindle books that I really want (latest King etc) so I am part way through the Discworld novels, Dr Who novels and Stargate Novels.

Ben Staad
03-03-2012, 01:16 PM
First this is in regards to Nook not Kindle.

I've went back and forth with this one. I didn't like them and then I did and now I don't again. The convience is great however I really don't feel like I truly own anything (this goes for all electronic media) and I just can't stomach it. In some instances I can't share an enjoyable book with friends or family, there can be formatting issues, etc. For instance I bought an e-book I thought both me and my daughter would like. I read the book liked it, and went to transfer the book to her Nook. The device wouldn't let me. I called support and found out this title could not be "shared" with another user.

I then downloaded software to try and beat the system and of course this didn't work either. I'm at a point where I'm sick of all eletronic media. Give me a real book to hold, share, highlight in, or whatever the heck I want to do with it.

Merlin1958
03-03-2012, 06:22 PM
First this is in regards to Nook not Kindle.

I've went back and forth with this one. I didn't like them and then I did and now I don't again. The convience is great however I really don't feel like I truly own anything (this goes for all electronic media) and I just can't stomach it. In some instances I can't share an enjoyable book with friends or family, there can be formatting issues, etc. For instance I bought an e-book I thought both me and my daughter would like. I read the book liked it, and went to transfer the book to her Nook. The device wouldn't let me. I called support and found out this title could not be "shared" with another user.

I then downloaded software to try and beat the system and of course this didn't work either. I'm at a point where I'm sick of all eletronic media. Give me a real book to hold, share, highlight in, or whatever the heck I want to do with it.

Good point!!!! I prefer written pages and always will. However, I'm an "old fart" at 50+. Technology and marketing has passed me by by already!!!

mae
04-24-2012, 11:07 AM
There was a great discussion of the future of publishing on On the Media:

http://www.onthemedia.org/2012/apr/20/state_publishing/

I dunno. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like they're not really reading the actual book if they're reading an ebook? I've tried numerous times, and can't get into it as I can with a hardcover.

joeblasko128
04-24-2012, 11:24 AM
I tried out a Kindle Fire. But nothing can replace the look, smell, and feel of a good hard cover.

Jon
04-26-2012, 04:46 AM
When they ban a book...what will they burn?????

That will be smelly and worse for the environment. :)

Those of you who may have been to a record burning may know of what I speak.

Now imagine that smell, sans the sound of the forgotten pot seeds in the double albums, popping.

mtdman
06-01-2012, 06:19 PM
I made a trip to the local used book store last weekend, picked up some older versions of Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three. The smell of an old used book, the way it feels in my hands, that can't be replaced with a plastic/metal pad. I'm not interested in a ebook reader at all.

sgc1999
06-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I have a ton of books for kindle/mobi format if anybody has already bought the book but would like the ease of reading from there kindle. A little bit of everything. Mostly fantasy/horror/fiction

Ricky
06-01-2012, 07:00 PM
I dunno. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like they're not really reading the actual book if they're reading an ebook?

Yes! I mean, I've never read on a Nook or Kindle, but I've tried reading on my laptop screen and it's just not the same. Like you said, it doesn't feel like I'm really, "officially" reading a book.

ELazansky
06-02-2012, 02:44 AM
I've heard these same arguments for a long time. I've had my Kindle for over a year, and I love it. I'm reading the same words as regular book readers are. It is much more portable than an 800 page hardcover and much easier to read since I can adjust the font size. I can mark my page on my Kindle, and it marks the same page on every device I own. So, if I forget my Kindle, I can pick up where I left off on my tablet, my phone, another computer, etc. Can't do that with a book. I don't understand the whole "smell and feel" of the book argument. Technology moves forward. I love the sound of an LP record, but MP3's are here to stay. I still love real books, and yes, I will concede that some books need to be owned in book form, but for the regular, everyday novel, I'll take my Kindle every time. Just my opinion.

Jean
06-02-2012, 04:53 AM
so, maybe you'll start The Drawing of the Three at last?...

ELazansky
06-02-2012, 05:30 AM
so, maybe you'll start The Drawing of the Three at last?...

I just might :-)

I have to finish Lord of the Rings first...man, those Hobbits move slow sometimes :-)

Jean
06-02-2012, 05:34 AM
... while the Three in the Drawing move quick! I promise.

Matt
06-02-2012, 07:28 AM
I was always very seriously committed to reading books in the traditional format. Last year I found myself moving quickly and when I looked at all the hardcover books my wife and I had bought over the years we were in the house it was staggering. Over 100 Nora Roberts books alone! These weren't collectible books they were all just the "new" book from Nora...J.D.Robb (same)...King...Koontz...Simmons...Fowlett...

It just went on and on and I realized nobody even wanted these books so I donated them to the library. Books from WalMart are like DVD's from WalMart. You watch it once and then it sits on your shelf and rots for the rest of time.

I still collect my Conan graphic novels so I get a page to turn every now and then and I do miss it but I want my books portable from here on out.

kirin
06-03-2012, 12:55 AM
I considered a kindle but in the end I went for a small cheapish android tablet the kindle app is free and I can also read comics in full colour and other ebook formats are available for my purchase so just always go for the cheapest I was reading kindle on my galaxy s2 but the tablets bigger screen makes for a better reading experience

ELazansky
06-03-2012, 01:59 AM
I use the Kindle app on my Galaxy Tab as well, but only as a backup. If I'm in direct sunlight, the glare is very strong, where on the Kindle itself, I can read perfectly in the sun.

Cook
06-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Kindle is the best for reading in bed, super lightweight, you fall asleep... it auto offs, & you don't lose your place in the story.

Jean
06-09-2012, 08:53 AM
now that I have my new wonderful Kindle, I have to say that it is not only awesome - it is flawless. I adore it.

Mattrick
06-09-2012, 08:56 AM
I still won't ever want a kindle, I love books far too much. My friend was 60% through Count of Monte Cristo and it just fucked up on him, it's a paperweight now, only had it for 6 months...now he's pissed he can't finish it. On the brightsie he's finally going to read Notes From Underground :D

Jean
06-09-2012, 08:57 AM
I still won't ever want a kindle, I love books far too much.how are the two opposite?

mae
06-09-2012, 10:13 AM
I still won't ever want a kindle, I love books far too much.how are the two opposite?

I think he means, and I agree, that he enjoys books not simply as text but as physical objects as well.

Mattrick
06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
I like physically having a book; having my collection build on my shelf, be able to lend them out and exchange books with friends, the smell of the paper, the weight of a grandoise book in my hands and seeing me progress through the pages inch by inch...I can't imagine getting the same satisfaction out of reading on a screen as I could holding a book. It's just not romantic enough for me I suppose

Jean
06-09-2012, 10:25 AM

I think he means, and I agree, that he enjoys books not simply as text but as physical objects as well.

I like physically having a book; having my collection build on my shelf, be able to lend them out and exchange books with friends, the smell of the paper, the weight of a grandoise book in my hands and seeing me progress through the pages inch by inch...I can't imagine getting the same satisfaction out of reading on a screen as I could holding a book. It's just not romantic enough for me I suppose
I understand all this very well. I still don't see how enjoying one can subtract from enjoying the other. I've read the arguments of the "book" side and have been unable to understand why you seem to think that using kindle will somehow preclude you from smelling the paper etc. It's like saying, "I'll never eat icecream because there's nothing like fresh milk".

mtdman
06-09-2012, 10:42 AM

I understand all this very well. I still don't see how enjoying one can subtract from enjoying the other. I've read the arguments of the "book" side and have been unable to understand why you seem to think that using kindle will somehow preclude you from smelling the paper etc. It's like saying, "I'll never eat icecream because there's nothing like fresh milk".

That's not a very good analogy, imo. You can eat both ice cream and milk. When you read a book, you can either read on one or the other at one time. I don't have to chose to eat either ice cream or milk. I do have to chose which to use to read a book, I can't read on both at the same time.

Given that choice, I'm going to pick the paper book every time. The feel of the book, the smell of the paper, the experience of having the book in my hands is part of reading. When I read on a computer screen I feel like it's not real. I almost feel like I have to go back and read the story again in an actual book, or else it doesn't count.

And if I like reading an actual book, why would I get an e reader?

Mattrick
06-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Other than the fact I have to spend money on a kindle and then buy books for it, when I can simply buy the book and save myself money...and books don't need power lol The only good argument for a Kindle is that it helps prevent use of paper so the more people that use them the better really, I'm pretty environmentally concious but I like books to much so the environment can deal considering all the rest I do for it lol

ELazansky
06-09-2012, 10:49 AM

That's not a very good analogy, imo. You can eat both ice cream and milk. When you read a book, you can either read on one or the other at one time. I don't have to chose to eat either ice cream or milk. I do have to chose which to use to read a book, I can't read on both at the same time.

Given that choice, I'm going to pick the paper book every time. The feel of the book, the smell of the paper, the experience of having the book in my hands is part of reading. When I read on a computer screen I feel like it's not real. I almost feel like I have to go back and read the story again in an actual book, or else it doesn't count.

And if I like reading an actual book, why would I get an e reader?

I read actual books on my e reader - same words and everything.

This argument will go on forever. You either enjoy e readers or you don't. As long as we are all reading...can't we all just get along? :-D

Jean
06-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I still don't understand where the controversy stems from. Why "choice"?

I read a book when:

1. I can afford to buy one
2. It can be found in St.Petersburg
3. I am at home

I read Kindle when:

1. I can't get the book I want (either too expensive, or just plain impossible to find)
2. I am not at home and don't want to either ruin a book, or haul a heavy book, or both (I have no car and get about by bus, subway and on foot)
3. In addition to this, if the journey before me is long, and the book I am reading is coming to an end, this was always a big problem of choice. Now it isn't.

Finally, all of my apartment (kitchen and bathroom including) is the size of an average bus, it is all filled with books (so is my mother's apartment) and I just can't find room for new books. Now I can have as many as I want.

Mattrick
06-09-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm poor and buy most of my books used for a few bucks each haha. A new book for 15-20 dollars just isn't happening lol

Jean
06-09-2012, 11:09 AM
I'm poor and buy most of my books used for a few bucks each haha. A new book for 15-20 dollars just isn't happening lol
see? Yes, when I go abroad, I buy and bring here a lot of used books, this is something I can barely afford. Now I will be able to bring other things instead - such as, for example, presents for my friends and family. Or medicines. Or - I can think of thousand things we need here, and I never brought, because I only used to bring fucking books.

Mattrick
06-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I know any Vonnegut or Dostoevsky I get will be new...can't find that stuff used anywhere *grumble* Another reason I like books; they help me exercise. I have a huge backpack with about 15 Stephen King hardcovers in I go running with on haha

Jean
06-09-2012, 11:17 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_hahaha.gif

Cook
06-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Mattrick,
I can't find your collection thread, Do you have it under a different name?
I'm always interested to see new collections.

noal
06-09-2012, 02:36 PM
I have Kindle on my Android phone and it is wonderful, but yes, I prefer real books.
I'm just old fashioned, I really don't have a strong opinion either way.
Although I will say that when travelling or on holiday, a kindle app is most useful.

Mattrick
06-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Mattrick,
I can't find your collection thread, Do you have it under a different name?
I'm always interested to see new collections.

I don't have a collection thread. My own personal collection is over 200 books and if I included all books in my house it would be approximately 2,000. I should make one I guess.

WeDealInLead
06-09-2012, 02:51 PM
I find e-readers to be utilitarian. It's something you read while you're doing something else. Someone compared it to an MP3 and that's exactly what it is to me. I only listen to mine when I'm at the gym, doing something else. If I want to fully immerse myself and really get lost in a book, I need ink on paper, not a computer file. Also, paperbacks fit in the back pocket, why are you guys mentioning how a nook/kindle is more convenient? PBs are also less fragile than an electronic device.

I mean, it really doesn't matter to me if you read a kindle or a book or a manuscript but here are a few things you can't do with your e-reader:
1) throw it across the room or slam it down when a book hurts you, disapoints you, angers you or breaks your heart (dt 7)
2) can't lend it to a friend (my pb The Gunslinger has serious mileage. Thanks to it, King has at least 5 more Constant Readers of DT)
3) no resale value whatsoever. Are there returns? There are on printed books.
4) a local book store closed a few months back. They were doing fine until e-books.

noal
06-09-2012, 02:52 PM
My collection is just paperbacks.:cry:

No signed or special editions!

Should I bother with a thread?

Ricky
06-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Yes, yes, and yes.

mae
06-09-2012, 03:57 PM

I don't consider paperbacks real book either :P

jhanic
06-09-2012, 04:50 PM

Yes! Every collections starts somewhere, and the paperbacks are as good a place as any!

John

sgc1999
06-09-2012, 05:11 PM
I Love my Kindle. The led light that pulls out from the case i bought is perfect. I can read before bed without a need for a bulky booklight.
I will say the claim that you can hold 2000 books is a bit weak. I had just over 1500 and it started acting wonky. LOL who the hell really needs 2000 books at once anyway:)
Also i charge my kindle evry two of three weeks and even with the light on every night for a couple hours it holds its charge that long.
Also love my books but only as collectables, unless they have pictures then i might rifle through a hardcover now and then. :)

noal
06-10-2012, 07:02 AM

I don't consider paperbacks real book either :P

That means I only own about ten books then! :doh:

noal
06-10-2012, 07:04 AM

Yes! Every collections starts somewhere, and the paperbacks are as good a place as any!

John

I just know that if I start a proper collection I will become addicted and spend all my money on books!

Need.... to...... resist!:lol:

jhanic
06-10-2012, 09:23 AM

John

I just know that if I start a proper collection I will become addicted and spend all my money on books!

Need.... to...... resist!:lol:

It IS addictive!

John

Cook
06-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Kindle is the best for reading in bed, super lightweight, you fall asleep... it auto offs, & you don't lose your place in the story.

It also drives me crazy when my hand cramps holding a paperback book open, especially thick ones like the stand.

Brice
06-10-2012, 07:52 PM
No kindle for me....not because any aversion to them or overzealous loyalty to books. I dropped my tablet a while back and just haven't replaced it. I'm now back to walking down the street reading. I actually liked my non kindle tablet.

sgc1999
06-11-2012, 10:45 AM
if anyones looking heres a god deal. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazon-Kindle-Keyboard-4GB-Wi-Fi-6in-Graphite-BRAND-NEW-SEALED-IN-BOX-/261043058087?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item3cc760f5a7

stone, rose, unfound door
06-11-2012, 02:05 PM
This may not be relevant for most of you guys, but I mostly read on my Kindle in public transports. I have a 40-minute metro ride everyday (there and back) so I have enough time to read one chapter each way. I've been really lazy lately, though ^^ At least I don't have to carry heavy books anymore and I get to choose what I read all the time (not like sticking with that one boring story you've finally finished after 2 years because you started it).

mae
06-13-2012, 08:45 AM
I mostly read on my Kindle in public transports.

For me, this wouldn't work. I need complete quiet to read.

Jean
06-13-2012, 09:03 AM
This may not be relevant for most of you guys, but I mostly read on my Kindle in public transports.
Yes.
One more thing - in addition to what I already said above - is that in our country winter lasts from mid-October to mid-April, and the few summer days are to be cherished. I try to spend outside as much time as I can, and taking actual books is a very poor option comparing to kindle - and in case of books, I would also take my other spectacles, which would make my bag even heavier (I have no car, remember?)

Brice
06-14-2012, 08:03 PM
(I have no car, remember?)Furthur evidence that brices are bears and/or bears are brices.

Jean
06-15-2012, 01:31 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/BEAR-HUG.jpg
http://geek-craft.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Cthulhu-Carebear.jpg

Brice
06-17-2012, 08:56 PM
bearthulhu <3 :emot-cthulhu:

Jean
08-29-2012, 09:22 AM
dear friends,

although this thread started as King-related, we're now discussing Kindle as such (which was to be expected), so I hope Christine doesn't mind that I've moved this thread

P.S. Kindle RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Kindle ebooks now outsell paperbacks already. I did not think this would happen quite as quickly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12305015

WeDealInLead
08-29-2012, 11:02 AM
I might be getting a Kobo on Sunday. There's some weird promotion at a furniture sale this weekend... spend $700, get a free Kobo. So I might be joining the e-reader camp.

TwistedNadine
08-30-2012, 07:23 AM
I like the Kindle only because I dont have to wear reading glasses.
After a few books on the Kindle I HAVE to pick up a "real" book and read it because I miss the feel of it.

Drifter13
08-30-2012, 07:44 AM
yea i think there is a time and place for both e books and real paper books. personally i couldnt find a place to put all my books in my apartment so i went the nook route just to save space. easily transported and if im at the coffee shop or having lunch somewhere i can download a newspaper or magazine for quick light reading. but paper books are better because you can easily lend them to someone.

Ka-mai
09-02-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm trying to seriously downsize my possessions, so my Kindle is really helping me get rid of cheap paperbacks. I still have plenty of books, mostly ones I'm attached to, but it's making a major improvement in the amount of stuff I own. Also, most Kindle books are cheaper, and I'm poor, so it helps.

Also, stone, rose, unfound door is right, they are excellent for public transport. It's the major reason I got one - struggling with a huge hardback, a purse and a school bag was impossible in rush hour.

Jean
09-03-2012, 01:05 AM
absolutely

I remember reading Needful Things (hardback) on the subway. I happen to be taller than most people, so every time I produced this encyclopedia-size volume, someone said every fucking time, "Why don't you just put it on top of my head?!"

Patrick
09-03-2012, 10:27 PM
absolutely

I remember reading Needful Things (hardback) on the subway. I happen to be taller than most people, so every time I produced this encyclopedia-size volume, someone said every fucking time, "Why don't you just put it on top of my head?!"
:lol:

Ka-mai
09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
As a short person, I find that hilarious. :lol: Maybe I could make extra money as a bookrest during my commute? :orely:

Brice
09-06-2012, 06:04 AM
absolutely

...and of course bears are of an obliging disposition...

Jean
09-06-2012, 07:02 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

Mattrick
09-09-2012, 09:50 AM
My issue with Kindle is cost. Not only would have I have to pay for a Kindle AND the Ebooks, I would have to buy a tangible edition as well. One day a I will see a bookshelve will just have a Kindle on it and I will cry :'(

PBear71
10-09-2013, 04:49 PM
So, I looked and I didn't see this question (If I missed it I am terribly sorry.) What is your preference an E-reader (Kindle, Nook etc.) Or real books? Why do you prefer it?

As for me I can go either way but I love the smell of a real book so I keep getting drawn back to them.

Joe315
10-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Kindle and iPad. Mainly for convenience sake as I can carry hundreds of books. I took 12 books with me on a vacation once and it was very cumbersome. The iPad makes it so much easier. I do love everything about books which is why I still buy them. I do read physical books on occasion if I can't find an ebook version.

Bad Penny
10-09-2013, 11:00 PM
It took many years to convince me that an eReader was the wave of the future, as, having been an avid devourer of the printed page since age 6, nothing beats the feel, smell and heft of the genuine article. I received a Kindle as a gift maybe 18 months back, and haven't looked back - sure, I still collect books for the authors I love (gotta have me those first editions, limited editions, et al) but for ease of access, transportability, compensation for my failing eyesight, etc, Kindle works for me just fine :smile:

Jean
10-10-2013, 01:48 AM
bump

Jean
10-10-2013, 01:49 AM
there is a thread here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?11293-Arguments-for-the-Kindle&highlight=kindle), I've bumped it for you

I'll do the merge soon

there's nothing like Kindle. Nothing.

PBear71
10-10-2013, 04:02 AM
Ah, well sorry for re-posting the question. Thank you very much for the link.

Ben Staad
10-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Already crying. I do not like e-books.

My issue with Kindle is cost. Not only would have I have to pay for a Kindle AND the Ebooks, I would have to buy a tangible edition as well. One day a I will see a bookshelve will just have a Kindle on it and I will cry :'(

Mattrick
10-10-2013, 09:08 AM
What's with the blocks in the text? Can we not say Kindle?

Girlystevedave
10-10-2013, 09:45 AM
So, I looked and I didn't see this question (If I missed it I am terribly sorry.) What is your preference an E-reader (Kindle, Nook etc.) Or real books? Why do you prefer it?

As for me I can go either way but I love the smell of a real book so I keep getting drawn back to them.

Agreed.

I have a Kindle that I received as a gift, but have only read library books on it. I absolutely refuse to buy a book for it.
I could have bought the Doctor Sleep e-book the day that it was released for a fairly cheap price, but held out for the paper version.
And a paperback book is one of the most beautiful items on the planet. The feel of the cover and pages. The smell. :wub:

ELazansky
10-10-2013, 10:11 AM
I love books. A love looking at all of the books on my shelf, especially the well made ones. That being said, I buy all of my new books for reading on my Kindle. The new Paperwhite is so lightweight, can be used in the dark, and for me, is much easier to read than a book. Whenever I am heading for vacation, I load it up with reading material and I am on my way. As I get older, it is just more convenient for me.

Ka-mai
10-10-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm on a minimalist streak now, trying to get rid of as many possessions as I can. The Kindle is a godsend. Moving my fiance's entire book collection (which is massive) to his new apartment on a day with a windchill of about 20 degrees also helped to convert me. :P However, I still love real books, and have held on to several which are sentimental to me (or which have a lot of pictures; the Kindle is not good for photos or illustrations). So I can see both sides. I also might feel differently if I had a permanent residence and didn't have to worry about packing and unpacking my collection.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-10-2013, 05:47 PM
I love books. For me, the tactile experience of reading a book is irreplaceable. I love the smell. I love to look at them on my shelf. I also love how it sparks conversations among friends who see the books on the shelf. I will always choose to buy books from certain authors, and classics of course. That said, I do read books on my ipad. This is largely do to the fact that a friend of mine gave me a thumbdrive with about 500 books on it. So, they are there, why not read them. I enjoy the ability to look up words and research certain passages at a whim, as well as have traslations and concordances handy. I also like that I can reverse the lighting. (white letters on a black background) and read at night without disturbing my wife. This all leads to the fact that I always have at least two books going. One physical book that I carry around with me, take to work etc., and one that I am reading on the ipad, primarily in bed. I also like that I can have many books (mostly non fiction) going at once, and the ipad will keep my place for me.

Ben Staad
10-10-2013, 06:29 PM
kindle.

needfulthings
10-10-2013, 08:24 PM
WHAT WAS THE QUESTION?
http://imageshack.us/a/img5/9559/uyvw.jpg

Mattrick
10-11-2013, 02:57 AM
I can see it now...weird. Earlier in every post only the word Kindle was a black box...

Jean
10-11-2013, 03:47 AM
it is weird. I know that I found this thread using search, so it was expected that I saw the results with the search word in a brown box - that's how search results are always highlighted here. But it didn't go away after I posted, refreshed, and reloaded the page. That was already weird. But that someone else should see it the way I did - is totally extraordinary.

sgc1999
10-11-2013, 05:45 AM
No matter how bloated the novel you can still drop it on your foot:)

Ka-mai
10-12-2013, 01:10 PM
I don't find Kindles to be very expensive... about $100, and generally the e-book is cheaper than a hard copy because they aren't charging for binding and ink. Classics where the copyright is expired are often free or only a dollar. So you can make your money back very quickly - within 5-20 books, depending.

Mattrick
10-12-2013, 03:35 PM
But E-books don't tangibly exist, meaning you're paying for data, I'm paying for something doesn't vanish, like my friends KoBo and his EBooks, when it broke. Generally my books cost me les than ten dollars anyways, unless I'm buying a scarce edition but then there is another reason I'll never own an EReader, you cant really find a nice edition of an eBook. I can see reasons for an eBook but I'd rather carry around a thousand page beast around than have a whole library with me, I only read two books at a time and one stays in my washroom lol.

Ben Staad
10-12-2013, 05:26 PM
True. The initial investment is cheaper however when your reader breaks it is gone...until you buy a new reader. In most cases the new reader will cost more than the last one and you bought and, fingers crossed, the format is still compatible.

But E-books don't tangibly exist, meaning you're paying for data, I'm paying for something doesn't vanish, like my friends KoBo and his EBooks, when it broke. Generally my books cost me les than ten dollars anyways, unless I'm buying a scarce edition but then there is another reason I'll never own an EReader, you cant really find a nice edition of an eBook. I can see reasons for an eBook but I'd rather carry around a thousand page beast around than have a whole library with me, I only read two books at a time and one stays in my washroom lol.

Jean
10-13-2013, 10:48 AM
and, fingers crossed, the format is still compatible. as far as I know, all formats can be (re)converted

Mattrick
10-13-2013, 11:59 AM
My friend got 100 free books...I already owned 3/4 of them lol

Ka-mai
10-13-2013, 01:38 PM
My Kindle has been dropped several times and works perfectly. They're pretty hard to destroy. And if it were a house fire or flood, you'd be better off buying a new Kindle and re-downloading from the cloud than repurchasing hundreds of books. Last I checked, Amazon still sells the older versions while selling newer versions, so you can still get an inexpensive one, and there's the secondary market. I also don't think the format has changed since they came out, and I think mine reads a few different file types.

Ben Staad
10-13-2013, 02:15 PM
I don't doubt you however I may not be tech savvy enough to make it happen. I tried when I owned them and even using calibre things couldn't be converted.

and, fingers crossed, the format is still compatible. as far as I know, all formats can be (re)converted

Jean
10-13-2013, 10:03 PM
as soon as I sort things out with my computer (must be some time soon), just ask me if you need something converted. These files are not big. You send one to me, I send it back to you converted.

Ben Staad
10-14-2013, 04:46 AM
Thank you for the offer.

as soon as I sort things out with my computer (must be some time soon), just ask me if you need something converted. These files are not big. You send one to me, I send it back to you converted.

RUBE
10-16-2013, 08:11 PM
I own a Nook and really like to read on it (recently read ASOIAF on it). However, there is still something about physical books that I can't quite describe that makes me want to own them. Any novel I get really excited about (mainly ones by King) I try to get a hard copy. The cost of getting a hard copy forces me to read more on my Nook though. I actually typed this message from my Nook as well.

Yaksha
10-17-2013, 01:45 PM
I love the feel, the smell of a real damn book. Not into the whole e reader shit mainly because I love the feel of a good book. I've been reading since I taught myself how at the age of 6. An e reader is too impersonal, unemotional. It doesn't feel right.

Jean
10-18-2013, 04:35 AM
threads merged as promised